David Cox

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Re: David Cox

Unread post by Rhody72 »

When the facts don't back up the arguments presented by DC detractors, one needs to ask whether they are being disingenuous.
NCAAs or Bust!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago When the facts don't back up the arguments presented by DC detractors, one needs to ask whether they are being disingenuous.
January 3rd and my New Years resolution of you not sucking anymore is off to a bad start. Fucking sort yourself out
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago When the facts don't back up the arguments presented by DC detractors, one needs to ask whether they are being disingenuous.
January 3rd and my New Years resolution of you not sucking anymore is off to a bad start. Fucking sort yourself out
RR2,

I think he is positioning himself early on for the KeaneyBlue Negative Poster of Year 2022 Award!
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
RR2,

I think he is positioning himself early on for the KeaneyBlue Negative Poster of Year 2022 Award!
Au contraire! I’d say I’m the leader in the clubhouse. :D
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

STC wrote: 2 years ago

RR2,

Au contraire! I’d say I’m the leader in the clubhouse. :D
:lol: :lol:

And it’s only January 3!!!
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

Negativity and whining is the status quo on Keaney Blue. I've said it before, it is not a reflection of the fan base at URI, just a small bunch of people. At times reading posts, you would think Cox was the reason for Covid. How dumb? This is my team until the season is over, then we can have other discussions.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 2 years ago Negativity and whining is the status quo on Keaney Blue. I've said it before, it is not a reflection of the fan base at URI, just a small bunch of people. At times reading posts, you would think Cox was the reason for Covid. How dumb? This is my team until the season is over, then we can have other discussions.
I mean the internet is pretty open and you can create another fan board. There are no rules in internet land. Many teams have multiple fan sites.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 2 years ago Negativity and whining is the status quo on Keaney Blue. I've said it before, it is not a reflection of the fan base at URI, just a small bunch of people. At times reading posts, you would think Cox was the reason for Covid. How dumb? This is my team until the season is over, then we can have other discussions.
Until the season is over? Then what?
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Not Mike Powell wrote: 2 years ago “Through his first 100 games at Rhode Island, David Cox is 58-42. Only legendary Hall of Famer Frank Keaney won more in his first 100 games with the Rams. #GoRhody #Leadership” per the URI Men’s Basketball Instagram.
Awesome news! Now there will be two excuses why Cox will be here for several seasons to come with this bogus record and CoVID. How many of the 58 wins are quality wins over teams that stood out?
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

We’re tweeting stuff like this, and PC is tweeting about their national ranking.

Everything sucks. This program is so far from where it was.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Cox sux

Get rid of this buffoon and snore fest coach

Guy brings no excitement or promise

We can either go thru the motions year after year or act now and fire him today

OUT WITH COX

Let’s get a real coach here
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

Unread post by RhodyFanNotAlum »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago We’re tweeting stuff like this, and PC is tweeting about their national ranking.

Everything sucks. This program is so far from where it was.
I can't think of a more fitting way to have reached this milestone than by beating a D-II program. It just encapsulates the current situation — and the debate about Cox — so perfectly.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

PC is now ranked 16th in the country. I remember what it felt like when we were flying high, part of the national discussion, and I was thrilled about our program's bright future. I sure do miss those days and wonder if we'll ever get that feeling back again.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Cox reminds me of Brenden Malone.

It seemed hopeless when he was here. Same as now.

And he could recruit! Want proof?

Look what Penders did with Malone's players!
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago
Sorry if I am not making myself clear. I do feel like a broken record though. I AM NOT GIVING UP ON THIS TEAM. That's it. We might very well need a coaching change after the season, but again, I AM NOT GIVING UP ON THIS TEAM. Maybe some of you who have given up should stop watching this season.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 2 years ago
Sorry if I am not making myself clear. I do feel like a broken record though. I AM NOT GIVING UP ON THIS TEAM. That's it. We might very well need a coaching change after the season, but again, I AM NOT GIVING UP ON THIS TEAM. Maybe some of you who have given up should stop watching this season.
…..I hear ya man……I just wish there were some games to watch at the A-10 conference level, to see some glimpses of decent sustained play to get behind this team, and not give up on them…….but…….
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago PC is now ranked 16th in the country. I remember what it felt like when we were flying high, part of the national discussion, and I was thrilled about our program's bright future. I sure do miss those days and wonder if we'll ever get that feeling back again.

not until we CUT BAIT and hire a REAL COACH
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

it is entirely possible to not give up on this team but to give up on this coach at the same time.
:lol:
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

Based on Sunday's attendance, a small bunch of people IS the fan base right now.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

RhodyFanNotAlum wrote: 2 years ago
Based on Sunday's attendance, a small bunch of people IS the fan base right now.
If that is what the crowd will look like during A10 competition, then begin to worry.
Not against a Div.11 last minute fill in game.
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
RhodyFanNotAlum wrote: 2 years ago
If that is what the crowd will look like during A10 competition, then begin to worry.
Not against a Div.11 last minute fill in game.
You're right. I was mostly joking. (But not entirely. I do think that even though the larger fan base might not be as negative or as vocal as the small group of people who post here, when the buzz around this team fades away they just become apathetic and indifferent. And that's not the opposite of negative.)
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Bottom line, I want a winning team that has a tourney shot every year. Whatever it takes to reach that level, I am in.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 2 years ago Bottom line, I want a winning team that has a tourney shot every year. Whatever it takes to reach that level, I am in.
……..amen, don’t we all want that annual scenario!!……..I do think that will take a stepped commitment at the University level to build that type of program……..no? The current Athletic Dept MO is not getting it done……..example, coaching staff, and HC salaries, to get and retain a coach, rather than chasing the moving van on its way to Storrs……..
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

If DC is not HC at URI next year what do you think the chances are that he would be hired as an Assistance Coach at UCONN with the 2 other Assistant Coach's at UCONN that passed thru URI....
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

rjv wrote: 2 years ago If DC is not HC at URI next year what do you think the chances are that he would be hired as an Assistance Coach at UCONN with the 2 other Assistant Coach's at UCONN that passed thru URI....
100%
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

I could also see DC landing as an assistant at Maryland depending on who they hire.

Cox would kill it in the DMV recruiting for Maryland.
URI_CellBio14
Abdul Fox

Unread post by URI_CellBio14 »

So I’m too young to remember Al Skinner but something I thought is on the surface is there looks to be similarities between the two. Again I’m too young to have watched Skinner coach so maybe I’m completely off base, but

- Both coaches took over after great successful URI coaches who bolted to elite programs/conferences after a sustained period of success

- Both coaches had great talent on their teams/recruited that other URI coaches used for deep NCAAT runs

Looking at wiki:
1st year record, same number of loses, although Cox had the winning record here:
Skinner: 13–15
Cox:18-15

2nd year record:
Skinner: 15–13 and 4th in A10
Cox: 21-9 and 3rd in A10

3rd year record:
Skinner 11–17 and 9th in A10
Cox: 10-14 and 10th in A10

4th year record:
Skinner: 22-10
Cox: ??
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

RR2,

2022? I think we are talking the most Negative Poster of all time. HOF award.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago PC is now ranked 16th in the country. I remember what it felt like when we were flying high, part of the national discussion, and I was thrilled about our program's bright future. I sure do miss those days and wonder if we'll ever get that feeling back again.
My guess is 3-5 years for that feeling again.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

URI_CellBio14 wrote: 2 years ago So I’m too young to remember Al Skinner but something I thought is on the surface is there looks to be similarities between the two. Again I’m too young to have watched Skinner coach so maybe I’m completely off base, but

- Both coaches took over after great successful URI coaches who bolted to elite programs/conferences after a sustained period of success

- Both coaches had great talent on their teams/recruited that other URI coaches used for deep NCAAT runs

Looking at wiki:
1st year record, same number of loses, although Cox had the winning record here:

2nd year record:

3rd year record:

4th year record:
Actually the comparison is very fair and you are not off base.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Taylor Swift wrote: 2 years ago

2022? I think we are talking the most Negative Poster of all time. HOF award.
Another example of the facts not supporting the arguments.
NCAAs or Bust!
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Taylor Swift wrote: 2 years ago
My guess is 3-5 years for that feeling again.
I hope you're right. I'm not so sure ...
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

URI_CellBio14 wrote: 2 years ago So I’m too young to remember Al Skinner but something I thought is on the surface is there looks to be similarities between the two. Again I’m too young to have watched Skinner coach so maybe I’m completely off base, but

Looking at wiki:

2nd year record:

3rd year record:

4th year record:
Maybe in records only but I like Skinner all day long over Cox don’t think it will be close
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 2 years ago

Looking at wiki:

2nd year record:

3rd year record:

4th year record:
Maybe in records only but I like Skinner all day long over Cox don’t think it will be close
Yes, we can look back and say that now and I was a Skinner fan.
After Skinner's first season, some were feeling uneasy and after his 3rd season many were questioning his promotion.
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody_NYCT wrote: 2 years ago Bottom line, I want a winning team that has a tourney shot every year. Whatever it takes to reach that level, I am in.
……..amen, don’t we all want that annual scenario!!……..I do think that will take a stepped commitment at the University level to build that type of program……..no? The current Athletic Dept MO is not getting it done……..example, coaching staff, and HC salaries, to get and retain a coach, rather than chasing the moving van on its way to Storrs……..
Agreed. Why wouldn't the school make more of a commitment? Only good things can come out of it. More revenue, donors, applicants, school spirit, etc...I am not seeing the down side.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Agreed. Why wouldn't the school make more of a commitment? Only good things can come out of it. More revenue, donors, applicants, school spirit, etc...I am not seeing the down side.
…….I think looking back and remembering Dave Dooley, at an alum/foundation event, in FL, clearly speaking that he viewed was the basketball program exactly that in the big picture of Think Big of growing the URI brand academics, research, etc etc. any commitment or reaffirming the commitment should be done by the new President. IMHO, the commitment is empty without $$$……
Ram logo via Grist 1938
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Sorry, “Think small, we do”
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Answer: One sport, MBB, is being used to support an entire Athletic program. This program includes one very expensive team with a strong external constituency whose cost is doubled by Title IX which is generally supported by the University community. MBB is used for most fund raising and then base funding for MBB is diverted to support other teams. The solution is clear but unacceptable.
NCAAs or Bust!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago As I said before, I very much doubt winning the conference tournament this season will be the determining factor in retaining Cox.

I think much will depend on our conference play and how well we perform in the A10T.

Many here seem to think that getting to the dance this season is the requirement, and we all are aware of what needs to be done for that to happen.
We have disagreed on this this summer, this fall, this season up to now and will continue to through March.

5 year contract, now in year 4, no NCAA bids to date, no contract extension, no salary increases. 10-15 record in year 3, 10th place in A10.

Make or break year imho
Cox's first year we weren't an NCAAT team regardless of what some on this board think.
No coach was going to take that team to the tournament, there were too many A10 teams better than us.
After losing 4 starters and almost all our scoring, it wasn't going to happen.

The next year, there wasn't any post season play, so who cares, no one was "Dancing".
Dayton is the team that suffered the most because of it

Ramster, yes we have disagreed on the ultimatum for Cox this year up till now..
But if the team struggles between now and March, that may not be the case.

Rambone, I am afraid it can be a longer drought than most of us want.
No new coach coming in will make miracles happen.
Especially trying to rebuild an entire roster, and several A10 teams returning a lot of talent.
Not to mention having to contend with Loyola/Chicago.

At this juncture, it is too early to make a call as to what will happen.

IMO

Actually I think his 1st year was out best shot at an NCAA Bid. Note the seeds in the A10 Tournament Bracket:

We won our last 4 games in A10:
George Washington 80-53
@ Dayton 72-70: Langevine 26 points, 8 rebounds on 12-14 FG. Toppin 26 points, 11 rebounds, 11-14 FG
@ St Joseph's 86-85: Russell 41 points with 7-13 3FG
UMASS 94-75: Langevine 21 points on 10-11 FG, 10 rebounds and 4 assists

Note the seeds in the A10 Tournament Bracket:
Game 1: URI #8 beat LaSalle #9 by 19 points 76-67
  • Langevine 25 points on 9-10 FG and 7-10 FT, 12 rebounds
Game 2 Final 8: URI #8 beat VCU #1 by 75-70
  • Dowtin 22 points on 2-2 3FG, 4-5 FT as he leads URI to upset VCU
  • Tyrese Martin 13 points, 5 rebounds, 3 assists
  • Langevine 7 points, 9 rebounds as he goes against monster game by Marcus Santos-Silva with 26 points and 22 rebounds
  • URI beats VCU despite Russell 6 points on 2-9 FG, 0-4 3FG, 0 assists and 5 TOs
  • VCU was 16-2 in Conference and this was their 1st game in A10 Tourney getting the bye
Game 3. Semifinals: URI #8 lost to St Bonaventure #4 by 51-68.
  • URI led 29-27 at the half
  • Langevine with yet another strong game with 15 points on 5-10 FG, 5-6 FT and 9 rebounds
  • Tyrese Martin 8 points, 10 rebounds
  • Dowtin 12 points on 5-13 FG, 2-5 3FG
  • Russell again only 6 points on 3-14 FG, 0-7 on 3FG
  • St Bonaventure played their starters 39,40,37,38 and 40 minutes with only 6 minutes total from 3 bench players
Other Semifinal: St Louis #6 beat Davidson #2 by a whopping 23 points 67-44
Championship: St Louis #6 beat St Bonaventure #4 by 55-53.

Bottom Line:

URI was in a very good position to win the AutoBid by upsetting #1 Seed VCU (16-2) in the Final 8. #6 Seed St Louis upset #2 Seed Davidson so the Championship game could have been #8 Seed URI vs #6 Seed Saint Louis

Cox taking Dowtin out of the Leadership Point Guard role in his Junior Year after Jeff had been Top 5 Nationally in Assists/Turnover Ratio the previous NCAA Tournament Year under Hurley was a mistake. I said it then and still say it now.
In addition, Cox should have had greater control to prevent Russell from shooting 3-14 and 0-7 on 3FGs in the Semi-Final game, especially after Russell had such an off game vs VCU the previous day.
Langevine, Dowtin and Martin played very well down the stretch of last 7 games. Russell was phenomenal in games when he was hot, but when Russell went cold he went very cold.
URI was up 29-27 at the half vs St Bonaventure but Schmidt made adjustments at halftime and played his top 5 players 194 of 200 minutes to beat us.

This was out best shot at the NCAA.
Year 2 - no
Year 3 - no
Year 4 - This is our best shot since year 1. I think we can and we will win the A10 Tournament with this group of players.
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Rhody was ahead like 20 points after the first TV timeout…
Then came an unprecedented cold spell over the next 30.

Then they refused a bid to the CIT or CBA…
Said they were too tired to play.
Whatever.
CaptainRon
Kenny Green

Unread post by CaptainRon »

Husky fans are ripping Hurley a new one for his play calling (or lack there of) down the stretch.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

We have disagreed on this this summer, this fall, this season up to now and will continue to through March.

5 year contract, now in year 4, no NCAA bids to date, no contract extension, no salary increases. 10-15 record in year 3, 10th place in A10.

Make or break year imho
Cox's first year we weren't an NCAAT team regardless of what some on this board think.
No coach was going to take that team to the tournament, there were too many A10 teams better than us.
After losing 4 starters and almost all our scoring, it wasn't going to happen.

The next year, there wasn't any post season play, so who cares, no one was "Dancing".
Dayton is the team that suffered the most because of it

Ramster, yes we have disagreed on the ultimatum for Cox this year up till now..
But if the team struggles between now and March, that may not be the case.

Rambone, I am afraid it can be a longer drought than most of us want.
No new coach coming in will make miracles happen.
Especially trying to rebuild an entire roster, and several A10 teams returning a lot of talent.
Not to mention having to contend with Loyola/Chicago.

At this juncture, it is too early to make a call as to what will happen.

IMO

Actually I think his 1st year was out best shot at an NCAA Bid. Note the seeds in the A10 Tournament Bracket:

We won our last 4 games in A10:
George Washington 80-53
@ Dayton 72-70: Langevine 26 points, 8 rebounds on 12-14 FG. Toppin 26 points, 11 rebounds, 11-14 FG
@ St Joseph's 86-85: Russell 41 points with 7-13 3FG
UMASS 94-75: Langevine 21 points on 10-11 FG, 10 rebounds and 4 assists

Note the seeds in the A10 Tournament Bracket:
Game 1: URI #8 beat LaSalle #9 by 19 points 76-67
  • Langevine 25 points on 9-10 FG and 7-10 FT, 12 rebounds
Game 2 Final 8: URI #8 beat VCU #1 by 75-70
  • Dowtin 22 points on 2-2 3FG, 4-5 FT as he leads URI to upset VCU
  • Tyrese Martin 13 points, 5 rebounds, 3 assists
  • Langevine 7 points, 9 rebounds as he goes against monster game by Marcus Santos-Silva with 26 points and 22 rebounds
  • URI beats VCU despite Russell 6 points on 2-9 FG, 0-4 3FG, 0 assists and 5 TOs
  • VCU was 16-2 in Conference and this was their 1st game in A10 Tourney getting the bye
Game 3. Semifinals: URI #8 lost to St Bonaventure #4 by 51-68.
  • URI led 29-27 at the half
  • Langevine with yet another strong game with 15 points on 5-10 FG, 5-6 FT and 9 rebounds
  • Tyrese Martin 8 points, 10 rebounds
  • Dowtin 12 points on 5-13 FG, 2-5 3FG
  • Russell again only 6 points on 3-14 FG, 0-7 on 3FG
  • St Bonaventure played their starters 39,40,37,38 and 40 minutes with only 6 minutes total from 3 bench players
Other Semifinal: St Louis #6 beat Davidson #2 by a whopping 23 points 67-44
Championship: St Louis #6 beat St Bonaventure #4 by 55-53.

Bottom Line:

URI was in a very good position to win the AutoBid by upsetting #1 Seed VCU (16-2) in the Final 8. #6 Seed St Louis upset #2 Seed Davidson so the Championship game could have been #8 Seed URI vs #6 Seed Saint Louis

Cox taking Dowtin out of the Leadership Point Guard role in his Junior Year after Jeff had been Top 5 Nationally in Assists/Turnover Ratio the previous NCAA Tournament Year under Hurley was a mistake. I said it then and still say it now.
In addition, Cox should have had greater control to prevent Russell from shooting 3-14 and 0-7 on 3FGs in the Semi-Final game, especially after Russell had such an off game vs VCU the previous day.
Langevine, Dowtin and Martin played very well down the stretch of last 7 games. Russell was phenomenal in games when he was hot, but when Russell went cold he went very cold.
URI was up 29-27 at the half vs St Bonaventure but Schmidt made adjustments at halftime and played his top 5 players 194 of 200 minutes to beat us.

This was out best shot at the NCAA.
Year 2 - no
Year 3 - no
Year 4 - This is our best shot since year 1. I think we can and we will win the A10 Tournament with this group of players.
Ramster I understand your reasoning and we can go back and forth on this, which is all just crazy speculation.
But nobody really picked us that year as an NCAAT team
Hard to expect us to be better than VCU, Davidson, SLU, and Dayton considering we lost almost all our firepower, senior leadership, and Cox was just beginning his 1st year as a div. 1 HC.
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

CaptainRon wrote: 2 years ago Husky fans are ripping Hurley a new one for his play calling (or lack there of) down the stretch.
Don't care.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago
CaptainRon wrote: 2 years ago Husky fans are ripping Hurley a new one for his play calling (or lack there of) down the stretch.
Don't care.
What’s that got to do with David Cox? There is a Hurley thread for comments about Hurley/UCONN.
CaptainRon
Kenny Green

Unread post by CaptainRon »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago
Don't care.
What’s that got to do with David Cox? There is a Hurley thread for comments about Hurley/UCONN.
Sorry, but the quotes about both coaches were so similar, I thought it was appropriate. Feel free to delete it.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Well Ramster, at least you backed off a little on your previous comments that they will "cut bait" with Cox if we don't win the A10T and get an auto bid to the NCAAT.

I am beginning to agree that we at least have a chance at winning the A10T, even though the odds aren't great.
Much depends on our conference record and seeding.
We have the depth and quality bench to handle tournament play in continuous days.
Also, the players and staff need to learn how to finish games against quality opponents.
Our last success at that was probably against Seton Hall last season.

My thinking hasn't changed that if we play well the next 17 games and have a decent A10T, Cox will probably get a short term (possibly 2 year) extension, which is not uncommon.
Of course, that doesn't mean he will necessarily coach out his contract.

Look it could be worse, imagine the Richmond fans.
The 2020 postseason is canceled, Mooney got a 2-year extension through April 2024.
They were picked by many to finish #2 in the A10 with their 4 returning seniors plus Burton and are now 10-6 (1-2 conference).
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago Well Ramster, at least you backed off a little on your previous comments that they will "cut bait" with Cox if we don't win the A10T and get an auto bid to the NCAAT.
Very, very little. And it doesn’t mean I agree with it. Cox needs pressure this being his 4th year. We should be top 3 in the A10 by now on an ongoing basis. It’s 4 years in now.
This is a 1-bid league this year. Finishing 2nd won’t do it.

I am beginning to agree that we at least have a chance at winning the A10T, even though the odds aren't great.
If we don’t think we have a chance to win the A10 then we should change coaches now - today.

Much depends on our conference record and seeding.
We probably have the most depth (quality bench) to handle tournament play in continuous days.
Disagree. We need to beat the best in the A10 doesn’t matter which round. I don’t want to hear any excuses from the coaching staff that we got a bad seed. You get the seed you earn. Deal with it. Win the A10.

Also, the players and staff need to learn how to finish games against quality opponents.
Our last success at that was probably against Seton Hall last season.
Just score more points than the opponent. Don’t know what learning how to finish means. Sounds like preparing excuses.

My thinking hasn't changed that if we play well the next 17 games and have a decent A10T, Cox will probably get a short term (possibly 2 year) extension, which is not uncommon.
Of course, that doesn't mean he will necessarily coach out his contract.
Maybe but I won’t be happy.
I think his 1st year team would beat this years team at this time. Much development needs to continue. Defense has improved considerably over last year but last year was bad defense resulting in 10th place.
Nikola Akele, Tyrese Martin, Jacob Toppin and Fatts Russell all would have been starters here that we didn’t keep over the time span. Hurley didn’t lose starters.

Walker needs to play more, possibly start
Thomas definitely needs to play more and probably start. He can be a Kolek type player who had 11 assists, 1 TO recently. Thomas sees the floor, runs the floor and passes well like Kolek - he makes positive things happen. He’s a winner -take the chance. No time to delay. It’s year 4.
Being passive and generous with extending a contract will not push for excellence and an NCAA bid possibility. It will not push for Walker playing time and Thomas playing time. Just comments more like “we did the best we could under the circumstances” type of jargon.

Look it could be worse, imagine the Richmond fans.
The 2020 postseason is canceled, Mooney got a 2-year extension through April 2024.
They were picked by many to finish #2 in the A10 with their 4 returning seniors plus Burton and are now 10-6 (1-2 conference).
It’s been 4 years. And it can get worse here. I’m not taking any level of satisfaction from what Richmond or any other team experiences. It’s year 4.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Davidson is an at large team right now, Ramster…I have no idea why you continue to repeat that this conference can only get 1 bid…
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Ramster, we know many posters here want Cox gone now and would be very upset if he is still coaching Rhody next season.
Thorr will be making that decision and I was just expressing my thoughts on what will probably happen.

Going into this season, I predicted us to finish 6th, and not really giving us much of a chance to make the NCAAT.
Yes, the goal is to compete for the championship every year, but in my mind trying to be realistic.
The way this season has played out so far, none of the top projected teams are really distinguishing themselves.
Davidson has looked the best so far, and we missed a great opportunity to beat them down there, so yeah, our chances have probably improved

Look I also take no satisfaction in Richmond's situation just pointing out what they are going through down there.

Yeah, I too am disappointed in Walker's minutes and am curious how Cox uses him going forward.
Last edited by Jersey77 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago Davidson is an at large team right now, Ramster…I have no idea why you continue to repeat that this conference can only get 1 bid…
Very simple

It’s a 1 bid league as far as URI is concerned.

URI must win the A10

I don’t care about Davidson. If we beat Davidson in the A10 tournament and they get an at large I could care less.

For URI it’s win the Auto bid. Plain and simple.