Jeremiah Ingram, 6'7" F Colby CC (Offer)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Re: Jeremiah Ingram, 6'7

Unread post by Blue Man »

RoadyJay wrote:VCU had 10 guys at 10+ minutes per game last year. And another averaged 9.

I see 6 averaged 20+ and 3 averaged 10+, then 1 other guy averaged 9

First, VCU uses 4 guards for most of the game. I don't see us having the talent to do that, so we'll be with 3 guards/2 forwards.

If we are to do this by VCU math...

Guards - 29.0 (EC) 28.3 (Terrell) 26.8 (Garrett) 16.3 (Buchanan) 10.6 (Minnis)

Forwards - 28.0 (Martin) 22.4 (Hare) 21.8 (Biruta) 14.5 (Watson)

You would honestly give the 8.9 minutes to JR? Not get a couple more out of these established guys?

What happens if Ingram commits?

I don't see how JR touches the floor for meaningful minutes.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Re: Jeremiah Ingram, 6'7" F Colby CC (Offer)

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

So, in light of today's signing, what's the deal
with Butler?
TJ, Biggie, Garrett, EC and Terrell. Maybe Powell. That's five
or six guys ahead of him.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Someone has to be 13.

Bide your time and work to get minutes later in your college career or leave, no hard feelings on either side.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

When you're walking the APR tightrope you have to try to keep everyone happy. One of the reasons they didn't take Gustys was that they didn't want to bring in three bigs (Watson, Hare, Gustys) and completely bury Iffy. Plus, the coaches think Iffy still has potential.
But, obviously, when you have the chance to bring in someone like Terrell then you take the risk of someone like Butler leaving. Hopefully, with Powell and Hare coming back/staying, Hurley has enough APR wiggle room to absorb Butler leaving, if that's what he chooses to do.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I'm with Rod, by crunch time in the season you want a solid 7-8 man rotation, with 2-3 add'l guys to go to only in case of emergency (extreme foul trouble, injuries, etc). Continuity and meshing on the court is a huge obstacle for a young team with a lot of new faces, you will hamper the development of that by shuffling in dozens of different player combinations. Use the first 10-12 games to figure out the rotation, and then give the minutes to the best 7-8 guys that prove themselves over that period. if i were a betting man i would go with EC, Hassan, Gil, Hare, Garrett, Biggie, Watson and JT as our first 8 by the time conf play rolls around.

What about Iffy, do you consider red-shirting him? He would be a prime candidate given his body and athleticism but rawness in terms of skill....but given his eligibility status is that even an option?
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

No, that is not an option for Iffy.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

bigappleram wrote:I'm with Rod, by crunch time in the season you want a solid 7-8 man rotation, with 2-3 add'l guys to go to only in case of emergency (extreme foul trouble, injuries, etc). Continuity and meshing on the court is a huge obstacle for a young team with a lot of new faces, you will hamper the development of that by shuffling in dozens of different player combinations. Use the first 10-12 games to figure out the rotation, and then give the minutes to the best 7-8 guys that prove themselves over that period. if i were a betting man i would go with EC, Hassan, Gil, Hare, Garrett, Biggie, Watson and JT as our first 8 by the time conf play rolls around.

What about Iffy, do you consider red-shirting him? He would be a prime candidate given his body and athleticism but rawness in terms of skill....but given his eligibility status is that even an option?
I'll defer to Ace if she has the scoop, but my first thought is that they already burned a year of his eligibility in 2012-13. As it is, they will have to appeal to get that back. My guess is that the NCAA wouldn't give him a sixth year to play four; I don't even think that it is assured they will give him the fifth year to play his fourth season (although I do think that is more likely than not).
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Plus lets not forget that these things end up having ways of working themselves out. All it takes is an injury or two and Iffy becomes very much needed.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I was just told that that as recently as early this afternoon, they were still working on Ingram.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Aahhh.. there's some news on Ingram. Glad I read through all the other posts.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I heard they're trying to see if they can raise their cap on the number of allowable J name players to 5.

And if they add Jeremiah to Jared and Jarvis, I'm calling Watson Jearl, just for the sake of class continuity.

But really? Jordan, Jared, Jarvis, Jarelle.
Last edited by ace 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

ace wrote:I heard they're trying to see if they can raise their cap on the number of allowable J name players to 5.

And if they add Jeremiah to Jared and Jarvis, I'm calling Watson Jearl, just for the sake of class continuity.
I see you've started your celebratory beers!
Slava Ukraini!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Rhody74 wrote:
ace wrote:I heard they're trying to see if they can raise their cap on the number of allowable J name players to 5.

I see you've started your celebratory beers!
Nah, I can still say Jordan, Jared, Jarvis, Jarelle without getting tripped up!
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

ace wrote:Someone has to be 13.

Bide your time and work to get minutes later in your college career or leave, no hard feelings on either side.
Agree with this re: Butler. And although I've argued that he probably isn't going to be an All-A10 player or anything, I think his one above-average skill - 3-point shooting - is something the team could benefit from. Meaning, he should be working on improving 1) his defense and 2) his ability to shoot corner 3s. His path to playing time at URI is probably as an off-the-bench shooter, or if the program has widespread injuries in his later years.
rams13
Jim Eitner

Unread post by rams13 »

Sorry if I am late on this. I realize we signed Garrett and Terrell, but why does Mike Powell's name keep coming up? Whats the deal there. I thought he was ready to leave?
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

rams13 wrote:Sorry if I am late on this. I realize we signed Garrett and Terrell, but why does Mike Powell's name keep coming up? Whats the deal there. I thought he was ready to leave?
This information was made public today. There's also talk of him walking-on.

Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Ingram is now on hold.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Billyboy78 wrote:Ingram is now on hold.
Imagine that
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

We'll see what happens.

Conflicting reports here.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

You won't be hearing anything anytime soon.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

The Rhode Island Blue J's?
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

ramfan85 wrote:The Rhode Island Blue J's?
J Crew.
'No Mercy.'
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Did we figure out whether or not Powell with be a scholarship or not?
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Update: I guess we did. So now let's debate lineups and why mike powell is back!

Give to Rhody's NIL
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Re: Jeremiah Ingram, 6'7

Unread post by RoadyJay »

I enjoyed Koch b-slapping you BlueMan

sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Blue Man wrote:
"Barring additional movement." He's a reporter, so he can't speculate or announce things that have not officially come from the University. This doesn't mean that Powell is using a scholarship, since it hasn't been announced that he's walking on or otherwise.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I miss the lod days when everything about scholarships seemed so much simler. Now it's like a soap opera. lol
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Surprised that there hasn't been any news on Ingram yet. Does anyone know if the 5/20 signing period deadline applies to JUCO's as well? Also, did he actually sign a LOI for SJSU? If so, that would seem to put him in the same boat as JT, who had to sign a "scholarship agreement" instead of a LOI. Does the same time frame apply to "scholarship agreements" as LOIs?
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

SF, if I recall correctly, Watson never signed an LOI - he instead just enrolled in the University. Perhaps that's also an option for Ingram, which means that any potential "player movement" wouldn't have to be resolved by tomorrow.

EDIT: yeah, read through this page: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2357&start=100

Watson forewent singing an LOI.
Ram Stampede!!!
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Ram Stampede!!! »

So the Powell scholarship opened up and we never heard anything new. Maybe because of the phantom recruit that is Charles Cooke? Either way we still have a slot open. I wonder if DH will save it for the future.
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

As per Twitter.... Who else is possible? Or save it for 2015.

twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

probably save it
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Cooke is visiting Thursday, isn't he?
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I think the scholarship is "semi-open," so to speak. In other words, they could use it on the right player, but it isn't totally open.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Right, I'd have no problem with them holding onto it at this point unless the perfect situation presents itself.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

GOOD!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

To Hold or Not to Hold - great question for the Coach at the event this week
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I think it was Iggy that said that Dan regrets not using all the scholarships last year and probably would not do it again.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote:To Hold or Not to Hold - great question for the Coach at the event this week
It is probably worth asking about tomorrow, but I don't think the issue is really to "hold" it or not. I think the issue has more to do with APR and whether it is worth it to take the hit by moving on from a scholarship recipient before he graduates.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote:
ramster wrote:To Hold or Not to Hold - great question for the Coach at the event this week
It is probably worth asking about tomorrow, but I don't think the issue is really to "hold" it or not. I think the issue has more to do with APR and whether it is worth it to take the hit by moving on from a scholarship recipient before he graduates.
Then ask that too. Find out what the Coach really thinks - as opposed to what amounts to guessing
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
Then ask that too. Find out what the Coach really thinks - as opposed to what amounts to guessing
Why don't you write him a damn letter instead of telling other people what to talk about?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote:Why don't you write him a damn letter instead of telling other people what to talk about?
Because I will not be there this week. I admit I am not as smart as you as I admit I don't know everything about everything. I'd ask you to ask him my question but then it would come across as condescending - I do know that much.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

I DO KNOW THIS, RAMSTER…….UH. I forgot what I was going to write about. Yeah, you know. Whatever it was, just ask a question and if you don't, well….JEEZ, I KEEP FORGETTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:oops: :lol: ;) :oops: :lol: ;) :oops: :lol: ;) :oops: :lol: ;) :oops: :lol: ;) :oops: :lol: ;) :oops:
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

TruePoint wrote:
ramster wrote:
TruePoint wrote:It is probably worth asking about tomorrow, but I don't think the issue is really to "hold" it or not. I think the issue has more to do with APR and whether it is worth it to take the hit by moving on from a scholarship recipient before he graduates.
Why don't you write him a damn letter instead of telling other people what to talk about?
Wow! Whaaaat????
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

RAMSTER: I now remember what it was!!!!!!!! If you were going and I couldn't attend, and I had a question for you to ask on my behalf, I'm sure that you'd graciously ask it on my behalf……
And I'd THANK YOU VERY MUCH…
8-) :lol: 8-) :lol: 8-) :lol: 8-) :lol: 8-) :lol: 8-) :lol: 8-) :lol: 8-)
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bressler3south wrote:RAMSTER: I now remember what it was!!!!!!!! If you were going and I couldn't attend, and I had a question for you to ask on my behalf, I'm sure that you'd graciously ask it on my behalf……
Bressler,
I would not expect your or TP to provide me with any questions for the Coach because both of you know everything anyway.
So the point is moot.
If by chance you did have a question for the Head Coach would you include all of your childish emoticons with your email to him?
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

ramster wrote:
bressler3south wrote:RAMSTER: I now remember what it was!!!!!!!! If you were going and I couldn't attend, and I had a question for you to ask on my behalf, I'm sure that you'd graciously ask it on my behalf……

Bressler,
I would not expect your or TP to provide me with any questions for the Coach because both of you know everything anyway.
So the point is moot.
If by chance you did have a question for the Head Coach would you include all of your childish emoticons with your email to him?
RAMSTER………My comments were in SUPPORT OF YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You were treated like garbage, as far as I was concerned. (Childish emoticons and all.)
P.S. I don't e-mail Coach Hurley. P.P.S. I don't have "Emoticon Enabled E-Mail" anyway.
P.P.P.S. I neither know everything, nor much of anything, Ramster. That's why I read KeaneyBlue.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I think it's a little melodramatic to say ramster was treated like garbage. He was treated like someone being a little unreasonable. I tried to help shed a little light on the scholarship situation. Ramster didn't like the information (I guess? Not really too sure what his issue actually was). But the bigger point is that the event tonight is not an interrogation. I'm not going to be peppering people with questions and demanding a certain degree of detail in response, especially to questions that I think I already know the answer to. Also, I'm not a reporter. It isn't my job to get information for people. I was serious about that: if you think the coach will answer your question and you really want to know, email him.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

"But the bigger point is that the event tonight is not an interrogation. "

WHAT? I was prepared to water board people tonight, to get answers!
Failing that, I have jumper cables ready.
If all else fails, my number one backup for getting information is showing them my
Donald Sterling sex tape or the disgustingly gross ending to the last episode of
Game of Thrones.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Billyboy78 wrote:I think it was Iggy that said that Dan regrets not using all the scholarships last year and probably would not do it again.
Leaving it open doesn't hurt the APR but it doesn't help it either. Makes more sense to bring in a fifth-year transfer who you know will do well in the classroom. Also gives you some depth in case you have injuries or other problems. I think that's the way they go if they don't get Cooke.