Tyrese Martin (URI ---> UConn)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Re: Tyrese Martin to Transfer

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Yea he’s not a guard. He’s about the most prototypical SF we’ve had since Delroy.
Go Rhody
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Him leaving opens up more PT for Toppin at the 3.

And that's a good thing for Toppin...and us.

I'm not really knocking Martin either....just don't want Jacob to pull a Tyrese.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

UCH21377 wrote: 4 years ago
ramster wrote: 4 years ago This was from the Richmond Game Thread.
I have a bit of a different perspective now than I had then............

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago
.....another symptom of the disease me me.....
Ramster I respectfully but totally disagree with your statement that Martin is a guard. He is a small forward; a scorer, a rebounder, not a great ball handler, and a poor passer. Not a guard at all IMO.
I understand your point

But consider.......
  • Every game this year and last year Martin is listed in the scorebook as a guard
  • Martin is listed on the URI Official Roster as a Guard
  • Martin replaced Christion Thompson in the Starting Line Up midway through last season and Thompson was listed always as a Guard
  • EC Mathews and Jared Terrell were listed as Guards
  • URI has played for many years now 2 F and 3 G, sometimes 1 F and 4 G with Hurley
Maybe you think Cox was playing Martin out of position at Guard but URI has consistently referred to Martin as a Guard.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

He’s definitely a 3 first. He cannot handle the ball himself and is a great rebounder.
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I don’t disagree at all.
I also remember EC Mathews getting a huge amount of criticism here on his ball handling ability.
Christion Thompson was more of a rebounder too than ball handler and he was a below average shooter.
Matt Keebler
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Matt Keebler »

First time, long time. If he’s listed as a guard and clearly played guard, why do we think he’s a forward? He also brought the ball up occasionally, definitely a 2 and not a 3 despite his rebounding ability.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

https://the-boneyard.com/threads/uri-tr ... in.154835/

Interesting take from UConn fans views on Martin. Some want him and some want no part of him
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Ramster I was considering the skill set not whatever he was listed as in the roster
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

This conversation about whether he is a guard or a forward is outdated by about 20 years.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Sorry we didn’t obtain your approval to have this conversation, especially coming from someone who thinks centers are still meant to hang around the rim and not shoot or pass
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

So what you’re saying I guess is that we could have played a lineup of Martin Toppin Walker Harris Cyril and it would have worked fine since all skills interchange right?
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Well we could flip over to the normal idiotic dated by 20 years usual Keaneyblue point guard talk..

We all got plenty of time mostly...

T Martin I’d call a tweener, probably a equally dated bit of basketball lingo.

:)
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Yes I guess I date myself oh well. And agree there’s a little too much time on my hands. Thankfully I can work from home. Feel bad for those who can’t
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Not sure what the defensiveness is all about. The main point is that a three is not really a forward in modern college basketball. So having a discussion about whether he’s a 2 or a 3 and whether he’s a guard or a forward are not exactly the same. Regardless, Martin is a wing - he’s not much of a ball handler and is a good rebounder, but he’s primarily a perimeter player.
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

All good TP a little heavy with my reaction last night
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

If you want to call Tyrese a G, then he was clearly the 3rd G in a 3 G line-up. When Jeff or Fatts sat, he moved up to the SG. Many teams play today with the SG and SF being interchangeable. Tyrese is clearly not a PF. Tyrese has a clear role as a 3rd G or SF on just about any team. On offense he played in the corner and hit the boards when others took shots. He did not have a defensive responsibility when one of the other guards drove to the basket. The discussion about Tyrese having few assists is meaningless for his role.
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago https://the-boneyard.com/threads/uri-tr ... in.154835/

Interesting take from UConn fans views on Martin. Some want him and some want no part of him
Maybe because he consistently received techs.
GO RAMS
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

All good UCH
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Deciding tomorrow, per Rothstein.
Go Rhody
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

I know nothing (as usual) but I'm thinking UConn is th heavy favorite here.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

UConn had Sid Wilson transfer, and a transfer target of theirs committed to Ole Miss, so I’m guessing that eliminates Ole Miss for Tyrese and bumps UConn up.

Still think he’s going SH.
Go Rhody
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Rhody72 wrote: 4 years ago If you want to call Tyrese a G, then he was clearly the 3rd G in a 3 G line-up. When Jeff or Fatts sat, he moved up to the SG. Many teams play today with the SG and SF being interchangeable. Tyrese is clearly not a PF. Tyrese has a clear role as a 3rd G or SF on just about any team. On offense he played in the corner and hit the boards when others took shots. He did not have a defensive responsibility when one of the other guards drove to the basket. The discussion about Tyrese having few assists is meaningless for his role.
Tyrese was what we called in the old days a swingman. Stan Wright and Percy Davis come to mind.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago Not sure what the defensiveness is all about. The main point is that a three is not really a forward in modern college basketball. So having a discussion about whether he’s a 2 or a 3 and whether he’s a guard or a forward are not exactly the same. Regardless, Martin is a wing - he’s not much of a ball handler and is a good rebounder, but he’s primarily a perimeter player.
agree, but always thought that he could have posted up several times a game and been very successful doing that. Our coaching staff never tried it.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Here's a good thread ideer....list 20 transfers, and have people predict where they are going.
Winner gets to go sit by themselves someplace and share a beer with nobody.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I kind of want him to pick UConn just so we can get another 3-4 pages of "kids these days" posts around here!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago I kind of want him to pick UConn just so we can get another 3-4 pages of "kids these days" posts around here!
That...would be an awesome time-waster. VERY well played.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago I kind of want him to pick UConn just so we can get another 3-4 pages of "kids these days" posts around here!
You are going to get your wish. He is going to Uconn. My parents are from CT and are big fans and have heard that he is joining Hurley from people around the program. The fans are pretty mixed as they wanted Landers Nolley.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Tyrese is a talented player, but to me, he doesn't seem to be a Hurley type player at all.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago Tyrese is a talented player, but to me, he doesn't seem to be a Hurley type player at all.
On the surface, I would agree. But...Hurls does seem to have a way to get the most out of people and he could probably do the same with Tyrese...I don't have any reason to think he couldn't.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago Tyrese is a talented player, but to me, he doesn't seem to be a Hurley type player at all.
He will certainly get under Hurley’s skin if he isn’t intense on defense or makes lackluster passes or plays. It could be a love/hate relationship at Uconn
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago Here's a good thread ideer....list 20 transfers, and have people predict where they are going.
Winner gets to go sit by themselves someplace and share a beer with nobody.
Great idea but no one would win.....trying to pick where anybody goes nowadays is impossible...or if you get one right, then they change their mind.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Tyrese to UConn...really, does he think he'll get more minutes there? Less if anything.

Guess those P5 offers didn't amount to much huh?

Makes you wonder if there is more to the story about him leaving here.

I have never bashed the kid. But something's rotten in Denmark with him.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Tyrese to UConn...really, does he think he'll get more minutes there? Less if anything.

Guess those P5 offers didn't amount to much huh?

Makes you wonder if there is more to the story about him leaving here.

I have never bashed the kid. But something's rotten in Denmark with him.
I picked him to be leading scorer this year. But, somehow he just seemed to wind up "too cool for (this) school" and it never happened...
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

If he's not playing much, that should give him more time to live his life.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

touche
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Well Hurley was the head coach when Tyrese was being recruited, so by default he is a Hurley player.

If he does go there, I look forward to booing him when he visits the Dunk, then quickly change course and cheer for UConn to beat PC by 50.
Go Rhody
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Done deal for sure. I see his minutes decreasing there. I don’t see it being a smart move in the end.
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

I wish him the best, but not sure I see him cracking the starting line up. I hope he proves me wrong and I actually think that he has that killer instinct. I think he would have worked out much better here after all our additions this off season. Hopefully Hurley gets in Tyrese's head and is able to get the most out of him.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Even though Dan recruited Tyrese 3 years ago, this doesn't smell right.
GO RAMS
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Martin would have been a star here, probably our best player along with Toppin after Fatts leaves.

At UConn, not likely.

Again, something wasn't right here as far as he was concerned imo.

I don't blame Cox for this one.

Yes, Hurley recruited him here, but how do you really know how he'll turn out until he's been here a while?
Last edited by rambone 78 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Dan recruited Tyrese
Dan is re-recruiting Tyrese
I’d expect Dan to play Tyrese a lot since he is pulling him to his team yet again
If Dan didn’t want Tyrese he wouldn’t be re-recruiting him, he would simply have said no, we are full

Several negative comments have been made about Tyrese’s defense......

I found Tyrese fun and interesting to watch on defense. The camera doesn’t catch this on TV, but when you are court side you see how players go at one another

Nobody on URI trash-talks as much as Tyrese, but it is between him and his man on the floor. They talk from a short distance away, sometimes a very short distance. They dint often look at one another, you only see their lips moving much of the time. It’s not so easy to see if you are not looking for it, but it’s definitely there. Tyrese is very intense on his man to man defense and gets in his opponents head. I like that in him.
He doesn’t complain with the Referees much which I really like in players - let the Head Coach handle the referees. He appears to most fans to be quiet on the court and he is also quiet on the bench.
He is an excellent rebounder for a shooting guard (or small forward, 3, 4, wing, whatever anyone wants to call him), but he gets position, uses his size, his determination and his talent to rebound with the best of big men.
I wish he had stayed here, I think he will be missed a lot these next two years and wish him the best wherever he goes, except for one school out of 352 (da fryuzzzzz)
Last edited by ramster 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Sounds like his AAU coach is front and center with this change.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If that's true....Martin played here for 2 years, shouldn't he have a stronger relationship by now with his coaching staff HERE rather than who he played for years ago?

I guess he didn't though. Whatever the issue was, he left because of it.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

With Bouknight, Polley and new recruit Andre Jackson who all are 6-4 to 6-6 2/3 combo guys that IMO are better than Tyrese it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to go to Uconn. But what do I know. I do know Dan was very fond of Tyrese and liked his game.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Martin can’t be streaky there. He will find a seat on the pine. He can’t take games off like he did here.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

My God, transfer already.

My personal nightmare is that he changes his mind and wants to return. Never did like his game, this is our opportunity to upgrade the position.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

No, Martin will need to step up his consistency. Here he was assured of 35 mpg as were Russell and Dowtin. Consistency wasn’t a strength was any of those 3 players this past season.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago No, Martin will need to step up his consistency. Here he was assured of 35 mpg as were Russell and Dowtin. Consistency wasn’t a strength was any of those 3 players this past season.
lol that’s what I just said.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Martin would have been a star here, probably our best player along with Toppin after Fatts leaves.

At UConn, not likely.

Again, something wasn't right here as far as he was concerned imo.

I don't blame Cox for this one.

Yes, Hurley recruited him here, but how do you really know how he'll turn out until he's been here a while?
He most likely isn’t going to be a star, but we shouldn’t think that he isn’t going to be a starter who plays big minutes at Uconn. Will he play as much as he would have at URI-probably not, but he probably wants to play in the Big East and play on a bigger stage with an improved chance to make the NCAA tournament. It is too bad that they he left and I was pretty upset at first, but we might as well let it go and look forward to getting Murray or the next transfer or recruit.