12/01 | @ Providence Friars | 5PM (FS1)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Re: 12/01 | @ Providence Friars | 5PM (FS1)

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 5 years ago
The Dude wrote: 5 years ago After watching the game yesterday against PC, I'm now on the Cox supporter train. It appeared to me that two factors influenced the team's loss last night...their inability to hit open shots & the officiating...and the poor officiating was to be expected, so in my opinion, it was really just the missed shots.
The officiating was pretty horrific in both directions. The difference was the depth. PC wants to play 8 guys 15+ minutes per game. Conversely, it feels like URI wants to play their starters all 30+ mpg. Bad officiating is going to kill the team more reliant on their starters.

you can be sure, that if uri loses, for at least a few on this board, officiating will have had a hand on doing them in.
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 5 years ago Another week off in between games.

Have we ever had this many week long gaps between games before?

I can't recall anything similar. I also however can't remember ever going 35 days without a home game or just one home game in 49 days.

while I get your overall point, they did play brown at home.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Right, I think they're saying from Brown going forward we don't have a home game for 35 days and just one home game in 49 days
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

The Dude wrote: 5 years ago After watching the game yesterday against PC, I'm now on the Cox supporter train. It appeared to me that two factors influenced the team's loss last night...their inability to hit open shots & the officiating...and the poor officiating was to be expected, so in my opinion, it was really just the missed shots.
The officiating was pretty horrific in both directions. The difference was the depth. PC wants to play 8 guys 15+ minutes per game. Conversely, it feels like URI wants to play their starters all 30+ mpg. Bad officiating is going to kill the team more reliant on their starters.
I’d agree with this. I definitely don’t want to defend that officiating performance, but also blaming it for URI’s loss never crossed my mind.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago Right, I think they're saying from Brown going forward we don't have a home game for 35 days and just one home game in 49 days
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago Right, I think they're saying from Brown going forward we don't have a home game for 35 days and just one home game in 49 days

sorry 02---check the calendar. played SB on the 24th, brown on the 28th, middle Tennessee on 12/30 and then GM on 1/13. so if you start on the 29th after the brown game, we go 32 days without a home game and just one home game in 45 days. his math was working from the SB game and didn't take into consideration the brown game.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

As much as it’s a stretch between home games at least the bulk come when everyone is all set with winter around here.
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Taylor Swift wrote: 5 years ago As much as it’s a stretch between home games at least the bulk come when everyone is all set with winter around here.

another plus is it looks like the students should only miss 3 games (MT, St L, and SB). I assume they would be back for VCU on the 23rd.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago
I’d agree with this. I definitely don’t want to defend that officiating performance, but also blaming it for URI’s loss never crossed my mind.
I totally agree that the officiating was horrendous, but I feel like it was either evenly bad or favored URI a bit. Some of the particularly bad calls that I can remember (missed goaltending, two push-off offensive fouls drawn by Fatts) went in favor of Rhody.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PC Board members Richard Corey, Sean MacNamara and Darth Friar being rough on some of our own. Love how Seannie sneaks back on here 3 months ago, stirs the pot and then runs Back home to the Friar Board and trashes posters here - some of it is old stuff. He got removed here by mods but then sneaks back in under another name............but never says anything about how he got banned here in the past. I can’t imagine trying to get on URIs board in the first place as a P c fan, but then years later under an alias? Strange.

Have no idea what game they were watching to be crying that the officiating favored URI. Seannie says officiating cost PC otherwise they would have won by 25. You can’t make this stuff up :roll: :roll: :roll:

https://247sports.com/college/providenc ... 13/?Page=5
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I see our RPI is 23. hahahah.
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago PC Board members Richard Corey, Sean MacNamara and Darth Friar being rough on some of our own. Love how Seannie sneaks back on here 3 months ago, stirs the pot and then runs Back home to the Friar Board and trashes posters here - some of it is old stuff. He got removed here by mods but then sneaks back in under another name............but never says anything about how he got banned here in the past. I can’t imagine trying to get on URIs board in the first place as a P c fan, but then years later under an alias? Strange.

Have no idea what game they were watching to be crying that the officiating favored URI. Seannie says officiating cost PC otherwise they would have won by 25. You can’t make this stuff up :roll: :roll: :roll:

that sean dude is pretty pathetic, he's goes on the pc board and "tattles" on what is said here like he's in 3rd grade, his posts dont even get responses on the pc board, I'm guessing the last 2 years of URI's tournament success has been rough on him... but Cooley is building a monster over there, brick by brick :D
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago I see our RPI is 23. hahahah.
I see 126
theblueram
Frank Keaney

rhodyrudder wrote: 5 years ago
theblueram wrote: 5 years ago I see our RPI is 23. hahahah.
I see 126
http://realtimerpi.com/ncaab/college_Me ... kings.html

oops, I guess I was looking at Power Rankings. Nevermind. Ignore the man behind the curtain. lol
Ramulous
Sly Williams

Unread post by Ramulous »

Our shooting percentage is 23%
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Coach Tyron’s Instagram story shows 3 pt shooting practice.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

ramster wrote: 5 years ago PC Board members Richard Corey, Sean MacNamara and Darth Friar being rough on some of our own. Love how Seannie sneaks back on here 3 months ago, stirs the pot and then runs Back home to the Friar Board and trashes posters here - some of it is old stuff. He got removed here by mods but then sneaks back in under another name............but never says anything about how he got banned here in the past. I can’t imagine trying to get on URIs board in the first place as a P c fan, but then years later under an alias? Strange.

That guy “Sean” is a complete immature clown. He has way too much time on his hands and is incredibly unimpressive. I “donut” want to see him post again.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

RIFan wrote: 5 years ago Coach Tyron’s Instagram story shows 3 pt shooting practice.
Saw that this morning, too. They’re working. Don’t fret, people.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Shinze88 wrote: 5 years ago

that sean dude is pretty pathetic, he's goes on the pc board and "tattles" on what is said here like he's in 3rd grade, his posts dont even get responses on the pc board, I'm guessing the last 2 years of URI's tournament success has been rough on him... but Cooley is building a monster over there, brick by brick :D
Hahaha I think I stuck it to “Seanie” a few times. Maybe I’m mentioned but IDC what a bunch of nobodies think.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

To borrow a phrase from Bill Simmons, there's comedy, there's high comedy, then there's Sean MC's posts. I completely forgot about him until reading this. I didn't even know he was banned here lol....although it's not surprising. He's in his own black/white/grey glass colored world. While I don't normally read the PC board (and until clicking the link just now, it's probably been a year or two), Coren seems reasonable and I've met Darth Friar in person a couple of times a number of years ago, and he seemed like a good guy in person.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

This year"s OOC schedule was not impressive to me because of several factors: 1) two less home than previous years; 2) big time gaps between games; 3) after playing an exhibition tilt against D2 Pace why open against such weak team like Bryant and then immediately go on the road to play a formidable opponent, 4) not being clever enough in the Nevada game negotiations that made it monetarily easy for them to renege; 5) postponing the return game with Alabama for a neutral site game with West Virginia; and 6) playing in a far off Christmas tourney in Hawaii that does not have a stellar cast of teams. I can only conclude that so many scheduling warts was a consequence of becoming desperate as obstacles arose in putting together the schedule. I know scheduling is a difficult task, but some long term planning has to be included
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steviep123 wrote: 5 years ago

To borrow a phrase from Bill Simmons, there's comedy, there's high comedy, then there's Sean MC's posts. I completely forgot about him until reading this. I didn't even know he was banned here lol....although it's not surprising. He's in his own black/white/grey glass colored world. While I don't normally read the PC board (and until clicking the link just now, it's probably been a year or two), Coren seems reasonable and I've met Darth Friar in person a couple of times a number of years ago, and he seemed like a good guy in person.
Coren is reasonable and Darthfriar is funny but very much a PC fan and URI hater - I can perfectly relate to that in the opposite direction and can respect that attitude

For SeanMc to get banned from KeaneyBlue says a lot. Our moderators are flexible, reasonable and allow a pretty long leash but SeanMc continued to abuse the privilege and got himself banned. I got banned from the PC board many years ago but I don’t hold that against The mods there - my fault to go into enemy territory and push too far.
SeanMc doesn’t get that and in fact trashes our moderators and some posters and brings up comments from way back to try to justify why he should not have gotten banned.
As I remember most everyone here was fed up with his anti URI rhetoric. Then sneak back onto Keaney Blue 3 months ago and gets identified again !!
Can make this stuff up
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RIFan wrote: 5 years ago Coach Tyron’s Instagram story shows 3 pt shooting practice.
Excellent. Should be all set now.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 years ago
Excellent. Should be all set now.
Lol
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Finally got around to looking at some box scores. Why did Ryan Preston only play 3 minutes against PC, especially with Harris in foul trouble all game? In the previous game against Brown, he had 6 points and 8 rebounds in 11 minutes.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Billyboy, that box score should be burned. It burns my eyes looking at it. CT with 30 minutes and 4 pts, 25% from the field and 0% from 3. ugh.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah have to agree with 78 Preston needs a lot more than 3 minutes
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Preston's man to man defense is pretty bad. He was taken out right after he went for a little fake by Jackson and Jackson went right to the hoop and got fouled.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

This is where it started. This was the true canary in the coal mine.

The problems people bitched about during this game persist 3 years later.

If you’re looking for signs of improvement- go back and look at previous games, see what we bitched about, and see if anything changed.

Now it’s the off-season after the worst season in 6 or 7 years. I would hear an argument that this was the worst season since Baron’s last. At least when he was fired we had hope.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago Way too many people are letting Cox off the hook by saying it's not the coach who is missing the shots. No, he's not on the court, but he's done a poor job of coaching so far, and it's his coaching that has directly lead to the poor offense.

We always knew there would be a transition as guys took new roles and we worked freshmen in. The one thing we had going for us, the ONE thing, was we had an experienced point guard who has shown the ability to score while getting everyone else involved and putting them in position to score. What does Cox do? Moves Jeff off the ball. Who does that?

Ok, so we're going to squander having Jeff at point guard and what that gives us, we must have some really great point guard option in place, right? No! For all the good things Fatts has done in his time here, he's never shown an ability to be a point guard. He looks for his own shot far too often and shoots at a low percentage. Letting him run the offense was always going to lead to too many poor shot choices and wasted possessions, plus it didn't let Jeff put Fatts in good places to score. So now you've got a struggling Fatts, who you still give the green light to, and no one to set him up on the floor because he's the point guard. All of that is bad coaching.

Starting Saturday Cox has to change things up and go with the radical strategy of having our point guard play the point. I know that sounds like crazy talk, but it's just crazy enough that it might work.

I don't have an opinion on Fatts' playing time right now, I can see merit to both sides. You don't want to sit him and make him feel like he's being punished and get further down on himself, especially since it's not his fault, it's Cox' for not putting him in position to succeed. At the same time, his performance is hurting our ability to win. I just know he should not be our point guard, even if Jeff isn't on the floor.

Also, has anyone figured out why Cox takes a time out midway through the second half after we make a basket. He does it every game and I don't understand it, no one I sit around does either, and I can't say it's something I recognize other coaches doing.
Holy shit, I had Cox pegged 6 games in
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago Way too many people are letting Cox off the hook by saying it's not the coach who is missing the shots. No, he's not on the court, but he's done a poor job of coaching so far, and it's his coaching that has directly lead to the poor offense.

We always knew there would be a transition as guys took new roles and we worked freshmen in. The one thing we had going for us, the ONE thing, was we had an experienced point guard who has shown the ability to score while getting everyone else involved and putting them in position to score. What does Cox do? Moves Jeff off the ball. Who does that?

Ok, so we're going to squander having Jeff at point guard and what that gives us, we must have some really great point guard option in place, right? No! For all the good things Fatts has done in his time here, he's never shown an ability to be a point guard. He looks for his own shot far too often and shoots at a low percentage. Letting him run the offense was always going to lead to too many poor shot choices and wasted possessions, plus it didn't let Jeff put Fatts in good places to score. So now you've got a struggling Fatts, who you still give the green light to, and no one to set him up on the floor because he's the point guard. All of that is bad coaching.

Starting Saturday Cox has to change things up and go with the radical strategy of having our point guard play the point. I know that sounds like crazy talk, but it's just crazy enough that it might work.

I don't have an opinion on Fatts' playing time right now, I can see merit to both sides. You don't want to sit him and make him feel like he's being punished and get further down on himself, especially since it's not his fault, it's Cox' for not putting him in position to succeed. At the same time, his performance is hurting our ability to win. I just know he should not be our point guard, even if Jeff isn't on the floor.

Also, has anyone figured out why Cox takes a time out midway through the second half after we make a basket. He does it every game and I don't understand it, no one I sit around does either, and I can't say it's something I recognize other coaches doing.
Moving Jeff off the point was the first sign of disaster. It truly was.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Yep. When I read your quote there I couldn't figure out what year that came from at first because it applies to all three!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago

Moving Jeff off the point was the first sign of disaster. It truly was.
Three games before this PC game was the game where Fatts defied Cox and took the last shot, ignoring the play Cox drew up. That was the first sign that Fatts was going to have complete free reign instead of the coaching he needed. The game after that was a completely lethargic ten point loss to Stony Brook, which foreshadowed the multiple times where Cox' team didn't seem prepared to play a game. All of it was all right there in the first six games. And since there's been no improvement since his first month on the job, it's completely unreasonable to think there will be from now going forward. People always make the most improvement at the beginning of a new position
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

There's just been a lot of STUPID over the last 3 years.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I will never forget that Cox took Jefe off the point though. We all saw it a few games into his reign and jumped on it. Worst decision I have seen.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago I will never forget that Cox took Jefe off the point though. We all saw it a few games into his reign and jumped on it. Worst decision I have seen.
Yes I totally agree with you guys that was Cox biggest mistake taking the ball out of JD hands one of the best true point guards in our history
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Can't say you were wrong...even worked in a reference to his bizzaro-world timeouts....very, very well played.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man wrote: 5 years ago I will regret this post. But I am out on Cox. He’s letting a player run his team. Fatts and Dave Cox cost us this game.

Fatts has phenomenal potential. He is a mental wreck right now. Dave Cox let him decide this game. Dumb shots. Awful turnovers. Me first play looking for a number 1 jersey worthy effort.

Cox should’ve sat him 2 games ago. He didn’t.

This is an embarrassment. Cox is too passive to ever be an effective D1 coach. He’s an amazing person. Great family man. Solid bench coach and awesome recruiter.

But he is not a head coach. He doesn’t possess the stones to stand up to his own players and is letting his “number one” walk all over him to keep playing time up.

I’m sick and I hate everyone who ever doubted how dan Hurley coached this team. We deserved to offer him the contract that he was offered a year too late.

This fan base never deserved someone like Hurley and now we get to continue our march to irrelevance because we don’t have a fan base that cares. Can’t wait for 3 more years of Cox letting his players dictate playing time
And play calling.

We suck. We will forever suck. And I hate the world that I live in.

Go Rhody and I’ll forever be an empty shell of a person because I root for a team that can never be good.
Like RR02...I had the situation pegged unfortunately.

Albeit maybe a few too many that night...
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Except the part about solid bench coach.....no
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago Except the part about solid bench coach.....no
Just because the guy isn’t a head coach doesn’t mean he’s not a good bench coach. He was a great help to Hurley on the trail and to get Dan to move away from man in certain situations.

You absolutely want DC on your staff. You just don’t want him in the #1 chair.

Give to Rhody's NIL
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Friars just beat #10 Villanova. In other news, our coach still stinks.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Were up 17 at the halftime and got a WAtson tip with 2.8 for the win good win for them
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Another injury for Villanova. UConn has a good chance to win the BE tourney.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

PeteRI wrote: 3 years ago Friars just beat #10 Villanova. In other news, our coach still stinks.
Gillespie was out, and one of their other best players exited early in the first half, so not exactly a crazy huge win.
Go Rhody
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago
PeteRI wrote: 3 years ago Friars just beat #10 Villanova. In other news, our coach still stinks.
Gillespie was out, and one of their other best players exited early in the first half, so not exactly a crazy huge win.
I love it. Mediocrity and an excuse to keep Cooley.

Give to Rhody's NIL
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago
I love it. Mediocrity and an excuse to keep Cooley.
Cooley is staying no matter what and actually deserves too at least for one or two more years. But you are being kind saying we are mediocre.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

At least you beat good teams now and then, even though they are wildly inconsistent.

Cooley isn't going anywhere, he's owed a ton of money.
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago At least you beat good teams now and then, even though they are wildly inconsistent.

We beat a Villanova team who was on their 3rd pg who may even be a walk on I'm not sure. But actually did play
pretty good defense in the first half. I dont know if that was just because Villanova was out if sorts because if losing two pg's. We have not played D all year not even sure they are capable.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

bump
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

woodennickel1 wrote: 3 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago At least you beat good teams now and then, even though they are wildly inconsistent.

We beat a Villanova team who was on their 3rd pg who may even be a walk on I'm not sure. But actually did play
pretty good defense in the first half. I dont know if that was just because Villanova was out if sorts because if losing two pg's. We have not played D all year not even sure they are capable.
What was most shocking about PC's game yesterday is the fact that there is another Arcidiacono. The last one had a solid 12 year career at Nova...wonder if this one will be more of the same.