Not All Conspiracies are Fake: Archie Miller Next HC of URI

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Re: The Archie Miller Conspiracy Thread.

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
RI_Bred wrote: 2 years ago
giovanni wrote: 2 years ago I wouldn't doubt Xavier, I just hadn't heard that. NC St most likely will be open and is his alma mater, where he was a good player. That seems like a very probable match, not to mention power conference money.
Tough job. Have they even been somewhat decent since Valvano? I'm sure they've had a couple years, but typically just bad. They'd probably salivate over obtaining Miller's services. Alum AND proven winner. Tasty.
Actually, if the NC State position opens up and there is mutual strong interest with Archie, Kevin Keatts would be an interesting candidate here.
Not a lot of buzz to fire him from what I can tell.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
scine20 wrote: 2 years ago Blue Man, how long did it take you to write that? Forgetting the content, which was terrific, but I didn’t even see grammatical errors like someone would normally find in a post of that length. Props!
I was too jacked up after a long drive and had too many thoughts in my head. I am not sure.

What I will say is that this is the most I've felt for this program in 2+ years. I am very concerned for my health if I am wrong.
Send an ambulance to Blue Man's house if we retain Cox 😂
He’ll need a hearse.
Slava Ukraini!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

But what about a Georgetown or Seton Hall or Butler which all could open up and he seems like a good fit in BE. Those are the jobs I’m concerned about too.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Isn’t Georgetown extending Ewing?
GO RAMS
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I mean it is tough to compete with a school that pays a coach $4M a year that goes 0-16 in conference play. I would do it for $2M.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I’m still not sure why people think he will get a similar level job…unless everyone in college basketball thinks Indiana made a horrible mistake. Can people please share some examples of guys getting canned then jumping right to another big time gig?

I think they made a mistake and want him, but the optics of hiring a guy who just got fired by a school on your level seems hard to sell unless there is some connection…ie Pitt.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Reminds me a lot of St Louis and Travis Ford. Coached UMASS, succeeds then goes to Oklahoma State, succeeds there until he ran out of steam, and returned to the A10 where he’s had success as well.
GO RAMS
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

That’s what I’m thinking too.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I too think that Archie might be OK with a high mid major job.

In the A10, it would be either be Richmond or us. VCU, Dayton, and St. Louis won't be changing coaches.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago I too think that Archie might be OK with a high mid major job.

In the A10, it would be either be Richmond or us. VCU, Dayton, and St. Louis won't be changing coaches.
We’d just need to come up with the money.
Slava Ukraini!
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Most of these guys would coach Ponaganset if the money was right.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago I too think that Archie might be OK with a high mid major job.

I'd be willing to bet that Richmond won't be changing coaches either.
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by daytonflyerfan »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago If the movers and shakers [read big boosters] want Archie, then it's just a matter of, would he want/take the job?

It would be great if thru the grapevine someone could gauge his interest.

If he has interest, than URI has to go for it.

Thorr, want to make a LOT of money for the athletic dept/school?

We're back on the national map if this happens.

daytonflyerfan will hate us, but so be it lol.......
Yes, yes I would hate you. I think IU made a mistake firing him, especially since they paid him $10 million to leave, I think he deserved another year there. I like his offensive and defensive schemes, my one complaint is that he stubbornly refused to hardly ever play a zone defense at Dayton.

He basically publicly rejected the NC State job when he was at UD. He was rumored to have been offered several p5 jobs that he rejected while he was at UD, and he chose to stay at UD: NC State, Pittsburgh, Texas, Tennessee, Florida, and Alabama.

There were some off the court problems at UD though with some of his players, and some fans felt like he thought he was better than UD/he was conceited. Some UD fans do not speak well of him. I have read similar complaints from IU fans on the internet about him taking himself too seriously, low energy, robotic, closed off, disinterested in the fans/the community/the tradition of the program, never engaged with the fans, stoic, humorless, distant, no connection with the fans, etc. All of this may just be bitterness over him leaving UD and bitterness among IU fans for not winning more. After all, all of those complaints likely get ignored if he had stayed at UD or won big at IU, everybody likes a winner.

https://www.insidethehall.com/2021/05/0 ... -miller-3/

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/archie- ... was-fired/

But, he won a ton of games at UD, and I think he is a fantastic x's and o's guy. I don't know if some people don't like him because of his "Archie" Bunker personality, or if he really is a bit of an arrogant, conceited prick, I have never met him. His public persona while coaching games, doing pressers, dealing with the media, etc., I never had any problem with. So, nobody is perfect.

There were also some complaints from some UD fans who felt that he did not shoot high enough in his recruiting efforts at UD because some fans felt like he felt like UD was not good enough to be able to land some of the better recruits. IMO, his win/loss results speak for themselves as far as any complaints about his recruiting are concerned. Who cares who he recruited? Look at his win/loss record at UD, winning is the goal. I don't know if the complaints were just bitterness over him leaving.

His teams always played hard and smart at UD and looked organized and well-prepared.

If I am not mistaken, he liked to recruit guys that had won big in high school/were tough/played hard/had a good attitude/hustled. He might have placed more value on toughness and having the will to win in his recruits over whatever the recruit's ranking was.

Iinm, many IU fans felt like he lost too many recruiting battles, and that his teams did not play with any fire. I am guessing that he was not able to get his IU teams to play with the same intensity that his UD teams played with. I did not watch his IU teams play. I think part of the problem is getting highly ranked recruits to play hard and bust their ass for you. I think he might be better suited for a non p5 job where he is coaching underdog players that want to bust their ass for him and shock the world with upset wins.

He had a reputation iinm as being a very tough, hard nosed player, that always hustled, at NC State.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

…….that is enough for me……..get Archie…….go Rhody……
Ram logo via Grist 1938
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Good perspective, udflyerfan. Because I refuse to use my time wisely, I did some twitter searching for what some popular Dayton accounts were saying about Archie when he was there. The two biggest gripes were definitely refusal to play zone and press conference answers/demeanor. Other than those and the usual one-game quibbles about substitutions, timeouts, etc that exist with any coach, they didn't have a bad word to say about him.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Wish Archie felt more realistic than some here do.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Chris Caputo (Asst Coach U Miami) is a name being thrown around by the Umass contingent
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Wish Archie felt more realistic than some here do.
Stereotypically, maybe.

But the only people who were saying it was outwardly "unrealistic" were posters on this board. Like this comment here.

I agree it felt like a Christmas wish and a dream until a national basketball writer tweeted, unprovoked, that he had heard "Archie Miller whispers" when referring to the impending URI opening.

So to me, that would say that it's realistic, at a bare minimum.

If it wasn't realistic, Borzello could've just tweeted what we all assumed:

"I could see Pat Skerry, could see John Becker. Bashir Mason, Jared Grasso, names like that."

But he didn't just tweet that, his tweet was "I could see Pat Skerry, could see John Becker There are some Archie Miller Whispers. Bashir Mason, Jared Grasso, names like that."

I agree it would be unbelievable as it would be a huge departure from URI trying to penny pinch and buy a value coach as an up and comer.

To say it isn't realistic is false.

BELIEVE.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Wish Archie felt more realistic than some here do.
I truly don't understand why you're acting like Archie is like coach K or something. He's not unrealstic...
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

I think flyerfan has provided great insights being a Dayton grad , I watched every UD game Archie ever coached . I think Archie might like the challenge of rebuilding the URI program.
He is very familiar with the pluses and minuses of URI . I don't think it is out of the question
that Archie would consider taking over Rhode Island after watching what Dan Hurley was able to accomplish . I'm sure he would believe he could do the same or better. I would love to have him.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago
I truly don't understand why you're acting like Archie is like coach K or something. He's not unrealstic...
Also true. I think Archie is our best REALISTIC option. Is he the best coach in the NCAA? No.

On the surface he's a wildly successful high major coach who couldn't get it done at the P5 level. His star is no longer "rising" and he took his shot to the P5. He also rebuffed an NC State offer at the time you would assume. Because if IU was sniffing, NC State would've at least kicked the tires on their alum who was a rising star at the time.

URI is never going to get a coach without some "warts" - that's just the reality.

Whether there's NCAA sanctions in their past, whether they're unproven, up-and-coming, or whether they're coming from a higher level and "failed" like Archie. No one is going to be a Coach K saying "my dream job was to coach URI."

When you think about it in terms of his "failure" at IU - it wasn't a firing where everyone said "IU IS SO STUPID HOW COULD THEY DO THIS!?" It was pretty much understood that he didn't get to the NCAA in 4 years. People don't really dig much deeper than that.

So in the eyes of those P5 programs, they want to make a hire that's going to excite their fanbase. Just like us. Their standards are just significantly different.

In their minds, a guy who "couldn't win" at IU isn't going to be someone that drives loads of donations and season ticket holders. They're going to want to grab the next Nate Oats, who's still on fire and winning at the lower level.

Archie is someone who needs a "rehab" job if he wants to get another big job someday. We could be that rehab.

So yes, while it would be a HUGE get for URI because it would mean we cared about winning basketball games and building a program - it isn't an impossible dream.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Not trying to speak for BAR here in any way, but for me, the only reason I wonder how realistic Archie will be for us is financial. I know we COULD figure out how to pay him, I am just skeptical that we actually would. I think it would take a financial commitment that has previously been hard to come by at URI, outside of a last ditch attempt to keep Hurley around. So I think its fair that there is some skepticism around whether that will change or not.
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

adam914 wrote: 2 years ago
Not trying to speak for BAR here in any way, but for me, the only reason I wonder how realistic Archie will be for us is financial. I know we COULD figure out how to pay him, I am just skeptical that we actually would. I think it would take a financial commitment that has previously been hard to come by at URI, outside of a last ditch attempt to keep Hurley around.
My exact thoughts... there are (insider) murmurs that the offer to hurley wasnt all it was said to be, so I am having trouble imaging a world where we actually shell out cash for archie.

I HOPE WE DO THO
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I mean, I'm going to be highly annoyed if like, UMass ends up with Archie Miller. If he's at Maryland or some program that's equivalent, though, that's different. More frustratingly, I think he won't take any job this off-season, we'll hire someone else, and then I'll get to read hundreds of "we should have hired Archie Miller!!!" posts in 2022-23.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Not trying to speak for BAR here in any way, but for me, the only reason I wonder how realistic Archie will be for us is financial. I know we COULD figure out how to pay him, I am just skeptical that we actually would. I think it would take a financial commitment that has previously been hard to come by at URI, outside of a last ditch attempt to keep Hurley around. So I think its fair that there is some skepticism around whether that will change or not.
I think that's the question

Will we make the obvious right decision and pony up the money?

Should we all chip in that $19.98 symbolic donation again? But this time make it $20.18 lol
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

I don't feel that Archie would be totally unrealistic as long as our administration and boosters would make a strong effort in his direction.

Blue Man I do hope that in case Archie falls through, they have a backup plan with stronger and more exciting candidates than Grasso or Skerry.
Both of them would be towards the bottom of my list.
As I said before, when the season ends we may see some other and much better names appear.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

rhodysurf wrote: 2 years ago

Not trying to speak for BAR here in any way, but for me, the only reason I wonder how realistic Archie will be for us is financial. I know we COULD figure out how to pay him, I am just skeptical that we actually would. I think it would take a financial commitment that has previously been hard to come by at URI, outside of a last ditch attempt to keep Hurley around.
My exact thoughts... there are (insider) murmurs that the offer to hurley wasnt all it was said to be, so I am having trouble imaging a world where we actually shell out cash for archie.

I HOPE WE DO THO
Your source needs help with their murmur translations.

We were willing to shell out the cash for Hurley because he was "proven" at the time.

Just like we were willing to shell out the cash for Pitino.

Archie is "proven" as a winner, especially at the A-10 level. If the big donors believe that as well, than the money will be there.

THINK BIG. WE DO.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago I mean, I'm going to be highly annoyed if like, UMass ends up with Archie Miller. If he's at Maryland or some program that's equivalent, though, that's different. More frustratingly, I think he won't take any job this off-season, we'll hire someone else, and then I'll get to read hundreds of "we should have hired Archie Miller!!!" posts in 2022-23.
More of a chance at Richmond than UMass.
Go Rhody
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Richmond could easily cut a check for Archie's services.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ATPTourFan wrote: 2 years ago Richmond could easily cut a check for Archie's services.
My hope is Richmond ends up retaining Mooney.

If not Robert Jones from Norfolk State could also be in play for them.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

The murmurs I've heard re: Richmond is that Mooney is like this *crosses fingers* with the AD, the president, and everyone else relevant to coaching decisions at UR. They love him. Why? No idea, but I've seen that enough times to make me think he's not going anywhere just yet.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Because he's a class act.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

URI needs Mooney, Ewing, Hurley and others to survive the hot seat.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago URI needs Mooney, Ewing, Hurley and others to survive the hot seat.
…..URI needs money………the rest will take care of itself…….
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago URI needs Mooney, Ewing, Hurley and others to survive the hot seat.
Of that group, the only one that concerns me is Mooney.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Would Rhody hire someone that couldn't get the job done in the same conference?
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago
Never, would we hire Mooney.

I was concerned if the Richmond job opens up, they may go after Archie.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago

Never, would we hire Mooney.

I was concerned if the Richmond job opens up, they may go after Archie.
Got it.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Would love to see Archie at the top of Thor’s wish list
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

CamsRams wrote: 2 years ago
Doesn’t sound very optimistic.

That being said - never say never
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

That is quite the clip
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

CamsRams wrote: 2 years ago
THE WHISPERS ARE REAL.

I agree Archie COULD do better than us. But I think if Tom Ryan is willing to make the commitments he could come here.

BELIEVE.

Give to Rhody's NIL
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

The hottest part of that clip isn’t even the Archie part.. “I don’t think he wanted to hire David cox…”
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

I'm at work so I can't listen to the clip, and I missed it last night. Any cliff notes?
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

rhodysurf wrote: 2 years ago The hottest part of that clip isn’t even the Archie part.. “I don’t think he wanted to hire David cox…”
So much about the last few seasons makes sense through that lens, the lack of marketing, practice facility slowness, etc
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I don’t think he’s Coach K. I think he is one of the better coaches not currently employed and a lot of jobs will open this off-season. As Goodman said I think he will get a better opp than the A-10.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago
I don’t think he’s Coach K. I think he is one of the better coaches not currently employed and a lot of jobs will open this off-season. As Goodman said I think he will get a better opp than the A-10.
I think he could. But with money, all things are possible.

If Tom Ryan wants him, he’ll spend the money and make the commitments.

This program needs to make a hire like Archie. One that people say he’s better than and that he wouldn’t take because it’s beneath him.

Without that level of excitement you’re back to Baron. Waiting to see if we’ll be good and lukewarm “wait and see” type engagement.

This program gets back to Hurley-level excitement/ticket sales/engagement if you hire Archie.

Literally overnight.

Give to Rhody's NIL
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

More Pat Skerry talk in that clip. I know I'm preaching to the choir here but hoo boy I am NOT interested in that.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago More Pat Skerry talk in that clip. I know I'm preaching to the choir here but hoo boy I am NOT interested in that.
………yeah, for sure……..if he had set Towson on fire, year after year……..the a definite maybe…….we have got to reach hire than that…….
Ram logo via Grist 1938