A-10 Outlook for 2023-24

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: A10 Outlook for 2023-24

Unread post by ramster »

Barttorvik 2023-2024 A10 Rankings

1. Duquesne 59
2. Loyola Chicago 63
3. VCU 67
4. Dayton 68
5. St Bonaventure 83
6. George Mason 121
7. St Louis 129
8. St Joseph's 131
9. Fordham 143
10. Richmond 164
11. URI 185
12. LaSalle 196
13. UMASS 198
14. Davidson 201
15. George Washington 294
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Based on those rankings, what A-hole is picking URI to finish behind GW? It’s getting annoying.
GO RAMS
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 8 months ago Based on those rankings, what A-hole is picking URI to finish behind GW? It’s getting annoying.
GW has arguably the best backcourt in the conference and an All League player, so there is significant talent there.
Go Rhody
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhody Sody wrote: 8 months ago
bigappleram wrote: 8 months ago
Rhody15 wrote: 8 months ago

The amount of tourney level P6 teams the Best A10 teams have lost to the last 5ish years is staggering.

I don’t know the specific numbers but feels like the A10 lost like 8 out of every 10 tourney level OOC games.
More like 9 or 10 out of 10. Dayton beat Kansas in that tourney couple years ago. But trying to think of big wins in OOC by A10 front runners over last 5-6 years and can’t think of any.
Covid year really hurt the a10. Dayton going to the elite 8 or final 4 would have been huge. Plus, Richmond was strong and possibly rhody/st Louis had a chance to advance if they won a10. A10 was on the downswing but it feels like that year really hurt our league.
And all that NCAA revenue to the conference lost. Dayton was all but guaranteed to win its opening game. That plus Richmond would have given the league 3 units.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Bill Koch talked to some of the A10 coaches about NCAA bids. Coaches seem optimistic the conference can get close to being back to where it once was. Probably not a surprise that they'd say that, but we'll see how it plays out. I don't agree with some others that we are now a perennial 1 bid conference, but we do obviously have some work to do.

bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I think 2-3 bids is the new normal and that is perfectly ok.
Cannot trend to 1 bid. 2 at larges and tourney winner and hopefully the latter is 1 of the former to get 3. The days of 4+ are gone. But again, that’s ok. We just need to play at the top of the league.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Agreed, I’m ok with 2-3 and maybe if all things align 4…but 1 is unacceptable and will have a long lasting negative impact on the league and member schools. Many people thought the A10 was a wanna be conference when we were getting 3-5 teams in, what are we now in their minds?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

theblueram wrote: 8 months ago Here's my prediction when NET comes out in December for the A10. I hope I am totally wrong of course, but this is how I see it

0-50 No teams
51-100 3 teams
101-200 5 teams
200+ 7 teams

Now I hope I am wrong, but it seems this conference is getting played as a direct result of the portal and NIL. If this plays out again like last year, we have some serious problems. Who knows, maybe my pessimism is unwarranted and the conference just kills it OOC and heads into conference play with high NET numbers. Let's see what happens.
Looking at End of Season Last Year NET:
54-VCU
77-Dayton
97-St Louis
132-Fordham
137-Duquesne
139-George Mason
145-Davidson
160-Richmond
200-St Bonaventure
201-St Joseph's
203-UMASS
211-George Washington
223-LaSalle
263-URI
269-Loyola Chicago

Results at end of last season are just as you have projected for this coming December when the 1st NET comes out:
0-50 No teams
51-100 3 teams
101-200 5 teams
200+ 7 teams

Going with Ken Pom Preseason:
0-50 No teams
51-100 5 teams
101-200 7 teams
200+ 3 teams

Going with Barttovik Preseason:
0-50 No teams
51-100 5 teams
101-200 8 teams
200+ 2 teams

Hopefully we are in better shape this coming December with NET than how we finished the year last year with our Top 3 Teams having NET of 54, 77 and 97.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

I don't have the time to do it again, but I feel like on one of these threads I did a breakdown of the accuracy of these polls, and I think outside of the top 50 it was luck of the draw, and outside of the top 100 it was a crapshoot.

Don't put stock in these, basketball in a couple of weeks!
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote: 8 months ago I don't have the time to do it again, but I feel like on one of these threads I did a breakdown of the accuracy of these polls, and I think outside of the top 50 it was luck of the draw, and outside of the top 100 it was a crapshoot.

Don't put stock in these, basketball in a couple of weeks!
It's especially unreliable in the portal era.

There's just no way you can be confident with any predictions when basically every team reconstructs its entire roster every year.

We could finish 14th or we could finish 2nd. Who knows.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

adam914 wrote: 8 months ago Bill Koch talked to some of the A10 coaches about NCAA bids. Coaches seem optimistic the conference can get close to being back to where it once was. Probably not a surprise that they'd say that, but we'll see how it plays out. I don't agree with some others that we are now a perennial 1 bid conference, but we do obviously have some work to do.

Adam, I agree. I don’t think we are a perennial one bid league yet. The A10 has enough solid programs to obtain 2 at-large bids and one or two other teams on the bubble but out.

That said, all the programs need to be committed to standards in scheduling, infrastructure, NIL, coaches pay, etc - as well as having a commish that somehow holds conf Presidents accountable to the standards.

Without doing that the conf is at significant risk of sinking to a perennial one bid conference and/or losing the best programs.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

adam914 wrote: 8 months ago Bill Koch talked to some of the A10 coaches about NCAA bids. Coaches seem optimistic the conference can get close to being back to where it once was. Probably not a surprise that they'd say that, but we'll see how it plays out. I don't agree with some others that we are now a perennial 1 bid conference, but we do obviously have some work to do.

Really good find Adam , I think it will be a big stain on the conf if we have back to back 1 bid seasons

I think this year 1 team may build an NCAA tournament resume and it may come down to whether that team wins or losses in the A10 Tournament for multiple bids , we shall see
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Rhody15 wrote: 8 months ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 8 months ago Based on those rankings, what A-hole is picking URI to finish behind GW? It’s getting annoying.
GW has arguably the best backcourt in the conference and an All League player, so there is significant talent there.
Agree, GW is a team that can't be overlooked.
Bishop may be the best guard in the conference, last season averaged 21.6 pts/5 assists.
(G)Edwards was on the All-Rookie Team (10.5 pts/ 6.5 rebs)
They have size and depth in the frontcourt.
Also, Fr Trey Autry and R-Fr Darren Buchanan (Va. Tech) are 2 players that we had recruited pretty hard.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah I’d be surprised if GW is in the 14th to 15th range , Bishop is a baller
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Huge early season loss for VCU, had foot surgery this past week.
He was a pre-season All-Conference selection.
They already had a thin roster, now only 9 scholarship players to start the season.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Jersey77 wrote: 7 months ago Huge early season loss for VCU, had foot surgery this past week.
He was a pre-season All-Conference selection.
They already had a thin roster, now only 9 scholarship players to start the season.
Yep, tough break. Only thing left to do is kick the arse of whatever remnant of a squad they have left extra hard when they come up on the sked.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

SLU holding their breath on this, their frontcourt could be really thin this season.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Jersey77 wrote: 7 months ago SLU holding their breath on this, their frontcourt could be really thin this season.
Both to be denied
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Here's an article about what mid-majors other than FAU will be the next FAU.

They have one A-10 member on its list! But which one?

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... ch-2023-24

Not VCU, SLU or Dayton! You guessed it...

Loyola Chicago!

Yep 10-21 Loyola Chicago somehow has the goods to shock the world again!

Here's ESPN's reasoning

"Upon joining the Atlantic 10 last year, Loyola lost 16 of its last 20 and posted the program's worst season in a decade. What reason is there to think this state of affairs could change in 2023-24? For one thing, last season's 10-21 (overall) group derived less benefit from accurate shooting than just about any team you'll ever see. Drew Valentine's guys made their 2s -- it just didn't matter because there weren't anywhere near enough attempts."

They made a high percentage of 2's last year...but they didn't shoot enough? So shooting the ball more will make them a final four contender?

🤡

I actually can't believe this article is real lololol
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

The Loyola love is confusing.
GO RAMS
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 7 months ago Here's an article about what mid-majors other than FAU will be the next FAU.

They have one A-10 member on its list! But which one?

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... ch-2023-24

Not VCU, SLU or Dayton! You guessed it...

Loyola Chicago!

Yep 10-21 Loyola Chicago somehow has the goods to shock the world again!

Here's ESPN's reasoning

"Upon joining the Atlantic 10 last year, Loyola lost 16 of its last 20 and posted the program's worst season in a decade. What reason is there to think this state of affairs could change in 2023-24? For one thing, last season's 10-21 (overall) group derived less benefit from accurate shooting than just about any team you'll ever see. Drew Valentine's guys made their 2s -- it just didn't matter because there weren't anywhere near enough attempts."

They made a high percentage of 2's last year...but they didn't shoot enough? So shooting the ball more will make them a final four contender?

🤡

I actually can't believe this article is real lololol
Shit I hope Loyola will be the next FAU. Or VCU. Or Fordham. Anyone at this point.

The A10 has been shit, it’d be tremendous for the conference to have a magical FAU type run.
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Matt Norlander/CBS Sports picks Dayton #25 for 23-24.
https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... 24-season/

#25 Dayton
The Atlantic 10 is due to be better. Dayton will be the biggest reason why. The Flyers went 22-12 last year but didn't have the résumé to warrant NCAA tourney consideration. DaRon Holmes II is back and is among the best mid-major players in the nation. He'll be thriving alongside Malachi Smith, whose stats don't reflect his value to this Dayton squad. A pair of Kobe/Kobys are back: Kobe Elvis and Koby Brea should have UD's offense well-oiled and bumping up from 89th in points per possession to somewhere near the top 50.

Anthony Grant, a salute to you and your family. Grant has recently been open about the loss of his daughter to suicide, and of course something so heavy and tragic would be a factor when it came to leading a program. The players and staff rallied around him, and perhaps some of that supportive energy will be transferable to a big season for UD in 2023-24.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Didn't know if this was previously posted.

George Mason $30M Basketball Practice Facility Expansion
https://gmuhoops.substack.com/p/george- ... basketball

George Mason is getting ready to announce that they are finally adding on to the basketball program’s dedicated practice facility. A $30 million dollar investment is in place to upgrade and expand the facilities coming in Fall of 2024. It will add several new elements as well to help both the men’s and women’s teams compete in the Atlantic 10 and the college basketball recruiting wars. Some of the new features will include:

Additional Practice Court

State of the art Academic Center

Barbershop (pretty damn cool)

Men’s & Women’s Basketball Locker Rooms

Players Lounge

Coaches Offices

Weight Room and Athletic Training Room

Rest and Recovery rooms with Sleep Pods
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Jersey77 wrote: 7 months ago Didn't know if this was previously posted.

George Mason is getting ready to announce that they are finally adding on to the basketball program’s dedicated practice facility. A $30 million dollar investment is in place to upgrade and expand the facilities coming in Fall of 2024. It will add several new elements as well to help both the men’s and women’s teams compete in the Atlantic 10 and the college basketball recruiting wars. Some of the new features will include:

Players Lounge

Coaches Offices

I like the idea of practice facilities but, some of the options added, seems to me, attempt to separate the athletes from the overall student population and I think that is unfortunate.

I was able to get to know a few basketball players as well as other athletes during my years at Rhody because they weren’t insulated - and I am glad I had that opportunity.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Jersey77 wrote: 7 months ago Didn't know if this was previously posted.

Players Lounge

Coaches Offices

So looks like GMU is stepping up. So VCU, URI, SLU, Dayton and GMU need to break apart from the A10 and add maybe 5 teams and form a new Conference. (But you only need 8 teams to be eligible for the NCAAT) Add Richmond and Davidson. That's 7 teams.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 7 months ago The Loyola love is confusing.
Most pundits would rather double down than admit they were wrong
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Borzello has Josh Cohen (UMAss) on the list but missing DaRon Holmes, the pre-season A10 POY.
Really Jeff?

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

From Jon Rothstein.......

Source: Fordham's Japhet Medor has received a waiver from the NCAA and is immediately eligible for the 2023-24 season.
Medor is NOT a two-time transfer, but needed to pass certain academic requirements to be eligible.
Transfer from UTSA who averaged 13.7 PPG last season.

Should be a starter for Fordham
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 7 months ago Borzello has Josh Cohen (UMAss) on the list but missing DaRon Holmes, the pre-season A10 POY.
Really Jeff?

This is not Jeff Borzello's list. He is just forwarding it.

https://www.hoophall.com/news/naismith- ... atch-list/
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 7 months ago
Jersey77 wrote: 7 months ago Borzello has Josh Cohen (UMAss) on the list but missing DaRon Holmes, the pre-season A10 POY.
Really Jeff?

Yeah, still question it though.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 7 months ago
Really Jeff?

In checking on Holmes he has been listed as a Forward all 3 years on Dayton's Roster. So maybe he would you be listed on a list of forwards list.

Usually they have lists like this for point guards, shooting guards, etc.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Really Jeff?

Here is Holmes listed on the Karl Malone Power Forward watch list:

Arizona forward Keshad Johnson was one of 20 players named to the watch list for the Karl Malone Award given to the top power forward in college basketball.

The Naismith Award has been announcing the watch lists for all five of its positional awards this week, with UA's Caleb Love also put on the Jerry West Award (shooting guard) list.

However, UA's Kylan Boswell was not among the 20 players on the Bob Cousy (point guard) list nor was senior Pelle Larsson listed on the Julius Erving (small forward) list. Wildcats center Oumar Ballo appears likely to be named to the watch list for centers on Friday based on his accomplishments last season.
Johnson, a graduate transfer from San Diego State, is scheduled to face four other players on the Malone list this season: Duke's Kyle Filipowski, Alabama's Grant Nelson, Colorado's Tristan da Silva, and UCLA's Adem Bona.

Others named to the Karl Malone watch list Thursday included:

Enrique Freeman, Akron
Coleman Hawkins, Illinois
Oso Ighodaro, Marquette
Julian Reese, Maryland
Trevon Brazile, Arkansas
Norchad Omier, Miami (Fla.)
Fousseyni Traore, BYU
Tolu Smith, Mississippi State
Jevon Porter, Pepperdine
DaRon Holmes II, Dayton
Bryce Hopkins, Providence
Graham Ike, Gonzaga
Alex Karaban, UConn
J’Wan Roberts, Houston
Drew Pember, UNC Asheville

https://tucson.com/sports/college/baske ... c7fb0.html
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

In checking on Holmes he has been listed as a Forward all 3 years on Dayton's Roster. So maybe he would you be listed on a list of forwards list.

He is on the list posted above. Even they on the roster he is listed as a forward, he still plays the 5 on the floor.
Not uncommon on many rosters, even we list both Bilau and Brown as forwards,
Foumena is the only center listed.
None of this really matters though.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

He is on the list posted above. Even they on the roster he is listed as a forward, he still plays the 5 on the floor.
Not uncommon on many rosters, even we list both Bilau and Brown as forwards,
Foumena is the only center listed.
None of this really matters though.
It doesn't matter. Holmes is on a list. How they get on the list and who makes the decision who the Centers, Power Forwards, Small Forwards, Shooting Guards and Point Guards are I don't know. When I watched Dayton in the A10 Tournament last year when they played St Joseph's, Fordham and then VCU Holmes and Toumani Camara both played similarly as big men neither playing the pure center position. They presented as strong a Big Man twosome as any team in the A10. Versus St Joseph's Camara was an absolute beast with 18 rebounds, 17 points with 3-4 3Ps, 4 steals and Holmes had 9 rebounds, 17 points and 4 blocks. Next game vs Fordham Camara 28 points on an amazing 12-13 FGs and 7 rebounds. Holmes 20 points, 6 rebounds and 3 blocks. In the Championship Camara picked up fouls and fouled out playing only 20 total minutes. Credit to VCU and the Coaching Staff led by Mike Rhodes for taking Camara out of his game at such a crucial time. Rhodes Coached brilliantly in the A10 Tournament games from my perspective.

Camara played very well at NBA Portsmouth and is 1st big man off the bench for Portland Trailblazers so far. He is big shoes to fill for somebody at Dayton.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Really Jeff?

It's fair to question it, but you're literally questioning the wrong person/entity
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

St Joe's on espn+ right now
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Summary of Preseason Projections
  • URI is projected highest at #11 by Barttorvik, Almanac and Lindy's
  • URI is #12 by Ken Pom
  • URI is predicted #14 by A10 Coaches, Blue Ribbon and Dayton Writer Dave Jablonski

IMG_0575.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 7 months ago Summary of Preseason Projections
  • URI is #12 by Ken Pom
  • URI is predicted #14 by A10 Coaches, Blue Ribbon and Dayton Writer Dave Jablonski

IMG_0575.png
Also; BustingBrackets, A10Talk, and Jon Rothstein all pick URI to finish #15.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

• URI is #12 by Ken Pom

IMG_0575.png
I'll add them. Thanks. Any
More that you know of?
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

• URI is #12 by Ken Pom

IMG_0575.png
So....is what they're saying here..."expectations are low"? 'cause it kinda seems that way
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

IMG_0629.png

Summary of 10 Preseason A10 Polls
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 7 months ago IMG_0629.png

Not getting much respect by the coaches and media, highest pick #11.
After finishing 14th last season and a new roster, not surprising.
As expected Dayton getting lots of respect.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Or maybe

Dayton is just the tallest midget in the room
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Or maybe

I don't think the Bonnies are far behind, wouldn't even be surprised if they finish 1st and win it.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Or maybe

I don't think the Bonnies are far behind, wouldn't even be surprised if they finish 1st and win it.
Bigger midgets?
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 7 months ago

Or maybe

Bigger midgets?
Is that like jumbo shrimp?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Or maybe

Bigger midgets?
That would be no small feat.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

I like playing the underdog role. Easier to sneak up on teams. We also get the benefit of the easier league schedule. Which is fine this year from a program building perspective but not when we're a more serious at-large threat.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Summary of 10 Preseason Polls

2023-2024 Shows a A10 Conference with some wide prediction variation for a number of teams
  • Loyola Ranges from a high of 2nd (Barttkorvik) to a low of 12th (Rothstein AND A10Talk)
  • Fordham Ranges from a high of 1st (A10Talk) to a low of 10th (KenPom)
  • St Louis Ranges from a high of 6th (A10 Coaches and BlueRibbon) to a low of 12th (Lindy"s)
  • GMU Ranges from a high of 6th (Barttorvik) to a low of 14th (Lindy"s)
  • George Washington Ranges from a high of 6th (Jablonski) to a low of 15th (KenPom and Barttorvik)
  • URI is 15th with a 13.2 Average Ranking. Range of High 11th Barttorvik, Almanac and Linduy's) to Low 15th (Rothstein, Bustin Brackets and A10Talk)
The Green Shaded Rankings 1,2,3,4 represent Teams receiving the Double Bye in the A10 Tournament

Don't recall the A10 ever having such ranking variation and volatility to the Rankings and so much roster turnover.
IMG_0632.png
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Bigger midgets?
That would be no small feat.
Hey, big midgets, big feet(s)...