The 2021 Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Re: The 2020 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by DC_Rams »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago If we can go to 2 NCAA's in 8 years going forward, that's about all we can expect.

But the longer we wait, the longer it will take to go to the first of those, unless we can strike gold again.

Remember one in four Al?
You are one of the most miserable human beings I’ve ever come across. Jesus H. Christ.

There is a shout or dig in every single one of your posts. Nevermind, Cox and the team, just get a life and Find some fucking joy...

... back to my bunker. Flame on...
Nice to know you are ok DC_Rams. Good Job Rambone getting DC_Rams out of his bunker? :roll: :roll: :roll:

A Question DC.........
It seems most here do not think the two Mitchell's will ever play on the court together. Discussion is that Makhi, Makhel and Walker could not be effective on the court because of the need for more ball handlers in today's game.

Looking back, the Mitchell's played together in AAU Ball with DC Premier. They were both in the starting line-up and played high minutes together. They handled the ball, passed quite well and took 12" to 18" shots. In City of Palms, the best of Holiday Tournaments in Ft Myers Florida every year, they played together against top notch competition - best of the best teams are invited to that Tournament every year.

The Mitchell's also were enablers to get 6'7" Ricky Lindo to join DC Premier and all 3 were on the court at the same time. Lindo's game is somewhat similar to Antwan Walker's game I think.

So what are your thoughts, and what do you think David Cox thinks of next season playing Makhi and Makhel together, and having them both in the starting line-up? Also playing both Mitchell's with Walker? Or do you think it's just 1 Mitchell at a time on the floor?

Thanks
I’ll be honest. I do not know. I don’t know how to be a head coach, what it takes to be a head coach, or the internal rationale behind any decisions a head coach makes. They see things we don’t, but I don’t believe that they don’t see things we do. They just choose to address them differently than knee jerk, reactionary fans do. HC decisions determines their own fate. They have their own system of beliefs and structure that they adhere too. I’d agree with you all in a more PC way, that things needed to be shaken up. I don’t think for one second, lessons were not learned. Hard lessons for a first time HC.

The Mitchell’s in HS were allowed free reign. They played a different pace of ball. They dribbled a lot, shot jumpers, etc....here they are needed to be more back to the rim, finesse players. They will see time together. They may start together depending on a matchup. I know that the staff isn’t against that. But who knows...I just want this team to be more than marginally better next year, than they were this year.

That’s all I got.

....back to my chambers.

As you all were.
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Does anyone think we could play a 3-2 zone defense with the Mitchell's. I don't foresee the issue of them playing same time on offense, that will work itself out, the defensive end is where I worry with them on the court at the same time.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

DC and I actually agree that we want the team to be much better next year. Really?

There's a lot of WANT TO around here, of course we do!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Maciariello (Siena), Johnson (Yale) and Grasso (Bryant) finalists for Fordham gig
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Those guys must love pain.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago Those guys must love pain.
Or money.
Go Rhody
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I thought Grasso could do better.
Slava Ukraini!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

....hey sure, why not.......just another group of coaches with the oversized heads that are ultra competitive that have the constant “I can win there.....” thoughts in their heads......nice pay raise.......upgrade in weight class as HC......imagine if they actually win in da Bronx......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago DC and I actually agree that we want the team to be much better next year. Really?

I can’t get through a single page without you literally repeating the same bullshit 50 times a day.

We get it. You hate Cox and want him gone.

No matter how hard you mash the keys when you type, it will not change a thing.

Trying going outside, find a hobby, fly a kite, spend time with family, do something! But no way is it healthy for you to spend so much time and energy on a message board repeating the same pathetic doom and gloom rhetoric.

If the guy finds a way to turn things around I vow to smash the heartiest bowl of crow in your face.

If he doesn’t, I’ll accept the same fate and support the next regime all the same.

When it’s DC’s time to go, he will go, for better or worse.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago DC and I actually agree that we want the team to be much better next year. Really?

I can’t get through a single page without you literally repeating the same bullshit 50 times a day.

Trying going outside, find a hobby, fly a kite, spend time with family, do something! But no way is it healthy for you to spend so much time and energy on a message board repeating the same pathetic doom and gloom rhetoric.

If the guy finds a way to turn things around I vow to smash the heartiest bowl of crow in your face.

If he doesn’t, I’ll accept the same fate and support the next regime all the same.

I guess you missed the Baron error? Man, this board was on fire for years.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago

I guess you missed the Baron error? Man, this board was on fire for years.
Or go read the Jim.Baron 2.0 (locked but readable) where Dan Hurley was bashed colossally and repeatedly.
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

If you think things are going to get better without results on the court, you're kidding yourself. This board will be in melt down mode until there's a reason not to be.

At least the GM and the Coach are the same person in college basketball so we know who to blame, the Giants board I frequent is constantly back and forth between blaming Gettleman and the coaching staff.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I can't find any of your posts where you aren't bashing long time Ram fans.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago

I can't find any of your posts where you aren't bashing long time Ram fans.
Billyboy, my guess is DC is gone off this board next year when DC is fired for non performance.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

DC hates that I want Cox gone.

And I don't repeat that any more than a lot of others on here.

So STOP singling me out, NOW.

No one will be more happy if Cox somehow turns it around and starts consistently winning and going to the postseason.

I want what is best for the PROGRAM like Blueman has said.

If Cox is a casualty of that, too bad.

We all know that when Cox is gone, you'll be gone.

I think I can speak for many here, that when that happens, that will be good riddance.

I would use a lot stronger language if I could get away with it, but I've really had it with you.

Stop trashing me and other posters. I hardly ever do it, but for you I'll make an exception.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah Rambone I like it , Cox needs to go like yesterday or we are stuck in mediocrity at best baby
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

I don’t know if it was said elsewhere but Luke Murray was fired at Louisville. Could be a solid addition to our assistant coaching staff
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Section104 wrote: 3 years ago I don’t know if it was said elsewhere but Luke Murray was fired at Louisville. Could be a solid addition to our assistant coaching staff
......gotta ask, what does he bring to the table?......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 3 years ago
Surprising since coach Mack brought him over with him from Xavier, been together for 6 years.
Luke only 36 has been considered a rising star in the coaching ranks, and Mack always had high praise for him.
My how things change
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

section(105) wrote: 3 years ago
Section104 wrote: 3 years ago I don’t know if it was said elsewhere but Luke Murray was fired at Louisville. Could be a solid addition to our assistant coaching staff
Being able to chat up his father in the stands. He’s a surprisingly regular guy.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 3 years ago
Being able to chat up his father in the stands. He’s a surprisingly regular guy.
.......oh, OK.....I was thinking he might be a defense guru......that could come in on day one(again) and start guruing.......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

An occasional appearance of his father at home games.
Slava Ukraini!
Section104
Art Stephenson

I don't think anyone truly knows - except those that have worked with him directly - what he brings to the table, but with experience under Hurley at Rhode Island, and Mack at Xavier and Louisville I'd imagine it's a large upgrade over our staff right now.

He's been considered for head coach openings and is considered a top 40 assistant under 40 years old.

https://www.cardchronicle.com/2020/5/13 ... er-40-list
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......the pay cut from there to here would be very large......no?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Section104
Art Stephenson

section(105) wrote: 3 years ago ......the pay cut from there to here would be very large......no?
the pay increase from no job to having a job is greater
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Murray isn't coming here to join this staff.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 3 years ago
Tad surprised, thought he would last another year. I did ask about a month ago if anyone would like Woj as a replacement for Cox after next year.

I think it was a mixed bag of yes and no.
Go Rhody
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah don’t see how Cox would help develop Luke M career in any way

Not a surprise on Wojo what’s up for him next ??
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rumors heating up that Brad Stevens will leave the Celtics and take the Indiana job. He called a team meeting and it possibly could be announced today.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

I'm all for a coach leaving to go to greener pastures, but to bag out in the middle of the season, I think that is extremely poor taste. Hope it's not true for his sake.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago
Tad surprised, thought he would last another year. I did ask about a month ago if anyone would like Woj as a replacement for Cox after next year.

I think it was a mixed bag of yes and no.
Yes, things went downhill for him after the Hauser brothers left
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Who is on Marquette’s short list ??
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago Rumors heating up that Brad Stevens will leave the Celtics and take the Indiana job. He called a team meeting and it possibly could be announced today.
Good I want Brad S out in Boston he can’t get the players to perform be a great hire for IU though
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

reef wrote: 3 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago Rumors heating up that Brad Stevens will leave the Celtics and take the Indiana job. He called a team meeting and it possibly could be announced today.
Good I want Brad S out in Boston he can’t get the players to perform be a great hire for IU though
When Larry Bird was a coach and executive, his thing was that all players eventually tune their coaches out after two or three years, unless they're winning titles. I still think Stevens is a hell of a coach, but it's probably true that he's wrung the most out of this current batch on the roster, given how long they've all been together. It's easier to shuffle the coach than to get equal value for Brown and Tatum, so I do think a coaching change is coming sooner or later for the C's.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Here are the current odds for Indiana’s next head coach, according to BetOnline (www.BetOnline.ag, Twitter: @betonline_ag):

Chris Beard 2/1
Scott Drew 3/1
John Beilein 4/1
Dana Altman 11/2
Thad Matta 13/2
Dane Fife 7/1
Brad Stevens 25/1
Calbert Cheaney 25/1
Billy Donovan 33/1
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Coaching in the NBA is a tough gig [except for the pay ha ha].

The inmates run the asylum. They play when they feel like it.

There are exceptions, but not many.

Tom T. of the Knicks seems to be doing a good job there, especially for a franchise that hasn't won in centuries.

They are currently 21-21, and will likely make the playoffs. For them, that's really good.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Looks like Brad S is staying at the Celts for now
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Brad is waiting for our job to come open.
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

And there it is.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

URI_05 wrote: 3 years ago

And there it is.
Slick Tony gone, can't say I am surprised
There goes the Woodstock pipeline.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Sure looks like he's going wherever Tre goes.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

SmartyBarrett wrote: 3 years ago Sure looks like he's going wherever Tre goes.
.......exactly, they are in the car together......Tony driving......Tre shotgun......Tony with a cabby hat and uni on.....update.....he always wanted the UMass job.......maybe the UMass Dartmouth job is open......wonder if Matt helped Tony pack......?
Last edited by section(105) 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

URI_05 wrote: 3 years ago

And there it is.
Soo many used cars will now go unsold in the UMass Arena vicinity. Nooo. Say it ain’t so.... this is great. At least UMass has finally come to their senses and can move on.

Curious what the UMass forum is saying now.
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

.......exactly, they are in the car together......Tony driving......Tre shotgun......Tony with a cabby hat and uni on.....
The hat is silver and bedazzled.
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

.......exactly, they are in the car together......Tony driving......Tre shotgun......Tony with a cabby hat and uni on.....
The hat is silver and bedazzled.
WTH was UMass thinking with that salary and all those incentives that they paid to that creep.

Go to bed with the dogs you wake up with fleas! I am pissed as a taxpayer.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Get that sleaze Tony B out of the coaching fraternity!!