The Transfer Carousel - 2022-23

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Re: The Transfer Carousel - 2022

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago Khristian Lander has gone dark. No real updates.

You'd have to think Arch has a serious chance at landing him, right?
Start a fan club!
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

How was their relationship at IU? That's what we don't know. He reclassed and came in early but didn't play much his freshman year with Archie. I wonder if there could have been a problem there. I hope there isn't.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago

How was their relationship at IU? That's what we don't know. He reclassed and came in early but didn't play much his freshman year with Archie. I wonder if there could have been a problem there. I hope there isn't.
I mean he played in 26 games and got 10 mins. Not bad for a freshman coming in at a school like IU.

He entered the portal after Arch was fired. His shooting numbers improved, but his games were cut in half and his minutes shrunk.

If he's after minutes...it just so happens we have minutes available. If you go and grab him, there's your starting PG.

Low expectations. Couple of years to grow. Bassy slots in as a backup. Would assume you play Carey as your 2 guard. Martin as your 3.

But that's the makings of a competent A-10 backcourt. I mean he was linked with Evansville...not like we're fighting Duke.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago

I mean he played in 26 games and got 10 mins. Not bad for a freshman coming in at a school like IU.

He entered the portal after Arch was fired. His shooting numbers improved, but his games were cut in half and his minutes shrunk.

If he's after minutes...it just so happens we have minutes available. If you go and grab him, there's your starting PG.

Low expectations. Couple of years to grow. Bassy slots in as a backup. Would assume you play Carey as your 2 guard. Martin as your 3.

But that's the makings of a competent A-10 backcourt. I mean he was linked with Evansville...not like we're fighting Duke.
Still need shooters Blue Man, major problem from last season.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

We need everyone.
Slava Ukraini!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody74 wrote: 2 years ago We need everyone.
True story
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Yeah exactly. I think if you can get a 5 star pass-first PG, you can attract a shooter who wants to play here.

Ideally you find a dead-eye for your 2 guard, and a stretch 4 like what PC had in Horchler.

It's not an overnight process. I'm not worried if we don't get those guys this year (though I have faith in Archie that he will).

But if you can get a stud PG who can be here for 3 years, you go get that kid. Use him to recruit and build around.

The waves you made with Archie, Archie can make with a 5 star kid.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago

Still need shooters Blue Man, major problem from last season.
IU Message Board thread on Lander.

https://indiana.forums.rivals.com/threa ... al.221014/
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Except that Evansville is where he's from. Not trying to be negative. I hope he comes here.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Yeah exactly. I think if you can get a 5 star pass-first PG, you can attract a shooter who wants to play here.

Ideally you find a dead-eye for your 2 guard, and a stretch 4 like what PC had in Horchler.

It's not an overnight process. I'm not worried if we don't get those guys this year (though I have faith in Archie that he will).

But if you can get a stud PG who can be here for 3 years, you go get that kid. Use him to recruit and build around.

The waves you made with Archie, Archie can make with a 5 star kid.
Can't wait until we get him and people dismiss the kid and don't count it as "recruiting a 5 star" because he wasn't a high school senior! Only a transfer!

:roll: :roll:
Go Rhody
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

round and round the carousel goes and where it stops, nobody knows

Just gotta trust that Archie is being the best Archie that Archie can be
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

From reading the IU board, it seems like Lander just wasn't ready for D1, especially a big program like Indiana.

But it looks like he still has a lot of potential, and the A10 might be a perfect fit for him.

With 3 years eligibility left, I hope we get him.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

There is usually plausible deniability for the head coach. Guess who is Archie's man?
NCAAs or Bust!
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I feel like we would have a better chance landing Rob Phinisee. I remember watching him drop 20 against Purdue this year and had the game-winner...He was incredible. But that was by far his best game of the year.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago From reading the IU board, it seems like Lander just wasn't ready for D1, especially a big program like Indiana.

But it looks like he still has a lot of potential, and the A10 might be a perfect fit for him.

With 3 years eligibility left, I hope we get him.
I think 3 years is key as well, Bone. Gives Archie time to really put his imprint on the player.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago There is usually plausible deniability for the head coach. Guess who is Archie's man?
You! You are! ....right?
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

I noticed that Mike Jones from Davidson is,in the portal. Guessing that any McKillop player would do well with Archie. it would be awfully nice to have a 6’5” excellent shooting guard. I know he is from Minnesota ,so not really sure if we would have a chance

Anyone have any insight on him ?
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Forgot to mention -he shot 42% on threes last year and 85% free throws. 👍👍
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

McRam wrote: 2 years ago I noticed that Mike Jones from Davidson is,in the portal. Guessing that any McKillop player would do well with Archie. it would be awfully nice to have a 6’5” excellent shooting guard. I know he is from Minnesota ,so not really sure if we would have a chance

I agree and listed him earlier in the A10 Outlook thread.

He would be a great fit, but doubt he will stay in the A10.

I am sure there will be good programs in the Midwest looking at him, possibly Creighton, he fits their style.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

RhodyKyle wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago There is usually plausible deniability for the head coach. Guess who is Archie's man?
You! You are! ....right?
No.
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Slava Ukraini!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

reef wrote: 2 years ago
SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody74 wrote: 2 years ago
Thanks! Profile now setup over here.
Wow Arch and staff must be quite busy scouting game tape of the portal palooza
Arch Madness!
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

McRam wrote: 2 years ago I noticed that Mike Jones from Davidson is,in the portal. Guessing that any McKillop player would do well with Archie. it would be awfully nice to have a 6’5” excellent shooting guard. I know he is from Minnesota ,so not really sure if we would have a chance

Consensus I've seen is that he's probably going Power 6.
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

Common sense is not common.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

RhodyRams12 wrote: 2 years ago
Let's go!

I really like that we are going after guards from great programs. It doesn't mean we can't find some talent at lesser programs but I want guys that played and practiced against high major talent. Foster Loyer did nothing at Michigan ST and he came in and killed it for Davidson. Let's hope Archie can find a few guys that can do that for us.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Found some good info on Toussaint here: https://www.blackheartgoldpants.com/202 ... ffery-bhgp
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Good defender but led Iowa in turnovers. From the Bronx and was recruited by Dayton out of high school.
Slava Ukraini!
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

This would be a very good get. Good defender and playmaker who has played quality minutes in many big games. Physical lead guard who would double his output in the A10. Good from the foul line and had a two to one assist to turnover ratio. Has experience running a very good motion offense and willingness to create and play unselfishly. We have plenty of minutes to offer this your man and the keys to the car.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

He played on some great Iowa teams behind Bohannon so his playing time was low , I would love to get him
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

LIRAM wrote: 2 years ago This would be a very good get. Good defender and playmaker who has played quality minutes in many big games. Physical lead guard who would double his output in the A10. Good from the foul line and had a two to one assist to turnover ratio. Has experience running a very good motion offense and willingness to create and play unselfishly. We have plenty of minutes to offer this your man and the keys to the car.
One of the things I found interesting in the article above was this statement: "his style felt a little at odds with Fran McCaffery’s motion offense".

I've never seen the kid play so I have no idea, but it stood out to me knowing that Archie runs a motion offense to.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Recruiting thread now created for Toussaint:

viewtopic.php?t=9228
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

I like seeing us involved with kids being offered by P5's again. That was missing.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago I like seeing us involved with kids being offered by P5's again. That was missing.
I like seeing us involved with literally anyone lol.

It seemed like besides Brafford, there was actual zero involvement with other prospects.

Chance was wrapped up early so I don't count that as being "involved" seeing how we had him committed for a while.
Go Rhody
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

This thread is so indicative of how college basketball has devolved. The constant transfers are bad for the game.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

RF1, you and I seem to be in the minority on this one. I think the rule should be, coaching change…free no wait transfer. Otherwise sit a year, or if for a valid emergency/hardship, apply for a waiver.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Toussaint is lighting fast and quick. I don't think I saw a quicker guy all year.. He would be a stud recruit. It's almost laughable to see some look at his stats and a guy like Rob Phinisee and say no thanks. But that's internet recruiting. Thankfully Archie is making assessments and decisions.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

There are close to 1,000 guys in the portal already and growing daily.. plenty of players plenty of time. There is a solid core already.. Archie hasn't even announced his staff who will also have connections. Anyone that's worried about getting players and having a solid team , lacks any type of patience and faith. We have a stud coach, I think he knows what he's doing and what he will do
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

giovanni wrote: 2 years ago There are close to 1,000 guys in the portal already and growing daily.. plenty of players plenty of time. There is a solid core already.. Archie hasn't even announced his staff who will also have connections. Anyone that's worried about getting players and having a solid team , lacks any type of patience and faith. We have a stud coach, I think he knows what he's doing and what he will do
I don't think anybody is nervous or has concerns about how Archie will construct his roster.

As for 22-23 I don't have high expectations understanding this will take time.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Makes a good point.

GO RAMS
Big Rhody Guy
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Big Rhody Guy »

I went to Iowa for grad school and I LOVE Joe T. He’s an absolute pit bull on both ends of the court. He can’t shoot from outside at all so we would really need some help spreading the floor if he was our full time point but he can get in the lane at will and just brings constant chaotic energy. Never really had a chance to flourish at Iowa as Fran prefers shooters and Jordan Bohanan just refused to graduate and give up his PG minutes.
@Bigrhodyguy on Twitter
Blogging for fun @ https://bigrhodyguy.wixsite.com/website
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

giovanni wrote: 2 years ago Toussaint is lighting fast and quick. I don't think I saw a quicker guy all year.. He would be a stud recruit. It's almost laughable to see some look at his stats and a guy like Rob Phinisee and say no thanks. But that's internet recruiting. Thankfully Archie is making assessments and decisions.
Guys, slow down on Toussaint. He can't shoot a jump shot. Good on the ball defender and a satisfactory penetrator. Has a solid, sturdy build. That's his game.

Everybody jumps out of their seat when they see a guy in the transfer portal. Whoa nellie!
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago
giovanni wrote: 2 years ago Toussaint is lighting fast and quick. I don't think I saw a quicker guy all year.. He would be a stud recruit. It's almost laughable to see some look at his stats and a guy like Rob Phinisee and say no thanks. But that's internet recruiting. Thankfully Archie is making assessments and decisions.
Guys, slow down on Toussaint. He can't shoot a jump shot. Good on the ball defender and a satisfactory penetrator. Has a solid, sturdy build. That's his game.

Everybody jumps out of their seat when they see a guy in the transfer portal. Whoa nellie!
Have you watched Toussaint, or are you looking at his stats? He can't hit the 3 but can break down the D, set players up, and finish down low. WIth his speed and handle, he's perfect for a high-paced offense like Archie's system. He's excellent in the pick and roll and will bully guards in the A10. On the other side, he would be one of the best defensive guards in the conference.

Toussaint would be a fantastic get for any team in the A10.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago Makes a good point.

I did not read the twitter thread but the NCAA not counting the 2020-2021 season as a year of eligibility is what hurts the players coming out of high school for a few more recruiting cycles more than anything else. The NCAA rule that allows players to transfer without sitting out a year actually helps make scholarships available as players were still receiving a scholarship while sitting out the year.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

giovanni wrote: 2 years ago There are close to 1,000 guys in the portal already and growing daily.. plenty of players plenty of time. There is a solid core already.. Archie hasn't even announced his staff who will also have connections. Anyone that's worried about getting players and having a solid team , lacks any type of patience and faith. We have a stud coach, I think he knows what he's doing and what he will do
Who is this "solid core" of which you speak?
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Wow, that kid is fearless. and he was only a freshman. He's only going to get better, if they can get him, get him.
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago This thread is so indicative of how college basketball has devolved. The constant transfers are bad for the game.
Make them sit out a year unless the coach leaves. Something like that. This isn't good for the sport.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago
Who is this "solid core" of which you speak?
Martin, Ish, and Carey are definitely solid. Will excel in Archies system. Trust Arch to bring in a guard and forward through the portal and enjoy the ride.

Give to Rhody's NIL
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 2 years ago
RF1 wrote: 2 years ago This thread is so indicative of how college basketball has devolved. The constant transfers are bad for the game.
Make them sit out a year unless the coach leaves. Something like that. This isn't good for the sport.
Just like chemistry and engineering majors have to, when they switch schools.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

It's amazing how many people only like college basketball when the players are getting screwed
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines