Hurley

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Hurley

Unread post by giovanni »

Sorry but this is probably the worst coached team in URI history. Maybe along side brendan malone. Everyone laughed at Jim Ferry, Steve Pikiell, IBruiser Flint and so on. Laughed at Derrick Kellogg and John Gianinni. Wake up we are laughing stock of a 10. Destroyed by Duquesne at home. Destroyed by Fordham. Are you serious? A good or decent coach would never have his team joke of league. Never. Bs with bad luck. Cooley has had worse and is very competitive. We were all drunk with Hurley name in essence we have a glorified hs coach at this point. He's making tons of money with zero results. EC Matthews tremendous on offense but beyond pathtetic defensively! . With that being said coach k and dean smith almost run out of town b4 hof careers. I still believe but lets get real . Cfl who I despised had much better results early on.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: Hurley

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

The program was in a much better spot when CFL took over, so he should have had better early results. The program was nuked when Hurley took over, and despite today we're still better than we were the last two seasons.
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Hurley says players need to look in the mirror. I would say he should too. Losing to Duquesne is a real low point. Hurley has put together a mediocre team that doesn't look well coached.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Iggy1979 wrote:Hurley says players need to look in the mirror. I would say he should too. Losing to Duquesne is a real low point. Hurley has put together a mediocre team that doesn't look well coached.

I wish they were mediocre. The reality however is they are just plain bad. This is Hurley's team and he is just as responsible as the players. None of them are getting it done.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

TJ looked awful today - I like him a lot but he is not a starting PG in this league. Worst part of it he looked bad in D which is usually his best part of the game.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

rhodylaw wrote:TJ looked awful today - I like him a lot but he is not a starting PG in this league. Worst part of it he looked bad in D which is usually his best part of the game.
He's not a PG period. We don't have one. That is problem #1...and Biggie isn't one either.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I disagree. I don't think we're a better team than last season.

We played a MUCH tougher schedule last year. We hung in all but 3 games. 13 games were single digit losses. We looked like a team that knew how to play basketball.

Here's a comparison...this was us last year:

1-6 vs top 50
0-8 vs 51-100
2-6 vs 101-200
5-1 vs 201+

Oh and the worst team we played was ranked #244

This year:
0-8 vs 1-50
2-3 vs 51-100
1-3 vs 101-200
7-1 vs 201 +

We have played 5 teams worse than 244 this year - 268, 276, 330, 331, and 336. Plus a D-2 team.

Same wins vs the top 200. Baron-esque fluff to get us to our win total.

Our offensive "ball movement" doesnt exist. Our plays off of time outs haven't worked once. Our game management at the end is awful. Our senior "leader" leads the team in shots taken. That's about it.

I am done trusting Dan, as he is the guy who reached in my pocket and took several weeks take-home from me, on the notion that we had a team that would "beat last year's team by 40 in every practice." I sincerely hope that he was just lying to be a salesman and pump up excitement - but the more I see us, the more I'm worried it could be just ineptitude.

I want him to be the guy that wins here. I like him so much. I think he has the personality and drive to do it, and is certainly putting the sweat into it. I'm just not completely believing that he's there, or even close to being there any time soon.

For other notes Bobby Hurley's Bison's are a game out in the MAC, with a 4 star top 100 and 2 3 star recruits coming in next year.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Well, it's pretty obvious now that losing Bobby wasn't just a loss. It was a killer.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

He will become the coach we all wanted with two more pieces; some type of big serviceable center and a PG..........until then.......crap.....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Can we please stop with the Bobby comparisons. If Dan was coaching that Buffalo team they'd be just as good. They are completely different situations.

With that said, we suck.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote:Can we please stop with the Bobby comparisons. If Dan was coaching that Buffalo team they'd be just as good. They are completely different situations.

With that said, we suck.
I'm referring to recruiting, and the future.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

adam914 wrote:Can we please stop with the Bobby comparisons. If Dan was coaching that Buffalo team they'd be just as good. They are completely different situations.

With that said, we suck.
Thx Adam. Said it all for me.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

What players did Bobby recruit to URI ?
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Well, if it's true that Bobby has a 4 star and three 3 star players coming, isn't that proof enough?
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Billyboy78 wrote:Well, it's pretty obvious now that losing Bobby wasn't just a loss. It was a killer.
Why are you so obsessed with Bobby? I think it mattered zero, personally. The coaching needs to improve, the roster needs to improve, and individual players that are already on board need to improve. Everyone has to do better, across the board. There are a number of factors that have gone into making us bad; there always are when you have a bad team. Dwelling on stuff that already happened is pointless. The coaches and players are going to have to figure it out.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Why did MCkoy leave URI? Did Hurley have a say in that decision?
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

So Bobby has an LOI from one 3* Guard who also had offers from the likes of Green Bay, South Dakota, San Francisco, and North Dakota St.

Another guard is a 2* with offers from Indiana State, Kent State, Toledo, Detroit and Central CT

I am sure if these guys were listed on our recruiting page right now everybody would be pissed that we were going after kids like that. But since Bobby got him and Bobby isn't here, then they are the best signings of the year.

Oh and ready for this...he also signed a JUCO!! Who would ever do something so stupid as bring in JUCOs!!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

OK, I give up. Losing Bobby Hurley did not mean one thing to our program.
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

No 4 star from what I can see but, two 3 star PG's coming in. He took over a team that lost 20 games last year. Shouldn't that be argument enough that Bobby is doing a great job? Sub .500 overall and in conference last year. For him to be a game out and within reach of good teams like Toledo, Akron, and Ohio, is enough for me to say job well done. He has an absolute beast in Javon McCrea, but he's in a very solid mid-major conference and is competing for a title. Check out their message board, lot's and lot's of positives from their fans.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Billyboy78 wrote:OK, I give up. Losing Bobby Hurley did not mean one thing to our program.
Sorry that the facts got in the way of your dream world where Bobby would have been our recruiting savior.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:OK, I give up. Losing Bobby Hurley did not mean one thing to our program.
It probably meant something to Dan, but in terms of results on the court and in recriuting - yes, I think this is correct.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

I think we again exaggerate what we don't have. Bobby Hurley leaving is NOT why URI is not doing well. It's the new players brought in and the coaching. BTW if anyone says that Dan Hurley inherited a bigger mess than what Gerry D left Jim Baron is smoking.!
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

BPR2010 wrote:No 4 star from what I can see but, two 3 star PG's coming in. He took over a team that lost 20 games last year. Shouldn't that be argument enough that Bobby is doing a great job? Sub .500 overall and in conference last year. For him to be a game out and within reach of good teams like Toledo, Akron, and Ohio, is enough for me to say job well done. He has an absolute beast in Javon McCrea, but he's in a very solid mid-major conference and is competing for a title. Check out their message board, lot's and lot's of positives from their fans.
This is all true. But he also has 8 upperclassmen and their 3 leading scorers all returning from last year.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Much tougher schedule last year Blue Man? Not exactly. Last year they played 7 against the top 50, and 15 against the top 100. This year they've played already played 8 against the top 50, and 13 against the top 100. And they still have 3 more projected top 50 games and one more 51-100 game. So that means they're projected to play 17 top 100 games.

Last year they were 1-14 against top 100 teams. This year they're 2-11. So that means this year they have more top 100 wins and a better winning percentage against those teams. And that's just against the top 100, that doesn't take into account we already have more wins than we had all of last year.
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

Like I said Adam, he's returning a guy who's contending for conference player of the year in McCrea. I've watched this guy play a few times, quite a force down low. He inherited a good amount of experience and talent, I'm not questioning that. What I am pointing out is that he inherited a 20 loss team. Regardless of experience, a team that loses 20 games is not good. No matter what way you look at it. For him to have them 14-7, 8-3 in conference with a buzzer beating loss at Toledo (Conference front-runner and 25th in RPI) is impressive. 2-2 against the top 100. We're 2-11. I went on their boards and just heard nothing but praises about him. Overachieving this year for sure.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Last year's non conf SOS was #93. This year is #235. Anyone going by the fact that this year's team has more wins is delusional.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

BPR2010 wrote:Like I said Adam, he's returning a guy who's contending for conference player of the year in McCrea. I've watched this guy play a few times, quite a force down low. He inherited a good amount of experience and talent, I'm not questioning that. What I am pointing out is that he inherited a 20 loss team. Regardless of experience, a team that loses 20 games is not good. No matter what way you look at it. For him to have them 14-7, 8-3 in conference with a buzzer beating loss at Toledo (Conference front-runner and 25th in RPI) is impressive. 2-2 against the top 100. We're 2-11. I went on their boards and just heard nothing but praises about him. Overachieving this year for sure.
I hear ya, obviously he has helped turn things around. But to equate it back to whats going on here, do you agree/think that maybe Dan could have led a similar turnaround at URI with a 20 loss team if he returned two of the leading scorers of that team in Billy Baron and Jonathan Holton?

My argument isnt really against what Bobby is doing, its just more in saying that its not exactly equal footing to compare the two situations.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Gonebarongone wrote:Last year's non conf SOS was #93. This year is #235. Anyone going by the fact that this year's team has more wins is delusional.
This year's conference RPI is higher.
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

I'm with you on that man. I was just speaking to the job Bobby had done, not comparing it to Dan. As for having Billy and Holton, I think it would have bridged the gap 100 percent to E.C. and Hassan. I won't say tournament level, but definitely a middle of the pack team in conference (see St. Joe's/Richmond). Those 2 guys were studs, watched Billy last night actually on ESPNU. Hate his character, but god damn is he a good player. Holton committing to Huggins says a lot too. Those guys would have helped the transition, absolutely agree with you there.

The only thing I'm having trouble finding an answer for is related to what we heard about in the offseason regarding the transfers beating last year's team/things would change this year. Did Dan really expect this team to be different? Are the players just not living up to his expectations? Or is he really having trouble evaluating his own talent versus a higher level of basketball than the NEC? If the latter is the least bit true, that worries me greatly for the future. You have a good grasp on this team Adam. Would love to hear your take.
Last edited by BPR2010 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Good thing this was a 12:00 game.. At least only one leg of the 45 minute ride each way sucked in the snow. This team is a train wreck and the conductor is as much to blame as anyone.. His body language towards these kids today especially in the first half was unacceptable. In X's face a couple of times.. Swinging his hands in disgust at the way they were playing.. Tossing the clipboard.. Not too much to like about his actions and his team is getting worse to boot with no solid rays of hope in sight.. Look in the mirror coach.. Your team cannot play man to man for 40 minutes, especially when you are essentially playing 5 1/2 players(Very little Butler and Biruta's constant foul trouble).. Play some zone.. This would cover up the total lack of athleticism at the point. Love the way TJ plays but he can't stay up with these quicker point guards.. This allows the easy penetration and the fouls underneath along with constant easy hoops.. Matthews is the real deal, but he is going alone. No cohesion or rhythm on offense.. All one on one with little rhyme or reason. Hope it looks better in the future, but not warm and fuzzy about this team's direction!!
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

BPR2010 wrote: The only thing I'm having trouble finding an answer for is related to what we heard about in the offseason regarding the transfers beating last year's team/things would change this year. Did Dan really expect this team to be different? Are the players just not living up to his expectations? Or is he really having trouble evaluating his own talent versus a higher level of basketball than the NEC? If the latter is the least bit true, that worries me greatly for the future..
Honestly, I don't know yet. Sorry that's a shitty answer, but it's the truth. I am kind of in wait and see mode on that. I do feel now, looking back in hindsight, that I probably should have taken the "killing last years team in practice" stuff with a grain of salt, seeing as last years team was also awful, so maybe it wasn't saying much in reality. With that said, I totally bought into it, and can't blame the fanbase as a whole for feeling a little duped by it.

I do feel like there is at least a part of all of the talk last year that was about an overwhelming need to sell the program. He came in here as a sort of a savior to the fans, and the first two things that happen are he loses Holton and Baron. Not exactly the best way to start a turnaround. And I think he felt like he needed to bring in some transfers that he thought might speed up the turnaround. So far that obviously hasn't worked. Gil I think is fine, if he could stay out of foul trouble he'd be much more useful. JR certainly looks like a bit of a disappointment so far, although I think probably the least was expected of him out of the three. Biggie looked solid when he was a backup, and then struggled once taking over the starting spot and then got hurt. So jury is still out for me on him as well.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

What looms for Hurley is areal possibility for a double digit conference losing streak. Haven't seen that since the days of Jerry D.

As for judging talent, Aaman certainly is a NEC type player, Reischel left Rice and they are no basketball power. Biggie Minnis left Texas Tech, also no great shakes on the court. And Ifeanyi scored 21 points against Maine, one of the worst team in D1 basketball, and has essentially disappeared the rest of the season. Matthew Butler was a last minute add like Baron did with Powell. So there is lots of evidence that Hurley is a poor judge of talent.

We also saw today a team that played without heart and with a inept defense, they showed the same against Fordham. Ball handling continues to be a problem as does foul shooting. The team apparently crumbles under pressure. All this and a lack of any sustained improvement indicates not great coaching.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Obadiah wrote:BTW if anyone says that Dan Hurley inherited a bigger mess than what Gerry D left Jim Baron is smoking.!
I said it, and it's fact not opinion. When Baron came in URI was two seasons removed from playing in the tournament, so they had national relevence with high school recruits. They had two guys playing in the NBA, one considered a potential top, franchise level talent and one very solid player. Ground was already being broken on the Ryan Center. And his first NIT team, his second year as coach? Brian Woodward was 1st in points and rebounds per game and 2nd in assists. Howard Smith was 1st in assists, 4th in rebounds. Lazare Adingono was 3rd in points, 2nd in rebounds. All three and Steve Mello were guys that he inherited. His biggest concern was potential sanctions from the Harrick era. We lost a scholarship but that spot was filled by a walk-on named Jimmy Baron.

So when Hurley took over? Well Xavier Munford was still going to be 6 for a couple more months last time we were in the tournament. Our best known former player is known best for being a reality TV star for most current high schoolers. The Ryan Center, as nice as it is, was already host to 10 URI seasons before Hurley was named coach. The only Jim Baron player on the roster right now is TJ Buchanan. And we’re still fighting to get our APR to the point where we don’t have to worry about sanctions.

Not even close, Hurley inherited a much worse program than Baron did. Our basketball program was a nuclear wasteland on March 20th, 2012 when Dan Hurley was named coach. He’s not just trying to build a program, he’s still trying to clear the rubble from the last guy. Facts, not opinion.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Gonebarongone wrote:Last year's non conf SOS was #93. This year is #235. Anyone going by the fact that this year's team has more wins is delusional.
Ignore half of our opponents. That's really intellectually honest. And we have more wins and a better winning percentage against top 100 teams than we did last year. Facts, not opinion. There's a whole world outside of your rectum, you might want to pull your head out and check it out sometime.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

ram1980 wrote:Good thing this was a 12:00 game.. At least only one leg of the 45 minute ride each way sucked in the snow. This team is a train wreck and the conductor is as much to blame as anyone.. His body language towards these kids today especially in the first half was unacceptable. In X's face a couple of times.. Swinging his hands in disgust at the way they were playing.. Tossing the clipboard.. Not too much to like about his actions and his team is getting worse to boot with no solid rays of hope in sight.. Look in the mirror coach.. Your team cannot play man to man for 40 minutes, especially when you are essentially playing 5 1/2 players(Very little Butler and Biruta's constant foul trouble).. Play some zone.. This would cover up the total lack of athleticism at the point. Love the way TJ plays but he can't stay up with these quicker point guards.. This allows the easy penetration and the fouls underneath along with constant easy hoops.. Matthews is the real deal, but he is going alone. No cohesion or rhythm on offense.. All one on one with little rhyme or reason. Hope it looks better in the future, but not warm and fuzzy about this team's direction!!
I could care less about his sideline demeanor. How would you react to what you saw today? I'm far more concerned with what I am seeing on the court.
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Kids are tuning him out.. He was visibly fed up.. We all feel his pain, but as the leader he needs to mask it better to get the best out of these players... Duquesne is not a good team and you get manhandled at home by them sets off alarms that something is wrong. Bad message to send to young college players.. Thus affecting what you are seeing on the court..
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

Right now we have 3 A10 level players on our roster for next year with an unproven post player in Watson and no point guard.
Its really that simple, I've seen enough of Minnis, Onyekaba, Reishcel to know that they are role players at best. I dont care who our coach is, until we get better players to go along with EC and Martin, we are going to be a lower level A10 team. I'm not sold either way on Hurley yet and realize he is still a young coach who's learning and he's playing in a conference much different than the NEC. I'm done making the trip to the RC this year, its just not worth the commitment right now, as a fan(atic) you have so much emotion invested in the team and right now we are not getting any return on that investment.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Ignore half of our opponents. That's really intellectually honest. And we have more wins and a better winning percentage against top 100 teams than we did last year. Facts, not opinion. There's a whole world outside of your rectum, you might want to pull your head out and check it out sometime.
Don't be a dope. If you want to say the A10 is better fine. It is. Marginally. The entirety of the schedule is easier this year. This is a fact. My point was and remains that pointing to win totals is ridiculous. This team stinks. And last year's team stunk. There has been no improvement in play and recruiting has taken a nosedive. There is every chance the guy who helped close EC and Martin is now in the MAC.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Gonebarongone wrote:There is every chance the guy who helped close EC and Martin is now in the MAC.
Well while we're completely making shit up, we should also say there is every chance that the guy who helped close EC and Martin is still our head coach.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote:
Gonebarongone wrote:There is every chance the guy who helped close EC and Martin is now in the MAC.
Well while we're completely making shit up, we should also say there is every chance that the guy who helped close EC and Martin is still our head coach.
Also, Bobby was not involved in getting either. He didn't do much recruiting for URI. So let's just stop that stupid narrative right now.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Not much perspective from the fellowship of the miserable
on this thread.
Baron inherited a worse situation than Hurley did?
Really?
Baron inherited a program with a new building to sell recruits.
A program two years removed from 3 straight NCAAs, an Elite 8, and A-10 Championship,
2 NBA players, one a lottery pick.
Hurley inherited a pile of shit, a program 13 years removed from an NCAA,
academic nightmares, players who were indicted, players like McCoy, who were awful
students. Do any of you smart guys wonder WHY he had to go juco before going to Duquesne?
Get your heads out of your collective asses, before making dumb statements that hold no water.
Oh, and losing Bobby hurt. Anyone who says it doesn't knows shit.
Bobby was the star, not Dan. Fact. EC was sold on learning from Bobby.
Bobby has the killer resume.
Bobby went to Detroit to make sure EC was alright after all the crap he took for declaring for
URI. TP, you are making statements backed by zero facts. Yours is the stupid narrative.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Don't bother on Bobby, Rod. No one believes it. Yes, Preston recruited EC, but I guess it didn't matter that he was going to be coached by possibly the greatest point guard in NCAA history. If we still had posts from the Fall of 2012, all the posters who are now saying that Bobby basically meant nothing to recruiting, were the same ones who were saying that EC, the future PG of URI at the time was coming here because of a legendary college PG. I wish we still had those posts.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

But can't there be somewhere in between? Why does everything have to always be assumed to be one extreme or the other around here? Of course Bobby meant something to this program, but he didn't mean everything to this program, and we aren't doomed without him.

Earlier in this thread you said it was "obvious that losing Bobby was a killer". I disagree that it is "obvious" at this point. Sure having one of the best PGs EVER on your staff is a good thing. But can't I think that losing Bobby wasn't "obviously a killer" and a sign that Dan can't recruit, while at the same time realizing that having him as coach was a good thing.

I'll say the same thing I said earlier, if Dan had signed the same two guys I mentioned above that Bobby has signed to Buffalo, nobody would say he was doing an amazing job recruiting.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Big difference in MAC and A-10 level.
Bobby can recruit for his level and be successful.
Dan needs to step it up, or we'll be looking at another long season
next year.
I guarantee you they will be a lot less season tickets sold this summer.
People will take a wait and see attitude this time.
Not sure you could jam the Alpine again, either.
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

I agree with you except for one thing Rod. Bobby is recruiting higher level players than Danny for next season. Look on rivals.com or even ESPN's ratings. Both of Bobby's 3 star guys are rated higher than Watson, Gustys, or Randolph. Whether they're A-10 level or not, is up to interpretation. What isn't apparently, is what has been seen in high school and AAU with each Hurley's respective recruits. Coincidentally, both of Bobby's guys are PG's. Wonder if we can steal just one of them for next year. You're right though, a lot more people won't be fronting the money this summer until Danny and his boys prove something on the court when it counts.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

BPR, you won't catch me knocking Bobby.
Funny as hell, too.
Told me after he left for Buffalo, "Cranston will never be the same without me!"
He lived in Edgewood, during his time here.
He also blew up his microwave on Thanksgiving, last year.

Who's Randolph?
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

I think he's referring to this guy: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=74
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Wow! Ancient history.
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

Thanks Smarty. Don't think he's still on the radar, but I know he hasn't signed anywhere as of yet. That's hilarious Rod. Always thought people underrated the news that Bobby was taking over in Buffalo. I've actually followed them closely this year, have an absolute stud in McCrea. Possible POY in the MAC. Tough loss today to a good Ohio team, but I've ventured over to their message boards a few times this year. Nothing but praise for Bobby. Except for the fact that he apparently wears shirts that are 7 times too big for him. They always say his tailor should be fired. If only that was the least of our problems as well!
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I'm encouraged that fans are not a bunch of apologists and excuse makers. Did you see the student section today? They spoke with their feet.

My sense is that the hype over our ineligible players last season got us Matthews and Martin. I think recruiting for next season will be tough. We need what we have to step up next season. View next season's recruit as an indicator of what DH can do. The Hurley name will no longer be a draw for URI or a reason to toe the line. The aura is gone.

I'll lay some of the blame on the assistants: Preston, Luke and Jim. It is their job to motivate, soothe hurt feelings, keep players focused, help players overcome obstacles, and recruit, recruit, recruit. A shake-up is needed.

Losing requires changes.

Matthews and Martin are very good freshman. TJ never expected to play PG; it is not his fault that he was tossed into this role. We need to applaud his effort.
NCAAs or Bust!