Hurley

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: Hurley

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

BAR is on a ROLL today! Well done, Sir.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

bigappleram wrote:Great fan base, where you have people wanting to jump ship after 2 years. Can you see why its so hard to build a consistent winner here? The fan base for the most part, sucks. Come late, leave early, sit on their hands, and pull their support if they we dont put Matt Butler in for more time so they can see what he can do. It's a joke reading some of the commentary here.

If you aren't excited about watching 2 potential NBA prospects grow up in front of your eyes then I cant help you. We haven't had that, maybe ever...Cat and Tyson did not look to have the ceiling that EC and Hassan have at this point in their careers. Now our staff needs to find more talent to surround them with, but I supported DH for the job and believe he will do just that. And I am not jumping ship because we lost to Duquesne or because we are under-performing in Year 2, or because I am not sure where the PG solution will come from. I believe being a fan is a "through thick and thin" relationship, for me anyways and obviously others too. The self-important "oh i am not buying my tickets next year" is such a load of crap, if you ebb and flow that easy no one at URI cares about your support anyhow. You cannot build a program around people like that. You are the customer they care the least about pleasing. I believe they have a word for that.
Just quoting to bump this onto the next page so nobody misses it.

I will gladly co-sign all of this.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

bigappleram wrote:Great fan base, where you have people wanting to jump ship after 2 years. Can you see why its so hard to build a consistent winner here? The fan base for the most part, sucks. Come late, leave early, sit on their hands, and pull their support if they we dont put Matt Butler in for more time so they can see what he can do. It's a joke reading some of the commentary here.

If you aren't excited about watching 2 potential NBA prospects grow up in front of your eyes then I cant help you. We haven't had that, maybe ever...Cat and Tyson did not look to have the ceiling that EC and Hassan have at this point in their careers. Now our staff needs to find more talent to surround them with, but I supported DH for the job and believe he will do just that. And I am not jumping ship because we lost to Duquesne or because we are under-performing in Year 2, or because I am not sure where the PG solution will come from. I believe being a fan is a "through thick and thin" relationship, for me anyways and obviously others too. The self-important "oh i am not buying my tickets next year" is such a load of crap, if you ebb and flow that easy no one at URI cares about your support anyhow. You cannot build a program around people like that. You are the customer they care the least about pleasing. I believe they have a word for that.
Nothing wrong with being this type of fan. Most fans are like this. But, maybe a message board discussing the progress of a team that has won 26 games in three years is not the place for you. Are you really expecting puppy dogs and rainbows with what has transpired? Again, nothing wrong with being all in on a guy and enjoying the ride. But, I frankly find it amazing that folks are up in arms over staff criticism.
Rhody Blue
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Rhody Blue »

Thank you BAR! You nailed my sentiments exactly !
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I love this idea that message boards only exist so people can bitch and complain about everything. You know who thinks that? People who LOVE to bitch and complain about everything.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

TruePoint wrote:

Just quoting to bump this onto the next page so nobody misses it.

I will gladly co-sign all of this.
This is such a great post, and kind of what I've been feeling this whole season. So many people are so quick to jump and say "oh I am not buying tickets next year". Great. There are people out there who actually do care and will continue to go to games. Complaining is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but won't get you anywhere.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Gonebarongone wrote:

Nothing wrong with being this type of fan. Most fans are like this. But, maybe a message board discussing the progress of a team that has won 26 games in three years is not the place for you. Are you really expecting puppy dogs and rainbows with what has transpired? Again, nothing wrong with being all in on a guy and enjoying the ride. But, I frankly find it amazing that folks are up in arms over staff criticism.
Again here we go with always having to be one of the two extremes. You can be the type of fan that BAR is talking about and still not be happy with how things have gone this season.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

I'm not telling anyone not to be positive. Just don't be shocked when there are critical comments. I think 90+% of the critical comments lead to decent discourse on how to fix things. I have no problem with BAR's attitude. Have at it. Be positive. Just don't go all high and mighty on a message board.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Gonebarongone wrote: Just don't go all high and mighty on a message board.
The irony of this quote coming from you is potentially the best laugh I have had in years.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Maybe a message board for a program you don't support isn't a place for you....that is some kind of weird pal.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

My purpose for posting on this board is to impart my genius on all of you and most of all so that the administration can figure out from my comments how to win a national title.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

bigappleram wrote:Maybe a message board for a program you don't support isn't a place for you....that is some kind of weird pal.
Clever.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Gonebarongone wrote:I'm not telling anyone not to be positive. Just don't be shocked when there are critical comments. I think 90+% of the critical comments lead to decent discourse on how to fix things. I have no problem with BAR's attitude. Have at it. Be positive. Just don't go all high and mighty on a message board.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Gonebarongone wrote:
bigappleram wrote:Maybe a message board for a program you don't support isn't a place for you....that is some kind of weird pal.
Clever.
you actually never debate or try to disabuse of us the notion that you really are not a fan of the program. I get trying to not sound defensive, but what are your ties to the team? school? state? anything? And if you really are a fan, your posting patterns are very strange to say the least, not just what you post, but when you post...Look just tell us your actual motives and you'll probably be better received.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

BAR, great post. Agree with almost all of what you've said, especially about E.C. and Hassan. It's truly the only reason I care to attend games for the rest of this year. Stars and NBA written all over them at the end of 4 years here. However, your point about the fan base, has to be taken with a grain of salt. While most of the people here are alums/fans, a big part of your fan base is also the student body. Not sure if you went to Rhody or not, but I was there from 05-10 (yes, the 5 year plan). Now, I would say a high percentage of students know the game, but truly only go to games because their friends are, or it's the "cool thing to do". Also, rivalries and on the rare chance, we get a ranked or highly touted team in the Ryan Center. A small percentage are diehards. However, this is a good chunk of the attendance at games. I personally attended the game that set the record for most students at a game (Pink-out vs. Richmond in 2010). WINNING will get students in the building. The majority don't have the same understanding of the rebuilding process that we do. In my opinion, this is half the reason the fanbase sucks. It's a church in there at times. People only cheer when they throw t-shirts. I couldn't agree more about the fanbase, but winning games has A LOT to do with getting the student body involved (along with casual fans) 100 percent.

It's why I had to fight through lines during the Baron/Daniels years to get to PC, Xavier, Umass games. You won't get a packed Ryan Center until the L's turn into W's, as sad as it is. Just being a realist. People look on the surface, at wins and losses, not "potential" NBA players.

Otherwise, your post was perfect. Although we've been in the "thick" for about 15 years. I sure hope that changes soon for us.
SlyWilliamsCaddy
Michael Andersen

Unread post by SlyWilliamsCaddy »

ATP, messages like that on the board? do you even read half the stuff that rod posts in regards to anybody that disagrees with him?

What a joke. nice to know that the mods on this page are in the back pocket of the almighty and powerful rod.

You want me to private message rod? you need to private message me to say that? what is he my girlfriend?

The whole point of forums like this is so people can discuss their thoughts, their problems, etc.

Rod continually harasses and attacks everybody on here. Theres a reason that hes been banned time and time again from multiple other forums throughout the web. The guy thinks hes the dictator of anything in relation to uri. Don't agree with him? then feel the wrath.

You guys are supposed to be bi-partisan. Instead you cow-tail to whatever the Keaneyblue king dictates. Are you two afraid of him because it certainly seems that way.

Just because hes retired and has no life and comments on the page every 5 mins everyday doesn't mean that you should give him carte-blanche to do and say whatever the hell he wants; while everyone else is held to a different standard.

Im not personally attacking him, as I said, I believe that hes got the greatest knowledge in regards to uri bball of any of the posters here. Lets just keep it to that knowledge and how about instead of deleting my posts why don't you allow for a real conversation because I guarantee more than half of the people on here have had enough of his shit too.

Instead it seems that the mods live in fear of the Cranston curmudgeon. Guess what guys? I know multiple people who contribute monetarily to this program who would love to get involved with the forum, to expand the participation of the forum, but every single one of them says the same thing.... "yea I follow keaneyblue but every time I want to get on there and start posting, I just get so annoyed with reading the bs that old guy from Cranston posts that I cant even handle it".

Keep giving in to the almighty and this forum will continue to lose more and more and more followers. Keep making special rules for self-appointed king of keaneyblue and never mind adding members, youre gonna start losing them. Step you're weight up. Cut the bs. That's what you're job is as the mods. to keep everything equal. not to allow the most frequent (and most annoying) to control you.

This is keaneyblue.com not Rodfromcranstons.Keaneyblue.com.

Put it this way; ill wake up tmrw and check the page and most likely this post will be deleted and then I will know exactly how much control he has. Every single beef that happens on here can be traced back to one guy. and its not GBG.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I can't speak for anyone else but I wish that calling other posters out by name would happen less. That goes for everyone, not just any one particular person. (Not naming any names hahaha)

Debating the point without making ad homonym attacks on each other would be a lot more productive if what you are actually looking to do is have a discussion.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

I started the actual nutty over the top fanaticism I have for this team in the Penders years, so I may not be the best historian on the board, but who, since then especially, has had as great a freshman year as E.C.? I feel like we are really lucky to be able to see both Martin and Mathews develop.
Go Rhody!!!
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

I think you meant non-partisan, just sayin
Go Rhody!!!
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Running Ram wrote:I started the actual nutty over the top fanaticism I have for this team in the Penders years, so I may not be the best historian on the board, but who, since then especially, has had as great a freshman year as E.C.? I feel like we are really lucky to be able to see both Martin and Mathews develop.
Lamar was newcomer of the week 9 times. He was a redshirt freshman, so that's a little different.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Yet another post with nothing but a personal attack on me, having nothing to do with the content of the thread.
Sly is a pissant, who knows zero about me, but thinks he does.
He did the same thing awhile ago to Bressler. Likes to call people "old".
I'm really easy to find at games. Enough people do.
Say it to my face.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

SlyWilliamsCaddy wrote:ATP, messages like that on the board? do you even read half the stuff that rod posts in regards to anybody that disagrees with him?

This is keaneyblue.com not Rodfromcranstons.Keaneyblue.com.

Put it this way; ill wake up tmrw and check the page and most likely this post will be deleted and then I will know exactly how much control he has. Every single beef that happens on here can be traced back to one guy. and its not GBG.
You are right in that it is very rare indeed for posts to be deleted or even edited on this site. The mods here are very lenient and rarely interfere with natural human disagreement and overflowing passion. The difference between the typical spats that happen so frequently between other members of the site is that there are two sides -- action and reaction -- born out of discussion of the topic at hand.

You essentially came out of nowhere to share your opinion of Rod, outside the normal chain of discourse and topic of the thread. It wasn't a natural escalation of some argument as is so often the case on message boards.

We can't allow messages like the one you posted out of the blue attacking another member, no matter who the target. An alternative would have been to create a new topic challenging the moderation practices that, in your opinion, allow what you feel to be bullying behavior by one of our members.

As for being afraid of Rod, that's certainly not an accurate assessment. He's had posts deleted/edited and been reminded of certain bits of protocol over just this current season.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

+1
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Now to BAR's post. A post by a real follower of the program.
I agree 100% with his view of the fickle fanbase.
We have an LA Laker type crowd, which never shows up for even the lineup intros.
I saw people leaving with less than a minute left at the PC game, and
I've seen it happen at other times.
People angry at being "duped" and having their money bilked, because they
chose to buy into the hype around the program.
Caveat emptor. Nobody is twisting anyone's arm to buy tickets or make contributions.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I don't think my critical comments mean I'm jumping ship. I'm there on-time unless I was drinking with ATP, 96, and BPR before the game. I left the UMASS game with 20 seconds left because 90% of the fights I've gotten in at URI games were with UMASS fans.

I'm confused by this notion that being critical of what we've seen is traitorous.

I love this team. I love Dan Hurley. It is ok for me to support both, while not ignoring what watching basketball my entire life has taught me. What we're seeing isn't good right now. At this point in time - recruiting does not look good right now. Of course I think we'll turn it around eventually, doesn't mean I'm going to sit here and be content at the present time and keep my thoughts to myself.

I'm just confused as to why my matt butler comment, and the pointing out of the fact that we aren't a good team all of a sudden makes me into someone who sits on their hands and isn't a fan of the program.

Honestly, I feel like the "let's just cheer for our rams and be happy they're playing basketball in front of us" outlook is pathetic. I think it makes us look like uninformed, small-time basketball fans - and I'd love to be able to shake that notion and see us become a legitimate top tier program. I feel like our coach has that mentality. He's saying we suck too. He's saying he hates losing. He's saying that players need to look themselves in the mirror. He certainly can't come out like I have on this board and say things, but he's the coach. I'm a fanatic.

I agree the fan base sucks. The reasons that you posted (sitting on hands, not interested), are a huge part of it, but I think it's because for the most part the at-large group is filled with uninformed, small-time basketball fans. The people who celebrate 20 win seasons against crap teams. The people who are ok with whatever they see in front of them because it's URI basketball - not because it's a good team on the court. The people who don't think home fans should be vicious to visiting teams. The people around here have low standards for success, and that's painful.

It's why projo always lists us 2nd and we have the little brother mentality about everything. When someone expects better - the masses just say that it's fine and everything is fine, and it'll be fine...but not enough people really care to a level that fans of bigger and better performing programs do.

Now - as for this "thick and thin" business....um I got a tattoo of the rams during the BARON years. When we re-defined mediocrity. I've been a season ticket holder essentially since I was 3 with my parents- until high school when I bought my own, then college when I ran the damn student group, then after graduation when I started buying my own tickets and donating.

I'm pretty sure you've all witnessed about 123894239487 mood swings on here from game to game because this team actually affects my health and well-being on a day-to-day basis. I'm dealing with fans in 205 who look sideways and tell me to calm down after a terrible officiating call or after a ridiculously sick EC/Hassan play. In all honesty I'm on my feet and yelling more in a game than the "ruckus" is.

I would argue that this athletic department ONLY cares about the "ebb and flow" fan - because those are the people who's money they're not getting. That's why we have so many pathetic and poorly executed promotions.

No matter how much I bitch and moan, I'll still be back with my season tickets. I'll still be at every game - regardless of whether EC or Hassan were here. I'll still be the loudest person in my section, because the rams are my team.

But Christ, it's ridiculous have to sit here and slap hands and cup balls talking about how awesome everything is right now to be considered a "real fan."
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Bravo, Blue Man!
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

Speaking of the Athletic Department, " Where have all those young Turks from Athletic Development gone? Prior to the Italy trip and the beginning of the regular season, these guys were running around staging events like the Russians were invading Pawtucket. Now, Crickets. It appears that they have packed it in because of the lack of success that the team has had on the court. Come on guys. Let's step it up. We need some positive events. Thor has written a big check and we need to help raise some funds to cover it. The program definitely needs an infusion of positive energy.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Cameron_Dollar wrote:Speaking of the Athletic Department, " Where have all those young Turks from Athletic Development gone? Prior to the Italy trip and the beginning of the regular season, these guys were running around staging events like the Russians were invading Pawtucket. Now, Crickets. It appears that they have packed it in because of the lack of success that the team has had on the court. Come on guys. Let's step it up. We need some positive events. Thor has written a big check and we need to help raise some funds to cover it. The program definitely needs an infusion of positive energy.
I think its just probably because it is in season/school year. Harder to get coaches and players to events this time of year. I wouldn't really tie it into the on court success too much I dont think.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

This season seems to be ending with a whimper.

Last night's Mews show hardly made mention of our upcoming games.

Except for the Pink Out promotion, that is.

The staff looks and acts like they're focusing most of their attention on recruiting.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Yeah, it's amazing Dan and staff are able to all converge each Monday on the Mews instead of doing other critical activities like recruiting (even if Carr was out likely recruiting this past week).

This year, Dan had all his weekly media obligations consolidated into Monday afternoon so that he can have less interruptions throughout the rest of the week.

I think the lack of events in-season is unsurprising as there's barely enough time for the large staff to get everything they need completed in the first place.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Blue man chill dude, not one iota of that was directed at you. I don't remember who started the Matt Butler charge, but that was just to make a point not single you out. Clearly in criticizing some fans loyalty it wasn't the guy who permanently inked himself in Rhody blue.

But please with the argument that if you aren't flying off the handle then you're satisfied. Everyone that is a fan wants to win and wants to win yesterday including me.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Agreed, blue man. I may question your sanity sometimes, but never your fandom.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Cameron_Dollar wrote:Speaking of the Athletic Department, " Where have all those young Turks from Athletic Development gone? Prior to the Italy trip and the beginning of the regular season, these guys were running around staging events like the Russians were invading Pawtucket. Now, Crickets. It appears that they have packed it in because of the lack of success that the team has had on the court. Come on guys. Let's step it up. We need some positive events. Thor has written a big check and we need to help raise some funds to cover it. The program definitely needs an infusion of positive energy.
Serious question, although it might not come off as one - What program in the country with 11 wins has the highest attendance, either in terms of the total number or the percentage of seats in the building? Unless you're committed to just losing money to get people in the seats via incentive - i.e. "Everyone gets free diamond earrings!", Oprah style - I don't think the attendance is out of line with the team's record. I might be mistaken since attendance isn't really my bugaboo, but I believe attendance is on a slight uptick this year, which is to be expected because the team quality is on a slight uptick as well.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

TruePoint wrote:Agreed, blue man. I may question your sanity sometimes, but never your fandom.
Haha probably the most true thing anyone can say about me.

BAR that certainty wasn't directed at you...just had a jumbled mess of thoughts that needed to be out out there...especially in light of my demeanor after this season.

I just worry that our fans are so complacent that it hurts the program.

most of us are sox fans here...how did we all feel with valentine and that shit show?

The complaining and anger just shows we care.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

as far as the Mods, who the hell would want their job, to get on them for anything is ridiculous. its their club if you dont like how they administer it go elsewhere. they are providing free services.

the new banner looks great btw!!
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Going back on topic...worst plays out of time outs...why call them!?

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Blue Man, the other team gets a chance to set up their defense. They know what's coming.

I agree, they should just wing it. They would have a better chance of making something happen.

Can't get a rebound when you need it. That sealed their fate tonight.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

I agree 100% bone. Every time we've called a time out this year its been an advantage for the other team.

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

It's a question of damned if you do, damned if you don't. If we don't take a TO, and don't score, then that will be questioned too.

With this group right now, we can't win. We don't have a go-to guy. EC will develop into one I'm sure, but you've got to have a guy who has a great handle, to pull it off consistently.

Our "plays" always break down with pressure put on them. For now, I say spread the floor, let EC try and take his man, and when the double team comes, pass it to the open guy.

Easier said than done, however.
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

Dan has simply been a horrible X's and O's coach this year. Hate to draw the comparison, but he hasn't shown me anything better than Baron did here. That should worry a lot of us. Those last 30 seconds were an abomination. The last possession of PC was awful. The last possession of St. Louis was horrible. Sorry, he shouldn't get a pass from anyone in these situations. Simply not acceptable.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

2010, on the surface, you're right. Dan hasn't shown us anything on end of game plays.

I still say it's not all on him, though. The players have to execute. I don't think Hurley's clueless on this. Maybe he could use some help?

I will ask Dan what's up on the end of game plays next time I see him. My guess is, he'll say the same thing, i.e. the guys have to perform.

I'll still ask, though.
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

Rambone, while I'd love to agree with you, it's the X's and O's part that gets me. Most plays that are drawn up go as follows. X or EC gets the ball at the point, and they have to create their own shot off the dribble and take a contested shot. The reason we don't hit these shots, is because, as previously noted, we don't have a "go-to guy" yet. No kidding. The point of these sets is to set on or off ball screens or draw players out for a clear out in close. None of that happens with his plays. That's where my gripe is.

If you watched PC last night (I know, sacrilege), Cooley drew up a fantastic play for a 3 ball by Henton that tied the game up at the end of regulation. Cotton got the ball at the point and I believe Batts or Harris set a screen on his man. He set a great screen. Henton got a wide open look for a 3 and hit it. X's and O's to perfection.
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

EC has to be the go to guy.. Problem is he took the ball out of bounds on last play.. By the time he got it back he did not have the spacing or time to get off a good shot.. There play selection at the end of almost every half this year is baffling.. Very seldom do they get a good look..
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Just a minor point--why wasn't Butler in the game at the end. For that matter I still say he should see some time in place of TJ who again does nothing in the half court offense. He would be a better option at the end than Gil or Hassan and also someone that St Joes has to at least think about a little.
It is beyond painful watching TJ in the half court offense. I hate to say it but he brings absolutely NOTHING! His defense does not seem to be anything special either.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Eli, right now we basically have half a team. Some guys are playing major minutes, that have no business playing those kind of minutes at this level.

They are also playing out of position. That is TJ to a T.

Missing pieces and band aids everywhere. That's us.
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

TJ doesn't have a position and should play minimal minutes. Let's see what Butler can do before the season ends.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

TJ can't play minimal minutes. Not enough bodies. Even if Biggie comes back, unless he has improved a lot, which is doubtful.

I don't think Butler is ready to play that much. He does add the threat of a 3 pt. shot, but his defense is lacking. Depending on the situation, maybe a few more minutes, here and there.

By next season, we might see more of him. Or not.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

BPR2010 wrote:Rambone, while I'd love to agree with you, it's the X's and O's part that gets me. Most plays that are drawn up go as follows. X or EC gets the ball at the point, and they have to create their own shot off the dribble and take a contested shot. The reason we don't hit these shots, is because, as previously noted, we don't have a "go-to guy" yet. No kidding. The point of these sets is to set on or off ball screens or draw players out for a clear out in close. None of that happens with his plays. That's where my gripe is.

If you watched PC last night (I know, sacrilege), Cooley drew up a fantastic play for a 3 ball by Henton that tied the game up at the end of regulation. Cotton got the ball at the point and I believe Batts or Harris set a screen on his man. He set a great screen. Henton got a wide open look for a 3 and hit it. X's and O's to perfection.
I still think it's hard to know whether the problem is Hurley's coaching ability or the lack of talent on the floor. An overlooked part of an individual's skill and/or talent is how well they can execute plays - It's easy enough to measure how high a guy can jump, or how well he can block shots or rebound. But other things might barely show up in the box score (i.e. a guy running a play crisply enough to get free for a layup) or get credited to another guy's line (a 4 setting a good screen for a 2 that results in a bucket).

With Baron's teams, it's clear they had talent, but they struggled to execute seemingly simple things at the end of games. I think that clearly reflected poorly on him. With Hurley's URI teams, I think it's still too early to tell. Munford, Mathews and Biruta are the only clear A-10 level starters to me, with Martin right on their heels, but Mathews and Martin are both freshmen as well and still acclimating to the college game. Barring something odd with junior college players, next year's team is going to be young as well, so we might not know the answer to this until following the 2015-16 season.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

So, now we want Butler to play PG.....wow.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

eli#10 wrote:TJ doesn't have a position and should play minimal minutes. Let's see what Butler can do before the season ends.
Butler got less than a minute tonight - I think that probably tells you all you need to know about what the staff thinks he can contribute this year. Since his name keeps popping up, I might have to look at how players similar to his profile developed later in their careers; namely, non-contributors in their freshmen years on bad to average teams, despite no one really blocking them at their position. This is now the second or third game in a row where the coaching staff has decided it's better for him to remain on the bench as opposed to sitting a starter.