Understanding the NIL

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Re: Understanding the NIL

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Yep lawyers gonna have a field day!

Again, IF we saw this coming we can pivot quickly create a new department to handle it all (Stone promotion?) and get out ahead of the pack.

Hopefully we can keep all the Friartown fans and alum on Smith Hill away from it all…

We definitely need our 1% crew to step up.

I will be shocked if Parlange and Thor haven’t already swung into action.

This can put us back in the game.

(So buy those season tix and support our programs!)
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ramster wrote: 3 weeks ago
hrstrat57 wrote: 3 weeks ago It’s Parlange call. I think he’s up to the task. There’s probably only one chance to get this right.

I guess we’re gonna owe Silk, K Green, Wheeler, Mobley, Garrick etc some dough tho 🤣
No. Those players were all before 2016.

Payments only go to all Division 1 Athletes from 2016 on….
Money will be spread to all Athletes - interesting to see how that is orchestrated.
Not sure if that means starting with 2015-2016 rosters or 2016-2017 rosters.

From the article……..

All Division I athletes dating back to 2016 are eligible to receive a share as part of the settlement class. In exchange, athletes cannot sue the NCAA for other potential antitrust violations and must drop their complaints in three open cases: House v. NCAA, Hubbard v. NCAA and Carter v. NCAA.

Here is the MBB 2015-2016 Roster for example

And what if athlete played 3 years before the 2016 cut off and then athlete’s senior year was 2016-2017? Assuming the 3 prior years will not count in the individual distribution $$$ - above my pay grade. Lawyers getting nice paydays to design, implement and maintain.

IMG_3701.png
So, we have to pay the Mitchell twins and Brayon Freeman? :x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 weeks ago
hrstrat57 wrote: 3 weeks ago It’s Parlange call. I think he’s up to the task. There’s probably only one chance to get this right.

I guess we’re gonna owe Silk, K Green, Wheeler, Mobley, Garrick etc some dough tho 🤣

Money will be spread to all Athletes - interesting to see how that is orchestrated.

From the article……..

All Division I athletes dating back to 2016 are eligible to receive a share as part of the settlement class. In exchange, athletes cannot sue the NCAA for other potential antitrust violations and must drop their complaints in three open cases: House v. NCAA, Hubbard v. NCAA and Carter v. NCAA.

And what if athlete played 3 years before the 2016 cut off and then athlete’s senior year was 2016-2017? Assuming the 3 prior :D :D years will not count in the individual distribution $$$ - above my pay grade. Lawyers getting nice paydays to design, implement and maintain.

IMG_3701.png
So, we have to pay the Mitchell twins and Brayon Freeman?
And golf, swim, soccer, softball, baseball, football……..

A few posters here say players were paid all along and now it’s just moved to above board - if true then this group of individual athletes since 2016 get a big bonus. The original under-the-table and now over-the-table
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

so, those who decided to sit on the sidelines as this continues to play out were right all along ?

i always argued it should land at the feet of the ncaa/tv deals/those revenue streams who make millions upon millions

to place this burden on the fans is absurd
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

In the new compensation model, each school would be permitted but not required to set aside up to $21 million in revenue to share with athletes per year, though as revenues rose, so could the cap.

Athletes in all sports would be eligible for payments, and schools would be given the freedom to decide how the money is divvied up among sports programs. Roster restrictions would replace scholarship limits by sport.

McCann said the back pay would disproportionately go to some sports — such as football and basketball.

“The schools that I think that are certainly big football schools will probably opt in because they’re going to want to compete, they’re going to want to get the best players, because college football generates a lot of revenue,” he said.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna153852
Last edited by ramster 3 weeks ago, edited 1 time in total.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

feels good to be vindicated

i mean, i haven't become a 3%er in America by making stupid financial decisions with a changing landscape
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

ElmCityRhody wrote: 3 weeks ago so, those who decided to sit on the sidelines as this continues to play out were right all along ?
In my opinion yes.

If URI handles this properly alumni and fans should do all they can to support our programs going forward.

I also think we might be putting together a pretty good basketball team. Couple bits needed but looks like a decent coachable group. I’m looking forward to being back in our seats at RC!
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

From the article……..

And what if athlete played 3 years before the 2016 cut off and then athlete’s senior year was 2016-2017? Assuming the 3 prior years will not count in the individual distribution $$$ - above my pay grade. Lawyers getting nice paydays to design, implement and maintain.

IMG_3701.png
But probably not Ant Harris :lol:
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

hrstrat57 wrote: 3 weeks ago
ElmCityRhody wrote: 3 weeks ago so, those who decided to sit on the sidelines as this continues to play out were right all along ?
In my opinion yes.

If URI handles this properly alumni and fans should do all they can to support our programs going forward.

I also think we might be putting together a pretty good basketball team. Couple bits needed but looks like a decent coachable group. I’m looking forward to being back in our seats at RC!

YES

be nice to get the focus back on hoops !

love the positivity !
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 weeks ago

From the article……..

IMG_3701.png
But probably not Ant Harris :lol:
What about Ben Hammond? :lol:
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

We all knew this day was coming eventually where there would be some form of revenue sharing. There is still so much to figure out it makes it tough to know how it will affect a program like ours at this point. I have a feeling that programs that aren't making huge revenue (non football schools mostly) will still be relying on collectives to some extent, but that remains to be seen. I still wish they could just break off football in to its own thing, but I know that's probably never going to happen.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

adam914 wrote: 3 weeks ago We all knew this day was coming eventually where there would be some form of revenue sharing. There is still so much to figure out it makes it tough to know how it will affect a program like ours at this point. I have a feeling that programs that aren't making huge revenue (non football schools mostly) will still be relying on collectives to some extent, but that remains to be seen. I still wish they could just break off football in to its own thing, but I know that's probably never going to happen.
I would also add, at least from looking at the ESPN story, that this seemingly doesn't end NIL. Meaning, players would be eligible for revenue sharing from schools AND to also sign NIL deals. From here:
Berman said the settlement includes a "mechanism" that he believes will make it easier for schools to rein in the marketplace for third-party NIL deals. He declined to provide any further details. Several athletic directors told ESPN this week that they were optimistic but uncertain about whether the settlement would give them enough legal room to regain control.
Best of luck with that ambiguous "mechanism."
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

The only thing I care about these rulings is how it affects us. Does it make it ...A. More likely, B. Less likely or C. Doesn't really change....our ability to keep a guy like Cam Estevez for 4 years? Does it make it....1. More likely, 2. Less likely or 3. Doesn't really change..... our ability to recruit a Jared Terrell-like talent?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

B
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 weeks ago The only thing I care about these rulings is how it affects us. Does it make it ...A. More likely, B. Less likely or C. Doesn't really change....our ability to keep a guy like Cam Estevez for 4 years? Does it make it....1. More likely, 2. Less likely or 3. Doesn't really change..... our ability to recruit a Jared Terrell-like talent?
Fair questions...and I think it's impossible to know at this point until A LOT more details are finalized.
Ramulous
Sly Williams

Unread post by Ramulous »

Where does our $21 M come from? Ticket prices. Merch prices. Student fees.
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

"The Big East and all those other leagues, they should be pissed."

They are.

The star quarterback will earn a stipend just as the backup lacrosse goalie and second-string soccer striker will.

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Ramulous wrote: 3 weeks ago Where does our $21 M come from? Ticket prices. Merch prices. Student fees.
Smith Hill? My ole fav, parking fees, and all the rest. Increases across the board, $20 beers? All these are nickel and dime actions will not get us to that level. Even with continuous Excellence donations?
Last edited by section(105) 3 weeks ago, edited 1 time in total.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

IMG_3739.png
IMG_3740.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Bernadette weighs in on the NCAA settlement.
https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... -the-ncaa/

"The defendants, honestly speaking, it's not just that they're bigger conferences, but they have the wherewithal for a much wider and several other streams of revenue to be able to cover significant costs as a settlement," A-10 commissioner Bernadette McGlade told CBS Sports. "To appropriate it where the five defendants are paying out 40% and the other conferences are picking up 60% is an imbalance of the financial asset distribution in Division I."

"Do we have to reduce our scholarship funding in other sports to stay competitive in basketball? Every school is going to have to look in the mirror and make that decision," McGlade said.

"The Autonomy Five will have a significant increase in expenses as it relates to the go-forward of this settlement, but at the same time, they're in the fortunate position of having protected revenue sources from the CFP as well as the multi-media, mega-media television rights," McGlade said. "From an A-10 perspective, we will make an attempt to set up and opt in as a basketball-centric league, but we'll have to work hard to strategically find those dollars that will be able to match the type of dollars that it will take to opt in to stay competitive and relevant in basketball, which the A-10 unquestionably wants to do."
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Jersey77 wrote: 3 weeks ago Bernadette weighs in on the NCAA settlement.

"The defendants, honestly speaking, it's not just that they're bigger conferences, but they have the wherewithal for a much wider and several other streams of revenue to be able to cover significant costs as a settlement," A-10 commissioner Bernadette McGlade told CBS Sports. "To appropriate it where the five defendants are paying out 40% and the other conferences are picking up 60% is an imbalance of the financial asset distribution in Division I."

"Do we have to reduce our scholarship funding in other sports to stay competitive in basketball? Every school is going to have to look in the mirror and make that decision," McGlade said.

"The Autonomy Five will have a significant increase in expenses as it relates to the go-forward of this settlement, but at the same time, they're in the fortunate position of having protected revenue sources from the CFP as well as the multi-media, mega-media television rights," McGlade said. "From an A-10 perspective, we will make an attempt to set up and opt in as a basketball-centric league, but we'll have to work hard to strategically find those dollars that will be able to match the type of dollars that it will take to opt in to stay competitive and relevant in basketball, which the A-10 unquestionably wants to do."
That doesn't sound very encouraging.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

That doesn't sound very encouraging.
Most believe this will continue to widen the gap between the high majors and the mid-major basketball centric conferences.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Might wanna start with a TV deal….
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

hrstrat57 wrote: 3 weeks ago

Might wanna start with a TV deal….
They just inked a new 5-year media deal in December, approved by the president's council and praised by the chair from Dayton.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

lawsuits - confusion - and somehow they want the fans to pony up -

VICTORY !!!
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Ain’t this the truth!

I can’t stand power conference football. This is their mess. Those conferences should pay a greater amount than they are.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 3 weeks ago, edited 1 time in total.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I'm not an attorney, and really don't understand the judgement. But if a new conference were to form, would they be responsible for paying this claim? I think its time the major schools in the A10 form their own conference, because McGlade is an idiot and we have too many schools as is. The AD's at the big schools in the A10 need to figure this out quick.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

hear hear

SECEDE !
theblueram
Frank Keaney

We need a guy like Tom Ryan to step in like Gavitt did and form a new conference.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 3 weeks ago We need a guy like Tom Ryan to step in like Gavitt did and form a new conference.
Don’t see that, but Rhody Admn/Athletics has to step up and be proactive in this potential conference formation. Do I see that? No.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 3 weeks ago
theblueram wrote: 3 weeks ago We need a guy like Tom Ryan to step in like Gavitt did and form a new conference.
Don’t see that, but Rhody Admn/Athletics has to step up and be proactive in this potential conference formation. Do I see that? No.
Something has to give. I can see SLU, VCU, Dayton, URI, Richmond, GMU, and Davidson to start. Only need one more team to be eligible for an At Large bid. Otherwise, I fear this conference is done.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

How many schools in the current A10 stick around if the basketball and other sports expenses increase and with NCAAT revenue dwindling?
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

makes all the sense in the world if we can lure the best a10 teams

less is more and we can really have an old school rock fight conference for hoops that we can be proud of
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 3 weeks ago
Something has to give. I can see SLU, VCU, Dayton, URI, Richmond, GMU, and Davidson to start. Only need one more team to be eligible for an At Large bid. Otherwise, I fear this conference is done.
Maybe you can see it, but not so sure that is the case with the teams you mentioned, including us.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I can see LaSalle, St Joes and Duqesne giving up.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Jersey77 wrote: 3 weeks ago

Maybe you can see it, but not so sure that is the case with the teams you mentioned, including us.
Slow holiday weekend so, just to pass time, I will continue this compelling discussion. So, hypothetically…

LaSalle, Fordham, Duq and Bona decide competing in NCAAT level basketball is too costly but the rest are willing to stay committed for the time being. Does the conference stay with 11 teams? Or, does it add teams? Or, does the A10 dissolve?

What is the best option?
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Jdrums#3 wrote: 3 weeks ago

Slow holiday weekend so, just to pass time, I will continue this compelling discussion. So, hypothetically…

LaSalle, Fordham, Duq and Bona decide competing in NCAAT level basketball is too costly but the rest are willing to stay committed for the time being. Does the conference stay with 11 teams? Or, does it add teams? Or, does the A10 dissolve?

What is the best option?
Forgot St Joes
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

I maybe totally naive and certainly don't understand the ramifications of the courts decision. What happens to all the Division 1 sports that don't generate any or small amounts of revenue. If you have to pay all division 1 athletes how many sports are going to be chopped. Seems like a lot of athletes are going to be screwed.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

LaSalle has a student population of 2,700. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
URI just graduated 4,700 students last week. How the hell are they in the same conference?
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Gym schools, maybe there is an emerging school that wants to level up and pay up?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Might just be me, but...while football drives the cash train now, up until very recently, I'm guessing those that raked from free players the most were basketball teams/schools. So, kinda seems appropriate in this settlement that basketball pays. Football money explosion/upchart is fairly recent and growing, but the settlement is about who got hosed by who (I think?) and not what sport is making the most money, so it seems rather than the "NCAAT saving the day", maybe it's more, 'finally, those dudes all gotta share"? Reparations?
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Jdrums#3 wrote: 3 weeks ago

What is the best option?
Forgot St Joes
I didn’t, tbr. I thought about adding them but then decided just leave it at 4 to avoid overkill.

However, as a smaller private school, St Joe’s very well could, in my hypothetical scenario, be a school that decides to not stick it out.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Screw this

WHERE'S OUR BIG MAN?!
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

we really need 2 big men …
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

theblueram wrote: 3 weeks ago LaSalle has a student population of 2,700. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
URI just graduated 4,700 students last week. How the hell are they in the same conference?
That is a great question. Imho, we have nothing in common with LaSalle other than them joining the conference. We have more in common with other state flagship universities than we do with La Salle.

Typically, conferences were once made up by commonality: the Ivy League (private and high academic standards in the region); the NBE - mostly private Catholic schools with UConn the outlier when they rejoined the NBE from the AAC; the PAC 10 was only west coast schools, the B10 was high academic and research based midwestern state schools; the ACC Tobacco Road basketball centric rivalries.

Now, for the big power football conferences, the only commonalities they seek are football, money, greed and control.

The commonalities that birthed great regional rivalries that made college sports interesting and fun have been cast aside and trampled over by crap power football conferences.

Sorry for the old man rant.
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

I am with you PRT: where the hell is he?

Elm City: let's start with one.

:
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

I really wonder if any non-FBS football conference schools can survive long term competing at the highest level in all other sports not named football. And that includes the NBE - although their decline into irrelevance may take several years longer depending on whether UConn stays or not.

Maybe it isn’t hopeless. Maybe the committed basketball centric, non-FBS football schools throughout the country could adapt and overcome by forming a basketball and lesser sports alliance in scheduling and in regards to media contracts to extend their basketball competitive lives with the FBS schools. These schools can set up the alliance by having pods of 6 or so schools each by geographic region or by former conference affiliation ? Just a quickly thought out solution from me. I am sure others here can come up with better.

Anyway, the more I read up about the House settlement payments the sinking feeling in my stomach gets deeper and deeper because it appears that college basketball and every other D1 conference just got screwed over primarily by the FBS power 2 (SEC and B10) and secondarily by the little brother FBS power conferences (ACC, B12, former PAC).

The power FBS conferences and their football programs by far benefitted most from the free college athlete labor all these years yet their share of the is minimized because FBS revenue is not part of the NCAA. How convenient and fortuitous for FBS power conferences. Where is the comparable lawsuit against the FBS system. Hasn’t the FBS benefitted from free labor since its inception?

I know shit when I smell it and I think I smell potential collusion by the SEC and B10 to protect FBS past and future revenues so they can continue to widen the gap between themselves and every other current D1 conference. Is there no potential Anti-Trust Action here? I am not a lawyer so I don’t know the answer to that. But this whole settlement payout structure stinks like hell.

The bottom line for me out of all this ? Screw the FBS, the SEC, B10, ACC and B12. I hope they all suffer a slow and excruciating spiral down into irrelevance. I will never watch another FBS football game again.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 3 weeks ago, edited 2 times in total.