David Cox officially let go by URI (formerly, "Fire Cox")

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Re: FIRE COX

Unread post by RoadyJay »

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago
RoadyJay wrote: 2 years ago Blueman makes many good points. We can’t appreciate the struggle and challenge that come with Thorr’s job. I’ve also never heard anything other than what a great guy/leader he is. I don’t dispute this.

But you can’t just say this is 100% on Cox. Thorr must accept some blame for the near total collapse of this program since Hurley left.

I wish Thorr would be more critical of how challenging the role is without the State’s support. Put a spotlight on it! Help the Rhode Island community understand how challenging it is to fund athletics. Show the potential return on investment if our flagship sports team regularly makes the NCAA tournament.

What’s the investment in Mens basketball been since Dan left? Stagnant? I’m not aware of new program enhancements. Where did the NCAA money go? Where did the savings on Hurley’s contract go? He has no influence on this? I always felt Dan was pushing for the program improvements and not as much Thorr. Perception is reality maybe?

Is speaking out on the unique challenges a career killer? I’m not sure. But if it is, why would you want that role in the first place. So he’s responsible for a budget and he doesn’t get to make the most important decisions on how to spend it! I don’t know why you’d stay very long in that position.

Thorr may very well be the best person to lead the Athletic Department and make a critical upcoming decision to name our next Head Coach…. But he’s not blameless here.

He already missed an opportunity yesterday to fire Cox. That’s on him. Who would have disagreed with him doing it?
What good comes from firing Cox yesterday? I don’t love how the past couple weeks have unfolded either, but it’s not like yesterdays loss changes the course of our season. It wasn’t great either way.

Blueman made this point in his post but there’s always politics in play with firing coaches. You don’t want to be the University that is known for firing a coach when he’s 12-9 after a multi-game losing streak. Looks emotional, at least in my opinion.

Ride out the season and fire him with just cause
I think it does more good to fire him now rather than continue the embarrassment and lose the remainder of the fan base. I don’t see how anyone can see it as an emotional firing.

theblueram also had a post…. 0 Q1 and Q2 wins along with 4 Q3 and 2 Q4 losses.

It really has to get worse!?
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by daytonflyerfan »

RoadyJay wrote: 2 years ago Blueman makes many good points. We can’t appreciate the struggle and challenge that come with Thorr’s job. I’ve also never heard anything other than what a great guy/leader he is. I don’t dispute this.

But you can’t just say this is 100% on Cox. Thorr must accept some blame for the near total collapse of this program since Hurley left.

I wish Thorr would be more critical of how challenging the role is without the State’s support. Put a spotlight on it! Help the Rhode Island community understand how challenging it is to fund athletics. Show the potential return on investment if our flagship sports team regularly makes the NCAA tournament.

What’s the investment in Mens basketball been since Dan left? Stagnant? I’m not aware of new program enhancements. Where did the NCAA money go? Where did the savings on Hurley’s contract go? He has no influence on this? I always felt Dan was pushing for the program improvements and not as much Thorr. Perception is reality maybe?

Is speaking out on the unique challenges a career killer? I’m not sure. But if it is, why would you want that role in the first place. So he’s responsible for a budget and he doesn’t get to make the most important decisions on how to spend it! I don’t know why you’d stay very long in that position.

Thorr may very well be the best person to lead the Athletic Department and make a critical upcoming decision to name our next Head Coach…. But he’s not blameless here.

He already missed an opportunity yesterday to fire Cox. That’s on him. Who would have disagreed with him doing it?
What good comes from firing Cox yesterday? I don’t love how the past couple weeks have unfolded either, but it’s not like yesterdays loss changes the course of our season. It wasn’t great either way.

Blueman made this point in his post but there’s always politics in play with firing coaches. You don’t want to be the University that is known for firing a coach when he’s 12-9 after a multi-game losing streak. Looks emotional, at least in my opinion.

??? That is the perfect time to fire him. You fire a coach when he is losing, not when he is winning. A long losing streak is the perfect time to fire him.
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

I think a good argument can be made for firing him this year. I looked at your guy's Torvik projection for the remainder of this season, you are only favored in 2 more games resulting in a 16-14 projected finish.

https://barttorvik.com/team.php?team=Rhode+Island

What are the odds that you go dancing in 2023 after finishing 16-14 in 2022? Not very good IMO.

IMO, ncaat appearances are something that you build towards, a momentum sort of thing. You guys have no momentum now. It is pretty unlikely that you are dancing in 2023 IMO, so there is no reason to give Cox another year.

If he makes the NIT next year, would you want to keep him for 2024? Most likely not.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Between last year and this year we are 10-16 in conference. 7-10 last year and 3-6 so far this year. FIRE COX!!!!!
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago

"just cause" happened last year.
In a bubble, yes. But it was also the most derailed season in history due to Covid. If there was ever a time for someone to get a pass it was then. That goes for every team, not just ours

Outside of that people keep worrying about losing the fan base, etc. Once you fire the coach your problem is hiring the next one. AGAIN you don’t want to have URI associated with firing coaches mid season because they hit a multi game losing streak.

A good coach (one we want and hopefully can hire) is likely going to have options. Don’t think he’s hoping to Attach himself to a program that can’t even let a guy finish a season.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

In a bubble, yes. But it was also the most derailed season in history due to Covid. If there was ever a time for someone to get a pass it was then. That goes for every team, not just ours

Outside of that people keep worrying about losing the fan base, etc. Once you fire the coach your problem is hiring the next one. AGAIN you don’t want to have URI associated with firing coaches mid season because they hit a multi game losing streak.

A good coach (one we want and hopefully can hire) is likely going to have options. Don’t think he’s hoping to Attach himself to a program that can’t even let a guy finish a season.
tbh, I really don't care. If a coach is that insecure we don't want him.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

You’re then extremely naive of how college and professional sports work. You want your program to be a destination. Not have asterisks next to it for unpredictable job security
theblueram
Frank Keaney

You’re then extremely naive of how college and professional sports work. You want your program to be a destination. Not have asterisks next to it for unpredictable job security
you're joking. no? A destination? Right now we are a cesspool. Firing the coach will make it a destination for a coach who wants success.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

you're joking. no? A destination? Right now we are a cesspool. Firing the coach will make it a destination for a coach who wants success.
Don’t know if you’re just being sarcastic at this point. It’s obviously all relative. No shit we’re not a destination in comparison to taking over at Duke next year.

This is still a place that just enabled Hurley to elevate himself to the peak of college basketball. I’d call that a destination in relative terms.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

No team in the country had fewer problems with Covid than we did last year. We weren't paused once. Not once for practices, not once for games. We had the smoothest schedule in the country and we got worse as the season went along
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

Agree to disagree, if they fired him today, the national reaction would be that it was justified due to the losing streak and having no momentum going into next year.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago

No team in the country had fewer problems with Covid than we did last year. We weren't paused once. Not once for practices, not once for games. We had the smoothest schedule in the country and we got worse as the season went along
There was also no off season program, extreme precautions that altered team operations, etc.

My point is Cox deserved a full off season/season with HIS guys under normal conditions. It’s clearly still not working out. Yes, I agree with everyone here, that barring some miracle he should be gone at season end. But see only downside and no upside to just not finishing out the season
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

DCRAMS......TJRAMS.....KingstonLane?
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago

There was also no off season program, extreme precautions that altered team operations, etc.

My point is Cox deserved a full off season/season with HIS guys under normal conditions. It’s clearly still not working out. Yes, I agree with everyone here, that barring some miracle he should be gone at season end. But see only downside and no upside to just not finishing out the season
Well, the upside would be bringing on the interim coach and catching lightning in a bottle. There are still 9 games left plus the A10T.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

daytonflyerfan wrote: 2 years ago

Agree to disagree, if they fired him today, the national reaction would be that it was justified due to the losing streak and having no momentum going into next year.
2nd winningest coach through first 100 games in URI history. Fired over a 5 game losing streak. Taking off my Rams hat for a second that looks like zero respect or loyalty to a guy.

Firing Cox today for the 1% chance of catching lightning in a bottle the rest of the season isn’t worth blackballing our program to potential candidates when they think we make rash decisions when our coaches hit a bit of a skid.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

2nd winningest coach through first 100 games in URI history. Fired over a 5 game losing streak. Taking off my Rams hat for a second that looks like zero respect or loyalty to a guy.

Firing Cox today for the 1% chance of catching lightning in a bottle the rest of the season isn’t worth blackballing our program to potential candidates when they think we make rash decisions when our coaches hit a bit of a skid.
1.5 years is a “skid?”

More like he got full control of the roster without Hurley’s players and the team went to shit.

It wouldn’t be for this 5 game skid, it’ll have been for the last 1.5 seasons of absolute garbage basketball.

No need to fire him now though, just wait till end of season.
Last edited by Rhody15 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Go Rhody
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago

1.5 years is a “skid?”

More like he got full control of the roster without Hurley’s players and the team went to shit.
I pray our next coach has a better sense of how to contextualize life better than posters on this board

Last time I’ll repeat myself because you and others refuse to read what I’ve already said. Using the COVID year as justification for firing a coach is amateur hour. Any coach your interviewing will call an AD out on that bullshit.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Yeah, the jackass who came up with that stat was a genius. Jim Baron took us to the most NIT appearances. How'd that work out?
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

……..Lane, can I ask where your tipping point is for removal?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

RoadyJay wrote: 2 years ago

I think it does more good to fire him now rather than continue the embarrassment and lose the remainder of the fan base. I don’t see how anyone can see it as an emotional firing.

theblueram also had a post…. 0 Q1 and Q2 wins along with 4 Q3 and 2 Q4 losses.

It really has to get worse!?
At this point I think most fear that it will get marginally better and he keeps his job - I think he should be gone absent some freakin miracle run to an A10 tourney championship.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago

1.5 years is a “skid?”

I pray our next coach has a better sense of how to contextualize life better than posters on this board

Last time I’ll repeat myself because you and others refuse to read what I’ve already said. Using the COVID year as justification for firing a coach is amateur hour. Any coach your interviewing will call an AD out on that bullshit.

Alright, then can the late season meltdown two years ago, multiple transfers, soft ass schedule, no player development, awful basketball this season, and fading back to irrelevant justify firing Cox?
Go Rhody
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Yeah, the jackass who came up with that stat was a genius. Jim Baron took us to the most NIT appearances. How'd that work out?
I’m not using that stat as justification for retaining him after the season. My entire point is there’s zero upside to firing him now. Just wait out another month
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago ……..Lane, can I ask where your tipping point is for removal?
I think he’s already on the wrong side of the bubble, or should be. Barring a miracle finish to this season he hasn’t earned an extension in my eyes, which given his lame duck status means fire him.

My entire point of the last 10 posts is that just wait till the seasons over. Firing him now just gives potential coaching candidates even the slightest pause that we make rash decisions based on bad in season results. Be patient for another month it’s not that hard

Somehow this has been spun into me saying Cox deserves an extension
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

He went 18-15 and 21-9 in his first 2 years. No ncaat appearances with 1 likely nit appearance during the covid-canceled year. That is the 2nd best ever?

Fair enough, fire him at year's end.
Last edited by daytonflyerfan 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago ……..Lane, can I ask where your tipping point is for removal?
I think he’s already on the wrong side of the bubble, or should be. Barring a miracle finish to this season he hasn’t earned an extension in my eyes, which given his lame duck status means fire him.

My entire point of the last 10 posts is that just wait till the seasons over. Firing him now just gives potential coaching candidates even the slightest pause that we make rash decisions based on bad in season results. Be patient for another month it’s not that hard

Somehow this has been spun into me saying Cox deserves an extension
……..K, fair enough……..
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I’m not using that stat as justification for retaining him after the season. My entire point is there’s zero upside to firing him now. Just wait out another month
The only reason I can see is to help save face for Dave. Which I agree with. So if that is the case, then ok.
damram
Kenny Green

Unread post by damram »

We need some Morgan Magic.
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Agree here. Generally speaking (means rarely but not always), college coaches aren't fired in the middle of the basketball season. This isn't the pros, as much as some think it's just like the pros. Everyone around the program (administrators, coaches, players, etc.) know the handwriting is on the wall at this point. Thorr has to at least give the appearance that he hasn't given up on the players and the season. But firing a coach mid-season, then that's the official green light for everyone to "check out" and go their own way. Now they may have already "checked out" mentally but at least by Thorr letting Cox finish the season it gives the appearance the program still has somebody in charge and Thorr can see which players are truly vested in representing URI going forward next season.

Firing a coach mid-season sets a terrible precedent when you're trying to attract a new coach. He'll think the first or next time he has a losing streak in the middle of his 3rd/4th season then he could get fired. He will want more assurances than that.
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

The only reason I can see is to help save face for Dave. Which I agree with. So if that is the case, then ok.
You know, that's not the worst take in world. This season is lost, nothing miraculous going to happen to save it. Cox needs to go. Let him ride it out, it's not going to make any difference either way. Does the human element count for anything? Good guy, helped build the program under Hurley, etc.?

In the interim, start looking!

(Just thinking out loud, not saying I necessarily agree with this take...)
Mobley was fouled.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago

Agree here. Generally speaking (means rarely but not always), college coaches aren't fired in the middle of the basketball season. This isn't the pros, as much as some think it's just like the pros. Everyone around the program (administrators, coaches, players, etc.) know the handwriting is on the wall at this point. Thorr has to at least give the appearance that he hasn't given up on the players and the season. But firing a coach mid-season, then that's the official green light for everyone to "check out" and go their own way. Now they may have already "checked out" mentally but at least by Thorr letting Cox finish the season it gives the appearance the program still has somebody in charge and Thorr can see which players are truly vested in representing URI going forward next season.

Firing a coach mid-season sets a terrible precedent when you're trying to attract a new coach. He'll think the first or next time he has a losing streak in the middle of his 3rd/4th season then he could get fired. He will want more assurances than that.
WTF are you talking about? Thor can see which players are vested???????? OK Woke Mike.
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

WTF are you talking about? Thor can see which players are vested???????? OK Woke Mike.
What I'm talking about is which players actually demonstrate on and off the court that they want to be part of a future at URI, regardless of the coach. When Thorr talks and interviews potential coaching candidates, those candidates are going to ask about which players fit that candidate's vision. Thorr may tell him "Sebastian Thomas is a Rhode Island kid who truly wants to be here, and is the hardest worker in practice, day in and day out." And he may tell that coaching candidate that "Player X is extremely talented but has a hard time accepting his role and tends to push back at coaching." As a coach, you want to know what you're walking into and who you're dealing with. (Watching kids on game tape only tells you so much. That's why coaches get on the road to recruit, right?)

That's what my woke self is talking about. Do you understand?
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

And, would give good "rest of the season and into the postseason" public speculation time on tv. Can't hurt.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Tell me where the money is coming from to buy out Cox and pay his replacement the salary a better coach would expect? We don't have a wealthy owner.
NCAAs or Bust!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I just wanted to see if I could type out "bit of a skid", without audibly laughing. (Nope)
theblueram
Frank Keaney

What I'm talking about is which players actually demonstrate on and off the court that they want to be part of a future at URI, regardless of the coach. When Thorr talks and interviews potential coaching candidates, those candidates are going to ask about which players fit that candidate's vision. Thorr may tell him "Sebastian Thomas is a Rhode Island kid who truly wants to be here, and is the hardest worker in practice, day in and day out." And he may tell that coaching candidate that "Player X is extremely talented but has a hard time accepting his role and tends to push back at coaching." As a coach, you want to know what you're walking into and who you're dealing with. (Watching kids on game tape only tells you so much. That's why coaches get on the road to recruit, right?)

None. If I was Thor I would tell the next coach we need a new team, A to Z.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago Tell me where the money is coming from to buy out Cox and pay his replacement the salary a better coach would expect? We don't have a wealthy owner.
300K? If URI can't pay 300K to buyout a coach I will no longer be a season tix holder rat.
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Does Coxy have a Georgetown miracle run in him to win a10 tourney?
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

If you fire him now you have a head start on the coaching search. No coach worth his salt is going to avoid a job because you fired someone mid season in their 4th year of not making the tourney after losing to fordham and umass. If they did, they’re not someone you’d want to hire.
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago Tell me where the money is coming from to buy out Cox and pay his replacement the salary a better coach would expect? We don't have a wealthy owner.
300K? If URI can't pay 300K to buyout a coach I will no longer be a season tix holder rat.
If I’m the new President I’d be asking why didn’t we have a backup plan if things went south with this experiment. No one should have thought the hire was a slam dunk. If we don’t have $300k waiting on the sidelines then someone is to blame for that.
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

Oh please, we are reportedly talking about $300k here, I think they should be able to manage that.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

As you know I would like Cox gone as well, but if the buyout is a few hundred thousand and we seem to think that’s no big deal, how are they going to come up with it if they don’t seem to have that amount to complete the funding of the practice facility which is only short a few hundred K?
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Oh please, we are reportedly talking about $300k here, I think they should be able to manage that.
I think that's about the same amount of money that the State of RI allocates to URI annually. In total.
Mobley was fouled.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

URI_05 wrote: 2 years ago If you fire him now you have a head start on the coaching search. No coach worth his salt is going to avoid a job because you fired someone mid season in their 4th year of not making the tourney after losing to fordham and umass. If they did, they’re not someone you’d want to hire.
Why do you need to fire him to get a "head start" on the coaching search? I'm positive URI already has a couple of coaches in mind, and it isn't hard to talk to their agents via back channels to gauge their interest if the job opened up. Last time we fired a coach, we had his replacement hired by March 20. It's not like they're going to post the job on LinkedIn and have to sort through a couple hundred resumes.

Regarding other arguments about "losing" the fan base, well, people attend games when the team is winning. Attendance would probably drop off a bunch this year, except it sounds like they already sold a bunch of tickets and people simply don't use them. As bad as some of the Jerry D. and Jim Baron years were, attendance bounced back the following years when the team was good.

Unless there is something bad going on behind the scenes that we don't know about - players not going to practice, the APR tanking - I think it's better to just keep Cox this year, and fire him at the end of the year. This year's already gone, and Bozeman shouldn't be a serious candidate for the job, so I don't see any upside in making a mid-season change.
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

They reportedly dipped into the endowment to fund Hurley's contract, can't they just do the same thing here? And this $300k I would guess is much less than what they gave to Hurley from the endowment.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago DCRAMS......TJRAMS.....KingstonLane?
I can't say you're reaching with this one by any means except Idk if DC or TJ would even know what Kingston Lane is? :)
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

CamsRams wrote: 2 years ago Does Coxy have a Georgetown miracle run in him to win a10 tourney?

There's no way he'd be able to "figure it out"
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago
URI_05 wrote: 2 years ago If you fire him now you have a head start on the coaching search. No coach worth his salt is going to avoid a job because you fired someone mid season in their 4th year of not making the tourney after losing to fordham and umass. If they did, they’re not someone you’d want to hire.
Why do you need to fire him to get a "head start" on the coaching search? I'm positive URI already has a couple of coaches in mind, and it isn't hard to talk to their agents via back channels to gauge their interest if the job opened up. Last time we fired a coach, we had his replacement hired by March 20. It's not like they're going to post the job on LinkedIn and have to sort through a couple hundred resumes.

Regarding other arguments about "losing" the fan base, well, people attend games when the team is winning. Attendance would probably drop off a bunch this year, except it sounds like they already sold a bunch of tickets and people simply don't use them. As bad as some of the Jerry D. and Jim Baron years were, attendance bounced back the following years when the team was good.

Unless there is something bad going on behind the scenes that we don't know about - players not going to practice, the APR tanking - I think it's better to just keep Cox this year, and fire him at the end of the year. This year's already gone, and Bozeman shouldn't be a serious candidate for the job, so I don't see any upside in making a mid-season change.

Absolutely in no way shape or form should Bozeman be considered for HC. Scrap that entire coaching staff before next season. Carroll is useless as an umbrella in a hurricane.

If the shtishow we are seeing is this bad on the court, on the sidelines, and in PC's, I can assure you it's only worse for practices and locker room huddles. The possibilities are endless.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I like this also , be nice to get a head start especially if Thorr knows he done @ end of year

Also say we finish 15-15 and have a miracle and win the A10s I want Cox gone
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

None. If I was Thor I would tell the next coach we need a new team, A to Z.
Agree on a new team A-Z. New head coach, assistants and players. I know people love Thomas, but I couldn't care if we not only had a new coach, new assistants and 13 new players as well. That obviously won't happen, but the point is that there are no players that we need to start this rebuild around. I just can't root for the the Twins.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

daytonflyerfan wrote: 2 years ago I think a good argument can be made for firing him this year. I looked at your guy's Torvik projection for the remainder of this season, you are only favored in 2 more games resulting in a 16-14 projected finish.

https://barttorvik.com/team.php?team=Rhode+Island

What are the odds that you go dancing in 2023 after finishing 16-14 in 2022? Not very good IMO.

IMO, ncaat appearances are something that you build towards, a momentum sort of thing. You guys have no momentum now. It is pretty unlikely that you are dancing in 2023 IMO, so there is no reason to give Cox another year.

If he makes the NIT next year, would you want to keep him for 2024? Most likely not.
Buddy, do not come here and say we have no momentum. Have you never heard of negative momentum? Geez.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011