1/5 | Richmond | 12:00PM (ESPN+/YurView)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Re: 1/5 | Richmond | 12:00PM (ESPN+/YurView)

Unread post by Rhodyram »

When does the Davidson thread start so we can forget abt Richmond????
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

Rhodyram wrote: 4 years ago When does the Davidson thread start so we can forget abt Richmond????
For real... I just wanna focus on the Davidson game now. Let's pray that DC has a new plan for wednesday.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ram1980 wrote: 4 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago I keep seeing that we need to bring in "shooters" to compete and win.

We don't though. You don't need to be a good shooting team to be a good basketball team.

What you do need to do is play to your strengths. If you're not a good shooting team, settling for outside shots isn't going to get it done.

We have possibly the longest and most athletic team we've ever had up and down the roster. We have a short, gifted finisher in Fatts Russell.

This weave at the top of the key doesn't work if there's no motion to open up a lane underneath. The "high post" ball handler doesn't work if no one moves around him.

No back door cuts. No motion anywhere inside the 3 point line.

This team should be going to the basket 90% of the time. We don't have a single consistent shooter.

On top of that, if you don't have shooters, you need to be a good defensive team. To be a good defensive team - especially when you play predominantly man defense - it just takes EFFORT. I've seen maybe 3 mins of defensive effort at guarding the 3 point line and that was right after the half against Brown.

The other 77 minutes have been trash, lazy, and uninspired defense. If I've had one criticism of Dave's coaching, it's been his perceived lack of emotion. I think he's a brilliant basketball mind. I think he understands the game at an incredibly high level - but teams tend to get their emotional cues from their coach.

Hurley was a great example. On a completely different wave length Izzo, Boeheim, Coach K - all firey guys who's teams produce on the defensive end.

If we can't shoot we can still win. We just need to recognize that and play to our strengths instead of trying the huck and chuck to keep up with better shooting teams.
And that aggressive defense creates some easy baskets. As a poor shooting team, we need a few of those each game. As you call it, lazy and uninspired defense isn't going to create any of those.
Bingo.. that is how this team needs to play.. way too many open 3's for Richmond and if Golden didn't have such a horrible game would have lost by 20. Our best games are when we cause turnovers and get out and run for easy buckets
Golden is a player who some KBers love to hate.
I didn’t see him as having a horrible game, but thought he had a good game
9 rebounds
10 points
Golden had a Game High 5 assists
All in 27 minutes

Richmond’s other Forward Nathan Cayo, came in averaging just 3.8 rpg and 7.8 ppg but he exploded for 11 rebounds and 19 points in just 29 minutes. We struggled containing Cayo.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

You know, when I first came on URI basketball message boards on the internet, some 23 years ago, half a lifetime ago to be exact...

I was only 23 ish, and there were some crusty, salty old men on here who would literally complain about everything. Or at least, that's how "wet behind the ears" me saw it, at the time. Dinosaurs roamed the Earth back then, the internet was just invented and we had no idea what to do with it. So, we developed message boards so young and old could come together. The young would bring their enthusiasm, and the old would bring their complaining, I mean, "wisdom".

Fast forward to today. Now I am the crusty old guy. So, I give you this pearl of information, for the guys I looked up to, some of which are no longer with us.

People say Free Throws are the easiest thing in basketball to practice and improve on. I disagree.

You know what the easiest thing to improve on in this game is, and it once put Rhode Island on the map? Passing the ball.

This is the place where the Fast Break was invented and passing was turned into an art form. It allowed this little, "piss hole in the snow" of a state (as my mom used to call it), to get on the map, with all of the big boys that were taking up the game, 100 years ago. Innovation.

Now, we have people on this team, who have NBA aspirations, who can't pass the ball to their teammates. Can you figure this out? We can teach passing to 7 year olds, most of which will never be able to play Div 1 college basketball, but they can pass the ball before the age of 10.

Why am I bitching about this? Because, you see, if we cannot pass the ball effectively, what exactly ARE we working on in practice? People come here, which deficiencies in their game, and we say "oh, they are young, they have plenty of time to figure that out" But then never get better at the things they are worst at? Does anyone address this stuff?
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Interesting to note that Cayo was very similar in size and style to the kid Choh on Brown. And both had a field day on us.
Took our 4/5 man away from hoop and went to town on us. And we failed to adjust.
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago Interesting to note that Cayo was very similar in size and style to the kid Choh on Brown. And both had a field day on us.
Took our 4/5 man away from hoop and went to town on us. And we failed to adjust.
And its very concerning because in both cases it reversed the exact part of the game where it was thought URI had an edge in both cases.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Blue Man has a point about Cox.

He's very soft spoken...go to any coach's show and sit close to him as you can, and you still can hardly hear him.

Yes I also think he knows the game well, but something isn't translating over to his team.

Do we need another Hurley type to get the most out of the players?

It's also beyond obvious we aren't playing to our strengths.

A lot of this might be that we just don't have many options personnel wise.

They can give more effort on D though. Whoever is playing.

The jury is still out on this staff. With more depth next season, we'll see if improvements are made.

If the same problems persist, well...…..
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Blue Man has a point about Cox.

He's very soft spoken...go to any coach's show and sit close to him as you can, and you still can hardly hear him.

Yes I also think he knows the game well, but something isn't translating over to his team.

The jury is still out on this staff. With more depth next season, we'll see if improvements are made.

You’ve clearly never sat near the bench.
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago

^I have- he is anything but soft spoken and the language is anything but PG
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well are they listening to him?
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

I wouldn't even say I have a problem with Dave's demeanor - it's just one thing I don't "connect" with him on. It obviously works for the most part. He's not firey or animate a majority of the time with his players or referees. I've definitely seen it - but it's in a very rare minority of the time.

I've seen Dave sternly talk to players, but with a lack in demonstrative body language. Again, this is a me thing. Since I am an excitable, animated, reactionary asshole - I most strongly gravitate towards people of a similar ilk.

My only question is - does it filter over to the players?

The last 2 games from a far (or as far away as you could be in the Pizzitola Center) or from looking at his back (from 205) - coach has looked 'disinterested' to say the least. Save for Jacob Toppin, the team mimic'd him defensively.

He could be super fired up, and I just didn't notice it from my seat - but typically it's clear when a guy is fired up and when he's not.

Again, it's not who he is so I can't really say if it's good or not. And again, I LOVE DC. I also think we can catch fire and turn it around. I just think this is a curious point of criticism to watch for in future games.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Wow... Bone have you been to a game anytime recently?

Cox is extremely animated on the bench. Like Hurley I don’t believe he has a open chair to sit in usually. He’s no maniac but he’s far from quiet in game.

Also when I coached nothing got my teams attention more than going quiet and shaking my head vs my usual animated crazy nut job routine. A tactic used sparingly but by good coaches everywhere. Well deserved coach reaction the last couple games(I did not make it to the Pizz)

Sometimes Bone u just have me shaking my head.

It’s all in good fun I guess but wow...

Also, looks like some new posters are joining in the analysis! Excellent - this board needs more opinions and active posters!
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

I’ve seen/ heard him light up more than a few players on the bench this season. He’s not punching tables like Hurley but he uses a very colorful vocabulary to get his pt. across.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Rhodyram wrote: 4 years ago I’ve seen/ heard him light up more than a few players on the bench this season. He’s not punching tables like Hurley but he uses a very colorful vocabulary to get his pt. across.
Yep for sure!

Also let’s not forget what a difficult transition it is as a coach moving from assistant to boss.

The first half of last season was all you needed to watch to understand how hard it is!
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

If richmond was actually good that game would have been a blowout.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Someone called this out earlier, and I agree 100%...I think our team and coach are missing an identity. What is their calling card? How are they going to beat you? With Dan we immediately had an identity, his identity...we were going to be tougher/stronger than you, and we were going to be a nuisance on the defensive end. That was our calling card for all 6 years he was HC and he brought it with him. The team reflects the coach.

I think DC is still trying to define/identify what his is and I think as a result the team doesn't necessarily have it either.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Koch is 100% spot on. Spiders stood around a bit in 2nd half but when URI was surging and they started moving again we couldn’t defend their 1/2 court stuff...
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Running Ram wrote: 4 years ago I try not to post too soon after a loss. But wtf we're watching the wheels fall off the bus in real time. This is why I love the off-season, I'm the off-season optimist, three months ago we were NCAA tournament bound, now we're an trying to play our way omto the NIT bubble team and fading. Ugh
Fixed it.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Yes of course I have seen Cox get animated, but is any of it getting through to the guys?

I guess that's what I should have said.

When I have been able to get to a game or 2, I usually end up sitting where there is less oxygen...it's harder to tell up there lol.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Yes of course I have seen Cox get animated, but is any of it getting through to the guys?
We shall find out Wednesday!

Slow down with the typing big fella it’s only hoops

:)
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Rhodyram wrote: 4 years ago I’ve seen/ heard him light up more than a few players on the bench this season. He’s not punching tables like Hurley but he uses a very colorful vocabulary to get his pt. across.
I was somewhat behind the bench at the Pizz...and Holy Crap, did I hear him light up the team...almost in a Huggins kind of way. I was shocked, because I can’t hear that from my seats ordinarily...WOW.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhodyFanNotAlum wrote: 4 years ago
Running Ram wrote: 4 years ago Fatt's is not the problem, he has heart coming out his ears. This team was set up to have enough talent to go to the NCAA's and it's been one personnel issue after another, it, without a doubt, fucks with team cohesion. Like I have with every coach I've followed at URI, even CFL, I give them their dues, but also admit what's lacking or diminishing. I said I've been impressed with Cox on the whole, but those that want to absolve him from blame where the roster is always churning and disrupting cohesion, get a clue.
Fatts has plenty of heart, sure, but he's also a sub-.400 shooter — and when he's off for the first 30 minutes of a game he rarely turns it around suddenly for the last 10. So it's incumbent on him to stop trying to be the hero or for Cox to adjust the lineup.

Fatts coming up with the ball and then missing a meaningless three as time expired was a fitting ending to the day yesterday. (Just as a broken pylon that wasn't emitting any smoke during the player intros was a fitting beginning.)
The control box fell over onto the floor just before the National Anthem. It made a Big Bang. Wonder if that broke the pylon from working.

I was kind of surprised Russell took that 3P from the corner as time expired, would it have made more sense to hold the ball?
His shots were way off the mark for the most part vs Richmond.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I'm not ok with Tyrese retweeting this. Who cares about individual stats? We lost the effin' game!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago I'm not ok with Tyrese retweeting this. Who cares about individual stats? We lost the effin' game!
.....another symptom of the disease me me.....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

That’s literally every kid with a Twitter or IG page.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Its not unique to our guys, this is a sign of the times and the social media age...that said I don't love it either. Tone deaf and sends the wrong message even if it's just youthful exuberance.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

If Cox is such a hard ass, as some suggest, tell his players to stop posting their stats when we lose a game.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

I’m old school(understatement) normally anything that doesn’t spell TEAM or contribute to a focus on winning I object to.

A teenager retweet’s a team issued release to make sure his friends and folks back home see it?

Doesn’t meet the criteria of objectionable to me...

The team even linked to his hashtag in the post.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

hrstrat57 wrote: 4 years ago I’m old school(understatement) normally anything that doesn’t spell TEAM or contribute to a focus on winning I object to.

A teenager retweet’s a team issued release to make sure his friends and folks back home see it?

I think I'm older school than you are :)
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago
hrstrat57 wrote: 4 years ago I’m old school(understatement) normally anything that doesn’t spell TEAM or contribute to a focus on winning I object to.

I think I'm older school than you are :)
Lol!

I expect all our questions will be answered Wednesday night.

Hopefully we like the answers.

I also think Russell might be dinged a little bit(no inside info)
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

No wonder he's humming the ball at his teammates. Probably an "if you can't keep up, too bad" thing.

Yeah, that's going to build the team chemistry. One thing about teams that pass the ball well: passing the ball is a team building exercise, always has been.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

2020 has been a big suckfest so far.

Cox is unhappy.

The team is unhappy.

This board is unhappy [and cranky].

Giants' fans are unhappy.

Pats' fans are unhappy.

Red Sox fans, already unhappy, might become even more unhappy.

Anybody else?
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

Gee whiz. It's a re-tweet, not like he created it.
Let the kid be happy about a good game.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Actually would love to see Toppin start instead of Reece next game

How bout Cox sending that subtle message !!
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

reef wrote: 4 years ago Actually would love to see Toppin start instead of Reece next game

How bout Cox sending that subtle message !!
What!?

Jacob posted his stats as well.

You all are really starting to go overboard.

Let’s just put them all in cells until practice and game day next...that’ll fix everything!
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

It's 2020, lets keep up fellow oldschoolers, tweeter re-twiting is a thing. :P
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I trust Cox to do the right thing it’s his team time to push the right buttons and get this thing turned around
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Don't make reef get livid. You wouldn't like him when get's livid...

Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

I wouldn't look into Rese retweeting his double-double as some kind of Allen Iverson (not a passer) type move. The Rhody MBB account was the one who created the tweet, he then retweeted. He deserves to be proud of his accomplishment. I'm really SMH lately with how some posters here are coming down on these kids for such trivial things.
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

I definitely agree that we should bench the two players that actually showed heart last week, and filled the stat sheet, because they retweeted something that our official basketball account tweeted.

Wait, what?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I wouldn't be taking Martin out of the starting line up and neither would I guess Cox is considering it since Martin played a game high 37 minutes vs Richmond. Martin had a game high 6 offensive rebounds with the next closest player having 3 including Langevine and Toppin with 3 each. Martin had 12 rebounds to lead URI and hit a respectable 7-15 FGs, 2-2 FTs for 17 points. Only flaw was 4 TOs but he did play 37 minutes.
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

Unread post by RhodyFanNotAlum »

This is what we’re debating while the ship is sinking?
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

PC Board after consecutive losses:
1.) Our offensive system sucks, F&*% the Flex
2.) We can't shoot or hit free throws
3.) Blame Diallo

URI Board after consecutive losses:
1.) Our offensive system sucks, F&*% the Weave
3.) Blame Fatts

Anyone even hinting at reduced minutes for Fatts or Tyrese needs to have their head examined.
They both need to be coached, not benched.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago I wouldn't look into Rese retweeting his double-double as some kind of Allen Iverson (not a passer) type move. The Rhody MBB account was the one who created the tweet, he then retweeted. He deserves to be proud of his accomplishment. I'm really SMH lately with how some posters here are coming down on these kids for such trivial things.
Bingo and on top of that, (while I haven't checked) I wouldn't be surprised if several players both followed and retweeted the men's basketball account often. Why wouldn't they?
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago PC Board after consecutive losses:
1.) Our offensive system sucks, F&*% the Flex
3.) Blame Diallo

URI Board after consecutive losses:
1.) Our offensive system sucks, F&*% the Weave
3.) Blame Fatts

Anyone even hinting at reduced minutes for Fatts or Tyrese needs to have their head examined.
They both need to be coached, not benched.

Maybe a Head Examiner should offer up His/Her Services to Keaney Blue and the 247 PC Friar Boards? Kind of like Ambulance Chasing?
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago
Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago I wouldn't look into Rese retweeting his double-double as some kind of Allen Iverson (not a passer) type move. The Rhody MBB account was the one who created the tweet, he then retweeted. He deserves to be proud of his accomplishment. I'm really SMH lately with how some posters here are coming down on these kids for such trivial things.
Bingo and on top of that, (while I haven't checked) I wouldn't be surprised if several players both followed and retweeted the men's basketball account often. Why wouldn't they?
Exactly! Especially since not all of their followers are following Rhody MBB anyway.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

College basketball fans across the county are very similar. Lose a few games and its "fire the coach", "we just aren't that good" ect. Then win a few and its "what seed will we get in the tournament" "can we sign the coach to a longer contract" ect. Its human emotion and its totally normal.
GO RAMS
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......what, saying we are bipolar or something.....
Ram logo via Grist 1938