Covid-19 Effect on College Basketball & Other Sports

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: Covid-19 Effect on College Basketball & Other Sports

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Latest figures from Moderna and Pfizer show breakthrough infections for those fully vaccinated are about 82 per 100,000 for Moderna, and 135 per 100,000 for Pfizer, with the vast majority of those infections not serious.

The difference is attributed to the fact that there is a larger dose of MNRA vaccine with Moderna.

Also word is out about a next generation of vaccines being developed that will likely almost completely eliminate infections....and even prevent many other diseases. And the immunity will last for years instead of months. The focus is on T cells more than antibodies, whose protection doesn't last as long. Mutants will no longer be a factor either.

Medical science is on the verge of some huge advances.

IMO Covid will be a thing of the past for those who get the next generation of shots.

Only problem is....how long before this happens?

Only things I've heard is that it could be within a year....for all of us, it can't come soon enough, especially for us old folks.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago Latest figures from Moderna and Pfizer show breakthrough infections for those fully vaccinated are about 82 per 100,000 for Moderna, and 135 per 100,000 for Pfizer, with the vast majority of those infections not serious.

The difference is attributed to the fact that there is a larger dose of MNRA vaccine with Moderna.

Also word is out about a next generation of vaccines being developed that will likely almost completely eliminate infections....and even prevent many other diseases. And the immunity will last for years instead of months. The focus is on T cells more than antibodies, whose protection doesn't last as long. Mutants will no longer be a factor either.

IMO Covid will be a thing of the past for those who get the next generation of shots.

Only things I've heard is that it could be within a year....for all of us, it can't come soon enough, especially for us old folks.
That brings me back to the high transmission level discussion...

If more than 100 per 100k is considered "high"...and the vaccine has a breakthrough rate that's more than 100 per 100k (and the combined above probably nets out at more)....even if everyone got vaccinated...with that breakthrough rate...won't we always be "high"?
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago Latest figures from Moderna and Pfizer show breakthrough infections for those fully vaccinated are about 82 per 100,000 for Moderna, and 135 per 100,000 for Pfizer, with the vast majority of those infections not serious.

If more than 100 per 100k is considered "high"...and the vaccine has a breakthrough rate that's more than 100 per 100k (and the combined above probably nets out at more)....even if everyone got vaccinated...with that breakthrough rate...won't we always be "high"?
It all depends how much the NIH gets from the $1.2T infrastructure bill to fund gain of function. Science.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago So nobody wants the mask mandate, some people aren’t wearing the masks at the seats, and now people are complaining the staff isn’t enforcing the mask mandate that nobody wants??

People bitch just because they want something to bitch about.

Lighten the hell up and enjoy the games.
There's no logic to this... it's just part of the divide and conquer strategy. I'm curious to hear from those that go, what is the vibe like in comparison to regular years? Is it raucous, subdued, in between? Is it "different"? Hard to tell from TV, on one particular set of free throws (forget who/when) it seemed so silent that it was weird almost.
My view:

I think crowds are overstated as I have mentioned. My guess is the 5,133 announced was 4,000 or less

Crowd is definitely more subdued than in past years

Everyone has a mask on except for about 10 people who I don’t understand why they are not addressed

You see people you know in the Ryan Center walking around before game and during halftime and you must talk to them through the mask. Honestly, it stinks. I get the importance of the masking but it still stinks.

The student section is tightly packed.

All the rest of sections in 100’s, 200’s and 300’s are just as you likely see on Television. Lots of empty seats within those sections which makes Covid transmission less likely obviously. Of course this is with a half full Arena.

I honestly think the experience at the games is worse than I thought it would be.

Imho, the vaccination proof should be enough. But I don’t make the rules, not sure honestly who does.
Those 10 people are addressed because IT LITERALLY DOESNT MATTER whether or not they have a mask on. Especially indoors.

How could you possibly give two flying shits?
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Perspective. Since covid hit almost 2 years ago, there have been 5.07 million deaths associated with this across the globe in total. In 2018, one year, there were 9.5 million deaths due to cancer. Each death is sad, but let's have some perspective on this thing.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago Perspective. Since covid hit almost 2 years ago, there have been 5.07 million deaths associated with this across the globe in total. In 2018, one year, there were 9.5 million deaths due to cancer. Each death is sad, but let's have some perspective on this thing.
But this is somehow much more divisive...just like the enemy wants
theblueram
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago Perspective. Since covid hit almost 2 years ago, there have been 5.07 million deaths associated with this across the globe in total. In 2018, one year, there were 9.5 million deaths due to cancer. Each death is sad, but let's have some perspective on this thing.
More divisive than "the great Negro"?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago
ramster wrote: 2 years ago

There's no logic to this... it's just part of the divide and conquer strategy. I'm curious to hear from those that go, what is the vibe like in comparison to regular years? Is it raucous, subdued, in between? Is it "different"? Hard to tell from TV, on one particular set of free throws (forget who/when) it seemed so silent that it was weird almost.
My view:

I think crowds are overstated as I have mentioned. My guess is the 5,133 announced was 4,000 or less

Crowd is definitely more subdued than in past years

Everyone has a mask on except for about 10 people who I don’t understand why they are not addressed

You see people you know in the Ryan Center walking around before game and during halftime and you must talk to them through the mask. Honestly, it stinks. I get the importance of the masking but it still stinks.

The student section is tightly packed.

All the rest of sections in 100’s, 200’s and 300’s are just as you likely see on Television. Lots of empty seats within those sections which makes Covid transmission less likely obviously. Of course this is with a half full Arena.

I honestly think the experience at the games is worse than I thought it would be.

Imho, the vaccination proof should be enough. But I don’t make the rules, not sure honestly who does.
Those 10 people are addressed because IT LITERALLY DOESNT MATTER whether or not they have a mask on. Especially indoors.

How could you possibly give two flying shits?
Ok. Then If those 10 don’t matter then don’t make anybody wear them. Thanks for making my point.
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

Did anyone check out this article in the projo

"Masks are not required to attend RI Convention Center events"
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rjv wrote: 2 years ago Did anyone check out this article in the projo

Science.
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Science.
In schools where masks are required, have you seen the outbreaks where they've need to go online and shut down in-person learning? I know in my town where masks are required in-school that the masks have worked. We've had an occasional positive case with a student or staff member...but no massive outbreaks. Amazing!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago

Science.
In schools where masks are required, have you seen the outbreaks where they've need to go online and shut down in-person learning? I know in my town where masks are required in-school that the masks have worked. We've had an occasional positive case with a student or staff member...but no massive outbreaks. Amazing!
I can appreciate that. So...your honest opinion...should there be masks at the dunk? Or, only at the Ryan Center?
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Cancer is contagious? That’s a rather large technicality.

And if someone wears a mask to go see a game it’s probably not because they are acquiescing but they’d rather see their favorite team play their favorite sport live for the first time in almost 2 years. And they are willing to be uncomfortable to do so. You wanna hold the line and stay home on principle go for it, but don’t make it some empowered moment. Serious question, are you also boycotting air travel?
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Science.
I can appreciate that. So...your honest opinion...should there be masks at the dunk? Or, only at the Ryan Center?
Dude they still don’t have sugar packets out at Starbucks bc ya know Covid. It’s airborne not transmissible on surfaces so that is beyond asinine and illogical. Still restaurant tables without salt and pepper shakers and only taking orders by touchscreen. Again, asinine. But I’m not boycotting coffee and food.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago

Dude they still don’t have sugar packets out at Starbucks bc ya know Covid. It’s airborne not transmissible on surfaces so that is beyond asinine and illogical. Still restaurant tables without salt and pepper shakers and only taking orders by touchscreen. Again, asinine. But I’m not boycotting coffee and food.
Good response, but let's try again to get an answer to the question I asked:. Should there be masks at the dunk? Or only at the Ryan Center?
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

And if someone wears a mask to go see a game it’s probably not because they are acquiescing but they’d rather see their favorite team play their favorite sport live for the first time in almost 2 years. And they are willing to be uncomfortable to do so. You wanna hold the line and stay home on principle go for it, but don’t make it some empowered moment. Serious question, are you also boycotting air travel?
Thought I already responded, but I'm not boycotting anything. I'm just not going to spend money to be in an environment in which I'm not comfortable.

Air travel... haven't even thought about it. Family travel not possible, work travel shut down. I'd rather be here in South County most of the time anyway...I'd lean towards non-air, but it certainly wouldn't be to boycott...(I don't care that much, I just want to be comfortable)
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Good response, but let's try again to get an answer to the question I asked:. Should there be masks at the dunk? Or only at the Ryan Center?
IMO neither. But my opinion does nothing to change protocols.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

……..no masks at Dunk, no masks at RC……aren’t we at the endemic phase of Covid?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago ……..no masks at Dunk, no masks at RC……aren’t we at the endemic phase of Covid?
Apparently only in certain places :lol:
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Bump. Seriously....am I missing something? If 100 per 100k is considered "high" transmission rate...and the vaxx has a breakthrough rate that's higher than that...how do we get to "not high"? Do we?
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

IMO the current "high" rate is a giant load of crap.

Yes people are getting infected, but not many are getting seriously ill.

However as vaccine protection wanes, I do expect the numbers to go up over the next few months.

More people need to get the boosters.

It's going to be a while before this is behind us...until the next generation of vaccines offers much longer lasting protection.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

For the most part yes. I flew to Miami last April, but that has been it. I usually fly multiple times a year.
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Sometimes flying is no choice. Not going to drive to Dallas and back for a wedding. I've flown a few times during this and while the masks are a pain it beats the shit out of all that driving.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

UCH21377 wrote: 2 years ago Sometimes flying is no choice. Not going to drive to Dallas and back for a wedding. I've flown a few times during this and while the masks are a pain it beats the shit out of all that driving.
Right. So for me, if I hafta, with these rules, I'll do it, but if I don't I don't. And I don't consider that a boycott in any way (that would imply I cared beyond myself).
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Oh well. So much for the numbers trending in the right direction.
https://www.golocalprov.com/news/ri-cov ... 8WBNFts-ag
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago Oh well. So much for the numbers trending in the right direction.
https://www.golocalprov.com/news/ri-cov ... 8WBNFts-ag
Pilgrim High School in Warwick went to remote learning on
Monday of this week - they announced it would happen middle of last week.

I’m sure more schools to come.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

It's here...forever...we will either A) continue to eff around with wildly inconsistent regs and requirements indefinitely or B) go back to normal. My money is on A, new (random arbitrary) normal.

Ok, on 3....dump!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago It's here...forever...we will either A) continue to eff around with wildly inconsistent regs and requirements indefinitely or B) go back to normal. My money is on A, new (random arbitrary) normal.

Ok, on 3....dump!
My money is on A),

But my guess is Fordham leaves the A10 Conference before B) happens.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Wagner just recently beat VCU in Richmond.

Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

NHRamFan wrote: 2 years ago News flash: We are still losing approximately 1000 souls each day to Covid. Primarily the unvaccinated. But let's not do anything to combat the spread. Don't get vaccinated. Don't mask up (on the outside chance you are carrying). And for goodness' sake, make sure to selectively espouse your freedoms.

As an added note of irony, today is Veteran's Day, when we honor the selfless acts of so many past, current, and future citizens who have chosen to serve and protect those they don't know, for the greater good.
Questionable data for sure, and I won't harp on the fact that if vaccinations and masks aren't doing anything to stop Covid - why are we doing it...but merely to point out that you're getting really close to counting yourself on the same level of a veteran for your "selfless act" of vaccination.

No one needed a medal or a facebook status to prove their "heroism" before 2020 getting an immunization. You made a personal health choice you thought was best for you and your family. Congrats. You are not a hero. Just doing what you think is best for you, as it should be. But getting the shot puts you nowhere near the level of drawing some type of loose connotation to veterans who served in the military.

Good grief Charlie Brown.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
NHRamFan wrote: 2 years ago News flash: We are still losing approximately 1000 souls each day to Covid. Primarily the unvaccinated. But let's not do anything to combat the spread. Don't get vaccinated. Don't mask up (on the outside chance you are carrying). And for goodness' sake, make sure to selectively espouse your freedoms.

As an added note of irony, today is Veteran's Day, when we honor the selfless acts of so many past, current, and future citizens who have chosen to serve and protect those they don't know, for the greater good.
Questionable data for sure, and I won't harp on the fact that if vaccinations and masks aren't doing anything to stop Covid - why are we doing it...but merely to point out that you're getting really close to counting yourself on the same level of a veteran for your "selfless act" of vaccination.

No one needed a medal or a facebook status to prove their "heroism" before 2020 getting an immunization. You made a personal health choice you thought was best for you and your family. Congrats. You are not a hero. Just doing what you think is best for you, as it should be. But getting the shot puts you nowhere near the level of drawing some type of loose connotation to veterans who served in the military.

Good grief Charlie Brown.
The fact that masks and vax aren't doing anything to stop Covid...so why are we doing it (but only arbitrarily, not consistently) actually needs more harping on, not less.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Getting vaccines certainly doesn't make anyone a hero but it isn't a self-serving act either. From the time we're new borns/infants, getting a whole rash of vaccines is because if every infant gets vaccinated for polio it prevents polio from ever coming back. The entire point is to create herd immunity to protect society and those immunocompromised who can't be vaccinated. But I wouldn't expect any selfish-to-a-fault person to understand that - getting vaccinated is always about trying to protect the "herd."
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rk, that sounds noble, but...if they require every single person that goes to an event to be vaxxed...the arbitrary masking (or not) is just an obvious shiitake show.

Two more weeks?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhode Island, which is 72 percent vaccinated, saw a 69 percent rise in new cases during that same 14-day time period. The state recorded an average of 480 new cases a day between November 17-24.

Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Rhode Island, which is 72 percent vaccinated, saw a 69 percent rise in new cases during that same 14-day time period. The state recorded an average of 480 new cases a day between November 17-24.

The more important numbers are hospitalizations and deaths. Even asymptomatic cases are reported in new cases. Also, do a search on Omicron. Supposedly it's not here yet, but I don't know how we're going to stop it from getting here.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago
ramster wrote: 2 years ago Rhode Island, which is 72 percent vaccinated, saw a 69 percent rise in new cases during that same 14-day time period. The state recorded an average of 480 new cases a day between November 17-24.

The more important numbers are hospitalizations and deaths. Even asymptomatic cases are reported in new cases. Also, do a search on Omicron. Supposedly it's not here yet, but I don't know how we're going to stop it from getting here.
Agree. But rate of transmission sets the rules, the rest of it is just add-on to be used to support the rate of transmission rules when it can be.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

So I guys people are going to continue to live in fear for the rest of their lives?

Get vaccinated, a booster, and wear a mask if you want.

It is here to stay, and we have to get used to living with it / the potential risks.
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago

So I guys people are going to continue to live in fear for the rest of their lives?

It is here to stay, and we have to get used to living with it / the potential risks.
Don't be silly. As long as there's opportunities to make more/better rules...there'll be plenty just waiting for a reason to do so. I doubt that by next season, you'll be able to go to a game at the Ry w/o a mask. And starting to wonder if "ever.".

"Fear for the rest of our lives (or, maybe just two more weeks?)" shall rule the day.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I don't fear it. I do what it takes to protect myself and others and go from there. Just have to be smart about it. I do everything I used to do, just a little bit differently at times.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Don't be silly. As long as there's opportunities to make more/better rules...there'll be plenty just waiting for a reason to do so. I doubt that by next season, you'll be able to go to a game at the Ry w/o a mask. And starting to wonder if "ever.".

"Fear for the rest of our lives (or, maybe just two more weeks?)" shall rule the day.
8AB8123A-7B1F-4940-9924-3C79B69AE7CA.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The media's job is to cry wolf....

Now we have the Omigod variant [took liberty with the spelling]....

All hell is breaking loose, the Dow dropped 800 points Friday....

Now I read where doctors who are at the epicenter of the breakout say that the symptoms are not serious whatsoever, at least so far.

It never ends, and isn't likely for years to come.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago The media's job is to cry wolf....

Now I read where doctors who are at the epicenter of the breakout say that the symptoms are not serious whatsoever, at least so far.

It never ends.
Ftfy
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Yea its never ending.
GO RAMS
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

No, it's never ending, but eventually will become endemic.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

If you're wondering whether this variant business is "all about the science" just ask "the scientists" why this variant is named Omicron and not Xi (which precedes Omicron in the Greek alphabet).

And also why there's video of one of the South African doctors who discovered the variant saying "it's symptoms are very mild."

Also why does Biden not need to wear a mask when he's indoors but other people do?

And I would love for someone to tell me why Biden's African travel ban isn't racist or xenophobic but Trump's was? And why we should limit travel from Africa but leave the southern border open? I know there's science all over this somewhere.

I'll hang up and listen.
Last edited by Blue Man 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
theblueram
Frank Keaney

If you rearrange the letters in Omicron you get Moronic. :lol:
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago No, it's never ending, but eventually will become endemic.
Correct. Getting vaccinated, boosted, and wearing a mask will lead this from pandemic to endemic. It will end if people just do the right things. We have the tools and we have the science. Follow it and you can live normally. The unvaccinated/unmasked are allowing COVID to spread and mutate.

Did you see what happened in June/July to COVID rates and numbers when millions got vaccinated? It dropped. The problem was not enough people got vaccinated. So this is where we are at.

Nobody is living in fear. When you click your seatbelt, is that because of fear? You still drive even though there's a chance you can get into an accident.
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago

If you're wondering whether this variant business is "all about the science" just ask "the scientists" why this variant is named Omicron and not Xi (which precedes Omicron in the Greek alphabet).

And also why there's video of one of the South African doctors who discovered the variant saying "it's symptoms are very mild."

Also why does Biden not need to wear a mask when he's indoors but other people do?

And I would love for someone to tell me why Biden's African travel ban isn't racist or xenophobic but Trump's was? And why we should limit travel from Africa but leave the southern border open? I know there's science all over this somewhere.

I'll hang up and listen.
Trump's first travel ban = "a total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States." Considering there was no basis for this, it was unconstitutional. And the fact that he left off Saudi Arabia (where Bin Laden was from) made no sense. Unless you think Trump was sucking up to the Saudi's for personal gain. But he would never do that, would he?

His COVID ban? The facts are that COVID was already here in the US when he made his announcement. By that time, his China travel ban did little (US residents could go back and forth to China) and his administration needed to work on ways to contain the spread in the country. And that, they and Trump clearly were uninterested in doing. And still to this day, many Republican leaders have done little to help public health officials. Unless of course, you count ingesting bleach and sticking a tanning lamp up your you-know-what to kill the virus as public health measures.

Southern border open? Nice Fox News talking point there. You won't even bother to read up on the facts.
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Until the rich nations help out the poor nations by sending more vaccines and helping with the infrastructure to get shots in arms, there will continue to be one variant after another, every six months or so. Not easy or cheap, to be sure, especially the second part, but it needs to happen.
It’s a shame that rich nations either have already had to dispose of many unused doses or will need to in the future, when other countries desperately need them.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The US has distributed many millions of doses to the rest of the world.

But more is needed from other countries, which to date isn't happening much.

Not easy when there are 8 billion people, and half of them live in backwater countries.

About the best we can hope for, is to take the shots when they are available....down the road, we'll need updated vaccines every year, just like the flu.