David Cox

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: David Cox

Unread post by reef »

What happens if we go 20-10. And 11-7 conference and lose out 1st A10 tournament game ??
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Also if Bassy and Legget are guards 1 and 2, and can't score more than double digits per game on average, that is a weak backcourt.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
ramster wrote: 2 years ago

Well yeah, of course he takes many things and factors into consideration before forming an opinion and ultimately making a decision.
Including his OWN job. He also had annual goals and expectations set for him by his boss.
Ramster, no way will the new president get rid of Thorr who is one of the most respected AD's in the conference.
He is also chair of all the athletic directors in the A10.
I agree. But if the basketball program goes into and stays in a Baron type 11 year swoon?

I've said it before, this is a make or break year.
No contract extension, no pay increase
There is a message already sent in that type of inaction
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

reef wrote: 2 years ago What happens if we go 20-10. And 11-7 conference and lose out 1st A10 tournament game ??
……..extension……
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago
reef wrote: 2 years ago What happens if we go 20-10. And 11-7 conference and lose out 1st A10 tournament game ??
……..extension……
with our schedule? That would be a travesty.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
……..extension……
Correct me if I am wrong, but other than PC and Dayton, is any other team Rhody's played this season been a top 100?
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

……..extension……
……..I answered that from the perspective of what I think would happen…….
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago

Well yeah, of course he takes many things and factors into consideration before forming an opinion and ultimately making a decision.
Including his OWN job. He also had annual goals and expectations set for him by his boss.
Ramster, no way will the new president get rid of Thorr who is one of the most respected AD's in the conference.
He is also chair of all the athletic directors in the A10.
Not immediately
But Men's Basketball Drives the Bus at URI
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

……..where is that bus going ?……..that for IS the question in the state of the program……
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

……..extension……
……..I answered that from the perspective of what I think would happen…….
I know. I replied from my perspective if that happened.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago Also if Bassy and Legget are guards 1 and 2, and can't score more than double digits per game on average, that is a weak backcourt.
Time will tell but Bassy can be a solid PG.
I think Ish will work his way out of the sophomore slump, he is a tough kid.

AB showed flashes right before his injury against Dayton.
In just 14 minutes scored 10 pts (4-5).
Maybe it took him awhile to settle in since he started playing end of 1st semester.
When I was in Daytona at the hotel, several players told me he is the best shooter on the team, they wished he was playing this season.

Also, Carey, Tres, and Chance are all question marks at this point.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I know it came from the players, but it’s impossible to justify saying Betrand is a better shooter than Sheppard, who is shooting 39% from 3 this year and last.

Doesn’t matter what happens in practice. Game results do.

Betrand shot 33% from the field, 28% from 3 last year.

At Towson he shot 39% from 3 his sophomore year, and 28% his freshman year.
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago I know it came from the players, but it’s impossible to justify saying Betrand is a better shooter than Sheppard, who is shooting 39% from 3 this year and last.

Doesn’t matter what happens in practice. Game results do.

Betrand shot 33% from the field, 28% from 3 last year.

At Towson he shot 39% from 3 his sophomore year, and 28% his freshman year.
Well yeah, you can't always go by what is said.

I just feel it is way too early to right him off, as some here were.

Let's see how he can do in a full season and practice.
He does have decent size at the wing or CG and watching him move he also has the athleticism to take it to the basket and can create his own shot.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago Is there a different AB than I'm remembering? Because if it's Allen Betrand, I think people are overrating what he brought to the table last year, so this idea that he's going to come in after a year off due to injury and be a gamechanger for our program next year is bound to only make people disappointed in what he brings to the table next year
I would love for you to be wrong, but I think you're correct. From all accounts, he's a great kid and a hard worker, so I think he'll (hopefully) be a leader or captain next year. But I'm kind of hoping he can just contribute 10 minutes off the bench.

That's kind of my issue when I look at the 2022-23 squad. We have a lot of guys that are OK. Unlike the lean Baron years, there aren't guys you can point to and say, "Well, he's not a D1 talent at all." But because of the nature of basketball, it would be better if we had like, a superstar, A-10 POTY candidate surrounded by average players, vs. a roster full of 6s and 7s.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago Is there a different AB than I'm remembering? Because if it's Allen Betrand, I think people are overrating what he brought to the table last year, so this idea that he's going to come in after a year off due to injury and be a gamechanger for our program next year is bound to only make people disappointed in what he brings to the table next year
I like AB. I do think he’s better than what we saw last year. He showed flashes on the offensive end… He had some issues getting his groove back after sitting out for a while. Now he’s not only been sitting, but he's recovering from a nasty injury. It’s going to take time for this kid to be 100%… We need to temper expectations for him next year. If everything clicks, I think he can be a 10-11 pt scorer and solid starter.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody22
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody22 »

Rhody22 wrote: 2 years ago “Also, I do think we have a chance to be a top tier A10 team next season, if our core group returns.”

This is the BS some on here say every year. Along with anointing every Rhody recruit as an A10 first team selection.
Our core group returned for this year and it’s not looking great so far. El-Amin was mentioned as the piece we were missing to steady the backcourt and team and how he would be an instant impact. He has been pretty unimpressive overall so far.
I never said we will be a top tier A10 or NCAAT team this season.
If you have read any of my posts you should know that, in fact I had predicted us to finish 6th.
I always felt next season would be our best chance, considering we keep our core minus Shep and EA. IMO

Sorry, didn’t mean that you specifically said that in previous years. Just that every year when our performance is not where it should be, we start pointing to how much better the team will be the following year. It’s a vicious cycle…
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago
I would love for you to be wrong, but I think you're correct. From all accounts, he's a great kid and a hard worker, so I think he'll (hopefully) be a leader or captain next year. But I'm kind of hoping he can just contribute 10 minutes off the bench.

That's kind of my issue when I look at the 2022-23 squad. We have a lot of guys that are OK. Unlike the lean Baron years, there aren't guys you can point to and say, "Well, he's not a D1 talent at all." But because of the nature of basketball, it would be better if we had like, a superstar, A-10 POTY candidate surrounded by average players, vs. a roster full of 6s and 7s.
Not suggesting he is going to be an all conference player, but I think he can be a solid contributor.
Time will tell if any of our players can become stars.
Next year hopefully the twins will emerge to be a dominating force.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Not suggesting he is going to be an all conference player, but I think he can be a solid contributor.
We don't need "contributors". We have 15 of them.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Well who knows BlueRam, maybe a couple of stars will emerge.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Well who knows BlueRam, maybe a couple of stars will emerge.
Where's ECR. We need some bait cut.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I want to be wrong too, but people are just casually throwing it out there that he's going to automatically be better than EA, and I'm not seeing it. First, I'm not sure last year before the injury he was better than EA is now. Then look at the injury. Yeah EC played the whole year, but his injury happened the first game, Betrand's happened at the end. And even though EC was playing from the start, it wasn't until the end of the season that he was considered to be back.

Like I said, I hope I'm wrong. But it seems like posters on this board are setting expectations he shouldn't be expecteded to live up to, and then they'll be pissed when he doesn't
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago

I want to be wrong too, but people are just casually throwing it out there that he's going to automatically be better than EA, and I'm not seeing it. First, I'm not sure last year before the injury he was better than EA is now. Then look at the injury. Yeah EC played the whole year, but his injury happened the first game, Betrand's happened at the end. And even though EC was playing from the start, it wasn't until the end of the season that he was considered to be back.

Like I said, I hope I'm wrong. But it seems like posters on this board are setting expectations he shouldn't be expecteded to live up to, and then they'll be pissed when he doesn't
Like I said, not expecting him to be a star, but I think he has good upside.
EA came in with just this final year of eligibility.
AB will have already been in our program for 2 years and is very acquainted with the players, still has 2 seasons left.
I also like his size and ability to stretch the defense.

We realize that many times it doesn't work out, but we will see.
I don't have huge expectations for him, but willing to give him a chance.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

……if….hopefully…….maybe…….expecting………I still think we collectively over rate our recruits, I think the Cox recruiting resume is wearing thin……easy to say, but we need the EC type pioneer that wants to be here and be a corner Stone to get something going……..we have nothing to built around other than a goodie bag of contributors……..
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago ……if….hopefully…….maybe…….expecting………I still think we collectively over rate our recruits, I think the Cox recruiting resume is wearing thin……easy to say, but we need the EC type pioneer that wants to be here and be a corner Stone to get something going……..we have nothing to built around other than a goodie bag of contributors……..
We’ve been overrating every recruit and transfer for years.

That’s just not our Fanbase though, I’m sure 99% of fans do for their teams.

Fans always think a recruit is “the one” or “a steal” and is going to immediately propel them to the tournament.
Go Rhody
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

To be fair to Baron - he may not have been a very good coach, but he could recruit stars.

Cox hasn’t brought in anyone close to the level of talent as a Dawan Robinson/Will Daniels/Delroy James in terms of the ability to be THE guy.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
To be fair to Baron - he may not have been a very good coach, but he could recruit stars.

Cox hasn’t brought in anyone close to the level of talent as a Dawan Robinson/Will Daniels/Delroy James in terms of the ability to be THE guy.
How many of these three former players were POTY candidates or first-team all-A10? I just don't recall.
NCAAs or Bust!
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
section(105) wrote: 2 years ago ……if….hopefully…….maybe…….expecting………I still think we collectively over rate our recruits, I think the Cox recruiting resume is wearing thin……easy to say, but we need the EC type pioneer that wants to be here and be a corner Stone to get something going……..we have nothing to built around other than a goodie bag of contributors……..

Fans always think a recruit is “the one” or “a steal” and is going to immediately propel them to the tournament.
This is 100% true. Every time we sign a recruit we hype that player up like they are a McDonalds All American. Look up and down the roster on the recruits that have come in the last 4 years. Tyrese Martin would be easily have been the best and he left the program. This does happen at all programs as mentioned. The recruiting page has lost all interest for me since the days of going after Walker(Miami) and Naheem McLeod(Florida State)
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago

How many of these three former players were POTY candidates or first-team all-A10? I just don't recall.

Will Daniels was 2X First Team All A10.

Dawan Robinson was 1X First Team Al A10.

Delroy James was 1X Second Team All A10, 1X Third Team All A10, and 6th man of the year.

Try again.

Who has Cox brought it who ended up with those accolades?

Again, you have zero basketball knowledge.
 ! Message from: ATPTourFan
Edited for language. Watch the personal attacks, 15.
Go Rhody
NC_Ram
Steve Chubin

Unread post by NC_Ram »

RamStock wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago

This is 100% true. Every time we sign a recruit we hype that player up like they are a McDonalds All American. Look up and down the roster on the recruits that have come in the last 4 years. Tyrese Martin would be easily have been the best and he left the program. This does happen at all programs as mentioned. The recruiting page has lost all interest for me since the days of going after Walker(Miami) and Naheem McLeod(Florida State)
Let's not forget future superstar and International basketball phenom Marial Mading!
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Hahah yes! This was a great one 72
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I thought he was terrible last year. At least that's what I remember.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Rhody 72. I take your word that DC is an exceptional human being. Unfortunately, this does not mean he is a quality coach.

I went to the Davidson game, and really thought that Overall this was one of Cox’ best coached game. The strategy of covering the three’s at any cost and forcing Davidson to use up some clock by applying some soft back Court pressure was excellent. Unfortunately, the slow down when they Rhody starts their offense with 20:seconds left on the shot clock, has been a repeated coaching mistake. More analysis of the Davidson game has been done,; my bottom line was it gave me hope that things would be on an upward slope.

Then we had the St. Joseph game. We saw a team with little energy for most of the game. (Except Martin, Ish and Bassy)

A coach who appeared with little energy and poor body language;little ability to get the team more energized and an inability to have the team run a good offense and get good shots when St. Joe’s got back in the game This is a repeated failure game to game .

In short, his ability to make the most out of his players is very questionable, his ability to schedule an appropriate schedule is poor, and I believe his recruiting and roster management is Very overrated. For example, we knew we needed a point guard for this season. Somehow Davidson and even Fordham filled these holes. Cox goes for El Amin, another undersized, similar to Shep type of player.
The result: El Amin who is a fine player, does not get a fair share of minutes and the team REALLY suffers with no experienced point guard (Eg crunch time, end of game)

Something like this is a very large failure of a coach.

From where I sit, the program has regressed under Cox,

Start the search now
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

McRam wrote: 2 years ago Rhody 72. I take your word that DC is an exceptional human being. Unfortunately, this does not mean he is a quality coach.

I went to the Davidson game, and really thought that Overall this was one of Cox’ best coached game. The strategy of covering the three’s at any cost and forcing Davidson to use up some clock by applying some soft back Court pressure was excellent. Unfortunately, the slow down when they start their offense with 20:seconds left on the shot clock, has been a repeated coaching mistake. More analysis of the Davidson game has been done,; my bottom line was it gave me hope that things would be on an upward slope.

Then we had the St. Joseph game. We saw a team with little energy for most of the game. (Except Martin, Ish and Bassy)

A coach who appeared with little energy and poor body language, little ability to get the team more energized and an inability to have the team run a good offense and get good shots when St. Joe’s got back in the game

In short, his ability to make the most out of his players is very questionable, his ability to schedule an appropriate schedule is poor, and I believe his recruiting and roster management is Very overrated. For example, we knew we needed a point guard for this season. Somehow Davidson and even Fordham filled these holes. Cox goes for El Amin, another undersized, similar to Shep type of player.
The result: El Amin who is a fine player, does not get a fair share of minutes and the team REALLY suffers with no experienced point guard (Eg crunch time, end of game)

Something like this is a very large failure of a coach.

From where I sit, the program has regressed under Cox,

Start the search now
McRam,

Thanks for the game observations.
When you mention 3 players who were the exception with energy do you mean Ish Leggett or El-Amin?

I thought Cox was energized for Davidson. Having read the Davidson board they were comparing his craziness on the sideline to Hurley. Did you see that at Davidson then a difference with St Joe?

I think the plan was to have Sheppard be the PG so Cox didn’t go for a PG transfer like Davidson and Fordham did. El-Amin is more of a shooting guard who can pass but is more a shooter. So did we actually go after the right type of player needed in the first place? Still a coaching decision.

I give credit to Cox and staff for uncovering Thomas as a RI native. He offered him, cancelled the Red-Shirt strategy - maybe he saw some things in summer practices and Sept/Oct preseason practices that said Sheppard might not be the PG we thought (or El-Amin not the PG we thought) and that also led to the Thomas decision. Maybe Bozeman and/or other AC’s helped Cox with the decision to make Thomas an eligible freshman.

In addition, I give Cox credit for playing Thomas and the good results. Cox said after PC game he should have played Thomas more.

With all our dreams resting on winning the A10 Tournament to get the coveted NCAA Bid I’d play Thomas more, see what he can do with this team, roll the dice. Nothing to lose.
Our best team in A10 Tournament play could very well be Thomas running the Show, Sheppard off guard, Makhel, Walker and Leggett. Martin, Makhi and El-Amin provide solid bench and all 3 could start depending on how the remaining Conf Games go - play the best producers which defense intensity plays a huge part.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

McRam,
Being at the game (which I wasn’t - but was close to going)
How was the officiating and how was the crowd towards the officiating?
We’re you close enough to see what happened with the Tech on Makhel?
What did you thing of the no call on Leggett’s last two shots and how did the crowd react?
Do you think Davidson is the Top A10 team this year?

Thanks.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

I don’t view anything through the prism of A10 award winners considering Yuta Wantanabe was the DPOY over Stan Robinson. A10 conference awards are a joke.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I don’t view anything through the prism of A10 award winners considering Yuta Wantanabe was the DPOY over Stan Robinson. A10 conference awards are a joke.
Yuta will always have the whiner of the year award in the A10 though, can't take that away from him.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I could be wrong but I believe JimmyB was the only All-A10 first team player while Baron was coach. I don't see how/why you put down Cox by saying that Baron was a better recruiter. You are so negative on Cox.
NCAAs or Bust!
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Baron was a terrible recruiter overall. Yes he got some good players but I think it was more much of the draw. At the time with the Ryan Center brand new and the A10 a strong league he should have been able to do better.

He had a few good years when his son was there to help.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

I could be wrong but I believe JimmyB was the only All-A10 first team player while Baron was coach. I don't see how/why you put down Cox by saying that Baron was a better recruiter. You are so negative on Cox.
Ok troll, I’ll play:

What David cox recruit is more talented than Dawan Robinson, Will Daniels, Jimmy Baron, Delroy James, or Keith Cothran?

They’d have started over every cox recruit (unless cox had promised someone more minutes in recruiting).

And those players all played for Baron for 4 years.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

What David cox recruit is more talented than Dawan Robinson, Will Daniels, Jimmy Baron, Delroy James, or Keith Cothran?

They’d have started over every cox recruit (unless cox had promised someone more minutes in recruiting).

Too early to tell. Are there any 4 star recruits in your list? Also, this is a different era with more transfers. My point is that it is too early to claim Baron was better at attracting stars. Your point was to degrade Cox as a recruiter.
NCAAs or Bust!
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Too early to tell. Are there any 4 star recruits in your list? Also, this is a different era with more transfers. My point is that it is too early to claim Baron was better at attracting stars. Your point was to degrade Cox as a recruiter.
I can’t believe I’m debating with you. I mean seriously, and I mean this as a compliment; you are the greatest internet troll in history. Your commitment to coming on here for years is phenomenal. Your takes are hilarious. You’re so good unfortunately that you’ve convinced a sizeable amount of these posters to respond to your hilarious garbage.

But because of them, I just can’t in good conscience let your hilarity go unnoticed or not responded to.

And yes, my point is to denigrate Cox as a recruiter considering he’s yet to bring in anyone worthy of all-conference honors, or keep them for longer than 2 seasons.

I am most certainly not a Jim Baron fan, but the guy recruited more stars than Cox. Fact.

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

You gotta give Cox credit for Jeff. Regardless if he was the HC at that time Dowtin is all his doing. Still TBD on Leggett. I give Dan credit for Stan and Kuran so right now would give Cox credit for the twins. Transfers are no different than 4 year guys at this point tho I do believe you need a mix and cannot solely rely on the portal to build a program.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I can’t believe I’m debating with you. I mean seriously, and I mean this as a compliment; you are the greatest internet troll in history. Your commitment to coming on here for years is phenomenal. Your takes are hilarious. You’re so good unfortunately that you’ve convinced a sizeable amount of these posters to respond to your hilarious garbage.

But because of them, I just can’t in good conscience let your hilarity go unnoticed or not responded to.

And yes, my point is to denigrate Cox as a recruiter considering he’s yet to bring in anyone worthy of all-conference honors, or keep them for longer than 2 seasons.

I am most certainly not a Jim Baron fan, but the guy recruited more stars than Cox. Fact.
Yes, we are lacking the "star" power currently, but that can change.

Times have changed as far as keeping continuity in a roster especially with 1800 players in the portal last season.

Covid also restricted recruiting efforts
\
Again, my biggest concerns aren't with Cox's ability to recruit.

Blue Man very surprised by your post, since you are the one that started the thread early last season about "This Possibly Being Our Most Talented Team Ever". I dismissed that thought asap.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Times have changed as far as keeping continuity in a roster especially with 1800 players in the portal last season.

\

Blue Man very surprised by your post, since you are the one that started the thread early last season about "This Possibly Being Our Most Talented Team Ever". I dismissed that thought asap.
People are wrong from time to time. It is a message board.

A lot of the last 2 years have posting have mainly been me trying to convince myself that I should still buy in. But obviously I’ve given up on that.

Wake me when we have reason to be optimistic again.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

\

People are wrong from time to time. It is a message board.

A lot of the last 2 years have posting have mainly been me trying to convince myself that I should still buy in. But obviously I’ve given up on that.

Wake me when we have reason to be optimistic again.
Yeah LOL, I am aware of that.

I just find it funny that in just over a year's time you can do such a 180 in terms of your thoughts on Cox's ability to recruit. Really!
Talk about letting emotions get in the way of rational thinking.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Cox has gone the route of trying to build a program roster through transfers. The jury is still very much out on whether this will work at a place like URI. I however think transfers are most certainly not the method to build, enlarge, and excite a fan base. Fans will never have an emotional connection to a revolving door of players. There needs to be some player continuity for fan attachments. This route will only further diminish fan engagement.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I literally just gave you two players who were first team all A10 under Baron.

In case you can’t read, they were Will Daniels and Dawan Robinson.
Go Rhody
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Every coach has hits and misses when it comes to recruiting.

The key is, obviously, to have many more hits than misses.

Cox has brought in some decent talent, but has certainly had some flops.

Brings me to this: If Cox could get the most out of the talent that's here now, what could this team accomplish?

My guess is NIT. Like 77 has said, there's not enough to make the NCAA tourney, but 20 wins this season for sure.

Thing is, if he's extended, would he bring in better talent, and maximize their potential?

Most of us here don't think so, and that's the problem.

RF1, it's hard for a coach to bring in enough talent when it comes to transfers, and then to get them to play at a high level as a team is even harder.

You've got to be a really good coach to get that to work. Someone like a Calipari...but he can get 5 star recruits...and we can't.

Player development at a place like URI is huge....and finding those diamonds in the rough is even tougher.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago Cox has gone the route of trying to build a program roster through transfers. The jury is still very much out on whether this will work at a place like URI. I however think transfers are most certainly not the method to build, enlarge, and excite a fan base. Fans will never have an emotional connection to a revolving door of players. There needs to be some player continuity for fan attachments. This route will only further diminish fan engagement.
I get your point, and there is some merit to it, but not sure I completely agree. I felt a pretty strong connection to Iverson and Stan as URI players, and I assume most here did. So maybe it's just more of a balance that we need?
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

adam914 wrote: 2 years ago
RF1 wrote: 2 years ago Cox has gone the route of trying to build a program roster through transfers. The jury is still very much out on whether this will work at a place like URI. I however think transfers are most certainly not the method to build, enlarge, and excite a fan base. Fans will never have an emotional connection to a revolving door of players. There needs to be some player continuity for fan attachments. This route will only further diminish fan engagement.
I get your point, and there is some merit to it, but not sure I completely agree. I felt a pretty strong connection to Iverson and Stan as URI players, and I assume most here did. So maybe it's just more of a balance that we need?
Not investing in the basketball program just tells me they are either dumb or don't care about the university as a whole. Sports make money and NCAA tournament appearances are the only way this university can get national exposure.

NOBODY knows who URI is outside of NE.