2023-24 Rotation

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Re: 2023-24 Rotation

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I had a chance to read the blue ribbon breakdown of the A10.

Here are some things that stood out to me about the team overall

Archie said he knew early on that last season's rosters was going to need a major overhaul. It wasn't because of a lack of effort from the players; it was a serious lack of talent. He believes this year's team fits his philosophy a lot more.. Archie said, "we were looking for starters, and we were looking for impact players. In the transfer portal, it was about production that could be duplicated and minutes that could be counted on." He is excited that the transfers he brought in actually have made an impact at the D1 level. One of the biggest improvements he sees is our shooting. He feels like we have a handful of guys that can do various things on the offensive end. The words he used were " much bigger, much stronger, and much more skilled"

1. He anticipates improvements from Weston and Rory.

2. Foumena is expected to have a significant role.

3. They mentioned that House had offers from several high-major programs but chose us to be the top player.

4. Luis has been a leader since his arrival. Expect him to have a prominent role.

5. There isn't much information about Zek, but he's likely to be a starter.

6. As many of us have mentioned several times, don't expect Bilau to return until conference play.

7. We are still waiting for a waiver for Green.

8. Tyson Brown is the most physical player on the roster. He plays with a chip on his shoulder and adds the toughness we lacked last year.

9. Cam will have a role.

10. They mentioned that Connor will need to adjust to this level, but he is the best shooter on the team.

11. Fuchs is expected to make an immediate impact.

12. Many players are competing for spots, and there is no clear starting five yet. Practices have been intense.

Grades:
Backcourt: B+
Frontcourt: C+
Bench:B-
Intangibles: B-

Overall, it's clear that this is a team in which Archie and the staff have a lot more faith in. This is why both myself and others have been preaching that we shouldn't be so down on this roster. We can make some noise in the A10, and I don't see us finishing 14th. Obviously, you need good enough players to compete, and we didn't have that last year, especially after Ant never showed, Bray left, and Bilau went down.. I'm more excited about this year because it's clear that Archie has brought in his type of players who will play his type of basketball. I see us being a team that will out-hustle and out-tough our opponents. I can't wait for this season to start!!!
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 9 months ago I had a chance to read the blue ribbon breakdown of the A10.

Archie said he knew early on that last season's rosters was going to need a major overhaul. It wasn't because of a lack of effort from the players; it was a serious lack of talent. He believes this year's team fits his philosophy a lot more.. Archie said, "we were looking for starters, and we were looking for impact players. In the transfer portal, it was about production that could be duplicated and minutes that could be counted on." He is excited that the transfers he brought in actually have made an impact at the D1 level. One of the biggest improvements he sees is our shooting. He feels like we have a handful of guys that can do various things on the offensive end. The words he used were " much bigger, much stronger, and much more skilled"

3. They mentioned that House had offers from several high-major programs but chose us to be the top player.

4. Luis has been a leader since his arrival. Expect him to have a prominent role.

6. As many of us have mentioned several times, don't expect Bilau to return until conference play.

8. Tyson Brown is the most physical player on the roster. He plays with a chip on his shoulder and adds the toughness we lacked last year.

9. Cam will have a role.

10. They mentioned that Connor will need to adjust to this level, but he is the best shooter on the team.

12. Many players are competing for spots, and there is no clear starting five yet. Practices have been intense.

Grades:

Overall, it's clear that this is a team in which Archie and the staff have a lot more faith in. This is why both myself and others have been preaching that we shouldn't be so down on this roster. We can make some noise in the A10, and I don't see us finishing 14th. Obviously, you need good enough players to compete, and we didn't have that last year, especially after Ant never showed, Bray left, and Bilau went down.. I'm more excited about this year because it's clear that Archie has brought in his type of players who will play his type of basketball. I see us being a team that will out-hustle and out-tough our opponents. I can't wait for this season to start!!!
Yeah Stevey, I also feel we will be better than 14.
I am still thinking 8-12, hopefully closer to the middle.
Don't think many here are down on our roster, I just feel we are still a year away, but we should be very competitive this season.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 9 months ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 9 months ago Connor definitely has the look of a gut that needs some serious strength and conditioning work until he's able to contribute. I'd guess he's behind the 8-ball on defense especially.

I think we can count on Kortright to be a good steady A-10 PG. He's athletic enough and he's played well against A-10 level comp before. If he can be more efficient with his shot he maybe be all league. I'm interested in seeing is how much we get out of Ways and Cam. Ways should have the leg up with his year in juco, but Cam doesn't look far off physically. If either of them can at least knock down their open threes and not have a bunch of crazy stupid turnovers then that's a huge boost.

Any updates on Green's waiver? Like did we send it in immediately? Don't want the NCAA to keep us waiting into the season like they like to do.
I heard we may have good news on green a few weeks ago and then crickets…

Yeah, the day after that, I heard that we wouldn't be hearing anything for a few weeks...
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

BruceW wrote: 9 months ago Hey guys, Bruce here. Been away for a while as I had an unexpected surgery that left me completely paralyzed from the waist down. That was done in April and fortunately I am some what better now as I can stand but can not walk. Been living in rehab hospitals since April.
Trying to catch up some on this year’s edition. Concerning the rotation there has been said about many front court players. Between dubsky estevez allen & wright whom would get the most to least minutes. Thank you.
Welcome back, BW! Hoping and praying for your full recovery.

I haven’t watched much video but have watched some on Cam and Dubs. I think Cam could work his way into steady playing time by mid-season due to his build and once he adjusts to the speed of the college game.

As for Dubs, I love his jump shot but last I saw of him, he just isn’t there physically yet to contribute regularly this season. I still like his potential, however.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Jersey77 wrote: 9 months ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 9 months ago I had a chance to read the blue ribbon breakdown of the A10.

9. Cam will have a role.

Grades:

Don't think many here are down on our roster, I just feel we are still a year away, but we should be very competitive this season.
Year away from what? Year away from a tourney bid, ok. I can dig that. This team needs to be top half A10 this year. Period. If they can’t do that we have little shot of making the tourney next year, and then most of the impact guys (even if they stay for next year) will have graduated. The time to start winning is now. Weak OOC schedule, rack up some wins get a groove going with these “better players” and hit the A10 hard.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rhodylaw wrote: 9 months ago

9. Cam will have a role.

Grades:

Year away from what? Year away from a tourney bid, ok. I can dig that. This team needs to be top half A10 this year. Period. If they can’t do that we have little shot of making the tourney next year, and then most of the impact guys (even if they stay for next year) will have graduated. The time to start winning is now. Weak OOC schedule, rack up some wins get a groove going with these “better players” and hit the A10 hard.
A year away from being a conference contender and a top 5 A10 team.
Of course, I wish we can finish in the top half this season (1-7), but again I would be pleasantly surprised if that happens.
I still go with my previous thoughts that year 4 (maybe 5) with Archie we will go "Dancing".
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

9. Cam will have a role.

Grades:

Really good synopsis , best breakdown I have seen in awhile
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Of course, I wish we can finish in the top half this season (1-7), but again I would be pleasantly surprised if that happens.
I still go with my previous thoughts that year 4 (maybe 5) with Archie we will go "Dancing".
By the second half to the season, if these players are not good enough to make it into the top half of what is likely a weak A10 there is zero shot the same players make the tourney next season or the season after. Year 4 and 5 become another rebuild then.

It starts now. They need to be top half A10 this year. I am not saying they will be, but that is my opinion of where they need to be.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

By the second half to the season, if these players are not good enough to make it into the top half of what is likely a weak A10 there is zero shot the same players make the tourney next season or the season after. Year 4 and 5 become another rebuild then.

It starts now. They need to be top half A10 this year. I am not saying they will be, but that is my opinion of where they need to be.
Both the Bonnie’s and St. Joe’s finished in the bottom half of the A10 in 22-23 and are considered conference contenders this season with their returning core players.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

None of these projections take into account the addition-by-subtraction of replacing guys, who we won't mention, who were soo sloppy with the ball it was difficult to watch most of the time.

I don't think Archie is the kind of coach that likes sloppy out of control play, so he must be relieved as just about anybody to be rid of many of those players ---- he just can't say so, so I'll say it for him.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Not sure where to put this but....I like that the players are going around campus talking to fellow students to try and drum up some interest and excitement.....
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I’m really looking forward to seeing this group play.
Slava Ukraini!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 9 months ago Not sure where to put this but....I like that the players are going around campus talking to fellow students to try and drum up some interest and excitement.....
Very nice that they are doing this and good PR.
But the best way to drum up interest and excitement is to win.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

How do you argue with a guy who is Always wRight?
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

jcru wrote: 9 months ago How do you argue with a guy who is Always wRight?
with confidence?
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Billyboy78 wrote: 9 months ago Not sure where to put this but....I like that the players are going around campus talking to fellow students to try and drum up some interest and excitement.....
I had just seen this on IG , very good stuff
rhodyram22
ARD

Unread post by rhodyram22 »

reef wrote: 9 months ago
I had just seen this on IG , very good stuff
This is great content. I remember people talking here about the student engagement and how poor it was last season. This is definitely a good start, and hopefully it continues throughout the season.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Well, you need an extrovert to make that happen. Who better than that guy?
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Towards the end, he asks that girl, "are you going to go to the game?" And she gives him the once-over, "I will now."

lol. Me thinks someone might be trying to break Odom's on-campus single season record.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

The Almanac was released today. This breakdown of our team is much better than Blue Ribbon. Some great quotes from Archie!

I like this one..
"Anytime you get to a new place, the starting point — no matter how good you think you’ll be — you’re going to struggle through it. And at the beginning, you truly just don’t know a lot.”," admitted Archie Miller.

Archie acknowledged what we already knew: we lacked the talent to execute his system, especially in our frontcourt, which was an embarrassment. He mentioned that our offense would significantly improve with better shooting, smarter players, and stronger players

He elaborated..“We didn’t have the overall team depth or offensive firepower inside last year to execute properly,” Miller said. “We need to improve shooting, have good guards — but we also need to be able to play inside out. We had no post presence last year. Opponents didn’t have to worry about it, so we became one-dimensional in the way we could play.."

Archie also said, "The sheer size and strength weren’t there last year,” said Miller. “We needed to get bigger and stronger, and we addressed that. We upgraded our size across the board — 1 through 5, nobody is below 6-3 and nobody is below 180 pounds that will play.."

Regarding the players, Archie highlighted Kortright as the best passer on the team and believed that Luis could lead the A10 in assists!!

Archie had high praise for Zek, stating that he could defend positions 1 through 4, and that he could potentially become an All-A10 player in the future.

He also had positive words for House, describing him as a bullet in transition and a player who could succeed at any level.

I was already excited about Fuchs, but this gets me so amped up!! "He could be Freshman of the Year if things go well. He’s ready physically and is mobile,” said Miller. “We’ll play him all over and force-feed him."

Archie noted that Tyson Brown has been the most improved player since May. Apparently, he just keeps getting better.

While Foumena should have a role, Brown's improvement seemed to have earned him a spot over Foumena.

Archie is still very high on Weston, acknowledging that he has experienced ups and downs. He emphasized the need for Weston to become more consistent for the team to make significant progress. Archie said that the game has slowed down for Weston, and he's been coming into practice more prepared, which is a positive sign.

Rory benefited from playing over the summer, and his shooting had looked impressive in practice.

Given the depth in the frontcourt, Archie aims to ease Bilau into the lineup. No rush..

Among the freshmen, Archie expects Cam to make the most immediate impact. Cam is behind Always but has performed well enough to earn minutes.

Archie characterized Always Wright as a jack of all trades and compared him to Landrey Shamet!!! The coaching staff had been impressed by Always' leadership from the moment he joined the team, and he has the strongest work ethic on the team. We may have gotten a steal with this kid.

This is the one part that worries me...
Regarding the "X-FACTOR" question from the Almanac, Archie said it's David Green. He believes that Green would have a "massive impact."

Archie said "He’s that complementary power forward that can stretch the floor. We’re giving him more freedom this year to play, and he’s been more capable than we imagined. He’s a very good rebounder and defender and is the key ingredient to what we’re doing.”

I really hope Green can play because it sounds like he's really standing out at practice.

Overall I think this gives us a much better idea of what Archie thinks about this team. We are getting close!! Go Rhody!!
Last edited by steveystuds06 8 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

steveystuds06 wrote: 8 months ago The Almanac was released today. This breakdown of our team is much better than Blue Ribbon. Some great quotes from Archie!

I like this one..
"Anytime you get to a new place, the starting point — no matter how good you think you’ll be — you’re going to struggle through it. And at the beginning, you truly just don’t know a lot.”," admitted Archie Miller.

Archie acknowledged what we already knew: we lacked the talent to execute his system, especially in our frontcourt, which was an embarrassment. He mentioned that our offense would significantly improve with better shooting, smarter players, and stronger players

He elaborated..“We didn’t have the overall team depth or offensive firepower inside last year to execute properly,” Miller said. “We need to improve shooting, have good guards — but we also need to be able to play inside out. We had no post presence last year. Opponents didn’t have to worry about it, so we became one-dimensional in the way we could play.."

Archie also said, "The sheer size and strength weren’t there last year,” said Miller. “We needed to get bigger and stronger, and we addressed that. We upgraded our size across the board — 1 through 5, nobody is below 6-3 and nobody is below 180 pounds that will play.."

Regarding the players, Archie highlighted Kortright as the best passer on the team and believed that Luis could lead the A10 in assists!!

Archie had high praise for Zek, stating that he could defend positions 1 through 4, and that he could potentially become an All-A10 player in the future.

He also had positive words for House, describing him as a bullet in transition and a player who could succeed at any level.

I was already excited about Fuchs, but this gets me so amped up!! "He could be Freshman of the Year if things go well. He's ready physically and is mobile. We'll play him all over and give him plenty of opportunities."

Archie noted that Tyson Brown has been the most improved player since May. Apparently, he just keeps getting better.

While Foumena should have a role, Brown's improvement seemed to have earned him a spot over Foumena.

Archie is still very high on Weston, acknowledging that he has experienced ups and downs. He emphasized the need for Weston to become more consistent for the team to make significant progress. Archie said that the game has slowed down for Weston, and he's been coming into practice more prepared, which is a positive sign.

Rory benefited from playing over the summer, and his shooting had looked impressive in practice.

Given the depth in the frontcourt, Archie aims to ease Bilau into the lineup. No rush..

Among the freshmen, Archie expects Cam to make the most immediate impact. Cam is behind Always but has performed well enough to earn minutes.

Archie characterized Always Wright as a jack of all trades and compared him to Landrey Shamet!!! The coaching staff had been impressed by Always' leadership from the moment he joined the team, and he has the strongest work ethic on the team. We may have gotten a steal with this kid.

Regarding the "X-FACTOR" question from the Almanac, Archie said it's David Green. He believes that Green would have a "massive impact."

Archie said "He’s that complementary power forward that can stretch the floor. We’re giving him more freedom this year to play, and he’s been more capable than we imagined. He’s a very good rebounder and defender and is the key ingredient to what we’re doing.”

I really hope Green can play because it sounds like he's really standing out at practice.

Overall I think this gives us a much better idea of what Archie thinks about this team. We are getting close!! Go Rhody!!
Thanks Stevey for posting this, appreciate you taking the time.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Jersey77 wrote: 8 months ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 8 months ago The Almanac was released today. This breakdown of our team is much better than Blue Ribbon. Some great quotes from Archie!

I like this one..

I was already excited about Fuchs, but this gets me so amped up!! "He could be Freshman of the Year if things go well. He's ready physically and is mobile. We'll play him all over and give him plenty of opportunities."

I 2nd that, Jersey! Excellent intel on the team. Very much appreciated, Stevey.

I am really getting amped up and looking forward to watching this team play and evolve. Excited about Cam and Always as well as House and now, Kortright after the comments by Archie. And, also the fact that we are more talented and deeper in the front court is a big boost to our prospects this season.

Let’s gooooooooo
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 8 months ago

I like this one..

I am really getting amped up and looking forward to watching this team play and evolve. Excited about Cam and Always as well as House and now, Kortright after the comments by Archie. And, also the fact that we are more talented and deeper in the front court is a big boost to our prospects this season.

Let’s gooooooooo
Me too very excited and we are going to prove those naysayers wrong , keep picking us 14th !
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

reef wrote: 8 months ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 8 months ago

Let’s gooooooooo
Me too very excited and we are going to prove those naysayers wrong , keep picking us 14th !

Archie to the rest of the A10….

“I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass.” - They Live reference.

Let’s get this show on the road!
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I like this one..

I was already excited about Fuchs, but this gets me so amped up!! "He could be Freshman of the Year if things go well. He’s ready physically and is mobile,” said Miller. “We’ll play him all over and force-feed him."

How f***ing dare you post something optimistic and encouraging!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I like this one..

Stevey,
Why does this worry you? Sounds like he's impressed by Green
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

ramster wrote: 8 months ago

I like this one..

Stevey,
Because he likely won’t get a waiver and can’t play this year
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

KingstonLane wrote: 8 months ago

I like this one..

Stevey,
I thought the same but was curious from Stevey.
And if that's the case, what from last night did Archie say about the possibilities of Green getting a waiver for this year? Seems like a lot of positives from the HC to say about a player IF the HC did not believe Green would be playing this season. Why say so much if chances were nil (pardon the pun).
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

If Green isn't eligible and Fuchs is as good as suggested maybe the starting 5 is:
1. Kortright
2. House
3. Zek
4. Fuchs
5. Brown

Or possibly go small moving Fuchs to the 5, Zek to the 4, and Weston at the 3.

I had gotten the impression that Archie doesn't throw out superlatives about the players or team loosely.
So, if he has been quoted as saying several times that Fuchs will be one of the top freshmen in the entire country, then I take that to mean he will be a blue-chipper or a one and done type of player.
Also, the high accolades about Kortright, House, and Zek.

With all this being said maybe I am being too cautious or guarded with my early prediction.
Maybe Blue Man is correct in saying that we should finish in the top 6 A10 and possibly contend this season.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Shades of 1967. “We’ll win more than we lose.”

Who is as old as me and remembers who originally made that statement?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

KevanBoyles wrote: 8 months ago Shades of 1967. “We’ll win more than we lose.”

Dick Williams
The Impossible Dream

Carl Yastrzemski had such an incredible year. Jim Lonborg.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Jersey77 wrote: 8 months ago If Green isn't eligible and Fuchs is as good as suggested maybe the starting 5 is:
1. Kortright
2. House
3. Zek
4. Fuchs
5. Brown

I had gotten the impression that Archie doesn't throw out superlatives about the players or team loosely.
So, if he has been quoted as saying several times that Fuchs will be one of the top freshmen in the entire country, then I take that to mean he will be a blue-chipper or a one and done type of player.

With all this being said maybe I am being too cautious or guarded with my early prediction.
Maybe Blue Man is correct in saying that we should finish in the top 6 A10 and possibly contend this season.
I do also find it odd how much hype he’s putting behind Fuchs. Maybe it’s just at a point of trying to create excitement around the program, but I live by the phrase underpromise and over deliver

Really setting the bar high here for Fuch’s sake. I just can’t envision a world in which he’s truly one of the best freshmen in the country, but I’d love to be wrong.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

KevanBoyles wrote: 8 months ago Shades of 1967. “We’ll win more than we lose.”

Dick Williams
The Impossible Dream

Carl Yastrzemski had such an incredible year. Jim Lonborg.
Bingo!!!! Thanks Ramster!!!
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Jersey77 wrote: 8 months ago If Green isn't eligible and Fuchs is as good as suggested maybe the starting 5 is:
1. Kortright
2. House
3. Zek
4. Fuchs
5. Brown

I do also find it odd how much hype he’s putting behind Fuchs. Maybe it’s just at a point of trying to create excitement around the program, but I live by the phrase underpromise and over deliver

Really setting the bar high here for Fuch’s sake. I just can’t envision a world in which he’s truly one of the best freshmen in the country, but I’d love to be wrong.
I've read possible A-10 Rookie Team and ROY for Fuchs. I'm not sure that is equal to "one of the best freshman in the country," a "blue-chipper," or one and done." At least, that's not the way I see it.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Possible all-rookie is still a pretty high bar. I’d be pleased with that.
Slava Ukraini!
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Rhody74 wrote: 8 months ago Possible all-rookie is still a pretty high bar. I’d be pleased with that.
Me too!!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

KevanBoyles wrote: 8 months ago
1. Kortright
2. House
3. Zek
4. Fuchs
5. Brown

I've read possible A-10 Rookie Team and ROY for Fuchs. I'm not sure that is equal to "one of the best freshman in the country," a "blue-chipper," or one and done." At least, that's not the way I see it.
I don't really see it either, but according to him being quoted by one of our posters he said one of the best freshmen in the country. Which of course is much different than All-A10 Rookie team.
Once I read those, I said WOW, this recruit must have really fell through the cracks, because he was very much under the radar.
Last edited by Jersey77 8 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Stevey,
And if that's the case, what from last night did Archie say about the possibilities of Green getting a waiver for this year? Seems like a lot of positives from the HC to say about a player IF the HC did not believe Green would be playing this season. Why say so much if chances were nil (pardon the pun).
Yes I’m worried that he won’t get a waiver. This team needs all the help it can get and it sounds like Green is standing out in practice. I think the staff is waiting and they truly don’t know if Green is playing.

Jersey, regarding Fuchs I think Archie is talking about his role more than anything. It’s clear that he’s going to be a focal point and will play a lot of minutes and have a lot of opportunities. We should remember that Archie Miller is an exceptional coach. Both Woodward and KJ are high-major assistants, and I think Archie is a high-major coach. Thus, this staff has the potential to scout, recruit, and secure a legitimate A10 freshman Player of the Year candidate. Some seem surprised by the possibility of having such a stud freshman. I expect Fuchs to be one of the better freshman in the A10 and on the All A10 team freshman team if he stays healthy. As Archie said in the article IF everything goes well he COULD be freshman of the year. I don’t think he thinks he’s a one and done player.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

steveystuds06 wrote: 8 months ago

Yes I’m worried that he won’t get a waiver. This team needs all the help it can get and it sounds like Green is standing out in practice. I think the staff is waiting and they truly don’t know if Green is playing.

Jersey, regarding Fuchs I think Archie is talking about his role more than anything. It’s clear that he’s going to be a focal point and will play a lot of minutes and have a lot of opportunities. We should remember that Archie Miller is an exceptional coach. Both Woodward and KJ are high-major assistants, and I think Archie is a high-major coach. Thus, this staff has the potential to scout, recruit, and secure a legitimate A10 freshman Player of the Year candidate. Some seem surprised by the possibility of having such a stud freshman. I expect Fuchs to be one of the better freshman in the A10 and on the All A10 team freshman team if he stays healthy. As Archie said in the article IF everything goes well he COULD be freshman of the year. I don’t think he thinks he’s a one and done player.
Well yeah Stevey that I can understand and makes more sense.
But when someone says one of the best in the country, that takes it to a whole different level.

Either way, if he is a contributor and makes an impact here as a freshman, I will be thrilled.

As far as Green goes, I am counting him out of the equation until his waiver gets approved.
The NCAA made it very clear through this whole process that they will make it much more difficult on multi-transfers.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

steveystuds06 wrote: 8 months ago

Well yeah Stevey that I can understand and makes more sense.
But when someone says one of the best in the country, that takes it to a whole different level.

Either way, if he is a contributor and makes an impact here as a freshman, I will be thrilled.

As far as Green goes, I am counting him out of the equation until his waiver gets approved.
The NCAA made it very clear through this whole process that they will make it much more difficult on multi-transfers.
I don't think he's playing eitherf. Do they ever get this close to the season and decide "yes"?
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Grade the player assessment comments?

1. Regarding the players, Archie highlighted Kortright as the best passer on the team and believed that Luis could lead the A10 in assists!!

Not impossible. Seemed like a prolific passer at Quinnipiac. Of course, assists rely on the people you are passing to, closing the deal. Possibly top-5 in the conference in assists? Could happen.

2. Archie had high praise for Zek, stating that he could defend positions 1 through 4, and that he could potentially become an All-A10 player in the future.

There are four teams of All A-10 players, if you include the All Defensive team, so I think this comment could pan out. Would not shock anyone.

3. He also had positive words for House, describing him as a bullet in transition and a player who could succeed at any level.

Kind of a throw away comment, but sure, we expect good things from House. Absolutely.

4. I was already excited about Fuchs, but this gets me so amped up!! "He could be Freshman of the Year if things go well. He’s ready physically and is mobile,” said Miller. “We’ll play him all over and force-feed him."

Eh... That would be amazing if true, but that is really going to be tough to walk back later on, if it doesn't pan out. I guess we know which guy people are going to be looking at with a lot of interest, at least early on.

5. Archie noted that Tyson Brown has been the most improved player since May. Apparently, he just keeps getting better.

Yeah, that works. We don't know what his baseline was, but he had good JUCO stats, was highly rated at that level, and could certainly be improving daily. Sure.

6. While Foumena should have a role, Brown's improvement seemed to have earned him a spot over Foumena.

Not overly surprised with this.

7. Archie is still very high on Weston, acknowledging that he has experienced ups and downs. He emphasized the need for Weston to become more consistent for the team to make significant progress. Archie said that the game has slowed down for Weston, and he's been coming into practice more prepared, which is a positive sign.

Weston being engaged... is a positive sign. For him, for the team. Hopefully that continues.

8. Rory benefited from playing over the summer, and his shooting had looked impressive in practice.

Rory has a role, he's a role player, I don't think that has changed very much over time, we saw him play in the Euro league. He can get hot, certainly, or he can be a non factor. His problem is not enthusiasm, it's playing in control, and self awareness. Taking care of the ball, turnovers, etc. He's in there to shoot the ball from the three point line, not to be the second coming.

9. Given the depth in the frontcourt, Archie aims to ease Bilau into the lineup. No rush..

10. Among the freshmen, Archie expects Cam to make the most immediate impact. Cam is behind Always but has performed well enough to earn minutes.

11. Archie characterized Always Wright as a jack of all trades and compared him to Landrey Shamet!!! The coaching staff had been impressed by Always' leadership from the moment he joined the team, and he has the strongest work ethic on the team. We may have gotten a steal with this kid.

Sounds like a wild card guy. It's tough to gauge what kind of impact he'll have.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

In my limited 1 practice viewing Green was a difference maker. If you knew nothing and showed up to that practice just by his presence and assertiveness you would walk away thinking he is an important piece. That sucks tho bc i tend to agree with Jersey that he prob doesn’t get clearer. My only BUT to that is why would Archie keep talking him up if he was going to be in street clothes.

Always could be a guy who has a typical FR year where he has moments or games of brilliance against certain matchups but is invisible or lightly used in others. He has high IQ on the floor and is a team first facilitator type. I think he will have his moments. Same for Cam tho he’s less dynamic but prob more steady in terms of highs and lows.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 8 months ago In my limited 1 practice viewing Green was a difference maker. If you knew nothing and showed up to that practice just by his presence and assertiveness you would walk away thinking he is an important piece. That sucks tho bc i tend to agree with Jersey that he prob doesn’t get clearer. My only BUT to that is why would Archie keep talking him up if he was going to be in street clothes.

Always could be a guy who has a typical FR year where he has moments or games of brilliance against certain matchups but is invisible or lightly used in others. He has high IQ on the floor and is a team first facilitator type. I think he will have his moments. Same for Cam tho he’s less dynamic but prob more steady in terms of highs and lows.
I ma be mistaken but isn't Always a sophomore? JUCO would've been his freshman year.
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 8 months ago
bigappleram wrote: 8 months ago In my limited 1 practice viewing Green was a difference maker. If you knew nothing and showed up to that practice just by his presence and assertiveness you would walk away thinking he is an important piece. That sucks tho bc i tend to agree with Jersey that he prob doesn’t get clearer. My only BUT to that is why would Archie keep talking him up if he was going to be in street clothes.

I ma be mistaken but isn't Always a sophomore? JUCO would've been his freshman year.
He definitely is a sophomore with 3 years of eligibility left.
But being his 1st year of Div.1, his play may resemble that of a freshman.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Cue the Michael corleone line as it relates to Green

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram wrote: 8 months ago Cue the Michael corleone line as it relates to Green

Jersey77 made the George Mason Board on this one:

4C0CC8D3-0FFF-4075-9A0C-CD52C2D7BF46.jpeg

Article talks about Newton's loss of his father. He missed a month of the season. District Heights Maryland is relatively close to George Mason.

https://www.ocolly.com/sports/newton-le ... 64ac5.html

E1A15EB9-2976-466A-A2BF-9D36B7E32361.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ramster 8 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 8 months ago Cue the Michael corleone line as it relates to Green

9BC8C9C5-F578-4E9A-9A86-0B948EBD4BEB.jpeg
That's funny Ramster, thanks for pointing it out.
Like I said early on, Newton would have the best shot at getting a waiver in the A10.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Like I said early on, Newton would have the best shot at getting a waiver in the A10.

Yep. I just visited GM board to check reaction

Read this from Syracuse Board when he lost his dad. Tough loss. He was the youngest child.

https://syracusefan.com/threads/ot-pray ... ly.172189/
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Do we have any idea on the timeline of the waiver decision on Green ?? I would assume we would hear by the end of October??
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Yep. I just visited GM board to check reaction

Read this from Syracuse Board when he lost his dad. Tough loss. He was the youngest child.

https://syracusefan.com/threads/ot-pray ... ly.172189/
Thanks for sharing Ramster.
Feel bad for the young man, glad he got the waiver, not surprised.