The 2021 Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Re: The 2020 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago
theblueram wrote: 3 years agoNo Becker?
Just in case you missed my first post.
https://www.bcinterruption.com/2021/2/1 ... basketball
https://www.si.com/college/bostoncolleg ... er-vermont
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I hope Becker is available when we come calling, this offseason or next.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

RhodyKyle wrote: 3 years ago
theblueram wrote: 3 years agoNo Becker?
Just in case you missed my first post.
I posted in the BC thread a link that has the Athletic calling Becker the ideal candidate for BC. How anyone can write him off because he won't make a big enough splash or put us on the map is incredibly short-sighted and ignorant. This is why fan forums don't make decisions.
So you mean he's being interviewed at BC? That would make me investigate further.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

University of Denver fires head coach Rodney Billups (brother of Chauncey Billups) after 5 seasons.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

It's not just that we are headed in the wrong direction with this coach....

it's the SPEED in which we're headed.

Want to continue to suck?

Then keep Cox around....problem solved!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago It's not just that we are headed in the wrong direction with this coach....

it's the SPEED in which we're headed.

Want to continue to suck?

Then keep Cox around....problem solved!
78', extremely unlikely Thorr fires Cox this year, so be prepared.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I know.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Fordham focusing on 3 candidates for head coaching job

By ADAM ZAGORIA
Fordham University is focusing on three candidates for its vacant head men’s basketball coaching job, multiple sources said.
Bryant coach Jared Grasso, Saint Peter’s coach Shaheen Holloway and former Penn State coach Pat Chambers are the three leading candidates. There is no known time-frame on when a decision will be made.
Fordham is currently 2-12 overall, 2-11 in the Atlantic 10 under interim coach Mike DePaoli after Jeff Neubauer was fired in January.
Grasso, 40, is a former interim head coach at Fordham (2009) who is in his third season as the head man at Bryant after serving as the associate head coach at Iona, a perennial NCAA Tournament team out of the MAAC under former coach Tim Cluess. He is 39-42 in his three seasons, but the current team is 14-5, 10-4 in the Northeast Conference. It is the team’s best record in Division 1 history.
Grasso is an outside-the-box thinker and tireless worker who knows the New York and Northeast recruiting landscapes well, qualities that would be very useful at Fordham.
“If Fordham continues to hire traditionally, then they’re going to traditionally suck,” one local coach said.
Holloway, 44, is in his third season at Saint Peter’s and is 40-41, including a 12-10 mark this year, 9-8 in the MAAC. In 2020, he was named MAAC Coach of the Year after leading the Peacocks to a 14-6 conference record and the No. 2 overall seed in the 2020 Tournament after being voted to finish 9th in the preseason.
He is former McDonald’s All-American who beat out Kobe Bryant and others for the MVP of the 1996 McDonald’s Game. Prior to Saint Peter’s, Holloway was the associate head coach under Kevin Willard at Seton Hall, which reached three straight NCAA Tournaments from 2016-18 and won the Big East Tournament title in 2016.
He is also a strong recruiter with deep ties in New Jersey.
Chambers, 50, compiled a career record of 190-178 in two seasons at Boston University and nine at Penn State. His team won the NIT championship in 2018 and would have made the 2020 NCAA Tournament had it not been canceled.
He stepped down from Penn State on Oct. 21, 2020, following an investigation into his past conduct.
The Undefeated published an article in which former Penn State guard Rasir Bolton alleged Chambers made a comment involving a “noose around [his] neck” and said that led him to transfer.
Chambers, in a 2020 interview published on TheUndefeated.com, said, “I didn’t realize that word would hurt him, and I am truly, truly sorry for that.”
Hiring Chambers would come with some obvious baggage, and it’s unclear how his hire would be received by African-American high school and AAU coaches as well as players. Though sources said Chambers has already reached out to numerous top elite AAU coaches in New York and the Northeast to explain that he made a mistake, has changed and is excited about the future.
Penn State senior Jamari Wheeler Tweeted Thursday that he wished Chambers was there to “celebrate” Senior Night with the team.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Good candidates Fordham finally starting to get things right ???
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Fordham has hired one highly regarded coach after another dating back to Digger Phelps 50-odd years ago. Had Fordham stayed in the Metro Atlantic conference where it belonged that would have remained a good job for up-and-coming coaches instead of the graveyard it’s been ever since.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Penders was there from 78-86 before he came to URI
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by daytonflyerfan »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago
daytonflyerfan wrote: 3 years ago
SmartyBarrett wrote: 3 years ago

I highly doubt it. I'm hearing from BC people that they're very interested and are going to try to make a run at him, but I expect that interest to be one-sided.
IMO EC might be interested in starting over somewhere new, PC has sort of stalled out with EC IMO. Both sides might want a fresh start. He has been there for a while, he might be getting stale.
Really? Is there a program out there, that EC would want to go to, that's saying, "you know, we need an Ed Cooley type to get us to the next level" ?
Yes, really. He put PC back on the map. He has 5 nccat's at PC, but he can not win in the ncaat. I would not hire him, I think his x's and o's need work, but somebody might see what he did at PC and be interested. He seems like a good recruiter too.

Again though, I think his x's and o's deficiency is a big red flag that would cause a lot of problems for BC in the ACC, where you are going up against great coaches every game.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

We're still referring to that clown as EC? Why?

EC is EC Matthews.

I haven't seen Cooley referred to as EC anywhere on the internet except here.
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rashon Bruno lead assistant for Bobby Hurley at Arizona State named head coach of Northern Illinois.
He played on Bob Hurley's (Sr) national championship team St. Anthony's in 96' and 97'
Also was an assistant for Billy Donovan at Florida among other previous stops.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago We're still referring to that clown as EC? Why?

EC is EC Matthews.

I haven't seen Cooley referred to as EC anywhere on the internet except here.
Agreed...if I hear someone say EC here, I think EC Matthews.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I'm only interested in one school that needs to be added to that list.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yes most of these are smaller schools expect the big dominos to start falling once these conference tournaments conclude
Let the carousel begin baby
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Still employed by Minnesota, but sources say Richard Pitino interviewed for New Mexico vacancy over the weekend

"Richard Pitino has remained employed as the Gophers men’s basketball coach, but he interviewed for the vacancy at New Mexico over the weekend, sources told the Pioneer Press.

Pitino’s eighth season at Minnesota ended in the Big Ten Tournament on Thursday, and with a 14-15 record, his team missed the NCAA Tournament for the sixth time. Gophers Athletics Director Mark Coyle has yet to announce a decision on Pitino’s future.

Pitino interviewed for the job along with former Nebraska coach Tim Miles and Stephen F. Austin coach Kyle Keller, according to multiple reports. Pitino is believed to be the top candidate of New Mexico AD Eddie Nunez, according to Enchantment Sports.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

That’s wierd sounds like they told him he was gone or why interview when you already have a job ??

He sounds like a good coach for New Mexico
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Micah Shrewsberry going to Penn State. Purdue fans are sad and Penn State fans are extremely happy. Matt Painter has apparently delegated some in-game X and O responsibility to Micah. Sounds like he could be one of the success stories of an assistant moving to the big chair in a power conference.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RhodyKyle wrote: 3 years ago Micah Shrewsberry going to Penn State. Purdue fans are sad and Penn State fans are extremely happy. Matt Painter has apparently delegated some in-game X and O responsibility to Micah. Sounds like he could be one of the success stories of an assistant moving to the big chair in a power conference.
Looks like a good hire, maybe a little reach with no previous head coaching experience:

MICAH SHREWSBERRY, PURDUE ASSOCIATE HEAD COACH
Shrewsberry is one of the more fascinating names on the list for Penn State. He has no Division I head coaching experience and has only been in college basketball for two of the past eight years, but those six years away may be an even bigger boost to his case for the job.

The 44-year-old coached under then-Butler head coach Brad Stevens from 2008-11 when the Bulldogs made two National Championship Game appearances. He then left for Purdue where he spent two seasons as an assistant under head coach Matt Painter before leaving to rejoin Stevens, this time with the Boston Celtics.

He spent six seasons working with players like Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum — both NBA all-stars this season — and helped the team make the Eastern Conference Finals in 2017 and 2018, before returning to Purdue prior to the 2019-20 season. Shrewsberry has been the offensive coordinator at Purdue, according to his profile on the Purdue website, while officially holding the role of associate head coach since his return. He’ doesn’t have the head coaching experience that other candidates do, but Shrewsberry presents the recruiting acumen and upside Barbour should be looking for to lead the men’s basketball program.
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

Archie Miller out at Indiana. I'd swap Cox out for him any day. Proven winner in the A10.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Archie ;)
GO RAMS
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

How does Archie lose his job before Sean?!
Last edited by ace 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Hopefully Archie takes a year off after assessing the coaching landscape and finds the right opportunity next offseason...

;)

Last edited by STC 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Like if we can get Archie to come here now...you make that trade. Period.

It is a business after all.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

ace wrote: 3 years ago How does Archie lose his job before Sean?!
.....Arizona tolerates cheating.......Indiana doesn’t tolerate loosing.......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Per Twitter: Richard Pitino out, Earl Grant hired at BC

That second thing is good for the A10 but surprising.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I am highly intrigued by this one...

rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Maybe Thorr is waiting for the right candidate to emerge before he pulls the trigger.....I hope.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ace wrote: 3 years ago I am highly intrigued by this one...

Watching them made my eyes bleed. That team was so disjointed, no chemistry, and still somehow won a game in the Big East tourney.

I expect Preston's kid will decommit any day now.
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Ace are you surprised?
Most insiders had him on the hot-seat.
Been there 6 years and no success, not one winning season in-conference (51-103)
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago

Ace are you surprised?
Been there 6 years and no success, not one winning season in-conference (51-103)
I am zero percent surprised. My intrigue comes from who they’ll hire.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

URI_05 wrote: 3 years ago Archie Miller out at Indiana. I'd swap Cox out for him any day. Proven winner in the A10.
Thorr or an intermediary should be on the phone already to see if he has any interest in our job
Last edited by RhowdyRam02 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

RhodyKyle wrote: 3 years ago Micah Shrewsberry going to Penn State. Purdue fans are sad and Penn State fans are extremely happy. Matt Painter has apparently delegated some in-game X and O responsibility to Micah. Sounds like he could be one of the success stories of an assistant moving to the big chair in a power conference.
It will be really interesting to see how he does because rumor is he was one of the finalists when we went with Cox
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago
URI_05 wrote: 3 years ago Archie Miller out at Indiana. I'd swap Cox out for him any day. Proven winner in the A10.
Thorr or an intermediary should be on the phone already to see if he has any interest in our job
We can't wait a year. Get Archie here now! I have no idea if he's interested but get him here!
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ace wrote: 3 years ago
Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago

Ace are you surprised?
I am zero percent surprised. My intrigue comes from who they’ll hire.
If I was DePaul my #1 candidate should be Porter Moser (Loyola) and give him the keys to the city.
He is from the area and is an outstanding coach.

My back-up choice would be Darian DeVries (Drake).
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Casey Alexander is a name to watch as well going forward. Took over Belmont last year and has gone 52-11 in 2 years. Seems like he has the same attitude as Hurley at Wagner. He's frustrated at being snubbed for the NCAAT.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Alexander I think would be a good choice for us, but would we be a step up?

As we know it's not that easy to dance in the A10 either.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago Alexander I think would be a good choice for us, but would we be a step up?

Heck of a lot easier than the Ohio Valley that's for sure. Dude has an impressive resume. Plus we can pay a lot more than Belmont I would think.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago
Wouldn't be surprised if they reach out to Thad Matta
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago Alexander I think would be a good choice for us, but would we be a step up?

No brainier it's a step up.

VCU has been to 9 out of the last 11 NCAAs.

Dayton 5 out of 8.

Bonnies 2 out of 4.

Rhode Island 2 out of 5.

A whole hell of a lot easier than the OVC. They didn't eve make the NIT this year at 26-4.
Go Rhody
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I hope Thorr has his ears up.......

The new prez is supposed to be announced sometime in April....down to the final four now.

Really tricky timing for a new coach search?
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I would go for Alexander before Miller. He's been consistently good, to me that's more important than a flash in the pan.

Archie wasn't exactly the Dayton board's darling his first 3 years there.

Then he had the Elite Eight run with a team of basically 6 upperclassmen.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago I would go for Alexander before Miller. He's been consistently good, to me that's more important than a flash in the pan.

So you'd go with a coach with 1 NCAA tourney appearance in 10 years in the A-SUN and OVC, over a coach, who, in the A10, went to 4 straight tournaments, including an Elite 8, and also won another game in the NCAAs the following year?
Last edited by Rhody15 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Go Rhody
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

The results are what matter, not the Dayton board sentiments. Archie’s six year run at Dayton was impressive and I would sign up for that at URI in a heartbeat.

-4 NCAA Tournament bids.
-1 Elite Eight.
-5 seasons of 20+ wins, including the last four being 24+ wins.
-.688 overall winning percentage including .667 in the A10.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago I would go for Alexander before Miller. He's been consistently good, to me that's more important than a flash in the pan.

So you'd go with a coach with 1 NCAA tourney in 10 years in lower conferences, over a coach, who, in the A10, went to 4 straight tournaments, including an Elite 8, and also won another game in the NCAAs the following year?
The issue with Alexander is he has been coaching in 1 bid leagues. Can't compare tournament appearances to Archie.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »