GM 2 Football @ Albany 7pm Saturday Sept 11 FloFootball.com

All things Rhody Rams football.
ramster
Frank Keaney

GM 2 Football @ Albany 7pm Saturday Sept 11 FloFootball.com

Unread post by ramster »

Albany starts the season @ North Dakota State Saturday Sept 4 @ 3:30pm in Fargo ND. ESPN+
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: GM 2 Football @ Albany 7pm Saturday Sept 11 FloFootball.com

Unread post by ramster »

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Albany favored by 2.5
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Albany favored by 2.5
Juicy?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Bos8 wrote: 2 years ago
ramster wrote: 2 years ago Albany favored by 2.5
Juicy?
That's a question for Mr Forster :D
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Brian Forster
ARD

Unread post by Brian Forster »

Rhody plus points is good bet. Buy point at plus 3.5.
Tough game but winnable
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Getting an extra point blocked is very URI.
GO RAMS
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago Getting an extra point blocked is very URI.
Even more URI

Albany on 3rd and 20 at the 3 yard line in crunch time converts on a 24 yard pass
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Rhody Wins!

2-0!
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Great W!!!!!
GO RAMS
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago Great W!!!!!
So crazy how similar this game was to the one in the spring
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

NEED HELP TRYING TO FIGURE THIS OUT. Toward the end of the game we have a fourth and one at midfield. After trying to draw Albany offside we decide to get in punt formation and Albany runs in to punter and a flag is thrown resulting in a first down. Right? Wrong as no penalty is enforced and we had to punt again.

Can someone please explain the ruling as to how we did not get a first down on that play?
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

Defense played extremely well. Great Win! Looking forward to next weeks game.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

eli#10 wrote: 2 years ago NEED HELP TRYING TO FIGURE THIS OUT. Toward the end of the game we have a fourth and one at midfield. After trying to draw Albany offside we decide to get in punt formation and Albany runs in to punter and a flag is thrown resulting in a first down. Right? Wrong as no penalty is enforced and we had to punt again.

Can someone please explain the ruling as to how we did not get a first down on that play?
We took a delay of game and got pushed back 5 yards. Then the 5 yard penalty put us back at 4th and 1.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Was at the game. Good crowd and good game. Some tough calls against us but pulled it out. And oh yeah we paid to park…on campus…15 bucks 🤷🏽‍♂️
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago
eli#10 wrote: 2 years ago NEED HELP TRYING TO FIGURE THIS OUT. Toward the end of the game we have a fourth and one at midfield. After trying to draw Albany offside we decide to get in punt formation and Albany runs in to punter and a flag is thrown resulting in a first down. Right? Wrong as no penalty is enforced and we had to punt again.

We took a delay of game and got pushed back 5 yards. Then the 5 yard penalty put us back at 4th and 1.
The Ref and the Announcers were saying the running into the punter was an automatic 1st down. That was incorrect, it is a 5 yard penalty - putting the ball back at 4th and 1. We then punted again.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Freshman Westley Neal Jr (#99) played well, especially in the 4th quarter. The Announcers were singling Neal out for his strong play in the 4th quarter.

When Albany had the last series, Neal was being double teamed and once I saw even 3 guys trying to block him.
On the last play for Albany, 4th down and 3 yards to go at midfield, the Albany QB came up to the line and pointed at Neal with both hands, I'm guessing he was telling his offensive line to make sure they contained Neal because Neal had been driving him crazy. On a great call by the URI Coaching staff we blitzed on that 4th down. Linebacker Andre Blackett charged through untouched and sacked the QB while Neal once again was being double teamed.

Good crowd announced of 8,100.

Next Saturday @ Brown, then a week off and then the humongous Family and Friends Homecoming Game vs Stony Brook that is already Sold Out.
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Great to be 2-0 with a sold-out homecoming game coming after the Governor’s Cup battle.
2-0 in the league, that would really be a good start!

Sounded like Terry and Steve were patched in from their own respective kitchens, watching the game on tv, miles away from the stadium and each other. I think Terry was also channeling his inner Neil Peart for a good bit.

Anyway, very exciting stuff, and things are really looking up for the gridders.

Many of us have been saying forever not to give up on this program. Hoops is obviously the big dog, but there really is nothing like a winning football team, even at the I-AA level. The Yankee Conference (CAA) is a great league, and if we can make the playoffs…
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Freshman Westley Neal Jr (#99) played well, especially in the 4th quarter. The Announcers were singling Neal out for his strong play in the 4th quarter.

When Albany had the last series, Neal was being double teamed and once I saw even 3 guys trying to block him.
On the last play for Albany, 4th down and 3 yards to go at midfield, the Albany QB came up to the line and pointed at Neal with both hands, I'm guessing he was telling his offensive line to make sure they contained Neal because Neal had been driving him crazy. On a great call by the URI Coaching staff we blitzed on that 4th down. Linebacker Andre Blackett charged through untouched and sacked the QB while Neal once again was being double teamed.

Next Saturday @ Brown, then a week off and then the humongous Family and Friends Homecoming Game vs Stony Brook that is already Sold Out.
You are right Ramster Neal was huge yesterday. Even on that last play Blackett got the sack but Neal had beaten the double team and was in the backfield.
Brian Forster
ARD

Got the W and the cover.
Uncanny.
I am sure I missed it-where were the PRE and post game articles in ProJo?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Brian Forster wrote: 2 years ago Got the W and the cover.
Uncanny.
Here’s the Albany Times-Union article

https://www.timesunion.com/sports/artic ... 452176.php
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rhodyrudder wrote: 2 years ago Great to be 2-0 with a sold-out homecoming game coming after the Governor’s Cup battle.
2-0 in the league, that would really be a good start!

Sounded like Terry and Steve were patched in from their own respective kitchens, watching the game on tv, miles away from the stadium and each other. I think Terry was also channeling his inner Neil Peart for a good bit.

Anyway, very exciting stuff, and things are really looking up for the gridders.

Many of us have been saying forever not to give up on this program. Hoops is obviously the big dog, but there really is nothing like a winning football team, even at the I-AA level. The Yankee Conference (CAA) is a great league, and if we can make the playoffs…
Rudder,
I'm not sure I'd say many of us have been saying don't give up the program - at least here, but often the argument has been to drop Football so we can have Hockey or a better Men's Basketball Program, etc. I think keeping Football has always been important and we can have both Good Basketball and Football Programs. Glad to see this Football Program continually improving. Makes future investing in the Football Program easier.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Freshman Westley Neal Jr (#99) played well, especially in the 4th quarter. The Announcers were singling Neal out for his strong play in the 4th quarter.

You are right Ramster Neal was huge yesterday. Even on that last play Blackett got the sack but Neal had beaten the double team and was in the backfield.
Yes, I got to where I was watching Neal on every play the last couple minutes of the game. He was in the backfield and more than likely the efforts Albany had to put in place to help contain Neal helped enable the Blitzing of Blackett to be effective. Maybe Fleming doesn't even call the Blitz if Neal is not as effective as he was.

Great win.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago

Yes, I got to where I was watching Neal on every play the last couple minutes of the game. He was in the backfield and more than likely the efforts Albany had to put in place to help contain Neal helped enable the Blitzing of Blackett to be effective. Maybe Fleming doesn't even call the Blitz if Neal is not as effective as he was.

Great win.
If Neal is that good as a freshman, I'm afraid he won't be here too long. He certainly has the size at 315 lbs. to play at a higher level.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago

Great win.
If Neal is that good as a freshman, I'm afraid he won't be here too long. He certainly has the size at 315 lbs. to play at a higher level.
He came here as a 4 star out of high school. If he came here then as a Freshman, then the same logic might say he could remain here if he likes the environment. He moved here from Florida.
Native
ARD

Unread post by Native »

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Uncanny.
I’m normally a defender of the ProJo here and I love reading the paper everyday, but I don’t understand this lack of coverage.
The Rhode Island State University playing its first CAA Conference game of the season, playing before CAA fans for the first time in two years - and no pregame or postgame article?
URI now (2-0) and could win the Governors Cup next week at Brown. Already sold out completely for the Stony Brook game.
What makes this NOT a story? Not even expecting much of a story but nothing at all seems strange.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Uncanny.
I’m normally a defender of the ProJo here and I love reading the paper everyday, but I don’t understand this lack of coverage.
The Rhode Island State University playing its first CAA Conference game of the season, playing before CAA fans for the first time in two years - and no pregame or postgame article?
URI now (2-0) and could win the Governors Cup next week at Brown. Already sold out completely for the Stony Brook game.
What makes this NOT a story? Not even expecting much of a story but nothing at all seems strange.
There's still newspapers?
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Great win.
How in the hell did we get him??
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Was at the game. Good crowd and good game. Some tough calls against us but pulled it out. And oh yeah we paid to park…on campus…15 bucks 🤷🏽‍♂️
How is that stadium? It's obviously pretty new, so it's got that going for it, but it looks pretty bare bones. Is that an accurate assesment?
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Fleming has finally recruited well enough to overcome his in-game coaching!
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Brian Forster
ARD

Iggy-precisely
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Was at the game. Good crowd and good game. Some tough calls against us but pulled it out. And oh yeah we paid to park…on campus…15 bucks 🤷🏽‍♂️
How is that stadium? It's obviously pretty new, so it's got that going for it, but it looks pretty bare bones. Is that an accurate assesment?
If we just replaced our Home side with what they have Meade would be awesome. Our visitor side is better as theirs was just a long bleacher.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Albany's Bob Ford Field is a nice football stadium. Opened in 2013.

RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago
If we just replaced our Home side with what they have Meade would be awesome. Our visitor side is better as theirs was just a long bleacher.
If we could just do what they apparently have done and what UNH did we would have a top of the conference stadium. Pair a top of the conference stadium with the rest of our school and our location and we should be almost a perennial playoff contender. New Hampshire has been to the playoffs 16 times since our last appearance including 14 years in a row with many of those appearances coming with facilities comparable to our current facilities. Maine has made the playoffs eight times since our last appearance and their facilities are better but nothing crazy. If we could just find about $25-30 million....
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Brian Forster
ARD

Rhowdy-Who’s we from a funding standpoint? You mean “if the donors”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Great win.
He came here as a 4 star out of high school. If he came here then as a Freshman, then the same logic might say he could remain here if he likes the environment. He moved here from Florida.
From the URI Bio for Neal Jr.

Before URI
Rated as a 4-star recruit by Rivals.com and a 3-star recruit by ESPN
Ranked 60th at his position in the nation according to 247Sports.com
Held offers from Michigan, Florida State, Kentucky, Virginia, Miami and Louisville
Attended Gulliver Prep in Pinecrest, Fla., where he was a three-sport athlete
Led his school to its first undefeated season in 2019