2/15 | VCU | 7:00PM (YurView/ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Re: 2/15 | VCU | 7:00PM (YurView/ESPN+)

Unread post by Rhody15 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago
RJRam wrote: 1 year ago I just don't understand all this discussion about time outs. Thursday morning coaches! How does anyone know why a coach calls a timeout, unless he is in the huddle. He may have been checking injuries, giving guys a little more rest, who knows. That's why he makes the big bucks. Personally, I would want the time out to set up a specific defense and warn the VERY YOUNG team to not foul! To do that before the second foul shot does not seem to be as forceful. My friends used to make fun of one of our former coaches, AS, who never called time outs at the end of games. They would accuse him of saving all his time outs to use for State retirement credits.

And for those of you that think Weston didn't foul on the rebound, my eye doc is taking new patients. I had a very good angle, and I don't need to see any replays or listen to any announcers. Weston was so forceful, that the VCU guy almost ended up on the Ram's bench, and he left his arm out there for a long time for the ref to see. He needs to be more discreet when he fouls. I have noticed this tendency with him in earlier games.

And one more observation from last night, and maybe some former players on KB can confirm this. I noticed that Carey doesn't seem to use his off-hand to keep defensive players away from the ball as much as most other players. Maybe it would save 1 or 2 TO's per game?

Did I say one more take? Thomas really stepped up. But feeding our 4 and 5 are like throwing passes into the abyss. We win that game with Bilau.
Speaking of Bilau, it was good to see him walking without crutches before the game. He still has a limp, but it looks like he's making progress and gives hope that he'll be ready to go by November.
I think there's about a 100% chance he will be ready by November. He didn't tear an ACL right?

He did.
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago
RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago

The Carey bashing comes from his consistent problem with turnovers. How many times a game does he literally dribble it off of his own foot or throw the ball 10 feet in the air?
Sad, but funny true. I'm a huge Carey fan, but good grief, don't have him bring the ball up against the press. Everytime they inbounded to him, I cringed and just kept saying "get it out of his hands!". (Oftentimes, seems like a VCU player would do just that or he'd "throw the ball 10 feet in the air" :lol: )

By the way.... VCU = Very Cool Uniforms. Thought they looked very sharp.
I guess they look sharp if you're the owner of or a big fan of Buffalo Wild Wings
I am a fan of BWW ... I mean, it's not a "destination" place but, good as a safety place for 🍺 and some 🍗 . I mean, it's not the same as a gas station hot dog, but it is what it is... ETA, our whole family watched Felix Hernandez perfect game at a BW in FLA. Good times at Bdub.

(The unis still look cool)
Last edited by NYGFan_Section208 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

Jalen did travel on the inbound play as the ref was blowing the whistle. He had already taken a few steps but the reason for the whistle being blown was the ref believe he gave Jalen the ball to close to being under the basket. When Mike Rhodes question the ref, the ref pointed to the backboard so I assume the ref though he gave him the ball to close to being under the baskets.
As for Weston....That was a foul big time
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

RhodyRam86 wrote: 1 year ago None of our bigs were able to cleanly handle a pass that had a little mustard on it tonight. It’s like the ball had to have grease on it. Even Rory dropped one (I believe he ended up with 2 free throws, but if he handles the pass cleanly, it’s probably an and one.
They have to get used to getting those entry passes consistently - they were not until last night….
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago

Speaking of Bilau, it was good to see him walking without crutches before the game. He still has a limp, but it looks like he's making progress and gives hope that he'll be ready to go by November.
I think there's about a 100% chance he will be ready by November. He didn't tear an ACL right?

He did.
Damn I thought it was a MCL or something.

Still ACL's are less and less of a big deal these days. He'll be fine.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago

He did.
Damn I thought it was a MCL or something.

Still ACL's are less and less of a big deal these days. He'll be fine.
Okay, but not all players come back the same.
I wouldn't count on a whole bunch from him too soon once he returns.
Besides we only saw a small sampling from him, so not sure what to expect.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

RJRam wrote: 1 year ago I just don't understand all this discussion about time outs. Thursday morning coaches! How does anyone know why a coach calls a timeout, unless he is in the huddle. He may have been checking injuries, giving guys a little more rest, who knows. That's why he makes the big bucks. Personally, I would want the time out to set up a specific defense and warn the VERY YOUNG team to not foul! To do that before the second foul shot does not seem to be as forceful. My friends used to make fun of one of our former coaches, AS, who never called time outs at the end of games. They would accuse him of saving all his time outs to use for State retirement credits.

And for those of you that think Weston didn't foul on the rebound, my eye doc is taking new patients. I had a very good angle, and I don't need to see any replays or listen to any announcers. Weston was so forceful, that the VCU guy almost ended up on the Ram's bench, and he left his arm out there for a long time for the ref to see. He needs to be more discreet when he fouls. I have noticed this tendency with him in earlier games.

And one more observation from last night, and maybe some former players on KB can confirm this. I noticed that Carey doesn't seem to use his off-hand to keep defensive players away from the ball as much as most other players. Maybe it would save 1 or 2 TO's per game?

Did I say one more take? Thomas really stepped up. But feeding our 4 and 5 are like throwing passes into the abyss. We win that game with Bilau.
I thought he did. What was the injury?
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

I thought he did. What was the injury?
It was an ACL tear.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Well thought out and presented, RJ.

I especially like the discrete fouling comment. Never thought of those two words together. I like the description.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Most people will focus on the loss, but I saw a team out there yesterday that was significantly more distraction free than we have seen in the past. When we were up late in the first half, I was tempted to come on here and write "addition by subtraction"? But I'm glad I didn't because I knew that securing the W was hardly in the bag. Very good effort though.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Weston is a bull in a china shop out there, but that's one of the things I like about him. He's rugged.
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago Most people will focus on the loss, but I saw a team out there yesterday that was significantly more distraction free than we have seen in the past. When we were up late in the first half, I was tempted to come on here and write "addition by subtraction"? But I'm glad I didn't because I knew that securing the W was hardly in the bag. Very good effort though.
I'd say next year this will be a type of game I expect them to win.
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Ny giantfan how could Weston have pushed the VCU player in the back when you can clearly see on the replay on espn+ that Weston was in front of the VCU player, not behind him . If he pushed him he would have had to push him in the chest , so maybe you need to watch a replay . The replay does show that he extended his arm out , but I wouldn't describe it as pushing rather it looks like he prevented the VCU player from going over or around him .
Players boxing out do this very often. Before watching the replay I hadn't realized that the VCU player was that close to Weston . After watching the replay over and over again I thought the VCU player could have been called for going over Weston's back , but i would not have called a foul on either player if I was officiating because the contact was not that out of the ordinary for a rebound where contact of an even greater amount is often let go .
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

I went back and looked at the play several more times . It looks to me like Weston's arm came in contact with the right shoulder of the VCU player , but Weston clearly had position . Probably if Weston had just rebounded the ball without extending his arm he would not have been called for a foul , but i still think the foul call was questionable .
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

rhodyrudder wrote: 1 year ago Martin is available too
To do what? Surely you're not suggesting to play point
🤪
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Wouldn’t Martin or Weston be better bringing ball up against bigs than Carey against quick guards?
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

RamStock wrote: 1 year ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago This game was proof that it's not going to take us 4 to 5 years to compete for A-10 titles

That trash VCU team is NUMBER ONE in the A-10 right now! And we already beat number two and three!

Archie will dominate this league again. It's only a matter of time. And it won't take much of it.
Why was this game proof of URI turning the program around? This was a home game against a team that frankly isn’t very good despite being in first place. We haven’t won on the road in what seems like a lifetime. The whole league is terrible right now. I would hope it wouldn’t take 4-5 years or Archie was a failure here. As mentioned before basketball can be turned around much easier than football and we need to get back in the transfer portal and bring much better talent to this team than we have now. There is not many players other than Ish that we would lose sleep if they left the program. I think Archie is a good coach, but will not win without refreshing the talent and then that will take a little time for everything to gel.
What's so hard to understand?

You're not that far from your goals if you're competitive with and beating the best teams in your league in year one with a depleted young roster without three players (Bray, Ant, Billau) you planned to rely heavily on.

It's also a given Archie will get players from the portal that will make our team better. We can very easily compete for the A-10 title next year.
Harris has never played a minute on this team and never will and Bray is history. I’m not sure losing a close game at home to a very overrated VCU team is grounds for being a top team in the A-10. We have lost to everyone on the road and from just the eye test are not a good watch. I think Archie will do a better job next year with bringing in talent, but this year he failed in that category no matter what excuse is given. Basketball can be turned around quick unlike football, but the only way we compete for anything is with many new faces. Give me Ish and Bilau and don’t care if anyone else is back.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Why was this game proof of URI turning the program around? This was a home game against a team that frankly isn’t very good despite being in first place. We haven’t won on the road in what seems like a lifetime. The whole league is terrible right now. I would hope it wouldn’t take 4-5 years or Archie was a failure here. As mentioned before basketball can be turned around much easier than football and we need to get back in the transfer portal and bring much better talent to this team than we have now. There is not many players other than Ish that we would lose sleep if they left the program. I think Archie is a good coach, but will not win without refreshing the talent and then that will take a little time for everything to gel.
What's so hard to understand?

You're not that far from your goals if you're competitive with and beating the best teams in your league in year one with a depleted young roster without three players (Bray, Ant, Billau) you planned to rely heavily on.

It's also a given Archie will get players from the portal that will make our team better. We can very easily compete for the A-10 title next year.
Harris has never played a minute on this team and never will and Bray is history. I’m not sure losing a close game at home to a very overrated VCU team is grounds for being a top team in the A-10. We have lost to everyone on the road and from just the eye test are not a good watch. I think Archie will do a better job next year with bringing in talent, but this year he failed in that category no matter what excuse is given. Basketball can be turned around quick unlike football, but the only way we compete for anything is with many new faces. Give me Ish and Bilau and don’t care if anyone else is back.
So the point is that supporting cast is ok. 2 big pieces we expected to contribute from the portal failed and Bilau got hurt. Go in the portal, have better luck next year hopefully and things look better really quickly.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

rhodylaw wrote: 1 year ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago What's so hard to understand?

So the point is that supporting cast is ok. 2 big pieces we expected to contribute from the portal failed and Bilau got hurt. Go in the portal, have better luck next year hopefully and things look better really quickly.
It’s definitely possible in this day and age , I doubt we will win the league but a top 4 finish could be in the cards if we strike it big in the off-season
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

reef wrote: 1 year ago
It’s definitely possible in this day and age , I doubt we will win the league but a top 4 finish could be in the cards if we strike it big in the off-season
Right coach in place is huge. Outplayed them for most of the night - and not because Rhody had more physical talent.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago
reef wrote: 1 year ago

Right coach in place is huge. Outplayed them for most of the night - and not because Rhody had more physical talent.
Yup Arch is going to take us places and we will be along for the ride
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Forgot to mention a key highlight of the game... maybe this should be under Ryan Center experience thread but, a huge shout-out to goarmy.com/ROTC. Those guys gave out the best "free pen at a basketball game" ever - from someone that's seen a lot of free pens at basketball games. Solid, sturdy, black, weighs a pound or so, writes great..frickn beautiful.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago I'm ready to talk.

I mean like, I'm numb. I should be used to it. But ugh.

In the grand scheme of things - this is a young team that's trying to learn and has been dealing with an albatross of drama from their PG all year. To have that whole situation come to a head after a 3 game losing streak, and then come out and out play the best team in the conference - forcing them to hit a difficult 20 foot jumper with a hand in their face as time expired - is as admirable as you can get in a loss.

I was so ready to eat crow from Bassy. Two huge 3's - a literal warrior's effort in the first half. Getting hurt, coming off, but still playing 38 mins against one of the tougher defenses you'll see - was awesome.

Bassy not handling a pass (TO credited to Carey but IT HIT BASSY IN THE HANDS CATCH THE BALL), and then THROWING THE LITERAL BALL AND GAME 14 ROWS INTO THE STANDS, reminded me that while he shows glimpses of decent play, he's not ready to play at this level. He might get there, but there will be a lot of pain and I will grow a lot more gray hairs between now and then.

Regardless, it was one of his - if not his best game as a Ram.

The refs were a hot garbage sundae. Fuck them hard. Weston got called for...literally I have no idea what for. He went up for a rebound while making no contact with someone else - and I think the ref up the floor called him because he jumped so high that he thought he was using the defender that he wasn't even touching. The idea that you can play against VCU's defense, as a team who drives to the hoop more than anyone in the conference, and not even be in the bonus with 1 min to go in the 2nd half is bullshit. A10 refs should be required to have press conferences.

The defense as a whole was so much better. While Bassy is very obviously not my favorite player - at least he tries to play defense. He's a slightly above average defender - which is a lot more than I can say for our former point guard who went to the James Harden school of defense (but missed most of the James Harden school of offensive classes).

The Bray situation continues to get weirder. I think I feel bad for him. It's very obvious he's got a dogshit family situation and that might have been the thing that cost him his spot on the team. Supposedly his dad is all over twitter talking about how he's the one swearing at Archie and he doesn't give a shit about it, yada yada. Tough look. I can't even imagine how embarrassed I'd be if I was in that situation.

That being said, based on all the witnesses who were at the Mason game...I'm more inclined to believe all of their accounts (combined with what we've all seen of his behavior all year).

Either way, Bray being there last night to cheer on the team was kind of sad. Hopefully he learns a lesson that will make him change his behavior/shrink his circle.

While I'm gutted - I'm still more encouraged than discouraged. Year ONE people. This was another game where a couple of bounces didn't go our way. We don't need the bounces this year. I'll take em when it matters again. See you Saturday.

Good summary Blue Man.

Thomas played 38 minutes which was a game high. He came out when he injured his ankle in a scramble for a loose ball with about 2 minutes til halftime. He limped badly to the bench and then to the locker room. Had he not injured his ankle/foot Miller might have played him the entire 40 minutes.

When he left the arena he was limping and his ankle/foot was wrapped with clear tape and ice the size of a volleyball.

He had a team high 2 steals. I have not watched the game replay as yet but I can think of several plays where Thomas dove for loose balls, tipped or knocked balls loose but not enough to get credit for a steal. I plan to rewatch the game but I'm sure I'll count many times Thomas hit the floor for loose balls.

Miller talks foremost about effort and attitude. He got that from the team vs VCU.

Thomas had 1 Turnover in 38 minutes. It was a bad one throwing the ball way out of bounds. Miller called an immediate timeout. Nobody in the RC felt worse about that late game TO than Thomas. He sat on his chair for the Time Out discussion with his HC. Thomas was a bit gimpy having had the 1st half injury. Excuse for the Turnover? No.

The players and coaches were crushed by the way they lost as VCU hit the buzzer beater.

What an amazing drive to the hoop by Leggett as he got fouled with 4+ seconds to go. Everyone knew Rhody's best player would be getting the ball, yet Leggett still managed to drive through defenders and got off a shot that just missed going in as he was hacked. Then Leggett sinks the 1st to tie it. Time out by VCU to "ice" Leggett however Leggett with ice in his veins sinks the go ahead FT. 2 pressure FTs!!

The team went through the handshake line dejected then made their way to the locker room. Freeman came over to the bench smiling talking to some people. Nobody on the team was talking, just kind of in shock as would be expected. Seemed odd that he would come over.

Read attached from Friday PROJO by Bill Koch and what Leggett said about Thomas and the game.

The most important recruit for the 2023-2024 season is Leggett. Reading what Leggett said about the VCU effort gives hope that he returns to lead this URI team next season. Leggett's performance this season with effort, clutch plays, FT shooting, rebounding, defense and leadership has been All A10 Conference level.

A few games remaining that some wins could build confidence and Brooklyn could welcome a URI team that others may not want to face.

29F480E3-FB00-44FC-9B3C-85EF6B1E4646.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago
bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago That was 1 shot away from Ramster being prophetic in how he thought the game would go. Thomas was solid, the ball def moved better and our defense was much much better.
What are you talking about. He kept saying our offense would be better and we scored 54. Were you watching tonight?
He also said the ball movement would be better. It was.
He said Thomas would perform and he even went out on a massive limb to say he would hit threes. He did. Don’t recall him saying we would hang 70 on them bc that was never going to happen.
Thanks BAR. We came so very close to beating the #1 team. VCU played their trademark suffocating defense and went to an aggressive fill court press for much of the 2nd half. We handled the press well for the most part.
Thomas only played 10 minutes in the George Mason game with 3 TOs. Freeman played 27 minutes so vs GMU. Some of Freeman's minutes went to Westin who played 23 minutes. So good to see Thomas play well after not playing too many minutes.
The whole team put forth strong effort, positive attitude and energy vs VCU. They showed that they can beat the best in the A10 just as they did with the Dayton win.
Thomas' ankle was wrapped in ice when he walked out of the arena Wednesday night. Hopefully it's something he gets over quickly. Not sure to what degree it hampered him in the 2nd half, if any, but his teammates saw a guy diving for balls and playing tough defense plus going 38 minutes with 1 late game TO that he'd like to have back.

Thomas was matched up against Ace Baldwin, 1st team A10 Preseason
Baldwin went 0-10 FG, 0-3 3P, with 4 assists, 4 TOs. Finished with 2 points. Only game all season Baldwin has gone without a FG.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago I'm ready to talk.

I mean like, I'm numb. I should be used to it. But ugh.

In the grand scheme of things - this is a young team that's trying to learn and has been dealing with an albatross of drama from their PG all year. To have that whole situation come to a head after a 3 game losing streak, and then come out and out play the best team in the conference - forcing them to hit a difficult 20 foot jumper with a hand in their face as time expired - is as admirable as you can get in a loss.

I was so ready to eat crow from Bassy. Two huge 3's - a literal warrior's effort in the first half. Getting hurt, coming off, but still playing 38 mins against one of the tougher defenses you'll see - was awesome.

Bassy not handling a pass (TO credited to Carey but IT HIT BASSY IN THE HANDS CATCH THE BALL), and then THROWING THE LITERAL BALL AND GAME 14 ROWS INTO THE STANDS, reminded me that while he shows glimpses of decent play, he's not ready to play at this level. He might get there, but there will be a lot of pain and I will grow a lot more gray hairs between now and then.

Regardless, it was one of his - if not his best game as a Ram.

The refs were a hot garbage sundae. Fuck them hard. Weston got called for...literally I have no idea what for. He went up for a rebound while making no contact with someone else - and I think the ref up the floor called him because he jumped so high that he thought he was using the defender that he wasn't even touching. The idea that you can play against VCU's defense, as a team who drives to the hoop more than anyone in the conference, and not even be in the bonus with 1 min to go in the 2nd half is bullshit. A10 refs should be required to have press conferences.

The defense as a whole was so much better. While Bassy is very obviously not my favorite player - at least he tries to play defense. He's a slightly above average defender - which is a lot more than I can say for our former point guard who went to the James Harden school of defense (but missed most of the James Harden school of offensive classes).

The Bray situation continues to get weirder. I think I feel bad for him. It's very obvious he's got a dogshit family situation and that might have been the thing that cost him his spot on the team. Supposedly his dad is all over twitter talking about how he's the one swearing at Archie and he doesn't give a shit about it, yada yada. Tough look. I can't even imagine how embarrassed I'd be if I was in that situation.

That being said, based on all the witnesses who were at the Mason game...I'm more inclined to believe all of their accounts (combined with what we've all seen of his behavior all year).

Either way, Bray being there last night to cheer on the team was kind of sad. Hopefully he learns a lesson that will make him change his behavior/shrink his circle.

While I'm gutted - I'm still more encouraged than discouraged. Year ONE people. This was another game where a couple of bounces didn't go our way. We don't need the bounces this year. I'll take em when it matters again. See you Saturday.

Good summary Blue Man.

Thomas played 38 minutes which was a game high. He came out when he injured his ankle in a scramble for a loose ball with about 2 minutes til halftime. He limped badly to the bench and then to the locker room. Had he not injured his ankle/foot Miller might have played him the entire 40 minutes.

When he left the arena he was limping and his ankle/foot was wrapped with clear tape and ice the size of a volleyball.

He had a team high 2 steals. I have not watched the game replay as yet but I can think of several plays where Thomas dove for loose balls, tipped or knocked balls loose but not enough to get credit for a steal. I plan to rewatch the game but I'm sure I'll count many times Thomas hit the floor for loose balls.

Miller talks foremost about effort and attitude. He got that from the team vs VCU.

Thomas had 1 Turnover in 38 minutes. It was a bad one throwing the ball way out of bounds. Miller called an immediate timeout. Nobody in the RC felt worse about that late game TO than Thomas. He sat on his chair for the Time Out discussion with his HC. Thomas was a bit gimpy having had the 1st half injury. Excuse for the Turnover? No.

The players and coaches were crushed by the way they lost as VCU hit the buzzer beater.

What an amazing drive to the hoop by Leggett as he got fouled with 4+ seconds to go. Everyone knew Rhody's best player would be getting the ball, yet Leggett still managed to drive through defenders and got off a shot that just missed going in as he was hacked. Then Leggett sinks the 1st to tie it. Time out by VCU to "ice" Leggett however Leggett with ice in his veins sinks the go ahead FT. 2 pressure FTs!!

The team went through the handshake line dejected then made their way to the locker room. Freeman came over to the bench smiling talking to some people. Nobody on the team was talking, just kind of in shock as would be expected. Seemed odd that he would come over.

Read attached from Friday PROJO by Bill Koch and what Leggett said about Thomas and the game.

The most important recruit for the 2023-2024 season is Leggett. Reading what Leggett said about the VCU effort gives hope that he returns to lead this URI team next season. Leggett's performance this season with effort, clutch plays, FT shooting, rebounding, defense and leadership has been All A10 Conference level.

A few games remaining that some wins could build confidence and Brooklyn could welcome a URI team that others may not want to face.

29F480E3-FB00-44FC-9B3C-85EF6B1E4646.jpeg
I hope Bassy is ready to go today. I'm sure he got through that game on adrenaline and by keeping it loose. It probably hurt like hell on Thursday. I guess it depends on the severity of the sprain.