Men's Basketball Transfer Carousel and Portal - 2024-25

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Re: Men's Basketball Transfer Carousel and Portal - 2024-25

Unread post by Blue Man »

Ramfan22 wrote: 1 week ago Now that it’s out there (Rhody Vault tweeted it) Javonte Brown was the other 7 footer I’m aware of that visited. His stats really aren’t far off from Zapala, plus he does have high major experience although he didn’t play a whole lot at A&M and UConn.
Lmao he’s the king of “breaking news” right before it’s about to be announced.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 weeks ago
Section104 wrote: 3 weeks ago I would imagine a name to keep an eye on - now followed on Twitter by our new assistant coach - is Bent Leuchten - 7'1 UC Irvine transfer from Germany that is being recruited by Missouri, Xavier, VCU, Oregon State, and more...

Former teammate of David Fuchs in Germany
Another 7-footer to maybe keep an eye on is Javonte Brown who started out at UConn, then Texas A&M, and lastly at Western Mi.
He was a 4* from Ontario, Canada.
Yes Blue Man, many of us were already aware.
I posted this over a week ago, I hope we get him.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 week ago Now it’s between MSU and VCU?? lol, this entire process is absurd.
I think part of what adds to the absurdity is that we have all these amateur "journalist" Twitter accounts that throw out information from "sources", which could mean literally anybody, and then people accept it as fact. So then when whatever that "source" said ends up not being true it may seem like things are constantly changing when in reality they may just have been wrong. Then that account just moves on to the next rumor from a "source" and on and on it goes.

I'm not saying that's what happened with Zapala, but just in a general sense I feel like that type of stuff just adds to the noise.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

La Salle has been busy in the portal as of late.

jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 week ago La Salle has been busy in the portal as of late.

They must have a lot of NIL money
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

They can barely keep the lights on but they have a ton of NIL. NIL is the new boogie man if you don’t get a recruit. So now if we lose a recruit it’s the fans fault for not ponying up, not the guy making almost $2m a year.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Unless it's Hurley and UConn and a chance to play for the National Championship, or a situation like that, I doubt many of these players now really care who the coach is or the school is anymore. They just want to get paid. The higher bidder will get the player every time.

They must figure: if this were the pros I would have no say to which team and which coach I play for, so why worry about that at this level either? They are basically treating this like a junior professional league with very loose free agency rules. Show me the money.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

RIFan wrote: 1 week ago They can barely keep the lights on but they have a ton of NIL. NIL is the new boogie man if you don’t get a recruit. So now if we lose a recruit it’s the fans fault for not ponying up, not the guy making almost $2m a year.
Yeah, it's our fault. We suck.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RIFan wrote: 1 week ago They can barely keep the lights on but they have a ton of NIL. NIL is the new boogie man if you don’t get a recruit. So now if we lose a recruit it’s the fans fault for not ponying up, not the guy making almost $2m a year.
It's brilliant, isn't it? That's ok, the current scenario is not going to last that long.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Where did you see that they have a ton of NIL? That would be surprising to me if true.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 week ago
It's brilliant, isn't it? That's ok, the current scenario is not going to last that long.
How's that?

You're going to win Mass Millions soon?
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I was pointing out the absurdity that they would have a lot as they are hemorrhaging money and they probably have very little NIL. Just like I think JCRU was being sarcastic. I don’t know how good the players are they are signing but when good or bad things happen on the recruiting trail everyone now thinks NIL. We shouldn’t even be calling it NIL as it is not really what it is…it’s fans buying players or FBP.
Last edited by RIFan 1 week ago, edited 1 time in total.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RIFan wrote: 1 week ago I was pointing out the absurdity that they would have a lot as they are hemorrhaging money and they probably have very little NIL. Just like I think JCRU was being sarcastic. I don’t know how good the players are they are signing but when good or bad things happen on the recruiting trail everyone now thinks NIL.
Oh my bad, got it. Yeah I would be shocked if they have much NIL to offer. Would have to imagine they are near the bottom of the league in that department.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I was more thinking that, the money the players are supposed to be getting, they'll be getting. Rhody might not be near the top of that pile, but when it shakes out, I think it will make collectives seem like a quaint, quickly forgotten idea.
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

sevegny7
Art Stephenson

ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 week ago I was more thinking that, the money the players are supposed to be getting, they'll be getting. Rhody might not be near the top of that pile, but when it shakes out, I think it will make collectives seem like a quaint, quickly forgotten idea.
I agree the collectives may end up seeming quaint in the end. Honestly it could end up being a "careful what you wish for" situation for a lot of fans. If it ultimately comes down to being based on things like a share of TV revenue, ad revenue, sponsorships, etc. then URI might actually be in trouble.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Goddamn, that was filthy. Man I hope this kid proves the haters on here wrong.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 week ago
100% your fault. You two are why we finished at the bottom of the A10 in back-to-back years.

It was driving me crazy to see all the people on here and on social media blaming our head coach. Everyone knows it's not Archie's fault! He deserves the two million and shouldn't be held accountable at all. I think everyone here agrees with that.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 week ago
100% your fault. You two are why we finished at the bottom of the A10 in back-to-back years.

It was driving me crazy to see all the people on here and on social media blaming our head coach. Everyone knows it's not Archie's fault! He deserves the two million and shouldn't be held accountable at all. I think everyone here agrees with that.
Am I missing something here, or are we going off the rails on a sarcastic train 🚂 ?
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Am I missing something here, or are we going off the rails on a sarcastic train 🚂 ?
Wait, you seriously can't tell I'm being sarcastic? I didn't think I needed to actually say that. No I don't think two fans on a college basketball message board are to blame for us finishing at the bottom of the A10. And of course the head coach of our program will be held accountable.. Did you guys forget how much Archie was bashed on here for last season? For good reason. We sucked. We didn't blame the fans. We blamed him as he's the head coach. That's never going to change..
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Yep stealth 🥷 train 🚂 has morphed into crazy train!

The thread is becoming awesome!

(Of course it is a thread about crazy after all 😆)
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Remember when some posters shit on the idea of him committing to URI.

Lol I wonder what they say now that he is headed to Izzo.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Dude played 17 minutes a game at LONGWOOD.

Have a hard time seeing how he gets more minutes at a blueblood.

Seems to me an NIL move.
Last edited by Rhody15 1 week ago, edited 1 time in total.
Go Rhody
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

sevegny7 wrote: 1 week ago

This one hurts because I was told he was going to a high major, but then they backed off, so I thought we had a real shot. Dammit!! Javonte Brown came and left; we don't know how his visit went. We had others that visited, apparently, but I don't know who. Zapala produced great numbers in limited minutes but I don't think he'll do much in the Big10. We could have been a perfect place but whatever.

But yes I remember that some didn't want Zapala. For some people here, unless the kid drops like 19 a game and is pursued by teams like Georgia, USC, and Arkansas, they aren't happy. Oh wait, we landed someone like that and people still weren't happy..

For some people here, it doesn't matter. Sevegny People are going to find a reason to be negative about everything. It's not my style, but it is what it is!
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

This one hurts because I was told he was going to a high major, but then they backed off, so I thought we had a real shot. Dammit!! Javonte Brown came and left; we don't know how his visit went. We had others that visited, apparently, but I don't know who. Zapala produced great numbers in limited minutes but I don't think he'll do much in the Big10. We could have been a perfect place but whatever.

But yes I remember that some didn't want Zapala. For some people here, unless the kid drops like 19 a game and is pursued by teams like Georgia, USC, and Arkansas, they aren't happy. Oh wait, we landed someone like that and people still weren't happy..

For some people here, it doesn't matter. Sevegny People are going to find a reason to be negative about everything. It's not my style, but it is what it is!
Same. It is what it is. I just like to throw jabs when I can to prove them wrong.
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Rhody15 wrote: 1 week ago Dude played 17 minutes a game at LONGWOOD.

Have a hard time seeing how he gets more minutes at a blueblood.

Seems to me has an NIL move.
Yeah I agree he definitely went up way to high and will collect dust on the bench. But, think he could have played a solid role splitting time with Fuchs.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Same. It is what it is. I just like to throw jabs when I can to prove them wrong.
So, I'm wrong that I don't want a one year player unless that player is going to make us contend for an A10 championship. That's my opinion. You have yours. They differ. But keep jabbing if that's how you get your jollies.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Wait, you seriously can't tell I'm being sarcastic? I didn't think I needed to actually say that. No I don't think two fans on a college basketball message board are to blame for us finishing at the bottom of the A10. And of course the head coach of our program will be held accountable.. Did you guys forget how much Archie was bashed on here for last season? For good reason. We sucked. We didn't blame the fans. We blamed him as he's the head coach. That's never going to change..
I got it, but you kinda missed it…I was just talking about recruiting not all of Archie’s other failings so far that he has been bashed for. But most of it really comes down to either we have inferior players or coaching or potentially both. If it’s inferior players the blame is being shifted to the fans and NIL now more than it was before. Not sure this will be fun for many fans with the added pressure of paying the players if you want a good team. What fun is that, being pressured into something?
Last edited by RIFan 1 week ago, edited 1 time in total.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Article on expected usage of Zapala at Michigan State

https://www.verbalcommits.com/article/0 ... 5a4e844bbc
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Kind of a weird decision for Zapala, but he might be in a unique position of simply wanting the best coaching available or wanting to play on a potential NCAA tournament team, vs. getting the most minutes possible. Izzo has missed one tournament in the past 27 years, so Michigan State is a pretty safe bet if that's his goal, from the available options he had. He's an international student, so he might not be able to profit from NIL, depending on what kind of visa he's here on. He can also probably play professionally in Europe for a while whenever his U.S. collegiate career is over.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Thanks for posting that, Ramster.

So, per the story, Zapala is 3rd on the depth chart at the 5 currently. Although, I am sure he will be given an opportunity to prove he is worthy of moving into 2nd on the depth chart.

That said, he could have had more opportunity to play here, I believe, or at VCU or at Wich St.

Was the NIL that large of a spread for him (possibly 3rd on the depth chart at MSU) between MSU and Rhody/VCU/Wich St) to justify mostly riding the bench?

And, does that mean MSU and other P2’s or P6’s willing to out spend high mid-majors for someone to ride the bench as potentially 3rd on the depth chart?

That’s crazy to me if any power conf teams are willing to pay players above what a high mid-major would pay just so that power conf team could have added depth on the bench.

If the power conferences are just going to start hoarding players and players accept that role then cbb is in bigger trouble than I think.

ETA: I get foreign players can’t get NIL but I am sure there are ways to work around that issue, as one poster indicated yesterday.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 1 week ago, edited 1 time in total.
79RhodyFan
Steve Chubin

Unread post by 79RhodyFan »

Meanwhile, I am still waiting for us to join the party and announce a new signing. If La Salle and Fordham are getting players we should be too. Come on Archie the fan base new a little buzz give us something please! We are getting restless!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RIFan wrote: 1 week ago

I got it, but you kinda missed it…I was just taking about recruiting not all of Archie’s other failings so far that he has been bashed for. But most of it really comes down to either we have inferior players or coaching or potentially both. If it’s inferior players the blame is being shifted to the fans and NIL now more than it was before. Not sure this will be fun for many fans with the added pressure of paying the players if you want a good team. What fun is that, being pressured into something?
Right, that's what you call "work", which is usually seen as the opposite of fun.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 week ago Thanks for posting that, Ramster.

So, per the story, Zapala is 3rd on the depth chart at the 5 currently. Although, I am sure he will be given an opportunity to prove he is worthy of moving into 2nd on the depth chart.

That said, he could have had more opportunity to play here, I believe, or at VCU or at Wich St.

Was the NIL that large of a spread for him (possibly 3rd on the depth chart at MSU) between MSU and Rhody/VCU/Wich St) to justify mostly riding the bench?

And, does that mean MSU and other P2’s or P6’s willing to out spend high mid-majors for someone to ride the bench as potentially 3rd on the depth chart?

That’s crazy to me if any power conf teams are willing to pay players above what a high mid-major would pay just so that power conf team could have added depth on the bench.

If the power conferences are just going to start hoarding players and players accept that role then cbb is in bigger trouble than I think.

ETA: I get foreign players can’t get NIL but I am sure there are ways to work around that issue, as one poster indicated yesterday.
Agree. Article Shows Zapala 3rd Center behind Kohler and Cooper
Tom Izzo closed the deal after it was reported down to URI and Wichita State and then VCU came in late with a push

Point guard: Jeremy Fears Jr., Tre Holloman, Jase Richardson
Shooting guard: Jaden Akins, Holloman, Kur Teng
Small forward: Frankie Fidler, Gehrig Normand
Power forward: Xavier Booker, Coen Carr, Jesse McCulloch
Center: Jaxon Kohler, Carson Cooper, Szymon Zapala

So judging by this projected rotation, the starting lineup is this:

PG: Fears
SG: Akins
SF: Fidler
PF: Booker
C: Kohler

And the primary backups for each are:
PG: Holloman
SG: Teng
SF: Normand
PF: Carr
C: Cooper
RJRam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RJRam »

Maybe Zap needs a rest.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Our old friend Ousmane moving on again (Oklahoma State).
Last season he started 29 games for Xavier, averaged about 7 pts/ 6 rebs.

rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 week ago Thanks for posting that, Ramster.

How about the choices are backup the 5 at MSU (probably someone pretty good) with Tom Izzo coach, chance at NCAA tournament OR backup the 5 at URI, very little chance of NCAA tournament……maybe it’s not all NIL money
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

True, it isn’t always a money decision. It could be about going to the NCAAT but, Zapala did get to play in the tourney this past season when Longwood lost to Houston in the first round. Maybe he enjoyed it so much that he decided on the best opportunity to get him back?

I remember as a player and competitor, I wanted to play. If his decision is about playing and is not about money then, I am thinking he would have played more minutes here. Probably 20 minutes a game splitting time with Fuchs at the 5 and also playing the 5 with Fuchs at the 4 at times maybe.

I don’t believe he will get close to that kind of playing time at MSU as the 3rd center unless there is an injury or foul trouble. But, I could be wrong as Izzo may be looking to play 2 bigs ar the same time.

That said, for whatever reason, he decided to go to MSU and we still need a big to split time with Fuchs at the 5.
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

Rhody vault, UMass big man target AJ Braun choose Cal Baptist instead. Where’s the tweet?
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Ramfan22 wrote: 1 week ago Rhody vault, UMass big man target AJ Braun choose Cal Baptist instead. Where’s the tweet?
RV doesn't have an axe to grind with Frank Martin...
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 week ago True, it isn’t always a money decision. It could be about going to the NCAAT but, Zapala did get to play in the tourney this past season when Longwood lost to Houston in the first round. Maybe he enjoyed it so much that he decided on the best opportunity to get him back?

I remember as a player and competitor, I wanted to play. If his decision is about playing and is not about money then, I am thinking he would have played more minutes here. Probably 20 minutes a game splitting time with Fuchs at the 5 and also playing the 5 with Fuchs at the 4 at times maybe.

I don’t believe he will get close to that kind of playing time at MSU as the 3rd center unless there is an injury or foul trouble. But, I could be wrong as Izzo may be looking to play 2 bigs ar the same time.

That said, for whatever reason, he decided to go to MSU and we still need a big to split time with Fuchs at the 5.
Are we sure it's not a money decision? Is it possible the cartel pays the 3rd string what the A10 pays starters?
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 week ago True, it isn’t always a money decision. It could be about going to the NCAAT but, Zapala did get to play in the tourney this past season when Longwood lost to Houston in the first round. Maybe he enjoyed it so much that he decided on the best opportunity to get him back?

Are we sure it's not a money decision? Is it possible the cartel pays the 3rd string what the A10 pays starters?
I'm not sure that is the correct comparison. Fuchs is our starting center. Zapala was not going to start here although he would have been in the rotation.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Our concern is not beating out basketball bluebloods for recruits. If that is our objective we will fail. We need to win recruiting battles with the bottom half of P5 teams and other mid majors. I would have loved to see Zapala here, he looks like it could have been a decent fit. Not worrying about losing out to Mich. State.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

DeanDome88 wrote: 1 week ago

I'm not sure that is the correct comparison. Fuchs is our starting center. Zapala was not going to start here although he would have been in the rotation.
Wasn't trying to make specific position/depth comparison. Just, is the cartel paying their bench players who might hardly play, more than the A10 is paying the same guy who would be higher up on their depth chart? Seems the answer is obvious, yes? Regardless of role/position... probably almost always going to be a $$ decision
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Wasn't trying to make specific position/depth comparison. Just, is the cartel paying their bench players who might hardly play, more than the A10 is paying the same guy who would be higher up on their depth chart? Seems the answer is obvious, yes? Regardless of role/position... probably almost always going to be a $$ decision
Michigan State has been good for a long time so that could be a factor as well. Payroll vs role on the team? it is hard to tell the actual calculus these players are using as everyone has their own priorities. He might prefer their campus/facilities/local area/near certain NCAA bid/coaching staff? You would not think we got outbid by much. I would have liked to land him but the chase is on to improve the team.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Michigan State has been good for a long time so that could be a factor as well. Payroll vs role on the team? it is hard to tell the actual calculus these players are using as everyone has their own priorities. He might prefer their campus/facilities/local area/near certain NCAA bid/coaching staff? You would not think we got outbid by much. I would have liked to land him but the chase is on to improve the team.
Yes 88, hopefully some good news soon.
Rhodyram99
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rhodyram99 »

I still have faith in Archie , but with PC, Bryant, and most of our A10 opponents landing some solid talent it does get me a little concerned where this team is going . Archie seems like a very good , high IQ basketball coach, but he doesn’t seem to be able to attract players. With the mess around college basketball between the NIL and transfer portal , add in the lack of any real improvement so far with this team, my interest level is nearing an all time low. This is coming from a die hard fan like many on this board for 30 plus years. I may need Rhody rehab or some sort of impact commitment to spark my interest.