2/2 | Fordham | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: 2/2 | Fordham | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Cox keeps talking about improving.....but he must leave himself out of that conversation.

Has he ever admitted that he needs to coach better?

Doesn't matter anymore though....he's got to be 98% out the door right about now.

It's actually mind boggling that this team is still over .500....imagine if they had played a decent OOC schedule.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

rhodylaw wrote: 2 years ago
SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago After ragging on the need for Thomas to improve his shooting for the week, it's good to see him hit 3 open shots. Kind of like KingstonLane though, it's not like I'm going to pretend that we suddenly have the solution to our point guard woes - he had three turnovers, only two assists, and only took four shots without getting to the FT line. It would be nice to see him combine this line with the previous game's line, but this is a step in the right direction. On a night that Leggett and Sheppard combined to shoot 2-for-14, I don't know why Thomas wasn't finishing the game out.
Because he turned the ball over with 2 mins left. Question is why Leggett goes in for him, Leggett either is no good or is in a really bad slump.
So what? We turn the ball over all the time and players stay in. He was hot.. You have to keep him in the game.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

I don't think anyone said Thomas is our savior? I think some of us were excited to see a freshman hit clutch 3s after he was bashed all week for not hitting shots. He should have been in the game at the end..No one thinks he's our savior....His performance in the second half was one of the only positives from the game.... We don't need to be pessimistic about literally everything 24/7.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago
That picture of Cox says it all. Clueless.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Yes, it was an improvement and a bright spot in a bad game. Hopefully is a start of a better stretch for him and he should have been in at the end. But if that performance gets you excited your standards have been seriously lowered by this mess.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

What in gods name has happened to Jeremy Sheppard?

(I know what happened, it’s just pretty shocking to see him this bad.)
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago What in gods name has happened to Jeremy Sheppard?

DC?
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago What in gods name has happened to Jeremy Sheppard?

DC?
Wasn’t the main focus on defense last year, was more
open with the ball in Fatts’ hands.

Now as the de facto point guard and the added defensive attention, he just isn’t good enough to overcome that.
Go Rhody
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

"It says a lot about those guys. They came out here and they COMPETED. They got us back in the game."

Thanks Coach Clueless. But did they have fun? 🤡💩🤮
Last edited by PeteRI 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

In two weeks we've gone from 70 in the KenPom to 105. That would be impressive if it wasn't so sad
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Legged is not a A-10 caliber player, and waiting for him to improve is like taking a trip beyond the Milky Way, so you better pack a bedroll because it will be loooong trip.
Last edited by Obadiah 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago In two weeks we've gone from 70 in the KenPom to 105. That would be impressive if it wasn't so sad
What were the rankings of the 3 crap teams we lost to? (Bearing in mind we're now a crap team too.)
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago "It says a lot about those guys. They came out here and they COMPETED. They got us back in the game."

Thanks Coach Clueless. But did they have fun? 🤡💩🤮
The man talks like he isn’t being paid 700,000 a year LOL. It’s disturbing. He has no clue how to call timeouts or manage his subs correctly.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Have to give credit where credit is due, Makhel with another complete game (besides the FTs).

He’s frustrating at times, but he’s been our most consistent player all season.
Go Rhody
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago Have to give credit where credit is due, Makhel with another complete game (besides the FTs).

He’s frustrating at times, but he’s been our most consistent player all season.
And I believe he had 0 second half turnovers.
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Bottom line, the better team won tonight. Sad state of affairs.
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

I feel that this truly is the point of no return. Season over. No interest in watching us lose anymore winnable games.

I am trying to reconcile whether ending Cox’s Leadership now or in March will make any difference...to recruits or transferring players?
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago In two weeks we've gone from 70 in the KenPom to 105. That would be impressive if it wasn't so sad
Well I mean those of us that pointed out we played a middle school schedule did say this would bite us once the season took shape.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

At no time did I believe we were going to win this game after the first 2 minutes.
Thank the lord that Fordham doesn't allow fans because I would have wasted my time going down to The Bronx to watch this.
We are all here because we care, and I know the players read this blog so let me say this - we as fans love you all and hope above everything that you are successful as players and as people. We are just frustrated AF because it appears this is a rudderless ship.
I said it before and I will say it again. It is not a popular opinion, but if Thorr is to stay on as AD he needs to make a decision and make it soon. The way that the bureaucratic process works with this state and university, you need to "cut bait" and start the search ASAP. If we wait until after the A10 Tourney, we will not be getting a strong candidate. We are already in deep trouble trying to get a quality coach because we are no longer a school that is seen as a solid landing spot. We may forever be doomed for mediocracy.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

RIFan wrote: 2 years ago Yes, it was an improvement and a bright spot in a bad game. Hopefully is a start of a better stretch for him and he should have been in at the end. But if that performance gets you excited your standards have been seriously lowered by this mess.
The season was over long before this game... The most important thing is getting rid of Cox and finding a new coach... It was a nice moment seeing an RI kid hit some 3s and bring us back. That's all. He's one of the few players that I think could stay if we get rid of Cox. I truly don't understand why we have to be so goddamn negative about EVERYTHING.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Hey Coach Clueless - Fordham didn't play a "junk" defense. They played a junk TEAM - led by you.
Last edited by PeteRI 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

…….gotta ask, he refers to “junk” defenses……is here referring to box and 1, diamond and 1, triangle and 2……if so, at this level, recognize and adjust offense…….no?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

ATPTourFan wrote: 2 years ago
This is a huge indictment on his coaching ability. A different defense isn't a "junk" defense, it's called strategy. And it obviously worked. And the fact that he admits he didn't recognize and adjust to it immediately speaks volumes.
'No Mercy.'
SnooterMagoo
Abdul Fox

Unread post by SnooterMagoo »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago
RIFan wrote: 2 years ago Yes, it was an improvement and a bright spot in a bad game. Hopefully is a start of a better stretch for him and he should have been in at the end. But if that performance gets you excited your standards have been seriously lowered by this mess.
The season was over long before this game... The most important thing is getting rid of Cox and finding a new coach... It was a nice moment seeing an RI kid hit some 3s and bring us back. That's all. He's one of the few players that I think could stay if we get rid of Cox. I truly don't understand why we have to be so goddamn negative about EVERYTHING.
LOL. "We should dump the coach and all but a few players. Also, why is everyone being so negative?"
"Who's pitching? Buddy Groom?" - Lt. Cedric Daniels
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

It just looked like a sagging man to man - except the 'sag' was extreme. Usually the defense keeps one foot in the paint until the ball is one pass away.
They not only did that, they did not even leave the paint against certain guys. Really 'packing it in'.
Malik Martin was left uncontested three times and did not come close.
That is a combination of good scouting and an out manned coach that had to take a chance. It worked.
We needed our better shooters (notice the word 'good' not used, but 'better' which is relative) to make a few and they could not.
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

Not sure what anyone is expecting DC to say at this point. Of course he's going to give the typical coach speak and praise the opponent and mention we need to get better, its all he can really say. When I look at this video of his game comments, I see a coach who's lost control of his program, his players have tuned him out and he just sounds like he knows he's coaching his last few games. We rolled the dice on Cox and it obviously has not worked out, my only concern is how much turnover we'll see and how our next coach can fill in the gaps. We've basically become UMass, irrelevant on the national scene, its time to move on.
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

I like this Morey H- asks the questions that the fans want asked. Calls things like he see them.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

The term "junk defense" just irks me. It's like when people said Jamie Moyer was a junk ball pitcher at the end of his career. No - he just played to his strengths (painting corners with movement) and being effective. Fordham didn't throw junk defenses out there; Cox and his rotations/sub patterns are so robotic that Neptune was able to predict what was coming and was able to effective scheme against it. Cox was out-coached but won't admit it. Even Belichick admits when the Pats get out-coached.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I am really at a loss for words at this point - I will keep watching and rooting for them because I am masochist when it comes to this program, but it inability to hit open shots (including FTs) is disgusting.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

If the f’n Mitchells could reasonably shoot free throws we would be 17-3 right now. WTF.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

As I said prior to the season, our guards would really need to step up for us to finish in the upper tier of the conference.
I felt our frontcourt would be able to hold their own.

We are just over 2/3 of the way thru the season.
Both Shep and Ish log the most minutes in the backcourt:
Shep- .363% (FG), .329% (3PT)
Ish- .349% (FG), .311%(#PT)
As a starting combo this ranks among the worst of the starting guards in the A10.

I didn't have a great feeling about this team when I watched them in Florida but tried to stay optimistic.

Prior to the start of the season, I predicted them to finish in the mid-tier A10, definitely not near the bottom.

As I stated earlier in this thread, I felt this team needed to win both this game and UMass (Sat) convincingly to gain some confidence going into the tough final stretch.
Right now, they are unable to get out of their own way and seem lost (including the staff).
Bottom line that falls on Cox.

I hope they get it together, but that seems like a huge reach at this point.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rhodylaw wrote: 2 years ago If the f’n Mitchells could reasonably shoot free throws we would be 17-3 right now. WTF.
No, we wouldn't.
Go Rhody
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Their offensive rating has dropped nearly 130 spots nationally starting with the La Salle game. Was top 80-ish, is now 207. Insane.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

SnooterMagoo wrote: 2 years ago
LOL. "We should dump the coach and all but a few players. Also, why is everyone being so negative?"
Huh?? I didn’t say we should dumb all but a few players… I said I think Thomas would be one of the only players that stay. Cox is close with a lot of these kid. If he goes I expect a lot of our guys to transfer..
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

RhodyKyle wrote: 2 years ago Cox and his rotations/sub patterns are so robotic that Neptune was able to predict what was coming and was able to effective scheme against it.
Exactly right.
Mobley was fouled.
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

rhodylaw wrote: 2 years ago If the f’n Mitchells could reasonably shoot free throws we would be 17-3 right now. WTF.
It's unfathomable to me that these two are so good at getting fouled and yet so bad at making FTs. I mean, that's a HUGE part of their job! Infuriating!
Mobley was fouled.
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Huh?? I didn’t say we should dumb all but a few players… I said I think Thomas would be one of the only players that stay. Cox is close with a lot of these kid. If he goes I expect a lot of our guys to transfer..
Are we sure that he's close with these guys???? Because the results tell a different story.
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Rhodyram wrote: 2 years ago

Are we sure that he's close with these guys???? Because the results tell a different story.
Maybe it's "WAS close"...
Mobley was fouled.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Yes, I agree
If Thorr does decide to move on, I expect a close to a complete roster rebuild.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago

Yes, I agree

Which is a lot easier these days with the one time transfer rule. Can rebuild on the fly.
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago

Yes, I agree
If Thorr does decide to move on, I expect close to a complete roster rebuild.

Which is a lot easier these days with the one time transfer rule. Can rebuild on the fly.
It is, but I don't expect miracles, it will take time for us to contend again.
Of course, that depends on them making the right hire, if the position opens up.
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

The new coach will bring in his "guys". Things can be turned around quicker than you think-----with the right hire.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Yes, I agree
……..for me, I have no problem with that…….the transfer route, with a coach, of course that can adapt their “system” and ways of teaching to the level of talent assembled…….it is sadly amazing to me, we thirsted for legit big men rather than tweeners, and our coach could not mold that talent, break down their faults into a strong foundation…….time to move, whoever is staying here, fine……
Ram logo via Grist 1938
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Look at George Mason. Year 1 of their new coach... 4-2 in the A-10 and a bucket away from beating SLU last night and being 5-1. Wins over Maryland, Dayton, and Bonaventure. Reloading isn't hard if you have the right guy.
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

RhodyKyle wrote: 2 years ago The term "junk defense" just irks me. It's like when people said Jamie Moyer was a junk ball pitcher at the end of his career. No - he just played to his strengths (painting corners with movement) and being effective. Fordham didn't throw junk defenses out there; Cox and his rotations/sub patterns are so robotic that Neptune was able to predict what was coming and was able to effective scheme against it. Cox was out-coached but won't admit it. Even Belichick admits when the Pats get out-coached.
It's a disparaging comment about the opposing coach who throughly outcoached you and beat your team with much less talent. Not a good look.
'No Mercy.'