2023 Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Re: 2023 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago Cooley will exit Providence with FOUR straight losses to end his Friars tenure.

Overated
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Big Ed is about to get overpaid bc Georgetown will have to do that and for Cooley the optics require it. His postseason record is something like 3-6 and he’s about to be paid like Self and more than Few. ‘Merica
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I'm hearing it's done
$7 million per year
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago I'm hearing it's done
$7 million per year
Congrats, Eddy!
Think he'll drive his Bentley around DC?
Rhody09
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhody09 »

$7 million per year
LMAO what a waste of money
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

DC is excellent especially if you’re making big dough. Cooley should make that move. He’ll be very successful at Georgetown IMHO.
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody09 wrote: 1 year ago
$7 million per year
The waste of money was giving the HC job to Patrick Ewing when he had zero HC experience. Ewing set the Georgetown program back a lot.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

$7 million per year
Not really....I mean, that's gonna buy a lot of consternation in some places and schadenfreude in others....so, not a total waste :lol:
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
$7 million per year
The waste of money was giving the HC job to Patrick Ewing when he had zero HC experience. Ewing set the Georgetown program back a lot.
And their balance sheet!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

McRam wrote: 1 year ago
ramster wrote: 1 year ago

And their balance sheet!
Pretty sure they print money there, probably no big deal
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Big Ed is about to get overpaid bc Georgetown will have to do that and for Cooley the optics require it. His postseason record is something like 3-6 and he’s about to be paid like Self and more than Few. ‘Merica
USC
SOUTH DAKOTA STATE
RICHMOND

bahahahaha

OVERATED
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

hrstrat57 wrote: 1 year ago DC is excellent especially if you’re making big dough. Cooley should make that move. He’ll be very successful at Georgetown IMHO.
You mean win a 1st round game ?
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Please send Eddie Cooley to Gtown ASAP baby !!
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Fwiw

He also had Hurley going to Georgetown when Ewing was hired.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

steviep123 wrote: 1 year ago Fwiw

He also had Hurley going to Georgetown when Ewing was hired.
Gotta wait for Goodman Norlander Rothstein to tweet it to know it’s official.

(Or GoLocalProv)
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Fanta is the big east guy he might get it.
Guaranteed every one of those guys is working their contacts to break it.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

My contacts are pretty much all saying he's gone, 'cept for one. :lol:
steviep123
Sly Williams

Here’s the thing. If Cooley is their slightly better version of Baron do we really want him to go? They may end up with someone better.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

steviep123 wrote: 1 year ago Here’s the thing. If Cooley is their slightly better version of Baron do we really want him to go? They may end up with someone better.
I agree with you but Cooley leaving providence for Georgetown is peak content as a URI fan.

Their stupid fan base who couldn’t even get into their second tier catholic school THINK they are on par with the georgetowns of the world. This destroys their brains
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

steviep123 wrote: 1 year ago Here’s the thing. If Cooley is their slightly better version of Baron do we really want him to go? They may end up with someone better.
Been thinking this for the last week.
Go Rhody
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

I won’t be happy if they end up with Billy D, that’s for sure. I would rather see Cooley stay in that case.

Any other realistic possibilities that are worse ?
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Grasso to PC!! Start pushing it.
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Grasso to PC!! Start pushing it.
They deserve each other
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago Cooley will exit Providence with FOUR straight losses to end his Friars tenure.
Wins in March 2023
Rhode Island Rams: 1
Providence Friars: 0
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago

I won’t be happy if they end up with Billy D, that’s for sure. I would rather see Cooley stay in that case.

Donavan may be cut from the same cloth as Roy/Coach K/Wright/Boeheim, especially being out of college for a while
Now. Transfer Portal, NIL, etc could scare him off.
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Donovan makes 6mm a year. If he comes back to college it’s going to be a blue blood or big program. Have heard Texas if it comes open but again he’s an employed NBA coach.

The delusion of the Friar fans on full effect this week as it’s gone from Ed would never leave bc he’d be hated to we can get Billy Donovan from the bulls. Brad Stevens also being thrown around.

Realistic people they could reach out to: Chris Mack, Micah Shrewsberry.
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Not to mention they have an extremely green AD, that’s not ideal for them
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago

That’s what I was thinking as long as it’s not Billy D , then most likely the hire will be worse than Cooley
steviep123
Sly Williams

Bleed Keaney Blue!

steviep123
Sly Williams

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Donovan makes 6mm a year. If he comes back to college it’s going to be a blue blood or big program. Have heard Texas if it comes open but again he’s an employed NBA coach.

The delusion of the Friar fans on full effect this week as it’s gone from Ed would never leave bc he’d be hated to we can get Billy Donovan from the bulls. Brad Stevens also being thrown around.

Realistic people they could reach out to: Chris Mack, Micah Shrewsberry.
Supposedly Penn State is opening the brink’s vault to keep Shrewsbury. So he’s likely off the table. But it would be a coup.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

steviep123
Sly Williams

I guess what a difference 10 months makes though you never know what is going on in someone’s mind

Bleed Keaney Blue!

bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

steviep123 wrote: 1 year ago I guess what a difference 10 months makes though you never know what is going on in someone’s mind

That last part Steve. You can’t project someone else’s perspective and desires. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. One man’s trash is another man’s treasure. All apply here. “Everyone will hate him” was 1 of the worst reasons given for why he won’t leave. 5-6mm dollars will make you not care much about what Joe from North Providence thinks of you.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

If Cooley goes to Georgetown, I hope he fails miserably, and they continue to suck.
As for PC, I also hope they suck and will always continue to root against them.
But there will be interesting drama when he comes back to coach against the Friars.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

If Cooley goes to Gtown I hope he quickly hops PC in the BE pecking order and causes irreparable mental duress to their delusional fanbase. I hope Pitino does the same at SJU. And I hope Grasso leads PC back to Keno land :)
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago If Cooley goes to Georgetown, I hope he fails miserably, and they continue to suck.
As for PC, I also hope they suck and will always continue to root against them.
But there will be interesting drama when he comes back to coach against the Friars.
I’ll still hate PC whoever the coach is (if he leaves), but my hatred may have actually been more towards Cooley.

Always struck me as pompous, fake, a try hard, phony, always says the right things type of guy.
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Really? The only likable thing about that program was Ed.
Majority of their fans are amongst the most ignorant and deplorable you can find on Twitter. I’ll say this if Ed leaves watch the true colors that come out of that fan base. It’s going to be real ugly. Appointment TV!!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Really? The only likable thing about that program was Ed.
Majority of their fans are amongst the most ignorant and deplorable you can find on Twitter. I’ll say this if Ed leaves watch the true colors that come out of that fan base. It’s going to be real ugly. Appointment TV!!
Oh the fans suck too, don’t get me wrong.

Over the years I’ve liked a few of there players too, I loved Watson the last few seasons.

Plenty of my buddies already saying “eh he can go, f him, he’s actually not that good, can’t win in the tourney, blah blah blah”

I’m sure the majority of fans will be like that.
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Really? The only likable thing about that program was Ed.
Oh the fans suck too, don’t get me wrong.

Over the years I’ve liked a few of there players too, I loved Watson the last few seasons.

Plenty of my buddies already saying “eh he can go, f him, he’s actually not that good, can’t win in the tourney, blah blah blah”

I’m sure the majority of fans will be like that.
For sure it will go from he’s the prince of providence to he’s trash in a New York minute.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

There was nothing likeable the way he dissed us.

But to leave his so-called dream school from his hometown after 12 years to go to a rival school in the same conference for a some extra $, is a weak move. It isn't like he wasn't compensated well at PC and they were probably willing to ante up more.
If he left for a P5 school, I could understand that.

I don't care at all about PC, but don't like that move by any coach.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Eh I saw that as him trolling us in the spirit of the rivalry actually. And it worked. I don’t understand why it’s a weak move if he idolized JT and wants to test himself on a bigger stage.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
There was nothing likeable the way he dissed us.

But to leave his so-called dream school from his hometown after 12 years to go to a rival school in the same conference for a some extra $, is a weak move. It isn't like he wasn't compensated well at PC and they were probably willing to ante up more.
If he left for a P5 school, I could understand that.

I could care less about PC, but don't like that move by any coach.

Eh I mean we all “care” about PC. Let’s be honest.

They’re our rival.

We talk about them more than any other team on this board besides Rhody.

We want them to be terrible every season. We care.

BC, Seton Hall, Rutgers, etc are teams we don’t care about.
Last edited by Rhody15 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Go Rhody
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Eh I saw that as him trolling us in the spirit of the rivalry actually. And it worked. I don’t understand why it’s a weak move if he idolized JT and wants to test himself on a bigger stage.
It is the same conference; he could build his own legacy, not follow in someone else's footsteps.
Again weak move, and $ trump everything.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Eh I saw that as him trolling us in the spirit of the rivalry actually. And it worked. I don’t understand why it’s a weak move if he idolized JT and wants to test himself on a bigger stage.
It is the same conference; he could build his own legacy, not follow in someone else's footsteps.
He wants to compete for a national title. He feels Gtown can do that more than PC can. Maybe he wants to challenge himself on a bigger stage. He has it easy at PC so saying this is weak move is bit off to me. He will be choosing more pressure, more scrutiny and getting outside the bubble of where he grew up and can do no wrong. He’s betting on himself.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

So was it weak for Dan to follow Calhoun’s legacy instead of creating his own in Kingston?
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

steviep123 wrote: 1 year ago
Wow. Even Big East Friar Fan boy little Kevie thinks he is gone.
Last edited by RF1 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago
So was it weak for Dan to follow Calhoun’s legacy instead of creating his own in Kingston?
Totally different because that was to a higher conference on a much bigger stage with a significant increase. Also not to a rival team in the same conference.
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Totally different because that was to a higher conference on a much bigger stage with a significant increase. Also not to a rival team in the same conference.
At the time UCONN was in the American, which at the time was equal with the A10 (ish).
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rhodysurf wrote: 1 year ago

At the time UCONN was in the American, which at the time was equal with the A10 (ish).
It was still UConn, a national brand with multiple championships.

There was also talk of them joining the Big East soon enough.
Go Rhody
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Definitely not a weak move for Cooley that’s a bad bad take.

GT resurgence will be top hoops story with all the glory to Cooley. FriarTown will suffer but the move is a no brainer - add in more dough it’s bye bye!
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!