Jeremiah Ingram, 6'7" F Colby CC (Offer)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Re: Jeremiah Ingram, 6'7" F Colby CC (Offer)

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Isn't it difficult to transfer into a Catholic school (unless the student is already in one) because of the religious courses required to graduate?
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

ramfan85 wrote:Isn't it difficult to transfer into a Catholic school (unless the student is already in one) because of the religious courses required to graduate?
Oh, my God!!!!!!!!!!!!
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Looks like Ingram's recruitment has joined Terrell's in terms of news.

In other words, both have fallen into a black hole.

Crickets.

Something's gotta give here soon. 5 days left.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Does URI want both Terrell and Ingram, or are they both wings so they only want one?
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

IIRC, someone associated with the program (could have been Hurley) said that once it became clear that Hare was returning, the recruiting focus shifted to wing/guard. I would imagine that we have a spot for both of them.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I never saw it as an either/or situation. One is more of an inside player, whereas Terrell
is a pure guard.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I would agree with that, Rod. I don't think Terrell is holding up Ingram's decision.

Of course, there might be someone else in the wings. Not that we would know of course.

Trying to find out anything of substance going on with recruiting right now, is like trying to open a big quahog with your fingers.

Not going to happen.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

rodfromcranston wrote:I never saw it as an either/or situation. One is more of an inside player, whereas Terrell
is a pure guard.
Different games but same position: third guard or small forward. Hurley is trying to sell JT that he would be the third guard in a 3-guard offense. If Hurley takes a SF, we can say goodbye to JT, who already showed at OK St. that he's very aware of who else plays his position.
I think Ingram recruitment is being held up until JT makes a decision.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

If Terrell doesn't think he could beat out a juco who can't shoot.
he's got problems.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

It would be nice to have options. SF or 3rd guard, whatever.

Unless JR improves dramatically, there's a hole that needs to be filled.

I don't have confidence that he will, either.
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

JT is being told he'll be a starter at guard along with EC/unnamed point guard. I see Ingram as being competition for Jarelle. I don't think a commitment from Ingram removes us from Terrell's consideration.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Exactly!
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

sf2010 wrote:JT is being told he'll be a starter at guard along with EC/unnamed point guard. I see Ingram as being competition for Jarelle. I don't think a commitment from Ingram removes us from Terrell's consideration.
Sorry, but this makes no sense. Whether you it call it the third guard or SF, Terrell, Ingram and Jarelle would be competing with each other for minutes. None of them are going to play the 4 or 5 over the options Hurley has.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I see it as Reischel and Ingram competing for the first off the bench spot.
Terrell getting starter's minutes.
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Iggy1979 wrote: Sorry, but this makes no sense. Whether you it call it the third guard or SF, Terrell, Ingram and Jarelle would be competing with each other for minutes. None of them are going to play the 4 or 5 over the options Hurley has.
Jarelle is not going to be a starter next year, unless he improves drastically over the summer and we whiff on Terrell. Ingram/Jarelle would back up Hassan/Gil in the front court if we went with a small lineup, or replace one of the guards in a bigger lineup, but both of them would be off the bench and not receiving the sort of minutes that are being promised to Terrell.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I'd like to know what Dan knows about this situation. He's got to have some idea of what's going on with these recruits.
If JT is looking for a written guarantee that a school will never recruit another guard while he's there, he could be looking for a long time.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Interesting note here:

rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Well, since it's public, Powell is said to be coming back as a
walk-on.
This is clearly a win-win. It will help the APR, and gives Dan
a PG who started for two and a half years.
Great move.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Well, since it's public, Powell is said to be coming back as a
walk-on.
This is clearly a win-win. It will help the APR, and gives Dan
a PG who started for two and a half years.
Great move.
If he comes back as a walk-on, wouldn't that free his scholarship?
Slava Ukraini!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Yes, supposedly he's found his own financing for next year.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Wow, talk about an attitude adjustment .... not that he had many alternatives if he wanted to play.
Slava Ukraini!
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

About Powell, Good!! I hope he does come back on a walk-on basis. I know nothing about his situation, but to me it wreaks of Sr. interference, and I'm not condemning any involved father that thinks he knows best, we all think we know best and some of us live to be ripe and old before we realize when to back off and let our loved ones live for themselves as they've been raised. Even if I'm completely off base, I'd be glad to have him back for team solidarity reasons and better competition all around makes for better game play, I'm happy to consider Powell a member of the fRamily! Stay with us Mike, it's going to be some fun! (and a lot of hard work as you know, but nothing beats team success! it's a feeling you can't achieve solo).
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

So, if Powell is back on scholarship, Ingram is out.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Would seem so.
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

That seems to be the case billy... Bill Koch mentioned that since Powell has last open scholly that unless there is any other player movement that URI would be done with recruiting
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

We have conflicting reports here. Koch says scholarship and doesn't mention him rejoining the team; Rod says rejoining the team as a walk-on
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

Billyboy78 wrote:So, if Powell is back on scholarship, Ingram is out.
Now this is just depressing.

Why.

Why God WHY
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote:So, if Powell is back on scholarship, Ingram is out.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Re: Jeremiah Ingram, 6'7

RoadyJay wrote:
Not that Ingram is some Terrell-like stud - but the 6'7 wing that we do not know is A BAGILLION TIMES BETTER THAN THE MIKE POWELL OR JARELLE REISCHEL THAT WE DO

Give to Rhody's NIL
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Haha oh man Blue Man you have so many emotions going on right now.

Let's just hope that this works out the way Rod said it might...
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

You're underestimating Reischel. I'm not. He played well under his abilities last year, that I agree. But I expect you'll see a different player next season
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

RoadyJay wrote:You're underestimating Reischel. I'm not. He played well under his abilities last year, that I agree. But I expect you'll see a different player next season
I was more deserving of an academic scholarship than Reischel is of a basketball one and I graduated with a 2.38.

I'm not underestimating. I was 91% accurate in my assessments of JR when he got the ball in his hand on the court this year. Whether it was "dumb pass, dumb turnover, miss layup, miss shot, not look for pass, be in the wrong place, miss assignment" - whatever it was, if I can predict something terrible that's not under expectations, those are my expectations.

My expectations were for him to suck. He was actually a negative impact on the court when he was out there. He couldn't even meet those expectations.

That being said - this is the deepest, most talented team URI has had in well over a decade. JR, Powell and Matt Butler can party on the end of the bench.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

I believe JR's contributions will be affective and while he may not end up being some star or even a true glue guy, lets see how things go with a full roster of quality players playing their preferred positions. I think JR did show some potential, but was a bit timid and slow to make the good decision at times, he was pressed into service often out of position. He's going into his junior season and its all hands on deck.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote:
RoadyJay wrote:You're underestimating Reischel. I'm not. He played well under his abilities last year, that I agree. But I expect you'll see a different player next season
I was more deserving of an academic scholarship than Reischel is of a basketball one and I graduated with a 2.38.

I'm not underestimating. I was 91% accurate in my assessments of JR when he got the ball in his hand on the court this year. Whether it was "dumb pass, dumb turnover, miss layup, miss shot, not look for pass, be in the wrong place, miss assignment" - whatever it was, if I can predict something terrible that's not under expectations, those are my expectations.

My expectations were for him to suck. He was actually a negative impact on the court when he was out there. He couldn't even meet those expectations.

That being said - this is the deepest, most talented team URI has had in well over a decade. JR, Powell and Matt Butler can party on the end of the bench.
Agree 100% with you BlueMan. I do not expect to see a different JR next year - I have no reason to expect any difference other than marginally better. His potential for playing time took a big hit with the addition of Hare and Terrell.
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

ramster/BlueMan

I think you're both underestimating the change in style of play.. You'll see a much more up tempo style compared to the last two years compared. That means more players getting more minutes and very few players, if any, much over 30 mins per game. Think VCU.

This will mean that JR will see the floor and get ~15 minutes game
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RoadyJay wrote:ramster/BlueMan

I think you're both underestimating the change in style of play.. You'll see a much more up tempo style compared to the last two years compared. That means more players getting more minutes and very few players, if any, much over 30 mins per game. Think VCU.

Roady,
EC Mathews averaged 36.0 minutes per game in the 16 A10 games last year. I would be very, very surprised and disappointed if EC gets only 30 minutes per game this year as you say. I would hope he plays more than the 36 of last year.
JR may get 15 but those are going to be a tough 15 minutes to wrestle away from the likes of Biruta, Hare, Martin, Mathews, Buchanan, Garrett, Terrell, Minnis....................
Let the battle for Minutes begin.
Competition is a wonderful thing.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

ramster wrote:

Roady,
EC Mathews averaged 36.0 minutes per game in the 16 A10 games last year. I would be very, very surprised and disappointed if EC gets only 30 minutes per game this year as you say. I would hope he plays more than the 36 of last year.
JR may get 15 but those are going to be a tough 15 minutes to wrestle away from the likes of Biruta, Hare, Martin, Mathews, Buchanan, Garrett, Terrell, Minnis....................
He was playing 36 minutes a game out of necessity because we had games where we only really had six players available. I think most coaches would rather get 30 good minutes out of a guy than 25 good minutes and 10 minutes where the guy is hunched over pulling on his shorts every chance he gets. Having the kind of depth that will allow them to play 10-11 guys a night (if necessary) will mean less guys playing nearly the whole game.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

No way EC and Hassan only get 25 minutes a game.
Those guys will be in most of the game, except for Doug McDermott type rests.
Terrell should eventually be in that category.
No good teams win with Chinese fire drills. VCU when they
were forced to go half court, died against an iniferior foe.
You need continuity on offense and defense. Can't do that
running people around like hockey shifts.
Last edited by rodfromcranston 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Look at VCU and tell me how many averaged over 30 min per game last year. I think you'll see similar numbers from our guys next year.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote:

Roady,

VCU plays 10 guys AT MOST. Even that is rare. For the most part they play 8. Say that it's 9 on average -

From this rotation of players:

Matthews, Martin, Terrell, Hare, Garrett, Biruta, Watson, Buchanan, Minnis...

Who do you take out for Reischel?

We know we're playing a 3 guard lineup. No way does an uptempo style mean that EC takes LESS minutes this year. Certainly not so few minutes that we need JR to step in to provide that key-turnover or key-missed shot spark to force us to dig deep and come back.

Give to Rhody's NIL
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

rodfromcranston wrote:No way EC and Hassan only get 25 minutes a game.
Those guys will be in most of the game, except for Doug McDermott type rests.
Terrell should eventually be in that category.
No good teams win with Chinese fire drills. VCU when they
were forced to go half court, died against an iniferior foe.
You need continuity on offense and defense. Can't do that
running people around like hockey shifts.
I agree. Not sure if your mentioning 25 minutes was in response to me, but if it was you misunderstood what I was saying. I think you should expect to see our best players playing just over 30 minutes per game, probably closer to 32-33 minutes than 30. I just think at some point you reach diminishing returns with minutes for a player. That point is different for each guy, probably, but in any case I think playing guys 36-37 minutes a night you are risking not having good legs at crunch time.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Jeremiah Ingram, 6'7" F Colby CC (Offer)

VCU had 10 guys at 10+ minutes per game last year. And another averaged 9.
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

It's not about taking away minutes from guys. But with this style guys will need rest and I believe Reischel is going to see the floor regularly.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Wasn't aiming at you, TP. I agree with your views on playing time.
As for who finishes the game being more important than who
starts, some guy named Auerbach said that.
I don't see Dan's offense ever being VCU like. VCU's half court
is nothing special.
They rely on harum scarum defensive disruption, which needs fresh legs.
Different styles.
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

I agree we haven't played that style and vcu's half court was deficient. But we will be closer to that style than our current style
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rodfromcranston wrote:Wasn't aiming at you, TP. I agree with your views on playing time.
As for who finishes the game being more important than who
starts, some guy named Auerbach said that.
I don't see Dan's offense ever being VCU like. VCU's half court
is nothing special.
They rely on harum scarum defensive disruption, which needs fresh legs.
Different styles.
Sure Red Auerbach said it, that was not my point of whether it is more important show starts games or who finishes games - I will agree with you and Red Aurebach that it is more important who finishes games.

My point was that who starts is important to the players themselves - my point was that every kid on the team most definitely wants to start and is obsessed with starting. Every kid in that locker room wants to hear their name called by the Head Coach when he says who will be starting tonight. No kid in that room smiles and is happy to be the 6th man.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Here are the conference minutes per game from last season (minus the walkons):
  • Munford - 37.3
    Matthews - 36.2
    Biruta - 26.9
    Martin - 32.8
    Buchanan - 30.6
    Reischel - 19.9
    Minnis - 12.2
    Onyekaba - 9.6
    Butler - 6.0
I think Onyekaba and Butler will remain about the same or less, Reischel will go down to 10-12 mins per game and Biruta will remain the same. If Minnis still has scoring struggles, I don't see how he can get more minutes either. TJ will certainly see significantly less playing time. So Munford's minutes will be split mostly between Terrell and Garrett. Matthews may go down slightly so he gets a little bit of rest, especially if we're more uptempo. Watson and Hare will probably go about 15 min. each. So we're talking about:
  • Matthews 30
    Biruta 25
    Martin 30
    Buchanan 15
    Reischel 10
    Minnis 10
    Onyekaba 5
    Butler 5
    Powell 5
    Garrett 15
    Terrell 20
    Watson 15
    Hare 15
    Total 200
If everyone stays healthy, competition for playing time is going to be brutal.
Slava Ukraini!
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

I see Hare has a high-impact 15-minute player.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Rhody74 wrote:Here are the conference minutes per game from last season (minus the walkons):
  • Munford - 37.3
    Matthews - 36.2
    Biruta - 26.9
    Martin - 32.8
    Buchanan - 30.6
    Reischel - 19.9
    Minnis - 12.2
    Onyekaba - 9.6
    Butler - 6.0
I think Onyekaba and Butler will remain about the same or less, Reischel will go down to 10-12 mins per game and Biruta will remain the same. If Minnis still has scoring struggles, I don't see how he can get more minutes either. TJ will certainly see significantly less playing time. So Munford's minutes will be split mostly between Terrell and Garrett. Matthews may go down slightly so he gets a little bit of rest, especially if we're more uptempo. Watson and Hare will probably go about 15 min. each. So we're talking about:
  • Matthews 30
    Biruta 25
    Martin 30
    Buchanan 15
    Reischel 10
    Minnis 10
    Onyekaba 5
    Butler 5
    Powell 5
    Garrett 15
    Terrell 20
    Watson 15
    Hare 15
    Total 200
If everyone stays healthy, competition for playing time is going to be brutal.
Give Powell and Butler's minutes to Minnis.