11/28 | Brown Bears | 7PM (ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Re: 11/28 Brown

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Not Mike Powell wrote: 5 years ago Fatts is bad. Probably a DII Calaber Player. I just don't think he can compete with his size and skill level. He's played well in 3/36 games he's played in his college career. I just don't think this guy is a long term fit here. Sorrey.
Yikes man.
Go Rhody
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Why do I feel so bad after a 20 point win over Brown. If Brown had some of the sharp shooters of the recent past, this game may have played out different.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Not Mike Powell wrote: 5 years ago Yeah, Fatts has played well vs. PC and Oklahoma, and...Harvard? Ok, awesome. This guy is brutal to watch and is killing the team. Cox gives him the reigns to do whatever he wants and it isn't making anyone else better. All the freshmen are so concerned with their stats they chuck the ball every chance they get. See; Tyrese Martin and Omar Silverio. I am drowning in the depths of Fatts's shooting percentage.
So we’re indiciting freshmen and their entire career progression based on 6 games, but the great games when we needed Fatts to step up as a freshman we throw those out because it doesn’t help your argument?

Yes if you take out our first win against our biggest rival in almost a decade where Fatts dropped 20, or you take out the time he embarrassed the NPOY on the biggest stage incollege basketball - Fatts wasn’t as impressive his freshman year.

He was buried on the depth chart and was only needed sparingly. He came through then and he’ll adjust now and come through again.

You’re high on some shit.

It’s a brand new team where only 1 player is coming back to his same position, and even he has to adjust to a new role.

Now I would’ve liked to see Fatts taken out earlier than he was, because he needs to get right, but if you think that kid is actually a 15% 3 point shooter you need to buy this awesome bridge from me.

Cox is a new coach. All of these players are new to each other and the college game. Just breathe for a second.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Obadiah wrote: 5 years ago Why do I feel so bad after a 20 point win over Brown. If Brown had some of the sharp shooters of the recent past, this game may have played out different.
and if my aunt had......
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

Blue Man wrote: 5 years ago
Not Mike Powell wrote: 5 years ago Yeah, Fatts has played well vs. PC and Oklahoma, and...Harvard? Ok, awesome. This guy is brutal to watch and is killing the team. Cox gives him the reigns to do whatever he wants and it isn't making anyone else better. All the freshmen are so concerned with their stats they chuck the ball every chance they get. See; Tyrese Martin and Omar Silverio. I am drowning in the depths of Fatts's shooting percentage.
So we’re indiciting freshmen and their entire career progression based on 6 games, but the great games when we needed Fatts to step up as a freshman we throw those out because it doesn’t help your argument?

Yes if you take out our first win against our biggest rival in almost a decade where Fatts dropped 20, or you take out the time he embarrassed the NPOY on the biggest stage incollege basketball - Fatts wasn’t as impressive his freshman year.

He was buried on the depth chart and was only needed sparingly. He came through then and he’ll adjust now and come through again.

You’re high on some shit.

It’s a brand new team where only 1 player is coming back to his same position, and even he has to adjust to a new role.

Now I would’ve liked to see Fatts taken out earlier than he was, because he needs to get right, but if you think that kid is actually a 15% 3 point shooter you need to buy this awesome bridge from me.

Cox is a new coach. All of these players are new to each other and the college game. Just breathe for a second.
I agree with this. We've seen what Fatts is capable of. He's better than how he's been playing as of late. It could be the pressure of trying to be a team leader or be the guy. He needs time to adjust. It was disgusting to hear some of the "fans" boo the kid over in my section last night.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Good win!

How about that Preston blocked dunk!
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

It's nice to win, but the way we won this one is not sustainable against quality opponents and is fools gold.

Fatts needs to get right, and the frosh need to continue to contribute more. This game was good for getting Harris and Tate's confidence up.

Reading through this, Harris is hurt, Fatts is hurt, Tate is hurt...what is the truth? Every team has its share of injuries 2 months in.
Last edited by RIFan 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

I think part of the problem is all the fans and probably Fatts assumed that he would be the savior and would step in and dominate. That might not be what he is built for, although he should improve as some of these other freshman develop their games. He is playing awful and it is in his head. He talked up his game a great deal before the season and got a lot of hype from the media which he is trying to back up with bad shots because he is pressing. He is in a new role similiar to the freshman as a starter and one of the lead scorers. He will get better and I think he comes out focused for PC. We may have to realize that he is a streaky player(not shooter) and he will need to develop discipline. I think that this is a development year for everyone with a shot to win postseason A-10 tourney at the end of year and to set us up for a strong team with NCAA aspirations in 2019-20. Anyone worried about resumes and auto bids will be severly disappointed. I think Harris and Tate playing well was a much bigger story than Fatts last night.
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote: 5 years ago
RhodyRam86 wrote: 5 years ago random thoughts:

Cyril---agree with a few others that this was a bit of fool's gold. He is a man down low, but his consistent contributions will come in the form of rebounds, put backs and garbage points. I don't think he should be the focal point of the offense in most games.

Harris---great effort---glad to see him very aggressive with the ball and rebounding. But let's not get carried away. He is still a freshman and he will likely have a number more clunkers along the way, but it's great to see his potential and that he has some touch 5 feet from the basket.

Fatts---for those of you that think he is a streaky shooter---he's not. I don't recall him ever hitting 4 shots in a row or 4 out 5. that's what streaky shooters do. as of now, he is just not a good shooter despite having a couple of good halves in marquis games or hitting a big 3 against Harvard. I still think he can be a star, but he needs to reel it in for now. I mentioned it after the SB game and a couple others have mentioned it here, I would strongly consider moving him to the bench to start games. you can still give him 30 minutes of PT, but I would like to give Martin a chance to start and see if we can get him going.

Martin---my buddy says he's snake bitten. I agree. he's been aggressive at times....passive at other times. I still think he looks like a player. he needs to see the ball go through the twine a few times. he'll be fine.

I like the win...but it might have been the ugliest 20 point win I've seen in a while...
final 4 minutes of the 1st half last year against PC: Fatts 4-4, 2-2 from 3, 10pts
final 3 minutes of the 1st half against Brown: Fatts 5-5, 3-3 from 3, 13pts
2nd half against Oklahoma: Fatts has a 4-4 run, 3-3 from 3 to put them ahead

try watching some games then...

i'm going to have to take your word for it because I don't have time to research those numbers. so I was wrong...he has had a few streaky runs (I did say he has had a few good halves). still wouldn't call him a streaky shooter and stand by my statement that he is not a good shooter...yet.

and I do recall one of those 3s vs. PC being a bank shot. yeah...they all count, but...
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

People here who are down on Fatts are, to be diplomatic, being very short sighted. This is a coaching issue, unless in the end he proves to be un-coachable, which is highly unlikely. I predict there will be eating of crow by some.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Re: 11/28 | Brown Bears | 7PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

It’s interesting to see the split of opinion between those who want more touches for Langevine and those who think that strategy is unsustainable against good competition. I still lean with the unsustainable group but not as heavily as I did.

If you’re going to make a low post player the focal point of your offense, he needs to be a an excellent passer and a good free throw shooter. You can tell Langevine has been working on his awareness. He is recognizing double teams better, passing out of the post more, and even passed it out after grabbing an offensive rebound when he didn’t have an easy put back available. This cuts down on turnovers and offensive fouls. And a pass out of the post would hopefully increase our 3 point percentage and, at the same time, allow Langevine to be an offensive rebounder on a miss.

BAR mentioned Harris as the focal point down low. He did look smooth yesterday but I don’t think he was doubled at all. Be interesting to see how he handles a double team.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Running Ram wrote: 5 years ago People here who are down on Fatts are, to be diplomatic, being very short sighted. This is a coaching issue, unless in the end he proves to be un-coachable, which is highly unlikely. I predict there will be eating of crow by some.
A coaching issue?!?! Do tell.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

URI2006_Andy wrote: 5 years ago It’s interesting to see the split of opinion between those who want more touches for Langevine and those who think that strategy is unsustainable against good competition. I still lean with the unsustainable group but not as heavily as I did.

If you’re going to make a low post player the focal point of your offense, he needs to be a an excellent passer and a good free throw shooter. You can tell Langevine has been working on his awareness. He is recognizing double teams better, passing out of the post more, and even passed it out after grabbing an offensive rebound when he didn’t have an easy put back available. This cuts down on turnovers and offensive fouls. And a pass out of the post would hopefully increase our 3 point percentage and, at the same time, allow Langevine to be an offensive rebounder on a miss.

BAR mentioned Harris as the focal point down low. He did look smooth yesterday but I don’t think he was doubled at all. Be interesting to see how he handles a double team.
I don't want to be misunderstood, Cyril's performance thus far has been outstanding. God knows where we would be without him. I just don't think he is ever going to be a high ball skills/smooth offensive player you run offense through. He has evolved from being purely a bull in a china shop type and has impressed with more touch around the rim and from the foul line. He even hit a 15 footer yesterday which I am pretty sure is the first shot he has made as a Ram from beyond 3 feet. Progress! I just think that over usage of him will expose flaws. He does have 21 turnovers in 5 games. That is a lot. He doesn't pass the rock all that well. He hasn't shown a consistent shot beyond 3-5 feet. These things may come but right now I haven't seen it enough to feel comfortable with going to him as a focal point of the offense. His best usage is on dump offs, grabbing boards and put backs, and the occasional iso when he has a favorable size or athletic advantage.
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago
URI2006_Andy wrote: 5 years ago It’s interesting to see the split of opinion between those who want more touches for Langevine and those who think that strategy is unsustainable against good competition. I still lean with the unsustainable group but not as heavily as I did.

I don't want to be misunderstood, Cyril's performance thus far has been outstanding. God knows where we would be without him. I just don't think he is ever going to be a high ball skills/smooth offensive player you run offense through. He has evolved from being purely a bull in a china shop type and has impressed with more touch around the rim and from the foul line. He even hit a 15 footer yesterday which I am pretty sure is the first shot he has made as a Ram from beyond 3 feet. Progress! I just think that over usage of him will expose flaws. He does have 21 turnovers in 5 games. That is a lot. He doesn't pass the rock all that well. He hasn't shown a consistent shot beyond 3-5 feet. These things may come but right now I haven't seen it enough to feel comfortable with going to him as a focal point of the offense. His best usage is on dump offs, grabbing boards and put backs, and the occasional iso when he has a favorable size or athletic advantage.
I feel the same way you do and my only add is that I feel he’s working on reducing his turnovers by looking to pass more, something he was not looking to do at all earlier in the season.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Fatts will be fine. Got a little technique thing going on to fix. He’s smart and works hard it will happen.

Can’t teach speed tho it’s a gift and Fatts has it. Fast guys that can handle the rock were always welcome on the teams I coached. The silly stuff is easy to fix. Speed and dribbling skills combined in one player like Russell is rare.

Y’all truly have no idea how fast this kid is until you see it at court level....and how much pure speed scares opposing coaches.

If it’s fixed Saturday night things could get interesting....
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Agree with all of that, he just has to eliminate off the dribble contested threes. They are low percentage for even the best shooters. He is a very good passer, and he draws attention on penetration, if he looks to find others everything will open up for him. He is still someone teams have on their scouting report and that is valuable.
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago Agree with all of that, he just has to eliminate off the dribble contested threes. They are low percentage for even the best shooters. He is a very good passer, and he draws attention on penetration, if he looks to find others everything will open up for him. He is still someone teams have on their scouting report and that is valuable.
Those contested 3’s really is what’s killing him and the team, I blame Step Curry, he makes contested 3’s look easy. Fatts was playing great a good chunk of the 1st half, he was letting the game come to him, he was looking to pass, and driving to the hoop, then he went to chucking up contested 3’s. We saw a glimps of the Fatts we need, and Cox seemed to keep him on the bench for a decent stretch in the 2nd half. At this point I think it’s up to Coach Cox to get tough on him when he reverts to “hero ball”. Cox is a very smart coach, I hope he has that fear factor to get this corrected, I was very encouraged when he was benched. Work in progress, but I was smiling a lot with the way our guys played yesterday, lots of fire, let’s hope that is how they are every game.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Fatts is providing an early career challenge for Coach Cox. Expected to be one of the best players on the team he's not so far. Rhody went on a run against Brown with him on the bench. If things don't change it will be a problem for the team and coach.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Hopefully the player will get the message.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago
Running Ram wrote: 5 years ago People here who are down on Fatts are, to be diplomatic, being very short sighted. This is a coaching issue, unless in the end he proves to be un-coachable, which is highly unlikely. I predict there will be eating of crow by some.
Really?!?

I'm very tired of blind allegiances without critical thought.

It's always a coach's job to get the best out of his/her players.

Neither am I saying D.C. is doing a bad job, nor do I expect him to do a bad job. I am saying he has a job to do with regards to getting Fatts to play to his strengths.

I expect Cox to be on a learning curve as a coach, I expect Fatts to be on a learning curve as a player, they are both young in their respective places. They will be fine, coach and player. We've seen enough from Fatts to know he will be a good D1 player on the whole.
Go Rhody!!!
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Running Ram wrote: 5 years ago
Really?!?

Neither am I saying D.C. is doing a bad job, nor do I expect him to do a bad job. I am saying he has a job to do with regards to getting Fatts to play to his strengths.

I expect Cox to be on a learning curve as a coach, I expect Fatts to be on a learning curve as a player, they are both young in their respective places. They will be fine, coach and player. We've seen enough from Fatts to know he will be a good D1 player on the whole.
I respectfully disagree.
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

Unread post by RhodyFanNotAlum »

Really?!?

I respectfully disagree.
It's interesting to see how polarized the opinion here is on Fatts. In truth, I don't think there's any guarantee that he's going to turn out "fine" -- though I do think the early indicators point in that direction. The truth is that he makes me nervous every time he touches the ball on offense, even when his shot is falling. I wouldn't have booed personally, but on a chilly Wednesday night in November I'd rather see passionate fans show up and boo than stay home. And if he's as good as many people here believe he will turn out to be, those boos should do nothing but light a fire under him.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Mongo wrote: 5 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago Agree with all of that, he just has to eliminate off the dribble contested threes. They are low percentage for even the best shooters. He is a very good passer, and he draws attention on penetration, if he looks to find others everything will open up for him. He is still someone teams have on their scouting report and that is valuable.
Those contested 3’s really is what’s killing him and the team, I blame Step Curry, he makes contested 3’s look easy. Fatts was playing great a good chunk of the 1st half, he was letting the game come to him, he was looking to pass, and driving to the hoop, then he went to chucking up contested 3’s. We saw a glimps of the Fatts we need, and Cox seemed to keep him on the bench for a decent stretch in the 2nd half. At this point I think it’s up to Coach Cox to get tough on him when he reverts to “hero ball”. Cox is a very smart coach, I hope he has that fear factor to get this corrected, I was very encouraged when he was benched. Work in progress, but I was smiling a lot with the way our guys played yesterday, lots of fire, let’s hope that is how they are every game.
You are right. Russell was on the bench during a run in the 2nd and looked a bit uncomfortable sitting there. Silverio looked good during a run especially with a very nice pass to Tate for a breakaway layup. We need Silverio because our guards are fewer in number than last year.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhody has also played Thompson at the SG. With Jeff at PG. A much bigger lineup and better defensive team on the floor. If Fatts is going to sit for an extended period, I would prefer Thompson at the SG and either Tate or Martin at SF.
Last edited by Rhody83 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
“We will be good when we are good.”
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Really?!?

I respectfully disagree.
What part of that do you disagree with? It was logical and fair and on point.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Not cool to boo college kids...the refs, have at it.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Never boo college kids......unless they engage in criminal behavior on the court.....our players as well as opposing players.....they are kids....
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

URI2006_Andy wrote: 5 years ago

I feel the same way you do and my only add is that I feel he’s working on reducing his turnovers by looking to pass more, something he was not looking to do at all earlier in the season.
Cyril only has 1 assist this season. He had 10 and 11 assists his 1st two seasons. I don't think he is trying to pass more.

I agree it is critically important for both Langevine and Harris to get off to good starts - it really helps their confidence. It is also up to the guards to get them the ball. I don't see us really working the ball inside very much and often see Langevine, and even more Harris, working for position to receive the pass but our guards have been 3 happy and sometimes over dribbling. I wonder of Dowtin takes more of the reins today?

11 Assists last game tell a picture:
1- Dowtin to Harris (great because it got Harris going and his confidence up)
2- Thompson to Langevine (got Langevine's confidence up)
3- Thompson to Langevine
4- Russell to Harris
5- Russell to Harris
6- Russell to Harris
7- Dowtin to Thompson
8- Silverio to Tate
9- Dowtin to Tate
10- Russell to Preston
11- Silverio to Preston

No assists to a guard except for Thompson. Of course you can't get an assist if you can't shoot the ball into the basket :(
The first 5 assists went to Langevine (2) and to Harris (3) - would like to see something similar to that vs PC today early in the game
The 1st assist was from a defensive rebound by Langevine, pass from Dowtin to Harris for a layup
Langevine was immense. Career high 19 points. Career high Offensive Rebounds with 12. Previous Offensive Rebound high was 7 vs VCU and 7 vs William & Mary
Langevines Offensive Rebounds so far this year:
Pace - 3 (total rebounds 7)
Bryant - 3 (total rebounds 8)
C of C - 5 (total rebounds 10)
Harvard - 3 (total rebounds 10)
Stony Brook - 6 (total rebounds 12)
Brown - 12 (total rebounds 17)

He has gradually increased his rebounds with each game 7,8,10,10,12,17, ??) Let's hope the trend continues today and keeps his double digit streak rolling. Would live to see Langevine A10 Player of the Week and Harris A10 Rookie of the Week come Monday

Langevine went 8-15 FGs vs Brown but several of those were from Offensive Rebounds and some were from his own missed shots that he put back

We need Langevine and Harris today to be off to a great start, key to that is the guards effectively looking for and feeding them, plus we need them to stay out of foul trouble

GO RHODY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......and I like what I have seen in the free throw stroke with Harris.....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Really?!?

I respectfully disagree.
What part of that do you disagree with? It was logical and fair and on point.
crickets....
Go Rhody!!!