New Assistant Coach candidates

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Re: New Assistant Coach candidates

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

I think this is a big hire situation. I do think Preston gave us an edge in markets we will no longer get into. But I hpoe Hurley and Thorr get the right guy.
Ram Stampede!!!
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Ram Stampede!!! »

Filling Preston's shoes is like saying that we need someone to come in right away and replace Munford (A 1000+ point scorer with a URI background)..It's not impossible..I guess. But the connections need to be there. It will be interesting and maybe even refreshing. I sucks to depend on one guy for everything and clearly it looks like it takes its toll on the man too.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

McRam wrote:
adam914 wrote:
McRam wrote: Really don't get all the "it is not fair to compare us to BCS" schools. We are either in or not, if you are telling me that URI can't find away to be competitive with an assistant coach if he is a key person, then we are forever destined to mediocrity. Somehow non BCS schools have done it in the past, Butler, VCU, Gonzaga and we can, if we want it hard enough.
Can you provide examples of when schools like Butler, VCU and Gonzaga raised an assistants salary by about 100k to keep them from a BCS school? I'm not aware of any...

we do not know what the real money that was offered. do we really think they were going to pay the #2 assistant 250K.
This is most likely an Obamaism.

the bottom line is that the successful programs do not lose key personnel, for a somewhat lateral move. ())Yes, I know that Shaka lost his key recruiter this year, but it was for a head coaching job.)
Well if not believing what was reported about the money better helps you believe your made up theory, then that's fine.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

What about Pappy Owens or Roland Houston?
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I will be SHOCKED if Dan hires an ex-URI player.

It's going to be HIS hire, not URI's.
SlyWilliamsCaddy
Michael Andersen

Unread post by SlyWilliamsCaddy »

Spent some more time reflecting on this situation over the weekend. And then on Saturday as I was sitting down to a nice beer on the deck at the ocean mist, thor and what im assuming to be his wife walked in.

Talked to him for about 5 mins about a bunch of different stuff. Just a bunch of Athletic Director jargon, you could kind of tell he wanted to be guarded about certain things, but he was extremely polite and was more then willing to talk hoops. Said that were gonna miss preston and that basically once the offer came there was no chance for us to retain him. Asked him about Jordan and all he said was that "wouldn't he have been great to have on this yrs team, hes still enrolled so hopefully we will get him back up here". Said were all gonna be very happy with what Jarvis is gonna bring to the uri family.

But anyways I asked if they had talked to any potential candidates to replace preston and he said that hes mostly leaving that up to dan and that's when I mentioned a name and take it for what its worth but thors face lit up and we talked about him for a couple more minutes. That name is fall rivers own chris herren. Hes been on campus multiple times since dan was hired, hes a national name now following the documentary, thor seemingly loves him, called it a "phenomenal story", extremely friendly with both dan and bobby (whatever that's worth). Granted he has no coaching experience, but kids worship this guy nowadays, hes a hard worker whos on the road year round with speaking engagements which means that hes already somewhat used to the lifestyle of having to travel. well connected with not only BABC but basically every other aau program in the area. Is he a big time assistant, thatll instantly equal prestons contributions? well obviously no he isn't but I think if given the right opportunity here, we could really catch lightning in a bottle with this guy. Ive seen this guy speak 3 diff times in person and he controls a room; kids look up to him, they listen to him and most of all they relate to him. Isnt that the point? Schools like duke and florida, the recruiting takes care of itself; at a place like uri, we gotta think outside the box. thoughts??
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Thanks for being in the right place at the right time!
Chris is an interesting choice, his early life well documented in Reynold's book. Can he take that positive attitude that he now has about life and convince high school seniors to come to Kingston?
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

As a recruiter Herren could be a home run.

As a coach? Hard to say. Dan might need another guy to help with the teaching and developmental end of things, along with another voice on the bench.

Still, like neil just said, an interesting choice.
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

Very interesting choice.
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I like it. He's a guy who recruits can well relate to.
Does Dan want such a strong personality on the bench?
How will Herren stand up under the pressure to perform?
I think URI has to stop trying to get players from California and
west of the Mississippi and concentrate on the Northeast corridor,
where there is a wealth of talent every year.
I still maintain that we need two new coaches. One to recruit and
one Xs and Os guy.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If we did that, who would we drop?
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Carr.
Andrew
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Andrew »

Chris DiSano's preferences:
a) Mid-point of career (at least 15 years exp.)

i. Need someone who still possesses fire

ii. Former head coaching experience a plus

b) X & O pedigree; a veteran sounding board for Hurley re: tactics

c) Strong recruiting network
http://coxsportsonline.com/2014/04/pres ... n-college/
Go Rhody!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I agree.

DiSano: Awesome!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Dave Leitao is an interesting name. 53yo New Bedford native. Played for Calhoun at Northeastern. Was an assistant to Calhoun at Northeastern and UConn and later head coach at Northeastern, Depaul, and Virginia. Was on the Missouri staff which just lost its head coach. Would we be able to afford him?
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

At the numbers we offered Preston to stay, I would say yes.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rambone 78 wrote:At the numbers we offered Preston to stay, I would say yes.
You don't think Missouri paid him more?

Would Leitao be a possibility for the head coaching job at Missouri or is he expected to follow Haith to Tulsa?
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Has anyone seen Leitao's record as head coach? Very odd.
He lost 24 games and got fired by Northeastern.
Actually won at Depaul, which is amazing.
Got fired at Virginia.
I guess he'd be a candidate for a lower level D-1 job. He'd be a great addition as
an assistant probably for a short term bandaid.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Has anyone seen Leitao's record as head coach? Very odd.
He lost 24 games and got fired by Northeastern.
Actually won at Depaul, which is amazing.
Got fired at Virginia.
I guess he'd be a candidate for a lower level D-1 job. He'd be a great addition as
an assistant probably for a short term bandaid.

If I recall correctly, he left Northeastern on his own. I think he may have thought he could not succeed there and staying longer would have hurt his career.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Chris runs skill development and clinic type deals doesnt he? His talent development ability is his strong suit.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

So after a 4-24 season, you think he wanted to become a UConn assistant
instead of a head coach at a D-1 school?
Maybe, but that strikes me as, "You're fired!" ,"No, I quit, first!"
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Haven't all Hurley's new hires been people he's worked with in the past, with the exception of Preston? And let's remember, if Mason didn't get the head job at Wagner, Preston might have not even gotten the chance to interview to keep his job.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rodfromcranston wrote:So after a 4-24 season, you think he wanted to become a UConn assistant
instead of a head coach at a D-1 school?
Maybe, but that strikes me as, "You're fired!" ,"No, I quit, first!"
Maybe at another school with different circumstances. Leitao was a Northeastern grad that was only two years in to his tenure. I don't think they would have pulled the plug so early, especially on one of their former players. Not a school like Northeastern
Last edited by RF1 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

What I am thinking is that the recruiting "team" has to cover a lot of bases. I am sure we all agree that In an ideal world the team would need someone with connections and great salesmanship, someone that is a great in-game coach, someone who can teach big men, someone who can teach guards and an administrative type.

So my question, even with Preston were we covering all the bases? What exactly is Carr's, Murray's and Tirone's roll?
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I hate to say it because by all accounts he is one of the best liked guys in the sport, but I'm not really sure what Carr does.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I asked Reynolds a couple of years ago if Herren wanted to become a coach and he said they had talked about that and Chris had said no way. Maybe things have changed. I think he'd be a great coach.
Leitao was a buddy of Gerry D's. Can we handle that?
DiSano's list is great but it reads like the want ads I see today: need tons of experience, willing to work nights, weekends, low pay.
Very surprised Thorr was in the Mist.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

What scares me is, are we going to expand the Jersey club that
now exists, with yet another?
I just got off the phone with someone, who said Preston and Carr did not
have the greatest of relationships. That's unsubstantiated gossip, but who knows?
Maybe Preston got fed up with the unequal division of labor?
The question comes down to, is Hurley capable of hiring someone he's not
personally familiar with?
I think back on all the coaches we've had and they've all had people outside of their
immediate circle on staff.
Frank_Keaney_95
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Frank_Keaney_95 »

Jim Carr = Pat Clarke??

Just kidding...kind of
SlyWilliamsCaddy
Michael Andersen

Unread post by SlyWilliamsCaddy »

Iggy, I did a double take when I saw Thor in the mist. My cousins a bartender there and a season ticket holder, asked him about it and he said surprisingly enough that Thor has been in there a couple times.

in regards to herren, he does have a very good basis to work off of in regards to talent development. He runs a bunch of camps and clinics and if im not mistaken I believe that hes been involved the last couple years in the Rob mcclanaghan/jimmy baron camps.

Also jerry tarkanian once called him "one of the smartest basketball players ive ever coached".

But rod im with you, I doubt theres any credence to the herren thing and at the end of the day I fear were gonna end up with somebody who none of us have heard of and who is entrenched in the hurley family circle. I mean why not add another guy from jersey city considering how well weve been doing down there. That area is supposed to be there bread and butter and yet other than that first wave of transfers and aaman weve done nothing down there. I wouldn't mind seeing them add somebody whos familiar with the philly/Baltimore/dc area. Always can get some gritty guards and post players from down there.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

SWC, there's loads of talent up and down the East Coast corridor, without
going anywhere else.
It scares me that the only NJ four year player we've gotten was Aaman, who was ticketed for Wagner.
It also bothers me that in all its years of existence, we've not gotten a
single BABC or Expressions player. This isn't just on Hurley but on CFL.
Those, along with the big time prep schools in New England, should be top priority for
recruiting players.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Who was doing the recruiting at Appalachian State? It seems like they were able to spot and sign some talent that they shouldn't have....Graham and Flomo.
Last edited by RIFan 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I've often wondered what Carr and Murray have been doing. It seems that all of PM's work was well documented. He's here, he's there and he's heading to that place. The other 2 seem like they're in the witness protection program.
I think it's a big mistake for Dan to only hire people he knows.
I like the idea of focusing on the northeast. It's got to be easier to sell a recruit around here. Travel time to get home is important to players.
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Truthfully, the NE Prep scene is so heavily recruited, none of the New England schools have really thrived recruiting locally. UConn's done the best with Napier and Andre Drummond a few years ago, PC has gotten some highly rated guys (Coleman, Ledo, Dunn), but it still doesn't seem like being local is much of an advantage. UMass and BC have done about as well us. If you look at the top 15 New England players in the class of 2014, only two are going to New England schools (Chukwu to PC and Garrett to URI).
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

You also have DC, Baltimore, Philly and NYC.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

BFC wrote:Truthfully, the NE Prep scene is so heavily recruited, none of the New England schools have really thrived recruiting locally. UConn's done the best with Napier and Andre Drummond a few years ago, PC has gotten some highly rated guys (Coleman, Ledo, Dunn), but it still doesn't seem like being local is much of an advantage. UMass and BC have done about as well us. If you look at the top 15 New England players in the class of 2014, only two are going to New England schools (Chukwu to PC and Garrett to URI).
I was going to make the same point. The top programs in the country are recruiting NE prep schools.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

rodfromcranston wrote:You also have DC, Baltimore, Philly and NYC.
Seems like they've invested alot into the Philly area for 2015 (Gilbert, Carter, Alston, Doughty), time will tell if that pays off.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Well, Thorr told me this job is attracting national attention, and
he's confident we'll get someone of value.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Not surprising. it's a good job.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

RIFan wrote:Who was doing the recruiting at Appalachian State? It seems like they were able to spot and sign some talent that they shouldn't have....Graham and Flomo.
Capel, who was fired earlier this year
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

rambone 78 wrote:As a recruiter Herren could be a home run.

As a coach? Hard to say. Dan might need another guy to help with the teaching and developmental end of things, along with another voice on the bench.

It is an interesting choice. I wonder if he ever graduated from Fresno. Not sure if that is a URI staff requirement or not. He is about my age. Now, most people know of his story and rightfully so. But, man, could that guy play. It's a shame we really never got to see the best of him except for a good run at Fresno.
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

It will be difficult to attract a veteran that has more D1 coaching experience than Dan. The longer a coach has been in the business, the larger his ego. There is a wealth of talented recruiters in the MAAC, and smaller D1 conferences that have strong NY and Philly connections. Those that have been around the program a few years know how tough those Philly kids are. Don't see Roland Houston or Pappy being asked to come nor do I see them accepting.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Obviously Chris has close connections to BABC. He played for them. Chris has worked with a lot of kids in the area, including some of the URI players. He worked a ton with Andrew Chrabascz too. He'd be very good with kids, being able to relate to them. He also knows the game very well. That being said, I doubt he'd like to coach at a high level for several reasons. He'll be the first to admit that he is still an addict. Although he's been clean for a few years, it's still and always will be "one day at a time". I'm not sure he needs the pressure that would come with being a college basketball coach. He's got a great thing going now with his "Project Purple", and also with his occasional job as color commentator. Also, his son, Chris Jr. will be a freshman in high school in September. He is a very good prospect as well. Last I heard, it was likely that he was going to St. Andrew's. As it is now, Chris can schedule it so he can watch his son play. I think he loves his life the way it is now.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Gonebarongone wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:As a recruiter Herren could be a home run.

It is an interesting choice. I wonder if he ever graduated from Fresno. Not sure if that is a URI staff requirement or not. He is about my age. Now, most people know of his story and rightfully so. But, man, could that guy play. It's a shame we really never got to see the best of him except for a good run at Fresno.
I watched him play for 4 years in HS, best HS player I've ever seen.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

rodfromcranston wrote:Well, Thorr told me this job is attracting national attention, and
,"someone of value" Gee, I hope that was just a semantic mistake and he really believes that he should and can get one of the top talents for this job, NOT merely someone of value. (Everyone on this board has some value)
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

rodfromcranston wrote:Well, Thorr told me this job is attracting national attention, and
,"someone of value" Gee, I hope that was just a semantic mistake and he really believes that he should and can get one of the top talents for this job, NOT merely someone of value. (Everyone on this board has some value)
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

And oh yeah, Chris is in good enough shape to scrimmage with the kids. He ran the Boston Marathon today.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Value was my word, not Thorr's.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

McRam wrote:
Uh what?
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Begging for Chris Herren.. We need a splash.. And a smart splash..
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Interesting timing... I don't see this happening for many reasons but still thought the tweet was interesting