Men's Basketball Transfer Carousel and Portal - 2024-25

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Re: Men's Basketball Transfer Carousel and Portal - 2024-25

Unread post by Jersey77 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 week ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 week ago $2 mil for one year?

If that tweet is accurate, 78, that is crazy. I wonder what he was paid for last season?

When will this NIL payout market find a level? It has to, right? But then, maybe not?

I guess as long as there are desperate programs and desperate collectives, it will just continue to go up and up.

It’s like the arms race of the 80’s that brought Russia to its knees. The US, being the power conference, just out spent everyone else until no country could keep up.

Like Ripley said in Aliens, let’s nuke ‘em from orbit. Somebody smack down these power conferences and bring some sanity to player movement and compensation.
He's not actually going to get that. They throw out ridiculous numbers all the time. It's bs.

He'll make money! It won't be 2 million though.
I agree PRT, doubt it very much.
He isn't worth anything close to that.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 week ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 1 week ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 week ago $2 mil for one year?

If that tweet is accurate, 78, that is crazy. I wonder what he was paid for last season?

When will this NIL payout market find a level? It has to, right? But then, maybe not?

I guess as long as there are desperate programs and desperate collectives, it will just continue to go up and up.

It’s like the arms race of the 80’s that brought Russia to its knees. The US, being the power conference, just out spent everyone else until no country could keep up.

Like Ripley said in Aliens, let’s nuke ‘em from orbit. Somebody smack down these power conferences and bring some sanity to player movement and compensation.
He's not actually going to get that. They throw out ridiculous numbers all the time. It's bs.

He'll make money! It won't be 2 million though.
I agree PRT, doubt it very much.
He isn't worth anything close to that.
Yeah a lot of these players are being numbers that are just not realistic.
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 week ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 1 week ago Still holding out hope for Zapala

Zapala and Wilburn and we cookin
Pretty sure it's Montana for Zappa...something about becoming a mental toss flycoon

ETA...there is some serious guitar here...
Zappa was an underrated guitarist. With an unusual sense of humor
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

PRT, when I think of it, no way he gets $2 mil. Not after taxes, his agent’s cut, he takes care of his PG (get the big man the ball), the team equipment manager for some extra gear.

I know I am forgetting others.

Show me the money….where it all went, that is ?!

:lol:

ETA: Forgot the tutors. Gotta duke the tutors. And, that dude taking the exam for you, too. Dang, the cost of business is high. He may need $2 mil after all. :lol: :lol: :lol:
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

CamsRams wrote: 1 week ago
The one time #notcommitted is a good thing. I have a feeling he ends up in the A10
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Seems appropriate at this time. WE want it all but we can't have it.(this was my amp song for huge surf)

NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

UCH21377 wrote: 1 week ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 week ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 1 week ago Still holding out hope for Zapala

Zapala and Wilburn and we cookin
Pretty sure it's Montana for Zappa...something about becoming a mental toss flycoon

ETA...there is some serious guitar here...
Zappa was an underrated guitarist. With an unusual sense of humor
extremely underrated unusual sense of humor...
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Ramfan22 wrote: 1 week ago
The one time #notcommitted is a good thing. I have a feeling he ends up in the A10
The Dukes also looking at PF Myles Foster who was scheduled to visit there.
Last season he averaged 12.4 pts/ 8 rebs at Illinois State (MVC).
He is from Brooklyn, NY and a multi-transfer, also spent time at Monmouth.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Is there a clause in the contracts for these guys who are making $250,000 and up that if they are academically ineligible or get in trouble that they don’t get the NIL money. It seems like no one has academic difficulties any longer or is ineligible because of this. The NCAA went from way to strict to really having no rules at all
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RamStock wrote: 1 week ago Is there a clause in the contracts for these guys who are making $250,000 and up that if they are academically ineligible or get in trouble that they don’t get the NIL money. It seems like no one has academic difficulties any longer or is ineligible because of this. The NCAA went from way to strict to really having no rules at all
Caleb Love last year and an FAU player this year were denied admittance to Michigan due to academics.
Go Rhody
Ramfan22
ARD

I think Duquesne only has 1 spot left. Foster had some bigger schools highly interested in him don’t think he’s going to be the guy to fill that spot.
Ramfan22
ARD

Rhody15 wrote: 1 week ago
RamStock wrote: 1 week ago Is there a clause in the contracts for these guys who are making $250,000 and up that if they are academically ineligible or get in trouble that they don’t get the NIL money. It seems like no one has academic difficulties any longer or is ineligible because of this. The NCAA went from way to strict to really having no rules at all
Caleb Love last year and an FAU player this year were denied admittance to Michigan due to academics.
Michigan had a few transfers get denied because of academics. Nojel Eastern from Purdue, Terrance Shannon from Texas Tech, Caleb Love from UNC, and now this year Johnel Davis from FAU.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I think Duquesne only has 1 spot left. Foster had some bigger schools highly interested in him don’t think he’s going to be the guy to fill that spot.
22, I think they have 2 spots available.
They are also heavily involved with CG Amare Marshall (Albany) averaged 16.7 pts (37% 3PT) who just visited.
Ramfan22
ARD

22, I think they have 2 spots available.
They are also heavily involved with CG Amare Marshall (Albany) averaged 16.7 pts (37% 3PT) who just visited.
Oh didn’t know that. Think they’re involved with Maximus Edwards from GW too
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

So, we could be losing a recruiting battle to Duquesne?
rhodyram22
ARD

Unread post by rhodyram22 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 week ago So, we could be losing a recruiting battle to Duquesne?
They were in the NCAAT this year. Why are you surprised?
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rhodyram22 wrote: 1 week ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 1 week ago So, we could be losing a recruiting battle to Duquesne?
It's Duquesne. Shows how far we've fallen in just a short time. It wasn't long ago that people here were saying they wished the A10 would drop Duquesne.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Their first NCAA appearance since 1977, and the coach who got them there retired…so yes, surprised.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RIFan wrote: 1 week ago
Their first NCAA appearance since 1977, and the coach who got them there retired…so yes, surprised.
Duquesne getting improved press in Pittsburgh too

Bronny James still a possibility. He could join Duquesne even without a scholarship needed.

Shows how an Assistant Coach promoted to HC can leverage his own ability plus take advantage of winning the A10 plus NCAA Tournament performance to keep the momentum going.

RECRUITINGDuquesne to Host Two Transfers for Visits This WeekPublished 5 days ago on May 1, 2024 By George Michalowski

Dru Joyce III’s Duquesne basketball staff has been on a tear in the transfer portal this spring.

Joyce has earned commitments from four transfers in the past couple of weeks alone — earning pledges from Tre Dinkins (Canisius transfer), Jahsean Corbett (Chicago State transfer), Alex Williams (Furman), and Cam Crawford (Marshall). Now, Joyce and his staff are still working the portal, and have invited two more visitors to check out the campus and facilities on the bluff.

This week, the Dukes will host two visitors: Myles Foster and Amar’e Marshall.

Foster, an Illinois State transfer, heard from a long list of schools upon his entry into the portal. Adam Zagoria reported that Foster previously had a zoom meeting with the SMU staff, and also spoke with the Tennessee and Florida State staffs, among others. He is a 6-foot-7, 235-pound forward who averaged 12.4 points and 8.1 rebounds per game this past season for the Redbirds. The Brooklyn, New York native began his career with Monmouth, playing three seasons there before spending this past year in Normal, Illinois. He will visit the Dukes on Thursday, May 2 per source.

Marshall is a 6-foot-4, 207-pound guard who averaged 16.7 points and five rebounds per game this past season with the Great Danes. He hit 37% of his three-point attempts this past season as just a sophomore. The Montclair, New Jersey native began his career at Hofstra before transferring to Albany for this past season. Marshall entered the portal earlier this spring and heard from schools such as Virginia Tech, Seton Hall, and many others. He then visited George Mason and Florida State, and will now take a trip to Pittsburgh to check out Duquesne on Saturday.

http://websites.milonic.com/duquesnefan ... 3Fid%253D1
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

……..so, so, so…….maybe this week we will have some arrivals?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
79RhodyFan
Steve Chubin

Unread post by 79RhodyFan »

section(105) wrote: 1 week ago ……..so, so, so…….maybe this week we will have some arrivals?
I am starting to lose hope. It’s been just too quiet. But we really need another big.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

79RhodyFan wrote: 1 week ago
section(105) wrote: 1 week ago ……..so, so, so…….maybe this week we will have some arrivals?
I am starting to lose hope. It’s been just too quiet. But we really need another big.
Yes, for sure. All according to Archie’s plan I guess. Hard to imagine we go into the season with what we have now. Maybe some totally unknown international player with some skills that are a fit in Archie’s plan?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

ramster wrote: 1 week ago

Duquesne getting improved press in Pittsburgh too

Bronny James still a possibility. He could join Duquesne even without a scholarship needed.

Shows how an Assistant Coach promoted to HC can leverage his own ability plus take advantage of winning the A10 plus NCAA Tournament performance to keep the momentum going.

RECRUITINGDuquesne to Host Two Transfers for Visits This WeekPublished 5 days ago on May 1, 2024 By George Michalowski

Dru Joyce III’s Duquesne basketball staff has been on a tear in the transfer portal this spring.

Joyce has earned commitments from four transfers in the past couple of weeks alone — earning pledges from Tre Dinkins (Canisius transfer), Jahsean Corbett (Chicago State transfer), Alex Williams (Furman), and Cam Crawford (Marshall). Now, Joyce and his staff are still working the portal, and have invited two more visitors to check out the campus and facilities on the bluff.

This week, the Dukes will host two visitors: Myles Foster and Amar’e Marshall.

Foster, an Illinois State transfer, heard from a long list of schools upon his entry into the portal. Adam Zagoria reported that Foster previously had a zoom meeting with the SMU staff, and also spoke with the Tennessee and Florida State staffs, among others. He is a 6-foot-7, 235-pound forward who averaged 12.4 points and 8.1 rebounds per game this past season for the Redbirds. The Brooklyn, New York native began his career with Monmouth, playing three seasons there before spending this past year in Normal, Illinois. He will visit the Dukes on Thursday, May 2 per source.

Marshall is a 6-foot-4, 207-pound guard who averaged 16.7 points and five rebounds per game this past season with the Great Danes. He hit 37% of his three-point attempts this past season as just a sophomore. The Montclair, New Jersey native began his career at Hofstra before transferring to Albany for this past season. Marshall entered the portal earlier this spring and heard from schools such as Virginia Tech, Seton Hall, and many others. He then visited George Mason and Florida State, and will now take a trip to Pittsburgh to check out Duquesne on Saturday.

http://websites.milonic.com/duquesnefan ... 3Fid%253D1
Seems lots of A10 schools get a recruiting bump with a new coach…still waiting for ours.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I wouldn't be so shocked.
Their recent success with winning the A10T plus a win in the NCAAT last season along with the shoutouts from LeBron means much more than past history to these current players.
Duquesne has invested in their program plus they are within 2 hours of where Wilborn played at St. Francis, so yeah Duquesne is a concern.

Joyce is a young energetic coach and seems to be doing well in the portal so far, we will see how much success he has as a HC, but this is a roster rebuilding year for him.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 1 week ago Good local article on Wilborn

https://www.middletownpress.com/gametim ... 608560.php
Yes Ramster, I had read that earlier, it's a nice piece.

He was excited to play against Central Ct so his family, friends, and inner circle could attend and watch him.

URI is relatively close to Middletown, maybe that could be a good draw for him.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

He was excited to play against Central Ct so his family, friends, and inner circle could attend and watch him.

I hope he's smart enough to not try to make too big a jump. I think he would struggle in ACC.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Iggy1979 wrote: 1 week ago [quote=Jersey77 post_id=603395 time=<a href="tel:1715000379">1715000379</a> user_id=2671]
[quote=ramster post_id=603394 time=<a href="tel:1714999449">1714999449</a> user_id=144]
Good local article on Wilborn

Sure, I would be OK with him filling a need here, fit for Archie from the player development angle?

[/quote]
I hope he's smart enough to not try to make too big a jump. I think he would struggle in ACC.
[/quote]
Iggy1979 wrote: 1 week ago

Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Iggy1979 wrote: 1 week ago

Yeah, many try to and are disappointed.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

I would be OK with him filling a need. Is he a fit for Archie for the player development plan?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RAMFAN
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RAMFAN »

What's Archie's player development plan?
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Their recent success with winning the A10T plus a win in the NCAAT last season along with the shoutouts from LeBron means much more than past history to these current players.
Duquesne has invested in their program plus they are within 2 hours of where Wilborn played at St. Francis, so yeah Duquesne is a concern.

Joyce is a young energetic coach and seems to be doing well in the portal so far, we will see how much success he has as a HC, but this is a roster rebuilding year for him.
And Kingston is one hour and 17 minutes from where he lives. I'm sorry, if we lose a recruiting battle for a New England kid at a position we really need, to Duquesne, that's a problem.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

There are still academic eligibility rules and just a few weeks ago additional rules were put in place for academic requirements needed to be able to transfer and be eligible immediately.

https://www.ncaa.org/news/2024/4/17/med ... rules.aspx
Specifically, to be immediately eligible after a transfer, undergraduate student-athletes would have to have left their previous school while academically eligible and in good standing (not subject to disciplinary suspension or dismissal) and meet progress-toward-degree requirements at their new school before competing. For graduate transfer student-athletes to be eligible, they would have to earn a degree from their previous school, leave while academically eligible and be enrolled as a full-time postgraduate student while continuing to satisfy minimum academic standards.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

we may end up with great players (hopefully).. but this is absolutely absurd we don't have a team yet

who can root for this nonsense year in and year out ?
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 week ago

And Kingston is one hour and 17 minutes from where he lives. I'm sorry, if we lose a recruiting battle for a New England kid at a position we really need, to Duquesne, that's a problem.
Yeah Billy, I would also be disappointed if we miss out on him. He seems to be a perfect fit and 3 years left.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

It's Duquesne. Shows how far we've fallen in just a short time. It wasn't long ago that people here were saying they wished the A10 would drop Duquesne.
78, it’s what have you done for me lately syndrome, I think? Duq made noise recently while we haven’t. We are irrelevant at this point in time in comparison. Temporarily lower than Duq in the A10 pecking order or fallen below them, as you posted.

We are like a business that can’t advertise. Unless someone walks or drives by, no one knows we exist, never mind stop and come in. The business doesn’t even appear to be open at the moment.

Perhaps there is a lot of activity going on in the back room that is unknown for a short time and the perception of it is wrong?

Anyway, man, I need a jolt. Hopefully, good roster news is on the horizon.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 week ago

78, it’s what have you done for me lately syndrome, I think? Duq made noise recently while we haven’t. We are irrelevant at this point in time in comparison. Temporarily lower than Duq in the A10 pecking order or fallen below them, as you posted.

We are like a business that can’t advertise. Unless someone walks or drives by, no one knows we exist, never mind stop and come in. The business doesn’t even appear to be open at the moment.

Perhaps there is a lot of activity going on in the back room that is unknown for a short time and the perception of it is wrong?

So just for comparison's sake:

Last year Kortright, House, and Montgomery all committed mid-April.

The previous year though, Freeman was mid-April, Harris was May 31, Weston and Tchikou transferred in August.

Isaiah Miranda transferred to OSU last year in June.

I'm not sure this is such a wild timeline that we're on. Rosters all over the country are still in flux. Now that teams know who's staying put, I feel like the real recruiting just started.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Blue Man wrote: 1 week ago

So just for comparison's sake:

Last year Kortright, House, and Montgomery all committed mid-April.

The previous year though, Freeman was mid-April, Harris was May 31, Weston and Tchikou transferred in August.

Isaiah Miranda transferred to OSU last year in June.

I'm not sure this is such a wild timeline that we're on. Rosters all over the country are still in flux. Now that teams know who's staying put, I feel like the real recruiting just started.
Thanks for walking me off the ledge, BlueMan. 👍🏼

Back to a balanced view of reality. Whew
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Isn't the name Archie Miller supposed to mean something?
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

To die hard college basketball fans, yes.

To teenage/playersin their early 20s who have never seen Archie have success, no.
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

To teenage/playersin their early 20s who have never seen Archie have success, no.
What about their coaches? What about their agents that many now have? These guys have a lot of influence on where kids go.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

What about their coaches? What about their agents that many now have? These guys have a lot of influence on where kids go.
78, I haven’t put much thought into agents to this point - that is, until your post above.

With more and more money at stake for players and therefore agents, the influence of agents will only grow to the point of eclipsing the influence of others advising players, imho. Especially when considering that I am thinking professional agents with the resources of a firm behind him or her.

I can’t imagine these larger agent firms walking away from this revenue stream being what agent industry competition is.

Some players will buck the trend, however, just as some professional athletes have.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Very impressive pick up for The Rick

RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

It appears that the only name that matters to the recruits is Ben, as in show me the Benjamin’s. Archie who? I only care what Ben has to say…
rhodyram22
ARD

Unread post by rhodyram22 »

Who cares about the past. They're a much better team/program than URI right now.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Good pickup for SJU. I wonder what he costs ?

Rightly or wrongly, it’s the first thing that comes to mind, for me anyway, when I see these portal commitment announcements
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 week ago Good pickup for SJU. I wonder what he costs ?

Rightly or wrongly, it’s the first thing that comes to mind, for me anyway, when I see these portal commitment announcements
Once the pot of gold explodes (when the lawsuit stick hits the pinata in just the right place, and we ARE getting there), and the collectives are no more...we'll all know...
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Who cares about the past. They're a much better team/program than URI right now.
Exactly. And that's the problem. The fact that Duquesne is a better program than URI is.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

I/ll bet that in his mind, yes. To another player out there, no, probably not much. Mickey Mouse can coach the team, if the player gets his $$, playing time and exposure. No?
Ram logo via Grist 1938