2/8 | VCU | 7:00PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody22
Lamar Odom

Re: 2/8 | VCU | 7:00PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by Rhody22 »

Most of the players are not playing for Cox or URI anymore. They are playing for themselves. If I were Cox, I would’ve benched the twins, Shep, EA and Walker for the rest of the game a while ago, even if it meant losing by 40
Last edited by Rhody22 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Not much left to say about this dumpster fire but time to start over. ASAP!
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

KevanBoyles wrote: 2 years ago Total chaos. NO coaching. If Cox is trying, it looks like they’re ignoring him.
That's probably the cornerstone issue. There's no way that this would be going on if there was any respect.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

VCU is one of the worst offensive teams in college basketball, they played like garbage, and turned the ball over almost 20 times.

We are going to let them score 70 and lose by almost 20.

I mean…fireable?
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Why does the offense always start with a pass to one of the twins? They basically only pass the ball to each other but not to another guy who may be open. The best 3 point shot that Sheppard can get is a 25 footer.
Anyone seen us try to set a screen yet?
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago Ya know the consensus is always around the skill disparity between men’s and women’s hoops.

What I am watching right now swings that pendulum in the other direction.
The Lady Rams.

Make URI Basketball Great Again™.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

CamsRams wrote: 2 years ago Anybody on this board gave Thorr’s phone #?
Just call Marc Parlange at this point.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago It’s funny - when you look at the ESPN app for stats, it lists the Mitchell’s both as centers for their position.

I agree with that. Because they’re big, slow, classic rim protectors.

Only an absolute joke of a coach play 2 centers on the floor at the same time in an age where the 4 on most teams is playing out by the 3 point line.

Stand up to the mom coach. It’s your team.
Also, it’s funny that with 2 true centers on the floor we get out rebounded.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

URI is now the 12th seed and playing in the PIG.
RhodeIslandRams
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodeIslandRams »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago
"We weren't this bad earlier in the year."

I think this every game.
we don't have shooters getting hot, ever.

It has to be a reflection of the coaching.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago The Mitchells act like the cornerback who celebrates an interception when his team is down 45-7

It's absolutely pathetic and embarrassing that BOTH of them are on the bench with 4 fouls.

WTF... one of them, okay, understandable. BOTH? Both of them show you their selfish style of playing if that's what you can call it. OOOF.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

……..nite, nite…….can’t do this any longer……..
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago VCU is one of the worst offensive teams in college basketball, they played like garbage, and turned the ball over almost 20 times.

We are going to let them score 70 and lose by almost 20.

I mean…fireable?
They are flying up and down the court like Phi Slama Jama and Houston’s great teams in the 1980’s.
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago
Not only does it stop our momentum, it takes the opposing coach of the hook of burning a timeout. Even worse, we lose a 2nd half timeout. If we're in a close game at the end (laugh track), we could use those timeouts and our opposition would have less. What a concept... There is no rational strategy to do it unless you have an injured player.
'No Mercy.'
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago It’s funny - when you look at the ESPN app for stats, it lists the Mitchell’s both as centers for their position.

I agree with that. Because they’re big, slow, classic rim protectors.

Only an absolute joke of a coach play 2 centers on the floor at the same time in an age where the 4 on most teams is playing out by the 3 point line.

Stand up to the mom coach. It’s your team.
Also, it’s funny that with 2 true centers on the floor we get out rebounded.
On the regular
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

So is Cox fired, or do we have to endure more of this bullshit?
Matt Keebler
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Matt Keebler »

FEBBF6A1-E44A-422A-AF7D-002E93427298.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

Taylor Swift wrote: 2 years ago
Puck Frovidence wrote: 2 years ago
Taylor Swift wrote: 2 years ago

What's so funny is I came here to say the same thing. I have a Roku 4khdtvlblah but only have Netflix, Prime, and rando apps. I'm listening to the game on the Varsity app since I do not have cable and never prob will again at this rate. Stone's calling it solo since they couldn't property accommodate Shane to get to this specific booth. BIG faux pas for VCU.
Yeah even the VCU fans are trashing that setup for being inaccessible for Shane. FWIW I find that Varsity App to work like dogshit when it works at all. This link should work in your computer or phones media player.

I'm no expert but this is definitely an infraction for ADA that Shane couldn't access?
Oh yeah for sure. This is their setup btw:

https://twitter.com/Rhody_Shane/status/ ... 5463667713
Taylor Swift wrote: 2 years ago BTW, have we have had a time where the Rhody SID was on the radio doing the color analysis?
Recently, no. I would almost guarantee it's a "cost containment" decision. However, Shane also does a good job. He did MBB and FB games for WRIU back when he was a student.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago So is Cox fired, or do we have to endure more of this bullshit?
Probly b, for now...but it is getting interesting-er
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago On a serious note. We have no one to replace the twins who in my mind DO have plenty of talent, but no discipline. Someone needs to make them work out for this team.
Ehhhh, I'm not sure they are that talented. They do a lot of things wrong on both sides of the ball. Makhel is a good shot blocker. I"ll give him that. But, they are limited on the offensive end, and I don't see that changing. Maybe im wrong..

This team doesn't have one player then can build around. No stars.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

#1 Auburn about to go down at Arkansas. One can only dream of this sort of competitiveness...
Mobley was fouled.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago On a serious note. We have no one to replace the twins who in my mind DO have plenty of talent, but no discipline. Someone needs to make them work out for this team.
Ehhhh, I'm not sure they are that talented. They do a lot of things wrong on both sides of the ball. Makhel is a good shot blocker. I"ll give him that. But, they are limited on the offensive end, and I don't see that changing. Maybe im wrong..

I think they're fine on the offensive end, but really, you only need to start one of the Mitchells and Walker, with another serving as the primary back-up, and the third getting spot duty. (Even if we wanted to do this, though, we don't have enough depth on the wings anyway.) The Mitchells being a package deal, seemingly, has probably limited whatever respective ceiling they individually had.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

No stars. We don't have anyone on that banner on the header of this page.

If the twins are both fouling out - that's not any kind of mistake. It seems to me like they have been able to push any boundaries they can whether practice or playing I"m sure.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Only way to "watch" this 💩show is to DVR and fast forward unless the other team is as pathetic as us and is vying with us to lose the game.
It's way more fun to glance at the speeding image of the ever-increasing deficit as I engage in our communal mockery.
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

That was God Awful! I thought VCU was terrible too. Sloppy gross game. Ace Baldwin is one tough young man. Another lead guard we could not land. Coach Cox has to go. Start over. Some of the players will stay and most will go...
My guess Carey, Allen B, Martin, Thomas and hopefully Walker and Leggett stay. The rest go.

If we can't land a splash hire we should go with Shaheen Holloway.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

In our last two games we have 42 turnovers and are 21-47 from the foul line. That is truly CYO stuff. With a team that returned 4 starters and has lots of experience.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

I've split out a couple posts about politics and masks. Further posts of that nature will be met with timeouts. Thanks.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago In our last two games we have 42 turnovers and are 21-47 from the foul line. That is truly CYO stuff. With a team that returned 4 starters and has lots of experience.
There is absolutely no excuse for how bad this team is currently playing.
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

Thank goodness we only have to eat one year if Thor does what we all know he must do! Could you imagine if Jeff, Cyril and Fatts led us to a bid in spite of Coach Cox? Thor would have given him an extension and we really would have been stuck. What a collapse and lost opportunity for Coach Cox. I feel terrible for him! He was appointed a really good first Head job with all the heavy lifting done for him and he failed miserably. I don't know how anyone still has faith in him and his staff.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

LIRAM wrote: 2 years ago Thank goodness we only have to eat one year if Thor does what we all know he must do! Could you imagine if Jeff, Cyril and Fatts led us to a bid in spite of Coach Cox? Thor would have given him an extension and we really would have been stuck. What a collapse and lost opportunity for Coach Cox. I feel terrible for him! He was appointed a really good first Head job with all the heavy lifting done for him and he failed miserably. I don't know how anyone still has faith in him and his staff.
I absolutely would have taken another bid with Jeff Cyril and Fatts.

Another bid, more money, more donations, more visibility, potentially better recruits.
Go Rhody
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

Hey McRam, FWIW the quote feature works more cleanly if you write your response beneath the last part of the quote script. For example, find the very last "[/quote]", set the cursor after it and then hit enter to insert a line and then type your response.
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

Just think the Twins leave if Coach Cox is dismissed. They are talented and can go back to a power 6 conference. I'm sure our next Coach will make every attempt to keep them and hope he can Coach them up and take them to the next level. Or the next guy just might not want to deal with the turnovers, missed F.T's and undisciplined play. Time will tell?
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago In our last two games we have 42 turnovers and are 21-47 from the foul line. That is truly CYO stuff. With a team that returned 4 starters and has lots of experience.
There is absolutely no excuse for how bad this team is currently playing.
I absolutely feel very little heart amongst this team. I can't recall any time I felt like this has ever been the state of this program in all my years of following. I'm not even talking basketball -- true grit, heart, and togetherness. It's like everyone is annoyed being anywhere.
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

Unread post by RhodyFanNotAlum »

Part of the transfer portal rollout was supposed to be a higher bar for the granting of waivers for immediate eligibility after a second transfer. It wil be interesting to see if a coaching change is still a compelling enough reason to keep players who transfer a second time from having to sit out a season. (I would honestly love nothing more than to see the Mitchells leave and have to sit out next season somewhere else.)
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

RhodyFanNotAlum wrote: 2 years ago Part of the transfer portal rollout was supposed to be a higher bar for the granting of waivers for immediate eligibility after a second transfer. It wil be interesting to see if a coaching change is still a compelling enough reason to keep players who transfer a second time from having to sit out a season. (I would honestly love nothing more than to see the Mitchells leave and have to sit out next season somewhere else.)
At least according to one site from a quick Google search, they both turned 22 in January 2022. I suspect that their next stop would be professional ball, somewhere, since they're 6'9" or so, and active big men. I don't think they're legitimate NBA prospects or anything, but they could probably sign on somewhere in Europe.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

……to me the Twins are border line uncoachable……..raw talent and size sure……..they would need a strong coach to break them down, change the attitudes, build them back up to utilize their talents in team concept……..here or elsewhere…….
Ram logo via Grist 1938
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Yeah been thinking about this for a while... there are some attitude problems on this team that rest solely on the players. This isn't a 'defend Cox' post but he doesn't deserve 100% of the blame either. Poor coaching plus players with no pride is a lethal combination.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

El Ahmin played 14 minutes and didn’t have a single offensive or defensive statistic.

2 missed shot, 2 fouls.

A combined ZERO points, rebounds, assists, blocks, steals.

What the hell is he even doing out there?
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago
RhodyFanNotAlum wrote: 2 years ago Part of the transfer portal rollout was supposed to be a higher bar for the granting of waivers for immediate eligibility after a second transfer. It wil be interesting to see if a coaching change is still a compelling enough reason to keep players who transfer a second time from having to sit out a season. (I would honestly love nothing more than to see the Mitchells leave and have to sit out next season somewhere else.)
At least according to one site from a quick Google search, they both turned 22 in January 2022. I suspect that their next stop would be professional ball, somewhere, since they're 6'9" or so, and active big men. I don't think they're legitimate NBA prospects or anything, but they could probably sign on somewhere in Europe.
Yeah, playing in Europe is a possibility or they will transfer and be granted an immediate waiver.
Regardless they probably won't be here along with most of our roster.
I have resigned myself to that fact and I am okay with it.
Whoever takes over will have a total rebuild project.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago El Ahmin played 14 minutes and didn’t have a single offensive or defensive statistic.

2 missed shot, 2 fouls.

………what happened to that layer we saw n the Ball State videos that were posted…….?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I see a whole team playing with zero confidence. Except the twins they are so confident they hang on rims when we are down 20. That’s all due to lack of role definition and coaching.
PCFriars
Jeff Kent

Unread post by PCFriars »

Did Thomas get injured? Saw he only had 3 min in the box score, but can't find any info on that anywhere.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PCFriars wrote: 2 years ago Did Thomas get injured? Saw he only had 3 min in the box score, but can't find any info on that anywhere.
He struggled against the VCU Press and had the ball stolen. Cox put Sheppard in and left him in
Last edited by ramster 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago El Ahmin played 14 minutes and didn’t have a single offensive or defensive statistic.

2 missed shot, 2 fouls.

This brought back a specific NBA memory. Here it is...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago I see a whole team playing with zero confidence. Except the twins they are so confident they hang on rims when we are down 20. That’s all due to lack of role definition and coaching.
Teams take on the identity of their best players or their coaches. Cox is not imposing an identity on the team. The Mitchells (and Shep) would be so much better with a coach who demanded more fire to win games from them, but for now they are the best players and seem content with style points and stats. Some players have that innate fire inside to win (Dowtin, Hass, Delroy, Lazar) and it kills them to lose, other need it drawn out by coaches or other players. I don’t see a guy out there with a burning fire to do everything to win the game and I don’t see it from the staff either.
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

I'm not going to comment on the absolute mess that is Rhode Island basketball,

but...

I think the Mitchell's can be an asset with the right coach. They would have to check their ego at the door, share minutes (not play at the same time), and buy-in to the system, but I think the talent is there to be a weapon in the A10 with the right leader.

We don't have a coach right now. Literally zero coach. It's AAU ball and the Mitchell twins look toxic because they are emotional young athletes that get worse when they have no structure.

Bring in the right coach and I believe they can be big for our quick rebound to relevance.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Section104 wrote: 2 years ago I'm not going to comment on the absolute mess that is Rhode Island basketball,

but...

I think the Mitchell's can be an asset with the right coach. They would have to check their ego at the door, share minutes (not play at the same time), and buy-in to the system, but I think the talent is there to be a weapon in the A10 with the right leader.

We don't have a coach right now. Literally zero coach. It's AAU ball and the Mitchell twins look toxic because they are emotional young athletes that get worse when they have no structure.

Bring in the right coach and I believe they can be big for our quick rebound to relevance.
Agreed. But you can't discount the overstepping of their mom. Turgeon looked like he set ground rules and then the mom essentially said F that we'll go somewhere where they can both do whatever they want.

I think they're a lost cause tbh. I mean, definitely with Cox - the lack of any accountability or discipline from numerous STUPID technical fouls this year is pretty apparent there.

In a vaccuum - sure, those kids could probably develop into something. But in reality? Pass.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
Section104 wrote: 2 years ago I'm not going to comment on the absolute mess that is Rhode Island basketball,

but...

Agreed. But you can't discount the overstepping of their mom. Turgeon looked like he set ground rules and then the mom essentially said F that we'll go somewhere where they can both do whatever they want.

I think they're a lost cause tbh. I mean, definitely with Cox - the lack of any accountability or discipline from numerous STUPID technical fouls this year is pretty apparent there.

In a vaccuum - sure, those kids could probably develop into something. But in reality? Pass.
I think the RIGHT coach will make a decision quickly if they want the Mitchell twins on the roster. If we hire someone good, and they want the baggage that comes with them, then I support it.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

12-29 (.414) from the charity stripe last night and now 280-441 (.635) for the season to date. The Mitchell twins are presently a combined 88-168 (.524). They shoot free throws at the middle school level and several other Rhody players are not that much better.
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
PCFriars wrote: 2 years ago Did Thomas get injured? Saw he only had 3 min in the box score, but can't find any info on that anywhere.
He struggled against the VCU Press and had the ball stolen. Cox put Sheppard in and left him in
I thought Jeremy had a good game, he obviously made some shots, but I didn't realize Bassy sat the entire rest of the game.
That's messed up.
I'm not holding my breath for the situation to be fixed...