2021-22 Schedule (top post is current)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Re: 2021-22 Schedule (top post is current)

Unread post by Jersey77 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago With our record last season, Cox in a make or break year and needing as many wins as possible, can't say I'm surprised we're in a tournament like this.

I haven't looked at all the others MTE tournaments, but I think its safe to say this one is towards the bottom of competitiveness.
I can't imagine a bunch of empty wins that don't get us close to a tournament bid would be enough to keep his job, or rather I should say I hope not. Seriously, it's painful how deep into the Baron playbook this program is right now
I will be very concerned if Thor is not thinking this is an NCAA or BUST year.
I don't think that will be the case.
As long as Thorr sees a dramatic improvement and no late season collapse, Cox will probably get a least 5 years. IMO
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Ramtastico wrote: 3 years ago Wait a minute!! Not good enough?? I thought with Fatts leaving we are going to be such a better team?? Which is it?
Can't both be true?
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago With our record last season, Cox in a make or break year and needing as many wins as possible, can't say I'm surprised we're in a tournament like this.

I haven't looked at all the others MTE tournaments, but I think its safe to say this one is towards the bottom of competitiveness.
I can't imagine a bunch of empty wins that don't get us close to a tournament bid would be enough to keep his job, or rather I should say I hope not. Seriously, it's painful how deep into the Baron playbook this program is right now
"NCAA or Bust year"? Why? Do you expect the team to be better next year? If so, please explain why...I need a reason for some optimism. Thanks.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago

"NCAA or Bust year"? Why? Do you expect the team to be better next year? If so, please explain why...I need a reason for some optimism. Thanks.
Probably not an NCAAT team, but the additional year with this roster should make a huge difference. Also Makhi back in the lineup will help and would expect to see a more consistent Ish along with Shep as the leader.
Hopefully Boz will be a step up from Sutton and be a strong #2 guy.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

VCU will play in the 2021 Battle 4 Atlantis in the Bahamas in November - strong field composed of Arizona State, Auburn, Baylor, UConn,
Loyola-Chicago, Michigan State, Syracuse.
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago

As long as Thorr sees a dramatic improvement and no late season collapse, Cox will probably get a least 5 years. IMO
No extension for dramatic improvement. The need for "dramatic improvement" is a direct result of the regression the team has experienced under Cox. Cox shouldn't get an extension for fixing his own mess, he should get an extension for an NCAA Tournament bid and that's that.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

STC wrote: 3 years ago
No extension for dramatic improvement. The need for "dramatic improvement" is a direct result of the regression the team has experienced under Cox. Cox shouldn't get an extension for fixing his own mess, he should get an extension for an NCAA Tournament bid and that's that.
We will see, but I don't think Thorr will fire Cox if we have a good season without an NCAAT bid.
If that were the case he would of moved on this year after a 10-15 record. With all the returning and incoming talent in the top tier A10, a bid this year seems very unlikely.
He will probably let Cox ride it out with this group he brought in, especially if he sees much improvement this year.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

It is borderline unprecedented for a coach to actually coach out the last year of his contract. It would be nearly impossible to recruit ... This year is more of a shit or get off the pot year ... You either extend him after this season that way opposition isn't trying to negatively recruit that the guy recruiting you may not even be there when you get on campus (which is somewhat believable given the fact there would have been no commitment from the school at that point), or you let him go and try again with the next guy.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 years ago It is borderline unprecedented for a coach to actually coach out the last year of his contract. It would be nearly impossible to recruit ... This year is more of a shit or get off the pot year ... You either extend him after this season that way opposition isn't trying to negatively recruit that the guy recruiting you may not even be there when you get on campus (which is somewhat believable given the fact there would have been no commitment from the school at that point), or you let him go and try again with the next guy.
Yes, if the team is trending in a positive direction after this season, I can see Cox getting a short term extension.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Five years without a tournament in Cox' first four years? If Thorr does that we don't just have a men's basketball coaching issue we have a president and AD issue
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I don't think we'll be a tournament team, but it's NCAA or bust because if we don't make it next year Cox will have been an undeniable failure here, you can't let him coach the last year under contract and you can't extend him, so you have to move on
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Thank you! Only Jim Harrick inherited the basketball program in a better position than Cox at least for the first year, and Cox inherited the program in its best ever position to change coaches and still experience long term success. Building block pieces and the best recruiting class in history coming off of two years of NCAA tournaments and wins and in 3 years Cox squandered all of it. Right now we're talking about playing in a third rate tournament with BC, Tulsa, and Air Force because Cox is trying to pad his win total, no good tournament would have us, or both.

It's not about firing Cox if we don't make the tournament in 2021-22, it's about firing him because he's failed for four years at that point. If he made the tournament in year one or three, or had us in position in year 2, none of these conversations are happening. If we knew he wouldn't have us in the tournament, or tournament position, in his three years no one would have thought he should be hired. He's fallen short based on almost every metric when judging the performance of a NCAA men's basketball coach
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

We will see, but I don't think Thorr will fire Cox if we have a good season without an NCAAT bid.
If that were the case he would of moved on this year after a 10-15 record. With all the returning and incoming talent in the top tier A10, a bid this year seems very unlikely.
He will probably let Cox ride it out with this group he brought in, especially if he sees much improvement this year.
Maybe Thorr didn't have the ability to let Cox go after this past season with the change in presidents or there was a lack of funds for buying out two years. That Cox hasn't been extended while he has had no problem extending Reiss indicates the seat is very warm
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhowdy Ram is right.

2018 is a long time ago now.

There is no excitement, no belief, no identity with this team.

Cox is on life support.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

We would have to be at least a bubble team come selection Sunday, along with a strong finish to get there, for Cox to even have a chance of getting another year or two.

With all of the coaching issues that have been discussed here many times...I just don't see it happening.

Hiring Todd is more or less a Hail Mary attempt at turning things around.

I think there's a better chance of TB becoming our next HC, than Cox staying.

Thorr has to have a long term plan for this program, as he seems to now have with Tammi. And it doesn't include DC imo.
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Five years without a tournament in Cox' first four years? If Thorr does that we don't just have a men's basketball coaching issue we have a president and AD issue

The new President angle is also something that will factor into this decision. If URI wins 20 games, misses the tournament and Cox is extended for five years, that does nothing but take Cox off the hot seat (for the time being) and put Thorr's ass squarely on it. Does Thorr want to be hearing grumbling from an alumni base about the Baron Era redux when he himself has a new boss to answer to?
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

The new President angle is also something that will factor into this decision. If URI wins 20 games, misses the tournament and Cox is extended for five years, that does nothing but take Cox off the hot seat (for the time being) and put Thorr's ass squarely on it. Does Thorr want to be hearing grumbling from an alumni base about the Baron Era redux when he himself has a new boss to answer to?
If we have a decent season but miss the NCAAT, I can see Cox getting a short term extension, probably 2 years.
I don't see Thorr giving Cox an ultimatum on making the 'Dance" this upcoming season to keep his job.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Sad, but I don't think Thorr will fire Cox, period. Ever. I wasn't here for the you-know-who years, but was he fired?
And, if not him, has there ever been a MBB HC actually fired here?
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Thank you! Only Jim Harrick inherited the basketball program in a better position than Cox at least for the first year, and Cox inherited the program in its best ever position to change coaches and still experience long term success. Building block pieces and the best recruiting class in history coming off of two years of NCAA tournaments and wins and in 3 years Cox squandered all of it. Right now we're talking about playing in a third rate tournament with BC, Tulsa, and Air Force because Cox is trying to pad his win total, no good tournament would have us, or both.

It's not about firing Cox if we don't make the tournament in 2021-22, it's about firing him because he's failed for four years at that point. If he made the tournament in year one or three, or had us in position in year 2, none of these conversations are happening. If we knew he wouldn't have us in the tournament, or tournament position, in his three years no one would have thought he should be hired. He's fallen short based on almost every metric when judging the performance of a NCAA men's basketball coach
This is the key....how many people would agree with that statement, "if we knew.....", but still don't think he s/b let go?
Would be interesting to hear from DC defenders that say, "oh, I still think we should have hired him, even if we knew we wouldn't make the tourney in the first three years post-DH"...'cuz, I'm guessing that's no one. And, if it's no one then, why is it anyone now?
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Sad, but I don't think Thorr will fire Cox, period. Ever. I wasn't here for the you-know-who years, but was he fired?

So by your logic, you think Cox is going to:

A. Coach here till he retires
B: leave here to go to a different/better job in the midst of his contract
C: Fulfill his contract and be a lame duck coach in his last year
D. Resign

Pretty crazy thought process there.

And yes, Baron was fired.
Last edited by Rhody15 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago

B: leave here to go to a different/better job in the midst of his contracting
D. Resign

Hallelujah...hope lives
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago

B: leave here to go to a different/better job in the midst of his contracting
D. Resign

Hallelujah...hope lives
Baron Firing Day comes up in my Facebook memories every year and I celebrate
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago Sad, but I don't think Thorr will fire Cox, period. Ever. I wasn't here for the you-know-who years, but was he fired?

URI has fired three of the previous nine coaches (before Cox) since I began following the team back in 1977. Four of these nine coaches left for higher profile jobs (Texas/BC/Georgia/UConn). One left for health reasons and the other left to pursue a job outside the college game.

Jack Kraft / 1973-1980 / record 103-88 / stepped down due to health issues
Claude English / 1980-1984 / record 45-66 / while a storied alumnus, he was fired
Brendan Malone / 1984-1986 / record 17-39 / stepped down on his own - might have been fired if he did not change (team did have good talent)
Tom Penders / 1986-1988 / record 48-17 / left to take job at Texas
Al Skinner / 1988-1997 / record 138-126 / was unhappy school had not earlier extended him - left to take job at Boston College
Jim Harrick / 1997-1999 / record 45-22 / left after much back & forth drama to take job at Georgia
Jerry DeGregorio / 1999-2001 / record 12-48 / fired in 2nd year before the season even ended
Jim Baron / 2001-2012 / record 184-166 / fired with an overall winning record but no NCAA appearances

Dan Hurley / 2012-2018 / record 91-76 / left to take job at UConn
David Cox / 2018-present / record 49-39 / current head coach
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote: 3 years ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago Sad, but I don't think Thorr will fire Cox, period. Ever. I wasn't here for the you-know-who years, but was he fired?

URI has fired three of the previous nine coaches (before Cox) since I began following the team back in 1977. Four of these nine coaches left for higher profile jobs (Texas/BC/Georgia/UConn). One left for health reasons and the other left to pursue a job outside the college game.

Jack Kraft / 1973-1980 / record 103-88 / stepped down due to health issues
Claude English / 1980-1984 / record 45-66 / while a storied alumnus, he was fired
Brendan Malone / 1984-1986 / record 17-39 / stepped down on his own - might have been fired if he did not change (team did have good talent)
Tom Penders / 1986-1988 / record 48-17 / left to take job at Texas
Al Skinner / 1988-1997 / record 138-126 / was unhappy school had not earlier extended him - left to take job at Boston College
Jim Harrick / 1997-1999 / record 45-22 / left after much back & forth drama to take job at Georgia
Jerry DeGregorio / 1999-2001 / record 12-48 / fired in 2nd year before the season even ended
Jim Baron / 2001-2012 / record 184-166 / fired with an overall winning record but no NCAA appearances

Dan Hurley / 2012-2018 / record 91-76 / left to take job at UConn
David Cox / 2018-present / record 49-39 / current head coach
RF1,
When you say Baron was fired with a winning record it can sound like maybe he should not have been fired. I don't think you mean it that way, but it can be interpreted as such.

Baron was a disaster in the all important A10 Conference play.
  • He never finished 1st
  • He was only (82-93) in A10 Conference play, a paltry .469 winning percentage
  • Best he did was tie for 2nd
  • 5 of 11 years he finished below .500 in A10 Conference Play
  • He had the benefit of a new Ryan Center, a premier playing facility on the east coast and woefully underachieved
  • Intentionally padded his record by scheduling cupcakes galore in OOC schedule, including weak Holiday Tournaments
  • Bragged shamelessly about his 20 win seasons over and over and over again
2001–02 (7–19) (3–12) 12th
2002–03 (19–12) (10–6) T–4th - NIT Second Round
2003–04 (20–14) (7–9) 7th - NIT First Round
2004–05 (6–22) (4–12) 11th
2005–06 (14–14) (8–8) T–7th
2006–07 (19–14) (10–6) T–4th
2007–08 (21–12) (7–9) T–9th - NIT First Round
2008–09 (23–11) (11–5) T–2nd - NIT Second Round
2009–10 (26–10) (9–7) T–5th - NIT Semifinals
2010–11 (20–14) (9–7) 6th - CBI Quarterfinals
2011–12 (7–24) (4–12) 13th

Overall (184-166) = .526
Other (102-73) = .583
A10 Conference (82-93) = .469
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Ramster
Baron did not get fired for his overall record which was actually decent when compared to just the win/loss records of many other Rhody coaches. Just compare his overall URI record to Skinner and Hurley. He was ultimately fired for never having reached the NCAA and having the program headed in a downward trajectory. It actually would not surprise me if Jim Baron was the only URI Men's head coach with a winning overall record at the school to have ever been fired.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Dayton has been invited to the ESPN Events Invitational in Orlando in late November. Formerly known as the Orlando Invitational, the eight team field besides Dayton includes Alabama, Belmont, Drake, Iona, Kansas, Miami (FL), North Texas.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Obadiah wrote: 3 years ago Dayton has been invited to the ESPN Events Invitational in Orlando in late November. Formerly known as the Orlando Invitational, the eight team field besides Dayton includes Alabama, Belmont, Drake, Iona, Kansas, Miami (FL), North Texas.
Dayton usually gets invited to good tournaments every season. It is mainly because they typically have GOOD teams and furthermore, their large fanbase travels VERY well ensuring many sold tickets.

In addition to this 2021 Orlando tourney, it appears that they will face even more elite teams in 2022.

Last edited by RF1 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
4Diffs
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 4Diffs »

RF1 wrote: 3 years ago Ramster
Baron did not get fired for his overall record which was actually decent when compared to just the win/loss records of many other Rhody coaches. Just compare his overall URI record to Skinner and Hurley. He was ultimately fired for never having reached the NCAA and having the program headed in a downward trajectory. It actually would not surprise me if Jim Baron was the only URI Men's head coach with a winning overall record at the school to have ever been fired.
Disagree with the above and agree 100% with Ramster. Baron was fired because his teams were a disaster in the A10. That is the reason why he was fired, and should have been fired. You have to be able to compete at a higher level in your own conference. Every year, he would play cupcake city and everyone would say, yes this is the year. Then the cold harsh reality that it was all smoke and mirrors when A10 play began. His teams never got better, only worse, and they could never win a big game that they needed to. That, and his own lack of accountability for any of this, was the reason why he was justifiably fired. His won/loss record was completely fraudulent, and that is proven when you look at the A10 record.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Al Skinner had a losing A-10 record at URI.
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

It depends how you look at it, kind of a matter of perspective. Skinner's poor A10 record was mainly due to facing some great programs in the league during its peak era. Besides some power conference opponents, a large majority of the non-conference schedule was easier than the conference schedule.

On the other hand, Baron's poor A10 record was due to the team constantly getting worse as the year progressed. There would be years we'd have a great record vs decent non-con competition, then choke against much weaker opponents during the conference slate.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

St Bonaventure will participate in the 2021 Charleston Classic in SC in November. Other teams in the eight team field include Boise State, Clemson, Elon, Marquette, Ole Miss, Temple, and West Virginia.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Obadiah wrote: 3 years ago St Bonaventure will participate in the 2021 Charleston Classic in SC in November. Other teams in the eight team field include Boise State, Clemson, Elon, Marquette, Ole Miss, Temple, and West Virginia.
This is good for the Bonnies and reflective of the fact they just came off an NCAA appearance and return most starters with high expectations for this upcoming season. Most years, SBU is in second rate tourneys. In their last MTE before Covid back in 2019-20, they were in Boca Raton with games versus Mercer, Univ of San Diego (not San Diego State U), and Hofstra. In 2018-19, they played Georgia St, Boise State, and Akron in Grand Cayman.
Brian Forster
ARD

Unread post by Brian Forster »

I am with 4Diffs-Baron stunk and they couldn't wait to get rid of him.
The goal for URI hoops should be NCAA tourney-period.
RAMFAN
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RAMFAN »

somebody on the old site showed baron's record in conference games 1st time vs vs the 2nd time played. bad, very bad
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Davidson will participate in the 2021 Myrtle Beach Invitational in late November. Other teams in the 8 team field include East Carolina, Indiana State, New Mexico State, Oklahoma, Old Dominion, Penn and Utah State.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ACC matchups for the projected top 2 A10 schools on 12/17.

RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Fordham will play Miami in Brooklyn as part of 4 game event:

Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Duquesne will participate in the 2021 Paradise Jam to be held in late November in St. Thomas, V.I. Other schools in the eight team field are Bradley, Brown, Colorado, Colorado State, Creighton, Northeastern and Southern Illinois
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Great matchup Bonnies vs. UConn in NJ.
Projected top A10 team and one of the top BE teams.

RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago Great matchup Bonnies vs. UConn in NJ.
Projected top A10 team and one of the top BE teams.

The Bonnies are putting together their best OOC slate in decades. They typically play weak OOC schedules and this has hurt their NCAA prospects. That will not be the case this year. While they still cannot get good teams to visit them in western New York, they are meeting many on neutral courts in 2021. SBU will play a game vs UConn in Newark-NJ and a game vs Va Tech in Charlotte-NC. The also will play three MTE tournament games in Charleston-SC against a field of Boise State, Clemson, Elon, Marquette, Ole Miss, Temple and West Virginia. With all their returning talent, they are position themselves for a better chance at an at large bid.
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Rhode Island
Home: Duquesne, La Salle, Richmond, Saint Louis, Davidson, Dayton, George Washington, Massachusetts, Saint Joseph’s
Away: Fordham, George Mason, VCU, St. Bonaventure, Davidson, Dayton, George Washington, Massachusetts, Saint Joseph’s
79RhodyFan
Steve Chubin

Unread post by 79RhodyFan »

CamsRams wrote: 3 years ago Rhode Island
Home: Duquesne, La Salle, Richmond, Saint Louis, Davidson, Dayton, George Washington, Massachusetts, Saint Joseph’s
Away: Fordham, George Mason, VCU, St. Bonaventure, Davidson, Dayton, George Washington, Massachusetts, Saint Joseph’s
They don't play Fordham or Duquesne?
79RhodyFan
Steve Chubin

Unread post by 79RhodyFan »

79RhodyFan wrote: 3 years ago
CamsRams wrote: 3 years ago Rhode Island
They don't play Fordham or Duquesne?
Opps I didn't see them, my bad
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Lost home/home w VCU.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

CamsRams wrote: 3 years ago Lost home/home w VCU.
Replaced with George Washington in case you're wondering if the A10 thinks we'll rebound this year
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Replaced with George Washington in case you're wondering if the A10 thinks we'll rebound this year
Without Bones and Ace I'm not sure VCU will do much of anything this year.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Home
Boston College
Brown
Sacred Heart
Duquesne
La Salle
Richmond
Saint Louis
Davidson
Dayton
George Washington
Massachusetts
Saint Joe's

Just look at that home slate! Good luck selling tickets for that shit!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Section104 wrote: 3 years ago
Without Bones and Ace I'm not sure VCU will do much of anything this year.
But again, we're comparing them to George Washington. At least VCU gives you some type of rivalry aspect and potential quality. George Washington is straight up Nyquil. The only buzz surrounding this program anymore is the snoring