Canisius/Baron Poll

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.

If Canisius Makes the NCAA's will you be...

Happy for Baron
30%
Neutral
47%
Furious
23%

Total votes: 70

scine20
ARD

Re: Canisius/Baron Poll

Unread post by scine20 »

The one thing that I think could hurt the facilities a tad is the POS football stadium that any basketball recruit is forced to see. While the football program is an embarrassment and should have no impact on the basketball program, looking at that stadium can't give a recruit a great view of the school overall.

At least at competing places like Xavier, GW and St. Louis, you don't have to worry about the recruit seeing a high school stadium posing as a division 1-aa college football stadium because those schools don't have football.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

BFC wrote:
Gonebarongone wrote:I agree with this but I think facilities are probably 5th or 6th on the list of things recruits care about, if it is even that high. My guess is something like this:

1. Coach/Staff
2. Exposure
3. Competition
4. Academics
5. Facilities

It's like the arm strength of an NFL QB. You don't have to have the strongest arm in the league but it has to be good enough to make the deep out. In that sense, the Ryan Center is good enough where it doesn't preclude elite recruits from crossing Rhody off the list. From there, it is up to the staff.
Number 1 would disagree with your ranking of number 5.
God, I hope not. I hope he is selling the staff, the exposure he can get them, the competition of the A10, and the URI degree more than a stinking facility. That's selling the sizzle over the steak and something that doesn't strike me as a particularly Hurley thing to do. You would think he would measure the distance between the floor and the hoop the way the coach did in Hoosiers.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Again, Hurley and company are concerned with at least maintaining an equal footing with
regards to the facilities and infrastructure at URI.
Why do you think the first order of business were the locker rooms and the player's media area?
More to come, soon.
Nobody wants to play in a dump, with substandard facilities, no matter who the coach is.
This isn't the 1950s in Indiana.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Gonebarongone wrote:
BFC wrote:God, I hope not. I hope he is selling the staff, the exposure he can get them, the competition of the A10, and the URI degree more than a stinking facility. That's selling the sizzle over the steak and something that doesn't strike me as a particularly Hurley thing to do. You would think he would measure the distance between the floor and the hoop the way the coach did in Hoosiers.
Yes, because 17 year olds in 2013 think and act the same as they did in 1950. After we can bring them over to Mackal, put them in tiny shorts and have them toss around one of those heavy leather balls too right before they sign their letter of intent with a feather dipped in ink.
Ramtastico
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Ramtastico »

Have you ever been around an athlete being recruited for D1 BBall? Here is my list:
1. Coach/Assistants
2. School visit
3. Females available at school visit
4. Uniform numbers available
5. Uniform colors
6. TV package
7. Locker room amenities
8. Facility
9. Fun majors available
10. per diem
Rambone65
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Rambone65 »

Ramtastico wrote:Have you ever been around an athlete being recruited for D1 BBall? Here is my list:
1. Coach/Assistants
2. School visit
5. Uniform colors
6. TV package
7. Locker room amenities
8. Facility
9. Fun majors available
10. per diem
Good one Ramtastico! I think you are closer to the truth than many may think!!!
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Inspired by this thread, I wrote up a little piece on the culture change that's taking place under Hurley:

http://rhodyrampage.com/2013/02/22/rhod ... -changing/
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I think the RC is a neutral to a positive for recruits, depending on which other schools are recruiting them. But one thing for sure - is it's a heck of a lot better than Keaney. If we were still playing there we, would be in big trouble.
Rambone65
Marc Upshaw

No question Ryan Center helps in competing against peer schools -- ie, not top tier mid-majors like Xavier or Dayton - but the LaSalle's, Richmonds and George Washington's of the world. It's a definite advantage there.
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

Next year, with an improved team and bigger crowds; the RC will be a major positive.
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
Rambone65
Marc Upshaw

seanmc94 wrote:Next year, with an improved team and bigger crowds; the RC will be a major positive.
No question. Winning breeds success. And w
inning the Hurley way (grit, effort, desire)
will make it more lasting, deeper and intense than anything we've had in recent times.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I'm surprised that the URI degree was mentioned as a positive. Sure it is better than many small D1 basketball schools. But, what other A10 schools have LOWER entry requirements than URI? Let's say we measure this in terms of average SAT scores for incoming freshman. My gut tells me that we are near or at the bottom. (Maybe we are higher than VCU, but most privates will be higher.) Fortunately, most qualified NCAA athletes can get a degree at URI and that is a positive. That is not to say that URI doesn't have some strong programs in terms of student majors.
NCAAs or Bust!
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Eh, about the academics... College is college at this point, frankly. If you're not going to an Ivy League, I don't really think it matters so much if you're getting an athletic scholarship. Employers LOVE to hire people who played four years of a Division I, II or III sport, at least from casual observation; that alone is probably a big step up when segueing from the college life to the "real world." So, it's hard for me to take issue if a recruit considers everything except academics when picking a school, since most universities do offer similar programs to one another now. (Yeah, if you want a pharmacy degree, or a journalism undergrad degree, your option in RI is limited to URI, but all the major schools have a business program, communications, etc.)
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

My-My; this thread has changed......where would, if anywhere, the campus atmoshpere, student life, socialization etc. fit into the list of what potential recruits are looking for?? If no where, is it because the D-1 athelete is so inusulated from the mainstream campus life with their strict schedule of classes, practice, study sessions, weightroom etc?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Ramtastico wrote:Have you ever been around an athlete being recruited for D1 BBall? Here is my list:
1. Coach/Assistants
2. School visit
5. Uniform colors
6. TV package
7. Locker room amenities
8. Facility
9. Fun majors available
10. per diem
All good points, I would add:
Whether a girlfriend is involved at the time of selection
Where do the parents want the kid to go - especially the mother
Campus beauty
City size: Big inner city, medium or small
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Niagara originally picked for 5th place in the MAAC has been consistently in 1st place, challenged by Loyola, Rider and St Peter's remain at home
Canisius originally picked for 9th place is tied for 3rd, Rider and St Peters remain at home
Loyola - Iona(A) and Manhattan (H) remain
Manhattan - Loyola (A) and Fairfield (H) remain

Looks for an interesting post season conference tournament for the NCAA invite - anybody could win it

2012-2013 MAAC Preseason Coaches' Poll
1. Loyola (7) 97-------2. 11-4 - Still challenging for 1st place
2. Manhattan (2) 89------7. 8-8 - Not a good season originally picked to finish 2nd and now in 7th
3. Iona (1) 70------6. 9-7 - Good season
4. Fairfield 60------5. 9-7
5. Niagara 58 -----1. 12-4 - Originally picked for 5th have been in 1st all year - Potential Coach of Year if they don't stumble
6. Siena 55------9. 4-12
7. Rider 39------4. 10-6 - Good season
8. Marist 37------8. 4-12
9. Canisius 27------3. 10-6 Picked 9th now in 3rd. Could Baron steal a Coach of Year Award????
10. Saint Peter's 18------10. 3-13
Rambone65
Marc Upshaw

ramster wrote:Niagara originally picked for 5th place in the MAAC has been consistently in 1st place, challenged by Loyola, Rider and St Peter's remain at home
Canisius originally picked for 9th place is tied for 3rd, Rider and St Peters remain at home
Loyola - Iona(A) and Manhattan (H) remain
Manhattan - Loyola (A) and Fairfield (H) remain

Looks for an interesting post season conference tournament for the NCAA invite - anybody could win it

2012-2013 MAAC Preseason Coaches' Poll
1. Loyola (7) 97-------2. 11-4 - Still challenging for 1st place
2. Manhattan (2) 89------7. 8-8 - Not a good season originally picked to finish 2nd and now in 7th
3. Iona (1) 70------6. 9-7 - Good season
4. Fairfield 60------5. 9-7
5. Niagara 58 -----1. 12-4 - Originally picked for 5th have been in 1st all year - Potential Coach of Year if they don't stumble
6. Siena 55------9. 4-12
7. Rider 39------4. 10-6 - Good season
8. Marist 37------8. 4-12
9. Canisius 27------3. 10-6 Picked 9th now in 3rd. Could Baron steal a Coach of Year Award????
10. Saint Peter's 18------10. 3-13
Joe Mihalich's teams are always so well prepared. One of those coaches who could have gone elsewhere but has no interest in leaving Niagara.
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

I think coaching and coaching staff are very high up for recruits. Facilities are up there, too, though recruits expect nice facilities. They're not awed by them. The RC is great but not alone going to make a difference.
Very high up are two things ... TV exposure (ESPN) and the number of players who have gone to the NBA. Most of these kids think they are going to the NBA, even though that is a hard task. The Hurleys have a pedigree, which will help, even though URI itself has had modest success in getting players to the NBA ... except for Lamar, who was killing time at URI with Jerry until he turned pro.
Academics? Important to some kids and their parents, probably the more realistic ones. Most of these kids have been weaned on the AAU culture and have been told they are gods. They see college as a minor league en route to the pros.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Rosie, ever hear about Cuttino Mobley?
Hurley also has NBA players from his St. Benedict's days.
Staff isn't going after one and done phenoms, so the whole picture
becomes more important to the kids they're recruiting.
I don't think finding girls and parties at URI is a big problem for anyone, let alone
athletes.
Uniform colors? That's a new one on me. Numbers available is also bogus.
I'm sure Cal has such a problem selling blue and a slew of retired numbers.
The TV thing is important, though. They all want to be on TV.
Beyond the adulation from AAU at an early age, are the bad habits picked up in AAU.
Almost no passes or defense. It's not like when there were only high school coaches, preaching fundamentals.
So many other influences. A lot of the high rated kids have hangers on,
whispering how great they are, hoping somehow to hook onto the gravy train of an NBA future.
Look at the greed surounding Lamar when he was here. All looking for the big score.
Rambone65
Marc Upshaw

Ramtstico, your point about uniforms is far from bogus. Here's a good story fom Sports Illustrated about how big time college football programs are increasingly using uniforms as a recruiting tool....calling it a craze. Increasingly that "craze" is creeping onto the hard courts as well. Makes perfect sense too....you're locked in a battle for a recruit, any edge you can get counts.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/w ... index.html
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Yeah, "Coach Williams, I want to wear number 23, or I'm not going to UNC".
That'll fly.
"Coach K, you have too many numbers retired. I'm not going to Duke!"
"Caoch Cal, you also have too many numbers retired. Sorry, Wildcats are out!"
"Coach Matta, I don't like gray. I'm going to Northwesten, because I like purple!"
Lamar wanted number 3 when he came here. That sure as hell wasn't happening.
You can only sell you soul so far for these spoiled kids.
An article about football uniforms to make a point about basketball uniforms?
Oh.
Rambone65
Marc Upshaw

Ramtastico, you made a great point about unis. Here's one from ESPN specific to basketball. Plenty more out there in googleland too!

http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/fandom ... ps-preview
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Oh, yes, that's true. Many schools have multiple uniforms it seems.
When Harrick tried it here, some people disliked his navy blue alternative ones.
I thought they looked sharp.
I don't get the mono-chromatic ones where you can't read the numbers.
Somehow, a lot of schools have black unis, when there is no black in their school's colors.
It's also good for marketing, because fans want to buy the new versions of uniforms.
I'll have to find out if we have plans for some kind of alternative unis.
While I'm at it, I'll try to find out about the new floor design.
Rambone65
Marc Upshaw

We agree on something Rod. I liked the Harrick Blue. If you talk to anyone in the AD's world about the floor, suggest they do a crowd-sourcing contest via octal media, etc. good way to engage multiple audiences.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

They are trying to use social media to a greater degree than ever before.
Hopefully, they'll find different ways to reach more people as time goes on.
Listen, I was just busting you. Peace.
Rambone65
Marc Upshaw

And peace to you, Rod.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Maybe some throw back uniforms sometime in the future......there's some beauties in that Woodward book.......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Bring back the navy blue unis.
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

Going back a ways; Travis best ruled PC out because they don't wear the shiny, silky unis that were all the rage.
Warning: area protected by guard donkey