Understanding the NIL

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Re: Understanding the NIL

Unread post by RIFan »

Are the big time conferences tv contracts for all sports or do the put a value on the football rights vs basketball? Will they be able to use football money to pay athletes in other sports? Would the football players stand for that?
Last edited by RIFan 3 weeks ago, edited 1 time in total.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 weeks ago
RIFan wrote: 3 weeks ago I agree with others who posted that next coaches contract is for less, not more and the difference goes to NIL.
For that to work, you need a solid GM. who will actually probably be more important than the coach if'n ya wanna compete...
We're getting there tho...we have players with agents, a busted open golden goose, next probably a few lawsuits from schools being "whiny complaining dicks" about distribution, then maybe a players' union, salary caps, trades...
Hmm, kinda sounds like the pro’s…so why not just root for the celts instead? They don’t ask for donations and the quality of play is better.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Big news, RIFan. Thanks for posting it. I saw that earlier today and posted about it in the Other College Sports board here.

The A10’s share of the $2 bil plus settlement is 3.43%, I believe (not of the whole $2 B but of the conferences share, that is).

The B10 has the highest share at 10.04%. The ACC is second at just under 10%. NBE is at 3.65%, I believe.

I think the money is spread over 10 yrs.

Football is the biggest culprit but yet the money will come from the NCAAT the next 10’yrs because that is the NCAA’s primary source of revenue.

So, football screws everything and basketball pays.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RIFan wrote: 3 weeks ago
RIFan wrote: 3 weeks ago I agree with others who posted that next coaches contract is for less, not more and the difference goes to NIL.
For that to work, you need a solid GM. who will actually probably be more important than the coach if'n ya wanna compete...
We're getting there tho...we have players with agents, a busted open golden goose, next probably a few lawsuits from schools being "whiny complaining dicks" about distribution, then maybe a players' union, salary caps, trades...
Hmm, kinda sounds like the pro’s…so why not just root for the celts instead? They don’t ask for donations and the quality of play is better.
Welp...the next level to cross is...what sports (that anyone watches) where players are getting paid, do the players get paid less than the coach?
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

What could go wrong
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Jdrums#3 wrote: 3 weeks ago
Big news, RIFan. Thanks for posting it. I saw that earlier today and posted about it in the Other College Sports board here.

The A10’s share of the $2 bil plus settlement is 3.43%, I believe (not of the whole $2 B but of the conferences share, that is).

The B10 has the highest share at 10.04%. The ACC is second at just under 10%. NBE is at 3.65%, I believe.

Football is the biggest culprit but yet the money will come from the NCAAT the next 10’yrs because that is the NCAA’s primary source of revenue.

You mean...pays "now"....what they all should have been paying all along (probably less, really), right?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

You mean...pays "now"....what they all should have been paying all along (probably less, really), right?
Jdrums,
How much money does the A10 get? And then how much does each school get?
Does the money get split between basketball and football at each school’s digression? Does the money go straight to the Athletic department?
Thanks for posting.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

and you want me to "buy" into this mess ?!?!

i was born at night but not last night...
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Welp...the next level to cross is...what sports (that anyone watches) where players are getting paid, do the players get paid less than the coach?

FOOTY (AFL)

great sport !
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

They don't ask for donations because they can pay the players directly.

This false equivalency keeps getting brought up. You're comparing apples to oranges.

But if you wanted to continue the argument, they don't ask for donations because they charge, on average, over $100 per ticket per game and they share (with only 29 others teams) a $6 billion/season tv contract - $230 million per team per year.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 3 weeks ago and you want me to "buy" into this mess ?!?!

I wasn't born yesterday... I was born the day BEFORE yesterday.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

RhodyKyle wrote: 3 weeks ago

This false equivalency keeps getting brought up. You're comparing apples to oranges.

But if you wanted to continue the argument, they don't ask for donations because they charge, on average, over $100 per ticket per game and they share (with only 29 others teams) a $6 billion/season tv contract - $230 million per team per year.
I was commenting on all the predicted things that will continue to happen. I understand the difference. But once the schools and conferences can pay, then what is the difference? The cost to attend games? Well I would assume this being basically the minor leagues that costs would be less and the players would be paid less than the pro’s.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

And now the schools (the team) can pay the players directly, so it's not a false equivalency. Do they have "as much"? Of course not, this the minors, not the NBA. Payout to the players should be commensurate with how much the enterprise is making. College basketball generates less cash...so the players should be paid less.

Pro leagues have salary caps...when revenue goes up, so does the cap. When revenue goes down, they lower the cap, they don't start a go fund me...
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

jcru wrote: 3 weeks ago
ElmCityRhody wrote: 3 weeks ago and you want me to "buy" into this mess ?!?!

I wasn't born yesterday... I was born the day BEFORE yesterday.
come on.. you butchered my quote from the late great don imus !

RIP !
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

ramster wrote: 3 weeks ago

Jdrums,
How much money does the A10 get? And then how much does each school get?
Does the money get split between basketball and football at each school’s digression? Does the money go straight to the Athletic department?
Thanks for posting.
Good questions, Ramster. I am by no means fully informed on the settlement but I have followed it some. So, I will take a stab at your questions.

Regarding your first question, I think you mean how much money does the A10 get from the NCAA ? To answer then, my understanding is the NCAA will take the conferences (all conferences) share from future NCAAT credits. So, I think the A10 has four new credits from the 24 tourney and the NCAA will withhold an amount equal to 1/10th (since it is a 10 yr payout). I don’t know what that equates to in actual dollars (my understanding is that historic NCAAT credit amounts were used to determine each conferences % share. I do not know what historic window of time was used, however.

Regarding your 2nd/3rd question, I don’t believe there is a split between football on the FBS level since the NCAA derives no revenue from FBS Bowls or playoff revenue. FCS may be different but - if it is - then I would guess that the NCAA derives very little to no revenue from FCS football.

I am not sure about your final questions. My understanding is that the conferences portions (all conferences) will mostly come from their shares of future NCAA revenues - the vast majority of which comes from the NCAAT for the NCAA.

I believe the NCAA is picking up 60% of the settlement on it own and all the conferences share the leftover 40% combined in unequal portions taken out of future NCAAT distributions for 10 yrs to payoff the full $2B plus settlement.

Therefore, conferences (and this each school in each conference) pay by agreeing to give up fiture credit disbursements from the NCAAT for the next 10 yrs (Essentially a wage garnishment by the NCAA on all D1 conferences).

Hope this helped.

ETA: $2.8 bil is the settlement. I believe both the Big12 and ACC have already voted to approve the payment breakdown of the settlement (the settlement amount is done). Last week the NBE Commish sent a strong letter to the NCAA against the proposed settlement and threatened a lawsuit if it was approved ( her argument was that the NBE doesn’t sponsor football - which is the primary culprit).
Last edited by Jdrums#3 3 weeks ago, edited 3 times in total.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

What does any of this nonsense have to do with “college”?

Serious question that must be hotly debated at the college administration level.

Nuts.
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

And now the schools (the team) can pay the players directly, so it's not a false equivalency. Do they have "as much"? Of course not, this the minors, not the NBA. Payout to the players should be commensurate with how much the enterprise is making. College basketball generates less cash...so the players should be paid less.

Pro leagues have salary caps...when revenue goes up, so does the cap. When revenue goes down, they lower the cap, they don't start a go fund me...
In Virginia. Not in RI, not in MA, not in NY, not in DC.....

NCAA has not changed their rules to allow schools everywhere to pay players.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

and last i looked.. to be a fan...

NCAA has not changed their rules to require fans everywhere to pay players.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

In Virginia. Not in RI, not in MA, not in NY, not in DC.....

NCAA has not changed their rules to allow schools everywhere to pay players.
It has, they just haven’t formally announced it yet. No way it stays like this for long.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I'm looking forward to the end of the year story about the "lil NIL team that could." The team that got it's 1,000 message board members to donate $10 a month, and as a result was able to field a team that was ranked all year and went deep into the tourney...all because those $10/month fans cared so much and put their money where there mouth is, in this, "yes it sucks, but this is the world we live in" world.
Ramulous
Sly Williams

Unread post by Ramulous »

I don’t believe this settlement will even the playing field for college sports. The big football conferences will be subsidized by funds that the basketball championship generates for the NCAA. They can then set a salary cap based on their revenues which dwarf every other conference, football or basketball only.

And no one will be able to restrict players from their own individual NIL deals. Which will be in addition to their salaries.
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Ramulous wrote: 3 weeks ago I don’t believe this settlement will even the playing field for college sports. The big football conferences will be subsidized by funds that the basketball championship generates for the NCAA. They can then set a salary cap based on their revenues which dwarf every other conference, football or basketball only.

And no one will be able to restrict players from their own individual NIL deals. Which will be in addition to their salaries.
Agreed this really just makes it worse for us. Thus we either need a HUGE groundswell of donations from the average fan and or our few large donors need to go all in, or we are just screwed.
RhodyNorth
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by RhodyNorth »

Ramulous wrote: 3 weeks ago I don’t believe this settlement will even the playing field for college sports. The big football conferences will be subsidized by funds that the basketball championship generates for the NCAA. They can then set a salary cap based on their revenues which dwarf every other conference, football or basketball only.

Agreed this really just makes it worse for us. Thus we either need a HUGE groundswell of donations from the average fan and or our few large donors need to go all in, or we are just screwed.
How dare you suggest more fans support NIL.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Ramulous,
Do you foresee College Basketball becoming 2 levels similar to College Football with FBS and FCS?

College Football FBS Champion is NOT recognized by the NCAA.
The Bowl Games and the now 12-Team FBS National Championship is not run by the NCAA but by the Conferences.

I think the FBS Conferences could wrestle away the Basketball as well to be similar to FBS Football Playoffs.

FCS Football is still controlled by NCAA including the 24-Team Playoff Bracket and the Champion is NCAA recognized.

Does the Rhode Island Red’s Cartel power play drive the final result? RI Red has been pretty much on target 🎯

NCAA has been besieged by lawsuits.

What do you think the future brings short term and long term?
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

RhodyNorth wrote: 3 weeks ago

I know…I point it out as it’s an option no matter how unlikely to happen. Hey, CVS or some other corporate sponsor could do like FedEx did!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I know…I point it out as it’s an option no matter how unlikely to happen. Hey, CVS or some other corporate sponsor could do like FedEx did!
Yeah, maybe some other ..but not CVS...at least for a while. Take a look at their stock price... down 23% ytd. Crappy earnings report and not expecting to get any better this year
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

ramster wrote: 3 weeks ago Ramulous,
Do you foresee College Basketball becoming 2 levels similar to College Football with FBS and FCS?
I'm not sure how it will all shake out, but an overarching thought of mine is that the vast majority college basketball fans would 100% NOT want this to happen. One issue could be that the average "casual" fan is not paying attention to any of this and have no idea what's at stake.

For example my wife and two young adult kids are big "casual" URI fans - love to go to games, watch on TV, even know the players' names and who's doing what during the season.

I guarantee they have no idea what's going on with all of this NIL and NCAA stuff. Nor do they care to know. I bet a LOT of people are the same.
Mobley was fouled.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Yeah, maybe some other ..but not CVS...at least for a while. Take a look at their stock price... down 23% ytd. Crappy earnings report and not expecting to get any better this year
CVS was up to $109 in March 2022 and now way down to below $56 today. Not good considering the Dow has broken 40k for the first time ever this month
Not good considering CVS is such a prominent RI company and with a strong history with URI :cry:
TexRam
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by TexRam »

I think NIL can work within a framework that relies on both Corporate and Individual (whale + minnow) participation. It doesn't even need to be a CVS -- local businesses can sponsor/engage with Rhody Excellence, and if I was an owner of one of those businesses, I absolutely would care about audience and engagement. Will my $$$ reach more eyeballs? The more people participate in a collective, the more corporate engagement is likely to increase. The more corporate engagement, the more perks. The more perks, the more fans see value in their contribution. At least, that's how I think it works.

I do understand the general sentiment of the detractors (but not the shitposting). The players are finally getting paid (great) but the money is not necessarily coming out of the pockets of the powers that benefitted from the exploitation (NCAA, Media, schools, conferences, etc.). That may come soon, but this is the setup and don't necessarily think of it as a terrible thing. We'll see.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

you girls still crying ?!!!!

is this what the NIL means to you ?!!?

sorry i am at the pavilion. and the drinks are going down smooth !!!

cry. cry cry !

ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

spending my hard earned money here !

https://www.marketpavilion.com/mobile.cfm
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Partner with one of these groups...problem solved

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... s-upheaval

CAS would be available to lend money and offer guidance to athletic departments in exchange for a share of future revenue.

Now that schools can pay players... sign up with one of these groups for $3m for players...seems like a good investment
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

IT'S ALL OVER...........

When do they get a college education??????
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

rjv wrote: 3 weeks ago IT'S ALL OVER...........

You don’t. This is just side job for a couple years. No one cares about rules, grades or anything else in college sports any longer. It went from way too strict to a joke. Can’t believe we were worried about hiring Pitino because he was slimy and didn’t play by the rules. Who cares. 😂
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RamStock wrote: 3 weeks ago

You don’t. This is just side job for a couple years. No one cares about rules, grades or anything else in college sports any longer. It went from way too strict to a joke. Can’t believe we were worried about hiring Pitino because he was slimy and didn’t play by the rules. Who cares. 😂
I think another poster mentioned that with the ability to get paid, there was incentive to stay eligible.
It would make sense that "eligible" is something like 'getting a college education'...so, yeah, probably not

The Rick....oy...what could have been
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Graduation rates for athletes were at record levels as of December 2023. Men's basketball specifically is up to 86 percent, vs. around 56 percent in 2002. Loosening transfer rules and allowing NIL means that athletes are much more incentivized to make sure they're eligible.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Yeah, I don't understand where this "when do they get an education" and "no one cares about grades" stuff comes from. Players still go to school, they still have to remain academically eligible, they have to meet certain requirements to be able to transfer...
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

adam914 wrote: 3 weeks ago Yeah, I don't understand where this "when do they get an education" and "no one cares about grades" stuff comes from. Players still go to school, they still have to remain academically eligible, they have to meet certain requirements to be able to transfer...
Lamar Odom really valued his education here
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

RamStock wrote: 3 weeks ago

When did they?

Like…what’s that number? 10%? lower? Was it ever higher?

No one ever cared. Not at URI not at UNC not at any legit basketball school.

Even if it’s “legit” a group project is taking care of it for them.

It’s always been this way, now there’s no pretense.

Be happy that we just don’t have scumbag kids here.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

So I guess the Student Athlete no longer exist
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

So what does this potentially do for us?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Two subdivisions according to nyt…
And the non-fb schools pay the most.
Yippee. So my ticket money and donations now DO go to pay the kids pros.
IMG_1948.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Solution?

Set up NIL department. School and athletes work together to secure NIL commitments. School coordinates the reimbursement of NCAA/TV etc to reimburse all athletes.

Need A10 to get off their arse and secure a TV deal.

I would think now that the rules and way forward are becoming clear our 1% boosters will be willing to jump in again and play.

Handled properly this could work. Let’s hope we saw this coming and URI is prepared. As I’ve said repeatedly this is a additional tall task for our President and administration. It’s a high level “work/study” program nothing more really.

Go Rhody. Get it done.

The brief time of Wild West is over.

Let’s go!
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

sounds plausible and takes the "responsibility" and "shaming fans to not be fans if they don't give" (silly point of view) off the table

i am a fan and will always be a fan

you can try but you can't take that away from me

apologies !
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

hrstrat57 wrote: 3 weeks ago Solution?

Set up NIL department. School and athletes work together to secure NIL commitments. School coordinates the reimbursement of NCAA/TV etc to reimburse all athletes.

Need A10 to get off their arse and secure a TV deal.

I would think now that the rules and way forward are becoming clear our 1% boosters will be willing to jump in again and play.

Handled properly this could work. Let’s hope we saw this coming and URI is prepared. As I’ve said repeatedly this is an additional tall task for our President and administration. It’s a high level “work/study” program nothing more really.

My gut tells me that the URI Admin/Athletics will ride in the back seat, while others drive the car. Hope I am wrong, but……..

Go Rhody. Get it done.

The brief time of Wild West is over.

Let’s go!
Ram logo via Grist 1938
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Sorry my post ended up in the other. The my gut sentences.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

It’s Parlange call. I think he’s up to the task. There’s probably only one chance to get this right.

I guess we’re gonna owe Silk, K Green, Wheeler, Mobley, Garrick etc some dough tho 🤣
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

hrstrat57 wrote: 3 weeks ago It’s Parlange call. I think he’s up to the task. There’s probably only one chance to get this right.

I guess we’re gonna owe Silk, K Green, Wheeler, Mobley, Garrick etc some dough tho 🤣
No. Those players were all before 2016.

Payments only go to all Division 1 Athletes from 2016 on….
Money will be spread to all Athletes - interesting to see how that is orchestrated.
Not sure if that means starting with 2015-2016 rosters or 2016-2017 rosters.

From the article……..

All Division I athletes dating back to 2016 are eligible to receive a share as part of the settlement class. In exchange, athletes cannot sue the NCAA for other potential antitrust violations and must drop their complaints in three open cases: House v. NCAA, Hubbard v. NCAA and Carter v. NCAA.

Here is the MBB 2015-2016 Roster for example

And what if athlete played 3 years before the 2016 cut off and then athlete’s senior year was 2016-2017? Assuming the 3 prior years will not count in the individual distribution $$$ - above my pay grade. Lawyers getting nice paydays to design, implement and maintain.
IMG_3701.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.