David Cox

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Re: David Cox

Unread post by Blue Man »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
My thought is that if we end up winning 20 plus games this season, it will be very difficult for Thorr to pull the trigger on Cox.
I am trying to take all emotion out of it.
IMO
See, this is the concern, and why none of us want it to be close. That is what happened with Baron. We saw it for years. Cupcake schedule, 20 wins...can't fire him, we're SOOOO close. Rooting for URI to win 20 games at this point is something I would do if I were a PC fan. Get us to keep our below-average to mediocre coach, and continue to suck in perpetuity. To make matters worse, no extension gets signed without a significant buyout clause...so we'd be dooming ourselves to purgatory.

Since we already have a fire cox thread, I'll keep this to how he can improve.

1) lineups and roster changes. Stop with the "I promised player x minutes so I need to make sure he sees them."

Change something. Throw bassy out there more. Play one Mitchell at a time. Do SOMETHING different because what we have isn't working.

2) change your philosophy. Stop this "positionless" guard play because it doesn't work.

Even if you don't think Bassy is the guy (though he seems to be the most natural fit, even if he's not the "best" player), you have to pick a point guard. That much is clear. Pick ONE player to be your PG. I don't care if it's Ish, Shepp, or EA. But pick that kid and COACH THEM. MAKE THEM a PG. Run your offense through that player. Coach him on how you want to see the offense run. COACH him on how the offense should look in a half court. Demand a first pass before a stupid transition 3 attempt.

3) react to what's happening on the floor.

If you're not seeing what you want to see - CALL A TIME OUT AND PUT SOMEONE ON THE BENCH. COACH. DO SOME COACHING.

Cooley isn't a good x's and o's coach either, but when Watson doesn't box out he pulls him, yells to his bench and lets them know if they don't put out effort, they won't play. I don't think anyone would say Hurley is a particularly gifted X's and O's coach...but he will demand effort from his players and if they don't put that effort out there, they'll ride the bench.

Ya know, coaching.
To paraphrase one of the greats, number 3 shoulda been number 1 to me.

We all want Bassy to play more, but he's a freshman. Some games it might not be his night. I want him playing 25-ish minutes a game but if it's not working it's OK TO MOVE AWAY FROM IT in any given game. Same goes for any and every guy on the team.
I don't plan out my posts, I just do things and react naturally.

I'm like the anti-David Cox :D
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago
STC wrote: 2 years ago I hardly ever post about coaching strategy as it’s not really my thing, but, if I were to do one thing it would be move Sheppard to the bench. I’ve been wholly unimpressed with his careless play at the point and think he would be better suited as that “instant offense” 6th man off the bench. I would put Malik Martin in the starting lineup and throw him at the best perimeter player our opponent has.
Oof, I think that's worse from an offensive facilitation standpoint, though. That being said, I don't really think there is a magic bullet substitution on this team. Thomas looked good in his 13 minutes against Providence and only has two turnovers in 105 minutes, but the only games he's taken more than three shots in were the blowouts (Bryant, Georgia State). Meaning, I think his TO rate is probably artificially low, because its not hard to avoid turnovers if you're not looking for your own offense.

I don't know if Berry is healthy - If he is, it seems damning that he hasn't gotten any run, but if he isn't, that does explain his DNPs more. It might be worth it to give him some run, since he's an unknown quantity at this point. However, it's kind of like the Matthew Butler or Bam Harmon situation, where the lack of information about a guy at the end of the bench sometimes means he's overrated, and I have no clue about their performance in practice.
I would love to see Berry and Ileri get more run, especially in games like tomorrow.
I think Berry has plenty of upside, but injuries have definitely slowed him down.

Also, if Carey gets cleared, tomorrow should be a good opportunity for him.
If Berry is still not ready to play anything but garbage minutes, then he's probably not an A10 caliber player. I hope I'm wrong but he's been healthy the last few games, right? Getting no minutes is not a good sign. Illeri looks like he could develop into a decent player down the road.

Carey's ability to drive and finish around the hoop is something this team really needs. At this point, I'll deal with his mistakes.

I'll still be rooting for this team because it's physically impossible for me not to, but I do worry that we win 20 games with no good wins, and Cox gets extended.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago
SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago

Oof, I think that's worse from an offensive facilitation standpoint, though. That being said, I don't really think there is a magic bullet substitution on this team. Thomas looked good in his 13 minutes against Providence and only has two turnovers in 105 minutes, but the only games he's taken more than three shots in were the blowouts (Bryant, Georgia State). Meaning, I think his TO rate is probably artificially low, because its not hard to avoid turnovers if you're not looking for your own offense.

I don't know if Berry is healthy - If he is, it seems damning that he hasn't gotten any run, but if he isn't, that does explain his DNPs more. It might be worth it to give him some run, since he's an unknown quantity at this point. However, it's kind of like the Matthew Butler or Bam Harmon situation, where the lack of information about a guy at the end of the bench sometimes means he's overrated, and I have no clue about their performance in practice.
I would love to see Berry and Ileri get more run, especially in games like tomorrow.
I think Berry has plenty of upside, but injuries have definitely slowed him down.

If Berry is still not ready to play anything but garbage minutes, then he's probably not an A10 caliber player. I hope I'm wrong but he's been healthy the last few games, right? Getting no minutes is not a good sign. Illeri looks like he could develop into a decent player down the road.

Carey's ability to drive and finish around the hoop is something this team really needs. At this point, I'll deal with his mistakes.

I'll still be rooting for this team because it's physically impossible for me not to, but I do worry that we win 20 games with no good wins, and Cox gets extended.
Stevey maybe they are just bringing Berry along slowly, not sure if he is totally 100%.
If you are at the game tomorrow, you may get a better look at him.

Hopefully you are right about Ileri and he can become a contributor.

Carey if cleared also needs to get some run and I still think he is capable to provide some value and depth off the bench.

I would be surprised if we don't get some good wins in the A10, but probably some bad losses also.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Stevey maybe they are just bringing Berry along slowly, not sure if he is totally 100%.
If you are at the game tomorrow, you may get a better look at him.

Hopefully you are right about Ileri and he can become a contributor.

Carey if cleared also needs to get some run and I still think he is capable to provide some value and depth off the bench.

I would be surprised if we don't get some good wins in the A10, but probably some bad losses also.
I was at the only game he got into. I was watching him doing pre-game drills and all of that stuff. Then he played, 5 minutes, I think it was. Physically he looked fine to me. It didn't look like anything was bothering him.
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

There will be very few opportunities for "good" wins in the A-10 this year (Quad 1), its more likely that we'll have more opportunities for bad losses. Regardless, our record at this point means nothing, we are not getting an at large so lets hope we are playing our best ball come March and can string together some wins to get the auto bid. I know for sure that I haven't seen an A10 team play this year that I feel we cant beat.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Good wins, bad losses, Quad 1,2,3,4 doesn’t matter.

Wasting time with all that analysis.

Even the next 4 OOC games are only meaningful in prepping for the A10, get a good record and seed then win the Tournament.

1-bid league this year. All 14 teams must go for the automatic bid.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Good wins, bad losses, Quad 1,2,3,4 doesn’t matter.

Even the next 4 OOC games are only meaningful in prepping for the A10, get a good record and seed then win the Tournament.

For us, it doesn't matter.

Bonnies can still receive a bid. If they beat Uconn and VTech they are in and probably ranked again. Obviously, that's going to be very hard to do but they are capable of playing with anyone.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

For us, it doesn't matter.

Bonnies can still receive a bid. If they beat Uconn and VTech they are in and probably ranked again. Obviously, that's going to be very hard to do but they are capable of playing with anyone.
Yes, I was referring to us.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I think 1 maybe if regular season conference winner also wins A10T, otherwise 2.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

If I'm going to bash Cox, I'm going to also give him credit when he deserves it. It looks like he lit a fire under Sheppard's ass. After sitting for most of the game (12 minutes played) against Sacred Heart, he comes out the next game and gets 25 points and 8 rebounds. Good job.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago If I'm going to bash Cox, I'm going to also give him credit when he deserves it. It looks like he lit a fire under Sheppard's ass. After sitting for most of the game (12 minutes played) against Sacred Heart, he comes out the next game and gets 25 points and 8 rebounds. Good job.
He was a difference maker, for sure.

If he could only play like that most of the time, we could compete against the better teams we play.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago If I'm going to bash Cox, I'm going to also give him credit when he deserves it. It looks like he lit a fire under Sheppard's ass. After sitting for most of the game (12 minutes played) against Sacred Heart, he comes out the next game and gets 25 points and 8 rebounds. Good job.
Agreed. But again. We’re playing teams that don’t give us a fair picture of where we stack up.

Like yes, we took a bad team to the woodshed - though we looked ugly at times doing it - but credit to them they got it done in an asskicking.

But we know that this team, and just about every URI team since I’ve been alive, is better than the teams outside of the top 200.

Our problem is always can we beat the top 100 or 50 teams?

The jury is very much still out.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Sheppard definitely responded positively following the FGCU debacle in which he committed four sloppy turnovers. In the four games following, he had just 2 turnovers combined and just 5 turnovers total in the last five games.

One thing about Shep is when his shot is on, it's on and when it's off, it's off. Shep has either shot over 50% or under 35% in all but one game this year (36.4% against BU).

I'm not sure what to read into this, but Shep's best PG play came last year when the team was going through the motions the last seven games. Shep had a 23/2 Assist to Turnover ratio during that time. Of course, the team went 1-6 during that stretch but there were other mitigating factors.

Perhaps Shep is just best when the opponents are lesser and the lights aren't as bright?

Either way, when Shep is careful with the ball and his shot selection it gives Rhody a much better chance to win.
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

Does anyone know if there has been a podcast since this one to date?
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

This Tomato Can OOC schedule coupled with the abrupt pause has killed my interest.

I think the most infuriating aspect of this pause is that with every cancellation/postponement we are one game closer to the Cox apologists getting the crutch they so desperately need.

I can hear it now… “CoX NeeDs A nOn-CoViD yEaR tO ShOW wHaT hE cAn dO!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

STC wrote: 2 years ago This Tomato Can OOC schedule coupled with the abrupt pause has killed my interest.

I think the most infuriating aspect of this pause is that with every cancellation/postponement we are one game closer to the Cox apologists getting the crutch they so desperately need.

I can hear it now… “CoX NeeDs A nOn-CoViD yEaR tO ShOW wHaT hE cAn dO!”
Well none of us will be a part of that decision regarding Cox, that is what Thorr gets paid to do.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

One thing I was interested in seeing is how does Cox do when playing the same team multiple times. In theory, looking at the record for teams you play multiple times takes out the noise from the quality of your own team and your opponents and isolates the coach and their ability to make adjustments, admittedly in a very small sample size. The answer seems to be there might be little appreciable difference.

2018-19. We had a .500 conference record. In the first matchup against a team we played multiple times we went 3-4 (.429). In the second matchup we went 4-3 (.571). We played VCU a third time, and won that game. It seems we did better in future matchups then our conference record would indicate, however that could be statistical noise more than real information, because it tracks very closely to home court advantage. In the first game we went 3-4, but be played 3 of those games at home and 4 on the road. In game 2 we went 4-3, but 3 of those games were at home, 2 were away, and 2 were neutral sites. The third VCU game was obviously a neutral site as well.

2019-20. We had a .722 conference record. In the first matchup we went 4-1 (.800), in the second matchup we went 3-2 (.600). Assuming we weren't going to beat the Dayton juggernaut no matter when or where the game was played that year, the only difference is we won our first matchup at home against Davidson and lost at Davidson. Again, this seems to be more closely related to home court advantage then slightly overperforming in the first matchup and slightly underperforming in the second matchup.

2020-21. We had a .412 conference record. In the first matchup we went 1-3 (.250), in the second matchup we went 1-3 (.250), In our third matchup against Dayton we lost. However those numbers are actually worse for the 2nd matchup than they appear. In the first game we didn't play any of those games at home and went 1-3. In the second game we had 3 home games and 1 on the road (we played Duquesne twice away due to something Covid related last year). We should expect to have done better in the second matchups due to having mostly home games as opposed to all road games.

2021-22 So far we've beaten Boston College at home and a neutral site. We are scheduled to have multiple games against Davidson, St. Joe's, UMass, George Washington, in theory anyone we play in the A10 tournament, and Dayton if that actually gets rescheduled.

Honestly, this looks better for Cox than I figured going into this, considering the last two years we've had late season collapses and the first year we were a .500 team, but we've still slightly underperformed overall in matchups when we've played a team multiple times. If there's any conclusion I would make so far I would say that essentially our team is what it is and Cox makes little to no difference in season and any difference would be slightly negative. There's something to be said for no real obvious signs of consistently getting outcoached in multiple matchups, however this indicates he needs a significant talent advantage to be successful overall. If I get motivated and bored enough I'll do the same for Hurley and Baron to see what, if any, comparisons can be made between the coaches
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago One thing I was interested in seeing is how does Cox do when playing the same team multiple times.
Jim Baron had a horrible record the 2nd time he played a team in a season and he lasted at URI 11 years,
NCAAs or Bust!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago One thing I was interested in seeing is how does Cox do when playing the same team multiple times.
Jim Baron had a horrible record the 2nd time he played a team in a season and he lasted at URI 11 years,
And Thorr fired him
No way Baron goes 11 years at URi with Thorr the AD

I don’t need to see how Vox does the 2nd time
This is year 4. Time to win the A10 Auto Bid
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago

And Thorr fired him

Let's see. Thorr started at URI in 2007 after JB had been coach for 6 years and tolerated him for another 5 years.

In DH's 4th year at URI, URI finished 7th in the A10 with a 7-7 conference record and Thorr didn't fire him. Thorr hired both DH and DC.
NCAAs or Bust!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago

And Thorr fired him

Let's see. Thorr started at URI in 2007 after JB had been coach for 6 years and tolerated him for another 5 years.

In DH's 4th year at URI, URI finished 7th in the A10 with a 7-7 conference record and Thorr didn't fire him. Thorr hired both DH and DC.
You're seriously comparing Hurley's 4th year to Cox' 4th year? My New Year's resolution is for you to not be so fucking stupid
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

As I said before, I very much doubt winning the conference tournament this season will be the determining factor in retaining Cox.

I think much will depend on our conference play and how well we perform in the A10T.

Many here seem to think that getting to the dance this season is the requirement, and we all are aware of what needs to be done for that to happen.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago As I said before, I very much doubt winning the conference tournament this season will be the determining factor in retaining Cox.

I think much will depend on our conference play and how well we perform in the A10T.

Many here seem to think that getting to the dance this season is the requirement, and we all are aware of what needs to be done for that to happen.
We have disagreed on this this summer, this fall, this season up to now and will continue to through March.

5 year contract, now in year 4, no NCAA bids to date, no contract extension, no salary increases. 10-15 record in year 3, 10th place in A10.

Make or break year imho
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I'd be shocked if he gets fired. Too much disruption. Barring some sort of scandal, or player exodus, he'll get another chance, no matter what this board thinks.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

So how long does URI and Thorr drag this out?

Disruptions or not, something has to change or else we're not going back to the NCAA tourney for a LONG while to come.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

……..if Coach Cox stays then I want to know where the “bar” is……..if Cox is gone, then I want to know where the “bar” is………
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago
You're seriously comparing Hurley's 4th year to Cox' 4th year? My New Year's resolution is for you to not be so fucking stupid
Don't let the facts prejudice your opinion.
NCAAs or Bust!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago As I said before, I very much doubt winning the conference tournament this season will be the determining factor in retaining Cox.

We have disagreed on this this summer, this fall, this season up to now and will continue to through March.

5 year contract, now in year 4, no NCAA bids to date, no contract extension, no salary increases. 10-15 record in year 3, 10th place in A10.

Make or break year imho
Cox's first year we weren't an NCAAT team regardless of what some on this board think.
No coach was going to take that team to the tournament, there were too many A10 teams better than us.
After losing 4 starters and almost all our scoring, it wasn't going to happen.

The next year, there wasn't any post season play, so who cares, no one was "Dancing".
Dayton is the team that suffered the most because of it

Ramster, yes we have disagreed on the ultimatum for Cox this year up till now..
But if the team struggles between now and March, that may not be the case.

Rambone, I am afraid it can be a longer drought than most of us want.
No new coach coming in will make miracles happen.
Especially trying to rebuild an entire roster, and several A10 teams returning a lot of talent.
Not to mention having to contend with Loyola/Chicago.

At this juncture, it is too early to make a call as to what will happen.

IMO
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Cox has squandered what he inherited from Hurley. Cox has shown he can’t keep the players he recruits. There is zero buzz about this program, zero buzz in Recruitment Corner. Year after year under Cox we lose games we should win against Tomato Cans and lose to any team better than us.

We can either extend Cox and accept mediocrity or we can strive to be a consistent force in the A10.

I’m sure Cox is a nice guy but this is a bottom line business and covid be damned we aren’t good enough under Cox.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

……..we need an EC type, that is someone that wants to be the pioneer, to be the corner stone to build around……..someone that wats to come in with or following the next Coach………that realizes the uphill climb will not be quick………I know, every teams at our level wants that player…….but my point is also the Cox recruiting track record, for me is not as good as often opined here…….stated here by someone awhile ago……..’we get excited at the prospect of the recruits that pick us, and then over rate/hype them cause they picked us……’
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago ……..we need an EC type, that is someone that wants to be the pioneer, to be the corner stone to build around……..someone that wats to come in with or following the next Coach………that realizes the uphill climb will not be quick………I know, every teams at our level wants that player…….but my point is also the Cox recruiting track record, for me is not as good as often opined here…….stated here by someone awhile ago……..’we get excited at the prospect of the recruits that pick us, and then over rate/hype them cause they picked us……’
You are exactly right on the recruiting in terms of everyone hyping a player that signs with URI. The players that have been signed those last few years just aren’t that good outside of maybe Ish. I think the program lacks the talent that we all seem to think they have, but also are poorly coached which prevents this program from taking it to another level. With everything going on with CoVID, Cox and for me what this team can actually accomplish I have lost much of my interest in this season. Pretty tough to get excited on what is left of this season.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

STC's post sums it all up very clearly. Great post.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I didn't care for the hiring of DC because I thought he wasn't ready to take our program forward. I agreed with Thorr that he had good potential to eventually be a fine head coach. At this point our program is dying because Thorr will neither fire DC nor extend his contract. Without a contract extension DC cannot recruit good talent going forward. You can extend a coach with an incentive laden contract "AND" a friendly buy-out arrangement if milestones are not met. This is the way DC's original contract should have been written. Not extending DC with such a contract was a big mistake by Thorr. Like DC, Thorr is a very nice person, but URI Athletics is going nowhere with him as the AD. At this point, I favor replacing Thorr and DC.
NCAAs or Bust!
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

My question is did DC request a contract extention and Thorr said no because the $$$ were too high or another reason. Was there a counter offer that DC refused or did they both agree to see what happens or did they agree that at the end of the year they will talk or just not renew. Not to extent contract just leaves too much opened ended as RHODY72 said. Yes BIG MISTAKE
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Make or break year imho
Cox's first year we weren't an NCAAT team regardless of what some on this board think.
No coach was going to take that team to the tournament, there were too many A10 teams better than us.

The next year, there wasn't any post season play, so who cares, no one was "Dancing".

Especially trying to rebuild an entire roster, and several A10 teams returning a lot of talent.

IMO
In that 1st season, URI was picked by Coaches preseason 5th. We finished a disappointing 8th (9-9) and 18-15 overall.

Our starters were:
-Dowtin
-Langevine
-Russell
-Tyrese Martin (replaced Christion Thompson during year)
-Harris

Ryan Preston, Christian Thompson and Dana Tate provided good bench strength
Russell and Langevine both got 18 mpg that increased as the 2017-18 season progressed - so not starters but played very meaningful minutes
Akele chose to go play Professionally in Italy. Cox was not able to keep him at URI.

Good move by Cox was moving Tyrese Martin to starter replacing Christion Thompson

Cox moving Jeff Dowtin off the ball for his Junior Year hurt URI imho. Russell took over as the main ball handler. He made only 40-179 3FG for 22.5%

Data I put together for the Main 2 ball handlers for the 5 years of Hurley and the 4 years of Cox:
  • NCAA Team 2016-17 had Assist/Turnover Ratio for Dowtin of 2.8 as he took the starting PG spot during season.
  • NCAA Team 2017-18 had Assist/Turnover Ratio for Down of 4.7 (183 assists and only 39 turnovers) which put Dowtin among the Top 5 Nationally. This 4.7 today would have Dowtin #3 Nationally this year. He was only a Sophomore showing to be among the best PGs in the nation.
  • Moving Dowtin off the ball his Junior Year resulted in Dowtin dropping to only 122 assists, 59 Turnovers = 2.1 A/TO while Russell had 117 assists and 74 turnovers for only 1.6 A/TO Ratio. Combined they were 1.8 A/TO
Would love to have seen what Dowtin could have done his JR and SR years running the team from the PG position. I think this team could have gone NCAA or at least had a good shot at it in Year 1 of David Cox

Dowtin led URI to the NCAA Tournament including 2 1st round victories (1 more than Ed Cooley lifetime) from the PG Position in his Freshman and Sophomore Seasons, but we moved him off that Floor Leadership position even after he was Top 5 A/TO Nationally his Sophomore year.

Mistake to move Jeff off the ball imho.

D3FDBCF5-6DF6-4BC3-AD1C-5E7E8071D5A2.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Make or break year imho

IMO
In that 1st season, URI was picked by Coaches preseason 5th. We finished a disappointing 8th (9-9) and 18-15 overall.

Our starters were:
-Dowtin
-Langevine
-Russell
-Tyrese Martin (replaced Christion Thompson during year)
-Harris

Ryan Preston, Christian Thompson and Dana Tate provided good bench strength
Russell and Langevine both got 18 mpg that increased as the 2017-18 season progressed - so not starters but played very meaningful minutes
Akele chose to go play Professionally in Italy. Cox was not able to keep him at URI.

Good move by Cox was moving Tyrese Martin to starter replacing Christion Thompson

Cox moving Jeff Dowtin off the ball for his Junior Year hurt URI imho. Russell took over as the main ball handler. He made only 40-179 3FG for 22.5%

Data I put together for the Main 2 ball handlers for the 5 years of Hurley and the 4 years of Cox:
  • NCAA Team 2016-17 had Assist/Turnover Ratio for Dowtin of 2.8 as he took the starting PG spot during season.
  • NCAA Team 2017-18 had Assist/Turnover Ratio for Down of 4.7 (183 assists and only 39 turnovers) which put Dowtin among the Top 5 Nationally. This 4.7 today would have Dowtin #3 Nationally this year. He was only a Sophomore showing to be among the best PGs in the nation.
  • Moving Dowtin off the ball his Junior Year resulted in Dowtin dropping to only 122 assists, 59 Turnovers = 2.1 A/TO while Russell had 117 assists and 74 turnovers for only 1.6 A/TO Ratio. Combined they were 1.8 A/TO
Would love to have seen what Dowtin could have done his JR and SR years running the team from the PG position. I think this team could have gone NCAA or at least had a good shot at it in Year 1 of David Cox

Dowtin led URI to the NCAA Tournament including 2 1st round victories (1 more than Ed Cooley lifetime) from the PG Position in his Freshman and Sophomore Seasons, but we moved him off that Floor Leadership position even after he was Top 5 A/TO Nationally his Sophomore year.

Mistake to move Jeff off the ball imho.

D3FDBCF5-6DF6-4BC3-AD1C-5E7E8071D5A2.jpeg
Ramster we were picked as high as 4th in one poll and as low as 11th in another.
3 Man Weave had us 7th, Street and Smith had us 10th.
I think the composite or consensus ranking was around 6.6

Crazy thing is almost everyone picked VCU around 7-10 and they finished 1st at 16-2 (A10)
Dayton also finished much higher than predicted.

Very doubtful we would have overtaken VCU, SLU (NCAA bids) or even Davidson and Dayton (NIT bids).
We finished 8th, and possibly could have finished higher than GM or Duquesne, probably not ahead of the Bonnies.

Both Davidson and SLU returned 3 and 4 starters.
Dayton had 3 all A10 players- Toppin, Cunningham, and Crutcher.
VCU had 2 all A10 players- Evans, and Jenkins.

The biggest disappointment was St. Joe's finishing much lower than many predicted.

Ramster to think we had a chance to make the NCAAT or even a bubble team was an extreme reach.
Remember not only losing our star players including 4 starters, but also our head coach.
That was Cox's first year at being a Div. 1 HC, and would've been too much to ask of him.
How many times has a mid-major team accomplished that under those circumstances?
Last edited by Jersey77 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I don't care what you inherited in year 1, by tear 4 it is your team.
NCAAs or Bust!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago I don't care what you inherited in year 1, by tear 4 it is your team.
I think we are all aware of that.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago I don't care what you inherited in year 1, by tear 4 it is your team.
Not jilted DH lovers.
NCAAs or Bust!
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

Unread post by Not Mike Powell »

“Through his first 100 games at Rhode Island, David Cox is 58-42. Only legendary Hall of Famer Frank Keaney won more in his first 100 games with the Rams. #GoRhody #Leadership” per the URI Men’s Basketball Instagram.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Not Mike Powell wrote: 2 years ago “Through his first 100 games at Rhode Island, David Cox is 58-42. Only legendary Hall of Famer Frank Keaney won more in his first 100 games with the Rams. #GoRhody #Leadership” per the URI Men’s Basketball Instagram.
Time to rename the Ryan Center?
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Not Mike Powell wrote: 2 years ago “Through his first 100 games at Rhode Island, David Cox is 58-42. Only legendary Hall of Famer Frank Keaney won more in his first 100 games with the Rams. #GoRhody #Leadership” per the URI Men’s Basketball Instagram.
Exhibit A why you can’t just look at numbers / the boxscore when judging players and coaches.
Go Rhody
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

You have to keep up with his illogic! He’s referencing Hurley’s year 4 as if it is the same as Cox’s year 4, which only makes sense if you pretend the program was and is in the same place. We know that’s not true. But also, a person who feels jilted would not be defending/loving Hurley. He’s just all over the place here, and he hasn’t even brought out the old standby, that being that programmatic support stinks so how can ANYONE be successful?! As mediocre as it has been, the basketball has been better than most of what is showing up on this board these days.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

This doesn't help.
GO RAMS
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I’m not as down on Cox as some of you, but a weak OOC schedule and an overall downturn for the conference is a good way to stack those numbers.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

rhodyrudder wrote: 2 years ago
Wow, that's impressive. So is this:

From 2009 through 2011 Jed Brian Hoyer was the second leading passer for the New England Patriots with 1 touchdown. The only quarterback with more touchdowns was Tom Brady, who threw 103.
Last edited by PeteRI 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago

From 2009 through 2011 Jed Hoyer was the second leading passer for the New England Patriots with 1 touchdown. The only quarterback with more touchdowns was Tom Brady, who threw 103.
Jed Hoyer??? Try again.

Signed,
Brian Hoyer
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago
PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago

From 2009 through 2011 Jed Hoyer was the second leading passer for the New England Patriots with 1 touchdown. The only quarterback with more touchdowns was Tom Brady, who threw 103.
Jed Hoyer??? Try again.

Signed,
Brian Hoyer
If he was any good I would remember his first name. :D
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

JFC I'm being trolled by own Alma Mater's Instagram account....
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I don't give a flying twat about Cox's record 58-42 being second best.

We're no closer to an NCAA berth since he's been here, in fact we're farther away from one.

If you measure our program by NCAA trips, as Thorr has said should be the goal here, he doesn't measure up.