2014 NCAA Tournament All Game Comments

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

2014 NCAA Tournament All Game Comments

Unread post by ramster »

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... an-jaspers
What a moron Rick Pitino is. So now the NCAA is supposed to consider that another Coach might have come up under another so they are not supposed to play one another? Is this an early April 1st Joke or is this guy serious? So Danny and Bobby are supposed to get put into different brackets? I can't imagine Danny or Bobby ever making a statement like this - and it's both Coaches making these statements. What a freaken baby.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: 2014 NCAA Tournament All Game Comments

Unread post by ramster »

What an individual performance by Adreian Payne of Michigan State against Delaware in a first round game.
10-15 fg
4-5 on 3 pointers
17-17 free throws
8 rebounds 41 points
All this from a guy who 6'10" and 245 pounds
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Oh man, shut up QuickRick!
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Captainron@
Kenny Green

Unread post by Captainron@ »

I'm guessing you don't have them in your Final 4? Don't have them winning, but I do have them in.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

"blasts NCAA" in the headline is a bit of a stretch. I'm no Pitino fan, but his comments didn't seem that angry or out of line, IMO.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

It's unreal how this UCONN game has been officiated. Not called both ways at all. Does Napier finish through contact everytime or does he make a layup and they give him a bonus foul shot.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Right there Napier throws it away and reaches across the kids whole body to cause a turnover.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Napier is one of the "favored ones". Don't you know that?

UConn was very lucky to win that game. Never should have gone to OT.

They won't win their next game.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Charles Barkley saying he thinks his head is going to explode if he sees one more Head Coach NOT foul when up by 3 points in the lat seconds of a game. Kellogg also agrees with Charles.
This has been debated several times on the past on our KeaneyBlue board.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Wow, amazing.
North Dakota State up by 7 with 20 seconds to go versus Oklahoma in OT.
Fargo North Dakota will be hopping tonight
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

ND State wins! And I have them in my bracket at work. Only loss so far: Colorado.

P.S. Villanova sucks. They will likely win, but they look like shit so far.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

But but but!! Nova is from the Big East!! They MUST be good!?
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Note to ATP:

The BE sucks!!!

:o :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

Ramster, I've followed Payne since he was a freshman in East Lansing. It's something I've brought up with our foul shooting woes. That guy as a freshman was nothing more than a freak athlete. Could jump like a 6'6 forward. However, he decided he wanted to play at the next level. He made it a point after his sophomore year to work every day on foul shooting and 3 point shooting. Shot 49 percent from the line as a freshman, 69 percent as a sophomore. Didn't attempt many 3's those 2 years either. Junior year he explodes to 85 percent from the line and 38 percent from 3. This is their CENTER. He was 17/17 from the line today. Best performance I've seen from him, that's after watching him in 100+ games.

Translates to Rhody, because of those stats and the jump from his first 2 years. Free throw shooting CAN improve. 3 point shooting CAN improve. He had neither of these things coming to college. However, the amount of time and effort he's put in during the offseason has made him a lock of an NBA player. To be 6'10, jump out of the gym, and shoot the 3, is everything you need in an NBA 4 man. Our guys can and should improve. They should make it a point to work on these parts of their game, because it was atrocious this year for us. Cost us so many games. I'm sick of hearing the lack of talent and depth is the reason we struggle in these areas. Not saying anyone should be like him, but in these areas, we should be better going forward.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

BPR2010 wrote:Ramster, I've followed Payne since he was a freshman in East Lansing. It's something I've brought up with our foul shooting woes. That guy as a freshman was nothing more than a freak athlete. Could jump like a 6'6 forward. However, he decided he wanted to play at the next level. He made it a point after his sophomore year to work every day on foul shooting and 3 point shooting. Shot 49 percent from the line as a freshman, 69 percent as a sophomore. Didn't attempt many 3's those 2 years either. Junior year he explodes to 85 percent from the line and 38 percent from 3. This is their CENTER. He was 17/17 from the line today. Best performance I've seen from him, that's after watching him in 100+ games.

Translates to Rhody, because of those stats and the jump from his first 2 years. Free throw shooting CAN improve. 3 point shooting CAN improve. He had neither of these things coming to college. However, the amount of time and effort he's put in during the offseason has made him a lock of an NBA player. To be 6'10, jump out of the gym, and shoot the 3, is everything you need in an NBA 4 man. Our guys can and should improve. They should make it a point to work on these parts of their game, because it was atrocious this year for us. Cost us so many games. I'm sick of hearing the lack of talent and depth is the reason we struggle in these areas. Not saying anyone should be like him, but in these areas, we should be better going forward.
BPR, Charles Barkley, Derrick Kellogg and company were very high on Payne's performance today - they specifically mentioned his 17-17 free throw shooting. Great to see a guy like this improve each year and his work pay off for him
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

All we have to do, is compare to PC.

Last season, they shot 65% from the line as a team. Same as us this year.

This season, with the same players plus Harris, they shot 78% from the line, and led the country.

Can we do that? Maybe not improve THAT much, but even if we jump up to say, 72% [split the difference], we should win 3-4 games that we lost this year due to horrid FT shooting.

They obviously made it a point to improve. We have to do the same.
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

Honestly, I see Hassan a lot like him as a Freshman. The comparisons are extremely similar, Hassan with better numbers in his first year. Freakish athletes with a knack for blocking shots. Just need to grow into their bodies a bit more. I expect Hassan to turn into that kind of player, minus maybe a 3 point shot. He can definitely improve his range and hands a bit more. It's why everyone should be so high on this guy. His game is a mirror image of Payne as a freshman. That gives me a ton of hope.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Hassan is going to be great, but he's not 6"10".

We wish.
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

Well god-given physical abilities notwithstanding, I should have said. Very similar tendencies though. Payne the all time blocks leader at State, can definitely see Hassan threatening Rhody's record at the end of 4 years. Develop that mid-range shot and he's going to be one heck of a player as a junior/senior, height or not.
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

How about this Louisville game??? No wonder Baron didn't make the dance, this Manhattan team is legit. Beating Louisville at their own game with the full court press and half court traps. It's nights like these I'm glad I take vacation time from work the first 2 days of the tournament every year. One of the most epic upsets of our time may occur in a little bit.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

One day into the tournament and I'm already drained. I wish I had Bryce Cotton's motor.
Winning first round games and not getting blown out justifies the number of bids we got. I don't see any easy roads for advancing for any A10 teams.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Just when you start to feel good about the tournament, along comes Skip Baylis (?).
He desribed yesterday games as evenly matched, mediocre basketball.
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

ramfan85 wrote:Just when you start to feel good about the tournament, along comes Skip Baylis (?).
He desribed yesterday games as evenly matched, mediocre basketball.
As I said in another thread, whenever SB says something it just convinces me further that the opposite is true. What a colossal jackass
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Skip Bayless is the ESPN version of Michael Felger.
He's a contrarian, just to attract attention to his idiotic
comments.
Wonder how his shrine to Tim Tebow is coming along?
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Ramtastico
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Ramtastico »

yesterday was great except having to listen to Bill Raftery's nauseating voice for four games. What a drunk POS
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

Watch out for Mercer today. Senior laden team (5 seniors starting), shades of "Dunk City", Fla. Gulf Coast of last year. Not sure if they'll win, but I anticipate a close game for most of the day. I may be wrong, but to me, yesterday was the best and most competitive first day of the tournament in my lifetime. Half the games either went to OT, or were decided by 2 possessions or less. Incredible, and the reason why it's the greatest playoff system in sports. Enjoy the games today!
BCRhody03
Steve Chubin

Unread post by BCRhody03 »

I'd pay good money to hear Gus Johnson announcing these games again. He was born to announce this tournament.
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

Shame he signed with Fox Sports, although probably getting a boatload more money. His call of UCLA-Gonzaga in 06 is still the best call ever in my opinion.
BCRhody03
Steve Chubin

BPR2010 wrote:Shame he signed with Fox Sports, although probably getting a boatload more money. His call of UCLA-Gonzaga in 06 is still the best call ever in my opinion.
Ya it was great being able to listen to him during big east games bu it's not the same.

My earliest Gus Johnson memory was from Vermonts upset over Syracuse. "SORRENTINE!!! HE HIT THAT ONE FROM THE PARKING LOT"!

That UCLA Gonzaga call was epic. My other favorite one of his was the K State Xavier game from a few years back. Jordan Crawford was hitting shots from everywhere and Gus's voice hit levels that I didn't know were possible for a human being to hit.
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

That Vermont game with TJ was fantastic, forgot about that. I just had so much hatred for Adam Morrison that season, such a memorable game. I believe there's a soundboard out there with all of his calls for tournament games. Came out a few years back, always get nostalgic when I listen to it. He was absolutely the best announcer in these types of games.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Why would you hate Adam Morrison? Guy was self injecting insulin during games,
just to play.
Even though his was destroyed by injuries and illness, and didn't make it in
the NBA, doesn't detract from a remarkable collegiate career.
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

It's in the same vain that I hated Derek Jeter for years. Great college player, bitter about a Maui Invitational game against Sparty where he absolutely torched us in a triple OT game. Think he dropped 45 or something. Respect was always there for him, hated him because he was good.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Ah! That's different. It was 43 points vs. MSU.
Speaking of UVM, anyone remember the game Taylor Coppenrath and company put on Syracuse
in the NCAAs?
Vermont may have played in a lesser conference, but they always brought
their A game to the dance.
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

Those 2 (Coppenrath and Sorrentine) had the perfect inside-out game for that team. Always great to see a local kid make noise on the national stage. Thanks for the clarification on Morrison, he had an amazing game that night in Maui. One of those nights where no matter what scheme or player you put on him, it wasn't going to matter. He didn't have much help with those teams though.
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

Oh, and Mercer down 1 at the half. Knew they'd give the Dukies a test. Didn't pick them to win, but would absolutely love a major upset to start the day.
BCRhody03
Steve Chubin

BPR2010 wrote:That Vermont game with TJ was fantastic, forgot about that. I just had so much hatred for Adam Morrison that season, such a memorable game. I believe there's a soundboard out there with all of his calls for tournament games. Came out a few years back, always get nostalgic when I listen to it. He was absolutely the best announcer in these types of games.

I watch this video a few times a year and it produces gossebumps every time. Gus Johnson at his finest.

Rod, they have highlights from the UVM Cuse game in that video too. I remember picking that upset and going crazy when Sorrentine hit that 30 foot 3 pointer. If I remember correctly Coppenrath had something like 27 pts and 15 rebounds that game.
BCRhody03
Steve Chubin

Ugh I'm pulling for Duke only because my bracket is still perfect. Can't stand them either.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Would love to see Mercer (or anyone) beat Coach K-mart's team. What would the tournament be without Duke playing in NC. How does that state always host this thing?
True about Bay-less. He's a real shock-jock of sports.
Raftery gives me a headache. He sounds like a 12 yr. old.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

BPR2010 wrote:I believe there's a soundboard out there with all of his calls for tournament games.
http://www.gusjohnsongetsbuckets.com/
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Mercer up by 3 in the 2nd half. They're a poised team, starting 5 seniors. I don't know if they can hang on, but it's nice to see the Dukies get a run for their money.
Slava Ukraini!
BCRhody03
Steve Chubin

Well Nebraska is playing like dog shit, unless they turn it around my billion dollar dream is history. "Rooting" for duke is making me nautious, don't think I can do it anymore. Lets go Mercer.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

go Mercer, I have Duke losing their next game anyway
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

I'm watching the Duke game, too. Waiting to see how Mercer gets screwed. Duke in NC is like pro wrestling.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

That should have been a backcourt violation on Duke. I saw one of these called yesterday that was less obvious than this one. I hope Mercer gets rediculously hot these next 8 minutes. I want Duke to lose almost as bad as I want PC to lose tonight. Please.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Coach K and his tough schedule in the ACC - ha.
Shaka Smart must be rooting feverishly for Mercer. Wonder if Coach K apologizes like our own Jim Donalson did. I hope Duke loses this one sooooo bad.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Wow .... that was an NBA three that tied the game at 63.
Slava Ukraini!
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

Keep in mind, they lost in Greensboro 2 years ago against Lehigh. Not so sure a "screwjob" is in for Mercer. Duke lives and dies by the 3, that will decide this game.
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Come on, Mercer!!!
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

Not bad to make a little supplemental income as well as pools. Mercer +13 for the game was a steal today. But referring to my earlier post, a team starting 5 seniors, should always be taken seriously. Especially ones this talented.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Fire Coach K!
Slava Ukraini!