Men's Basketball Transfer Carousel and Portal - 2024-25

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
4Diffs
Jimmy Baron

Re: Men's Basketball Transfer Carousel and Portal - 2024-25

Unread post by 4Diffs »

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 weeks ago I like Quentin if he comes off the bench and impact both ends. I don't see him as a starter. Our next commitment is the one I'm really excited about.
You have something to share?? I hope it is the good news that you imply above, that would be great!

Welcome aboard Quentin! I hope you play with effort and passion and help us get this program moving forward. Nobody likes the current system but it does not mean that all (most??) on this board do not want the team and Archie to succeed. Some unheralded signings turn out to be very good players and I am hoping Quentin is one of them.
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 weeks ago I like Quentin if he comes off the bench and impact both ends. I don't see him as a starter. Our next commitment is the one I'm really excited about.
Do we have a commitment from someone that's not public info yet?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ECU junior guard Quentin Diboundje enters transfer portal
by Stephen Igoe

Mar 26, 1:35 PM

East Carolina junior guard Quentin Diboundje has entered his name into the NCAA transfer portal, sources confirm to Hoist The Colours and 247Sports.

This past season for ECU, Diboundje dealt with an ankle injury he suffered on Jan. 2 against Florida Atlantic, costing him essentially the rest of the season from a health perspective. He missed a month of action before returning and playing in four other games the rest of the way, combining for just seven points in 36 total minutes across the four games. His last appearance was a nine-minute stint at North Texas on March 3. Diboundje traveled and dressed with the team the rest of the season, but did not play in any other games.
Diboundje averaged 6.8 points and 2.4 rebounds in the 17 games he saw action in. He made eight starts. Diboundje had a career-best performance against Georgia Southern on Nov. 20, when he made 7-of-10 3-pointers and scored a career-high 27 points. Diboundje had two other double-figure games this season, scoring 13 at George Mason and 13 against FAU, before his injury.
The 6-foot-5, 221-pound guard is known for his outstanding leaping ability and muscular build, but also inconsistent play at times. There would be games he'd look like a no-doubt starter for the Pirates, but others where he often seemingly disappeared. Diboundje finished his junior season shooting 40.6 percent from the field and 27.5 percent from 3-point range. Outside of the Georgia Southern game, Diboundje went just 7-of-41 from beyond the arc.

Diboundje is the fourth ECU player to enter the portal since the conclusion of the season, joining forward Brandon Johnson, wing Ben Bayela, and guard Kalib LaCount. The portal window opened last Monday and has seen a steady stream of players enter nationally each day ever since. It's open for 45 days into late April. The Pirates are coming off a 15-18 season under second-year head coach Michael Schwartz, including a 7-11 regular season record in the league.
Schwartz originally brought Diboundje to Greenville with him from Tennessee. The Montpellier, France, native and former Montverde Academy product saw his recruitment handled by Schwartz out of prep school when he originally went to Tennessee.
As a freshman at Tennessee, Diboundje played sparingly off the bench before hitting the portal and tailing Schwartz to East Carolina. He was a sophomore in 2022-23, and in his first year as a Pirate, Diboundje played in 30 games, making 19 starts. He averaged 7.1 points and 1.6 rebounds per game, shooting 32.7 percent from 3-point range and 36 percent from the field.

Entering this past season, Diboundje was one of three players from France on the team, along with Bayela, and freshman walk-on guard Logan Bourgeois. Now with the departure of Diboundje and Bayela, Bourgeois is the last native of France on the current roster heading into 2024-25.

https://247sports.com/college/east-caro ... 82094/amp/
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Sounds like a defensive upgrade, which was a priority. I’m hoping we get an athletic shot blocker next.
Slava Ukraini!
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Loves to play defense! That's what we want to hear.

PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Lots of QD here. Had 13 points at about the 7 minute mark in the 2nd half. He's certainly quite the athlete, very explosive to the hoop. Ok looking jumper. Most intriguingly, however was often guarding Nelly Davis, FAU's start PG.

No coach on the planet would feel good about any of our players last year guarding Johnell Davis lol

We just got more athletic and better defensively! Not sure if he has one or two years left though. Played 7 games at UT, so perhaps he could get a waiver for an extra year if a redshirt wasn't officially applied?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 weeks ago

Lots of QD here. Had 13 points at about the 7 minute mark in the 2nd half. He's certainly quite the athlete, very explosive to the hoop. Ok looking jumper. Most intriguingly, however was often guarding Nelly Davis, FAU's start PG.

No coach on the planet would feel good about any of our players last year guarding Johnell Davis lol

We just got more athletic and better defensively! Not sure if he has one or two years left though. Played 7 games at UT, so perhaps he could get a waiver for an extra year if a redshirt wasn't officially applied?

He has 1 year left to play

He played in 17 games (started 8) last year at East Carolina. Plus he dressed and traveled in several games after he returned from injury last year.

IMG_3679.jpeg
IMG_3678.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

ramster wrote: 3 weeks ago

He played in 17 games (started 8) last year at East Carolina. Plus he dressed and traveled in several games after he returned from injury last year.

IMG_3679.jpeg

IMG_3678.jpeg
There is a potential for him to get a 2nd year. The first year at Tennessee I think he might be able to get a redshirt year after submitting a waiver.

He only played in 7 total games his Freshman year at Tenn.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

sevegny7 wrote: 3 weeks ago

IMG_3679.jpeg

IMG_3678.jpeg
There is a potential for him to get a 2nd year. The first year at Tennessee I think he might be able to get a redshirt year after submitting a waiver.

He could probably sue for another year and the NCAA will fold like a cheap suit. :lol:
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

IMG_3679.jpeg

IMG_3678.jpeg
He was not injured at Tennessee. He played the entire year at Tennessee but just didn’t get in all the games off the bench.
He transferred to East Carolina with the coach who recruited him to Tennessee who left to take the Head Coach job at East Carolina.
Does lack of playing time warrant a waiver? I didn’t think so.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

so hard to tell from highlights..
look at last year.. even after seeing some guys in a rhody uniform we thought we had something..
turned out they were duds
let's hope he's good tho...
ultimately i will always believe in archie.. well, pre NIL archie at least
rhodyram22
ARD

Unread post by rhodyram22 »

who are you hearing? spill the beans
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 weeks ago

IMG_3679.jpeg

IMG_3678.jpeg

He could probably sue for another year and the NCAA will fold like a cheap suit. :lol:
I suppose it’s possible. But do all players who don’t get off the bench like Freshmen Dubsky and Allen Jr get extra years added because they didn’t get much playing time? I suppose the new NIL world makes staying in college longer an attraction because of the earnings potential.
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

IMG_3679.jpeg

IMG_3678.jpeg
He was not injured at Tennessee. He played the entire year at Tennessee but just didn’t get in all the games off the bench.
He transferred to East Carolina with the coach who recruited him to Tennessee who left to take the Head Coach job at East Carolina.
That happens all the time. Jeremy Foumena Redshirted without injury. So yes he can get another year without injury he would need to not want to go pro and apply for a waiver. It is just about playing less than 9 games I think the cutoff is.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

IMG_3679.jpeg

IMG_3678.jpeg
Yes, he wouldn't qualify for a medical waiver in 21-22 at Tenn.
Even though he only actually played in 7 games, he did see minutes in the NCAAT, so no season ending injury.
Once you do see any court time in the 2nd semester that disqualifies you, even if you haven't played in more than 33% of total games that year.
Last edited by Jersey77 3 weeks ago, edited 1 time in total.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

That happens all the time. Jeremy Foumena Redshirted without injury. So yes he can get another year without injury he would need to not want to go pro and apply for a waiver. It is just about playing less than 9 games I think the cutoff is.
Foumena didn't play in any games so of course he can redshirt, not the case with Quentin.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Thank you to everyone on all the info on Quentin.

From what little I watched and read of him so far, he looks like a lanky, athletic, player that can go to the hoop and be streaky from 3. And, can also play solid D - which is a big area we need help in.

Therefore, I believe Quentin is a good and smart addition to the team Archie is constructing for next season.

I expect Quentin will go into practice as the back up wing to starter Green but will push Green for minutes. The depth chart at wing looks like this to me: Green; Quentin; Farrell. A solid A10 wing rotation on paper.

Welcome to Rhody, QD!

Go Rhody!
Last edited by Jdrums#3 3 weeks ago, edited 1 time in total.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 weeks ago

Even though he only actually played in 7 games, he did see minutes in the NCAAT, so no injury season ending.
Once you do see any court time in the 2nd semester that disqualifies you, even if you haven't played in more than 33% of total games that year.
True 77. But there was no mention of a medical waiver, only that he played in just 7 games at Tennessee so therefore he could possibly get another year. That’s why I said he was on the Tennessee team throughout the year and never was out for medical reasons.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

rhodyram22 wrote: 3 weeks ago
who are you hearing? spill the beans
A friend of mine played college ball and coaches now. He claims that we are very close to landing a good big man. We just need to give it a few more days and see how it all shakes out. I promised I wouldn't leak the names, so I need to stick to my word.

We also need to remember Javonte Brown hasn't committed anywhere, and I'd take him in a heartbeat. Either way, we are in the mix with a few bigs that should be as good or possibly better than Fuchs.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Even though he only actually played in 7 games, he did see minutes in the NCAAT, so no injury season ending.
True 77. But there was no mention of a medical waiver, only that he played in just 7 games at Tennessee so therefore he could possibly get another year. That’s why I said he was on the Tennessee team throughout the year and never was out for medical reasons.
Yeah you guys could be right. That is a tricky scenario because he is under the 30% of the total games played by Tennessee. But did play in 7 games. And at the end of the year he will be in College for 4 years and may want to go Pro no matter what. Especially since he is from France.

And hard to know if he even had a rolled ankle or anything like that which could be used as an excuse for waiver.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Very tired of the NIL crap...let's not blow our load on a 10th place team to make them a 4th place team (maybe). Get a solid team, strong defensive culture, winning culture, get in the top 5 of the A10 then start worrying about getting the high cost guy.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Yeah you guys could be right. That is a tricky scenario because he is under the 30% of the total games played by Tennessee. But did play in 7 games. And at the end of the year he will be in College for 4 years and may want to go Pro no matter what. Especially since he is from France.

And hard to know if he even had a rolled ankle or anything like that which could be used as an excuse for waiver.
I think he likely gets the waiver. 7 games with little minutes is nothing.

Look at college football, you can play in 4 games and still redshirt. You can play in 4 games plus a bowl game/ playoff and still redshirt.

7 college basketball games is less than that comparatively.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Look at college football, you can play in 4 games and still redshirt. You can play in 4 games plus a bowl game/ playoff and still redshirt.

College football rules are different, doesn’t apply to basketball at this time. The NCAA has thought about including basketball for players to play in a minimum amount of games and still redshirt but hasn’t been approved yet. Currently if you only play 1 minute in a season you lose your RS unless you can qualify for a medical hardship waiver.
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Yeah thats what I thought. But the whole waivers approval system by the NCAA you can never be too sure. They make things up as they go at times it seems haah.

Again this could be a moot point because Quentin may be done with college ball personally after this year and want to move on. So I guess we will see when that time comes.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

College football rules are different, doesn’t apply to basketball at this time. The NCAA has thought about including basketball for players to play in a minimum amount of games and still redshirt but hasn’t been approved yet. Currently if you only play 1 minute in a season you lose your RS unless you can qualify for a medical hardship waiver.
Yeah I know they have different rules. I'm just saying that, if football can be that way then they shouldn't find it hard to be lenient to a guy that played in 7 games with extremely limited minutes.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Yeah thats what I thought. But the whole waivers approval system by the NCAA you can never be too sure. They make things up as they go at times it seems haah.

Again this could be a moot point because Quentin may be done with college ball personally after this year and want to move on. So I guess we will see when that time comes.
There are medical waivers but you are now talking about playing time waivers unrelated to medical.
He played actual games and minutes in November, December, January and even in March.
If former P5 players or Mid/Low Mid Major players are now allowed to go back to their Freshmen and/or Sophomore years and get waivers because their Head Coach did not play them much then there could be a new resource or available talent.
I doubt Miller is bringing him in expecting 2 years of availability but you never know in the new era I suppose.

IMG_3685.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

You can ask for a waiver 3 years after the fact?
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Yeah I know they have different rules. I'm just saying that, if football can be that way then they shouldn't find it hard to be lenient to a guy that played in 7 games with extremely limited minutes.
He wouldn’t qualify anyway because that rule applies to the beginning of the season, just the fact that he participated in the NCAAT would automatically disqualify him.
spar
Kenny Green

Unread post by spar »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 3 weeks ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 3 weeks ago We get news about a player

He gets trashed despite ppl having never seen a second of him playing and then there's more IDIOTIC NIL talk. It's so keaneyblue! Everyone sucks and oh the humanity! Paying 10 dollars to help my team get players!? How awful! What a moral dilemma that puts me in! 🤡🤡🤡
I think there's much more whining "about" those that see thru the Shakedown, then there is "from" those that see thru the Shakedown

its funny.. how worked up they get over an opposing point of view !
This is just further proof that you either have zero self awareness, or just love your new role as the board troll. 95%+ of your posts these last few months have essentially said the same exact thing. We get it! Move on! It's not the opposing point of view, it's YOU. You went from being someone people genuinely got a kick out of with your posts, to someone who has become insufferable. And that sucks. It sucks for you and it sucks for the board. And your atrocious grammar/spelling only makes things worse.

Apologies to the other board members for feeding this nonsense, but one can only take so much.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

spar wrote: 3 weeks ago

I think there's much more whining "about" those that see thru the Shakedown, then there is "from" those that see thru the Shakedown

This is just further proof that you either have zero self awareness, or just love your new role as the board troll. 95%+ of your posts these last few months have essentially said the same exact thing. We get it! Move on! It's not the opposing point of view, it's YOU. You went from being someone people genuinely got a kick out of with your posts, to someone who has become insufferable. And that sucks. It sucks for you and it sucks for the board. And your atrocious grammar/spelling only makes things worse.

Apologies to the other board members for feeding this nonsense, but one can only take so much.
Spot on Spar.. Plenty of us have opposing views. This dude is just being a troll on purpose. Huge difference.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

It isn't 'just him.' I am of the same viewpoint and if you're really reading here, you'd have noticed that there are others. I think, by volume, there's much more whining "about" those that see thru the Shakedown, then there is "from" those that see thru the Shakedown. But keep trying to paint it as the opposite 👍
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

I have always thought that if a poster here and their views are not your cup to tea, just move to the next post. No?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 weeks ago

Spot on Spar.. Plenty of us have opposing views. This dude is just being a troll on purpose. Huge difference.

truly not trolling

its just a different point of view

one could say you are trolling me ...

anyways.. its a nice warm night and i have an outdoor concert to go to in this beautiful city

cheer up - its ok to have different point of view and please keep sending those videos

i love those and you do a great job with them
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

It isn't 'just him.' I am of the same viewpoint and if you're really reading here, you'd have noticed that there are others. I think, by volume, there's much more whining "about" those that see thru the Shakedown, then there is "from" those that see thru the Shakedown. But keep trying to paint it as the opposite 👍
Your viewpoint also sucks and is also wrong.

It’s not a shakedown. This is the system. Want good players? Give money. Don’t want to give money? Don’t bitch that we don’t have good players.

I’m all for respecting other points of view. That courtesy stops when the opposing points of view are so clearly uninformed and incorrect that they should not be placated even for the sake of sparing feelings.

Unfortunately the latter has way too large of an echo chamber on this board.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

This is the guy I saw the other night. Great to see we signed him!
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

truly not trolling

anyways.. its a nice warm night and i have an outdoor concert to go to in this beautiful city

cheer up - its ok to have different point of view and please keep sending those videos

You literally said that half your posts were just to get people fired up. That is the definition of a troll. Have all the different viewpoints you want, we all have different viewpoints about many things on here, but if you're going to flat out tell people that you are posting just to try and get other fans fired up then you can't be surprised if people take issue with that. If that's how you want to be just own it instead of doing it and then acting like a victim when people call you out on it. Or you can not be a troll and start to practice what you preach when you say we need to be a "ram-ily" again.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Good bench piece. Having a strong roster with size and athleticism is huge. Looking forward to the next big.
GO RAMS
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 weeks ago

Good bench piece. Having a strong roster with size and athleticism is huge. Looking forward to the next big.
Nice find! I'm not sure any of our guys took a ball to the hoop that strong all season last year. :D
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

adam914 wrote: 3 weeks ago

Nice find! I'm not sure any of our guys took a ball to the hoop that strong all season last year. :D
Yeah definitely very rare. I do remember a couple Jaden House dunks similar. But besides House absolutely none.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Yeah definitely very rare. I do remember a couple Jaden House dunks similar. But besides House absolutely none.
For sure. I was definitely exaggerating a little but its not too far off. :lol:
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow love the pickup of QD

Would think nice rotation piece somewhere from 6th to 8th man
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Seems to me he’s going for tougher minded guys. Maybe starting to build the culture he wants. Hope so
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

The one thing that has not shaken Archie is his ability to develop players. Better to work with a mound of clay than a rock. He is passing on 'me' players instead of uncoachable players with better stats.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
spar
Kenny Green

Unread post by spar »

truly not trolling

You literally said that half your posts were just to get people fired up. That is the definition of a troll. Have all the different viewpoints you want, we all have different viewpoints about many things on here, but if you're going to flat out tell people that you are posting just to try and get other fans fired up then you can't be surprised if people take issue with that. If that's how you want to be just own it instead of doing it and then acting like a victim when people call you out on it. Or you can not be a troll and start to practice what you preach when you say we need to be a "ram-ily" again.
THIS
spar
Kenny Green

Unread post by spar »

Just stop. Yes, we're all well aware of your stance too, as you've continued to bang the same drum incessantly, (albeit with some better spelling and grammar than him). I have no problem agreeing to disagree with this (or many other things on this board), but when it gets to the point where this is all you two continue to talk about, it's clearly just to be annoying at this point.

And as far as which side is being more "vocal" by post volume, you're not telling us something we don't already know. The poll in the Rhode to Excellence thread clearly shows a larger % of people have already or intend to contribute, so why should that be a surprise that there are more posts from that group? I will tell you this though. It wouldn't be nearly as many posts if you two stopped spamming every thread. 👍
spar
Kenny Green

Unread post by spar »

truly not trolling

A different point of view you have become obsessed with injecting into every thread. Fact.

I am trolling you, that's cute. Don't be that guy. The victim card just ratchets up your troll status.

I guess I missed where my previous post said I was down in the dumps and needing a cheering up, but I guess that's on par with your comprehension of most posts on here.

No vids being posted here, so not sure who you think I am. And if that was your attempt at an insult, you whiffed. Nighty night.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Iggy1979 wrote: 3 weeks ago The one thing that has not shaken Archie is his ability to develop players. Better to work with a mound of clay than a rock. He is passing on 'me' players instead of uncoachable players with better stats.
Well said Iggy !
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Where is Rhody72??

Are they/them still alive? Can someone find out?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 weeks ago Where is Rhody72??

Are they/them still alive? Can someone find out?
He was last active a month ago
Last post was 8 months ago

viewtopic.php?p=571476#p571476
IMG_3692.png