Tyrese Martin (URI ---> UConn)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Re: Tyrese Martin (URI ---> UConn)

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Tyrese shooting 46% from 3, easily leading the team. Leads the team in rebounds. Leads the team in steals. Also averaging a horrendous (sarcasm) 1.4 turnovers per game.

People still want to say he's a poor 3 point shooter and prone to turning the ball over? Or that he can't play defense? Or that Malik is a better fit and player for this team?
Last edited by Rhody15 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Go Rhody
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Tyrese has been a joy to watch this season. Even when he’s had a rough offensive game, he’s contributing in other ways. He’s playing tough and pushing some of the more naturally passive guys on the team to match him. That stuff is important when a team is down to just nine guys and missing two would-be starters. It’s a new role for him and there are growing pains.
Last edited by ace 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Dan needs him to be the alpha while Bouknight is out. In the game prior I thought Tyrese played too passive and didn't take on the role well, i am guessing DH had a talk with him bc last night he clearly was the alpha.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago Dan needs him to be the alpha while Bouknight is out. In the game prior I thought Tyrese played too passive and didn't take on the role well, i am guessing DH had a talk with him bc last night he clearly was the alpha.
He’s been mad at all of them since the St. John’s game, they’ve all been hearing it :) They’re collectively a nice, good group of guys- they need a brash jerk like Terrell (and I say that with great affection for Jared!). Whaley, Cole, and Tyrese are the natural options to pick it up. It’s hard to keep up that intensity, though, when the next game isn’t for 10 days.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Tough break for them with the Covid break , damn I hate this nasty virus
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

With the loss to Creighton, UConn ends its regular season and now awaits an at-large bid to the he NCAAT. If Tyrese made the move to UConn so he could experience the NCAAT, he made the right move. If he made the move to play under a more energized coach, he met that goal also. But if he made the move as better preparation for the NBA, the following stat comparison does not bode well on that metric. His A/TO ratio shows some improvement in protecting the ball, but a ratio below 1 is not great for a guard. He remains a great rebounder. Also, these are average stats, if you look at his stats against the better teams in the BE, they all deteriorate from the average.

Stat	             @URI           @UConn	

•	GP-GS	             30-0	    21-20	
•	PT/mpg	             1020/34.2	    634/30.2	
•	Scoring - PTS/ppg    385/12.8	    225/10.7	
•	FG-FGA/%	     148-342/.432   84-183/.459	
•	3FG-3FA/%	     44-137/.321    16-50/.320	
•	FT-FTA/%	     45-68/.662     41-61/.672	
•	Shots Per Game	     11.4           8.7
•	Assists/TO-Ratio     34/60 -.56	    23/29 - .793
•	Rebounds/RPG	     212/7.1	    154/7.3 
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

My issue with Tyrese then, and now, is his assertiveness. He allows himself to become irrelevant on offensive side of ball at times and with his skill set at this point he should have a more polished game offensively. He can shoot it well enough from deep and has way above average athleticism. There were times in that game yesterday you wouldn’t know he was on the court.

Stats aside what is noticeable is his intensity on the defensive side of ball and his buy in to the teams success. That is all Dan and were not present during his time in Keaney blue.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

He sure is slumping with his outside shot very inconsistent
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Obadiah wrote: 3 years ago With the loss to Creighton, UConn ends its regular season and now awaits an at-large bid to the he NCAAT. If Tyrese made the move to UConn so he could experience the NCAAT, he made the right move. If he made the move to play under a more energized coach, he met that goal also. But if he made the move as better preparation for the NBA, the following stat comparison does not bode well on that metric. His A/TO ratio shows some improvement in protecting the ball, but a ratio below 1 is not great for a guard. He remains a great rebounder. Also, these are average stats, if you look at his stats against the better teams in the BE, they all deteriorate from the average.

Stat	             @URI           @UConn	

•	GP-GS	             30-0	    21-20	
•	PT/mpg	             1020/34.2	    634/30.2	
•	Scoring - PTS/ppg    385/12.8	    225/10.7	
•	FG-FGA/%	     148-342/.432   84-183/.459	
•	3FG-3FA/%	     44-137/.321    16-50/.320	
•	FT-FTA/%	     45-68/.662     41-61/.672	
•	Shots Per Game	     11.4           8.7
•	Assists/TO-Ratio     34/60 -.56	    23/29 - .793
•	Rebounds/RPG	     212/7.1	    154/7.3 
FWIW, the per game metrics kind of show him in a poorer light - Per minute, he posted mostly better stats than at URI, while also playing a tougher schedule. He clearly had a step up in his game this year. Of course, you can attribute that to the "natural" process of getting older, or to Hurley's coaching being a positive, or because Cox was misusing him, depending on what argument you're trying to support. (Using "you" in the general sense here, not in a specific sense.)
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

I watched a lot of UConn games this year and just anecdotally, Martin I thought played with much more enthusiasm than he did at URI. He carried a large part of the team (and minutes) when Bouknight was out for that stretch. They wouldn't be where they are right now without Martin's play this year.

That being said I'm still pissed they both left and my grudge is strong. :)
Mobley was fouled.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago Tyrese shooting 46% from 3, easily leading the team. Leads the team in rebounds. Leads the team in steals. Also averaging a horrendous (sarcasm) 1.4 turnovers per game.

People still want to say he's a poor 3 point shooter and prone to turning the ball over? Or that he can't play defense? Or that Malik is a better fit and player for this team?
Re: Tyrese Martin
Report Quote
Post by Rhody15 » 11 months ago

Rhodymob05 wrote: ↑11 months ago
I called this at the beginning of the season based on his attitude and overall emotions on the court, BUT I figured it was just my paranoia. When a consistent starter leaves, its obviously beyond playing time. Its time for an investigation.
I also called Him out for being too cool for school, not caring, showing no emotion.

Good riddance, honestly I wouldn’t care if he plays 10 minutes a game at his new school.

Was never really a fan of the kid.

Odd take.
You are now boasting about Tyrese's performance this season, putting it in the face of "people" but at the beginning of this thread 11 months ago you were slamming the guy - you were one of those "people" :roll: :roll:
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago Tyrese shooting 46% from 3, easily leading the team. Leads the team in rebounds. Leads the team in steals. Also averaging a horrendous (sarcasm) 1.4 turnovers per game.

Re: Tyrese Martin
Report Quote
Post by Rhody15 » 11 months ago

Rhodymob05 wrote: ↑11 months ago
I called this at the beginning of the season based on his attitude and overall emotions on the court, BUT I figured it was just my paranoia. When a consistent starter leaves, its obviously beyond playing time. Its time for an investigation.
I also called Him out for being too cool for school, not caring, showing no emotion.

Good riddance, honestly I wouldn’t care if he plays 10 minutes a game at his new school.

Was never really a fan of the kid.

Odd take.
You are now boasting about Tyrese's performance this season, putting it in the face of "people" but at the beginning of this thread 11 months ago you were slamming the guy - you were one of those "people" :roll: :roll:

I stand by all the above.

Was never a fan of him here, but he was and is talented. I’d still rather have him than Malik, and I don’t see how anyone would disagree wanting Tyrese over Malik.
Go Rhody
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Tyrese doesn’t like being yelled at :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

CamsRams wrote: 3 years ago Tyrese doesn’t like being yelled at :)
who is yelling at him in the picture?
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

I’d guess Kevin Freeman
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

In Uconn's last two huge games ( Creighton and Maryland) Tyrese in 57 minutes went 2 for 17 for 4 points.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

eli#10 wrote: 3 years ago In Uconn's last two huge games ( Creighton and Maryland) Tyrese in 57 minutes went 2 for 17 for 4 points.
Wow that’s coming up small to say the least
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Tyrese over Malik
Last edited by steveystuds06 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 years ago Tyrese over mali
Glad you finally came around.
Go Rhody