Men's Basketball Transfer Carousel and Portal - 2024-25

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Re: Men's Basketball Transfer Carousel and Portal - 2024-25

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Wilborn looked a little raw from the video IMO.
GO RAMS
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

SandorClegane wrote: 2 weeks ago What am I missing with this projected starting lineup talk. Based on our current roster, there is NO WAY House doesn’t start at the 2. He was easily our best player last year and some games was our only good player. I’d like to see a little more consistency but he was without a doubt our best offensive player last year. Green was a close second in my book.
Agreed. Still a lot in flux but he’s someone that is as close to a surefire starter as anyone.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 week ago
SandorClegane wrote: 2 weeks ago What am I missing with this projected starting lineup talk. Based on our current roster, there is NO WAY House doesn’t start at the 2. He was easily our best player last year and some games was our only good player. I’d like to see a little more consistency but he was without a doubt our best offensive player last year. Green was a close second in my book.
Agreed. Still a lot in flux but he’s someone that is as close to a surefire starter as anyone.
But I was told by the almighty Ramster that David Green should be starting at the 2?
Go Rhody
4Diffs
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 4Diffs »

To interrupt the personal animus going back and forth in this thread, Will Wade is crushing the transfer portal at McNeese fing State. Do you think they are going there for NIL money? No they are going there because they like the coach and the style of play. This team would wipe the floor with our team next year. Coaching still matters, it isn't all about the NIL. I thought I could link it but could not as it was in the form of an email so had to cut & paste. And yes this is the podcast that Archie used to be part of.

McNeese adds its 4th impact transfer. Next season's squad could flirt with the Top 25. Plus, Kugel's back in the portal, UCLA adds an impact freshman, and much more.

Sounds like we’re headed for a day where the conference realignment rumors will start flying. Oh, joy.
Subscribe to The Field of 68 Daily

Let's get to Wednesday’s news.

1. Will McNeese enter 2024-25 as a Top 25 team?
McNeese rolled through the Southland this season, going 17-1 and winning the league by three games en route to a 12 seed in the NCAA Tournament.
Get ready for more of the same next season.
Syracuse guard Quadir Copeland committed to McNeese on Wednesday. The 6-6 sophomore averaged 9.6 ppg, 4.6 rpg and 2.8 apg in a role that largely featured him coming off the bench. He’ll likely get more playing time at McNeese, which was part of why he left Syracuse.
“This will be an opportunity to showcase my talent and play for a coach that believes in me and my abilities,” he told ZAGSBLOG. “That’s the most important thing. And I will bring energy, excitement, and love.”
He’ll certainly bring talent.
Copeland joins 2024 transfers Sincere Parker (Saint Louis), Brandon Murray (Ole Miss) and Joe Charles (Lafayette) as 4-star transfers (per evanmiya.com) headed to McNeese. (They also have ASU forward Bryant Selebangue coming in.)
It’s a fearsome roster that coach Will Wade will have in just his second season. Given the Cowboys already return three starters in Christian Shumate, Javohn Garcia and DJ Richards, and it seems unlikely they’ll lose a conference game.

Two questions for next year:
• Will McNeese earn enough attention off its 30-4 season and transfer haul to earn preseason Top 25 votes? Voters won’t go so crazy to actually slot them in at No. 25 will they?
• What’s the non-conference schedule? The Cowboys played four non-D-I opponents this season, along with games against Michigan, VCU and UAB. There’s no upside to playing them if you’re a power conference team, which could be the one hinderance to McNeese earning an at-large bid if it somehow stumbles in the Southland tourney.
2. Riley Kugel’s back in the portal
Florida guard Riley Kugel reportedly isn’t going to Kansas after all.

Subscribe to The Field of 68 Daily to read the rest.
Become a paying subscriber of The Field of 68 Daily to get access to this post and other subscriber-only content.
Upgrade
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 week ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 2 weeks ago We're not talking about a project in Zapala. We're talking about a 5th year senior. C'mon.
I would have loved Wilborn. I think he's going to be a great player. I think he's a better player than Zapala. But I don't understand why you think this kid is terrible.

He's definitely not a project. Talking strictly about basketball, what do you not like about his game? He's a decent rim protector, has good size, rebounds well, finishes well, has good speed for his height, and he's solid in the pick-and-roll. What I'm seeing is a kid who gets into foul trouble and has issues with stamina. But when he's on the floor, he produces.

Forget his per-40 stats, which are FANTASTIC. Forget that he led his team in PER with a ridiculously high 28. Our highest PER for players that played was Fuchs and Fou at 18. Forget about those... His NORMAL stats are 10 and 5 in 17 minutes mpg. Why do you think that's so bad? I really don't get it.

He had 196 rebounds last year. Our team high was Fuchs's 174, and second was Brown's 132.
He had 29 blocks last year. Our team high was Brown's 22, and the second was Fou's 14.
He shot 62% from the field, while Brown was first on our team at 57%.

If he's the same player as last season, he can make a decent impact while guys like Green and Fuchs are getting a rest. He's an upgrade over Brown and Fou. If he improves from last year, he could be a good piece. In fact, if Fuchs doesn't take the jump we need, I could see him starting some games. I would definitely take him.
I don't think he's terrible. I don't see the point of bringing in a guy for just one year unless that guy is a stud and gives us a chance to compete at the top of the league. It's more about building something at this point. Either get a one year stud or a younger guy who can help us grow as a team together for future years. I said in an earlier point, Zapala will be in his 5th year, Wilborn will be in his 2nd. That's the difference. I know in these crazy times that if we got Wilburn that there's no guarantee that he'd be here for more than one year. But I know for sure that Zapala won't. I don't see the point of bringing in a guy for one year who might make us a little better and make us an 8th place team. If we improve a little bit this year, then what? If a one year guy can make us a top 4 team in the conference and maybe contend for a championship, sure, bring him in. If the increased NIL through Rhody Excellence and the practice facility are as Archie has called them both, 'game changers', go get that guy! I'll admit I have never seen him play, but my guess is that Zapala isn't that guy.Maybe Wilborn isn't either, but at least we'd have a chance to develop him and have a little continuity (maybe) in building a team for the next couple of years.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 week ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 2 weeks ago We're not talking about a project in Zapala. We're talking about a 5th year senior. C'mon.
I would have loved Wilborn. I think he's going to be a great player. I think he's a better player than Zapala. But I don't understand why you think this kid is terrible.

He's definitely not a project. Talking strictly about basketball, what do you not like about his game? He's a decent rim protector, has good size, rebounds well, finishes well, has good speed for his height, and he's solid in the pick-and-roll. What I'm seeing is a kid who gets into foul trouble and has issues with stamina. But when he's on the floor, he produces.

Forget his per-40 stats, which are FANTASTIC. Forget that he led his team in PER with a ridiculously high 28. Our highest PER for players that played was Fuchs and Fou at 18. Forget about those... His NORMAL stats are 10 and 5 in 17 minutes mpg. Why do you think that's so bad? I really don't get it.

He had 196 rebounds last year. Our team high was Fuchs's 174, and second was Brown's 132.
He had 29 blocks last year. Our team high was Brown's 22, and the second was Fou's 14.

If he's the same player as last season, he can make a decent impact while guys like Green and Fuchs are getting a rest. He's an upgrade over Brown and Fou. If he improves from last year, he could be a good piece. In fact, if Fuchs doesn't take the jump we need, I could see him starting some games. I would definitely take him.
I don't think he's terrible. I don't see the point of bringing in a guy for just one year unless that guy is a stud and gives us a chance to compete at the top of the league. It's more about building something at this point. Either get a one year stud or a younger guy who can help us grow as a team together for future years. I said in an earlier point, Zapala will be in his 5th year, Wilborn will be in his 2nd. That's the difference. I know in these crazy times that if we got Wilburn that there's no guarantee that he'd be here for more than one year. But I know for sure that Zapala won't. I don't see the point of bringing in a guy for one year who might make us a little better and make us an 8th place team. If we improve a little bit this year, then what? If a one year guy can make us a top 4 team in the conference and maybe contend for a championship, sure, bring him in. If the increased NIL through Rhody Excellence and the practice facility are as Archie has called them both, 'game changers', go get that guy! I'll admit I have never seen him play, but my guess is that Zapala isn't that guy.Maybe Wilborn isn't either, but at least we'd have a chance to develop him and have a little continuity (maybe) in building a team for the next couple of years.
Yeah but we still have 3 scholarships left.

Zapala is a plug and play immediate impact guy and we very likely get another big with one of the other schollies.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

4Diffs wrote: 1 week ago To interrupt the personal animus going back and forth in this thread, Will Wade is crushing the transfer portal at McNeese fing State. Do you think they are going there for NIL money? No they are going there because they like the coach and the style of play. This team would wipe the floor with our team next year. Coaching still matters, it isn't all about the NIL. I thought I could link it but could not as it was in the form of an email so had to cut & paste. And yes this is the podcast that Archie used to be part of.

McNeese adds its 4th impact transfer. Next season's squad could flirt with the Top 25. Plus, Kugel's back in the portal, UCLA adds an impact freshman, and much more.

Sounds like we’re headed for a day where the conference realignment rumors will start flying. Oh, joy.

McNeese rolled through the Southland this season, going 17-1 and winning the league by three games en route to a 12 seed in the NCAA Tournament.
Syracuse guard Quadir Copeland committed to McNeese on Wednesday. The 6-6 sophomore averaged 9.6 ppg, 4.6 rpg and 2.8 apg in a role that largely featured him coming off the bench. He’ll likely get more playing time at McNeese, which was part of why he left Syracuse.
“This will be an opportunity to showcase my talent and play for a coach that believes in me and my abilities,” he told ZAGSBLOG. “That’s the most important thing. And I will bring energy, excitement, and love.”
Copeland joins 2024 transfers Sincere Parker (Saint Louis), Brandon Murray (Ole Miss) and Joe Charles (Lafayette) as 4-star transfers (per evanmiya.com) headed to McNeese. (They also have ASU forward Bryant Selebangue coming in.)
It’s a fearsome roster that coach Will Wade will have in just his second season. Given the Cowboys already return three starters in Christian Shumate, Javohn Garcia and DJ Richards, and it seems unlikely they’ll lose a conference game.

• Will McNeese earn enough attention off its 30-4 season and transfer haul to earn preseason Top 25 votes? Voters won’t go so crazy to actually slot them in at No. 25 will they?
• What’s the non-conference schedule? The Cowboys played four non-D-I opponents this season, along with games against Michigan, VCU and UAB. There’s no upside to playing them if you’re a power conference team, which could be the one hinderance to McNeese earning an at-large bid if it somehow stumbles in the Southland tourney.

Become a paying subscriber of The Field of 68 Daily to get access to this post and other subscriber-only content.
Upgrade
Only a matter of time Wade is back P5, tremendous coach and recruiter.

The incoming transfers he's getting are absolutely ridiculous for McNeese St and The Southland.

If we got those 5 transfers, this board would be thinking we're an at large candidate. And that thinking would probably be warranted.
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 week ago

Yeah but we still have 3 scholarships left.

Zapala is a plug and play immediate impact guy and we very likely get another big with one of the other schollies.
Yes PRT, I would also welcome Zapala and feel he would be a good fit.
We currently have our starting center, and he will only be a sophomore.
Bringing in a 1-year loaner than can protect the paint and give us some solid minutes, works for me.

We still have spots available, and I also wouldn't be surprised if they bring in a younger PF that can spell Green and share time with Drissa.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Richmond adds George Washington 111.
Was a freshman at Michigan and played limited minutes.

He was a major prep talent, 4* and Ohio Gatorade POY 2023.

Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 week ago Richmond adds George Washington 111.

George Washington Vs George Washington
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

That name really threw me off for a second. I was so confused by "Richmond adds George Washington".
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Looks like VCU finally got their PG to pair with Bam and Zeb in the backcourt.

Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

That was a fast addition, Jersey. Did it even take a full week for VCU to find a PG replacement?
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 week ago That was a fast addition, Jersey. Did it even take a full week for VCU to find a PG replacement?
Yep, good job by Odom, he may even be better than Thomas would have been.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 week ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 week ago That was a fast addition, Jersey. Did it even take a full week for VCU to find a PG replacement?
Will be his 5th Covid year it appears and will be his 4th team

Only played 22 games last year and only started 11 of them
Listed at 5’10”
IMG_3478.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 1 week ago
Will be his 5th Covid year it appears and will be his 4th team

Only played 22 games last year and only started 11 of them
Listed at 5’10”

IMG_3478.png
He should be a solid 1-year loaner for them.
They signed '24 PG freshman recruit Brandon Jennings.

He was banged up earlier in the season.
In the 2024 WACT (3 games) he averaged about 23 pts.

In 22-23 he was 1st Team OVC.
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

I have almost a directly opposite point of view on Zapala. It seemed to click for him last year. He knows the defensive system and can contribute right away at nearly the same level as our young starting center. Due to stamina issues he may not be demanding major minutes which works out great for the opportunity we can offer him. It is not easy to recruit a young guy with multiple years of eligibility to play behind a sophomore. If we get him we will have the center position locked down next season which is a critical season as we desire to be good and stop looking like a rebuild. We need to be a team on the rise and he will help us get there.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Makes sense Billyboy, but I'm not sure the continuity thing is actually going to work very well anymore. Players have agents, portal, pay to play, etc.
Look at PC who brought in 4 transfers and I believe 3 are just 1 year rentals. At least 3 of the 4 are likely to be in the starting lineup

Joseph Bensley Miami
Jabri Abdur-Rahim - Georgia
Christ Essandoko - St Joseph's
Wesley Cardet Jr - Chicago State

Tough on the current roster when transfers come in and take the majority of the playing time minutes available
IMG_3484.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote: 2 weeks ago
Jersey77 wrote: 2 weeks ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 2 weeks ago

I don't normally use per 40 stats, but anyway, for Wilborn, they are Pts: 16.88, Reb: 11.56, Assists: 2.66, Blocks: 2.5.
You are missing the fact that he was only a freshman, being an impact player in his 1st year of Div. 1. I was hoping we would get him, but I am sure the staff has other options.
I would just caution using the phrase "impact player" when we're talking about the guy who was the 2nd leading scorer on a 3 win team in one of the worst conferences in college basketball. There were 2 rotational players taller than 6'8 in the entire conference.

This team finished 352/362 teams in NCAA basketball.

I wish I could say I can't believe that anyone (not you 77) on this board is even pretending to imply that not getting this kid is a "miss" by our recruiting staff - but I have ceased to be shocked by any of the garbage thrown out on here.
Well Blue Man,
According to Rhody Vault “This one stings if you are a Rhode Island fan”

I swear Rhody Vault reads this board and just feeds off the negativity of some and then he thinks most URI fans are this negative. But he is wrong as usual because the majority are positive (not on this board but in general)
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

DeanDome88 wrote: 1 week ago

I have almost a directly opposite point of view on Zapala. It seemed to click for him last year. He knows the defensive system and can contribute right away at nearly the same level as our young starting center. Due to stamina issues he may not be demanding major minutes which works out great for the opportunity we can offer him. It is not easy to recruit a young guy with multiple years of eligibility to play behind a sophomore. If we get him we will have the center position locked down next season which is a critical season as we desire to be good and stop looking like a rebuild. We need to be a team on the rise and he will help us get there.
I agree. This team needs a big who produces in limited minutes but is fine with being a bench piece. Now, if you don't believe in Fuchs, then I understand why people may not like the idea of landing a player like Zapala. I personally believe in Fuchs.

So I guess my question to you, Billy, is, are you not confident with Fuchs being our starter? If so, why not?
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
NarraRamFan
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by NarraRamFan »

Question: How / when does the "1 year rental" of players start to affect the program's graduation rate?

Don't players have to have a certain number of credits to graduate from a specific college / university?

What school takes the hit for the non graduate after he has used up his 4 / 5 years of eligibility?
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

DeanDome88 wrote: 1 week ago

I agree. This team needs a big who produces in limited minutes but is fine with being a bench piece. Now, if you don't believe in Fuchs, then I understand why people may not like the idea of landing a player like Zapala. I personally believe in Fuchs.

So I guess my question to you, Billy, is, are you not confident with Fuchs being our starter? If so, why not?
I think he's a good player. I don't think he's a starting center on an NCAA tournament team. Normally the biggest jump for a college player is from their freshman to sophomore years. I hope he makes that jump this year. We'll see. If he does, my opinion will change.
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

NarraRamFan wrote: 1 week ago Question: How / when does the "1 year rental" of players start to affect the program's graduation rate?

Don't players have to have a certain number of credits to graduate from a specific college / university?

What school takes the hit for the non graduate after he has used up his 4 / 5 years of eligibility?
It’s not “college” basketball anymore. It’s the pros.
Plus there’s AI if any school work is supposed to be done.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rhodyrudder wrote: 1 week ago
NarraRamFan wrote: 1 week ago Question: How / when does the "1 year rental" of players start to affect the program's graduation rate?

Serious question....does APR no longer exist? We remember what an issue it was when Hurley got here because Baron left us in such an academic mess. Why is it no longer an issue? I never even hear about it anymore.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

The NCAA just recently passed some new rules regarding academic requirements for transfers. To be immediately eligible after a transfer, undergraduate student-athletes would have to have left their previous school while academically eligible and in good standing. They are also implementing some other things related to graduation rates.

Lots of details in the release here: https://www.ncaa.org/news/2024/4/17/med ... rules.aspx
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

adam914 wrote: 1 week ago

The NCAA just recently passed some new rules regarding academic requirements for transfers. To be immediately eligible after a transfer, undergraduate student-athletes would have to have left their previous school while academically eligible and in good standing. They are also implementing some other things related to graduation rates.

Lots of details in the release here: https://www.ncaa.org/news/2024/4/17/med ... rules.aspx
Today's college pro scene takes the Sgt. Schulz approach to academics. I think the reason you don't hear about it is because no one is enforcing it...everyone's too afraid to enforce anything, lest it be the final stick smack that busts open the piñata and ushers in the age of the player's union.
I'm thinking just hurry up and do it (unionize the players) already. What we have now is going to be vastly different, and even more 'professional' in a year...
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

rhodyrudder wrote: 1 week ago

Serious question....does APR no longer exist? We remember what an issue it was when Hurley got here because Baron left us in such an academic mess. Why is it no longer an issue? I never even hear about it anymore.
Because for pretty much all sports, graduation rates are up. Transferring incentivizes players to stay eligible, after all. Our APR numbers have been fine for a couple years now.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

woo hoo

lets goooooo r…. !!!!
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Ramfan22 wrote: 1 week ago

they have no right to be called george washington anymore

how dare they

change your university name now

and your stupid court
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 1 week ago
Ramfan22 wrote: 1 week ago

they have no right to be called george washington anymore

how dare they

change your university name now

and your stupid court
Why do you say they should change their University name ECR?
Or do you mean change the Revolutionaries name?

Revolutionaries seems applicable today with all the stuff going on there now outside the Presiden't residence
GW may be in danger of canceling In-Person Graduation or having possible interruptions to the Graduation exercises
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

ok .. my beef is a certain new uniform on george washington that fecklessly remained

now that i got that off my chest i am moving on...

so i don't get booted off of here !
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 1 week ago ok .. my beef is a certain new uniform on george washington that fecklessly remained

now that i got that off my chest i am moving on...

so i don't get booted off of here !
got it
79RhodyFan
Steve Chubin

Unread post by 79RhodyFan »

Many times daily I check here to hopefully read about a new addition from the portal to our rooster. But I only see other schools getting players, many times from A10 schools. I am getting very anxious for good URI news. I will admit I am not a very patient person. So to be able to read something related to URI recruiting news I thought maybe it would be fun to start a pool guessing the position and date of our next commit. I will start with 5/27 will will announce a center committing to URI. I didn't put the year because at this rate I am not sure what year lol
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

79RhodyFan wrote: 1 week ago Many times daily I check here to hopefully read about a new addition from the portal to our rooster. But I only see other schools getting players, many times from A10 schools. I am getting very anxious for good URI news. I will admit I am not a very patient person. So to be able to read something related to URI recruiting news I thought maybe it would be fun to start a pool guessing the position and date of our next commit. I will start with 5/27 will will announce a center committing to URI. I didn't put the year because at this rate I am not sure what year lol
Ha, I think we'll manage to snag at least a couple more players for 2024-25... But yeah. I'd think that our starting five is some combination from the six of House, Fuchs, Green, Lawrence, Thomas and Estevez, with Traore as the "first big off bench," and Wright and Farrell probably absorbing the PT scraps, unless Farrell surprises in practice. We don't really have obvious "starter minutes" to offer to a transfer, and that's still the number one motivation for transfers. I think that 1 to 7 or 8 on the depth chart is better than Miller's first two years, but I haven't really looked at the projected production of that lineup vs. last year's, so I don't know if that lineup means we're more at .500, or flirting with 20 wins, or "shit we suck again."
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... r-8-9-guys

Interesting philosophy and one that I sort of agree with and think it may be a smart move for certain programs.
Go Rhody
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 week ago https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... r-8-9-guys

Interesting philosophy and one that I sort of agree with and think it may be a smart move for certain programs.
This creates the perfect opportunity for a coach at a smaller program to get freshmen talent and let them be actively recruited during the season to be 1 of the 8-9 guys on a high level team. Just recruit high level freshmen talent with the express goal of giving them college minutes and letting that talent go P5 after a year or two when they are ready to go. Fill in with some high character, high IQ bball players who may be borderline D1 players to be player coaches.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 1 week ago https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... r-8-9-guys

To each their own but I am not a fan of this.

Teams can get hit hard with the injury bug, then foul issues.
Also, some players leave for personal issues, suspensions, academic eligibility, etc, etc....
Then where does that leave you?

Plus, certain players may not perform as well as expected and others further down the bench may surprise and play better than originally anticipated.

In this current climate when you have an average of 6-7 players leaving every season due to graduation or the portal, you should try to keep a little continuity in the program.

You get 13 scholarships; I say use them because you never know what may happen.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Played his Freshman year at Dayton and made A10 All Rookie Team, then transferred to San Francisco

adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

To each their own but I am not a fan of this.

Teams can get hit hard with the injury bug, then foul issues.
Also, some players leave for personal issues, suspensions, academic eligibility, etc, etc....
Then where does that leave you?

Plus, certain players may not perform as well as expected and others further down the bench may surprise and play better than originally anticipated.

In this current climate when you have an average of 6-7 players leaving every season due to graduation or the portal, you should try to keep a little continuity in the program.

You get 13 scholarships; I say use them because you never know what may happen.
I had the same thought about potential injuries and things like that which could make this plan backfire pretty quickly. Part of me also wonders if its just some spin from Coach Cal because he is worried he might not fill out the roster in his first year. :lol:
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

79RhodyFan wrote: 1 week ago Many times daily I check here to hopefully read about a new addition from the portal to our rooster. But I only see other schools getting players, many times from A10 schools. I am getting very anxious for good URI news. I will admit I am not a very patient person. So to be able to read something related to URI recruiting news I thought maybe it would be fun to start a pool guessing the position and date of our next commit. I will start with 5/27 will will announce a center committing to URI. I didn't put the year because at this rate I am not sure what year lol
Same for me as well. Tough seeing other programs adding players and nothing much happening at URI. Not very much excited for what we presently have as I think it is a recipe for another near the bottom A-10 finish. I however fear that there are few good players left for adds so we will pretty much have the roster now known save for some possible new bench players. Very discouraging last few years to be a Rhody fan. Starting to lose hope things will soon change. Our program seems to be stuck in idle.
Last edited by RF1 1 week ago, edited 1 time in total.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RF1 wrote: 1 week ago
Same for me as well. Tough seeing other programs adding players and nothing much happening at URI. Not very much excited for what we presently have as I think it is a recipe for another near the bottom A-10 finish. I however fear that there are few good players left for adds so we will pretty much have the roster now known save for some possible new bench players. Very discouraging last few years to be a Rhody fan. Starting to lose hope things will soon change.
As with most of our thinking, I also expect we will see some additions fairly soon, that should be a nice fit and will contribute, but very doubtful at this point we add any major impact starters.
Even though nothing is guaranteed, most of us have a pretty good idea of our probable starting 5 or pretty close.

Like I said with our current group they should make some noise and be much more competitive this season.
Although as things are looking now, they may have trouble cracking the top 5.
But I think the A10 will once again be tough, and anything can happen.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Richmond gets the Greek from UConn.

Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 1 week ago
4Diffs wrote: 1 week ago To interrupt the personal animus going back and forth in this thread, Will Wade is crushing the transfer portal at McNeese fing State. Do you think they are going there for NIL money? No they are going there because they like the coach and the style of play. This team would wipe the floor with our team next year. Coaching still matters, it isn't all about the NIL. I thought I could link it but could not as it was in the form of an email so had to cut & paste. And yes this is the podcast that Archie used to be part of.

Upgrade
Only a matter of time Wade is back P5, tremendous coach and recruiter.

The incoming transfers he's getting are absolutely ridiculous for McNeese St and The Southland.

If we got those 5 transfers, this board would be thinking we're an at large candidate. And that thinking would probably be warranted.
PF Jerome Brewer Jr (14 pts/ 5 rebs), just committed to McNeese State.
Another strong addition for Wade, wonder how much NIL $ they have.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

ramster wrote: 1 week ago Played his Freshman year at Dayton and made A10 All Rookie Team, then transferred to San Francisco

He's kind of a weird guy for bigger programs to be so hot over! Like, he's perfectly fine. The WCC was roughly the 11th best conference by metrics this year, the A-10 was 8th. His per-40 stats were 12.4 points, 4.8 rebounds, 4.3 assists, PER 13.3. On our team, that's equivalent to guys like Kortright, Estevez and Montgomery, none of which were really hot portal prospects. He's 6'8" and formerly a highly ranked recruit, so maybe it's easier for a coach to talk himself into, "Well obviously, I'll be the one who unlocks this!"
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Well, for all the Zapala haters on here, I was told he's out of reach now. There are too many better programs and a few high majors pursuing him so we are a long shot.. Hopefully, that's not the case.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Jersey77 wrote: 1 week ago Richmond gets the Greek from UConn.

Maybe we'll land a former Uconn player, too..
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jersey77 wrote: 1 week ago Richmond gets the Greek from UConn.

Maybe we'll land a former Uconn player, too..
Hoping so, we think alike.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Fordham gets a rim protector. Freshman Jaden Smith who was an ESPN 4 star, is 6’11 and decommitted from Arizona State.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 week ago
Ha, I think we'll manage to snag at least a couple more players for 2024-25... But yeah. I'd think that our starting five is some combination from the six of House, Fuchs, Green, Lawrence, Thomas and Estevez, with Traore as the "first big off bench," and Wright and Farrell probably absorbing the PT scraps, unless Farrell surprises in practice. We don't really have obvious "starter minutes" to offer to a transfer, and that's still the number one motivation for transfers. I think that 1 to 7 or 8 on the depth chart is better than Miller's first two years, but I haven't really looked at the projected production of that lineup vs. last year's, so I don't know if that lineup means we're more at .500, or flirting with 20 wins, or "shit we suck again."
Saying "we don't have starter minutes" to me means, "we don't want anyone better than we already have."
Depressing....I hope that's not the case... Sure, we may not "get" anyone better, but I'm thinking for the right player... there's starter minutes available. Saying otherwise just sounds defeatist .....