2023 Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Re: 2023 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago Slick Rick always made it clear he wasn’t going anywhere.
Like last week he said he would go to another job if it was where he wanted to be. Hes sick of being in the MAAC
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rhodysurf wrote: 1 year ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago Slick Rick always made it clear he wasn’t going anywhere.
Like last week he said he would go to another job if it was where he wanted to be. Hes sick of being in the MAAC
Yup, said he’d only contemplate about a place if he thought he could get to the Final Four there.
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

He’s gone
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Having Pitino in the BE would be interesting and especially in NYC. Even with all the known baggage, some big program that needs a total restart will bite. No?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

St John's is a good fit for him. Doesn't have to move; the NYC media market won't care about his transgressions.
SJU would immediately get multiple games at MSG, big non con teams coming to NYC to play them, and it would be a massive jolt.
Fit at Georgetown makes less sense to me for him.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Multiple DC jobs now open

RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago Image

Yea Georgetown is next level and have done pretty well since the 80s.
Why though? Georgetown's "brand" is fading, PC's is currently here.

As for right now, PC is going to have been to 7 out of the last 9 NCAA tournaments. They just went to the Sweet 16. They have every amenity that any other program has around the country.

If you compare it to Georgetown, does Cooley really want to go to work everyday in a facility named after a previous coach who he'll be constantly compared to and walk past a statue of all the time? At PC their facility is covered in Cooley's memories because he has PC in their consistently best era of basketball ever. 7/9 tourneys. 5 in a row. Big East tourney champs, regular season champs, and a Sweet 16.

He can do no wrong here. He's synonymous with PC basketball. He's built a program here. He just won national COY. What can he not do at PC that he would only be able to do at Georgetown? He can reload PC again next year and make another run. Georgetown is a total rebuild.

Can't imagine Cooley leaving for any amount of money (and PC not matching it). He's literally at home.

Plus, I know the Hoyas have deep pockets, but Ewing's buyout is INSANE. If what I read is correct, he's going to be owed like $21M over 3 years.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Georgetown's brand isn't fading. They had a 10 year run of bad basketball that doesn't undo 40 years of excellence.
They have a global academic brand identity. It's Georgetown. These guys (cbb coaches) care about legacy, have huge egos and endless ambition.
It's not a stretch to see that being a star in DC would be larger than being a star in RI. Attracting 5 stars and competing for a national title are undoubtedly more realistic there. What else can he do in Prov? It's still probably a stretch but it has more legs than it once did.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago Image

Yea Georgetown is next level and have done pretty well since the 80s.
Why though? Georgetown's "brand" is fading, PC's is currently here.

As for right now, PC is going to have been to 7 out of the last 9 NCAA tournaments. They just went to the Sweet 16. They have every amenity that any other program has around the country.

If you compare it to Georgetown, does Cooley really want to go to work everyday in a facility named after a previous coach who he'll be constantly compared to and walk past a statue of all the time? At PC their facility is covered in Cooley's memories because he has PC in their consistently best era of basketball ever. 7/9 tourneys. 5 in a row. Big East tourney champs, regular season champs, and a Sweet 16.

He can do no wrong here. He's synonymous with PC basketball. He's built a program here. He just won national COY. What can he not do at PC that he would only be able to do at Georgetown? He can reload PC again next year and make another run. Georgetown is a total rebuild.

Can't imagine Cooley leaving for any amount of money (and PC not matching it). He's literally at home.

Plus, I know the Hoyas have deep pockets, but Ewing's buyout is INSANE. If what I read is correct, he's going to be owed like $21M over 3 years.
Counterpoint: Last year is the high water mark of what Cooley can achieve at Providence, what happens when he can't take the program further than he did last year? You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain. PC's consistently best era as you call it is significantly worse than the Georgetown ceiling
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Mike Brey is an interesting candidate at Georgetown. Would be great for me if Cooley went there but that feels unlikely.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I think theres plenty of coaches who built programs and eventually left, Shaka Smart (synonymous with what he built at VCU), Rick Barnes when he was at Texas, Bob Knight at Indiana. All these guys moved on eventually. It happens. Right now Cooley has the RI state house down the street, which doesn't compare with having the White House down the street. Totally different scale.

To add: If Hurley were still at URI, I would expect a similar amount of success as Cooley. UCONN was next level, success aside.
GO RAMS
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I just don't see it with Georgetown being a radically better job for Cooley than PC. Like, they can offer him a slight bump in pay, but I think it would have to be 2x+ to get him to jump from PC. Cooley has been a magician with the transfer portal so far, and maybe you can recruit a slightly better prospect at Georgetown than PC, but I don't think it's a big enough step up to make the move make sense. I think if Cooley jumps, it's going to be to a program that's a perennial, established contender with the resources to land a Top 20 recruiting class every year. Like, that UNC / Duke / Michigan / Kansas kind of program.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago I think theres plenty of coaches who built programs and eventually left, Shaka Smart (synonymous with what he built at VCU), Rick Barnes when he was at Texas, Bob Knight at Indiana. All these guys moved on eventually. It happens. Right now Cooley has the RI state house down the street, which doesn't compare with having the White House down the street. Totally different scale.

To add: If Hurley were still at URI, I would expect a similar amount of success as Cooley. UCONN was next level, success aside.
Lol MAJOR difference with those coaches "leaving".

Rick Barnes was fired. Did not leave on his own.

Bob Knight? Also fired. Did not leave on his own.

Shaka? Yes he left, but he didn't grow up minutes down the street from VCU. Wasn't his home city. Wasn't his home state. He left VCU for a Top 3 college athletics brand.

You cannot even begin to compare those coaches exits to Cooley leaving PC. It is completely apples to oranges.
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Chris Mack is more of a like for like. Ohio kid, played at Xavier, left for "perceived" greener pastures.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Slick Rick's next landing spot, will most likely be hired there very shortly.

Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Pitino the betting favorite at Georgetown at -200.

Followed by:

Brey +500
Shrewberry +600
Cooley +800
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago Pitino the betting favorite at Georgetown at -200.

Followed by:

Brey +500
Shrewberry +600
Cooley +800
Yes saw that, but the St. John's job isn't open yet.
If Anderson manages to stay on, yeah probably Rick to Georgetown.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago Slick Rick's next landing spot, will most likely be hired there very shortly.

I swear I saw this on the bottom ticker of FS1 last night. I thought it was a done deal.
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Georgetown's brand isn't fading. They had a 10 year run of bad basketball that doesn't undo 40 years of excellence.
They have a global academic brand identity. It's Georgetown. These guys (cbb coaches) care about legacy, have huge egos and endless ambition.
It's not a stretch to see that being a star in DC would be larger than being a star in RI. Attracting 5 stars and competing for a national title are undoubtedly more realistic there. What else can he do in Prov? It's still probably a stretch but it has more legs than it once did.
For some of us older fans it has faded. They are not even close to what they were.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Friartown might struggle if St John’s and Georgetown become prime recruit destinations again. Can’t deny that Cooley has navigated the new reality as well as anyone tho…
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Expect Chris Beard at Ole Miss
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Georgetown's brand isn't fading. They had a 10 year run of bad basketball that doesn't undo 40 years of excellence.
Bar, you and 02 make compelling arguments.

Hmmmm. I may have to re-think my initial position of Cooley not going to GU.

Entertaining thread this time of year.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Not a big fan of Bray, he’s an improvement over Ewing but I don’t think that moves the needle for them
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Well Anderson at St John’s just got fired so that’s the first shoe to drop.

Given PC and maybe Iona will be playing in tourney there could be a long week of rumors.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Well Anderson at St John’s just got fired so that’s the first shoe to drop.

Given PC and maybe Iona will be playing in tourney there could be a long week of rumors.
Doubling down on Pitino to St. John's

adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I have to admit, Pitino at St. John's would be kind of fun.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Georgetown and St John's both considering Pitino

Looks like it could be St John's

Iona made a great move 5 years ago. No issues at all over the 5 year time period and now P6 schools knocking on his door.

St. John's is expected to turn to Pitino as its top candidate to replace Anderson, sources told ESPN. A New York native, the Hall of Fame head coach has won two regular-season championships and one conference tournament in his three seasons with the Gaels.
Pitino, 70, is considered arguably the best college basketball coach of his generation and his hire would be the type of big-name needed to ignite a St. John's fanbase that hasn't seen an NCAA tournament win since 2000.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... ources-say
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Josh Pastner looks to be out at Georgia Tech
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Nightmare scenario for PC if they don’t even get a shot at making a run at Pitino bc he’s already off the board…and then Gtown comes hard at Cooley.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

adam914 wrote: 1 year ago I have to admit, Pitino at St. John's would be kind of fun.
It’s a done deal and it’s going to be electric.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago
adam914 wrote: 1 year ago I have to admit, Pitino at St. John's would be kind of fun.
If Pitino to Johnnies and Cools to Gtown , who does PC target ??
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Holy Cross fires Brett Nelson. Four of the ten Patriot League schools are making coaching changes at this time - Bucknell, Army, American, and HC.

https://goholycross.com/news/2023/3/10/ ... cross.aspx
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 1 year ago
There aren’t any logical fits that come to mind…but it would be interesting.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Grasso!
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago

Grasso!
That would be amazing - but they’d never do it.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

I guess this is one year that we don’t have to worry about our head coach being poached away f RI. Is this good or bad?
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

McRam wrote: 1 year ago I guess this is one year that we don’t have to worry about our head coach being poached away f RI. Is this good or bad?
Always bad of course, if we have to worry about losing our coach it means the team is doing well.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

How do you guys feel about Mike Bray being the next coach @ Providence College ??
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago I think it would have to be 2x+ to get him to jump from PC.
It’s double…4M to 2M.
Not sure if he gets the offer, but if he does of course he takes it!
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Dave Cox is familiar with Rhode Island
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

How much Cooley make @ PC now ??
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 1 year ago Dave Cox is familiar with Rhode Island
Really? Tyler Kolek?
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

rhodyrudder wrote: 1 year ago
SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago I think it would have to be 2x+ to get him to jump from PC.
It’s double…4M to 2M.
Not sure if he gets the offer, but if he does of course he takes it!
That's an old figure. The Projo (paywall) and McNamara's site have him at $3.1M following the 2020 season. He's been extended since then, so I'd be shocked if he wasn't at or slightly over $4M a year. I think Georgetown would need to be offering $7M+ to get him to consider the job.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Best estimates are 3.4ish on Cooley. There is no chance Gtown is going to pay him 7mm. But it won’t take that much IMO. I’d guess 5mm gets it done.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I can’t see Cooley leaving only because he’s local. But I could very well be wrong
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Best estimates are 3.4ish on Cooley. There is no chance Gtown is going to pay him 7mm. But it won’t take that much IMO. I’d guess 5mm gets it done.
Yeah 5M seems to be a good figure to get Ed to listen

Where would 5 M rank amongst the coaches in the nation ??
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Mark me down as someone who would be shocked if Cooley ever left. It would have to be some sort of "an offer he cannot refuse" $$$ package that I can't fathom.

I wouldn't think money would be the motivating factor, but as Ted DiBiase, the Million Dollar Man, used to say, everyone has a price. I guess?
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I already love the Big East and adding Pitino, as hateable as he is, to the fun? Do it.

Cooley and Steve Pikiell have some similarities to me. They are both in places that, more or less, appreciate any kind of success they have. They can have some success, help out their guys along the way, and everybody feels good about it. I could see Cooley, at some point, leaving coaching but sticking with college basketball in some kind of general leadership role. He’s made the right friends along the way.

Because of some of the changes in the game over the years, I’m not sure we see many college coaching “lifers” anymore.