Thorr Bjorn Next Guest on Podcast

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Thorr Bjorn Next Guest on Podcast

Unread post by sbrand »

Hi Everyone, Thorr Bjorn is my next guest. Great opportunity to find out the status of the practice facility. I don’t believe there are any renderings.

Whatcha Got in terms of questions

https://youtube.com/channel/UCExqK85Jy31svKkDIii1Z6A
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: Thorr Bjorn Next Guest on Podcast

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

How have things been going with the new President?

Outside of the practice facility, what are the next big items athletics is looking to accomplish, and how close are they to starting those projects?
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

How’s the search going for the next men’s basketball coach? 😜😜😜
Slava Ukraini!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Rhody74 wrote: 2 years ago How’s the search going for the next men’s basketball coach? 😜😜😜
Classic :D
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody74 wrote: 2 years ago How’s the search going for the next men’s basketball coach? 😜😜😜
Beautiful...or, maybe something like, " I know there's currently a men's bb coach in place, but IF YOU WERE looking for a new coach...what would that look like, and would you consider The Rick this time?"
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

I plan to ask him some thorrny questions like how close were we to keeping Dan. How the new head coach search went after Hurley left?
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

Ask about Parlange’s committment to mbb compared to Dooley and his expectations on the frequency of making the dance. What is our floor for expectations? Once every 4 years?
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

sbrand wrote: 2 years ago I plan to ask him some thorrny questions like how close were we to keeping Dan. How the new head coach search went after Hurley left?
……all due respect, do we really care how close we were to keeping Dan, etc…..seriously?……the thorny questions for me would center on currently where the bar is for the men’s hoops program……still about “winning championships”………?
Last edited by section(105) 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Can he add anything about the Todd Bozeman hire?
Last edited by Jersey77 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Can you ask him why we cheap out on coach contracts? Like, pay for a coach to take us to the NCAAT. And set the bar. Then we won't have to have the board debating it. The coach would know. NCAAT or Bust!!!!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Scott,

Thanks for putting together another interview.
I thought your interview with Tammi was phenomenal. Loved how you had the questions written on the podcast so that 95% or more of the talking was Tammi. Great idea and touch.

Here are some suggested questions / topics…..not necessarily in order of priority…..

1. What’s the story about Cooley canceling the URI game last year? How does the fact PC finished 13-13 and URI finished 10-15 make the cancel decision look now to both schools?

2. Why is the OOC schedule look so weak this season as compared to the past 8 years? Feels more like Jim Baron created it. Do you have any say in the OOC schedule or is that left 100% to the Head Coach and his staff? One poster here believes the AD is involved with the HC on creating the OOC.

3. Any progress to improve Wi-Fi in Ryan Center? And also on the overall campus?

4. Was Rick Pitino a serious candidate 4 years ago?

5. What is the minimum that David Cox needs to do this season to keep his job in 2022-2023? And get a contract extension.

6. How has Tammy Reiss performed at URI? How far above your wildest expectations? Does her performance and that of her staff raise the bar for the men’s team in your view? Do you think they will be favored to win the A10 this season?

7. Any plans for lights on the Baseball Field? Any other Baseball facility improvements planned? Lights could also help with summer use of the Baseball field for the various organizations that use it.

8. How did we get the NY Rangers practicing at Boss Arena this month? Does URI get much money for that?

9. How have the Assistant Coach changes for URI Football impacted the team the past 1-2 years? How are you feeling about URI Football now? And thank you for keeping the faith when some talked of dropping the program for many years.

10. Are the East stands safe? Have they been inspected? Some posters believe they are unsafe - to which you say to them?

11. Why was the new bike path located just behind the East Stands? Any plans to move the path or build new stands around or over it?

12. What are the short, medium and long term plans for Meade Stadium?

13. How happy are you to have reneged on the NEC to stay in the CAA?

14. Do you think the A10 should dump Fordham from the A10? Many posters want Fordham gone as they say Fordham pulls URI and the A10 down. You would say to them?

15. Is Todd Bozeman a legitimate candidate in your eyes to replace David Cox if this years team fails to achieve its goal? Did you play a role in Bozeman coming to URI and replacing previous Assistant Coach?

16. How are you feeling about your new hire Softball Head Coach so far, knowingly very early?

17. What plans are there for improving the Softball facility?

18. What plans are there for improving the Soccer facility?

19. Other news and updates?
Last edited by ramster 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Scott,

Thanks for putting together another interview.
I thought your interview with Tammi was phenomenal. Loved how you had the questions written on the podcast so that 95% or more of the talking was Tammi. Great idea and touch.

Here are some suggested questions / topics…..not necessarily in order of priority…..

1. What’s the story about Cooley canceling the URI game last year? How does the fact PC finished 13-13 and URI finished 10-15 make the cancel decision look now to both schools?

2. Why is the OOC schedule look weak this season? Do you have any say in the OOC schedule or is that left 100% to the Head Coach and his staff? One poster here believes the AD is involved with the HC on creating the OOC.

3. Any progress to improve Wi-Fi in Ryan Center? And also on the overall campus?

4. Was Rick Pitino a serious candidate 4 years ago?

5. What is the minimum that David Cox needs to do this season to keep his job in 2022-2023? And get a contract extension.

6. How has Tammy Reiss performed at URI? How far above your wildest expectations? Does her performance and that of her staff raise the bar for the men’s team in your view?

7. Any plans for lights on the Baseball Field?

8. How did we get the NY Rangers practicing at Boss Arena this month? Does URI get much money for that?

9. How have the Assistant Coach changes for URI Football impacted the team the past 1-2 years? How are you feeling about URI Football now? And thank you for keeping the faith when some talked of dropping the program for many years.

10. Are the East stands safe? Have they been inspected? Some posters believe they are unsafe - to which you say to them?

11. Why was the new bike path located just behind the East Stands? Any plans to move the path or build new stands around or over it?

12. What are the short, medium and long term plans for Meade Stadium?

13. How happy are you to have reneged on the NEC to stay in the CAA?

14. Do you think the A10 should dump Fordham from the A10? Many posters want Fordham gone as they say Fordham pulls URI and the A10 down. You would say to them?
or you can ask him if he and Cox had any discussion regarding the OOC schedule and his take on it. He was previously quoted as saying last year he was involved in the PC situation and also thanked the basketball and his administrative staff for their efforts in getting the schedule put together. That was when we were able to get the Wisconsin game finalized. Like I said many times he (administrative staff) is involved in the process, not necessarily lining up the competition.

From GoRhody 12/7/2020.
"We knew going into the year that this season would be unlike any other," Rhode Island Director of Athletics Thorr Bjorn said. "This is a fantastic opportunity that came together quickly, and we are grateful to Wisconsin for its willingness to work together to make it happen. Our basketball and administrative staffs are continuing to work tirelessly to explore every possibility, and it shows in the strength of our schedule."

I was responding to those who were pointing fingers at Cox that he purposely botched the schedule for his own positive gains to the detriment of the program. I just wonder what Thorr's response to that would be.
Last edited by Jersey77 2 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

There is zero chance he answers anything about potentially hiring a new basketball coach weeks before a season starts.

That would would terrible practice and set a horrible precedent.

Mine would be:

Are we closer to getting beers in seats at games / WiFi improvements?
Status of practice facility?
Thoughts and opinions on conference realignment and what it means for Rhody and the A10?
Go Rhody
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

…….are there incentives in the Jim Fleming contract……..
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago There is zero chance he answers anything about potentially hiring a new basketball coach weeks before a season starts.

That would would terrible practice and set a horrible precedent.

Mine would be:

Are we closer to getting beers in seats at games / WiFi improvements?
Status of practice facility?
Thoughts and opinions on conference realignment and what it means for Rhody and the A10?
särˌkazəm/
noun
the use of irony to mock or convey contempt.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I would be very curious as to his thoughts about possible A10 expansion, since he has been the sitting chair of A10 AD's.

Also would the A10 ever consider expanding to 19-20 conference games (basketball).
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago I would be very curious as to his thoughts about possible A10 expansion, since he has been the sitting chair of A10 AD's.

Also would the conference ever consider expanding to 19-20 conference games (basketball).
……..and/or would the A-10 consider, being basketball centric, consider contraction of the league……?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago
Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago I would be very curious as to his thoughts about possible A10 expansion, since he has been the sitting chair of A10 AD's.

Also would the conference ever consider expanding to 19-20 conference games (basketball).
……..and/or would the A-10 consider, being basketball centric, consider contraction of the league……?
Doubtful he would throw any other programs under the bus, at least not publicly.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

To be clear, my “question” was mentioned in jest. I’m on the record that Cox should be given at least this year to prove himself.
Slava Ukraini!
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

Fair point on Hurley. I would like to ask the toughest questions that have the most realistic chance of being answered. As far as the schedule is concerned, I think whoever put it together had an eye on the team gaining confidence with a winning record going into the A10. This team has to learn how to win again and the competition is strong enough in the A10 to control our destiny.

But once again thanks for the nice words about the Tammy Reiss interview. You tune in to see the guest not me.

And the questions are phenomenal. Some are so detailed oriented that it confirms my belief there is not a more knowledgeable board out there.

As far as the tough questions, ask away. Let’s have some fun in this exchange. Some of them are hilarious.

Thanks guys again for being so supportive of the podcast but more importantly the program.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

sbrand wrote: 2 years ago Fair point on Hurley. I would like to ask the toughest questions that have the most realistic chance of being answered. As far as the schedule is concerned, I think whoever put it together had an eye on the team gaining confidence with a winning record going into the A10. This team has to learn how to win again and the competition is strong enough in the A10 to control our destiny.

But once again thanks for the nice words about the Tammy Reiss interview. You tune in to see the guest not me.

And the questions are phenomenal. Some are so detailed oriented that it confirms my belief there is not a more knowledgeable board out there.

As far as the tough questions, ask away. Let’s have some fun in this exchange. Some of them are hilarious.

Thanks guys again for being so supportive of the podcast but more importantly the program.
The making of the schedule is not a 1 person job. The HC is responsible for seeking out the competition but it is a group effort in bringing it all to fruition.
I will guarantee you this, that Thorr and the administration are completely onboard with it.
Being the AD and since the men's basketball program is our most highly profile program, if he did have any serious questions or issues with it, he would of discussed it with Cox.
The schedule is what it is, the final results will give us a good indication of where things are headed.
Last edited by Jersey77 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

Is there a definite date to start construction on the basketball practice area? We have heard and seen drawings for years, when will it be finally done.
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

Why isn’t there banners inside the Ryan Center of former players that meant so much to this program?

Hell, the football team has something up.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhodysk wrote: 2 years ago Is there a definite date to start construction on the basketball practice area? We have heard and seen drawings for years, when will it be finally done.
I'd wager there is no concrete answer on this, or it would be public already.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Thorr isn't going to answer any questions about Cox, other than to give a standard AD speak answer. Everything is great, until it isn't.

The biggest question for me, is the status of the BB practice facility.

I'm sure he will say something about us being a football school now...ha ha.
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

Well here is the Thorr Bjorn Podcast

Topics Covered

How asst. AD initiated the hiring of Tammy Reiss
Worked in ticket department of UMass during Calipari era including a number one ranking and final four appearance
Trying to contain the crowd of 400k fans who couldn’t get tickets to the Temple game.
Returning to Umass after taking a corporate job after nine years
Non glamorous side of starting out in the Umass athletic department
How he became the interim AD at Umass
Great time to be an AD
The back story how URI got the New England Patriots plane to fly to Towson game
What we should expect from new president Marc Palange
Methodology and process for raising money
What is the status of the practice facility
and charter flight. When construction starts and projected opening
Impact of 125k for WBB
Cost of chartering 42k
How he turned around the football program
Thoughts on retiring #s with Kenny Green video on his take on the matter
Talks about relationship with coach Hurley
Whose responsible when Coach is fired
How close URI football was to switching conferences
Asked him about PC cancelling in state game last season
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

The PC situation felt a lot like Thor was told what was happening and he had to nod along as a little brother does. The reality of this relationship is we need PC a lot more than they need us (whether posters here want to believe it or not)
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

Well put. They have leverage most definitely.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I think you broke some news on the practice facility. Plans are being drawn in preparation for bids to go out with an eye for groundbreaking in May. Only $700k in fundraising to go. I haven’t seen this anywhere else. Great interview!
Slava Ukraini!
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

Also the charter flights. Those are expensive.