Week #5 - Games of Interest

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: Week #5 - Games of Interest

Unread post by bigappleram »

the kid Washpun, he was fearless....and a lefty, with similar slashing game to EC. could bode well for our star, one thing you know we wont be seeing zone against VCU. NIU also went with 2 pg's on court at same time for long stretches, to deal with Havoc. No game more impt than VCU to get solid PG play and leadership from that position, they can be beaten for sure.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

There was an article I recently read about VCU's troubles with guarding the 3 point shot- basically, they're giving up a lot of attempts and teams that shoot more 3's make more 3's. That won't necessarily help Rhode Island. VCU has had a rough OOC schedule, and that UNI win is a good one for them. Right now, their freshmen look like freshmen, but they should get better.
PARam
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by PARam »

Did anyone notice that VCU has a FT average at about 50% for the year
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

50%? I'll bet they find the range against us, everyone does when it matters.

We might have a shot against them, if we get continuing development from Terrell and Jarvis, which we should.

Guard play will be paramount against them of course. Limit the TO's, and it could be a win.

That, and someone go wake up Gil.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Wrapping up Saturday action, the A-10 went 7-3 for the day. Besides the URI blitzkrieg over Delaware State, the results were:

With a fast start, La Salle beats Drexel, 65-55.

No contest in the Dayton – Arkansas game as the Razorbacks lead from the tipoff to easily win, 69-55.

In a bruising game of fouls, 27 turnovers and low shooting, St. Bonaventure gave Pittsburgh all it could handle before falling 58-54.

UMass trashed Jim Baron and his Canisius team, 75-58.

Duquesne loses at Robert Morris, 75-59.

Richmond, in a tougher game than expected, beats Howard. 54-41.

Unbeaten Northern Iowa loses its first falling at VCU, 93-87 in 2OT.

In another great shooting display – 54%FG, 10-24 three pointers, but crappy FT’s 12-20, Davidson easily handles Niagara, 78-58.

Saint Louis edges SIU-Edwardsville, 67-61.

In games involving URI OOC opponents:

Detroit, despite holding a 10 point lead early in second half, could not stop #11 Wichita State and lost on their home court, 77-68.

#10 Kansas blows a 21 point and then holds on via putting in six straight clutch FT’s in final 40 seconds of game to beat #13 Utah. Kansas coach, Bill Self, admits that he rarely wastes time in practie working on free throws and leaves it for the players to do that on their own.

D2Spring Hill falls to Southern Miss in a closely contested game, 66-56.

As reported earlier, Nebraska beats Cincinnati in 2OT, 56-55. The game was a rock fight from beginning to end. Cincy committed a foolish foul on a missed FT near end of first OT to allow Nebraska to tie game on two FT’s with less than 10 seconds left. Cincy was done in by their awful FT shooting 12-24, while the Cornhuskers were 20-23 at the charity strip.

Santa Clara beats Washington State, 76-67.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Our players need to spend more time on FT's. On their own.

Maybe they do practice them on their own. Do it more.

OK, enough for now.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Concluding Week #5 this Sunday.

Only two A-10 games:

Already in progress and at halftime Penn State leads George Washington, 34-28 in a game being played at State College, PA.

Fordham versus St. John's in the Holiday Festival at MSG. 2 PM. On Fox Sports 1.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Not a great day for the A-10 with two losses.

George Washington lost at Penn State, 64-51. This was somewhat surprising give that Duquesne gave the Nittany Lions a battle before losing by two. GW had a horrible shooting game - FG 34%, 0 for 8 on threes and 15-23 FT's. GW had 11 of their shots blocked and given the Colonials short bench, it was apparent that the team tired badly down the stretch.

Fordham lost in a rout to St. John's, 74-53, committing 20 turnovers and shooting poorly.

In another game of interest, Butler, clearly overrated at #15 lost to an only so-so Tennessee squad, 67-55. Apart from a win over UNC, Butler has build its record by beating up low level teams like Maine, Chattanooga, Loyola, Kennesaw St. on their Hinkle home court.
Captainron@
Kenny Green

Unread post by Captainron@ »

Obadiah wrote:Not a great day for the A-10 with two losses.

In another game of interest, Butler, clearly overrated at #15 lost to an only so-so Tennessee squad, 67-55. Apart from a win over UNC, Butler has build its record by beating up low level teams like Maine, Chattanooga, Loyola, Kennesaw St. on their Hinkle home court.

I'm not a Butler fan, but...

Wed, Nov 26
@
North Carolina
W 74 - 66
Final
Thu, Nov 27
@
Oklahoma
L 46 - 59
Final
Fri, Nov 28
@
Georgetown
W 64 - 58
Final
Wed, Dec 3
@
Indiana St.
W 77 - 54
Final
Sat, Dec 6
vs
Northwestern
W 56 - 65
Final
Mon, Dec 8
vs
Kennesaw State
W 51 - 93
Final
Today
@
Tennessee
L
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

If you have to refer to what I'm saying, do so in a manner that doesn't distort or show you have a selected reading ability. Distorting by conveniently eliminating the first three games of the Butler schedule which includes three of the weak sisters teams I mentioned is not an admirable trait. As I said Butler, built their 8-2 record by feasting on some weak teams on their home court. Is that not accurate??? I didn't say their entire record was that. I referenced UNC as the best team they beat, excuse me if I didn't mention Georgetown or Northwestern or Indiana State, but then maybe you have a finer grasp of things and think that those teams are powerhouses. It seems if the majority of your wins come against weak teams, you may not be tested and, yes, maybe overrated.
Captainron@
Kenny Green

Unread post by Captainron@ »

Obi, you hate the Big East. I get that, but when you use selective stats to make your point, you really can't get your panties in a bunch when someone adds more information.
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

Gtown is a solid team. Close losses to Wiscy and Kansas. Show me teams that have played a tougher Schedule than Butler; it will be a short list
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Really disappointing for GW they looked really good Thursday against DePaul. C'mon A-10! I mean I though GW would get that. All penn states been able to do was beat bad teams by like two points and then GW lays an egg and then it's like, well how the hell could George Washington lay an egg?
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I'm beginning to wonder with some of these games, it isn't who plays well who wins, it's who plays not as bad as the other.

The suck factor is in play big time this year.

Yes Sean, that includes your team too.

PC isn't Dancing this year. Sorry to ruin your day.

We most likely aren't either, if that makes you feel better.
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

Butler can schedule softvteams because that's what national programs do. If we had Butler's track record, we would too.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Sorry, my main point is not so much that Butler has a soft schedule, but that they are overrated. If that gets under skin enough for you to accuse me of not doing my homework, fine. But your posting only a portion of Butler's schedule and leaving off three cupcakes that support my argument is disingenuous at best. Again that's my opinion and I'm sticking with it.
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Obi 101= throw out an outlandish claim littered with half truths; and then turtle behind flowery language and "it's my opinion" when confronted with facts and data.
Justns11
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Justns11 »

Sean 101 : Only posts on this board if it involves PC. Then runs and tells everyone on the scout.com board all about it.
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Swing and a miss, chief. This thread has ZERO to do with PC.

Good try though.
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

What they say about you IS true.
Justns11
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Justns11 »

You're right Sean. I should've said PC or their conference.