Men's Basketball Transfer Carousel and Portal - 2024-25

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Re: Men's Basketball Transfer Carousel and Portal - 2024-25

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 week ago Unfortunate if Zapala doesn't wind up a Ram. If the team instagram account followed him they must've thought it was a done deal and it fell through.
It was never close to a done deal. Even though he's not good enough for some people on here, he has been pursued by some strong programs. IDk if he ends up at one of them, but multiple high-major teams offered him more $$ that we simply couldn't match. IDK the details on the numbers I just know there are a few high major teams that are in the mix that wasn't on his initial list. Which makes sense because he's a 7 foot efficient player. I still find is nuts that we have people on here bashing us wanting this kid. I really don't understand who people think we are sometimes..
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

UCH21377 wrote: 1 week ago I have to admit I’m skeptical about the returning core from a 20 loss team. These were mostly older kids. Plus losing our 4 star freshman hurts I don’t want to hear all the rationalization about it. Counting on Bassy to turn things around from the point? I love the kids effort and attitude but just not sure he’s ready for this role at an A10 level. Hoping I’m wrong and the team is good but I think we’re heading for an 16 to 18 win team and middle of the pack A10 best case with an old team
Yes. You are correct. That is people’s goal for this team now. Be mentioned as an outside shot at making the NIT. Archie will get credit for a tremendous season and how he tuned things around.
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 week ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 1 week ago Unfortunate if Zapala doesn't wind up a Ram. If the team instagram account followed him they must've thought it was a done deal and it fell through.
It was never close to a done deal. Even though he's not good enough for some people on here, he has been pursued by some strong programs. IDk if he ends up at one of them, but multiple high-major teams offered him more $$ that we simply couldn't match. IDK the details on the numbers I just know there are a few high major teams that are in the mix that wasn't on his initial list. Which makes sense because he's a 7 foot efficient player. I still find is nuts that we have people on here bashing us wanting this kid. I really don't understand who people think we are sometimes..
Those people are completely delusional and extremely clueless when it comes to evaluating players.

It is very obvious Zapala is a good piece to add to the puzzle that can fill needed roles for a team.

And thank God those people do not make decisions for our program.

Not to mention he was coached by two tremendous coaches in his career
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 week ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 week ago
SGreenwell wrote: 1 week ago

Ha, I think we'll manage to snag at least a couple more players for 2024-25... But yeah. I'd think that our starting five is some combination from the six of House, Fuchs, Green, Lawrence, Thomas and Estevez, with Traore as the "first big off bench," and Wright and Farrell probably absorbing the PT scraps, unless Farrell surprises in practice. We don't really have obvious "starter minutes" to offer to a transfer, and that's still the number one motivation for transfers. I think that 1 to 7 or 8 on the depth chart is better than Miller's first two years, but I haven't really looked at the projected production of that lineup vs. last year's, so I don't know if that lineup means we're more at .500, or flirting with 20 wins, or "shit we suck again."
Saying "we don't have starter minutes" to me means, "we don't want anyone better than we already have."
Depressing....I hope that's not the case... Sure, we may not "get" anyone better, but I'm thinking for the right player... there's starter minutes available. Saying otherwise just sounds defeatist .....
I keep going back to Archie saying the practice facility is, in his own words, a "game changer" He also said, in his own words, that Rhody Excellence is a "game changer". Where are the "game changing" players? I don't know, to me "game changers" are players better than the ones we have now.
We literally just started Rhody Excellence! Stone just came on board! Can you guys give it more than a few seconds before complaining? Maybe give it a season or two? I'll tell you this much. We definitely don't land an impactful Big10 player like Lawerence last year. We also lost our best player in Ish but returned our best players and best freshmen this year. So maybe it did help??

I don't know if you helped donate to it, Billy, but if more people donated instead of complaining, maybe we could have landed better players. From what I've been told, we expected more involvement from our fanbase. I don't know why they expected that, because I expected a lot of the fanbase to do what it normally does: complain and not donate a thing. Unfortunately, so far, I was right about that. Our fanbase sucks.

Now, I'm not making excuses for Archie. I don't think Rhody Excellence is the main reason we haven't done well. Archie is getting paid a lot of money to fix this. At the end of the day, it's up to Archie to close the deal on players, and if he doesn't do a good enough job this offseason or the upcoming season, it's on him. I will hope for the best and that we take the turn we desperately need. If we are at the bottom of the A10 again, I'm done believing in him, and I'll be like others on here, bashing every little thing Archie does
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Hearing that Izzo and MSU is showing some interest.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Jersey77 wrote: 1 week ago
Hearing that Izzo and MSU is showing some interest.
'
Why would a legend like Izzo want such a horrible player? Odd..
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

Sounds like Zapala is down to Wichita State and Rhode Island
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Saying "we don't have starter minutes" to me means, "we don't want anyone better than we already have."
Depressing....I hope that's not the case... Sure, we may not "get" anyone better, but I'm thinking for the right player... there's starter minutes available. Saying otherwise just sounds defeatist .....
I keep going back to Archie saying the practice facility is, in his own words, a "game changer" He also said, in his own words, that Rhody Excellence is a "game changer". Where are the "game changing" players? I don't know, to me "game changers" are players better than the ones we have now.
We literally just started Rhody Excellence! Stone just came on board! Can you guys give it more than a few seconds before complaining? Maybe give it a season or two? I'll tell you this much. We definitely don't land an impactful Big10 player like Lawerence last year. We also lost our best player in Ish but returned our best players and best freshmen this year. So maybe it did help??

I don't know if you helped donate to it, Billy, but if more people donated instead of complaining, maybe we could have landed better players. From what I've been told, we expected more involvement from our fanbase. I don't know why they expected that, because I expected a lot of the fanbase to do what it normally does: complain and not donate a thing. Unfortunately, so far, I was right about that. Our fanbase sucks.

Now, I'm not making excuses for Archie. I don't think Rhody Excellence is the main reason we haven't done well. Archie is getting paid a lot of money to fix this. At the end of the day, it's up to Archie to close the deal on players, and if he doesn't do a good enough job this offseason or the upcoming season, it's on him. I will hope for the best and that we take the turn we desperately need. If we are at the bottom of the A10 again, I'm done believing in him, and I'll be like others on here, bashing every little thing Archie does
So,once again, fans who don't donate suck. I spend 700 dollars a year on tickets alone. That's what I do. Someday when you're retired and your income is about half of what it was when you were in the work force, maybe you'll understand. I think the fans that suck are the ones who criticize other fans about what to do with their money without knowing anything about that other fan's financial situation. Wait 'til you see what medical bills look like when you get old.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Bassy and house are volume scorers, that is playing with fire having both starting guards needing that many shots to get theirs. Especially your point guard.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Ramfan22 wrote: 1 week ago Sounds like Zapala is down to Wichita State and Rhode Island
Great. Dino just told me that as well. Let's get him!!!
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

So,once again, fans who don't donate suck. I spend 700 dollars a year on tickets alone. That's what I do. Someday when you're retired and your income is about half of what it was when you were in the work force, maybe you'll understand. I think the fans that suck are the ones who criticize other fans about what to do with their money without knowing anything about that other fan's financial situation. Wait 'til you see what medical bills look like when you get old.
I agree I'm in no position or have any right to tell you or anyone how to spend your $$. But I do think it sucks to have people bitch and moan about Rhody Excellence and bash Archie's gets but do absolutely nothing to support it. What I'm saying is if people are that upset about Rhody Excellence, instead of tweeting and messaging about it a million times, how about they throw them $10 a month?

If you're cool with that, that's your opinion. I'm not. I mainly think our fanbase sucks because of the constant negativity, no matter what we do. It's incredibly draining being a Rhody fan right now, with how miserable people are here and on social media.

I had to get my first credit card at 18 and put all of it to medical bills to help my dad as he was sick my entire life before he ended up passing away. My credit is still affected by it. This isn't a contest, man. Everyone of all ages deals with ups and downs and bills. What I'm saying is let's try to have a positive outlook for once and stop complaining about every single move we make. Let's give Rhody Excellence a chance instead of bashing it the second we start it. We all want instant success and immediate results but can we all just be a little bit more realistic?
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Blame Cox, he is one of the main reasons support and interest in the program is at or near an all time low following one of the most successful and higher interest times in the modern era. If he didn’t stink so bad we would have way more financial and fan support and still be considered a program worthy of consideration by top players. He was the biggest momentum killer and the timing couldn’t have been worse with the changes to the recruiting landscape.
Last edited by RIFan 1 week ago, edited 1 time in total.
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

CamsRams wrote: 1 week ago
Hopefully some excitement next week, other players possibly in he mix for us also.
Ramfan22
ARD

Hopefully some excitement next week, other players possibly in he mix for us also.
There’s other players just as good if not better than Zapala we’re in the mix for. If we miss on him it wouldn’t be that big of a deal although I’d like to have him.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Ramfan22 wrote: 1 week ago
There’s other players just as good if not better than Zapala we’re in the mix for. If we miss on him it wouldn’t be that big of a deal although I’d like to have him.
I know, had previously hinted about that, maybe even a better option.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Would be great to know which other players we’re in on.
GO RAMS
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

He'd be my top choice compared to the others. I just think a super efficient big that only needs 15+ minutes to make a good impact would be great for us. If he takes another jump, he honestly may be better than Fuchs right now.

If it's between us and Wichia St, that's a great sign. I'm assuming the bigger programs backed off or reached out to him as a backup option, which makes sense. I think the A10 is perfect for him.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Ramfan22
ARD

Was just adding onto what you said
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Was just adding onto what you said
Yep, all good, either way we should end up in good shape.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RIFan wrote: 1 week ago Bassy and house are volume scorers, that is playing with fire having both starting guards needing that many shots to get theirs. Especially your point guard.
I actually kinda like it...the more shooters the better
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

IF Zapala gets off in Kingston

C Zapala
PF Fuchs
SF Green
SG House
PG Lawrence

Bench - Bassy/Traore/Cam
GO RAMS
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

RIFan wrote: 1 week ago Bassy and house are volume scorers, that is playing with fire having both starting guards needing that many shots to get theirs. Especially your point guard.
I heard that Archie and the staff preached to Bassy that they wanted him to be a more efficient true point guard this year. He took a million shots last year because his teammates were awful. Which is a blessing for us because he has learned to score a lot more at this level. I think many people will be surprised at how much better he is on the offensive end. He'll never be a good 3-point shooter, but if he takes fewer 3s and better 3s, I think he can shoot over 30% this year.

I've also seen a few people on here bash his FG%, but inside the 3-point line, he's very good. In fact, his 2-point FG% is great, especially for someone who took so many shots. 51%... For example, House was fantastic at driving and finishing and shot 52%.To compare some other players, Ish, Fatts, and Jeff all had 2pt FG% under 45%. House and Bassy will be great fast-break players who can attack and finish. Luis was great inside the 3-point line as well, but he was better at slowing it down and posting up. I think Bassy and House will play much faster together.

I posted this in another thread about a month ago, but here are some examples of former players' overall field goal percentages. As a reminder, Bassy was at 43% and took a bunch of shots.

Ish's junior year: 43%
Jeremy Sheppard senior year: 38%
Fatts Russell's final year at Rhody: 33%
Jeff Dowtin's senior year: 42%
Tyrese Martin sophomore year: 43%
EC Matthews' senior year: 42%
Jared Terrell's senior year: 42%
Jarvis Garrett's senior year: 40%
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 week ago IF Zapala gets off in Kingston

C Zapala
PF Fuchs
SF Green
SG House
PG Lawrence

Bench - Bassy/Traore/Cam
If Fuchs can play the 4 this year, I like it, but he was so much better at the 5. I think you should swap out Zapala and add Bassy.

PG Bassy
SG House
Wing Lawernce
Forward Green
Center Fuchs

6th- Zapala
7th Cam
8th- Traore

Should never see the floor unless we are injured- Ways
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

C Zapala
PF Fuchs
SF Green
SG House
PG Lawrence

Bench - Bassy/Traore/Cam
If Fuchs can play the 4 this year, I like it, but he was so much better at the 5. I think you should swap out Zapala and add Bassy.

PG Bassy
SG House
Wing Lawernce
Forward Green
Center Fuchs

6th- Zapala
7th Cam
8th- Traore

Should never see the floor unless we are injured- Ways
Gives us a big lineup vs small lineup option.
GO RAMS
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

This will be a test for Austin Carroll to see if he can win these battles or not
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

I heard that Archie and the staff preached to Bassy that they wanted him to be a more efficient true point guard this year. He took a million shots last year because his teammates were awful. Which is a blessing for us because he has learned to score a lot more at this level. I think many people will be surprised at how much better he is on the offensive end. He'll never be a good 3-point shooter, but if he takes fewer 3s and better 3s, I think he can shoot over 30% this year.

I've also seen a few people on here bash his FG%, but inside the 3-point line, he's very good. In fact, his 2-point FG% is great, especially for someone who took so many shots. 51%... For example, House was fantastic at driving and finishing and shot 52%.To compare some other players, Ish, Fatts, and Jeff all had 2pt FG% under 45%. House and Bassy will be great fast-break players who can attack and finish. Luis was great inside the 3-point line as well, but he was better at slowing it down and posting up. I think Bassy and House will play much faster together.

I posted this in another thread about a month ago, but here are some examples of former players' overall field goal percentages. As a reminder, Bassy was at 43% and took a bunch of shots.

Ish's junior year: 43%
Jeremy Sheppard senior year: 38%
Fatts Russell's final year at Rhody: 33%
Jeff Dowtin's senior year: 42%
Tyrese Martin sophomore year: 43%
EC Matthews' senior year: 42%
Jared Terrell's senior year: 42%
Jarvis Garrett's senior year: 40%
Excellent breakdown, Stevey. Much appreciated!
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

C Zapala
PF Fuchs
SF Green
SG House
PG Lawrence

Bench - Bassy/Traore/Cam
I like that lineup although, I don’t know if the plan is to start 2 bigs but we shall see.

Also, I think Bassy will start at PG. but for Zapala. But, I could be wrong. Still a long way to go until the season starts and how competition for PT shakes out.
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

Lawrence will never play the point. Two or Three. He wouldn’t come here if that was what was needed from him and one of the reasons he improved was because he moved off the ball the last 14 games.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

RamStock wrote: 1 week ago
UCH21377 wrote: 1 week ago I have to admit I’m skeptical about the returning core from a 20 loss team. These were mostly older kids. Plus losing our 4 star freshman hurts I don’t want to hear all the rationalization about it. Counting on Bassy to turn things around from the point? I love the kids effort and attitude but just not sure he’s ready for this role at an A10 level. Hoping I’m wrong and the team is good but I think we’re heading for an 16 to 18 win team and middle of the pack A10 best case with an old team
Yes. You are correct. That is people’s goal for this team now. Be mentioned as an outside shot at making the NIT. Archie will get credit for a tremendous season and how he tuned things around.
This is about where I am now , way too early prediction for me is 18-13
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Do tweets like this help? They're a little weird if you ask me, since the recruit has no idea about this multi-personality fan of ours. And there have been a few like this.

STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 week ago Do tweets like this help? They're a little weird if you ask me, since the recruit has no idea about this multi-personality fan of ours. And there have been a few like this.

I feel more confident in Block Island Ralph closing the deal than Austin.
Ramfan22
ARD

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 week ago Do tweets like this help? They're a little weird if you ask me, since the recruit has no idea about this multi-personality fan of ours. And there have been a few like this.

JaMarques Lawrence responded to one of the burner accounts tweets with “👀👀👀” a few weeks ago. No idea if they help or not, not sure what my reaction would be if I’m getting tagged by someone named Block Island Ralph, or Jimmy Beeron 😂
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Sorry but have to say my piece. If URI is not top five next year in the A10. Miller should be fired. I have sat through two years of the worst basketball I have ever seen. I have no allegiance to a coach or player. I have allegiance to my school. And so far this coach and the players have disrespected this school.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

theblueram wrote: 1 week ago Sorry but have to say my piece. If URI is not top five next year in the A10. Miller should be fired. I have sat through two years of the worst basketball I have ever seen. I have no allegiance to a coach or player. I have allegiance to my school. And so far this coach and the players have disrespected this school.
ROI has been very disappointing.

It’s time to win.
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

hrstrat57 wrote: 1 week ago
theblueram wrote: 1 week ago Sorry but have to say my piece. If URI is not top five next year in the A10. Miller should be fired. I have sat through two years of the worst basketball I have ever seen. I have no allegiance to a coach or player. I have allegiance to my school. And so far this coach and the players have disrespected this school.

It’s time to win.
It is so strange, but maybe we have to shift our focus and standards. Even though the unis say Rhode Island etc they are no longer representing the school in old sense of student athlete. It is now minor league pro basketball that happens to play in the RC. And as such, the coach will probably evaluated simply on wins and losses. No more emphasis on educating and graduating students. It is minor league pro basketball that happens to play in the RC as pure entertainment. Once we see through the prism It will feel very different. No?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

section(105) wrote: 1 week ago

It’s time to win.
It is so strange, but maybe we have to shift our focus and standards. Even though the unis say Rhode Island etc they are no longer representing the school in old sense of student athlete. It is now minor league pro basketball that happens to play in the RC. And as such, the coach will probably evaluated simply on wins and losses. No more emphasis on educating and graduating students. It is minor league pro basketball that happens to play in the RC as pure entertainment. Once we see through the prism It will feel very different. No?
Lmao. Bassy will be a 3 year guy at URI. 4 other players are at least 2 year guys.

That’s not good enough? In a rebuild?

The guys either suck and should be recruited over or they’re mercenaries.

Every day brings a new reason to live laugh love this board.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

RamStock wrote: 1 week ago
That's not true at all. The goal of this team and program is to land a bid. Landing a bid is a tremendous season. Getting out of the bottom of the A10 and having over a .500 record is a good first step.I think that's what a lot of us want to see this year.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

For those who bemoan and say that college basketball is now pro basketball , I say where have you been for the past 50 years ? Up until now it has been
like the Olympic basketball and hockey was in years past where the Russians and most others were paid professionals and the U.S. used amateurs .
The Kentuckys , the UCLAs , the Kansans , the Michigans etc. were in essence paid professionals for decades and the likes of URI and the so called Mid Majors tried to compete with them with amateurs . If you have ever seen the movie Blue Chips , you probably realize that the movie represents
a picture of college basketball at the time that was pretty close to what was actually going on rather than exaggeration of the recruiting process of
big time college basketball. Now it is completely out in the open and everybody is free to compete in the new world . Not much is preventing any
school from collecting huge sums of money any way they can to buy themselves a championship level team if they want to go that route . They can
arrange for any amount of money depending on how important it is to the school . Eventually that scenario may threaten the Kentuckys to the point
that the arms race forces them to try to rein in the new wild west through their allies at the NCAA . Maybe some of the lesser leagues can form a
NATO type alliance whereby they alternately band together and pool their money to enrich some of their schools each season to enable some of
the member schools to compete at the highest level . It could be like the competitive balance money the lesser MLB teams share except it would be
shared by the top few teams , but different teams each season so that the whole league becomes strong over time . The A10 and others are left
with practically no choice but to do this if this NIL stuff continues . Right now the A10 and most other leagues are becoming the "Farm Teams" for
the P5 schools . that cannot continue for long without 2/3 of the schools dropping the sports altogether or going to club Sports only .
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

I am not bemoaning the notion college basketball is now pro basketball. Now that it is all out in the open regarding pay for “committing”, pay for playing. It is for me different. A shift in my thinking from amateur to pro.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

jcru wrote: 1 week ago I mean, no he didn't play with the 5 other returnees.

He did however play for the one big returnee named Archie Miller. That is significant, no?
Your post makes no sense.

How can you include Thomas in a post talking about “improving as a group” when he’s never played with the group?
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote: 1 week ago
section(105) wrote: 1 week ago

It’s time to win.
Lmao. Bassy will be a 3 year guy at URI. 4 other players are at least 2 year guys.

That’s not good enough? In a rebuild?

The guys either suck and should be recruited over or they’re mercenaries.

Every day brings a new reason to live laugh love this board.
I don't think the players that were here last year and still here this year suck. Don't know enough about the new ones to tell, but it doesn't seem like they'll suck either. But, they're definitely all mercenaries (not that there's anything wrong with that, it's America after all). Therefore,they should be trying to recruit over every single one of them, if possible. Recruited over, imo, has changed definition. It used to be if you recruited over someone, that could mean, in a year or so, or "inevitably" the new player will take over for the incumbent. Now, it means, take over that position immediately, like 'this year'- 'now' - 'today.' Seems these days, they should be trying to recruit over every-body, whether they suck or not?
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 week ago
jcru wrote: 1 week ago I mean, no he didn't play with the 5 other returnees.

He did however play for the one big returnee named Archie Miller. That is significant, no?
Your post makes no sense.

How can you include Thomas in a post talking about “improving as a group” when he’s never played with the group?
Fine.

15, you dissecting every single comment on this site to the nth degree is annoying, but you make a solid point that I cannot argue. I was thinking in terms of people who had played here before. In other words, these 5 guys, and this one guy who doesn't quite fit into what I said, but I am making an exception for.

That's fine. You don't have to be an ass about it though. There is no reason why you cannot explain to someone how intellectually superior you are to everyone here, and be civil about it at the same time.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

luke wrote: 1 week ago For those who bemoan and say that college basketball is now pro basketball , I say where have you been for the past 50 years ? Up until now it has been
like the Olympic basketball and hockey was in years past where the Russians and most others were paid professionals and the U.S. used amateurs .
The Kentuckys , the UCLAs , the Kansans , the Michigans etc. were in essence paid professionals for decades and the likes of URI and the so called Mid Majors tried to compete with them with amateurs . If you have ever seen the movie Blue Chips , you probably realize that the movie represents
a picture of college basketball at the time that was pretty close to what was actually going on rather than exaggeration of the recruiting process of
big time college basketball. Now it is completely out in the open and everybody is free to compete in the new world . Not much is preventing any
school from collecting huge sums of money any way they can to buy themselves a championship level team if they want to go that route . They can
arrange for any amount of money depending on how important it is to the school . Eventually that scenario may threaten the Kentuckys to the point
that the arms race forces them to try to rein in the new wild west through their allies at the NCAA . Maybe some of the lesser leagues can form a
NATO type alliance whereby they alternately band together and pool their money to enrich some of their schools each season to enable some of
the member schools to compete at the highest level . It could be like the competitive balance money the lesser MLB teams share except it would be
shared by the top few teams , but different teams each season so that the whole league becomes strong over time . The A10 and others are left
with practically no choice but to do this if this NIL stuff continues . Right now the A10 and most other leagues are becoming the "Farm Teams" for
the P5 schools . that cannot continue for long without 2/3 of the schools dropping the sports altogether or going to club Sports only .
This is all very accurate…some players at the highest level got paid. But it was contained, as nobody has been able to tell me that our best players on our best teams were paid…and now we can only dream of getting players like that and good luck keeping them for 4 years! Now most players on most teams view each season as a tryout for a better offer for next season, which makes this model far less appealing than pro sports. Many viewed college as superior but it has now flipped. With players trying to maximize their own value does that encourage them to buy into a team concept if their goal is to pad their stats for a bigger payday next season?
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RIFan wrote: 1 week ago
luke wrote: 1 week ago For those who bemoan and say that college basketball is now pro basketball , I say where have you been for the past 50 years ? Up until now it has been
This is all very accurate…some players at the highest level got paid. But it was contained, as nobody has been able to tell me that our best players on our best teams were paid…and now we can only dream of getting players like that and good luck keeping them for 4 years! Now most players on most teams view each season as a tryout for a better offer for next season, which makes this model far less appealing than pro sports. Many viewed college as superior but it has now flipped. With players trying to maximize their own value does that encourage them to buy into a team concept if their goal is to pad their stats for a bigger payday next season?
I'm gonna go with, "No, no it does not"...but, I don't think the players are at all to blame.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

We all have choices, so it is at least partially on the players to balance what’s best for them and the team that is currently paying them.
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

theblueram wrote: 1 week ago Sorry but have to say my piece. If URI is not top five next year in the A10. Miller should be fired. I have sat through two five years of the worst basketball I have ever seen. I have no allegiance to a coach or player. I have allegiance to my school. And so far this coach and the players have disrespected this school.
Mobley was fouled.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

For me, I am not expecting a top 5 finish this season, although not impossible, and Archie won't get fired if that doesn't happen.

I do however expect to see much improvement and most certainly in our effort.

I am thinking about a .500 conference record or a little better, hopefully they surprise me and make a significant jump.

Of course this isn't our GOAL but would be a step forward in getting there.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

I find it funny but ya maybe others find it weird

But let me pose this question: Which scenario do you believe is more detrimental? A handful of tweets where individuals clearly joke and commend the potential recruit, or the recruit glances at Keaneyblue.com and encounters the prevailing sentiment that most individuals here hold negative views towards Archie, lack enthusiasm about any recruits, and constantly criticize the NIL fund, which was established to assist in recruiting efforts?

If you guys are worried about these tweets you better hope recruits don’t come here….
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING