2021-22 Schedule (top post is current)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Re: 2021-22 Schedule (top post is current)

Unread post by Jersey77 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago

Being a fan doesn't mean eating whatever slop is thrown your way and being happy for the privilege. Being a fan unfortunately sometimes means saying enough is enough, I'm not going to support a bad product
And being an entitled fan is doing that after 2 disappointing seasons as a fan of freakin URI basketball. We aren't exactly talking about the Yankees or Duke here. If you are a fan, and have been for any meaningful duration of time, it has come with plenty of ups and downs. Way more downs than a 10-15 season in a global pandemic when you couldn't even go to games following a season where you started well and collapsed down the stretch. If you literally duck out during the downs and come back for the ups you would be by textbook definition a fair weather fan.
Three disappointing seasons with the AD unable or unwilling to make the necessary coaching change for things to start to improve. My time, money, and energy are better spend on the women's basketball team under these conditions
Sorry, but you don't making a coaching change in just 3 seasons. This team does have some potential with it's roster.
Cox 1st year as a Div. 1 head coach, he takes over a team that lost 4 starters and almost all the scoring.
2nd year - Won 21 games, very disappointing finish, but had a 10 game winning streak. All postseason cancelled.
3rd year - Ugly season in a year that was drastically affected by the pandemic, new roster, very limited practices, injuries, last minute scheduling changes, no fans.
This definitely didn't warrant replacing a head coach and starting another roster rebuild in this short time span.
Yes , you can do whatever you want with your $ and time, but don't put this on the AD.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Being a fan doesn't mean eating whatever slop is thrown your way and being happy for the privilege. Being a fan unfortunately sometimes means saying enough is enough, I'm not going to support a bad product
And being an entitled fan is doing that after 2 disappointing seasons as a fan of freakin URI basketball. We aren't exactly talking about the Yankees or Duke here. If you are a fan, and have been for any meaningful duration of time, it has come with plenty of ups and downs. Way more downs than a 10-15 season in a global pandemic when you couldn't even go to games following a season where you started well and collapsed down the stretch. If you literally duck out during the downs and come back for the ups you would be by textbook definition a fair weather fan.
Three disappointing seasons with the AD unable or unwilling to make the necessary coaching change for things to start to improve. My time, money, and energy are better spend on the women's basketball team under these conditions
Do they sell beer at the women's games?
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago

Sorry, but you don't making a coaching change in just 3 seasons. This team does have some potential with it's roster.
Cox 1st year as a Div. 1 head coach, he takes over a team that lost 4 starters and almost all the scoring.
2nd year - Won 21 games, very disappointing finish, but had a 10 game winning streak. All postseason cancelled.
3rd year - Ugly season in a year that was drastically affected by the pandemic, new roster, very limited practices, injuries, last minute scheduling changes, no fans.
This definitely didn't warrant replacing a head coach and starting another roster rebuild in this short time span.
Yes , you can do whatever you want with your $ and time, but don't put this on the AD.
You make a coaching change if you know you don't have the right coach. Anyone paying attention that has knowledge of college basketball knows we don't have the right coach.

1st year - Jeff Dowtin, Cyril Langevine, Fatts Russell, top 50 recruiting class. If the class never developed then the staff failed and we shouldn't want them around. If the class wasn't that good then there was no point in hiring David Cox in the first place. Young core should have gotten better as the year went on and been fighting for an NIT birth, instead they were terrible in the A10 and were fighting to stay out of the A10 tournament play in games.

2nd year - who cares that they won 21 games and had a 10 game winning streak if you collapse at the end and play yourself out of tournament contention? Typical Jim Baron era bullshit. Cox had no answers for our collapse at the end.

3rd year - terrible, horrible, very bad year. New roster because Cox can't keep anyone around, a giant red flag. Every team in the country dealt with the pandemic, limited practices, injuries, last minute scheduling changes, and no fans. In fact we were affected far less than most. Instead of getting better as the year went on we got worse, the hallmark of bad coaching. For the second February in three years under Cox we were fighting to stay out of the A10 tournament play in games. Message board posters had a better idea of who was and wasn't playing for the opponents than the head coach and his hand picked staff. Lost, clueless, no answers from the coach

Our program is getting worse over time and plays worse as the year goes on. That's bad coaching. You don't keep a bad coach around, even if it's "just 3 seasons"
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago

Good question, whenever I've gone to games I've never really looked
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago

Good question, whenever I've gone to games I've never really looked
99 bucks for a season ticket. Enticing.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

You make a coaching change if you know you don't have the right coach. Anyone paying attention that has knowledge of college basketball knows we don't have the right coach.

1st year - Jeff Dowtin, Cyril Langevine, Fatts Russell, top 50 recruiting class. If the class never developed then the staff failed and we shouldn't want them around. If the class wasn't that good then there was no point in hiring David Cox in the first place. Young core should have gotten better as the year went on and been fighting for an NIT birth, instead they were terrible in the A10 and were fighting to stay out of the A10 tournament play in games.

2nd year - who cares that they won 21 games and had a 10 game winning streak if you collapse at the end and play yourself out of tournament contention? Typical Jim Baron era bullshit. Cox had no answers for our collapse at the end.

3rd year - terrible, horrible, very bad year. New roster because Cox can't keep anyone around, a giant red flag. Every team in the country dealt with the pandemic, limited practices, injuries, last minute scheduling changes, and no fans. In fact we were affected far less than most. Instead of getting better as the year went on we got worse, the hallmark of bad coaching. For the second February in three years under Cox we were fighting to stay out of the A10 tournament play in games. Message board posters had a better idea of who was and wasn't playing for the opponents than the head coach and his hand picked staff. Lost, clueless, no answers from the coach

Our program is getting worse over time and plays worse as the year goes on. That's bad coaching. You don't keep a bad coach around, even if it's "just 3 seasons"
You like several others on this board want to pull the trigger too soon.
I am not convinced at this time that Cox won't succeed here.
You may end up being right, but now isn't the time for the administration to make those decisions.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

CamsRams wrote: 2 years ago
For some of us older retired fans/alumni, this may be a nice road trip to Florida.
Go to the the game in Ft. Myers on the 13th and travel to Daytona for the tournament on the 20th and 21st.
This is a trip I am seriously considering.
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

CamsRams wrote: 2 years ago
For some of us older retired fans/alumni, this may be a nice road trip to Florida.
Go to the the game in Ft. Myers on the 13th and travel to Daytona for the tournament on the 20th and 21st.
This is a trip I am seriously considering.
I'll be there!
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Thorr imo has made it clear that Cox is on the hot seat, when he did not extend him after last season.

What it will take to DC to keep his job after this coming season, is a matter of debate.

To me, his bench coaching and late season collapses are the biggest issues. Wins and losses are a huge factor of course, but to me, it's a lot more than just that.

It's what's under the surface that's important too.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

R.Kelly150
Kenny Green

Unread post by R.Kelly150 »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago Thorr imo has made it clear that Cox is on the hot seat, when he did not extend him after last season.

What it will take to DC to keep his job after this coming season, is a matter of debate.

To me, his bench coaching and late season collapses are the biggest issues. Wins and losses are a huge factor of course, but to me, it's a lot more than just that.

It’s going to take a huge turnaround. Most say the NIT isn’t enough to extend, but I would say if they are squarely on the Bubble and that bubble bursts because another P5 school is “ selected” than I would say improvement was made and a moderate extension is warranted. No huge raise nor Coach for Life contracted is provided, but Cox is given a chance to build upon the success. Thorr could use some of the money saved from not excessively compensating Cox with the continuation of improving the staff and RC experience.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

R.Kelly150 wrote: 2 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago Thorr imo has made it clear that Cox is on the hot seat, when he did not extend him after last season.

It’s going to take a huge turnaround. Most say the NIT isn’t enough to extend, but I would say if they are squarely on the Bubble and that bubble bursts because another P5 school is “ selected” than I would say improvement was made and a moderate extension is warranted. No huge raise nor Coach for Life contracted is provided, but Cox is given a chance to build upon the success. Thorr could use some of the money saved from not excessively compensating Cox with the continuation of improving the staff and RC experience.
I still don't think an NCAAT bid this season will be the criteria for Cox getting a short term extension.
If Thor feels the team has turned the corner and is heading in the right direction, that will probably be enough, at least for now. IMO
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Thorr imo will not wait much longer for URI to contend for an NCAA berth.

Cox's leash has almost reached it's end.

For those of us who have been following this program for a long time, when we have hired coaches, success either follows very soon after those hires, or it doesn't at all.

Several examples: Kraft, Penders, Harrick. Of course, those coaches had a solid base of talent already here to build on. Hurley took time, but that was because there wasn't much here when he was hired.

Cox had a good base to work with when he was hired, and hasn't delivered. Yes, he's only been a HC for 3 years, but has he shown improvement in those 3 years? No, more like regression.

If things were showing steady improvement, I wouldn't be advocating we change coaches. But, that's where we're at.
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Great news about the URI-FGCU game finally happening. I’ll be in the building.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago Thorr imo will not wait much longer for URI to contend for an NCAA berth.

For those of us who have been following this program for a long time, when we have hired coaches, success either follows very soon after those hires, or it doesn't at all.

Several examples: Kraft, Penders, Harrick. Of course, those coaches had a solid base of talent already here to build on
. Hurley took time, but that was because there wasn't much here when he was hired.

Cox had a good base to work with when he was hired, and hasn't delivered. Yes, he's only been a HC for 3 years, but has he shown improvement in those 3 years? No, more like regression.

If things were showing steady improvement, I wouldn't be advocating we change coaches. But, that's where we're at.
I have been following this program for a very long time much like you, and I don't expect Thorr to allow this to be another JB situation.
All three of the coaches you mentioned had extensive prior head coaching experience, unlike Cox.
Also player movement back then was much different than it is now, and they didn't have to deal with a pandemic year.
Just for clarification Kraft went 43/59 his first 4 years and didn't go to the NCAAT until his 5th season.
Let's see how the team performs this season under normal conditions, before we rush to judgement.
Last edited by Jersey77 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago Thorr imo will not wait much longer for URI to contend for an NCAA berth.

Several examples: Kraft, Penders, Harrick. Of course, those coaches had a solid base of talent already here to build on
. Hurley took time, but that was because there wasn't much here when he was hired.

I have been following this program a very long time much like you, and I don't expect Thorr to allow this to be another JB situation.
All three of the coaches you mentioned had prior extensive head coaching experience, unlike Cox.
Also player movement back then was much different than it is now, and they didn't have to deal with a pandemic year.
Just for clarification Kraft went 43/59 his first 4 years and didn't go to the NCAAT until his 5th season.
Let's see how the team performs this season under normal conditions, before we rush to judgement.
Don’t feed into it. These knee jerk, over reactionary, fair weather individuals have no clue. If Cox has a losing season next season, he will likely have one more year, still. He will not be canned considering the circumstances surrounding the past two seasons. Folks can pour, stomp and cry all they want, but Thorr is not itching to drop the anvil.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

What circumstances will be surrounding next season? I can’t see covid having a significant impact, if at all. He won’t (and shouldn’t) get a pass next year, and if he has another below .500 season, he’s gone.

He won’t be a lame duck coach in the last year of
his contract, and there’s no way Thorr extends him after back to back below .500 seasons.
Go Rhody
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

DC_Rams wrote: 2 years ago

I have been following this program a very long time much like you, and I don't expect Thorr to allow this to be another JB situation.
All three of the coaches you mentioned had prior extensive head coaching experience, unlike Cox.
Don’t feed into it. These knee jerk, over reactionary, fair weather individuals have no clue. If Cox has a losing season next season, he will likely have one more year, still. He will not be canned considering the circumstances surrounding the past two seasons. Folks can pour, stomp and cry all they want, but Thorr is not itching to drop the anvil.
Unlikely. There are basically no programs in the country who would be doing that because they would be setting the coach up to fail. How do you recruit with no term left? “Hey I know I’m recruiting you now but I’m not under contract next season so you better hope we win this year otherwise I’ll see you at the next spot?” You don’t think opposition would dirty recruit to that point? That’s why with two years left it’s typically the shit or get off the pit season - long extension due to a great season, shorter-term 2-3 year extension because you still aren’t sold but want to give the guy a chance to be able to sell a full recruiting class he’s not going anywhere, or fire because it’s not there and you want the next guy.
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I expect this team to show significant improvement over last season considering the potential on our roster, even with the loss of Fatts and possibly AB for the year. If the talent isn't there, then the staff and most of the posters here, have a distorted view in terms of judging player's skills and ability.
Based on my optimism, I feel Cox will be given a short term extension after this season and we should compete for an NCAAT bid the following year.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I think last season should result in a much better coaching effort, knowing the consequences if the there's a similar outcome. That plus a newly aligned/healthy roster should be interesting. I too am optimistic.
GO RAMS
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Jersey and DC, I'll need to go back and find it, but I remember last season I asked both of you if Cox needed to land a big next season. No excuses, No mulligans. If I remember correctly you both agreed.

It's NCAA or Bust this year. I hope Cox gets it done!
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago Jersey and DC, I'll need to go back and find it, but I remember last season I asked both of you if Cox needed to land a big next season. No excuses, No mulligans. If I remember correctly you both agreed.

It's NCAA or Bust this year. I hope Cox gets it done!
Don't remember that, but based on the strength of the A10 top tier teams, I think a bid this season would be unlikely.
I also feel that Thor is aware of that and it's doubtful he gave that ultimatum to Cox. Again if he feels that this program is trending in a positive direction, that will probably be good enough for now.
Just how many teams do you think from the A10 will get bids?
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

DC_Rams wrote: 2 years ago

Knee jerk reactions. OK sure, I mean you could go back 3 seasons and pull the same complaints from game threads and apply them to game threads from this year to show that areas of concern have not progressed in 3 years. But yeah, knee jerk. After 3 years or 60% of the contract has expired, yup, definitely an immediate overreaction. Not like people have had 88 games to base a decision over.

Fair weather. Said the guy who showed up with his coach and went to "grad school" here. Yup. This is the group of most fair-weather individuals I've ever seen. Not like anyone here (or the AD) lived through 11 years of mediocrity and has seen a similar trend develop and can recognize something when it's going bad. Not like the group of people are on this board win or lose, good season or bad. Yup. The ones who want to see their team do better are "fair weather" but the guy who blindly roots for the coach and will follow him to whatever school he is at for the next job he takes is the "right" kind of fan. Got it.

For someone so sure of something, Thorr "not looking to drop the anvil" while extending Tammi Reiss and upping her base salary to match Dave Cox's mid-contract, and not providing DC an extension with 2 years to go, is someone who can't read tea leaves or doesn't understand the context. Now, you're obviously a veteran fan who grew up in Keaney gym and been around this program for multiple coaching administrations and a bunch of us are just fair weather fans who don't know anything - but Thorr gave Jim Baron a 1 year extension when he still had 3 years remaining in 2010 that ran to 2014, and then fired him in 2012. Thorr also fired Joe Trainer with 1 year left on his contract in football without extending him.

You probably knew that since you're such a die-hard URI guy through and through though.

Thorr has fired 2 women's basketball coaches, whom he never gave extensions to (Garrick resigned). Thorr fired 1 football coach, who he did not give an extension to. Dan Hurley was given 3 extensions and offered a 4th in his 6 years here. I would say Thorr not offering an extension here says a lot more than you're giving it credit for...but what do I know, I'm just some fair weather guy who showed up here only when things were good.

I'm not sure about the "circumstances" you're referring to, but basketball seasons were still played. The tournament that got cancelled saw URI on the outside of the field playing dreadful basketball with an all-too-familiar swoon at the end of the year. Thorr was here for those Baron swoons even if you weren't. Covid affected URI not even one iota. The schedule actually improved from a toughness standpoint, we just couldn't win any of those games. We had zero practice time affected. There was still an NCAA tournament we were not invited to, that 68 other teams who played through Covid got to play in.

If Thorr is giving a "pass" it's to see if Cox really just sold his soul to keep Fatts, and if Fatts leaving makes the team play a better brand of basketball. But if you think Thorr will support another losing season and will reward that with an extension, you are high.

Maybe I'm totally wrong, I wish I was as big a URI fan as you were so my opinion could count as much.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

As usual, Blue Man hits it out of the park.

I guess I'm just anoiher "fair weather" fan....of 50 years living and dying with this program.

If I didn't care, believe me, I wouldn't be within 100 miles of this board.
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

My definition of fair weather fans are the ones who have been season ticket holders and decide to not renew because the team may suck or may not. If there are financial concerns I get it and I'm with you.. but if you are just not renewing because they may stink then shame on you. I was a diehard PC fan until I walked into keaney gym my freshman year in 1976. I met my wife of 39 years tomorrow as my next door neighbor in 1978 and she fell in love with the rams and college basketball 🏀 too. It took us a long time to start going back to games in person as we got married and raised a family in Cumberland. Once finances and family life calmed down we bought a few games a year. We finally got season tickets a few years ago and can't wait to get back and watch the kids play. I miss my cranky cohort in 211 who I get to piss and moan with game in and game out. If I don't buy season tickets I save $$ but I miss my friends in my section and truly am not totally supporting the program.. guys I'm 62: years old. I will always bleed keaney blue . I am a really poor loser but I will support the team. Til the day I can't.. let's go. 🐏🐏🏀🏀🍻🍻.. sorry for the rant.. pre anniversary 🍻🍻
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Due to the fact that I am unhappy with the current coaching situation, I guess my opinion, to some, doesn't count.

Or is wrong. Sorry, I've been unhappy before with several Rhody coaches, and believe it or not I've been very happy with others.

Also, nothing is perfect even when things seem great, and not everything sucks when things look bleak.

It's called being a fan, no matter what.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

You want to see fair-weather fans? Look no further than the mental hospital, where the Fryah Faih-weathah Faithful even ran the sainted Joe Mullaney out of town.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

They run him out of town and then name a court after him. Pitiful behavior.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Since we are yet again devolving down this road...let me be 100% clear:

NO ONE is rooting against a coach or player that wears the Keaney Blue. No one wants to be “right” about their critiques of the team, a player, or a coach.

Every single person who has ever bitched on this board for or groaned in the Ryan center wants this team to win. No one would rather be right about this team sucking than be wrong and have the team win.

No one hates Dave Cox, no one wants to see Dave Cox fail, no one wants to see Dave Cox fired - because all of those things mean the team is losing. Everyone who bitches here bitches because they care. Anyone saying anything negative would LOVE to be proven wrong.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by daytonflyerfan »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago Since we are yet again devolving down this road...let me be 100% clear:

NO ONE is rooting against a coach or player that wears the Keaney Blue. No one wants to be “right” about their critiques of the team, a player, or a coach.

Every single person who has ever bitched on this board for or groaned in the Ryan center wants this team to win. No one would rather be right about this team sucking than be wrong and have the team win.

No one hates Dave Cox, no one wants to see Dave Cox fail, no one wants to see Dave Cox fired - because all of those things mean the team is losing. Everyone who bitches here bitches because they care. Anyone saying anything negative would LOVE to be proven wrong.
Agree...too many people on these fan boards assume that if one bitches and moans, that one is rooting for failure, so that one can be proven correct...no, one bitches and moans because one is unhappy and thinks things are on the wrong track.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago Since we are yet again devolving down this road...let me be 100% clear:

Blue Man, I understand your sentiments, but there are several posters who definitely want Cox gone ASAP.
They are extremely adamant about it and express it in almost every thread, even when I questioned them on it.
They feel there is absolutely no hope for this program as long as he is here and their mind is made up, so that is why I asked the question.
As I said, I am also uncertain at this point but at least I am willing to give this staff more of a chance before making these calls.
Last edited by Jersey77 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago As usual, Blue Man hits it out of the park.

I guess I'm just anoiher "fair weather" fan....of 50 years living and dying with this program.

If I didn't care, believe me, I wouldn't be within 100 miles of this board.
It's the 'pink hat' crew! :lol:
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

This sounds like me from a couple years ago

I think I also threw in a “CUT BAIT” or 2 or 3...
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 years ago

Wait...what...? You? No, I doubt it.
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

The crux of this issue is defining success and defining failure. If URI goes goes 22-10 and goes to the NIT, is that success or failure? Would Cox deserve another year?

The old argument of "it depends on who URI loses to and when" is bogus. If URI loses to all the teams above them in the standings, then people will gripe that URI beat nobody good. If they have 2-3 "bad" losses to teams way down in the standings (which is what commonly happens), people will gripe (because if URI had only beaten so-and-so, then they would be in the NCAA). If they win early in season and then blow it late (which we've seen before), we will gripe about that. If they start slowly (lose to Brown, Fordham, Florida Gulf Coast) but win 5 of their last 6 and still miss the NCAA, then we will gripe about that. This is what people do.

And I know before the season, there will be a thread on here predicting URI's record. And regardless of the prediction, people will come on here pissing and moaning about every single loss...whether it's by 1 point or 10 points, regardless of the opponent.

The thread should instead be folks posting the teams that URI is allowed to lose to...and a rule that you can't complain when URI loses said game.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago

The crux of this issue is defining success and defining failure. If URI goes goes 22-10 and goes to the NIT, is that success or failure? Would Cox deserve another year?

The old argument of "it depends on who URI loses to and when" is bogus. If URI loses to all the teams above them in the standings, then people will gripe that URI beat nobody good. If they have 2-3 "bad" losses to teams way down in the standings (which is what commonly happens), people will gripe (because if URI had only beaten so-and-so, then they would be in the NCAA). If they win early in season and then blow it late (which we've seen before), we will gripe about that. If they start slowly (lose to Brown, Fordham, Florida Gulf Coast) but win 5 of their last 6 and still miss the NCAA, then we will gripe about that. This is what people do.

And I know before the season, there will be a thread on here predicting URI's record. And regardless of the prediction, people will come on here pissing and moaning about every single loss...whether it's by 1 point or 10 points, regardless of the opponent.

The thread should instead be folks posting the teams that URI is allowed to lose to...and a rule that you can't complain when URI loses said game.
Yeah the crux of the issue is about defining success. NIT is failure. Would be softened by untimely injuries, but Its simple.

This is his fourth year taking over a program coming off two NCAA wins and two A-10 titles. He brought in the best recruting class in the A-10 his first year. Kinda squandered that, but Cox has brought in a slew of talented guys after that.

Our frontcourt is loaded. You really can't ask for more talent in the frontcourt in the A-10. You have proven guards like Shep and Ish, a glue guy in Malik Martin.

Then you have some recruits and a grad transfer.
You bring those guys in to push us over the top.

It's time to get it done.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We have some talent, yes.

How much really, is a question.

It's up to Cox to get the most out of this talent.

Remember for us old folks, Brenden Malone recruited talent here, and did nothing with it.

Penders replaced him, and we had two awesome years with Malone's players.

Cox has to do a Penders.....and that's a VERY tall order...and you all know what I think about it.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

So who are we playing against this upcoming season?
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Ramulous wrote: 2 years ago So who are we playing against this upcoming season?
Doom and Gloom?
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Blue Man, I understand your sentiments, but there are several posters who definitely want Cox gone ASAP.
They are extremely adamant about it and express it in almost every thread, even when I questioned them on it.
They feel there is absolutely no hope for this program as long as he is here and their mind is made up, so that is why I asked the question.
As I said, I am also uncertain at this point but at least I am willing to give this staff more of a chance before making these calls.
So? I want Cox gone ASAP because I feel there is no hope for this program as long as he is here. Like Blue Man said, that doesn't mean I'm cheering for that happen so I can be right. In his second year here I was keeping track of bubble teams until our end of year swoon took us completely out of contention for a bid while other posters were saying our only shot to make the tournament was to get the autobid. I'm hoping I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure I'm not
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago

Success is making the NCAA tournament, failure is missing it. I don't care their record, I don't care who they beat, I don't care who they lose to, just get a bid. Four years of not making the tournament is enough to show Cox isn't the guy
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

The top post is current
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The top post is current
RR2,
Thanks for keeping the top post updated

I count 27 games you have listed which includes the 3 games in Daytona.

Is 31 games the max possible knowing we are playing the MTE in Daytona in November? So 4 more games to schedule?

Also possible Boston College game would be moved to 2022 since we could play BC in Daytona - solid we would play BC twice. That would leave 5 more to schedule. Right?
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
The top post is current
RR2,
Thanks for keeping the top post updated

I count 27 games you have listed which includes the 3 games in Daytona.

Is 31 games the max possible knowing we are playing the MTE in Daytona in November? So 4 more games to schedule?

Also possible Boston College game would be moved to 2022 since we could play BC in Daytona - solid we would play BC twice. That would leave 5 more to schedule. Right?
Other people would know the scheduling rules better than me. John Rothstein had a tweet that we would be starting the series with BC this year, but that was before we were set to be in the same tournament as them and there has been no other information about where that leaves our series with them that I've seen. My understanding is there will be only 2 games in Daytona however
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

The other alternative could be fixed matchups, similar to when URI played North Texas and LSU at the Jamaica Classic.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 2 years ago The other alternative could be fixed matchups, similar to when URI played North Texas and LSU at the Jamaica Classic.
This tournament will no doubt have set matchups.
Any tournament that lasts two days will do that.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Doesn't seem we are seeing 1 Top 25 team OOC. This schedule is abysmal.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago Doesn't seem we are seeing 1 Top 25 team OOC. This schedule is abysmal.
Did you really expect an OOC schedule like the last 4/5 years?

Good teams won’t want to play us as we would be a “bad loss” if we were to win, Cox needs Ws, and the better MTE tournament s aren’t going to want us seeing how last season went.

I’m not saying the schedule is good (it’s not), but I also fully expected a schedule like this.
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
theblueram wrote: 2 years ago Doesn't seem we are seeing 1 Top 25 team OOC. This schedule is abysmal.
Did you really expect an OOC schedule like the last 4/5 years?

Good teams won’t want to play us as we would be a “bad loss” if we were to win, Cox needs Ws, and the better MTE tournament s aren’t going to want us seeing how last season went.

I’m not saying the schedule is good (it’s not), but I also fully expected a schedule like this.
In less words, you agree?