A10 vs ACC / Barclay's

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

A10 vs ACC / Barclay's

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

URIGONZO
ARD

Re: A10 vs ACC / Barclay's

Unread post by URIGONZO »

That would be nice to get some sort of non-conference scheduling agreement with the ACC.
From the Standpoint of Sitting Down.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Thx for the link, ECR.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Interesting...I would definitely take the side of the agreement that the A10 proposed - move the tournament to earlier in the week, and have an in-season scheduling deal.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Don't expect much good from any scheduling deal with the ACC. There is no way they would put forth Duke, UNC, and Syracuse for these games. It would likely involve bottom tier ACC teams like BC, GT, Va Tech, Miami, and Clemson.
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

As long as the A10 tournament is still nationally televised, I think even a marginal scheduling deal with the ACC (such as the one RF1 suggested is likely) is more of a plus than having a late-in-the-week tournament. We might even be able to get better tv coverage as we'd be competing with "lesser" conferences.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

where do you think we will land for our tourney in 2017 or 2018 ?

I guess I would prefer wash over philly (?)
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Any exposure at this point is good exposure…...
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I put this comment on the ESPN article (as unrealistic as it may seem):

It would be great if they could combine the A10 and ACC tourneys and have consecutive double headers. Assuming the Barclays center would be amenable to it, start on say a Monday, and one game from each conference per session. The Championship day could be a double header - A10 followed by ACC. From the article, this may not work for the Barclay center, but I think it would give true basketball fans an opportunity to see games and teams in other conferences they normally wouldn't see.

At any rate, I don't think the A10 should give up that great venue without good compensation with the ACC. A series of home and home games, plus some regular season games at Barclay would be a nice start.

I also think the A10 should stay at Barclay Center in the years the ACC doesn't.

At the very least, if they did share the venue for the week in 2017, even if there weren't mixed double headers, our championship game should be a double header with them on the Sunday. I don't want our champ game before Selection weekend.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
steviep123
Sly Williams

I also think playing in Nassau is out of the question.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

It would be funny if the NBE got bumped to an early week tournament and we held the Barclay's against the ACC.

Obviously the ACC will eventually be the unquestioned top conference but if they choose to muscle the BE to an early week tournament that would make my day.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
steviep123
Sly Williams

I wrote an email to Jay DeFruscio Associate Commissioner Men's bball regular season and championship director. If we do concede the Barclay's Center to the ACC, I want ample compensation. While I realize what I wrote above in my previous post is probably a pipe dream, I see no reason why, at the very least that the semi finals and finals of both conferences could share days. Semifinal day could be one game from each conference in each double header, and then the Championship day be another double header. It's a bit outside the box and would get people talking.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Why couldn't a mock schedule like this work? Would be hectic but would be a whole lot of fun.

Monday (Combined):

11:00 - A10 12 v 13
1:30 - ACC 9 v 16
4:00 - ACC 12 v 13
7:30 - ACC 10 v 15
10:00 - ACC 11 v 14

Tuesday (ACC):
12:00 - 8 v 9
2:30 - 5 v 12
7:00 - 7 v 10
9:30 - 6 v 11

Wednesday (A10):
12:00 - 8 v 9
2:30 - 5 v 12
7:00 - 7 v 10
9:30 - 6 v 11

Thursday (ACC Quarters):
12:00 - 1 v 8
2:30 - 4 v 5
7:00 - 3 v 6
9:30 - 2 v 7

Friday (A10 Quarters):
12:00 - 1 v 8
2:30 - 4 v 5
7:00 - 3 v 6
9:30 - 2 v 7

Saturday:
12:00 - A10 1 seed (ish)
2:30 - ACC 2 seed (ish)
7:00 - ACC 1 seed (ish)
9:30 - A10 2 seed (ish)

Sunday:
11:00 -A10 Championship
1:30 - ACC Championship
steviep123
Sly Williams

I love it! One crazy week! The A10 adds Davidson next year, so we'd need an 11 vs 14 in there as well somehow.

Even if the A10 agrees to move some the tourney to earlier in the week, I think the Sat and Sun should be both conferences there!
Bleed Keaney Blue!

bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

From what I read, I don't like the idea of the A-10 being farmed-out to Uniondale. Also, what-the-hell is the A-10 thinking about in regards to leaving Brooklyn after 2017?!?!?!?!?!? The rotating nonsense of yesteryear?????? NO EFFIN' THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
steviep123
Sly Williams

The original deal was from last year through 2017. While I would love to see them in there long term, at the very least have it there most years. I think it's good for the league.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/15/sport ... .html?_r=0

Th NY Times is reporting that it is basically a done deal. The A-10 might play out in a renovated Nassau Coliseum which recently came under Barclays management. It is a smaller venue but is further out on long Island in a suburban location by a mall right next to Hofstra. The A-10 may get a scheduling deal with the ACC. If that is the case, this deal better benefit all A-10 teams equally and not just a select few. I will be pissed if teams such as VCU, SLU, St Joe's, and GW gets games and URI gets zilch.
Last edited by RF1 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Man RJ that would be so awesome. The ACC would never go for it, but damn would it be fun.
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

I personally wouldn't mind a rotation between the Barclays and Verizon center and maybe toss in another venue or two if need be. Reading the ACC board, the fans are actually excited about the non-conference scheduling agreement with the A-10, already naming teams that they would want to play for recruiting purposes. Sounds like a win win.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

I think even doing ACC at Barclay's and A10 at Nassau until the semis then both semis at Barclay's on Saturday and both finals at Barclay's on Sunday. Give A10 Saturday primetime, give ACC last game before selection show
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Nassau is the biggest dump in America and I believe is due to be torn down at some point.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Barclay's owns Nassau.
They have received approval for a $229 million rennovation. Seating will reduce from 18k to 13k.
http://www.newsday.com/long-island/nass ... -1.6815650
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I don't mind giving up the Barclays early if the ACC is willing to enter a scheduling agreement with the A10. Why shouldn't the two deepest leagues on the east coast have a scheduling agreement?
steviep123
Sly Williams

Does anyone know anything more about this situation? I still don't think the A10 should give up the Barclays Center without fair compensation. I still like any idea that includes (at the very least) a combined A10 and ACC semis and championships at the Barclays.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I just don't see a combined A10 and ACC tourney at the Barclay's.

Not happening. The A10 right now, has leverage toward making a deal for regular season games between the two.

If the ACC balks, screw them. Keep the 2017 tourney the way it is. What's the big deal about that year anyway?

I would love to see home and homes between the two leagues, but I doubt it will happen either. Any deal will likely involve the A10 and ACC playing OOC games in NY.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The 15 team ACC got six NCAA bids, the same as the 13 team A-10. The A-10 knocked out two ACC teams in the only meetings of the conferences in the tournament. Both leagues have one team remaining in the Sweet-16.
Last edited by RF1 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Let's not delude ourselves folks.....BCS conferences have more weight to throw around....the A-10 doesn't generate the $ or interest to battle the ACC....
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We know that. The ACC has football and a big TV contract.

But the BB only A10 is doing quite well right now thank you.

We can only be good at what we have.
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

You have football. It's just not relevant.
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

seanmc94 wrote:You have football. It's just not relevant.
And you have yourself, and you're not relevant.
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

I'm sorry; are the A-10 schools that play football relevant?
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

seanmc94 wrote:I'm sorry; are the A-10 schools that play football relevant?
I didn't say they were. I just said that neither are you.
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

It's been a long time; am I supposed to say "I'm rubber; you're glue" or "Nyah, Nyah Nyah Nyah"?
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

seanmc94 wrote:You have football. It's just not relevant.
Actually, the A-10 doesn't have football.
Rhode Island is in the CAA.
steviep123
Sly Williams

seanmc94 wrote:I'm sorry; are the A-10 schools that play football relevant?
Who in the A10 plays football in Division 1A/FBS or whatever it's being called these days (BCS)? Just UMass as far as I know and they are not in one of the big BCS conferences.

So while most of the A10 members that play football are in the FCS it's not the same as big time college football.

That said, above what I wrote about the A10 and ACC sharing tournament days, I do realize it is unlikely to happen. But as a college basketball fan, it would be incredible to see.

Regardless, the A10 shouldn't cow tow to the ACC. We have the rights for the center in 2017 and we shouldn't give them up unless sufficient compensation is given in return.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Again, what's the big deal about 2017?

Couldn't the ACC just wait until 2018, and sign a new contract with the Barclay's, and the A10 is out?

If I'm Bernadette, she can't get too greedy about 2017, or that could happen, and we end up with nothing?
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

rambone 78 wrote:We know that. The ACC has football and a big TV contract.

But the BB only A10 is doing quite well right now thank you.

We can only be good at what we have.
Barclay's doesn't care about football. It cares about attendance at the arena and maybe the eyeballs watching it. They don't care about how many teams get in to the NCAA tournament. The reality is Cuse, ND, Pitt, Duke and even BC, UVA are going to fill that place up. Big NYC alumni cores from those schools. I would be very careful about demanding too much if I were the A10. I don't care how pretty they make it. Nassau Coliseum is a dump.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I'm with gbg on this.....we should play out our contract and find a new home at the end of it.....I don't envision there is a "better deal" clause in there by which Barclays can void it out ....
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The A10 board is reporting that the ACC post season tourney will be at the Barclay's starting in 2017.

In return, the A10 gets OOC games with the ACC at the Barclay's starting that season 2016-17.

Details will be announced Wednesday, according to the post.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

agreed, we are in no position to be driving a hard bargain with Barclays or the ACC. if they will give us some OOC games, great, play it out at Barclays and find a new home. no big deal. the snarky football comment is ban worthy, trolling at its finest.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The ACC A10 agreement is now complete. ACC gets to hold their Tournament at Barclay's in 2017 and 2018.

A-10 agreed to move out of its contract a year early in exchange for:
1. A 3 year commitment to hold its tournament at the Barclays in 2019-21
2. Multiple non-conference doubleheaders with the ACC and A-10
3. A10 received a guarantee that it will have a presence in the now annual college basketball events held in the non-conference at Barclays

The A-10 is now seeking a home for the 2017 and 2018 tournament and will look to place it in its geographic footprint with possibilities looming with Washington D.C., Pittsburgh, Philadelphia and now Charlotte with the addition of Davidson as a new member in 2014-15.

Great that McGlade made the original agreement with the Barclays to even get in a position of negotiation regarding the last year of the contract. Without the original agreement we would have no such leverage.

To get 3 more years, agreement to play doubleheaders with the ACC and to get invites to future games at teh Barclays seems pretty darn good..............plus we get to go play the tournament at other sites and still return to the Barclays in the future.
Best A10 Leader we have ever had imho.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mens-colleg ... per-source
steviep123
Sly Williams

This is a good deal - assuming the double headers are A10 vs. ACC team and not an A10 game followed by an ACC game. While the latter would be acceptable and a good presence, I'd prefer to have them in competition at the Barclays. If URI plays there I may have to make the trip.

Great job getting the center back for another 3 years after the ACC too.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Sounds like a solid deal for the conference, let's hope that URI benefits directly (and not just VCU, SLU, SJU, etc)
steviep123
Sly Williams

(Assuming they had a say in this, I'm sure PC officials would balk), but I'd love to see the A10 at the Dunk in 2017 or 18.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Great deal for the A10. Get a lot in return for not giving up all that much. Moving the tournament to DC for two years, for instance, would not be a huge loss and may even be considered a good thing knowing that you get to come back to Barclays afterwards.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Yeah. Looks like there will be some kind of site rotation set up down the road, other than 2019-21.

Would still like to see Mohegan get it for a year at some point. The southern end of the conference will get the tourney in their area for 2017-18. The northern end needs to be represented too eventually. Although I guess NY is more toward the northern end.

I'm sure the ACC still has their eyes set on MSG, but that's going to be a while.
steviep123
Sly Williams

DC would be great too - I'd def go. Have plenty of friends in the area.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I hope the games versus ACC teams include the Rams and all A-10 teams. I fear that this could end up being another benefit given to only select A-10 teams.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I think all A10 teams will get to play in them, but it might take a couple of years to get everybody involved.

Hope so, anyway.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

DC is for me. Exciting. Basically a10 will be doing the same thing the ACC is doing. That's pretty cool.

Pretty sure if the a10 plays the David to the acc's Goliath we will enjoy it.

Espn games. Could be fun.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry