Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 2 years ago Where did I make that an issue? I have no problem with the wbb donor or his donation.
Read your own posts. I’m not the only one who noticed.

Every school needs and wants donors and should treat them with appreciation and respect.
I dont know why you’re trying to make an issue out when their isn’t one. Again, i have no issue, guy. Get bent.
:lol:
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 2 years ago
KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 2 years ago Where did I make that an issue? I have no problem with the wbb donor or his donation.
Read your own posts. I’m not the only one who noticed.

Every school needs and wants donors and should treat them with appreciation and respect.
I dont know why you’re trying to make an issue out when their isn’t one. Again, i have no issue, guy. Get bent.
Right here

I heard the massive donation to WBB during the day of giving came from a providence strip club owner. take it with a grain of salt, but I heard it.

Who cares if you hear it? Who cares what he owns or doesn’t own.

What was your intent with this statement? It certainly wasn’t in the best interest of the donor or the university of Rhode Island or the womens basketball program to which he directly donated.

Your post was going to have nothing good come from it, only bad. But you can’t see that?

Get lost you 6 week posting troll.
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Just facts, I didn’t disparaging. Again no issue. Do want you want with it.

He’s chosen great programs to invest in.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

You did disparage.
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

‘Take it with a grain of salt’ is about the rumor you dunce. As in may or may not be true.

Not the donor.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 2 years ago ‘Take it with a grain of salt’ is about the rumor you dunce. As in may or may not be true.

Not the donor.
I heard the massive donation to WBB during the day of giving came from a providence strip club owner

Saying what the donor owns was your purpose of the statement. Your statement was to undermine the donor, the university and the womens basketball team.
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Whatever you say, bud.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 2 years ago ‘Take it with a grain of salt’ is about the rumor you dunce. As in may or may not be true.

Not the donor.
I heard the massive donation to WBB during the day of giving came from a providence strip club owner

Saying what the donor owns was your purpose of the statement. Your statement was to undermine the donor, the university and the womens basketball team.
Friar students need some place to have fun. Glad a URI grad can provide it for them.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago

Harvard is in the city of Boston. Parking fees everywhere plus parking garages. People expect to pay to park.
Kingston RI is farm country. Nobody pays to park, not even at the Kingston Train Station.
Would have been a good question for Our AD on the recent Podcast.
Harvard is in Cambridge, a separate city though it's unclear if the stadium area is in Cambridge or in Allston, which is in Boston - it's pretty close to the border and I don't feel like looking it up. That said, I'd expect to pay at some facilities, like fenway, the garden, etc. Harvard, maybe/maybe not.

BU's Agannis Arena you have to pay to park in their lot. However, Emmanuel you don't (or at least I didn't a few years ago when my niece played softball for them), I am not sure about other venues. I did see URI at Northeastern years ago and I don't recall paying for parking.
I took the Red Line to Harvard then walked to the Basketball Arena. The parking all along the walk was limited and paid. It’s a city environment nothing at all like our sleepy, farming community where no parking charges are in place anywhere but at beaches in the summer.

3F5FDB75-E493-4ECC-9995-D2120C14F795.jpeg
How was the walk from the T? I was going to do that (or ride my bike to the game) but figured I’d be too lazy for either when it was over.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Harvard is in Cambridge, a separate city though it's unclear if the stadium area is in Cambridge or in Allston, which is in Boston - it's pretty close to the border and I don't feel like looking it up. That said, I'd expect to pay at some facilities, like fenway, the garden, etc. Harvard, maybe/maybe not.

BU's Agannis Arena you have to pay to park in their lot. However, Emmanuel you don't (or at least I didn't a few years ago when my niece played softball for them), I am not sure about other venues. I did see URI at Northeastern years ago and I don't recall paying for parking.
I took the Red Line to Harvard then walked to the Basketball Arena. The parking all along the walk was limited and paid. It’s a city environment nothing at all like our sleepy, farming community where no parking charges are in place anywhere but at beaches in the summer.

3F5FDB75-E493-4ECC-9995-D2120C14F795.jpeg
How was the walk from the T? I was going to do that (or ride my bike to the game) but figured I’d be too lazy for either when it was over.
It was an easy walk. Lots of students around. Nice walk across the bridge. Took the T from Back Bay orange line to Downtown Crossing to catch the Red Line
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

RoadyJay wrote: 2 years ago
GansettSummer wrote: 2 years ago
This has been stated somewhere here before but Spectra doesn't own the Ryan Center, the university does. They manage it on behalf of the university and the budget also comes from URI.
Good point. If that is the case then we need to be speaking with whoever from the University manages the Spectra relationship and their budget.

Anyone here know who that is?

Yes, it's Leah Becki. She's a very nice person. It's beyond her control, I've discussed the Wifi concerns with her before.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago
KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 2 years ago
section(105) wrote: 2 years ago ……..parking fees?……anyone?……..anyone?……..my point for going down this road was to stimulate discussion on the concept……..my issue is that the revenue options to get us off the porch are very limited, no?……more state funding? Doubtful……..deep pocket donor? Doubtful………alcohol sales? Likely………sear licenses?……….doubtful……….increase individual donors?…….sure, show me wins first, coupled with major donor campaigns……….so fill in the blanks, where else can the needed funds come from?……….increase in student activity fees?……….doubtful……..Maybe I am already paying for parking fees in my minimum donor level with near by parking to the RC with pass and gate keeper to get into that lot………I get what you all are saying about no parking fees and why………but when we dip into our pockets for parking fees elsewhere we probably pay it, mentally complain, the move into the venue……….hey, I never thought I would be paying for parking at local beaches, but here we are………we all wanna have the resources to annually compete at high levels in our league, but where is the funding to so gonna come from for ole State U?………I/ll bet in revenue brain storming meetings in the Athletic Department and the Foundation parking fees are on the table……..tell me where I am off the track here…….
I heard the massive donation to WBB during the day of giving came from a providence strip club owner. take it with a grain of salt, but I heard it. lets just say that is true for a moment. you're telling me with the amount of MBB alum, some of these guys can't kick back a bit? or a bit more? I put this one on the athletic dept and alumi dept. maybe time to work those phones a bit harder. or some personal calls from the AD and current coach to solicit. maybe Thor and DC are already doing that, I don't know but I doubt either have reached out to the big Cat, lamar, or wheeler. I'm not saying these guys should fork over their bank account or they should be the sole focus of funds but they're certainly the most recent notables to don the Keaney Blue. notable alum can certainly be the straw that stirs the drink and influence others.

beyond that, it's a fact, when football does well, everyone does well. that's every school. see where I'm going?? Football literally carries athletic departments and its non revenue programs all over the country. I truthfully don't think we have that. sure we have some deep pocket donors from that program but they're investing in their program. and I applaud that. they should. just like MBB alum should invest in their program. I don't think they do.
The donation came from Charlie Tapalian, not sure if they're the same person as H. Charles Tapalian who owned and operated Cheaters

Cheaters doesn't exist anymore. My neighbor owns Fantasies, I can ask him?
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

Unread post by RhodyFanNotAlum »

YEAH BABY. Drink responsibly, people.

BEER AND WINE SALES NOW AT CONCESSION STANDS: Beer and wine will now be served on a trial basis at the concession stands. Patrons will now be permitted to take back drinks to their seats with a maximum of two (2) drinks per purchase. Beer and wine service will end at the start of the second half.

Beer and wine will be available at limited concession stands for the first few games including; Event Level - North Courtside Storage, Concourse Level -East and West Concourse concession stands, and at the South Concourse (where Rhody Pub previously was). All patrons will be required to have a dedicated wristband to purchase or consume beer and wine. Dedicated wristband stands will be on the North Concourse and also available at every point of sale for patrons age 21 and above (with valid ID). Anyone consuming alcohol without the proper wristband is subject to identification verfication along with confiscation of the beverage and turned over to proper authorities if found consuming alcohol unlawfully.
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

Couldn’t believe it when I read the email this morning
Common sense is not common.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Huzzah
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

How much are the wristbands?
Mobley was fouled.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Finally. Geez this should have been done while Hurley was leading us to consecutive NCAA tournaments.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Going to need the ushers on point not allowing people back to the seats until a break in the action, but otherwise this is a great change
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

ATPTourFan wrote: 2 years ago Finally. Geez this should have been done while Hurley was leading us to consecutive NCAA tournaments.
That would have been great, but I think we need it more now....
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Great news! Dooley wouldn’t allow it.

Thank you, President Parlange!
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Wow it’s finally happening!!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

…….wonder how much that will move the attendance needle?……….but great news, put more pub height tables around the concessions……..now RC fix the display for replays……..
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Awesome, if we ever have a chance!
GO RAMS
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

……..I guess some drafts would be asking too much…….I should just shut up and enjoy…….go Rhody…….
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Glad its happening- only took the program to go on a decline/Covid and other lost revenue to force their hands.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Rhodyram wrote: 2 years ago Glad its happening- only took the program to go on a decline/Covid and other lost revenue to force their hands.
Perfect timing to introduce a revenue boost for a bust of a season.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Rhodyram wrote: 2 years ago Glad its happening- only took the program to go on a decline/Covid and other lost revenue to force their hands.
Isn’t that the truth. Everyone says they hold things to high standard or they won’t change policies until they start to lose money or face hard times. The crowds going forward will be 3000 at best of actual fans in the seats. They n Ed every dime they can get
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

RamStock wrote: 2 years ago
Isn’t that the truth. Everyone says they hold things to high standard or they won’t change policies until they start to lose money or face hard times. The crowds going forward will be 3000 at best of actual fans in the seats. They n Ed every dime they can get
Imagine the $$$$ that they could have raked in selling brews to those crowds in the Hurley years.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Rhodyram wrote: 2 years ago
Imagine the $$$$ that they could have raked in selling brews to those crowds in the Hurley years.
It looks like the Carothers Era policies have finally unwound themselves for the most part.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Could have paid for that magical practice facility.
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Spilt milk
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago
SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago

Well then, if I take my Keaney Blue glasses off, you could say the same about us. Is Rhode Island some far more attractive job than UMass? I don’t think so. Lots of the same candidates being floated.

Point is, don’t dismiss immediately that there isn’t any advantage with Bamford’s approach.

Will be fascinating to see how this all plays out.
I like to think I can examine it objectively, but man, I don't see how UMass and URI are equal jobs. URI has been successful recently, with a pretty good on-campus arena. Even if you have questions about whether the administration will pony up to keep you, well, if you win, you can get a better job. Hurley, Harrick and Skinner went on to better jobs, and Baron got 10+ years here and an offer from Virginia Tech. UMass has been in the NCAA tournament once this century. It's not a coaching graveyard like Duquesne and La Salle, but I'd consider Richmond more of a rival for us, if they get rid of Mooney, than UMass.
Just want to chime in that our Ryan Center is a really good on campus arena. It's as nice looking as it's larger counter parts, but I've been to a few arena's now and it stacks up.

I've been to UVA's John Paul Jones arena and the Ryan Center looks just as nice just smaller.

Was just at a Tennessee UGA game at Stegeman colliseum and that place is a DUMP. Like the Ryan Center embarasses big ol UGA's arena. Just made me think like "wow we really do have a nice arena"

Only Dayton's is better in the A-10 imo.

Just need replay and wifi damn it...
Bringing this thread back since we don't want our threads about coaching failures to get bogged down with our talk about our infrastructure failures.

It's like showing up to a race with a 7 speed porsche, but not knowing how to drive stick.

I'm sick of the excuses here. Every other arena I've been to this year - Dunk, Gampel, XL - all have replay. Other A-10 programs have replay.

All those other arenas have easy to access public wifi or a cellular repeater that lets you get signal.

I didn't have issues checking scores on my ESPN app or sending pictures/texts.

The Ryan Center is literally a time machine back to 2007. It's unacceptable in this day and age to be unplugged. Sad or not, it's the reality.

People work. People gamble. People want to see other games. People want to communicate. That's society today.

And with a bad team - people literally have to decide if it's worth going off the grid for a few hours to be subjected to watching this team.

After a coaching change, and the necessary infrastructure upgrades that come with (practice facility, coaches pool, charters), this needs to be the next thing on the list.

Get wifi, get replays.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago

I like to think I can examine it objectively, but man, I don't see how UMass and URI are equal jobs. URI has been successful recently, with a pretty good on-campus arena. Even if you have questions about whether the administration will pony up to keep you, well, if you win, you can get a better job. Hurley, Harrick and Skinner went on to better jobs, and Baron got 10+ years here and an offer from Virginia Tech. UMass has been in the NCAA tournament once this century. It's not a coaching graveyard like Duquesne and La Salle, but I'd consider Richmond more of a rival for us, if they get rid of Mooney, than UMass.
Just want to chime in that our Ryan Center is a really good on campus arena. It's as nice looking as it's larger counter parts, but I've been to a few arena's now and it stacks up.

I've been to UVA's John Paul Jones arena and the Ryan Center looks just as nice just smaller.

Was just at a Tennessee UGA game at Stegeman colliseum and that place is a DUMP. Like the Ryan Center embarasses big ol UGA's arena. Just made me think like "wow we really do have a nice arena"

Bringing this thread back since we don't want our threads about coaching failures to get bogged down with our talk about our infrastructure failures.

It's like showing up to a race with a 7 speed porsche, but not knowing how to drive stick.

I'm sick of the excuses here. Every other arena I've been to this year - Dunk, Gampel, XL - all have replay. Other A-10 programs have replay.

All those other arenas have easy to access public wifi or a cellular repeater that lets you get signal.

The Ryan Center is literally a time machine back to 2007. It's unacceptable in this day and age to be unplugged. Sad or not, it's the reality.

People work. People gamble. People want to see other games. People want to communicate. That's society today.

And with a bad team - people literally have to decide if it's worth going off the grid for a few hours to be subjected to watching this team.

After a coaching change, and the necessary infrastructure upgrades that come with (practice facility, coaches pool, charters), this needs to be the next thing on the list.

Get wifi, get replays.
All these things are great to complain about but the question is who is ultimately responsible to make these things happen?

Many on this board are donors, season ticket holders, alum, etc. and I really believe we can help influence. But, if we don’t know the person(s) to influence then we are just complaining.

Let’s get the names and craft a thoughtful letter to see if we can help progress these obvious improvements.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

Get wifi, get replays.
All these things are great to complain about but the question is who is ultimately responsible to make these things happen?

Many on this board are donors, season ticket holders, alum, etc. and I really believe we can help influence. But, if we don’t know the person(s) to influence then we are just complaining.

Let’s get the names and craft a thoughtful letter to see if we can help progress these obvious improvements.
That's the one thing I don't understand and never really have. Is it athletics? Is it the Ryan Center? Is it Learfield?

Anyone know?
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

That's the one thing I don't understand and never really have. Is it athletics? Is it the Ryan Center? Is it Learfield?

Anyone know?
Agree with you on this. It may be part of the problem. Maybe they don’t know either.

I’d love to see this board be more than a message board. I think if we became more organized we could really have some influence. Maybe something for the mods to consider. I for one would volunteer to help in any way I can.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Get wifi, get replays.

Let's organize it!
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Get wifi, get replays.

Anyone know?
Who do we ask and how do we ask?
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Get wifi, get replays.

Anyone know?

Bryant (!!!!) has replays, and no masks.

I repeat, Bryant has replays.

And we don't.
Go Rhody
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Anyone know?
Who do we ask and how do we ask?
I'd start with an email sent to all of these people at once.

tbjorn@uri.edu
bmiles@uri.edu
vturco@uri.edu
noreena@uri.edu
lisa_furlong@uri.edu
ptesta@uri.edu
bboesch@uri.edu
mmoeller@theryancenter.com
ndistasio@uri.edu
ConventionCenters@spectraxp.com
VenueManagement@spectraxp.com
SpectraSolves@spectraxp.com
Sales@spectraxp.com
Partnerships@spectraxp.com
president@uri.edu
uribot@uri.edu
tylerhastedt@uri.edu
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

……who to ask…….back on page 62 here, there was a reference on Spectra(company that manages the RC?)as where the problem lies…….and I recall, someone saying here, the capability to show re-plays exists and additional training is needed for operators of the system………or I am making shit up…….again……
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Well well well, looks like URI is dropping the mask mandate Friday at 5 pm.

I wonder how sad people are who said that the mandate would be in place from the next 3+ years? Must be devastating new to them. Tough day.

Like I said a million times the last few months, ZERO chance The Ryan Center has masks next season.
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago Well well well, looks like URI is dropping the mask mandate Friday at 5 pm.

I wonder how sad people are who said that the mandate would be in place from the next 3+ years? Must be devastating new to them. Tough day.

Like I said a million times the last few months, ZERO chance The Ryan Center has masks next season.
Dude. You're clowning yourself. Who would be sad about the mask requirement being dropped?
Or, maybe you are just projecting?

Do you think the people that said we'd suck this year are happy that we do? Does being "right" mean that much to you? Never mind a tough day, must be a tough 'life' for you?
Last edited by NYGFan_Section208 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago Well well well, looks like URI is dropping the mask mandate Friday at 5 pm.

yes, i heard that Covid was leaving town on Friday at 4:55pm, so thats a good move by Rhody.

"sniffles"
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 years ago

yes, i heard that Covid was leaving town on Friday at 4:55pm, so thats a good move by Rhody.

"sniffles"
We better watch out though, covid could catch us tonight at the game! But not Friday!

What a joke.
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 years ago

"sniffles"
Wake me up when you're at a men's hoops game at the Ry w/o a mask :roll: (For Rhody15: I sincerely hope it's opening day next year, because I know it's crucial to you (for the "millionth time", lol) that you be "right" :lol:
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

! Message from: ATPTourFan
OK that's quite enough.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I could never be a Moderator on this site. LOL.
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

ROUGH DRAFT - Please provide feedback

***MODS if you do not think it is appropriate to send this letter out on behalf of Keaney Blue please let me know. Obviously will not consider sending without your approval***

To whom it may concern,

We are members of an online URI Basketball Forum called Keaney Blue (keaneyblue.com). We have over 1200 members including donors, season ticket holders, lifelong fans, casual fans, and others interested in URI Basketball.

We are writing you to request that you address two issues that are impacting the in-game experience at the Ryan Center.

First, Wi-Fi and mobile phone service inside the Ryan Center are a source of great frustration for fans. Today’s fan cannot be in a connectivity black hole. The ability to maintain digital habits while attending games is important and should not be underestimated. Fans want to read email, post on social media, and text the babysitter to check on the kids. This is not possible at the Ryan Center.

Also, costs to attend a basketball game are not insignificant – you have to travel there, you have to buy tickets, and in all likelihood purchase food and beverages. Facilities with great in-venue connectivity are helping to ensure that fans want to make that investment and they want to come back.

Without Wi-Fi you are missing out on an opportunity to leverage analytics tools to better understand the fans, gaining valuable insights – both in terms of marketing and operations.

Certainly, we recognize there are costs involved in bringing fan-facing Wi-Fi to the Ryan Center, however we suggest that you reach out to your peers at Rutgers University regarding the DIY Wi-Fi they installed in 2020 for a total price tag of ~$62,000 (https://www.mobilesportsreport.com/2020 ... all-arena/). Rutgers has an 8,000-seat basketball arena and therefore a good comparison to the Ryan Center.

Second, we have modern video boards in the Ryan Center which are the same used at the TD Garden, yet we have never been able to show replays. Replays will make the in-stadium experience better and help narrow the gap between watching the game on the couch and from the stadium seat. There is no additional cost to implement, as we already have the technology in place.

We understand that it may be the Atlantic 10 conference that is disallowing the use of replays. If that is the case, would you please provide us with that policy and a contact at the Atlantic 10 that we may reach out to?

We respectfully request that you provide a response on the status and details on future plans to implement Wi-Fi and replays at the Ryan Center.

Regards,

Keaney Blue
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

RoadyJay wrote: 2 years ago ROUGH DRAFT - Please provide feedback

***MODS if you do not think it is appropriate to send this letter out on behalf of Keaney Blue please let me know. Obviously will not consider sending without your approval***

To whom it may concern,

We are members of an online URI Basketball Forum called Keaney Blue (keaneyblue.com). We have over 1200 members including donors, season ticket holders, lifelong fans, casual fans, and others interested in URI Basketball.

We are writing you to request that you address two issues that are impacting the in-game experience at the Ryan Center.

First, Wi-Fi and mobile phone service inside the Ryan Center are a source of great frustration for fans. Today’s fan cannot be in a connectivity black hole. The ability to maintain digital habits while attending games is important and should not be underestimated. Fans want to read email, post on social media, and text the babysitter to check on the kids. This is not possible at the Ryan Center.

Also, costs to attend a basketball game are not insignificant – you have to travel there, you have to buy tickets, and in all likelihood purchase food and beverages. Facilities with great in-venue connectivity are helping to ensure that fans want to make that investment and they want to come back.

Without Wi-Fi you are missing out on an opportunity to leverage analytics tools to better understand the fans, gaining valuable insights – both in terms of marketing and operations.

Certainly, we recognize there are costs involved in bringing fan-facing Wi-Fi to the Ryan Center, however we suggest that you reach out to your peers at Rutgers University regarding the DIY Wi-Fi they installed in 2020 for a total price tag of ~$62,000 (https://www.mobilesportsreport.com/2020 ... all-arena/). Rutgers has an 8,000-seat basketball arena and therefore a good comparison to the Ryan Center.

Second, we have modern video boards in the Ryan Center which are the same used at the TD Garden, yet we have never been able to show replays. Replays will make the in-stadium experience better and help narrow the gap between watching the game on the couch and from the stadium seat. There is no additional cost to implement, as we already have the technology in place.

We understand that it may be the Atlantic 10 conference that is disallowing the use of replays. If that is the case, would you please provide us with that policy and a contact at the Atlantic 10 that we may reach out to?

We respectfully request that you provide a response on the status and details on future plans to implement Wi-Fi and replays at the Ryan Center.

Regards,

Keaney Blue
Love it. Yes.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RoadyJay,

As one who has complained about Wi-Fi in the past, I must say that this season I’ve had no issues. I even watched the WBB game in my phone one game as it was the same game time away as a MBB game.

I could not even check espn scores in the past but this year has been fine.

Consider also Scott Brand’s last interview with President Parlange when he said he would look into it but he himself had no issues and even had a zoom call during a game.

Could URI have fixed it and not said anything?

Is my t-mobile account just better this year with reception?

Curious what others who go to the games have experienced this year. Great for me but atrocious the past 5+ years.

There is so much to complain about I wouldn’t want you to not get the latest observations on Wi-Fi only to find out they actually did something to improve things here.

I do use my carrier. I do not use the URI Wi-Fi because it’s bad. Used to be my carrier didn’t work either but it does now.

Again curious what others have seen.