Men's Basketball Transfer Carousel and Portal - 2024-25

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: Men's Basketball Transfer Carousel and Portal - 2024-25

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 week ago So, put Green at the 2? At our deepest position by far? That makes no sense.
Who said 2?
Certainly was not me
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ramster wrote: 1 week ago
Rhody15 wrote: 1 week ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 1 week ago So, put Green at the 2? At our deepest position by far? That makes no sense.
I mean, are you surprised Ramster said that?

He knows little to nothing, just makes monologue posts spewing a whole lotta nothing.
Reading comprehension issue number 99999999999
Nowhere did I say Green at the 2. Was just mentioned above by another poster Green is the perfect 3. Then Billyboy said 2????

Green took more 3FG’s per 40 minutes than anyone last year, including House. He was our best 3 point shooter and an excellent guy driving to the hoop.

Never said 2 for Green. You just make things up?
Thomas will be PG, our nice Nebraska transfer will likely be 2.
You literally said exactly that you god damn idiot.

"1. I think Green could end up at Shooting Guard."

Shooting Guard = 2

But again, you don't know much about basketball so not surprised you didn't know shooting guard meant the 2 guard.
Last edited by Rhody15 1 week ago, edited 1 time in total.
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

section(105) wrote: 1 week ago

Especially with a leaky packline.
1. I think Green could end up at Shooting Guard. Our best 3FG shooter last season, drives/slashes/weaves to the hoop as well as any player in the A10 and passes well. Traore or another Strong Forward tba could emerge. Note Abu Bakr makes this reference about Traore and 6-7 months to go before a starting 5 emerges. Like seeing Abu contrasting with Mr Negative Rhode Vault lately

2. Agree guards got beat a lot. Worst defensive player I’ve ever seen at URI was Brayon Freeman - Miller moved on him quickly. 2nd worst was Zek Montgomery - Miller moved him out of the starting line up, gave him many chances to get his starting role back but defense held him back. Miller likely starters are Fuchs, Green and Thomas. The other 2 slots will be a fight between Traore, Lawrence, House, Estevez and others. Good competition for the starting 5.

3. Leaky packline makes it sound like the packline is the issue. Miller called his defense F-. Not just F but F-minus!!!!
Miller has made many changes in the roster. Defensive performance or lack thereof was part of the roster changes.

Starting 5 is already better that last season
Soph Fuchs > Freshman Fuchs. He will be better with better defensive guards and guards who will look to find him with better passing

Green > last year Green. Better condition since he knows he will be eligible from day 1. Understands Millers system better. Better players around him.

Thomas > last year Thomas. Back home. Wanted back home. 77% FT shooter. Moved the ball passing. Can shoot and pass with either hand. Has shown improvement every year he plays. Expect more improvement this year.

Lawrence > last year Lawrence. 36% 3FG, 78% FT. Having Thomas and Lawrence shooting 78% FTs will be refreshing to say the least

House, Estevez, Traore and others all fighting it out for starting roles and playing time. All with 1 more year experience

Coaching - Miller said he wanted to go in another direction. New Assistant Coach.

Things are looking up. All positions improved.

Too early to call the starting 5 - which is a good thing.

IMG_3466.png
Yea man! 6'7' David Green who average under 1 assist to be our starting 2 guard!

Cam? Nah. Jaden? Nah. Lawrence? Nah.

The most prototypical forward David Green? Starting 2 guard! Over those 3 I just listed!

You nailed it!
Again,
Never said 2.
Green Could play similar role to Leggett - shooting guard/wing. Green Can shoot the 3FG at an even better % than Leggett, can drive to the hoop with good creativity, handles the ball well, passes well, good leadership.

Some A10 teams play a Center, 2 Forwards and 2 guards
Some play 3 Forwards, 2 guards
We played 4 guards last season prior to Green being eligible.

Green took the most 3FG Attempts of any rotation player in the team last year. More than House, Estevez, Montgomery. Green easily our most accurate 3FG shooter too.

Could argue Green at Power Forward now with Fuchs Center but optimistically looking at Miller and Staff bringing on a solid Power Forward to pair with Fuchs. Maybe that doesn’t happen but I’m confident good news is coming :D :D :D :D
Last edited by ramster 1 week ago, edited 1 time in total.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

1. I think Green could end up at Shooting Guard. Our best 3FG shooter last season, drives/slashes/weaves to the hoop as well as any player in the A10 and passes well. Traore or another Strong Forward tba could emerge. Note Abu Bakr makes this reference about Traore and 6-7 months to go before a starting 5 emerges. Like seeing Abu contrasting with Mr Negative Rhode Vault lately

2. Agree guards got beat a lot. Worst defensive player I’ve ever seen at URI was Brayon Freeman - Miller moved on him quickly. 2nd worst was Zek Montgomery - Miller moved him out of the starting line up, gave him many chances to get his starting role back but defense held him back. Miller likely starters are Fuchs, Green and Thomas. The other 2 slots will be a fight between Traore, Lawrence, House, Estevez and others. Good competition for the starting 5.

3. Leaky packline makes it sound like the packline is the issue. Miller called his defense F-. Not just F but F-minus!!!!
Miller has made many changes in the roster. Defensive performance or lack thereof was part of the roster changes.

Soph Fuchs > Freshman Fuchs. He will be better with better defensive guards and guards who will look to find him with better passing

Green > last year Green. Better condition since he knows he will be eligible from day 1. Understands Millers system better. Better players around him.

Thomas > last year Thomas. Back home. Wanted back home. 77% FT shooter. Moved the ball passing. Can shoot and pass with either hand. Has shown improvement every year he plays. Expect more improvement this year.

Lawrence > last year Lawrence. 36% 3FG, 78% FT. Having Thomas and Lawrence shooting 78% FTs will be refreshing to say the least

House, Estevez, Traore and others all fighting it out for starting roles and playing time. All with 1 more year experience

Coaching - Miller said he wanted to go in another direction. New Assistant Coach.

IMG_3466.png
Yea man! 6'7' David Green who average under 1 assist to be our starting 2 guard!

The most prototypical forward David Green? Starting 2 guard! Over those 3 I just listed!

You nailed it!
Again,
Never said 2.
Green Could play similar role to Leggett - shooting guard/wing. Green Can shoot the 3FG at an even better % than Leggett, can drive to the hoop with good creativity, handles the ball well, passes well, good leadership.

The literal first sentence of YOUR post says "I think Green could end up at shooting guard."

So yes, you thickheaded idiot, you did say Green at 2.
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

He knows little to nothing, just makes monologue posts spewing a whole lotta nothing.
Nowhere did I say Green at the 2. Was just mentioned above by another poster Green is the perfect 3. Then Billyboy said 2????

Green took more 3FG’s per 40 minutes than anyone last year, including House. He was our best 3 point shooter and an excellent guy driving to the hoop.

Huh?
"1. I think Green could end up at Shooting Guard. Our best 3FG shooter last season, drives/slashes/weaves to the hoop as well as any player in the A10 and passes well."

Maybe you look at things differently than I do but.....

1.PG
2.SG
3.SF
4.PF
5.C

I understand positionless basketball, but to me the SG has always been referred to as a 2.
Last edited by Billyboy78 1 week ago, edited 1 time in total.
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

adam914 wrote: 1 week ago
Blue Man wrote: 1 week ago To all on the side of reality here, just remember we are no longer talking to URI fans. We are talking to anti-Archie bots who have just decided that no amount of positive news will overshadow their own miserable worldview. Just like the same crew who said that we should fire Dan Hurley and if the players won it would be in spite of him.

Got a good player coming in? Doesn't matter who did we lose? Did we keep a good player? Doesn't matter the team sucked so did he. Other teams get kids from low level conferences? What a get! We get kids from low level conferences? They suck, no shot it'll work out. Other teams like Loyola get better by retaining players? Doesn't matter we suck our kids will never develop. Etc, etc, etc.

We're doing a great job of dispelling my notion that most of our fans SUCK.

There are like maybe 35 players in D1 that are 7' - 10% of the teams. I'm not sure why that's all of a sudden become a prerequisite to be a successful center at URI when we've had what...3 7 footers all time? Can anyone give me any other names besides Mike Anderson, Will Martell and Blake Vedder?

Our best shot blockers (Kenny Green and Hassan Martin) were nowhere close to 7'. Or 6'10. They were both 6'7/6'8. Our best rebounders were 6'7-6'8.

Our best bigs in the last 30 years: Cyril Langevine - 6'8. Hassan Martin - 6'7. Kaheim Seawright - 6'8. Andre Berry - 6'8. Luther Clay - 6'9. Kenny Green - 6'8. ARD - 6'7. Bonzie Colson - 6'9.

Our best historical teams haven't had a player in the rotation taller than 6'9.

David Fuchs is 6'9. David Fuchs was also a true freshman double double machine who improved as the season went on. He missed 5 games and we lost all 5 of them. He's important. And good. And will get better.

Seriously. If you're someone sitting here saying that we need to recruit over him or you're "out" on our chances next season, pick up a different hobby.
It is kind of funny, you'd think they'd have at least a bit of hesitation and think "well last time I declared a coach done and that he stunk he literally turned in to the best coach in college basketball, so maybe I should wait this one out a bit and see how it plays out". But no, must doom spiral at all times!
Yeah and some people want to use the per 40 minutes stats for Wilborn. But, dismiss the per 40minutes stats for Zapala.
Like they can not even be consistent with the way the troll. It is best to just skip over all the negative nancies. We will laugh in their faces when they are dead wrong.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

You nailed it!
Again,
Never said 2.

The literal first sentence of YOUR post says "I think Green could end up at shooting guard."

Good grief………. I never used numbers.

Nobody took more 3FG shots per minute last year or did it better than Green.

Fuchs
Traore or another big still to be announced
Green
Lawrence
Thomas

Estevez and House could battle for starting roles as well plus other possibilities

Positionless basketball

🏀
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 week ago
Blue Man wrote: 1 week ago What am I missing on Wilborn? I can't keep track of which angle people are taking to discredit our own guys to apply - but what need does Wilborn fill at URI?

He's the same measurables as Traore - though Traore rode the bench in one of the best conferences in the league, and this kid played more on one of the worst teams in one of the worst conferences in college basketball. Traore is also older and has spent 2 years playing against higher practice competition than Wilborn ever saw in a game, and spent a year playing for a college HOF coach.

Is this really a loss? He had roughly the same stats as Fuchs going up against future insurance sales reps while Fuchs was battling future pros.

If you're so set on this kid backing up Fuchs - why aren't you so sold on Traore?

He's a 56% FT shooter with 141 attempts.

What did we miss here?

This is the classic case of if we got him, people would be saying he sucks, he's not 7 feet, he came from nowhere, if he committed it wouldn't be good enough for anyone...but because he went somewhere else this is a "miss" and an indictment on our staff's inability to recruit. (ignoring the improved starting 5).
I don't normally use per 40 stats, but anyway, for Wilborn, they are Pts: 16.88, Reb: 11.56, Assists: 2.66, Blocks: 2.5.
Check out his per 40 stats

23.4 ppg
2.0 BLKS
13.4 REBS

So by your analysis Wilborn is worse than Zapala. But did you bring that up. No you didn't. Also a much better league. Zapala played against a future Pro in Drew Pember. And the big south Freshman of the year that could go Power5 anywhere in Bodo Bodo. He scored 17 points against both.

Also in the most important time of the year in the Conference Tourney.

Try again with your negative slant. Change your diaper. Please show us more you have absolutely no clue what your talking about,
Last edited by sevegny7 1 week ago, edited 1 time in total.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

sevegny7 wrote: 1 week ago
Blue Man wrote: 1 week ago To all on the side of reality here, just remember we are no longer talking to URI fans. We are talking to anti-Archie bots who have just decided that no amount of positive news will overshadow their own miserable worldview. Just like the same crew who said that we should fire Dan Hurley and if the players won it would be in spite of him.

Got a good player coming in? Doesn't matter who did we lose? Did we keep a good player? Doesn't matter the team sucked so did he. Other teams get kids from low level conferences? What a get! We get kids from low level conferences? They suck, no shot it'll work out. Other teams like Loyola get better by retaining players? Doesn't matter we suck our kids will never develop. Etc, etc, etc.

We're doing a great job of dispelling my notion that most of our fans SUCK.

There are like maybe 35 players in D1 that are 7' - 10% of the teams. I'm not sure why that's all of a sudden become a prerequisite to be a successful center at URI when we've had what...3 7 footers all time? Can anyone give me any other names besides Mike Anderson, Will Martell and Blake Vedder?

Our best shot blockers (Kenny Green and Hassan Martin) were nowhere close to 7'. Or 6'10. They were both 6'7/6'8. Our best rebounders were 6'7-6'8.

Our best bigs in the last 30 years: Cyril Langevine - 6'8. Hassan Martin - 6'7. Kaheim Seawright - 6'8. Andre Berry - 6'8. Luther Clay - 6'9. Kenny Green - 6'8. ARD - 6'7. Bonzie Colson - 6'9.

Our best historical teams haven't had a player in the rotation taller than 6'9.

David Fuchs is 6'9. David Fuchs was also a true freshman double double machine who improved as the season went on. He missed 5 games and we lost all 5 of them. He's important. And good. And will get better.

Seriously. If you're someone sitting here saying that we need to recruit over him or you're "out" on our chances next season, pick up a different hobby.
It is kind of funny, you'd think they'd have at least a bit of hesitation and think "well last time I declared a coach done and that he stunk he literally turned in to the best coach in college basketball, so maybe I should wait this one out a bit and see how it plays out". But no, must doom spiral at all times!
Yeah and some people want to use the per 40 minutes stats for Wilborn. But, dismiss the per 40minutes stats for Zapala.
Like they can not even be consistent with the way the troll. It is best to just skip over all the negative nancies. We will laugh in their faces when they are dead wrong.
Zapala will be in his 5th year. Wilborn will be in his 2nd. Easy choice for me.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Huh?
"1. I think Green could end up at Shooting Guard. Our best 3FG shooter last season, drives/slashes/weaves to the hoop as well as any player in the A10 and passes well."

Maybe you look at things differently than I do but.....

1.PG
2.SG
3.SF
4.PF
5.C

I understand positionless basketball, but to me the SG has always been referred to as a 2.
You are 100% correct Billyboy.

Every single person here besides Ramster knows the SG is referred to as the 2.

Ramster knows nothing, and seems to instantly forget what he posts.

He’ll now do some mental gymnastics to try and say he didn’t mean Green at the 2.
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote: 1 week ago What am I missing on Wilborn? I can't keep track of which angle people are taking to discredit our own guys to apply - but what need does Wilborn fill at URI?

He's the same measurables as Traore - though Traore rode the bench in one of the best conferences in the league, and this kid played more on one of the worst teams in one of the worst conferences in college basketball. Traore is also older and has spent 2 years playing against higher practice competition than Wilborn ever saw in a game, and spent a year playing for a college HOF coach.

Is this really a loss? He had roughly the same stats as Fuchs going up against future insurance sales reps while Fuchs was battling future pros.

If you're so set on this kid backing up Fuchs - why aren't you so sold on Traore?

What did we miss here?

This is the classic case of if we got him, people would be saying he sucks, he's not 7 feet, he came from nowhere, if he committed it wouldn't be good enough for anyone...but because he went somewhere else this is a "miss" and an indictment on our staff's inability to recruit. (ignoring the improved starting 5).
I don't normally use per 40 stats, but anyway, for Wilborn, they are Pts: 16.88, Reb: 11.56, Assists: 2.66, Blocks: 2.5.

23.4 ppg
2.0 BLKS
13.4 REBS

So by your analysis Wilborn is worse than Zapala. But did you bring that up. No you didn't. Also a much better league. Zapala played against a future Pro in Drew Pember. And the big south Freshman of the year that could go Power5 anywhere in Bodo Bodo. He scored 17 points against both.

Try again with your negative slant. Change your diaper.
Anyone who uses the phrase "change your diaper" suggests to me that they are a child, but, carry on.
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

23.4 ppg
2.0 BLKS
13.4 REBS

Anyone who uses the phrase "change your diaper" suggests to me that they are a child, but, carry on.
Dude you are clueless. Just shutup.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

What did we miss here?

You are missing the fact that he was only a freshman, being an impact player in his 1st year of Div. 1. I was hoping we would get him, but I am sure the staff has other options.
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Zapala will be in his 5th year. Wilborn will be in his 2nd. Easy choice for me.

He played in one of the worst leagues in D1. Enough said. You can not tell me Zapala would not have just as good stats as him in that league. He already beat those stats in a much higher conference.

And I was told by some of you posters "that players do not get better". So why is him being young matter if he does not get better.
Last edited by sevegny7 1 week ago, edited 1 time in total.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Lots of good ram on ram name calling and insults a-flying. Just waiting for the personal threats to pop up now... nitwits are always good for that. 👍

Good message boarding! 🤪
spar
Kenny Green

Unread post by spar »

23.4 ppg
2.0 BLKS
13.4 REBS

With all of the whining and complaining you do on this board, it actually seems very fitting.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

You nailed it!
Again,
Never said 2.

Jesus Christ (sorry for triggering some of you), you're going for the leg sweep huh, Johnny? Lol

To quote the Falcon, "he's out of line but he's right"
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RhodyKyle wrote: 1 week ago

Again,
Never said 2.

Jesus Christ (sorry for triggering some of you), you're going for the leg sweep huh, Johnny? Lol

Yes, going for the leg sweep.

I mean the guy doubled and tripled down claiming he never said Green at 2, when it was the literal first sentence he typed.

Have no problem calling him out.

(This post will probably hurt his feelings like many other posts have)
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Again,
Never said 2.

Look.
In my mind I tried to explain and show statistics that Green could be valuable at guard because of his 3P shooting proficiency, his height to get shots off, his ability to drive creatively and finish.

I even showed where Abu Bakr suggested 6-7 months to go whereby the new Transfer from St John’s could play at Power Forward paired with Fuchs with Green at Guard.

I envisioned Green at the wing, on the side, either right side or left side of the PG Thomas, to be able to shoot the 3P or drive to the hoop. A big guard.

I made the mistake of referring to him as a shooting guard and that would be construed as a 2. In my mind it’s an off guard, wing position.

In my mind Thomas is PG, Lawrence is off guard to assist Thomas and shoot at his 36% 3P rate.

My apologies to Billyboy78 and to Rhody15 for the confusion I created. Never meant to have people thinking of Green at the 2 but I see how you got there from the literal definition.

My mistake.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

section(105) wrote: 1 week ago I/ll take him, like his low post footwork.
105, I haven’t watched the vids yet that Stevey posted but I will check them out and watch for the footwork - which is one of the things to watch for with bigs. 👍🏼

Thanks for posting the vids Stevey. 👍🏼
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Look.
In my mind I tried to explain and show statistics that Green could be valuable at guard because of his 3P shooting proficiency, his height to get shots off, his ability to drive creatively and finish.

I even showed where Abu Bakr suggested 6-7 months to go whereby the new Transfer from St John’s could play at Power Forward paired with Fuchs with Green at Guard.

I envisioned Green at the wing, on the side, either right side or left side of the PG Thomas, to be able to shoot the 3P or drive to the hoop. A big guard.

I made the mistake of referring to him as a shooting guard and that would be construed as a 2. In my mind it’s an off guard, wing position.

In my mind Thomas is PG, Lawrence is off guard to assist Thomas and shoot at his 36% 3P rate.

My apologies to Billyboy78 and to Rhody15 for the confusion I created. Never meant to have people thinking of Green at the 2 but I see how you got there from the literal definition.

My mistake.
Well, thankfully there's a chest-thumping Captain Call-out to keep you in line... otherwise I don't know what we'd all do :roll:
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

23.4 ppg
2.0 BLKS
13.4 REBS

Dude you are clueless. Just shutup.
Great comeback, genius.
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

Anyone actually have any transfer portal news?
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 week ago

What did we miss here?

You are missing the fact that he was only a freshman, being an impact player in his 1st year of Div. 1. I was hoping we would get him, but I am sure the staff has other options.
I would just caution using the phrase "impact player" when we're talking about the guy who was the 2nd leading scorer on a 3 win team in one of the worst conferences in college basketball. There were 2 rotational players taller than 6'8 in the entire conference.

This team finished 352/362 teams in NCAA basketball.

I wish I could say I can't believe that anyone (not you 77) on this board is even pretending to imply that not getting this kid is a "miss" by our recruiting staff - but I have ceased to be shocked by any of the garbage thrown out on here.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Look.

My mistake.
At least you and I can disagree on stuff and have a civil conversation, unlike some certain douche bags here.
RJRam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RJRam »

Not to interrupt, this BS conversation.
I noted in the Longwood vs Asheville video, the announcer stated that Longwood plays a Packline Gap defense. Fits right in.
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Remember when BillyBoyOldMan claimed he did not care about College Basketball anymore because Hammond left. And that he was done with it. But yet posts 19 times a day. Yeah clearly you do not care anymore. LMAOOOO
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

sevegny7 wrote: 1 week ago Remember when BillyBoyOldMan claimed he did not care about College Basketball anymore because Hammond left. And that he was done with it. But yet posts 19 times a day. Yeah clearly you do not care anymore. LMAOOOO
Yes, obviously I care. It's in my blood and has been for 55 years. Sorry a teenager (I assume?) like you can't understand that.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I mean the guy doubled and tripled down claiming he never said Green at 2, when it was the literal first sentence he typed.

No hurt feelings at all

Have a nice day
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Seems to me if we’re gonna play packline a 7’ European kid with decent footwork is a solid add…

I’m also working hard on preparing a good politically correct nickname once we sign him.

Suggestions welcome.

Go Rhody!
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Ramfan22 wrote: 1 week ago Anyone actually have any transfer portal news?

Hearing that we are involved with some players whose names have not been mentioned which is not unusual. Some announcements since the Portapalooza era have been made with total surprise.

We are already in a stronger rotation place than a year ago. Patience could pay off in the weeks, months to come

It’s interesting to see RV predict the starting line up and Abu comment that a lot of time to go for players to prove themselves. Defensive performance will play a significant role in playing minutes distribution.

Things are looking up!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

Ramfan22 wrote: 1 week ago Anyone actually have any transfer portal news?

Hearing that we are involved with some players whose names have not been mentioned which is not unusual. Some announcements since the Portapalooza era have been made with total surprise.

We are already in a stronger rotation place than a year ago. Patience could pay off in the weeks, months to come

It’s interesting to see RV predict the starting line up and Abu comment that a lot of time to go for players to prove themselves. Defensive performance will play a significant role in playing minutes distribution.

Things are looking up!!
Appreciate that Ramster
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

RJRam wrote: 1 week ago Not to interrupt, this BS conversation.
I noted in the Longwood vs Asheville video, the announcer stated that Longwood plays a Packline Gap defense. Fits right in.
Good catch, RJ.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

RJRam wrote: 1 week ago Video looked good to me. Not a great leaper, but we all know that white guys can’t jump. But seems to move his feet well and can run the floor a little. Good hands and aggressive. I think he can give us some minutes and give us a different look. The Nellie nay sayers are nuts. Sign him up.
It’s a yes for me as well , not as a starter but definitely in the rotation as 6-8 man
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

It takes longer for most bigs. Let's benefit from his previous years of training especially if he has experience in the system. He seems like a competent back up center. I do not expect miracles. Fuchs will be on the floor the majority of the time anyway.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

reef wrote: 1 week ago
RJRam wrote: 1 week ago Video looked good to me. Not a great leaper, but we all know that white guys can’t jump. But seems to move his feet well and can run the floor a little. Good hands and aggressive. I think he can give us some minutes and give us a different look. The Nellie nay sayers are nuts. Sign him up.
It’s a yes for me as well , not as a starter but definitely in the rotation as 6-8 man
This is what I am thinking, too, Reef - if we do end up signing him.

Stevey made real good sense earlier regarding Archie, Fuchs and likely starters.

I am not privy to the staff’s reasoning and the circumstances impacting their decision making on building the roster but, as a fan, I enjoy speculating and reading the speculations and perceptions of other fans here. Many good insights.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man wrote: 1 week ago
Jersey77 wrote: 1 week ago

I would just caution using the phrase "impact player" when we're talking about the guy who was the 2nd leading scorer on a 3 win team in one of the worst conferences in college basketball. There were 2 rotational players taller than 6'8 in the entire conference.

This team finished 352/362 teams in NCAA basketball.

I wish I could say I can't believe that anyone (not you 77) on this board is even pretending to imply that not getting this kid is a "miss" by our recruiting staff - but I have ceased to be shocked by any of the garbage thrown out on here.
Yeah Blue Man, I am not ready to call this a miss, but he wouldn't have been a bad addition.
I still feel we need a young PF that can give us some good minutes.
Green is a senior, and not a true PF, so I am already looking ahead.

The staff is better aware of what we need more than I am, so I trust their opinion and decisions.
Let's give them a chance and see how we end up.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Well if true that’s not a step down is it?
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

hrstrat57 wrote: 1 week ago
They're seven seasons removed from their last NCAA appearance, and the days of Joe Dooley and Andy Enfield (11ish years ago). They went 14-18 last year and 17-15 the previous year in the Atlantic Sun conference (26th and 20th ranked conference in those two years). So, a pretty clear step down.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

hrstrat57 wrote: 1 week ago
I don’t know, 57. But what I do know is that it is warmer.
Rory gets thumbs up from me just for that. 👍🏼 giddy up!
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

What am I missing with this projected starting lineup talk. Based on our current roster, there is NO WAY House doesn’t start at the 2. He was easily our best player last year and some games was our only good player. I’d like to see a little more consistency but he was without a doubt our best offensive player last year. Green was a close second in my book.
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

RJRam wrote: 1 week ago Not to interrupt, this BS conversation.
Our pack line had a lot of gaps last year.
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

Don’t drag my good name into this.
'No Mercy.'
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Congrats to Rory Stewart!!!!

Same school that URI’s Dolly Cairns transferred to last season

Nice basketball facility and overall athletic facilities especially for baseball

Great choice of weather too!

Interesting that the Atlantic Sun has a challenge with the Southern Conference starting this season that includes 2 games for FGCU playing UNC Greensboro and @ Furman

Would be great to see the A10 seek out such an Alliance having lost the Mountain West several years ago.

IMG_3464.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ramster 1 week ago, edited 2 times in total.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Another NJ player I wouldn't mind Duane looking at.
Soph. PF Jerome Brewer Jr (6'9"/216) averaged about 14 pts/ 5 rebs at Texas A&M Commerce.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

RamStock wrote: 1 week ago
section(105) wrote: 1 week ago

Especially with a leaky packline.

IMG_3466.png
I’m not sure we just say another year so that means every player is better. Can guys improve? Yes, but is no guarantee and the defensive liabilities aren’t going to get better in seniors. If you want to make the case with Fuchs, Lawrence and Cam that seems like the best candidates. House and Green are who they are. Green is known for having a history of getting hurt so we can’t complain that it is bad luck when he gets hurt. After this season many of these guys are gone with graduation or transfering so there is no more improvement towards next season. They will likely be trying to keep Fuchs and Lawrence from leaving.
I don't think they'll all make a massive jump, but I think our key returning players will be better.

I thought House looked better on the defensive end in the second half of the season. I agree that he won't make a big jump offensively, but I think he can improve defensively and, most importantly, mentally. House has the type of skill where he can drop 20 on most teams in the country if he's on. He checked out way too much on both ends. I get it. It was freaking brutal the more and more we lost. I think Archie will demand that House be a leader for the team, and when things get hard, he battles through it. He also improved all his shooting numbers this year. If he can take a similar jump again, he could be one of the top scorers in the A10. I'm excited to see what he does this season.

I understand if you think House is who he is, but I don't see why you wouldn't have confidence in Green improving. It is very tough to get thrown into the season after being out as long as he was. Archie brought up multiple times how tired Green was and how he wasn't in the game shape he needed to be in yet. That leads to poor defense and no legs on the offensive end. He was forced into a huge role and thrown into the fire. If you give him an entire offseason to prepare to be one of the focal points of this team and have a non-conference to ramp up before conference play, I think Green will be a better player in every aspect except for maybe 3 pt shooting as he was fantastic from deep.

Finally, I think you and others are underestimating the benefit of having another offseason together so that all our returning guys can continue to learn Archie's system and how to succeed when playing together. House, Green, Cam, Fuchs all played in the A10 for the first time. They all played together for the first time as well. They all saw what it's like to regress and play terrible basketball as the season went on. I think these guys want to prove that they will be the first Rhody team in years to go back to playing basketball the way Rhody fans want. Why would they stay after such a brutal season? I love that they are coming back after this fanbase and this message board absolutely trashed them all season. Including myself after some of our worst losses. It makes me feel like they actually give a shit about winning at Rhody, and it's not all about $.

If we suck again, I don't know what else to say. I'm trying to stay as positive as I can and have some hope.
Last edited by steveystuds06 1 week ago, edited 1 time in total.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 week ago We're not talking about a project in Zapala. We're talking about a 5th year senior. C'mon.
I would have loved Wilborn. I think he's going to be a great player. I think he's a better player than Zapala. But I don't understand why you think this kid is terrible.

He's definitely not a project. Talking strictly about basketball, what do you not like about his game? He's a decent rim protector, has good size, rebounds well, finishes well, has good speed for his height, and he's solid in the pick-and-roll. What I'm seeing is a kid who gets into foul trouble and has issues with stamina. But when he's on the floor, he produces.

Forget his per-40 stats, which are FANTASTIC. Forget that he led his team in PER with a ridiculously high 28. Our highest PER for players that played was Fuchs and Fou at 18. Forget about those... His NORMAL stats are 10 and 5 in 17 minutes mpg. Why do you think that's so bad? I really don't get it.

He had 196 rebounds last year. Our team high was Fuchs's 174, and second was Brown's 132.
He had 29 blocks last year. Our team high was Brown's 22, and the second was Fou's 14.
He shot 62% from the field, while Brown was first on our team at 57%.

If he's the same player as last season, he can make a decent impact while guys like Green and Fuchs are getting a rest. He's an upgrade over Brown and Fou. If he improves from last year, he could be a good piece. In fact, if Fuchs doesn't take the jump we need, I could see him starting some games. I would definitely take him.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

adam914 wrote: 1 week ago I still think Traore may end up surprising some people and be a bigger addition than it seems right now. I'm not saying he will put up huge numbers, but I think he is the exact type of player we have been missing the last couple years. A "does the little things" type guy that plays hard and helps the team win in ways that don't always show up in the stat sheet.
He reminds me of Malik Martin. What Traore does is play harder than anyone on this team. How do I know that? I went to YouTube and watched an actual game. Michigan was killing St John's and Traore played most the second half because he was busting his ass and Pitino kept him in there. Plays as hard as he can when he's out here. He can hit an open 3 and he's plenty athletic for the A10. I think he'll be a solid glue guy off the bench.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I'm taking a 5th year senior 7 footer over a dime a dozen 6'8 guy like Wilborn at the 5. We can find someone else like him for the last spot or in the future pretty easily.