Understanding the NIL

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Re: Understanding the NIL

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Certainly this NIL/portal situation adds complexity to the job of university president.

Tough decisions to be made based on ROI projections. None of it has anything to do with actual “education”

Difficult job.
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 2 weeks ago Someone who openly despises NIL and refuses to donate isn't necessarily a bad fan, but their negative opinions are counterproductive and to some extent I think you lose ability to complain about recruiting if you could help support NIL and are choosing not to.
wrong.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 weeks ago
rjsuperfly66 wrote: 2 weeks ago Someone who openly despises NIL and refuses to donate isn't necessarily a bad fan, but their negative opinions are counterproductive and to some extent I think you lose ability to complain about recruiting if you could help support NIL and are choosing not to.
wrong.
Care to elaborate? If you can't afford to offer competitive NIL, and a player chooses elsewhere, what is there to complain about?

5k X $25 a month = $1.5 million per year = likely path to competitiveness.

Each person here, as a collective, has a chance to make a difference to the greater good of URI basketball, to make your winters more entertaining.

Not sure what's inaccurate there.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 2 weeks ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 weeks ago
wrong.
Care to elaborate? If you can't afford to offer competitive NIL, and a player chooses elsewhere, what is there to complain about?

5k X $25 a month = $1.5 million per year = likely path to competitiveness.

Each person here, as a collective, has a chance to make a difference to the greater good of URI basketball, to make your winters more entertaining.

Not sure what's inaccurate there.
It's wrong to say that fans that can't or don't want to pay for players...should be told they lose the ability to complain. I complained my a** off at the Bruins and Sawx last night and I don't recall ever being shaken down by either. Or told that, "we'd be better if you helped us buy better players." This is now, no different.

My season tickets are about triple your "only $25 a month" level. Are you saying that, the person that donates $25 a month can complain about recruiting, but I can't? That this conversation is even taking place is a clear sign of just how effed up this is)
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

There is no Keaney Blue blood test. Many different people define their fandom in a variety of supporting ways including paying at the pump for premium, mid grade, and Econ octane levels. To each his own and no one should define what a fan is or is not. Out.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Agree...I was referring back to the guy with the creepy avatar that said fans that don't contribute $25 a month to the collective, basically lose their right to an opinion...total silliness.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 week ago Agree...I was referring back to the guy with the creepy avatar that said fans that don't contribute $25 a month to the collective, basically lose their right to an opinion...total silliness.
If you are losing recruits because of NIL, but are refusing to donate to help NIL, you are part of the problem, not the solution. You think it's productive to bitch about missing on players that your coach can't afford? That's all I'm saying, that I think it's silly for people who could help with NIL to then turn and complain about lack of recruiting.

Sure, it's a silly conversation that we even have to it. But we do, it's the world we are in, people need to stop bitching about it, and either acknowledge and participate in its existence, or find another hobby.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 1 week ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 week ago Agree...I was referring back to the guy with the creepy avatar that said fans that don't contribute $25 a month to the collective, basically lose their right to an opinion...total silliness.
If you are losing recruits because of NIL, but are refusing to donate to help NIL, you are part of the problem, not the solution. You think it's productive to bitch about missing on players that your coach can't afford? That's all I'm saying, that I think it's silly for people who could help with NIL to then turn and complain about lack of recruiting.

Sure, it's a silly conversation that we even have to it. But we do, it's the world we are in, people need to stop bitching about it, and either acknowledge and participate in its existence, or find another hobby.
Not sure I've bitched much about the players brought in...but when the season starts, I expect them to...you know...not suck. And, if they do suck, I will sit there in my season ticket seats and bitch about it, I guess in your eyes -> free of charge. Or, maybe I'd be stealing? :lol: It's like it's $(pick a #) a month to be able to bitch about anything, everyone else just stfu.
And, whether one contributes or not, not sucking is a reasonable expectation. Good PSA though, "if you can read this and refuse to pay the NILpiper, YOU are the reason the team is not successful." Great messaging :roll:
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

You pay a couple of my bills, I'll donate to NIL. Deal?
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Probably the most ridiculous thing you have said RJ. And I like most of your posts. Show me any other sport, pro or non, where a season ticket holder also has to pay for the players? That is just nonsense. If season tix and media doesn't pay for players, then guess what?? The players don't get any money. I, myself, refuse to pay for NIL. First I don't even know the NAMES of the players on URI right now. Second, if you showed me an IMAGE of a URI player outside of a uniform, I would probably not recognize them. Third, I don't even know if I LIKE them. Why would I pay for something I don't know?
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

What a stupid comment. Why do you even come on the board as a PC fan to talk about something that your team doesn't have to go through. Completely different circumstances. Expecting people to have to contribute to the NIL or they are part of the problem makes no sense. People last year would have been contributing to Montgomery, House, Rory, Brown and on and on. If they want to bring in someone of Devin Carter's talent maybe people would contribute some money, but there isn't a player on this roster that feels worthy of any money to me outside of their scholarship. It is different at PC where they have the Big East and money gets thrown around like spare change. People are shelling out money for season tickets, donations and money for the NIL. What is next? I'm not sure everyone is a millionaire and will disregard their expenses to contribute money for low end players in my opinion.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Maybe a better way to go about this is set up an NIL contact list. Then, when a player is interested and a set price is made, you let the NIL collective know the price and player? If the NIL collective likes the player, they contribute. If not, then the player is out.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Thinking about this more. Say the collective was a mass of fans, say 5k or 10k. And an email goes out and says we can get this guy for $1M. If you agree and submit credit card info and the deal goes through you will be charged. If not enough people agree you will not be charged? At least give the freaking people paying for the players the decision on the players.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

theblueram wrote: 1 week ago Thinking about this more. Say the collective was a mass of fans, say 5k or 10k. And an email goes out and says we can get this guy for $1M. If you agree and submit credit card info and the deal goes through you will be charged. If not enough people agree you will not be charged? At least give the freaking people paying for the players the decision on the players.
Hahahahhaa yea.

Message board posters who are senior citizens, 20+, 30+, middle aged, all with zero D1 coaching and recruiting experience, should have the decision to get a player or not.

My god dude.
Go Rhody
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

RamStock wrote: 1 week ago

What a stupid comment. Why do you even come on the board as a PC fan to talk about something that your team doesn't have to go through. Completely different circumstances. Expecting people to have to contribute to the NIL or they are part of the problem makes no sense. People last year would have been contributing to Montgomery, House, Rory, Brown and on and on. If they want to bring in someone of Devin Carter's talent maybe people would contribute some money, but there isn't a player on this roster that feels worthy of any money to me outside of their scholarship. It is different at PC where they have the Big East and money gets thrown around like spare change. People are shelling out money for season tickets, donations and money for the NIL. What is next? I'm not sure everyone is a millionaire and will disregard their expenses to contribute money for low end players in my opinion.
You don't think PC doesn't have to go through this? There are fans making the same comments and I feel the exact same. But PC also has NIL donors who have assured the coach price will never be an issue if he wants a given player. I agree that's an advantage.

To your point on player talent, isn't that possibly indicative on the type of funding your NIL has? Isn't it possible if more fans were donating more funds, the quality of player goes up? If you are letting your coach go to war with a hatchet, it's going to be difficult to come out victorious.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 1 week ago
theblueram wrote: 1 week ago Thinking about this more. Say the collective was a mass of fans, say 5k or 10k. And an email goes out and says we can get this guy for $1M. If you agree and submit credit card info and the deal goes through you will be charged. If not enough people agree you will not be charged? At least give the freaking people paying for the players the decision on the players.
Hahahahhaa yea.

Message board posters who are senior citizens, 20+, 30+, middle aged, all with zero D1 coaching and recruiting experience, should have the decision to get a player or not.

My god dude.
Well, then why should we pay for them? That would be like pay me $10k to do your roof over and I will select the contractor for you. You ok with that? Because I know you are not a roofer and have no experience in that, let me select who should do it. Would you trust me? I don't trust a coach until he has proven his worth. So far, Miller hasn't proven shit.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

You don't think PC doesn't have to go through this? There are fans making the same comments and I feel the exact same. But PC also has NIL donors who have assured the coach price will never be an issue if he wants a given player. I agree that's an advantage.

To your point on player talent, isn't that possibly indicative on the type of funding your NIL has? Isn't it possible if more fans were donating more funds, the quality of player goes up? If you are letting your coach go to war with a hatchet, it's going to be difficult to come out victorious.
LOL...as soon as you say, "has donors...price will never be an issue"...you lose your right to talk about this team. That is joke-ish. That is like the exact opposite of the $25 month bake sale subscription you think we should all sign up for...that's actually pretty funny. "You over there, average fan, need to pony up for your team...us, over here, well, we have 'price not an issue' donors...but, you, you guys should all contribute every dime you can afford...or, you're the problem"
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

This is getting Silly. The College Basketball landscape has changed. NIL is the golden goose. Do I like that NO but would I rather contribute to something I don’t like to hopefully keep URI Basketball from turning into BU or Northeastern Basketball permanently. Yes!!

DONATE TO NIL!

GO RHODY!
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

It looks like Rhody used NIL money to get Jamarques Lawrence, bring Sebastian Thomas back, and retain a few players like Cam Estevez and Jayden House.

I'm guessing the few recruiting battles they lost recently are at least in part due to getting outbid for the players they were after.

I don't blame NIL for losing the Ben Hammond commitment. That is a completely different animal, imo.

All and all, I think URI is doing a decent job with what they have to work with. The cupboard is not bare. This roster kind of reminds of a decent Al Skinner year roster. Our coach needs to get the most out of them, however, like Al Skinner did.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

jcru wrote: 1 week ago It looks like Rhody used NIL money to get Jamarques Lawrence, bring Sebastian Thomas back, and retain a few players like Cam Estevez and Jayden House.

I'm guessing the few recruiting battles they lost recently are at least in part due to getting outbid for the players they were after.

I don't blame NIL for losing the Ben Hammond commitment. That is a completely different animal, imo.

All and all, I think URI is doing a decent job with what they have to work with. The cupboard is not bare. This roster kind of reminds of a decent Al Skinner year roster. Our coach needs to get the most out of them, however, like Al Skinner did.
How can you say this is similar roster to decent Al Skinner team? The so called core returning is from a last place that played a very weak schedule. I’m just not calling the St. John’s transfer or Sebastian great gets. Sebastian came back because he was from RI and is still a very suspect shooter. I’ll root for him, but think he is a better story than impact player. Lawrence looks like he could be pretty good, but to this point has averaged 6 points a game. Whether it is the NIL or that Archie is a very questionable recruiter I’m not sure how anyone can praise this roster. Could they surprise and win 19-20 games? Yes. The schedule isn’t great and the conference is very average, but they could also be in the bottom half of the league again.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

jcru wrote: 1 week ago It looks like Rhody used NIL money to get Jamarques Lawrence, bring Sebastian Thomas back, and retain a few players like Cam Estevez and Jayden House.

How can you say this is similar roster to decent Al Skinner team? The so called core returning is from a last place that played a very weak schedule. I’m just not calling the St. John’s transfer or Sebastian great gets. Sebastian came back because he was from RI and is still a very suspect shooter. I’ll root for him, but think he is a better story than impact player. Lawrence looks like he could be pretty good, but to this point has averaged 6 points a game. Whether it is the NIL or that Archie is a very questionable recruiter I’m not sure how anyone can praise this roster. Could they surprise and win 19-20 games? Yes. The schedule isn’t great and the conference is very average, but they could also be in the bottom half of the league again.
What is your definition of an impact player? Or what is your prediction on Bassys numbers?? How many pts and assists per game will he have this year?

And there are a ton of examples of high major players that had a role and stats very similar or worse than Lawerence that dropped down a level and put up huge numbers. And it’s not a big deal but you’ve said 6 pts a few times on here. He averaged 7 a game. And 8.4 in his final 15 in the big 10 as a sophomore. I know it’s hard for some to believe but it’s possible he could make a nice jump in the A10 like so many other players have.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

brady1 wrote: 1 week ago This is getting Silly. The College Basketball landscape has changed. NIL is the golden goose. Do I like that NO but would I rather contribute to something I don’t like to hopefully keep URI Basketball from turning into BU or Northeastern Basketball permanently. Yes!!

DONATE TO NIL!

GO RHODY!

i agree

DONATE Y’ALL
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

Where do I turn in my gear?
:lol:
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 week ago

What is your definition of an impact player? Or what is your prediction on Bassys numbers?? How many pts and assists per game will he have this year?

And there are a ton of examples of high major players that had a role and stats very similar or worse than Lawerence that dropped down a level and put up huge numbers. And it’s not a big deal but you’ve said 6 pts a few times on here. He averaged 7 a game. And 8.4 in his final 15 in the big 10 as a sophomore. I know it’s hard for some to believe but it’s possible he could make a nice jump in the A10 like so many other players have.
I like Lawrence, but I also liked Zek last year and thought he would be the best player on the team. I think the problem is no matter who we bring in people start praising Archie. He has done a worse job than Cox up to this point no matter how much people love him. From my perspective his recruiting is very shaky. He is not in on big names at all. Bassy is a nice story, but he isn’t making a big difference in this team winning is still a very weak 3 point shooter. I know that isn’t why they got him. The St. John’s recruit is like getting an end of the bench player. Bassy could average 9 points a game and make a bigger impact than if he averaged 13 Ppg in terms of distribution and defense so I don’t care about the points per game. House scores points, but has been on very bad teams his whole career and never has clutch points to push his team to wins against good teams. I guess I am sour because once again we are fielding a team with no shot at making the tourney and you no longer can build with returning players.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I'm kind of confused by your response.

Do you recall the Al Skinner years? There was the Abdul Fox year, and then of course the last two years, and a bunch of non factor years in between.

The roster typically consisted of holdovers and one, two, or three additional players. That's pretty much what we have here.

In this day and age, with everything that is going on in the NCAA right now, I think this is about as similar to a retro 1990's URI roster as you are going to get.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 week ago

LOL...as soon as you say, "has donors...price will never be an issue"...you lose your right to talk about this team. That is joke-ish. That is like the exact opposite of the $25 month bake sale subscription you think we should all sign up for...that's actually pretty funny. "You over there, average fan, need to pony up for your team...us, over here, well, we have 'price not an issue' donors...but, you, you guys should all contribute every dime you can afford...or, you're the problem"
It's more or less common sense... X fans donating y dollars monthly = z NIL dollars annually. 5,000 people, $25 a month, $1.5 million a year. That would be competitive for many schools/players. If many of the fans take the elitist "this isn't the college basketball I love" attitude, then you get mediocre NIL, mediocre talent, and have to hope your coach can turn shit into gold.

For the record, I put my money where my mouth is. I have my monthly recurring NIL subscription. $25 a month is practically one coffee I have to give up a week. Not saying everyone should spend every dollar of disposable income they have. Not saying people living paycheck to paycheck should be worrying about NIL. I'm talking strictly about those who could comfortably donate, who'd rather bitch about the quality of recruits but do nothing to help.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

jcru wrote: 1 week ago I'm kind of confused by your response.

Do you recall the Al Skinner years? There was the Abdul Fox year, and then of course the last two years, and a bunch of non factor years in between.

The roster typically consisted of holdovers and one, two, or three additional players. That's pretty much what we have here.

In this day and age, with everything that is going on in the NCAA right now, I think this is about as similar to a retro 1990's URI roster as you are going to get.
It isn’t that confusing when you take into consideration that those players on Skinners team were much better than the ones on this team. Every year prior to the season we say how good this team is and how underrated it is and they flat out stink. Back in the 90’s there wasn’t 7-9new players on the roster every year. Nothing about about this team or college basketball reminds me about any prior teams. In the 90’s you could improve one step at a time by making the NIT and than the tourney. That isn’t happening in today’s college basketball.
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

The only thing constant in life is change. NIL has changed College Basketball. It’s not URI’s fault or Archie’s or the A-10’s. People that embrace change in life have a chance to succeed. People that fight change usually fail or just end up way below average. Let’s all put our big boy panties on stop bitching about something we can’t change and move forward.

GO RHODY!!!!!!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

It's more or less common sense... X fans donating y dollars monthly = z NIL dollars annually. 5,000 people, $25 a month, $1.5 million a year. That would be competitive for many schools/players. If many of the fans take the elitist "this isn't the college basketball I love" attitude, then you get mediocre NIL, mediocre talent, and have to hope your coach can turn shit into gold.

For the record, I put my money where my mouth is. I have my monthly recurring NIL subscription. $25 a month is practically one coffee I have to give up a week. Not saying everyone should spend every dollar of disposable income they have. Not saying people living paycheck to paycheck should be worrying about NIL. I'm talking strictly about those who could comfortably donate, who'd rather bitch about the quality of recruits but do nothing to help.
The math model you keep tossing out there is laughable. They can't get 5,000 fans to go to A GAME - not THE games, but A freeking game. So, now you're trying to get people that don't go to games, don't know the players, and can't even watch them on TV...to contribute $25/month. Seems you think it is, but that doesn't sound like "common sense."

And it's hard to take advice on what to do with my money from someone that spends $6+ a day on coffee, one of the biggest wastes of money in America. Maybe if you made your own coffee at home, you could contribute $100 per month? And, since you seem to have such great interest in this team as well as advice for fans, and your team already has "price is no object" donors, you could throw $25/month to Rhody? Since they obviously don't need your money at PC anyway? ;)

Why would anyone contribute to a NIL if there are donors out there saying price is no object? Why do you do it? Is it because it gives you good feelz? Like, does it make you feel like you're helping build the squad, even though they already said they don't need your money?

This current NIL fiasco/setup will be gone soon and I think the "coffee $ per month" type donors are going to feel seriously duped after (because they will be). Hard pass, I'll just wait for the lawsuit that busts open the golden goose and the players get the $$ they're supposed to versus the Shakedown Street way, thanks.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I can see it already next season, the PA announcer thanks everyone for coming and says and if you would like a better product to cheer on, don’t forget to join the collective and start paying the players.

Maybe they’ll have heart warming stories and you can symbolically adopt one like all those adds on tv, for less than a dollar a day you can pay a player, we will send a profile of your player and weekly updates of how they are spending your money!

Remember a free college education isn’t nearly enough! College debt is not real, it’s not holding back a generation or more of adults in the US. FAKE NEWS
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RIFan wrote: 1 week ago I can see it already next season, the PA announcer thanks everyone for coming and says and if you would like a better product to cheer on, don’t forget to join the collective and start paying the players.

Maybe they’ll have heart warming stories and you can symbolically adopt one like all those adds on tv, for less than a dollar a day you can pay a player, we will send a profile of your player and weekly updates of how they are spending your money!

Remember a free college education isn’t nearly enough! College debt is not real, it’s not holding back a generation or more of adults in the US. FAKE NEWS
"...won't you please call right now, and pony up a dollar day, to help make sure Johnny the player gets at least a Mustang and isn't stuck driving some lame old piece of crap ...?"
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

The math model you keep tossing out there is laughable. They can't get 5,000 fans to go to A GAME - not THE games, but A freeking game. So, now you're trying to get people that don't go to games, don't know the players, and can't even watch them on TV...to contribute $25/month. Seems you think it is, but that doesn't sound like "common sense."

And it's hard to take advice on what to do with my money from someone that spends $6+ a day on coffee, one of the biggest wastes of money in America. Maybe if you made your own coffee at home, you could contribute $100 per month? And, since you seem to have such great interest in this team as well as advice for fans, and your team already has "price is no object" donors, you could throw $25/month to Rhody? Since they obviously don't need your money at PC anyway? ;)

Why would anyone contribute to a NIL if there are donors out there saying price is no object? Why do you do it? Is it because it gives you good feelz? Like, does it make you feel like you're helping build the squad, even though they already said they don't need your money?

This current NIL fiasco/setup will be gone soon and I think the "coffee $ per month" type donors are going to feel seriously duped after (because they will be). Hard pass, I'll just wait for the lawsuit that busts open the golden goose and the players get the $$ they're supposed to versus the Shakedown Street way, thanks.
So what does your alternate universe look like?

NIL is dumb, only idiots donate, and the coaching staff should be able to identify and land talent who want to be here for the right reasons at limited cost?

As for me, I believe NIL requires continuous growth and affordability now may not mean affordability later, so I (and hopefully many others) continue to fill the NIL chest to keep the program in a competitive spot.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

NIL is dumb, only idiots donate, and the coaching staff should be able to identify and land talent who want to be here for the right reasons at limited cost?
The NIL is dumb, form your own conclusion on the intelligence of donors, I'm not.
In the very near future, player procurement will be funded by something very different from the $25 from the 5,000 fans (that don't exist here).

This is not PC. You already let us know that PC has 'price is no object' donors. (btw, that is not what it looks like, just sayin')
If someone else is already saying, "I/we got this, no matter the price", and NIL is everything....
a) shouldn't PC have a Final 4 contending squad this year?
b) are you contributing just to ease the load for some other rich(er) dude?
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

The NIL is dumb, form your own conclusion on the intelligence of donors, I'm not.
In the very near future, player procurement will be funded by something very different $25 from the 5,000 fans (that don't exist here).

Seriously though...in your case. You already let us know that PC has 'price is no object' donors. (btw, that is not what it looks like)
If someone else is already saying, "I/we got this, no matter the price", and NIL is everything....
At PC, the 25 dollar a monthers are funding the 13th player at the end of the bench (and maybe the 12th too.) The rich ones are funding the top 10 or 11. But it's all about, as you say, 'feeling good', to be a part of it and think that you're actually helping..
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

I like Lawrence, but I also liked Zek last year and thought he would be the best player on the team. I think the problem is no matter who we bring in people start praising Archie. He has done a worse job than Cox up to this point no matter how much people love him. From my perspective his recruiting is very shaky. He is not in on big names at all. Bassy is a nice story, but he isn’t making a big difference in this team winning is still a very weak 3 point shooter. I know that isn’t why they got him. The St. John’s recruit is like getting an end of the bench player. Bassy could average 9 points a game and make a bigger impact than if he averaged 13 Ppg in terms of distribution and defense so I don’t care about the points per game. House scores points, but has been on very bad teams his whole career and never has clutch points to push his team to wins against good teams. I guess I am sour because once again we are fielding a team with no shot at making the tourney and you no longer can build with returning players.

Archie is being praised for every recruit? This place is miserable; he’s not being praised. He’s been terrible in back-to-back years. I complained about his coaching and recruiting a lot last year, and so did many others, for good reason. Many fans, including myself, expected some home runs with his first two classes. He was praised a lot more then because he was an incredible get on paper, but that hype has died.

There are still people, like myself, who believe in him and try to remain optimistic. Lawrence was a good get, and he should get credit for that. He should also get credit for bringing back his best players, including two strong freshmen. Is this an amazing accomplishment worthy of coach of the year? No. But it’s a step in the right direction.

People aren’t praising the landing of Bassy. They are defending Bassy because many people, like yourself, claim that he won’t even make an impact! He’s drastically improved his game in many ways, but there are quite a few who act like he’s going to be a bad A10 player. Yes, his 3-point shooting isn’t good, but it’s much better than it was, and he took over five shots per game last year. He’s without question a better shooter and scorer than he was as a sophomore, and he’ll show that.

As for Traore, we don’t know. I was told he’s better than Brown. If that’s the case, he’s not an end-of-the-bench player. I thought we could do better when we landed him. I didn’t see Archie get praised at all for Traore. It’s a below-average get at best on paper. We’ll see.

My goal is to see Archie get us out of this sinking ship. I think we have the roster that can beat a lot of teams in what should be an average A10. If everything clicks, why can’t we be like Duquesne this year? Do I think it will happen? Nope. But I just want to see us be a top 5 A10 team again. If Archie doesn’t have us land a bid in the next three years, I think he’s gone. The days of us blinding having faith in him because he was a stud at Dayton is gone. It’s time for results. Our fanbase knows that, Thorr knows that, and Archie knows that.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

In the very near future, player procurement will be funded by something very different from the $25 from the 5,000 fans (that don't exist here).

This is not PC. You already let us know that PC has 'price is no object' donors. (btw, that is not what it looks like, just sayin')
Do I think I alone am easing the load? Of course not. $300 in the scope of a multi-million dollar enterprise is nothing. Do I hope that I'm playing the part (with thousands of others) of helping to ease the burden? Sure.

NIL is only part of college basketball. You still need to identify the right guys, develop guys, they have to be interested, etc. But I would hate if my coach was losing guys he wanted solely because he couldn't compete financially.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Usually you need to re-up a coach before their last year…so that would mean an NCAA this year or next…right?
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Some of us have already tried to explain many times why it’s important for our fans to donate now, but it’s pointless to keep going back and forth, RJ.

The truth is, I don’t want to pay for players or throw money toward NIL either. However, the rest of the conference and the country are doing it. I can either chip in what I can and hope enough fans do the same, trusting that Archie will get the job done, or I can refuse to do it. If I donate for a few years and we know Archie has had a solid NIL fund and we continue to underperform, I’ll most likely stop. But I want to atleast see what he can do in a somewhat even playing field. We know with the right guys he can be a fantastic coach. This isn’t David Cox.

NOW is the time to see what Archie can do. Now is the time to donate, even if it’s just $10 a month. I’m honestly amazed at how stubborn and negative some people are being here. I truly understand if you can’t budget anything, but I would be willing to bet my life savings that a lot of people here can throw $10-$50 toward NIL once a month. If you don’t think it helps, you’re wrong. If enough people do it, it will definitely help us land better players when you add that to all the other donors donating more.

But it is what it is. We already don’t have a huge fanbase, and this is the place that’s supposed to be for diehards. Last I looked we were 50/50 on the poll asking if people will donate to NIL. For our entire fanbase that makes sense to me but for a place that I thought was mainly full of diehard fanatics, I couldn’t believe half the people here won’t donate… Not only that but it just seems more negative than ever on here. Now it’s just the same handful of people being negative about everything! If you go to this thread, people are bashing Rhody Excellence yet again. Then you go to the transfer thread, and we either have people bashing NIL, praising other teams, coaches, and recruits, or bashing who we are going after or not hearing any news.

What about threads on new recruits? Still mostly negative. If we offer a kid who isn’t offered by Duke, UConn, and Kentucky, the same handful of people here automatically think he’s not going to make an impact. That includes a 7-footer recruited by one of the best coaches in the history of the game. We land Lawrence and someone asks why would he ever come to RI? Others ignore that he put up solid numbers in a much better conference on an NCAA tournament team..We get a former Rhode Island kid who’s coming back after an incredible jump in production last season, and multiple people act like the kid sucks. It’s incredible what people come up with on here just to be negative. I had an argument with someone who said he’s slower than Luis Kortright! Someone actually felt Bassy was slower than Luis! Then they bring up his shooting percentage. I break down a list of former Rhody greats who shot under 43%, and what do they say? Nothing. Heck, even Bassy’s biggest hater in his first two years, Blueman, admitted that Bassy fills a serious need and got better. I respect him for admitting that. Then we have the people on here who refuse to believe that returning players can improve! It happens all around the country but it won’t happen to us. That really makes us look great to recruits that come here!

How about our season ticket thread? People are upset that there’s a deadline on renewing your seats, like every other fanbase in the country. People on here have to be negative about EVERYTHING.

Their excuse? Other fanbases can be miserable too!

So, long story short, I understand what you’re saying, RJ. I’m not going to say they are bad fans or can’t complain if they don’t donate, but I do wish they would donate or at the very least try to slightly more positive. Obviously winning will help cure a lot. Hopefully Archie can turn it around this year.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Some of us have already tried to explain many times why it’s important for our fans to donate now, but it’s pointless to keep going back and forth, RJ.

The truth is, I don’t want to pay for players or throw money toward NIL either. However, the rest of the conference and the country are doing it. I can either chip in what I can and hope enough fans do the same, trusting that Archie will get the job done, or I can refuse to do it. If I donate for a few years and we know Archie has had a solid NIL fund and we continue to underperform, I’ll most likely stop. But I want to atleast see what he can do in a somewhat even playing field. We know with the right guys he can be a fantastic coach. This isn’t David Cox.

NOW is the time to see what Archie can do. Now is the time to donate, even if it’s just $10 a month. I’m honestly amazed at how stubborn and negative some people are being here. I truly understand if you can’t budget anything, but I would be willing to bet my life savings that a lot of people here can throw $10-$50 toward NIL once a month. If you don’t think it helps, you’re wrong. If enough people do it, it will definitely help us land better players when you add that to all the other donors donating more.

But it is what it is. We already don’t have a huge fanbase, and this is the place that’s supposed to be for diehards. Last I looked we were 50/50 on the poll asking if people will donate to NIL. For our entire fanbase that makes sense to me but for a place that I thought was mainly full of diehard fanatics, I couldn’t believe half the people here won’t donate… Not only that but it just seems more negative than ever on here. Now it’s just the same handful of people being negative about everything! If you go to this thread, people are bashing Rhody Excellence yet again. Then you go to the transfer thread, and we either have people bashing NIL, praising other teams, coaches, and recruits, or bashing who we are going after or not hearing any news.

What about threads on new recruits? Still mostly negative. If we offer a kid who isn’t offered by Duke, UConn, and Kentucky, the same handful of people here automatically think he’s not going to make an impact. That includes a 7-footer recruited by one of the best coaches in the history of the game. We land Lawrence and someone asks why would he ever come to RI? Others ignore that he put up solid numbers in a much better conference on an NCAA tournament team..We get a former Rhode Island kid who’s coming back after an incredible jump in production last season, and multiple people act like the kid sucks. It’s incredible what people come up with on here just to be negative. I had an argument with someone who said he’s slower than Luis Kortright! Someone actually felt Bassy was slower than Luis! Then they bring up his shooting percentage. I break down a list of former Rhody greats who shot under 43%, and what do they say? Nothing. Heck, even Bassy’s biggest hater in his first two years, Blueman, admitted that Bassy fills a serious need and got better. I respect him for admitting that. Then we have the people on here who refuse to believe that returning players can improve! It happens all around the country but it won’t happen to us. That really makes us look great to recruits that come here!

How about our season ticket thread? People are upset that there’s a deadline on renewing your seats, like every other fanbase in the country. People on here have to be negative about EVERYTHING.

So, long story short, I understand what you’re saying, RJ. I’m not going to say they are bad fans or can’t complain if they don’t donate, but I do wish they would donate or at the very least try to slightly more positive. Obviously winning will help cure a lot. Hopefully Archie can turn it around this year.
That's what happens when the team has been terrible for 4 years. Most people here agree that the Cox years were horrendous. Almost everybody was bashing Cox and the program at the time. You know what Cox's record was here? 64-55. Even in his final 2 years that were even worse than the first 2, that eventually got him fired, Cox was 25-31. Since Archie has arrived, it has only got worse. In his 2 years, he is 21-42 and that's with a lot of supposed cupcakes in the OOC schedule. Yes, Archie's first 2 years are comparable to Dan's record wise, but wasn't it supposed to be a much quicker fix now with the portal? He has struck out with the portal. Of all the transfers he has brought in, only 3 remain. That's a pretty bad batting average. Anyway, I don't know why it was ok for everyone to bash Cox and the program 2 years ago, but it's not ok now. For fans attitude to change,there has to be a dramatic improvement this season or his job should be on the line. No excuses.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Do I think I alone am easing the load? Of course not. $300 in the scope of a multi-million dollar enterprise is nothing. Do I hope that I'm playing the part (with thousands of others) of helping to ease the burden? Sure.

NIL is only part of college basketball. You still need to identify the right guys, develop guys, they have to be interested, etc. But I would hate if my coach was losing guys he wanted solely because he couldn't compete financially.
How is it that you know that Archie is losing players solely because of financial issues? What insight do you have on the program? Is this going to be his excuse if he doesn’t turn things around? While a lot of the recruiting is behind the scenes he just never seems to be in on any big splashes. Hopefully he turns it around, but man does he get a pass for the little he has done compared to Cox. The last 6 years for Miller have not been good.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 week ago

That's what happens when the team has been terrible for 4 years. Most people here agree that the Cox years were horrendous. Almost everybody was bashing Cox and the program at the time. You know what Cox's record was here? 64-55. Even in his final 2 years that were even worse than the first 2, that eventually got him fired, Cox was 25-31. Since Archie has arrived, it has only got worse. In his 2 years, he is 21-42 and that's with a lot of supposed cupcakes in the OOC schedule. Yes, Archie's first 2 years are comparable to Dan's record wise, but wasn't it supposed to be a much quicker fix now with the portal? He has struck out with the portal. Of all the transfers he has brought in, only 3 remain. That's a pretty bad batting average. Anyway, I don't know why it was ok for everyone to bash Cox and the program 2 years ago, but it's not ok now. For fans attitude to change,there has to be a dramatic improvement this season or his job should be on the line. No excuses.
There’s a big difference between fans’ attitudes changing and people like you who find a reason to be negative about every little thing. I’m very worried about our future and think Archie has been a huge disappointment, but man, it’s always something negative with you and a handful of others lately. All I’m saying is we can either be miserable about everything or try to look forward. We should be better this year and could make a nice jump.

Cox inherited a totally different program, so comparing him to Archie is stupid to me, but whatever. Archie has been bashed plenty on here. I’ve said plenty about him getting out-coached and losing to bad teams. His seat is 100% getting warm if he has another bad year, and we need to see results now.

I also know this, though: if we don’t have a comparable NIL to most A10 teams, it won’t matter who the head coach is, but some of you don’t seem to get that.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

How is it that you know that Archie is losing players solely because of financial issues? What insight do you have on the program? Is this going to be his excuse if he doesn’t turn things around? While a lot of the recruiting is behind the scenes he just never seems to be in on any big splashes. Hopefully he turns it around, but man does he get a pass for the little he has done compared to Cox. The last 6 years for Miller have not been good.
I know for a fact (unless they are lying) that we were in the mix with two players last year from high majors that asked for a $$ amount that we couldn’t come remotely close to offering. Idk about all the others but I’m sure it’s a big factor for some that we are losing. That’s a big reason why they have put such an emphasis on getting Rhody Excellence started and hiring Stone
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

The thing that gets me is the court case that is pending was brought by a swimmer…how much NIL was that person thinking they were missing out on?
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RIFan wrote: 1 week ago The thing that gets me is the court case that is pending was brought by a swimmer…how much NIL was that person thinking they were missing out on?
"all of it"? same as almost every other athlete in any other sport still is?
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

There’s a big difference between fans’ attitudes changing and people like you who find a reason to be negative about every little thing. I’m very worried about our future and think Archie has been a huge disappointment, but man, it’s always something negative with you and a handful of others lately. All I’m saying is we can either be miserable about everything or try to look forward. We should be better this year and could make a nice jump.

Cox inherited a totally different program, so comparing him to Archie is stupid to me, but whatever. Archie has been bashed plenty on here. I’ve said plenty about him getting out-coached and losing to bad teams. His seat is 100% getting warm if he has another bad year, and we need to see results now.

I also know this, though: if we don’t have a comparable NIL to most A10 teams, it won’t matter who the head coach is, but some of you don’t seem to get that.
I've been positive for the most part during my 50 or so years as a fan. I'm sure I was negative during the Jerry D time and the end of Baron's time. With Hurley,even with a rough start, I saw the program was going in a good direction, so I was excited about that. As recently as the Ben Hammond recruitment (if you notice, I started his thread and was probably his biggest fan), I was very excited about him coming here and what he could do to kick start the program again.The combination of the craziness of the portal, NIL, losing Hammond and being terrible for 4 years in a row, it's been a rough time following the team I love. I 'm dying to see us get to a tourney again, maybe even win a game or 2 (or 3 like in '98). Those are the best of times.If you've followed my posts over the years, you'll notice how I love talking about the history of URI basketball, back to the Keaney days, through the 60s, the 70s (when I was there), the 80s and up to the present. All the teams, all the great players. I want to get that feeling again. To me, the last 4 years have been the worst of times. 46-73 record in those 4 years. I'd have to do some research, but If that's not the worst 4 year stretch in our history, it must be close. I want a reason to be positive again. Let's hope it starts soon.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

I know for a fact (unless they are lying) that we were in the mix with two players last year from high majors that asked for a $$ amount that we couldn’t come remotely close to offering. Idk about all the others but I’m sure it’s a big factor for some that we are losing. That’s a big reason why they have put such an emphasis on getting Rhody Excellence started and hiring Stone
Being serious on this. Why wouldn’t they go to a Tom Ryan or one of the big boosters for this? They are not going to collect enough of these $100 a month donations from people to make a difference. It is starting to feel like the money used for the new practice facility could have been used for paying these players. I’m not sure the facilities make much of a difference anymore. Is it nice to have the new practice facility-yes. The idea any of the players on last years team got paid on top of their scholarship is a tough pill to swallow.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Being serious on this. Why wouldn’t they go to a Tom Ryan or one of the big boosters for this? They are not going to collect enough of these $100 a month donations from people to make a difference. It is starting to feel like the money used for the new practice facility could have been used for paying these players. I’m not sure the facilities make much of a difference anymore. Is it nice to have the new practice facility-yes. The idea any of the players on last years team got paid on top of their scholarship is a tough pill to swallow.
Yeah, I agree. I wonder about the practice facility, too. I bet they wish they could get that donation back and put it toward NIL. We definitely still rely on big donors like Tom Ryan. They are by far the most important, but we can also be a piece of the puzzle that helps. But based on the types of responses I'm seeing here, you're probably right that we won't have enough people. Which sucks.. Hopefully, Stone can find more, but he clearly has his work cut out for him. I personally try to donate around 3 to 5k a year if I can budget it. If most of our fans won't donate, which it seems that way, then I'm probably wasting money, but whatever. For now, I will do what I can to help this team. I wish I had millions but this is the most I can do.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

I've been positive for the most part during my 50 or so years as a fan. I'm sure I was negative during the Jerry D time and the end of Baron's time. With Hurley,even with a rough start, I saw the program was going in a good direction, so I was excited about that. As recently as the Ben Hammond recruitment (if you notice, I started his thread and was probably his biggest fan), I was very excited about him coming here and what he could do to kick start the program again.The combination of the craziness of the portal, NIL, losing Hammond and being terrible for 4 years in a row, it's been a rough time following the team I love. I 'm dying to see us get to a tourney again, maybe even win a game or 2 (or 3 like in '98). Those are the best of times.If you've followed my posts over the years, you'll notice how I love talking about the history of URI basketball, back to the Keaney days, through the 60s, the 70s (when I was there), the 80s and up to the present. All the teams, all the great players. I want to get that feeling again. To me, the last 4 years have been the worst of times. 46-73 record in those 4 years. I'd have to do some research, but If that's not the worst 4 year stretch in our history, it must be close. I want a reason to be positive again. Let's hope it starts soon.
Yeah, we are all sick of losing and being at the bottom of the A10. We all want to win and land a bid. I don't like spending money on season tickets and NIL, or the gas I spend driving 90 minutes each way to watch us get beat by Brown at home. Anyone who loves this team has dealt with these horrible seasons. I understand why you're down on the team, Archie, and college basketball in general. I would guess most of us are, including myself. But right now, this is the best team Archie has had as our coach. It's the first year we are bringing back impactful players in the A10. It's the first time we are bringing back impactful freshmen. It's the first time he's bringing in someone who could be a big difference-maker on both ends in Lawrence. I agree that it shouldn't have taken this long for these things to happen, but it did. So yes, he did a horrible job in years 1 and 2. Yes, my guard is up, and I have serious concerns. But we finally have some things to build upon, so instead of having every thread flooded with negativity, I hope we can all give Archie one more season to get this team back on track. I truly believe he will get us back on track starting this year.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

soent today at red’s ice house - what did i miss ?
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

spent my money on myself today and it was FAN-tastic !

red’s is great - highly recommend it !

you see - i am not afraid to simply walk away … no problem … if that’s where this road leads to then that’s where it leads to