URI 2023 Transfers - Who Will Stay and Who Will Go?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Re: URI 2023 Transfers - Who Will Stay and Who Will Go?

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

Sucks if we lose Ish. Would love to see him for another year with an improved supporting cast. Think we could do some damage in the a10 with him as our leader.
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Re: Who will Stay and Who will Go?

Unread post by Dino611 »

rhodylocal wrote: 1 year ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago My predictions of who will leave

1. Samb

2. Alex

3. Ish

Hope i'm wrong.
Ish and Samb have transferred. Assuming the intel, I received that Alex is going to be gone may be true.. But keep in mind I was told that if we do not land talent Alex would be welcome back if he decided to stay.
I'd like to see Alex in his natural position as a 4. I think trying to be a 5 is throwing off his mojo.
I’m sorry but what do people see Alex at the 4 like the man can’t even a catch a ball on the fast break can’t even shoot past the free throw line, I’m sorry but I don’t see him making an impact unless he’s a 5-10 min a game player
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah I would say less than 10 % he stays
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

CamsRams wrote: 1 year ago

Ish and Samb have transferred. Assuming the intel, I received that Alex is going to be gone may be true.. But keep in mind I was told that if we do not land talent Alex would be welcome back if he decided to stay.
What are chances Ish comes back?
I think he's gone. Hope i'm wrong
I agree Stevie, his family pretty much said that to us at the A10s. Said that it was taking a big toll on his body being the only one playing hard and tough, also said they weren't impressed with the "coaching" and that he was very disappointed to not receive any mentions in the A10 awards. I think he had already made his decision by then.
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

RIFan wrote: 1 year ago I’m glad we have a collective. So what is the collective paying the players for and what does it get back of value? Or is it’s simply pay for play with a fancy name?
URI decided to go the FOR PROFIT collective instead of a NFP. Which means donations to the collective are not tax deductible. The only write off would be for advertising/marketing expenses should you have a business. You can request the player do social media posts (like Ish and Dunkin') or advertise for your company, or you company can support an event (such as a visit to the Boys and Girls Club) such as what Ish did last week.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RamStock wrote: 1 year ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago
RamStock wrote: 1 year ago

It would only be a turnaround if they kept it up which they won’t. Wasn’t the goal to make the NCAA tourney or even the less desired NIT? If you are building with freshman and each year you get better it is growth. If not than you are right back where you started
If they finish ahead of Rhody next year, is it a turnaround then?
Finishing ahead of a well oiled URI basketball would qualify as improvement.
Not the question.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 1 year ago
CamsRams wrote: 1 year ago

What are chances Ish comes back?
I agree Stevie, his family pretty much said that to us at the A10s. Said that it was taking a big toll on his body being the only one playing hard and tough, also said they weren't impressed with the "coaching" and that he was very disappointed to not receive any mentions in the A10 awards. I think he had already made his decision by then.
Interesting about not being impressed with coaching as Miller seems 100 years ahead of Cox. The A10 awards thing is bs. A10 fd that up. There’s no way ish isn’t one of the best 18 players in the conference
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

steviep123 wrote: 1 year ago

Interesting about not being impressed with coaching as Miller seems 100 years ahead of Cox. The A10 awards thing is bs. A10 fd that up. There’s no way ish isn’t one of the best 18 players in the conference
Seriously. Our ball movement is best I've ever seen since I've been a fan.

I watched one game with my dad who is not a fan and said the same thing unprompted.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago
steviep123 wrote: 1 year ago

Seriously. Our ball movement is best I've ever seen since I've been a fan.

I watched one game with my dad who is not a fan and said the same thing unprompted.
Agree with that....who here remembers countless posts about.....wait for it....... the three man weave? (That should make folks feel better)
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

And here we go. First visit (I’m assuming)… I think the chance we get Battle is very slim, but we’ll see!

bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Major Bray Freeman vibes with this one all the way down to RV waving his pom poms. Hope Archie does the due diligence here. We need scoring and he can fill it but there are red flags.
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Major Bray Freeman vibes with this one all the way down to RV waving his pom poms. Hope Archie does the due diligence here. We need scoring and he can fill it but there are red flags.
Yeah not the player I was hoping to be the first visit tbh
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Major Bray Freeman vibes with this one all the way down to RV waving his pom poms. Hope Archie does the due diligence here. We need scoring and he can fill it but there are red flags.
What are they? And, were there red flags with Freeman before he came here?
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Totally worth it

This dude is better than any guard in the A-10
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Totally worth it

Seriously though, this guy is the real deal. I’ve seen a lot of comments about his attitude. Hopefully Archie’s not making a mistake like he did with Brayon.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

His rep: dynamic offensive player BUT not a leader, pouty when things don’t go well, volume scorer. He’s bigger and better than Bray but there are some pretty big red flags. Believe he either quit the team this year or was asked off by McKie.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago
Totally worth it

Seriously though, this guy is the real deal. I’ve seen a lot of comments about his attitude. Hopefully Archie’s not making a mistake like he did with Brayon.
Don’t have much of a choice if you want a guy of his skill level.

A 17ppg scorer in a solid mid major conference is likely only coming here if they have some baggage.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Totally worth it

Maybe worth it if you are 1 piece away from a tourney team and have other stars around him. Not so much if you are still trying to build a foundation and culture.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago
His rep: dynamic offensive player BUT not a leader, pouty when things don’t go well, volume scorer. He’s bigger and better than Bray but there are some pretty big red flags. Believe he either quit the team this year or was asked off by McKie.
Yikes. Hard pass. No thanks.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Is Battle a PG, SH, or CG?
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Totally worth it

Let's roll the dice baby!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Totally worth it

Maybe worth it if you are 1 piece away from a tourney team and have other stars around him. Not so much if you are still trying to build a foundation and culture.
Pass. Pass. Pass.... you cannot build around someone with a bad 'tude (thinking we recently saw that play out someplace?). I agree, 'maybe' if you are one piece away. so that when the guy goes into a one man pity party, you can probably still move along, but if he's your best player, you're just eff'd. In bidness (and in my hiring), we say, "hire attitude, you can teach skills". Did I say "pass" yet?
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

RIFan wrote: 1 year ago It basically all but guarantees no sooner than a 4 year rebuild.
Many posters disagreed when I said the same a year ago.
NCAAs or Bust!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago
RIFan wrote: 1 year ago It basically all but guarantees no sooner than a 4 year rebuild.
Many posters disagreed when I said the same a year ago.
Disagree. Ish leaving does not change the timetable...
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Ace follows Temple very closely. I'd love to hear her opinion on Battle.
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Totally worth it

Pass. Pass. Pass.... you cannot build around someone with a bad 'tude (thinking we recently saw that play out someplace?). I agree, 'maybe' if you are one piece away. so that when the guy goes into a one man pity party, you can probably still move along, but if he's your best player, you're just eff'd. In bidness (and in my hiring), we say, "hire attitude, you can teach skills". Did I say "pass" yet?
We don’t fully know the situation at Temple. He also transferred from Butler to be closer to home iirc
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

We don’t fully know the situation at Temple. He also transferred from Butler to be closer to home iirc
All I know is...when a player has a sucky attitude, it's usually, evenly matched by his play - up and down. And, if it's known he has a bad attitude, you have to expect some bad, un-teamly play (and other actions...like 'bench moping'. No. Thanks) I don't ever again want to pay season ticket money to see some dude - who's supposed to be a leader, or at least a + player, moping on the floor or on the bench on the regular, when it was known he had the propensity for that. And, if he already has a rep...it's probably on the reg....
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

This board has unrealistic expectations
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Looking at his numbers, he was off to a great start in his junior year before getting hurt. Yes, only 7 games, but he was averaging 21.4 points, shooting 54% from the field, 49% from three and 80% from the line. His numbers were down a little his senior year, although he did shoot 90% from the line. Don't know what his beef was about with McKie. He was averaging 32 minutes per game before he left.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago
72, did Thorr steal your candy ? Is that why you always have an ax to grind against him ? Or, was it Dooley and Thorr that colluded to steal your candy ? Come on…fess up. You are amongst fellow fans here. We can handle the truth. You can’t hold the grudge indefinitely; it’s not healthy.
No grudge. Thorr is among the nicest administrators I have known at URI. Football supporters should feel that he is a savior of the program. He has been as steadfast a Title IX supporter as I am. That said, I lack confidence in his leadership and he has been too slow to recognize opportunities and problems to keep URI athletics moving in a positive direction. We are the definition of mediocrity in a mediocre conference. It is time for more dynamic and forward looking leadership.
72, I appreciate the response. I am not intimate with the athletic department, so I am not qualified to accurately analyze Thorr’s job performance. That said, from where I sit I believe he has done a very good job, particularly when I compare him to his predecessor’s. We differ on this so I will leave it at that.

Back to transfers.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

My only expectation is to be a strong program again.
There are many good basketball players out there. We are wayyyyyyy more than 1 player away.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Looking at his numbers, he was off to a great start in his junior year before getting hurt. Yes, only 7 games, but he was averaging 21.4 points, shooting 54% from the field, 49% from three and 80% from the line. His numbers were down a little his senior year, although he did shoot 90% from the line. Don't know what his beef was about with McKie. He was averaging 32 minutes per game before he left.
I have no idea of the history of this guy, but, if he couldn't even finish the year*.....what are we doing here...?
BB's story behind a paywall, so don't have any details, but still stand by that.

Here's a free one (not really much detail, but it's a familiar gist): https://temple-news.com/battle-away-fro ... asketball/
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Khalif battle is a DUDE. This board should be ecstatic we’re getting him on a visit.

Spare me the attitude problems. This isn’t Brayon Freeman averaging 10ppg. This is a kid who would be a pre season favorite for A10 POY

Go look at this kids game log from this past season and tell me you don’t want him on this team

21 points vs Villanova
26 vs Richmond
22 vs Lasalle
27 vs VCU
24 vs Houston (#1 seed in the NCAA tourney)

These guys don’t grow on trees
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Looking at his numbers, he was off to a great start in his junior year before getting hurt. Yes, only 7 games, but he was averaging 21.4 points, shooting 54% from the field, 49% from three and 80% from the line. His numbers were down a little his senior year, although he did shoot 90% from the line. Don't know what his beef was about with McKie. He was averaging 32 minutes per game before he left.
I have no idea of the history of this guy, but, if he couldn't even finish the year*.....what are we doing here...?
BB's story behind a paywall, so don't have any details, but still stand by that.

Here's a free one (not really much detail, but it's a familiar gist): https://temple-news.com/battle-away-fro ... asketball/
I read it for free. Just close the payment thing. It probably gives you a couple of free reads before you have to pay.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

KingstonLane wrote: 1 year ago Khalif battle is a DUDE. This board should be ecstatic we’re getting him on a visit.

Spare me the attitude problems. This isn’t Brayon Freeman averaging 10ppg. This is a kid who would be a pre season favorite for A10 POY

Go look at this kids game log from this past season and tell me you don’t want him on this team

21 points vs Villanova
26 vs Richmond
22 vs Lasalle
27 vs VCU

Agree. But guys that can go into a funk, and just flat out disappear...like he has apparently....do. Whether he scores 10 a game or 20, if he goes into a funk and vanishes, he's useless. They're all over the place, you just hope not to get any of that on you....
Backroads
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Backroads »

This article mentions him as a fourth year sophomore. Does he have 2 years of eligibility? Would bringing him in help recruit Ish back or push him more away?
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

KingstonLane wrote: 1 year ago Khalif battle is a DUDE. This board should be ecstatic we’re getting him on a visit.

21 points vs Villanova
26 vs Richmond
22 vs Lasalle
27 vs VCU

He’s a skilled offensive player for sure.
But given that, is it odd he’s only started 19/69 games in his career despite his offensive stats? He literally just got thrown off the team at Temple. To just blindly gush over some stats is crazy to me. We need to build a team.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Backroads wrote: 1 year ago
This article mentions him as a fourth year sophomore. Does he have 2 years of eligibility? Would bringing him in help recruit Ish back or push him more away?
Ish is history....let him go. If he asks to come back, consider it then - if it seems like a fit - otherwise, sayonara....
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

21 points vs Villanova
26 vs Richmond
22 vs Lasalle
27 vs VCU

But given that, is it odd he’s only started 19/69 games in his career despite his offensive stats? He literally just got thrown off the team at Temple. To just blindly gush over some stats is crazy to me. We need to build a team.
He didn't get thrown off the team. He left on his own. Not that that is good either, but McKie didn't throw him off, as far as I can see.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago

21 points vs Villanova
26 vs Richmond
22 vs Lasalle
27 vs VCU

He didn't get thrown off the team. He left on his own. Not that that is good either, but McKie didn't throw him off, as far as I can see.
And I'm sure if Archie sees him as an ass, he won't take him after what he just went through with Bray. I'm not saying I want him. I'd like to know more. I wish Ace would chime in. I respect her opinion.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

21 points vs Villanova
26 vs Richmond
22 vs Lasalle
27 vs VCU

Teams are only as good as their stars. I get the mantra you’re trying to get at, but URI isn’t getting anyone of Battle’s level of talent on this team in the next 2-3 years without some baggage. Is what it is
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

True 78 hard to get anything definitive except that he was benched a couple points in the season and then eventually just stopped playing whether he left or McKie told him to leave. It’s just odd for those kids to then turn into “he was a great leader did everything we asked of him and helped turn this program around.” Rarely rarely happens.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

And I'm sure if Archie sees him as an ass, he won't take him after what he just went through with Bray. I'm not saying I want him. I'd like to know more. I wish Ace would chime in. I respect her opinion.
lol...
picard.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

lol...picard.JPG
What???
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

lol...save us, Ace! Tell us what to do!
picard.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

KingstonLane wrote: 1 year ago

21 points vs Villanova
26 vs Richmond
22 vs Lasalle
27 vs VCU

Teams are only as good as their stars. I get the mantra you’re trying to get at, but URI isn’t getting anyone of Battle’s level of talent on this team in the next 2-3 years without some baggage. Is what it is
Strongly disagree. Just taking a bunch of talent with no thought of fit, culture and chemistry is literally what David Cox just did. I hope that is not what Archie replicates. Dan attracted talent that were also high character guys even when we stunk. EC, Hassan, Stan, Kuran, Jared all committed to URI when we weren’t very good.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

lol...save us, Ace! Tell us what to do! picard.JPG
She's a graduate of Temple, I believe. I'm sure she knows a lot more about the situation than any of us do.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

I am not sure what to think about Battle. I haven’t seen him play at all yet and haven’t read anything about him as to the type of person he is.

You all make good points pro and con. The red flags some here raise leave me scratching my head and wondering why the staff is focused on him after what just transpired with Freeman. But, I am only seeing the tip of the iceberg of our player acquisition strategy and will trust that the staff knows what they are doing with this particular player.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

KingstonLane wrote: 1 year ago

Strongly disagree. Just taking a bunch of talent with no thought of fit, culture and chemistry is literally what David Cox just did. I hope that is not what Archie replicates. Dan attracted talent that were also high character guys even when we stunk. EC, Hassan, Stan, Kuran, Jared all committed to URI when we weren’t very good.
I’m not saying Archie should go out and collectively try to piece together a treasure chest of misfit toys. I’m saying you can’t expect to get a stud bucket getter at URI right now without baggage. You can keep lying to yourself and pretend it’s an option, but it’s not.

I think Archie is adapting his plan on the fly. He had the traditional long rebuild in mind. Then he saw how bad the A10 was last year, beating top teams with our horrible roster and realized we can be in the top half of the conference with only a couple impact players

Khalif battle is the definition of an impact player