Assistant Coach Opening in Men's Basketball

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Re: Assistant Coach Opening in Men's Basketball

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I hate to throw gasoline on the “fire Cox” meme, but Bozeman would make a good interim coach if Cox is canned.
Slava Ukraini!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody74 wrote: 3 years ago I hate to throw gasoline on the “fire Cox” meme, but Bozeman would make a good interim coach if Cox is canned.
I don't see Cox being canned midway thru the season unless he's like 0-12 or something outrageous off the court happens.
Last edited by Rhody15 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Go Rhody
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Given the circumstances it seems like a decent hire. Hopefully he can still recruit, but should be a solid voice to have on the bench and in practice.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Is the older Carrol out as well?
4Diffs
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 4Diffs »

A much needed upgrade. I hope it works out well for both. Is John Carroll still on the staff? Same question that KevanBoyles asked. I do not know. I have my thoughts on it that I have already expressed.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

4Diffs wrote: 3 years ago A much needed upgrade. I hope it works out well for both. Is John Carroll still on the staff? Same question that KevanBoyles asked. I do not know. I have my thoughts on it that I have already expressed.
Unlikely. There won’t be a press release for it.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I love the hire as well . Coached Jason Kidd at Cal into the sweet 16 and former Rhody player in the early to mid 80s
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Hey I didn't think we'd get someone as accomplished as him!

Wonderful addition!
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 3 years ago
ace wrote: 3 years ago
Bo Bo wrote: 3 years ago No I'm not Todd Bozeman.
Congrats on the job not-Todd Bozeman.

(no I don’t think you are him)
Bo Bo just joined Keaney Blue one day ago. Welcome to the KB Board Bo Bo :D :D
Bo Bo Bozeman!
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Section104 wrote: 3 years ago He recruited Jason Kidd (legally or illegally, who knows?), which means he has some sort of ability to close.

In the middle of the sleepy Baron years I was shouting to bring on Bozeman as a head coach so I'd say I'm pleasantly surprised on this choice as an assistant.

Risky? Sure. Not a whole lot to lose at this point and to echo what others are saying - we're not exactly an ideal landing spot for a top tier assistant with Cox's future TBD.
If I recall correctly, Jason Kidd was already at Cal and lobbied hard for Todd Bozeman to be promoted to head coach.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Damn, I was hoping for Charles Barkley.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I'll come out of hibernation, to say I think this is a good hire, Bozeman's experience as a HC should help Cox.

It gives Cox his best chance to save his job imo. However, if Cox is indeed fired after next season, would TB be retained?

We'll see.
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

I like it! Bozeman will hopefully be to this team what the rug was to my room, man.
Well, this is it. Do or die for Cox in my opinion. Still has a decent squad. Has a decent assistant. Should now have all the tools to be one of the top teams in the A10. If that doesn't happen, I think that will be it for him. In my opinion, coaching is just as much about making adjustments as it is about imposing your philosophy & style of play on a team. If something isn't working you either change & try to stay afloat or go down with the ship.
Based on what I witnessed last year from Cox, if significant improvements aren't made in defensive discipline, in game adjustments, & game management, the team will be a mediocre AAU team at best. If improvements are made in those areaa, then I could see the team making the NCAA tournament with ease.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

The Dude wrote: 3 years ago I like it! Bozeman will hopefully be to this team what the rug was to my room, man.
Well, this is it. Do or die for Cox in my opinion. Still has a decent squad. Has a decent assistant. Should now have all the tools to be one of the top teams in the A10. If that doesn't happen, I think that will be it for him. In my opinion, coaching is just as much about making adjustments as it is about imposing your philosophy & style of play on a team. If something isn't working you either change & try to stay afloat or go down with the ship.
Based on what I witnessed last year from Cox, if significant improvements aren't made in defensive discipline, in game adjustments, & game management, the team will be a mediocre AAU team at best. If improvements are made in those areaa, then I could see the team making the NCAA tournament with ease.
I don't see us making the NCAAT with ease, that would be quite a leap.
Realistically how many A10 teams do you think would get a bid?
I think we have the potential, but we have to make dramatic improvements and everything needs to fall perfectly in place.
We would still have to jump over several strong teams in our conference to even be considered.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

The Dude wrote: 3 years ago I like it! Bozeman will hopefully be to this team what the rug was to my room, man.

If the stars all align perfectly, then sure tournament team.

But I can’t agree with making the tourney “with ease” at all. We’ll have a weak out of conference schedule which equates to less chances at marquee wins. Also, Hurley’s first tournament team didn’t even make it with ease. If they hadn’t won the A10s, they would’ve fallen squarely on the bubble. Probably would’ve been in anyways, but wouldn’t have been easy/a lock.
Go Rhody
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Is it correct that Bozeman was let go by Morgan in March, 2019? Does anyone know what he has been doing the last two years?
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Great addition to the URI staff. Bozeman has strong coaching credentials and possesses charisma. Welcome back Todd Bozeman!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......hopefully he will be able to teach some individual and team defense improvements and get back our defense first Rhody teams of the past.......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

DeanDome88 wrote: 3 years ago
Section104 wrote: 3 years ago He recruited Jason Kidd (legally or illegally, who knows?), which means he has some sort of ability to close.

In the middle of the sleepy Baron years I was shouting to bring on Bozeman as a head coach so I'd say I'm pleasantly surprised on this choice as an assistant.

Risky? Sure. Not a whole lot to lose at this point and to echo what others are saying - we're not exactly an ideal landing spot for a top tier assistant with Cox's future TBD.
If I recall correctly, Jason Kidd was already at Cal and lobbied hard for Todd Bozeman to be promoted to head coach.
Bozeman snuck up the back stairs to the AD and helped get Lou Campanelli fired in mid-season. That Cal team also had a good center named Shareef Abdur-Rahim.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 3 years ago

Bozeman snuck up the back stairs to the AD and helped get Lou Campanelli fired in mid-season. That Cal team also had a good center named Shareef Abdur-Rahim.
Bozeman recruited Abdur-Rahim to Cal. Abdur-Rahim played 1 year then went pro. He later returned to Cal to earn his degree. Abdur-Rahim today is President of the NBA G-League. He went to the same High School as Jalen Brown.

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/1996/ ... dur-rahim/
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

McRam wrote: 3 years ago Is it correct that Bozeman was let go by Morgan in March, 2019? Does anyone know what he has been doing the last two years?
He wrote one piece for The Undefeated, an ESPN offshoot that's focused on "exploring the intersections of race, sports and culture." Given the timing - March 2020 - I'm assuming that any plans for him to do more articles were probably scuttled by the pandemic. I couldn't find anything else via a quick Google search. Guys of his stature usually serve as consultants or personal coaches at a variety of levels, or frankly, he could have just taken a couple months off, given how crazy things were.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Article from the Baltimore Sun in 2009 tells a lot about Todd Bozeman and his family

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.baltim ... y,amp.html
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

It's got to be a plus on the recruiting trail when going after top quality guards anyway.

"yeah, I was Jason Kidd's coach in college. You might have heard of him"
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago So are folks surprised? Didn’t see his name bandied about here at all.
What are your thoughts BAR?
I was surprised when I heard it but I like it for a lot of the reasons cited here. I think any good program has a strong lineage with their former players. We haven't always been great at that so I like the idea of a former Ram on the staff. Especially in a recruiting role bc no one can credibly sell a program better than someone who came out of it...I like the toughness he brings as DCRams alluded to and if I look at is as a like for like swap I think he is head and shoulders a better option than Sutton. He also brings big game experience as a player and coach and he will have more presence with the players/program than anyone on our staff last 2 years.
I agree with all you said BAR.
  • I think this is a fantastic hire. I was not very optimistic that changing an Assistant Coach would make much difference in the big scheme of things but this Bozeman hire is a gss as me changer.
  • URI Grad. Played with one of my all time favorite Rams in Marc Upshaw. Plus he played with the great Horace Owens, the great Silk Owens, other great players in Tommy Garrick, John Evans, Kenny Green and Bonnie Colson at times during his 4 years at URI
  • Experienced Head Coach with NCAA Tournament experience
  • Good man who has improved with experience in basketball and in life.
  • Hard nosed, tough player and coach. High expectations of himself and his players.
  • Very solid connections with former college players. Recruited and coached Shariff Abdur-Rahim to Cal who is now President of the NBA G-League. Nice connection to have and to leverage in recruiting High School players and Transfers.
  • Todd will be able to give David an objective view of the current players strengths, weaknesses and opportunities for improvement.
  • Bozeman will help David Cox a lot. He will also help the current Assistant Staff to grow. Todd would be capable of taking the HC role if the opportunity should arise. In today’s world of immediate transfer eligibility there is no need to expect 4-5 years to build a successful program. Tammi is certainly showing that.
Thorr made a great hire for WBB. Team has turned around very fast and continues to build stronger quickly. Just this year picking up transfers from NC State, Seton Hall (1st team BE), West Virginia, Texas A&M and nabbed the starting PG from PC. Players know programs are on the rise and know good coaches.
Thorr is now making a HC change with Women’s Softball to improve that program.

Overall, Todd Bozeman is A Great hire imho!! Far exceeded my expectations.
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

Interesting interview with Todd Bozeman. Love the hire!

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/s ... 0517038818
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

Didn’t see that already posted lol 😂
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

jcru wrote: 3 years ago It's got to be a plus on the recruiting trail when going after top quality guards anyway.

Honestly kids these days might not even know who Jason Kidd is.

I know it’s a different sport, but Anthony Edwards didn’t even know who AROD was when asked about him buying the TWolves.
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago
jcru wrote: 3 years ago It's got to be a plus on the recruiting trail when going after top quality guards anyway.

I know it’s a different sport, but Anthony Edwards didn’t even know who AROD was when asked about him buying the TWolves.
Today's players may not know the names but they can relate to Bozeman having produced 3 players picked #2, #3 and #7 in the NBA Drafts. From one of the articles posted..............

The key is that Todd knows how to recruit, he knows how to talk and relate to players and their families - he brings this with him to his new role at URI

Bozeman became known as Coach Lottery, the man who had produced three jackpot winners in four years: Kidd (taken No. 2 by the Dallas Mavericks), forward Lamond Murray (the seventh selection in the '94 draft, by the Los Angeles Clippers) and Abdur-Rahim (the Vancouver Grizzlies' top pick last year, at No. 3).
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Today's players may not know the names but they can relate to Bozeman having produced 3 players picked #2, #3 and #7 in the NBA Drafts. From one of the articles posted..............

The key is that Todd knows how to recruit, he knows how to talk and relate to players and their families - he brings this with him to his new role at URI

Bozeman became known as Coach Lottery, the man who had produced three jackpot winners in four years: Kidd (taken No. 2 by the Dallas Mavericks), forward Lamond Murray (the seventh selection in the '94 draft, by the Los Angeles Clippers) and Abdur-Rahim (the Vancouver Grizzlies' top pick last year, at No. 3).
Can they really relate to what he did in the mid 90's as a Pac 10 head coach when he's an assistant at an A10 school? If so, why didn't he have more success in his last stop as a head coach?

People are putting way too many expectations on this hire
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago

Can they really relate to what he did in the mid 90's as a Pac 10 head coach when he's an assistant at an A10 school? If so, why didn't he have more success in his last stop as a head coach?

I'm not saying the kids can relate to those players Bozeman recruited. The skills Bozeman used to recruit and develop those players are what he possesses. Those skills are evident in how he recruited Shariff Abdur-Rahim.
Maybe expectations is the wrong word, to me Bozeman is a solid hire and brings hope and possible options for future.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

What are the expectations that people are expecting?

You wanna say that he's not better than the previous guy?

Feels pretty safe to say he will be.

It's not like people are saying he's going to be the reason we go to the tournament.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago

It's not like people are saying he's going to be the reason we go to the tournament.
People have called him a "game changer", have already said he could be our next head coach on either an interim or full time basis replacing Cox, and are routinely citing something he did almost 30 plus years ago, that he hasn't come close to replicating since, to show he's a powerhouse recruiter when he isn't in the role where he was most successful and might not even have one recruit step on campus. So yeah, I think people should pump the brakes a little.

How often are mid to late 50's coaches that have been out of the game for two years, haven't made the NCAA tournament in more than a decade, and had losing records in the MEAC in four of their last five years "game changers" as assistants? Then add in that for him to be a true game changer for the program he would have to help Cox massively improve in the next 10 months or we could very well be looking at an entirely new coaching staff in 11 months. That's a tough hill to climb.

As I said last page, hopefully it works out. I absolutely think he'll be an upgrade over Sutton, honestly I would have been much happier if we had made this switch sooner, but I think Sutton is a low bar to clear. But the way people are talking about this does not reflect the current conditions on the ground
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

People have called him a "game changer", have already said he could be our next head coach on either an interim or full time basis replacing Cox, and are routinely citing something he did almost 30 plus years ago, that he hasn't come close to replicating since, to show he's a powerhouse recruiter when he isn't in the role where he was most successful and might not even have one recruit step on campus. So yeah, I think people should pump the brakes a little.

How often are mid to late 50's coaches that have been out of the game for two years, haven't made the NCAA tournament in more than a decade, and had losing records in the MEAC in four of their last five years "game changers" as assistants? Then add in that for him to be a true game changer for the program he would have to help Cox massively improve in the next 10 months or we could very well be looking at an entirely new coaching staff in 11 months. That's a tough hill to climb.

As I said last page, hopefully it works out. I absolutely think he'll be an upgrade over Sutton, honestly I would have been much happier if we had made this switch sooner, but I think Sutton is a low bar to clear. But the way people are talking about this does not reflect the current conditions on the ground
All he has to do is fix our timeout situation and we are golden 😀

I really don't think we could have gotten anyone better with the kind of money we are offering.

Didn't see where people said he's a game changer, but he could be. He's won a lot of games, he's a charismatic guy, and has that former head coach experience to help Dave.

He could be what pushes us over the top, but that depends on how hopeless the situation actually is.

We all have varying opinions on how talented we actually are, what it will mean to not have Fatts running the show anymore, how much of the losing last year was because we had a completely new team, covid, and how much of the losing can be directly contributed to Dave's system and in game coaching.

I could see us sucking again or going to an NCAA tournament. We lost a lot of close games last year. Someone with Bozemans experience could provide the necessary tweaks to make the difference we need.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I really don't think we could have gotten anyone better with the kind of money we are offering.

Didn't see where people said he's a game changer, but he could be. He's won a lot of games, he's a charismatic guy, and has that former head coach experience to help Dave.

He could be what pushes us over the top, but that depends on how hopeless the situation actually is.

We all have varying opinions on how talented we actually are, what it will mean to not have Fatts running the show anymore, how much of the losing last year was because we had a completely new team, covid, and how much of the losing can be directly contributed to Dave's system and in game coaching.

I could see us sucking again or going to an NCAA tournament. We lost a lot of close games last year. Someone with Bozemans experience could provide the necessary tweaks to make the difference we need.
Personally I hope he can prepare scouting reports that accurately game plan for the personnel that we will play against but if he can fix the time out situation too maybe he really would be a game changer
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Personally I hope he can prepare scouting reports that accurately game plan for the personnel that we will play against but if he can fix the time out situation too maybe he really would be a game changer
From an exaggeration standpoint my guess is if Cox had never used a time out last season or had 30 timeouts per game allotted just to him our record and team performance would have been the same.
Time out strategy gets a ton of talk here but our problems are way beyond time outs.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I agree. To put this into perspective... I realize "the 90s" doesn't feel that long ago, but as we discussed in a meeting with my co-workers today, plenty of college undergraduates weren't even born in the 90s at this point. I think this is a good hire for URI, given the time it was done, but Cox's weakness hasn't been attracting talent to the university - its been with strategy adjustment in-game and execution of gameplan. A coach with six straight losing seasons that instigated his firing doesn't exactly make me think "problem solved" on that front.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

From an exaggeration standpoint my guess is if Cox had never used a time out last season or had 30 timeouts per game allotted just to him our record and team performance would have been the same.
Time out strategy gets a ton of talk here but our problems are way beyond time outs.
Of course we have problems far beyond timeouts and I was mostly joking, but failing to call timeouts properly is a huge issue.

Even if he makes no adjustments it still helps to slow down a teams momentum. Momentum is everything in basketball and you must do what you can to stop it. Having poor timeout strategy has cost us games.

How many times did we let ourselves get down by 10 points until we finally called a timeout? Only to watch is scratch and claw our way back into a one possession game late?

How many of those games could have been turned into wins if you don't spot the other team free momentum and points?
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I personally just hope he doesn’t game plan for Tre Mitchell next year when we play UMASS...
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

I agree, the timeout usage or non usage was puzzling, but certainly wasn't one of our main issues.
Let's see what TB contributes to our player development, defense, game planning/strategy, team chemistry, and recruiting.
We have a long way to go, before we should talk NCAAT.
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago I personally just hope he doesn’t game plan for Tre Mitchell next year when we play UMASS...
Funny. i was just about to post this when I saw your message
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 3 years ago

Shareef came after Kidd he was only there 1 year in 95/96 . Kidd was on the 93 Sweet 16 team with Lamond Murray
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Of course we have problems far beyond timeouts and I was mostly joking, but failing to call timeouts properly is a huge issue.

Even if he makes no adjustments it still helps to slow down a teams momentum. Momentum is everything in basketball and you must do what you can to stop it. Having poor timeout strategy has cost us games.

How many times did we let ourselves get down by 10 points until we finally called a timeout? Only to watch is scratch and claw our way back into a one possession game late?

How many of those games could have been turned into wins if you don't spot the other team free momentum and points?
IMHO none. Win Loss record would be the same. There are many opportunities to improve this time -

This team was picked by some to finish 3rd in A10 and we finished 10th. Same Time Out strategies in all 3 years wound be my guess. I just don’t pay much attention to the time out discussions that take place here.
10th place - a lot of opportunity to improve.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

IMHO none. Win Loss record would be the same. There are many opportunities to improve this time -

This team was picked by some to finish 3rd in A10 and we finished 10th. Same Time Out strategies in all 3 years wound be my guess. I just don’t pay much attention to the time out discussions that take place here.
10th place - a lot of opportunity to improve.
You don't pay attention to time out issues discussed here? Do you watch the games even? It was the biggest, glaring issue we had with Cox.
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

It is an indictment against the entire coaching staff for the Mitchell situation and not using 3 fouls in the last 8 seconds of the GW game that resulted in a wide open 3 at the end of the first half that of course was good. What were Carroll and TJ thinking at the time. INEXCUSABLE!!!!!!!!!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

It wasn't just the timeouts he didn't take. It was also the timeouts he did take.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......there is one head coach at a time.......no matter how qualified the assistant coaches are.......the on-the-fly in game decisions remain with the HC.......ya can’t have co-HC/s......so, I expect some of the in-game deficiencies remain.....unless of course the players can overcome these.......dramatic DC changes?.......put me down for a no.......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

spookydog wrote: 3 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago I personally just hope he doesn’t game plan for Tre Mitchell next year when we play UMASS...
Funny. i was just about to post this when I saw your message
Maybe I’m missing the joke, but Tre Mitchell left UMASS didn’t he?
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

IMHO the scouting failure and open admission for UMass without Mitchell was a fireable offense.

You had a 3rd year head coach, who has been at major college programs for over 2 decades, in charge of a legitimate D1 basketball program in a multi-bid conference, not prepare for (and admit to) the best player on the opposing team - who didn’t play Wednesday and was announced as out by his coach on Friday.

I don’t think that failure has been fully appreciated for the magnitude it was.

This isn’t high school where there isn’t coverage of another game and injuries aren’t really discussed.

That was potentially the most embarrassing moment for this program since Baron left. It’s astounding how unprofessional and amateur that entire process was.

If Bozeman can at least stop the clown show maybe we’ll have a chance at being better than 10th. Hopefully he’ll set things straight.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Can we flip positions?