The Transfer Carousel - 2021-22

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Re: The Transfer Carousel -2021

Unread post by Bos8 »

Sounds like we landed El-Amin
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago
rhodyruckus wrote: 3 years ago Edit:
rhodyblue12 wrote: 3 years ago It would be nice to keep this thread as one that is looking forward and not dwelling on past events
Whoops, sorry I got itchy in replying to the below post before seeing this subsequent request. In any case, somewhat related as to my mention of Cox's biggest mistake below which may have led to last season's transfers...
URI_05 wrote: 3 years ago Insane how many people on this board suddenly became okay with bad to mediocre results. NCAAs next year or move on.
Ah the annual "I CARE more about this team than YOU" takes because we can't have a nuanced discussion about the coach's performance without this becoming a competitive "Name that Tune" challenge with naming the seasons until firing:

"I can fire that coach after 5 seasons."
"Oh yeah, I can fire that coach after 3 season."
"I'll fire that coach in one season."

I think Cox is a below average game coach at this time due to his ticks of getting robotic with substitutions instead of riding the hot hand, as well as taking those gawdawful TOs after a made bucket. This upcoming season is the year to improve that...if I don't see him ascend to at least average or slightly above average coach, THEN I am ready to say he is the real Baron 2.0 (not Hurley lol) because despite the talent recruits and transfers Cox may draw they just won't get over the hump.

Frankly, because of perhaps one decision - riding with Fatts and encouraging his volume of ball handling and shots instead of risking his transfer - Cox may have arguably lost multiple players and with the result that the player who was accommodated was not good enough to carry us to the tournament the last 2 seasons. Although it was undoubtedly a shitty decision in retrospect, I just can't fire the guy over one bad call that led to other bad outcomes. Next year is really his first team not under "hostage" by Fatts for better or worse with a fully coach-curated team, and that is going to most strongly sway my judgment one way or the other about a possible future with Cox.
The fact that the coach let himself be held hostage for two years is nuts.
Any reason to think it couldn't be same thing/different guy next year?
Fair point, hence my feeling although next year is the first fully stocked with "his guys", Cox could very well be out end of next season with a sub-par performance and I wouldn't object. This is the transfer thread so if I'll stop responding here and startup in the coach's thread if anything tickles me in the meantime haha.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Alright nice to get El Amin !!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

"Guard Rashad Williams, who has averaged 13.6 points over three seasons for Cleveland State and Oakland, announced on social media today he will transfer to St. Louis University for the 2021-22 season."
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Next year, we could really see games where 18 year olds are going up against guys who are 25. It’s going to be wild.
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

ace wrote: 3 years ago Next year, we could really see games where 18 year olds are going up against guys who are 25. It’s going to be wild.
This NCAA wide freshman class might struggle for playing time more than any other in history.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

ace wrote: 3 years ago Next year, we could really see games where 18 year olds are going up against guys who are 25. It’s going to be wild.
The average age of our team next year has to be close to 22. I said it when all the transfers came in that this last year if we made a run would be gravy, next year is what this building to. Let’s go Cox! Get it done. Lots of new faces at a lot of places and we only lose 1 player to graduation, and add 2 new players.
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

Oops...

Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

URI_05 wrote: 3 years ago Oops...

1000% not an oops.

He started every single game for them this year and put up very respectable numbers.

Definitely transferring because of the coaching change.
Go Rhody
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago

1000% not an oops.

He started every single game for them this year and put up very respectable numbers.

How many colleges is this guy going to play for?
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Are we good on transfers? Will be impressive if everybody stays and encouraging. Push me toward renewing for sure.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

1000% not an oops.

Yeah, that’s the oops. He committed to a coach who left a month later.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

URI_05 wrote: 3 years ago

1000% not an oops.

Chris Beard coached him all season, not sure what your oops is.
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago
URI_05 wrote: 3 years ago

1000% not an oops.

Chris Beard coached him all season, not sure what your oops is.
Guess it’s my oops. I thought he transferred a few weeks ago, not a year ago.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I’ll have to look for the specific classifications and data, but this is interesting to me,
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Not a transfer, but David Duke declaring for the draft and signing with an agent.

Done in Friartown.
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Bonnies pick up a big from Pitt. in the portal.

Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago Bonnies pick up a big from Pitt. in the portal.

Interesting. Thanks for passing this along. I know we were heavy on him the first time around.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Bos8 wrote: 3 years ago
Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago Bonnies pick up a big from Pitt. in the portal.

Interesting. Thanks for passing this along. I know we were heavy on him the first time around.
Yes, we recruited him hard for 19', along with UConn (obviously Pitt) and several others.
Our staff visited him at least once, not sure if he was on our campus though.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Great pickup Bonnies they definitely the favorite if everyone else returns
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

More transfer numbers from someone keeping track-

rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

ace wrote: 3 years ago More transfer numbers from someone keeping track-

FIrst what’s is this person’s definition of transferring up? I consider Malik to have transferred UP to Rhody from what they may consider a comparable league. Second, if ONLY 68 of what are probably the best lower level players transfer up that still sucks for the game. It sucks that Tyrese transferred up to UConn and was not a dominant A10 player. It sucks that Jacob transferred up to Kentucky instead of growing and probably being a top player in the A10. I guess I don’t get this person’s point, too much movement either way stinks.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago

FIrst what’s is this person’s definition of transferring up? I consider Malik to have transferred UP to Rhody from what they may consider a comparable league. Second, if ONLY 68 of what are probably the best lower level players transfer up that still sucks for the game. It sucks that Tyrese transferred up to UConn and was not a dominant A10 player. It sucks that Jacob transferred up to Kentucky instead of growing and probably being a top player in the A10. I guess I don’t get this person’s point, too much movement either way stinks.
Your opinions and feelings are not facts. You think it sucks. It does not objectively suck. Players who have earned the opportunity to play at higher levels should be able to do so, just like players should be able to find another opportunity, maybe dropping down, where they can play major minutes and not be stuck on the bench. Why shouldn’t they? How disdainful of college athletes do you have to be to act like you know what’s best for them? His point is that people complain about it ruining the game for a certain level of schools when those schools themselves get players in the transfer game. It’s also popular to say that the number of players who go up a level are the vast majority, but that is wrong.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Iggy1979 wrote: 3 years ago Cox can save his job by brutally assessing his performance as well as that of his staff and his team.

"Brutally assessing" your performance DOES NOT mean you will know what your shortcomings are and even if you are correct in assessing your shortcomings, there is no assurance that the individual will have the capabilities to iimprove.

I keep thinking of those news conferences and Cox's answers or lack of them to pretty basic questions and I find it difficult to believe that Cox has the capabilities to make meaningful strides in his in game performance.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

ace wrote: 3 years ago
rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago

Your opinions and feelings are not facts. You think it sucks. It does not objectively suck. Players who have earned the opportunity to play at higher levels should be able to do so, just like players should be able to find another opportunity, maybe dropping down, where they can play major minutes and not be stuck on the bench. Why shouldn’t they? How disdainful of college athletes do you have to be to act like you know what’s best for them? His point is that people complain about it ruining the game for a certain level of schools when those schools themselves get players in the transfer game. It’s also popular to say that the number of players who go up a level are the vast majority, but that is wrong.
Whether the kids should be allowed to transfer versus whether it ruins the game/sport enjoyment are two different things. Sure, objectively I agree with you they should be able to transfer at any time with no repercussions. It still sucks for the enjoyment of the sport. This person is trying to convince me that it isn’t bad for the sport by providing “objective” facts that most kids transfer down. I am calling BS on his facts and on his conclusion that it does not therefore take away from the enjoyment of the sport. Lots of ”objectively fair” things actually ruin the thing they are trying to add fairness to.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

As expected.

Ramulous
Sly Williams

Unread post by Ramulous »

Very sad to see big east players transfering down to lesser conferences
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

SLU just got a commitment from transfer freshman CG/SF Jordan Nesbitt (6'6") from Memphis. He was very highly rated recruit coming from HS. Entered the portal after 1st semester only played 3 games for Memphis.

" Rated as a four-star prospect and the No. 48 overall prospect in the nation by 247Sports.com… Was named a Sports Illustrated All-America candidate heading into his senior season "
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Joel Soriano is leaving Fordham. Wouldn’t be surprised to see a bunch of schools after the 6’10 post player.

Woody Newton is leaving Syracuse. Long, athletic borderline top 100 recruit is from Washington DC. Could potentially be someone we get involved with if a scholarship opens up?
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

I remember seeing Soriano play against us in the Bronx 2 years ago and being impressed. I also remember saying to myself at that time, no way he stays at Fordham. It’s sad.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 3 years ago I remember seeing Soriano play against us in the Bronx 2 years ago and being impressed. I also remember saying to myself at that time, no way he stays at Fordham. It’s sad.
That's funny, I was there also (had dinner on Arthur Ave) and thought the same thing. He was impressive had 14 pts/13 rebs. and we were extremely lucky to win that game in the final seconds. With his size (6'11" 250 lbs. ) and ability he should get lots of good looks in the portal.
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Of course I had dinner on Arthur Ave as well! Great night.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Bos8 wrote: 3 years ago Joel Soriano is leaving Fordham. Wouldn’t be surprised to see a bunch of schools after the 6’10 post player.

Woody Newton is leaving Syracuse. Long, athletic borderline top 100 recruit is from Washington DC. Could potentially be someone we get involved with if a scholarship opens up?
"Creighton mentioned as reaching out to Fordham transfer Joel Soriano. Averaged 10 points and 9 rebounds.

Oklahoma, Illinois, OK State and St John’s - among others - also interested."
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

brady1 wrote: 3 years ago
Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago Xavier Johnson starting PG for Pitt just entered the transfer portal he is averaging 14 pts/ 6 assists, there will be much interest.
He also happens to be from the DMV.

Why would a starting ACC point guard and borderline all conference performer want to come play at an A10 school that is currently terrible?
My favorite pc fans take is always appreciated. You remind a lot of Seany lite in the loafers pc15

GO RHODY!
Commits to Indiana, which is in the Big 10.

But I guess I’m a PC fan because I didn’t think a player of that caliber would want to come to URI!

Become a realist man.
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

brady1 wrote: 3 years ago

Why would a starting ACC point guard and borderline all conference performer want to come play at an A10 school that is currently terrible?
My favorite pc fans take is always appreciated. You remind a lot of Seany lite in the loafers pc15

GO RHODY!
Commits to Indiana, which is in the Big 10.

But I guess I’m a PC fan because I didn’t think a player of that caliber would want to come to URI!

Become a realist man.
Huge pick-up for new coach Woodson

rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

27% of all Division 1 men's basketball players are now in the portal (including kids who have committed to a new school).
That's an average of 3.5 per team.
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

rhodyblue12 wrote: 3 years ago 27% of all Division 1 men's basketball players are now in the portal (including kids who have committed to a new school).
I wonder what percentage of those are grad transfers. Probably not a big number. But I definitely don't look at a grad transfer the same as an underclassman transfer.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 3 years ago
rhodyblue12 wrote: 3 years ago 27% of all Division 1 men's basketball players are now in the portal (including kids who have committed to a new school).
I wonder what percentage of those are grad transfers. Probably not a big number. But I definitely don't look at a grad transfer the same as an underclassman transfer.
I think there is a fair amount of grad transfers, they also list walk-ons in the portal that transfer.

An update from yesterday:

"1243 players in the portal, 283 have committed elsewhere (22.8%)"
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

Josh Nickleberry in the portal. Never really got any PT at Louisville. I think we were linked to him at one point.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 3 years ago

Seems like a nice pickup for the Bonnies:

"Durosinmi, a native of Nigeria, committed to Bonaventure after a year at Harcum College in Bryn Mawr, Pa.. “Duro,” as he is called, averaged 10 points and 9.9 rebounds per game despite logging just 23 minutes a night. He blocked 78 total shots, ranking second in the National Junior College Athletic Association. He also recorded the second triple-double in Harcum history on Feb. 25, posting 19 points, 18 rebounds and 11 blocks.

“Duro has been awesome from the moment he stepped on campus,” Harcum assistant John Ball remarked Thursday night. “He is humble, an extremely hard worker, always trying to get better in his down time, and an excellent student. He has a nice, soft touch around the rim and can step out to hit some jumpers. He also is a defensive presence as a rim protector and rebounder.”

Georgetown, Florida, George Washington and Mount St. Mary’s offered Durosinmi a scholarship last season out of Virginia Academy. He is eligible to play a maximum of four years.

“We cannot wait to see him on the court next year with the Bonnies,” Ball said. “Coach Schmidt and his staff did a fantastic job recruiting Duro, and we are excited to follow his journey!”

Him along with Quadry Adams and Coulibaly are quality additions to their roster.

I don't think they are done adding on yet, still have a couple of scholarships open.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Dayton has the best pickup of anyone this offseason.

Kid from Georgia has all league potential going strictly off the numbers.
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago Dayton has the best pickup of anyone this offseason.

Exactly, he played well against tough P5 competition, can probably be an all conference player at Dayton.
Last edited by Jersey77 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago Dayton has the best pickup of anyone this offseason.

Exactly, he played well against tough P5 competition, can probably be an all conference player at Dayton.

I like their other 2 transfers as well and add to that their top HS/prep recruiting class. Good things ahead for Dayton.
From Zagsblog back in September 2018. Camara narrowed his choices to a Final 7, then a Final 3. UMASS and GW were among his Final 7 choices. So Camara is no stranger to Dayton and the Coaching Staff.

**Toumani Camara, the 6-foot-6 small forward from Chaminade-Madonna (FL) College Preparatory, will take his third official visit to Georgia this weekend (Sept. 29). Camara has taken official visits to Kansas State (Sept. 8) and Dayton (Sept. 15). He has no other visits planned
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 3 years ago
Numbers will obviously go up with the rule changes, but this season in particular the grad transfer portal I'd imagine is quite extensive because of the loosened eligibility rules due to COVID... I guess it depends how you qualify it but a senior who decided to play their 5th season I'd assume is technically a grad transfer, although not by the traditional sense of the phrase (played 3 seasons in 4 years and has one more year of eligibility). Those will definitely inflate the portal some in comparison to other seasons.