Random NIL thoughts

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: Random NIL thoughts

Unread post by bigappleram »

Ramulous wrote: 1 week ago I can envision a day when I no longer follow men’s college basketball. Then later on not following women’s college basketball. Then finally FCS football. No more season tickets. No more single game tickets. No donations to Rhody athletics. No contributions to $NIL. No reading Keaney Blue.
I am cautiously optimistic that won't happen.

After all that would be a lot of time to replace...are you going to take up crochet?

Fandom is illogical and irrational as it is. I think it's difficult to abandon altogether. Especially as it relates to your alma mater, relationships, rituals, etc.

I also think this crazy environment will eventually get regulated for the most part (like pro sports is) and our place in the pecking order will be right around what it always has been.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 week ago
Ramulous wrote: 1 week ago I can envision a day when I no longer follow men’s college basketball. Then later on not following women’s college basketball. Then finally FCS football. No more season tickets. No more single game tickets. No donations to Rhody athletics. No contributions to $NIL. No reading Keaney Blue.

After all that would be a lot of time to replace...are you going to take up crochet?

Fandom is illogical and irrational as it is. I think it's difficult to abandon altogether. Especially as it relates to your alma mater, relationships, rituals, etc.

I also think this crazy environment will eventually get regulated for the most part (like pro sports is) and our place in the pecking order will be right around what it always has been.
That's where I am. I've told myself that I'm done. But it's been such a big part of my life for so long, that it's really hard to walk away. I still haven't ruled out renewing seasons. I already renewed for football. And if I did walk away, I'd have to get rid of about half of my wardrobe. :lol:
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Like I’ve said previously it’s the Wild West right now. Eventually law and order took hold.

Of course I’ve also quoted John Sterling’s famous comment to a tearful Suzyn…

I’m just watching and monitoring the mess like the rest of you.

( I really thought the Polish Packline was coming tho)
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 week ago
Thanks for posting this, Jersey.

Interesting. If the $ amount is accurate, that is big money for a year.

But, we are still early in the NIL era so - even if the amount is $2 mil for a year - I think the NIL market will eventually adjust as it matures (if it isn’t replaced with something else before it matures).

What I mean by matures is it levels off, adjusts upwards or, adjusts down from its peak.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

bigappleram wrote: 1 week ago

I still love the games and will watch them religiously , is it like it was a few years ago definitely not but my fandoms will never leave !
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Creighton decides to drop out of the Battle for Atlantis to go for the Las Vegas NIL event

PC takes Creighton’s place in Atlantis

$$$$$$$$$ for Creighton

rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Would be amazing if the NIL tourney were winner-take-all.

Then you could have the big Vegas gamblers paying kids to throw games!

Gotta love amateur sports today. :)
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

ramster wrote: 1 week ago Creighton decides to drop out of the Battle for Atlantis to go for the Las Vegas NIL event

PC takes Creighton’s place in Atlantis

$$$$$$$$$ for Creighton

I don’t care for this tourney. Seems like they are choosing NIL winners and the rest who can’t play in it are NIL losers regarding the tourney payout.

Of course, if we were invited then I would think differently. Being a Rhody fan, I allow myself to be subjective at times. :D
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

UConn’s Samson Johnson is using some of his NIL money to do things like this-

ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

PONZI ‘

PONY UP RHDOY EXCELLENCE PONY UP !

my life is shallow and meritless without rhody hoops

oh what will i do ????

in the words of the great elon musk ..

Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Maybe this is the work around so the foreign player can get paid without jeopardizing his visa.
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

i am sitting here at night heart broken that R15 calls me names and playing this song on endless loop

if anyone cares - please DM me to lift my spirits —

ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Ramulous wrote: 6 days ago Maybe this is the work around so the foreign player can get paid without jeopardizing his visa.
UConn does the NIL thing really well. They have the private donors, but they also offer things people want with the money going to the NIL fund (whole team signed basketballs, dinner with the champs, player meet and greets, championship memorabilia with a percentage going to the fund, etc.). It’s pricey, but it’s things some people want and will splurge on.

Last year, Samson and Adama Sanogo went to the Bahamas during a break in the schedule to make some money and get around the international player restrictions. Those guys aren’t permitted to do everything the US born players can do. One thing the guys really have enjoyed is running one-day clinics at places like Boys and Girls Clubs. They get paid from money from the fund, collected through donations or sales of items/experiences, and the kids have a fun day. Those are the types of things the international players can’t do. They can do the other volunteer stuff.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

and this is why we will rarely be able to compete

the haves and the have nots

not a knock on uconn or the great money teams but this is not good for rhody

this is why ill save my money and aggravation

goodbye rhody hoops goodbye

ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

YES !!!!

LGR
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

LGR15 !

giddy !

i owe you a drink !!!
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

bang !!!’mdrinskmonthe fucking hosue !

LGR !!!!
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

over !!!

sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Dude you need to stop. This is getting rediculous. Your just spamming the board at this point. Spewing nothing relevant and talking to yourself.

Mods need to limit this guy to one post a day. 4 posts in a row of complete nonsense. And nothing to do with NIL
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

block me -
do it !
just like
R15

relax … and have some fun !
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

ace wrote: 6 days ago
Ramulous wrote: 6 days ago Maybe this is the work around so the foreign player can get paid without jeopardizing his visa.
UConn does the NIL thing really well. They have the private donors, but they also offer things people want with the money going to the NIL fund (whole team signed basketballs, dinner with the champs, player meet and greets, championship memorabilia with a percentage going to the fund, etc.). It’s pricey, but it’s things some people want and will splurge on.

Last year, Samson and Adama Sanogo went to the Bahamas during a break in the schedule to make some money and get around the international player restrictions. Those guys aren’t permitted to do everything the US born players can do. One thing the guys really have enjoyed is running one-day clinics at places like Boys and Girls Clubs. They get paid from money from the fund, collected through donations or sales of items/experiences, and the kids have a fun day. Those are the types of things the international players can’t do. They can do the other volunteer stuff.
And we/ll have a golf tournament………..thinking big……..
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

In all fairness, if URI won the national championship, people would be clamoring for that kind of memorabilia too. Right now I think most would prefer not to be reminded of the last 5 years teams.
Last edited by RIFan 6 days ago, edited 1 time in total.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

RIFan wrote: 6 days ago In all fairness, if URI won the national championship, people would be clamoring for that kind of memorabilia too. Right now I think most would prefer to not to be reminded of the last 5 years teams.
I think that’s very fair. There’s never a bad time, but they picked a very good time to be dominant.

The big money donors will always do their thing until they think it is no longer worth it. It’s a harder sell to have most people donate without getting something apparent or tangible back. People like stuff and they’re fans for a reason. Success a year or so from now is a tougher donation sell when the program’s struggled.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

section(105) wrote: 6 days ago

I wonder if Archie will be at the tournament.
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

Billyboy78 wrote: 6 days ago
section(105) wrote: 6 days ago

I wonder if Archie will be at the tournament.
i would think that's mandatory attendance come hell or high water.

to me, huge red flag if he's not.
:lol:
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Yes, exactly. If not a golfer, ride around and snooze. I recall back in the early days, someone in athletics was doing a golf tournament and was told, Dan doesn’t golf.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

“Snooze?”
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ramster wrote: 6 days ago“Snooze?”
I think he meant "schmooze" or maybe "booze"....either would be fine probably
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 6 days ago
ramster wrote: 6 days ago“Snooze?”
I think he meant "schmooze" or maybe "booze"....either would be fine probably
First drink and continue to drink the booze………….which enables a better ability to schmooze and then you go home and take a snooze 💤 and next day get an update on the impact on the NIL Collective. Sounds like sales to me.
Last edited by ramster 5 days ago, edited 1 time in total.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

The ticket for the Rhody Excellence golf outing is quite pricey. North of $1000 per participant.
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Actually $1250 per. Just checked. Put ECR down for a foursome and a tee sponsorship.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Yes, schmooze, spelling neva been a strong suit, nor math.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Ramulous wrote: 5 days ago Actually $1250 per. Just checked. Put ECR down for a foursome and a tee sponsorship.
I hope the tournament fills up.

That kind of coin is big boy money where I’m from.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Way too much for me, and I suppose many others here. Better be some good swag in that gift bag. Maybe Archie will shed some light on the roster during dinner.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 5 days ago Way too much for me, and I suppose many others here. Better be some good swag in that gift bag. Maybe Archie will shed some light on the roster during dinner.
Who knows what the swag will be like. I'm guessing though, if we all "contributed $25 a month", it would be better swag?
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 days ago
section(105) wrote: 5 days ago Way too much for me, and I suppose many others here. Better be some good swag in that gift bag. Maybe Archie will shed some light on the roster during dinner.
Who knows what the swag will be like. I'm guessing though, if we all "contributed $25 a month", it would be better swag?
Ha, ha. That is true. The funny thing is that people would do that.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RamStock wrote: 5 days ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 days ago
Ha, ha. That is true. The funny thing is that people would do that.
Yes, everyone donate and specify that you want your caish used for the swag fund :lol:
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Ramulous wrote: 5 days ago Actually $1250 per. Just checked.
Wow. That eliminates 95+% of everyday fans I would think. It'll be the same old high rollers.
Mobley was fouled.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Another random thought on NIL. Fans who invest monthly at $ levels of 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 up to 500 are not going to provide the salary cap number we need to be competitive. We need a few individual whales throwing in big bucks on a yearly basis plus corporate investors also throwing in yearly big bucks to make us as competitive as we all want us to be. A golf outing on a $250 level all the way up to $1250 will generate some revenue to the pool but not a major impact. It will probably gross the same total at either price point due to the number of people able to meet each entry cost.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Ramulous wrote: 4 days ago Another random thought on NIL. Fans who invest monthly at $ levels of 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 up to 500 are not going to provide the salary cap number we need to be competitive. We need a few individual whales throwing in big bucks on a yearly basis plus corporate investors also throwing in yearly big bucks to make us as competitive as we all want us to be. A golf outing on a $250 level all the way up to $1250 will generate some revenue to the pool but not a major impact. It will probably gross the same total at either price point due to the number of people able to meet each entry cost.
Why do fans have to pay for a competitive team outside of tickets? Who is the genius that thought up this business model?
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The big donors drive the bus.

They will account for 95% of the money going into the NIL fund.

Most of us are just small minnows in the pond.

It's clear there is a huge push to increase the money available to pay for better talent

Without it we are fucked. And that's putting it nicely.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Ramulous wrote: 4 days ago Another random thought on NIL. Fans who invest monthly at $ levels of 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 up to 500 are not going to provide the salary cap number we need to be competitive. We need a few individual whales throwing in big bucks on a yearly basis plus corporate investors also throwing in yearly big bucks to make us as competitive as we all want us to be. A golf outing on a $250 level all the way up to $1250 will generate some revenue to the pool but not a major impact. It will probably gross the same total at either price point due to the number of people able to meet each entry cost.
You say that, but there’s a thousand people on this message board. $30 a month is $360k a year.

That golf outing is cheaper than last year, based on our feedback to try and get more people donating and understanding NIL.

Last years golf outing probably raised close to $100k.

For all the bitching and moaning here, PC has a base that pays double that and more for these golf outings. Then again, their fans get it. That’s probably why the gulf between us and them as “rivals” is wider than it’s ever been.

I get that not everyone is in a position to drop $1250 on a golf round. That’s totally fine. But everyone is in a position to drop $10-30 a month, and the incessant whining about it is pathetic.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

theblueram wrote: 4 days ago
Why do fans have to pay for a competitive team outside of tickets? Who is the genius that thought up this business model?
Who cares? It is what it is. Right wrong or indifferent.

You want to be better? Give money. If you don’t want to give money? That’s fine. But your criticisms become less valid about the performance of the team if you can’t even be willing to give $10.

The funniest thing is that collegiate sports has ALWAYS been this way. This fanbase collectively ignored that. You always needed to donate to be competitive.

Coaches salaries, facilities, all the support around the program, everything about a recruiting visit even pre-NIL: how the kids get here, where they stay, where they take them to eat, all of the bells and whistles you can roll out to show a recruit a good time.

Where do you think that comes from?

It always and has always come from the boosters. $10 or $1000000 doesn’t matter. But our fans have always looked at donating to the program like the complaining about NIL.

“I buy tickets so that’s enough” “Jim Harrick got Lamar Odom from a trailer” etc.

If people don’t want to donate, that’s cool. You just have nothing to bitch about. The system is the system. Maybe it will change. Maybe it should. But if you want to compete, pay up.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

so where do i turn in my keaney blue apparel? is there a collection bin outside the RC?

need to make sure it gets to the 'real' fans. not us fakes.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 3 days ago so where do i turn in my keaney blue apparel? is there a collection bin outside the RC?

No one said turn in your apparel. The basic theme is shut the fuck up complaining if you’re not willing to do something to change it.

I keep looking for “fans” on this fan-focused message board, but I just see bitching and whining.

Give to Rhody's NIL
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Blue Man wrote: 3 days ago
KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 3 days ago so where do i turn in my keaney blue apparel? is there a collection bin outside the RC?

No one said turn in your apparel. The basic theme is shut the fuck up complaining if you’re not willing to do something to change it.

I keep looking for “fans” on this fan-focused message board, but I just see bitching and whining.
got it. blue man say 'STFU'.

my ticket money, merch money, concessions money, 50/50 ticket money still aren't good enough. don't forget my taxes that support a myriad of things on campus.

maybe you can organize a yard sale in the RC parking lot. us regular joes who can't be fans anymore can donate all our rhody gear and you can sell it and use the money generated for NIL.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I love the idea that everyone should contribute with the main reason constantly given as - because "it's the world we live in".
And if they don't, they lose their right to complain.

Buy your tickets (even though you should have donated that money to the NIL instead of being so frivolous and selfish), go ahead and cheer when they're winning, but KEEP YOUR PIE-HOLE SHUT if they aren't.

It's "yes, it sucks, but it's the world we live in so comply or stfu, because if you don't donate, but you possibly could, you definitely suck."
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

isn''t it great that the ncaa stays rich and they have done tis to the KB message board ?!?!

Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 3 days ago
Blue Man wrote: 3 days ago

got it. blue man say 'STFU'.

my ticket money, merch money, concessions money, 50/50 ticket money still aren't good enough. don't forget my taxes that support a myriad of things on campus.

maybe you can organize a yard sale in the RC parking lot. us regular joes who can't be fans anymore can donate all our rhody gear and you can sell it and use the money generated for NIL.
Your ticket money and concession money goes to offset the cost of operating the ryan center and to the Oak View Group who manages it. 50/50 money quite literally goes to the winner and the organization that sold you the tickets (50% to women's rowing, 50% to winning ticket, that's what 50/50 means). Your merch money probably somehow goes back to athletics...maybe...but I'm sure there's a royalty fee athletics has to pay back to the University for the branding.

Your taxes support a myriad of 14% of nothing on campus, because that's about what the state gives to URI every year. The school is underfunded by the state. Athletics is actually 100% funded by the students as seen by the "athletics fee" on their bill every semester. So maybe your taxes go to a portion of the base salaries for the staff who are technically state employees so...congrats. If that's the case then all the PC fans in the state of RI are contributing the same to the program as you.

If you're following this train of thought, I'm hoping that you're realizing that maybe you hadn't actually been financially contributing like you thought you had, so I hope you learned something. If you knew all of that already and you're just whining, you can take the STFU to heart.

I am not comparing fanhood to donation amount. If that were the case, then Tom Ryan, Mike, Dave, Stefan, etc would be the only people allowed to be fans. What I am saying is that if you are complaining about the state of this program, and simultaneously decrying the idea of giving $10 to directly help the program, you can shut the fuck up.

Worse, if you are complaining about Rhody's NIL efforts in any capacity while not donating to it, you can especially shut the fuck up.

So if you're taking it personally (you shouldn't) that's a you issue.

You don't need to donate to be considered a "fan" but if all you're going to do is bitch and moan and whine about everything around this program you should donate to have your criticism validated.

Then again, I am talking to the same people who bitch about the lack of coverage from the ProJo, who refuse to be customers of the ProJo, and can't see the logical fallacy and hypocrisy in their outlook on life. Like somehow the ProJo should just cover URI for free even though it's clear URI fans don't want to support their business.

At this point, I am merely looking for "fans" on this message board. I don't see many.

The people on here have delved so far down the hole of their own obtuse cognitive dissonance, somehow they're conflating the collegiate NIL system with URI basketball. Yes, NIL sucks. It's lame. We get that. But it is what it is.

It's not URI's fault that they system is that way, it just is that way. The nice thing is that you could actually actively help URI compete in this new system. It's totally cool if you don't want to donate. Just shut the fuck up with your complaining if you're not going to. Or keep complaining I guess, just don't get butthurt when someone tells you to shut the fuck up and that your opinion is invalid.

Want to be a fan? Try this: "I'm excited about Lawrence, Bassy's return, and the core of House/Green/Fuchs/Estevez getting another year to develop and grow together." That's something a fan would say.

Do you want to be critical? Cool, there's plenty to be critical about. We've sucked for 4 years. Fans criticize their teams all the time. That's literally what this message board is for.

But in this sport, and this world right now, you could actively do something about it with $10 a month. TEN DOLLARS.

If you can't be willing to do that, then yes, your criticisms are completely invalidated as now you're just complaining to complain since you won't actively do anything about it. If the latter is the case, then yes, you can shut the fuck up.

TL;DR - Your fanhood is not dictated by your ability to donate or the amount you donate to the program. But if you refuse to do so, and you have nothing positive to say about the program, your criticisms of the program are invalid. In that case you are not a fan, you are just a whiny, miserable, dick who likes to complain.

Give to Rhody's NIL