2022-23 Men's Games of Interest

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Re: 2022-23 Men's Games of Interest

Unread post by RI_Bred »

UConn pounds PC by 18. I stand by my statement from earlier this year that PC is fake good. Weak OOC schedule, one of the worst in top-tier college hoops this year.
Mobley was fouled.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

PC got smoked.
GO RAMS
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

RI_Bred wrote: 1 year ago UConn pounds PC by 18. I stand by my statement from earlier this year that PC is fake good. Weak OOC schedule, one of the worst in top-tier college hoops this year.
PC beat UConn at home. They also beat Marquette.

They have 4 Q1 wins and zero Q3/Q4 losses.

Undefeated at home. They play in the 4th best conference in college basketball.

I get the hate, but there’s nothing true about what you’re saying.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

RI_Bred wrote: 1 year ago UConn pounds PC by 18. I stand by my statement from earlier this year that PC is fake good. Weak OOC schedule, one of the worst in top-tier college hoops this year.
I was hoping for a double forfeit so they'd both lose.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 1 year ago
Cooley played a weak OOC schedule as you said.

Only 3 games were tough and PC lost all 3 of them. The other games were against teams with NETs in the 200's and 300's

Cooley has said in the recent past that PC struggles to get good teams to play them. Can't get good OOC teams to the AMP.

Miami NET 27
TCU NET 24
St Louis NET 100
5F97B500-EA19-4326-9EF0-816F8AF7D37F.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PC got out-rebounded 40-20

Bryce Hopkins played 37 minutes and had zero rebounds in 37 minutes. He had not had a zero rebound game all year with his lowest rebound total being 4 vs TCU

Another starter Noah Locke also had zero rebounds.

Not the game Hopkins wants to lay a rebounding goose egg when in the running for BE POY. POY Award Door opened a lot wider for Marquette's Tyler Kolek.
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago

Only 3 games were tough and PC lost all 3 of them. The other games were against teams with NETs in the 200's and 300's

Cooley has said in the recent past that PC struggles to get good teams to play them. Can't get good OOC teams to the AMP.

Miami NET 27
TCU NET 24
St Louis NET 100

I’ve mentioned it before to some PC fans who surprisingly agree w me but if Cooley is complaining about not getting any H&H w P5 why doesn’t he just do H&H with teams like VCU, Dayton, Memphis to name a few (teams outside the P5 but are very good opponents)

Like for Archie next year id love for him to get H&H with teams like Kent St, Akron, Charleston, good mid majors that are starting to be consistent
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Dino611 wrote: 1 year ago

Miami NET 27
TCU NET 24
St Louis NET 100

I’ve mentioned it before to some PC fans who surprisingly agree w me but if Cooley is complaining about not getting any H&H w P5 why doesn’t he just do H&H with teams like VCU, Dayton, Memphis to name a few (teams outside the P5 but are very good opponents)

Like for Archie next year id love for him to get H&H with teams like Kent St, Akron, Charleston, good mid majors that are starting to be consistent
Because bottom line that's just Cooley blabbing. He loves playing the 300 NET teams on his home court so he can fatten up his record going into BE play. In fact, he talks up constantly how brutal the BE is to play in. Good Teams may not come to play at PC but I doubt Cooley is beating the bushes to bring them in anyway. He would rather play FDU than URI ie #WHODUCKIN

By playing the weak teams at home he gets great OOC W/L records but he doesn't prepare his team well for BE Road contests. Not like some schools who go out and play aggressive OOC schedules.his choice of course.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Kentucky jumped to 10-5 in SEC with win at Florida
Calipari played his 5 starters 189 of 200 minutes
Toppin double-double with 19p 11r on 7-10FG, 2-3 3P and 3-4 FT
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago

We'll see when the tourney rolls around.
Mobley was fouled.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

RI_Bred wrote: 1 year ago

I know we were all saying that last year. By all metrics, the luckiest team in D1. It will catch up to them. They ended up running to the S16 and lost a close game to the eventual champions. Like Blue Man said, we get the hate but you shouldn't just dismiss them out of hand because of that hate.
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

This friar team is a lot different from last years though. They are basically a two man show this year, if you shut down hopkins or carter you win. BUt thats really hard to do obviously.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

The tourney is a false moniker for whether a team is "good" or not. Getting to the tourney means you're good.

Was NM State a better team than UConn last year? No. Just had one dude shooting the lights out on the right day. Teddy Allen shot like 65% from deep and was unstoppable. Next game he shot like 30% and they couldn't score 50 points.

PC is a good team this year. This is probably Cooley's best coaching job to date.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

The tourney is a false moniker for whether a team is "good" or not. Getting to the tourney means you're good.

Was NM State a better team than UConn last year? No. Just had one dude shooting the lights out on the right day. Teddy Allen shot like 65% from deep and was unstoppable. Next game he shot like 30% and they couldn't score 50 points.

PC is a good team this year. This is probably Cooley's best coaching job to date.
He has been absolutely money in the portal the last two seasons as well.
Go Rhody
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

Dino611 wrote: 1 year ago

Miami NET 27
TCU NET 24
St Louis NET 100

Because bottom line that's just Cooley blabbing. He loves playing the 300 NET teams on his home court so he can fatten up his record going into BE play. In fact, he talks up constantly how brutal the BE is to play in. Good Teams may not come to play at PC but I doubt Cooley is beating the bushes to bring them in anyway. He would rather play FDU than URI ie #WHODUCKIN

By playing the weak teams at home he gets great OOC W/L records but he doesn't prepare his team well for BE Road contests. Not like some schools who go out and play aggressive OOC schedules.his choice of course.
They had five new starters this year there obviously was going to be a period of getting acclimated to each other. Last year they had a veteran team they played Texas Tech, Wisconsin on the road and Northwestern on a neutral court. Cooley should be getting votes for coach of the year again. They get nothing for playing URI they lose its a horrible loss they win and their net still takes a hit. They also played St Peter's last year who ended up in the elite eight.
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Blueman, you are a guy that likes to get on the refs. I would posit that PC has benefitted immensely this year from 'home court ref advantage". They don't/won't get that benefit on the road/in the BET/ in the NCAA tournament. I think it's been a big advantage for them that's about to disappear.

I would also say this is Hurley's best coaching job to date, as much as I don't like to admit it. Early season success against top teams OOC, a tough stretch in the BE regular season, and now trending towards peaking as they get into the playoffs. We'll see.
Mobley was fouled.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

7:00 PM Richmond at VCU ESPN+, ESPN2
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

2:30 PM Rhode Island at Fordham USA Network
6:00 PM Loyola Chicago at Saint Louis CBS Sports Network
6:00 PM La Salle at George Washington ESPN+
6:00 PM George Mason at Dayton ESPNU
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Arkansas AT Alabama at 2pm ESPN2 is a good one.
Alabama favored by 8

#15 St Mary's AT #12 Gonzaga at 10pm is a good one along with
#22 San Diego State AT New Mexico also at 10pm
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Really looking forward to Indiana and Purdue later to. Should be a fun one.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

GM winning at Dayton was quite the upset, 74-69.
What a disappointing season for the Flyers with all their preseason high expectations.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

12:00 PM Saint Joseph's at St. Bonaventure USA Network
2:00 PM Davidson at Duquesne USA Network
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago GM winning at Dayton was quite the upset, 74-69.
What a disappointing season for the Flyers with all their preseason high expectations.
Take that home loss Anthony Grant !!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Tuesday night
  • St Louis at VCU 7pm CBSSN --- VCU -6
  • LaSalle at Dayton 7pm --- Dayton -14
Last edited by ramster 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Big win Huggy Bear WVU
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

reef wrote: 1 year ago Big win Huggy Bear WVU
WVU is an interesting P5 Net/NCAAT test case. They have a Net of 23 despite a 6-11 conf record ( the Big12 is rated 1st in Net overall ) but a very good early season out of conf record (ooc sos of 37). They are 5-12 in Q1 games and 5-5 overall in their last 10 games. Their best ooc road win was at Pitt in the second game of the season

I saw last night that Lunardi of ESPN has them currently in the tourney.

If they do get in because the Net carries that much influence in determining bids, to me, that sets a bad precedent for non-P5 teams. That will set a precedent for sub-500 P5 conf teams to take even more bids from lower conferences.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago
WVU is an interesting P5 Net/NCAAT test case. They have a Net of 23 despite a 6-11 conf record ( the Big12 is rated 1st in Net overall ) but a very good early season out of conf record. They are 5-12 in Q1 games and 5-5 overall in their last 10 games.

If they do get in because the Net carries that much influence in determining bids, to me, that sets a bad precedent for non-P5 teams.
Lunardi has West Virginia in as a 10th seed
VCU is in as a 12th seed
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I know it'll never happen, but I've always thought there should be some kind of requirement that you have to finish .500 or better in conference to make the tournament.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

adam914 wrote: 1 year ago I know it'll never happen, but I've always thought there should be some kind of requirement that you have to finish .500 or better in conference to make the tournament.
I have always felt that, need to take care of business in your own conference to get rewarded with a bid.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

adam914 wrote: 1 year ago I know it'll never happen, but I've always thought there should be some kind of requirement that you have to finish .500 or better in conference to make the tournament.
I guess the rub would be those rare times where an under .500 team wins their conference tourney?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago
I guess the rub would be those rare times where an under .500 team wins their conference tourney?
Yeah I don't think that should change, you still get the automatic qualifier either way. I should have said "to make the tournament as an at-large bid".
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

I agree. You should have to “distinguish” yourself in conference despite the conference NET ranking. By distinguish I mean a .500 or better record in conference.

Or, expand the play in NCAAT games in Dayton and have sub-500 P5 teams with high nets play, on a neutral court, against losing regular season champs (normally bound for the NIT) from non-P5 conferences and/or top 75 NET non-P5 teams that do not get an auto bid.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

WVU is an interesting P5 Net/NCAAT test case. They have a Net of 23 despite a 6-11 conf record ( the Big12 is rated 1st in Net overall ) but a very good early season out of conf record. They are 5-12 in Q1 games and 5-5 overall in their last 10 games.

If they do get in because the Net carries that much influence in determining bids, to me, that sets a bad precedent for non-P5 teams.
VCU is in as a 12th seed
I assume VCU is the A10 auto qualifier?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

VCU is in as a 12th seed
I assume VCU is the A10 auto qualifier?
Yes. Only 1 A10 Team gets in. So the best of the best in A10 gets a 12th seed as the AQ.
Last year Davidson got a 10-seed, Richmond got a 12-seed.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago
I wouldn’t change that. Conf tourney champ gets auto bid.

So for example off the top of my head without searching for a better team than VCU…say VCU is regular season champ but loses in the A10 Tourney and is therefore headed to the NIT (despite a net in the 50’s or 60’s) and WVU loses in their conf tourney. Why not have both play on a neutral court to earn the 64 round field?

If WVU win’s their tourney, then substitute another highly rated NET team with a sub-500 record from the same or another P5 conference.

There is no right or wrong answer. I am just spitballing as I don’t believe the P5 conferences would go for it unless they were somehow incentivized with more money or embarrassed into it somehow. And, I don’t ever see them getting embarrassed as they are too arrogant as a whole, imho.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

WVU is an interesting P5 Net/NCAAT test case. They have a Net of 23 despite a 6-11 conf record ( the Big12 is rated 1st in Net overall ) but a very good early season out of conf record (ooc sos of 37). They are 5-12 in Q1 games and 5-5 overall in their last 10 games. Their best ooc road win was at Pitt in the second game of the season

If they do get in because the Net carries that much influence in determining bids, to me, that sets a bad precedent for non-P5 teams. That will set a precedent for sub-500 P5 conf teams to take even more bids from lower conferences.
I think I heard they were 0-10 Q1 games prior to last night ??
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

reef wrote: 1 year ago

I think I heard they were 0-10 Q1 games prior to last night ??
I think you mean VCU?

I was just throwing them out there off the top of my head as a hypothetical example. There are probably other non-P5 conf teams with at least 1-2 Q1 wins or a comparable Q1 winning percentage or close that have a top 75 Net.

Maybe North Texas State with a Net of 50 (assuming they don’t win their conference’s auto bid)?

Although, there are a number of non-P5 teams with top 75 Nets with only 1 or 2 Q1 opportunities ( for whatever reason ), which doesn’t allow much room for error, that if they lose in their conf tourney will not be considered for an at-large NCAA bid. Imho, I think they would deserve a crack at WVU on a neutral court in a play-in game. For example, Iona with a 44 Net and 0-1 in Q1.

As I said I am just spitballing based on my definition of “deserving” which is hedged against sub-500 regular season P5 conference teams that do not win their conf auto-bid. I do not expect things to change.

It is a good Rhody off day topic, I think.

ETA: I just checked on VCU - they are 0-1 in Q1 opportunities on Nolan’s site.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

VCU beats STL @ home now 14-3 conference
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Something to watch

Antoine Davis of Detroit Mercy is now just 26 points away from breaking Pistol Pete's scoring record!

Watched him pour in 38 points tonight. Don't know why I haven't heard of him until like a week or so ago. Dude is a fun player to watch.

Plays at Youngstown state in the quarterfinals of the horizon league tournament on Thursday night.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago Something to watch

Antoine Davis of Detroit Mercy is now just 26 points away from breaking Pistol Pete's scoring record!

Watched him pour in 38 points tonight. Don't know why I haven't heard of him until like a week or so ago. Dude is a fun player to watch.

Plays at Youngstown state in the quarterfinals of the horizon league tournament on Thursday night.

He has played 5 years at Detroit picking up the free bonus Covid year.
No interest in seeing Maravich's record broken with that Covid year added on.

Maravich set the record in 3 years because they had Freshmen Teams then. Freshmen could not play varsity in Year 1.

Maravich averaged 44 ppg for his career
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

I will watch anyway, if I can remember to, even though he isn’t the great player Pete Maravich was in college.

Don’t let me forget to watch, PRT, now that you peaked my curiosity. 👍
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago Something to watch

He has played 5 years at Detroit picking up the free bonus Covid year.
No interest in seeing Maravich's record broken with that Covid year added on.

Maravich set the record in 3 years because they had Freshmen Teams then. Freshmen could not play varsity in Year 1.

Maravich averaged 44 ppg for his career
Yeah im well aware

It's still cool! Even with the asterisk
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago I will watch anyway, if I can remember to, even though he isn’t the great player Pete Maravich was in college.

Don’t let me forget to watch, PRT, now that you peaked my curiosity. 👍
I'm on it drums!

He's really fun to watch. Dude can shoot the lights out and is unselfish. He passed up a wide open lay up and passed it to a walk on at the end of the game. Hard not to root for him!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

He plays for his dad Mike Davis former IU coach
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

7:00 PM Richmond at Saint Joseph's ESPN+
7:00 PM UMass at Duquesne ESPN+
7:00 PM George Washington at Davidson ESPN+
7:00 PM Fordham at George Mason ESPN+
9:00 PM Rhode Island at Loyola Chicago CBS Sports Network
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 1 year ago He plays for his dad Mike Davis former IU coach
Pete Maravich also played for his Dad, Press Maravich, at LSU
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Tuesday night games.......

VCU beat St Louis who played without Okoro who was out with an illness.
Dayton beat LaSalle

Bryant lost at Maine to drop to 8-8 in American East
Bryant has lost 4 of their last 5 games

Bryant was picked preseason to finish 2nd in America East and received 2 of 9 possible votes to finish 1st. Vermont received the other 7 votes for 1st place.

Charles Pride and Earl Timberlake were picked 1st team preseason poll. Last night Pride had zero points.

2022-23 America East Men’s Basketball Preseason Poll
No. School Points (1st Place Votes)
1. Vermont 63 (7)
2. Bryant 58 (2)
3. UMass Lowell 47
4. Binghamton 42
5. UMBC 40
6. UAlbany 25
7. New Hampshire 23
8. NJIT 14
9. Maine 12
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

reef wrote: 1 year ago He plays for his dad Mike Davis former IU coach
Pete Maravich also played for his Dad, Press Maravich, at LSU
It's so weird that the top two players in scoring all time both played for their dad! What are the odds?!? /s

I do think Pistol Pete was a great player. But man, his shooting ATTEMPT numbers are absolutely insane. He averaged 37+ shots per game - about one a minute - and finished with 976, 1022 and 1168 FGA in his three varsity years. Davis is at 706 and counting for this year, and averaging about 20 per game for his career. Clearly a gunner, but Pete's on his own level. Sports Reference only has stats going back to 1985-86 - the leader in FGA in that time frame is Kevin Bradshaw, U.S. International in 1990-91 with 837 attempts. Nobody else has even broken past 800 FGA in that time span.

Pete's dad was out of coaching within two years - Fired after 14-12 and 10-16 years without Pete, and then winning 12 games across three years with Appalachian State. I don't think we'll ever see a team so devoted to one player ever again.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Here are the top 12 career scorers.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-me ... istory?amp
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Didn't want to put this in the coaching carousel or make a separate thread, but positive news for Chris Mooney. They successfully removed an aneurysm from his aorta.