URI can't compete with the top teams of the A-10 in 2020

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

URI can't compete with the top teams of the A-10 in 2020

Unread post by RF1 »

URI may currently be 12-5 versus the A-10 but a closer look at its conference record is quite revealing. Rhody is win-less in all four of the games against the top three NET teams (Dayton, Richmond, and St Louis) in the league. This despite the fact that three of these four games were played in Kingston. URI didn't even really challenge these opponents in the four games losing by fairly large margins in all being outscored a combined 306-247. The closest Rhody came was within 8 points of Richmond in Kingston back in early January. That final score was however a bit misleading as URI trailed by double digits much of the game (down 30-19 at the half) and only made it look closer by scoring the last 6 points with two three point baskets near the end.

URI accumulated all its league wins against the lesser NET teams going 12-1 with eight of these games on the road. In the end, the site of games was not much of a determining factor. Talent seems to have been the main reason. This Rhody team showed that while it could beat up on the weaker competition, it could not compete on the same court with the top of the A-10. Anyone that still has high hopes for a deep run in Brooklyn should consider this sobering fact. These Rams cannot beat the best. They do not have the necessary talent to do so.

Rhode Island #56 NET versus top three A-10 members:
Dayton #3 NET | 0-2 | @ Kingston 57-84 | @ Dayton 67-81
Richmond #45 NET | 0-1 | @ Kingston 61-69 |
St Louis #53 NET | 0-1 | @ Kingston 62-72 |
Last edited by RF1 4 years ago, edited 4 times in total.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Re: URI can't compete with the top teams of the A-10 in 2020

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

VCU was #20 in the nation, had recently defeated a ranked LSU and was cruising until URI defeated them, twice. Plagued by very significant injures. they fell off a cliff, but they were a top 3 team.
GO RAMS
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

We clinched a double bye. We can clinch a 3 seed with a win. That's the best case scenario to avoid Dayton and hope they get tripped up. Best case scenario is we're the 3 and play either Duquesne or St. Bona before a rematch with Richmond. I don't want to see St. Louis.

TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

A URI win or a Bonnies win at SLU would lock URI into the 3 seed. I have a hard time seeing a Bonnies win on the road, but technically there is a way to back into the 3 seed even with a loss to UMass. At this point, it would be a big character win to win in Amherst but I’m not feeling particularly confident about it.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago URI may currently be 12-5 versus the A-10 but a closer look at its conference record is quite revealing. Rhody is win-less in all four of the games against the top three NET teams (Dayton, Richmond, and St Louis) in the league. This despite the fact that three of these four games were played in Kingston. URI didn't even really challenge these opponents in the four games losing by fairly large margins in all being outscored a combined 306-247. The closest Rhody came was within 8 points of Richmond in Kingston back in early January. That final score was however a bit misleading as URI trailed by double digits much of the game (down 30-19 at the half) and only made it look closer by scoring the last 6 points with two three point baskets near the end.

URI accumulated all its league wins against the lesser NET teams going 12-1 with eight of these games on the road. In the end, the site of games was not much of a determining factor. Talent seems to have been the main reason. This Rhody team showed that while it could beat up on the weaker competition, it could not compete on the same court with the top of the A-10. Anyone that still has high hopes for a deep run in Brooklyn should consider this sobering fact. These Rams cannot beat the best. They do not have the necessary talent.
Thank you for crunching the numbers, I had a similar thought and wanted to do it myself. I would argue with your ultimate conclusion though, or at least add on to it. We do not have the necessary coaching
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
OldSchoolRhody
Abdul Fox

Unread post by OldSchoolRhody »

Yes, but we match up well with VCU - up tempo team that scores off opponents turnovers etc. What we don't match up well with is a high IQ team that spreads the floor well and executes complex offensive sets, and plays great half court defense around the perimeter with solid help collapsing on the dribble drive. Book is out on how to beat us.
We're... We're going streaking! We're going up down the quad and to the gymnasium! Who is in? Let's Go Rhody!
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago URI may currently be 12-5 versus the A-10 but a closer look at its conference record is quite revealing. Rhody is win-less in all four of the games against the top three NET teams (Dayton, Richmond, and St Louis) in the league. This despite the fact that three of these four games were played in Kingston. URI didn't even really challenge these opponents in the four games losing by fairly large margins in all being outscored a combined 306-247. The closest Rhody came was within 8 points of Richmond in Kingston back in early January. That final score was however a bit misleading as URI trailed by double digits much of the game (down 30-19 at the half) and only made it look closer by scoring the last 6 points with two three point baskets near the end.

URI accumulated all its league wins against the lesser NET teams going 12-1 with eight of these games on the road. In the end, the site of games was not much of a determining factor. Talent seems to have been the main reason. This Rhody team showed that while it could beat up on the weaker competition, it could not compete on the same court with the top of the A-10. Anyone that still has high hopes for a deep run in Brooklyn should consider this sobering fact. These Rams cannot beat the best. They do not have the necessary talent to do so.

We also had a little fortune go our way. Bonnies and GW were missing their best player when we beat them. St. Joe's was missing arguably their best player when we beat them at home. Davidson was a little banged up when we beat them at home (not including the guys that were out for the year). And OOC Western Kentucky was missing their best player.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RhodyRam86 wrote: 4 years ago

We also had a little fortune go our way. Bonnies and GW were missing their best player when we beat them. St. Joe's was missing arguably their best player when we beat them at home. Davidson was a little banged up when we beat them at home (not including the guys that were out for the year). And OOC Western Kentucky was missing their best player.
That while true, however gets negated a bit on the flip side. Dowtin was out at St Joe's for a suspension. Langevine missed the Fordham game. Downtin played less minutes and was hampered by injury in the Fordham game as well.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I think Dayton and SLU are bad matchups because they are big physical teams that clog the paint and Fatts is not as effective, particularly because we do not shoot well from outside which would open things up more.

Some of it is coaching I am sure, but a lot of it is just we don’t have guys to match up there. We miss Dana in those matchups more than other games and as much as I love the potential of Jacob he has not stepped up enough yet to fill that void.
Rhody22
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody22 »

I feel our biggest problem is that we have a bunch of athletes and we only recruit athletes. I’d love to recruit some basketball players one of these years. We get super excited with our recruits whenever they are labeled “athletic”. They can run and jump and look good in HS but at the D1 level it’s a different story and their athleticism isn’t always enough.
We are also too one-dimensional. We rely on getting to the basket to score. Our shooting is horrendous and this issue has not been addressed in years. We cannot beat a zone and teams collapse on D when we drive because we are not much of a threat to score from outside the paint. We are also undersized. We have not had a center over 6’8” in years so our low post game vs teams with any kind of size is very limited. I really just want to get a shooter (not a scorer) and a big who is a true center, tall with a long wingspan who can rebound and defend.
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

I watched the Butler v St John's last night prior to our game. It was once again eye opening because the passing that is done on other teams far surpasses any of the ball movement we do here. That to me is one of our biggest weaknesses. Quick, purposeful offensive ball movement.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Duquesne also killed Saint Louis and we killed Duquesne.

We did have good passing and ball movement during that streak.

We had great defense.

We were a good team.

Just somehow we were able to totally fall completely off the map. Mostly because Fatts can suddenly not make shots.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago Duquesne also killed Saint Louis and we killed Duquesne.

We had great defense.

We were a good team.

Just somehow we were able to totally fall completely off the map. Mostly because Fatts can suddenly not make shots.
But he has no problem taking them. His misses are not even close for the most part. He is way off.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago Duquesne also killed Saint Louis and we killed Duquesne.

We had great defense.

We were a good team.

But he has no problem taking them. His misses are not even close for the most part. He is way off.
Well if he is our only chance to win he might as well take them right?

I mean I feel like he was shooting better shots for most of the year. Taking his time. Getting closer to the basket.

Everything unraveled against Brown and Richmond.

We fix it all and kick ass for 10 games and then it unravels again.

After a bye week no less!

You'd think theyd know how to get right after unraveling right?

We have done it before!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......numerous times Coach Cox said in post games, “.......men vs boys.....”
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

I'd like to see Fatts benched on Saturday. Let's see what happens when a Freshman takes his spot like vs Davidson at home
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

RhodyRams916 wrote: 4 years ago I'd like to see Fatts benched on Saturday. Let's see what happens when a Freshman takes his spot like vs Davidson at home
I am a Huge Fatts supporter and I completely agree with this take. Sit Tyrese to start as well and start Jacob and Mekhi and have those guys off the bench.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rhodylaw wrote: 4 years ago
RhodyRams916 wrote: 4 years ago I'd like to see Fatts benched on Saturday. Let's see what happens when a Freshman takes his spot like vs Davidson at home
I am a Huge Fatts supporter and I completely agree with this take. Sit Tyrese to start as well and start Jacob and Mekhi and have those guys off the bench.
Rhode_Island_Red suggested Russell off the bench vs Dayton

I’m there with all of you. Dowtin at PG, Russell off the bench.
Time for a change.
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

rhodylaw wrote: 4 years ago
Why not? Nothing to lose at this point.
Mobley was fouled.
spar
Kenny Green

Unread post by spar »

Don't think Cox has the chops to do it. Plus, I feel there would be some sulking from Tyrese and Fatts if he did actually do it (not that I would give a S, but does it potentially have impact longer term?). Fatts had the right attitude the last time Cox did it, but something tells me that the Fatts we've seen recently wouldn't handle it quite as well this time around.

The team's edge is gone, and whatever fire they had burned out two weeks ago. I would love to be proven wrong and see a complete turnaround, but having a very hard time envisioning it.

In the post game yesterday Cox more or less said that we'll see how they respond after what has transpired. Personally, I'd love to hear something more along the lines of..."It's been an absolute brutal two weeks for this program. I take full responsibility. But I can guarantee you this. This team will NOT quit...we will NOT lay down...we will KEEP fighting, and we WILL be better prepared on Saturday and for the A10 tournament."

If you're coach doesn't show that fire and determination, how can we expect the team to??! He also mentioned that Jeff and Cyril have a done a great job leading the team, etc., but it almost comes across as he's relying too much on them to have the underclassmen bought in and prepared. That's his job! You certainly need your seniors to help and lead, but it all starts with the coach. I may be way off base here and/or taking some of his comments out of context, but from what I've seen these last few weeks it adds up.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

I'd like to see the coaching team benched Saturday!!!

Fix it Cox!!!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Cox will be around next year.

To me, the jury's still out on him, but I'm not as sold on him as I was before.

Lots of things to work on.
Tjrams91
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Tjrams91 »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Cox will be around next year.

To me, the jury's still out on him, but I'm not as sold on him as I was before.

Lots of things to work on.
He will be around for at least 2 more years.